Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cschneider3cschneider3 Member Posts: 39
    You were able to get a College Rebate? Was that from Mazda or from the dealer you worked with? I was informed that Mazda does not offer a College Rebate at this time.

Could you let me know how much the rebate was for? Thanks!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    was informed that Mazda does not offer a College Rebate at this time.

Correct, there is no such rebate issued from Mazda. Actually, there are no incentives, rebates of any kind for the Mazda3 issued by MNAO.
  • msp1986msp1986 Member Posts: 7
    No I had no trade-in. Yeah we thought it was a good deal and looked for hidden incentives, but we couldn't find any. I guess they really needed to sell a car. It was a Friday at the end of the month in May.
  • afwejiafweji Member Posts: 8
    The $500 I got off will be (hopefully) a rebate check sent from Mazda. According to the form I filled out, the last day of the incentive was June 30. They required a form be filled out and sent with a most recent grade report.

Are you guys in California? The car was bought from a dealer in the Bay Area. Maybe it varies by state or certain geographic regions? I'm not sure. Hopefully the rebate does come...the dealer and finance people said there was a rebate. If not, I have paperwork to prove it. Hope this helps!
    I'm in the North East. I guess it could vary from region to region. If there is a college grad rebate, it sure is not in the North East.

Thats also weird that the dead line was June 30th, because last months programs and rebates ended July 5th. Unless there was something special about your region.

Are you sure this was not a dealer rebate?
  • slateracslaterac Member Posts: 85
    I just wanted to let you all know that I bought the mazda 3 i touring, sunroof, abs side airbags, wheel locks, cargo net, auto dimming mirror with compass for 16,300 otd after my trade in of 2000. I love this car. I got the nordic green mica with the tan interior. I love the color and haven't seen one on the road like mine, which was a reason for getting that color. I've driven about 350 miles so far and I'm getting between 26-30 mpg. Thanks for all your help everyone and I'll be sure to post to help the next person looking for a car like I was.

Sincerely,

slaterac.
    Congrads on your new Mazda. I'm sure you will be very happy with it. It's a great car and fun to drive.

After a few fill up's, you will start to notice better gas mileage.
    Yeah I know it will get better but I don't think it's that bad right now. I can tell in the city that the gas is used up a little faster but that may just be me getting used to driving the car. I'm filling it up today and I think I got an average of about 26-27 mpg on the first tank, which was a lot of beach driving over the fourth of july holiday.

slaterac.
  • cschneider3cschneider3 Member Posts: 39
    It must vary from region to region because I am in the Midwest and was informed that there was no such thing as a college grad rebate.

Congrats to you on being able to utilize that, wish I could have! But I can't complain because I ended up with the Mazda 6 for 3500 under invoice and a few extras added on. I'm now looking at the Mazda 3 for my parents, so hopefully they will be driving in style soon!
  • alpsiealpsie Member Posts: 6
    I got quoted $19,000 (7% sales tax area)out of the door for
    Mazda 3 i touring AT with
    1. sunroof + 6 cd changer package and
    2. ABS package

What do you think??
  • afwejiafweji Member Posts: 8
    I'm sure it's not a dealer rebate. The paperwork is from Mazda itself. Has anyone else around these forums gotten the college incentive? Over here in the bay it's been advertised weekly in the car ads (although it is over right now). From the form I have, it says the incentive ended on June 30th. Anyway I'm kinda interested in knowing if this was regional or not.
  • villebilliesvillebillies Member Posts: 14
    recently got mazda3 i touring manual with sunroof and side airbag for 16,100 plus tax title. Hope that helps!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    so your saying they lost $500-1000 (depending on the region) to sell you a car?
    Are you questioning me?

yes
    sorry the price was 16,040 not 16,100 you were right I was off on the price, jack***.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    There is a $500 college graduate rebate offer thru Mazda, but it is only for 'select cities'. That stinks. The main purpose of the college grad incentives is to establish some brand loyalty amongst young, first time buyers.
    I'm still trying to figure out why a dealer would want to lose money on a car that sells without any incentives....just doesn't make sense.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    I bought it back in December, so I'm sure that accounts for some of the discount I managed to negotiate. My car stickered for $18,100 and the driveout price was $16,000 exactly. That was after a $500 Mazda Zoom Zoom coupon that I had and didn't include sales tax. I had to go to Knoxville TN (from Atlanta) to get the deal I wanted on the exact car I wanted. IT was worth it though. I paid $875 sales tax here in Georgia, so my driveout was actually $16,875.

I got the 3 s Touring 5-door, 5-speed manual, Titanium Gray, no options. I got the Touring because I wanted the side airbags. Since the 5-door has the 17" wheels standard, they air bags are actually the only things the Touring model adds to the standard 's'.

Anyway, for under $17k out the door I got an amazing car. After 16 years of driving, this is my first non-Honda/Acura vehicle and I couldn't be happier with it.

Kinda wish I'd sprung for the sunroof/6CD changer though.
    maybe they have something going on, I dont know bud. All I know that is the price we agreed on. We have worked out the itemized list of costs. my tax and title and fees came out to 1100 something plus 16,000, I think the out the door was about 17,200. I have the exact sticker to the car listing all of its options. If they try to screw me it will be hard to do so, should I put a down payment on it?
    We did alot of college grad incentives before mazda pulled the program. As you mentioned they are testing a new program but nothing national yet. Most of the grads purchased the Mazda3 and based on the 3 sales they are buying it anyway...so I guess mazda didn't think the extra incentive would drive additional sales....

I would like to see it return nationally. It helped us make some deals.
    If they try to screw me it will be hard to do so, should I put a down payment on it?

That is up to you...if you feel its the car for you, the dealership is professional, the price is what you want to pay and its in your budget they go for it.
    so why do you find it so hard to believe it is the price I am getting?
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Because there are no incentives on the 3 right now, and at that price the dealer is most likely losing money even if he threw in his holdback (which I believe is 2% for Mazda?) In addition, there are not that many 06's left in the supply chain since Mazda is rolling out the 07's soon, and the 3 has been having very strong sales lately. In other words, there is tight supply and good demand. Most dealers would not lose money in that scenario.

I would just double check with the dealer before you drive down there. There are many tales of folks getting one quote and a dealer tries to pull a fast one once they have you there. That said, that is a great deal, and if it is for real I would jump on it fast.

If you do put a deposit down make sure it is refundable. If it is not, I smell a rat....
  • galchingalchin Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard how much Mazda is going to raise the price on the 2007 3S? I want a 3S Touring 5-door, but I can't find an 06 now in the Velocity Red color that I want, so it's either take one in Silver or Gray, or wait for an 07. I know the warranty is going to change, but I don't know that that would offset the disappointment of not getting the color I want (plus I'd like to get one with leather and not have to take the moonroof with it). Will the price increase be substantial? Apparently Mazda isn't telling their dealers about any increase as of yet.
  • tidalwavetidalwave Member Posts: 25
    How much of an increase could there be in the price of a car that is not really that expensive to begin with? More importantly, if you go with a color you don't really want, you will probably regret it in the long run. I can see a person walking up to the car everyday, saying "I should have gotten the red one."

When I am undecided about a major purchase, I always feel it is best to wait. Things seem to work out better that way. Of course, that is just how I see it.

What is changing about the warranty?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    My local dealer is advertising $2K off on his Mazda3..

That is below invoice, on even the most expensive model...

Why would he do it? Of course, I don't know...

But, it could be that....

1) He is willing to dip into holdback to make deals..

2) He is overstocked on inventory, and would still have leftover Mazda3s on the lot, when the '07s come in..

3) He is facing a cash crunch and needs to move inventory to pay back loans.

4) He gets a volume incentive from Mazda, based on the number of units he moves this month..

I don't pretend to know the business model for every dealer, but you can find deals out there on many different models that are at Invoice - Incentives - Holdback.. Does that make any sense? Perhaps not, but GM sells more cars in the USA than any other manufacturer, and still loses money on each one.. That doesn't make any sense, either..

My point is... some cars are sold for a loss.. whether the dealer actually loses money on the car, once all the variables are taken into account is debatable.. As long as I get a low price, their profit margin really isn't that important to me...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you kyfdx, well put, my thoughts exactly.
  • ptchangptchang Member Posts: 7
    Any rec. on a houston-area dealer?

I am looking to buy 5-door Mazda3 when the 2007 models come out. AT with either Touring or Grand Touring trim.

Thanks,
    The other reason you didn't mention is probably the real one....its a number designed to get people into the showroom. They don't really want to sell it ;) Then they clobber the customer in the finance office and short change the trade value...There ain't somethin for nuthin.
    Well what if the financing and price have already been negotiated before stepping foot in the dealership and it is written down for an exact car with an exact vin number and no trade in discussed? Then what are some ways they will or can screw you? (oh and you already have a deposit on said car)
    Thanks
    maybe they are from the flood in DE and that's why they are offering 2k off. I don't know but I just thought I'd throw that out there to watch out for. That's a great deal of money off for a car that is in such demand right now.

slaterac.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    True... but...

I'm familiar with the dealership.. Priced a P5 there a few years ago.. You are correct, they'll do anything they can to make it up somewhere else... and, like all advertising, it is designed to get customers in the door..

But, if you know what you are doing, they will let it go for the advertised price..

Also, I have to disagree with our other member that the Mazda3 is still in high demand/short supply... I see dozens in stock at all of my local dealerships... This is the third model year for the car, and the fourth year will be here soon... The deals should be a lot closer to invoice than MSRP, no matter where you buy..

Don't get me wrong, it is still a great little car.. (sounds familiar..hmmm...lol), but it isn't the latest and greatest thing out there any more...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    I agree with the previous post. In my part of southern Ohio numerous dealers have mazda 3s all over the lot. Some dealers have several 05 Hatchback models hanging around. (One dealer has 5 of em) The Hatches don't seem to be as popular as the sedans. The 06's are just about yesterdays news and the 05's are stale yesterdays news at this point.

link title has ads from dealers all over the country advertising different models. Some are of course teasers but some are legit. Its pretty interesting.

The 05 3s sedan w airbag option is a $13500 vehicle after a year or so so judge your purchase from that point. Shoot for $600 -$ 1000 below invoice for the 06 sedan and 800-1500 for the hatch. Shoot for $1000+ more for any 05s (usually hatches)left.

As usual, doing your research the first 3 weeks of the month and your inquiries the last 7-10 days or so is usually the most productive. Have to know what you want, get 10-15 bids,(maybe less for mazda ) let the sales or fleet manager (who you should talk to ) know you're getting competitive bids. Do this by fax or phone of course and don't screw around with the salesman-salesmanager-internet manager runaround etc if possible.

I've purchased many cars over the years, and the link titlepackage I've seen is the closest to perfect way to buy a new car I've seen. M ay be useful and economical for some of you.

Rotsa ruck

--jjf
  • robby1robby1 Member Posts: 7
    Mazda 3's out the yingyang?
    I now do understand why "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"....
    Just because there are cars sitting on dealers lots does not mean anything.
    1- Most of the best selling trim levels are nowhere to be found (i touring auto, S touring auto...)
    2-Most dealers have less than a 20 day supply of 3's with most of their incoming units sold and 2007's still 2 months away.

To me that is a car that should be selling for full price anyday, problem is Mazda dealers , unlike honda, don't know yet how to handle sales of such a highly demanded model.
    To me that is a car that should be selling for full price anyday, problem is Mazda dealers , unlike honda, don't know yet how to handle sales of such a highly demanded model.

I happen to agree. Here's the problem...Myself being a Mazda dealer, we try to hold gross on every car. I work to make a living, not make friends. Most Mazda buyers want to shop around, and once that person goes to another dealer, that other dealer immediately drops their pants to invoice or a few hundred above. In some instances, below invoice.

Now, I understand that you need to do what you need to do to make a deal, I do it all the time. But, I don't drop my pants, and kill any chance I had to make money.

Most dealers here in the North East give all the money away, rather quickly. Unless it's a MX-5. That has been my experience. I just had a customer that was quoted $300 below invoice on the first shot from another Mazda dealer and wanted me to beat it. It seems like MSRP is a fictitious number that needs not to be mentioned anymore.

With the supply and demand issue with these Mazda3's, to be selling well below invoice is mind boggling.

But, whats even more mind boggling is if you go to a Mazda dealer and try to get the MX-5 $300 below invoice, or even AT invoice, they dealer will laugh, and tell you to have a nice day.
    I agree with you robby. The dealer I used wasn't getting any more for weeks and had very little left on his lot. He had a few manuals but not automatics. They had to drive to Philadelphia to get the car that I wanted.

slaterac.
    slaterac, I agree with you too, it really depends on what options you want. I insisted on a manual iTouring model with SAB package, and moonroof/6 disc changer.. The dealer I bought from (they own three local Mazda dealerships) had about 50+ cars in their inventory but only two that met my criteria. The dealer was willing to go $100 below invoice, but it took some work from my end (about 2 weeks of correspondence). No way are any 3's selling for $1000+ under invoice in my neck of the woods.. If so, they would have to be a program car and my dealer had zero program cars.

Mazda 3 had its best selling month last month (June 06). I cannot imagine why dealers would offer 1K+ under invoice when there is no manufacturer incentive on this car. While the 3 is not exactly the latest compact car on the market, it is clearly at the top (look at all the awards it has won over the last few years). Its not like we are talking about a Dodge Neon or Chevy Cavalier here..
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Although a hot new model will normally sell for more (relatively) than a car that has been around for a few model years - you need to look at the whole auto industry not just one company.

Just because a model (say the Mazda3) is in demand it does not always mean they will sell at a higher price. Mazda must compete with everyone else - if the Ford dealer (or whoever) 1/4 mile away is selling below invoice the Mazda dealership (if they have a clue) will know it - if a customer has 1/2 of a brain they will not come into the Mazda dealer and say - I must have the Mazda3 - no other car will do - even though I can buy a Corolla below invoice - get a big rebate on a Focus - buy a Civic for $150 over invoice - or get a Cobalt with 0% interest for 60 months - I don't care - BTW how much for that red Mazda3 - I must have red or my wife will get mad - and this is the only red one in the state - will you give me a good deal?

Many dealerships would rather have a deal that makes them $250 NOW - then hold out in hopes the customer will come back in a few days and pay a few hundred more. Its all about NOW. If you have ever been in a competitive business you would understand this.
    Many dealerships would rather have a deal that makes them $250 NOW - then hold out in hopes the customer will come back in a few days and pay a few hundred more

I would have to agree with you there. I basically said that in an earlier post.

I will basically do anything to make a deal, obviously. I'm going to try and make money, first, if that does not work, then I do what I have to do within reason.

My philosophy is, if a dealer is going to make no money on a sale, it might as well be me! I would rather take the short deal, then have another dealer take that deal. Usually that sale will lead to service money, and possible referrals. It's good in the long run.
  • bhodawaybhodaway Member Posts: 5
    Hi there....I haul a pretty large piano keyboard/amp/etc and I wanted to know how long (in feet/inches) it is from the back of the rear seats to the rear hatch. (Of course, when the rear seat is folded down.) Also what are the width measurements w/ the 40/60 splits, etc? Thanks so much!
    "Now, I understand that you need to do what you need to do to make a deal, I do it all the time. But, I don't drop my pants, and kill any chance I had to make money.

Most dealers here in the North East give all the money away, rather quickly. Unless it's a MX-5. That has been my experience. I just had a customer that was quoted $300 below invoice on the first shot from another Mazda dealer and wanted me to beat it. It seems like MSRP is a fictitious number that needs not to be mentioned anymore"

I suggest folks find the dealer(s) who will as this writer put it "drop his pants". He also notes that they do exist. Assure our hero who will deal that you will get your car serviced there. (if this is true ) and you will give him the highest of customer satisfaction ratings on any surveys.

Fax the sales/fleet (forget the silly college student internet manager) managers with your requirements (preferably 10+) With mazda some of you may have to cast your net wide(100+ miles toyota nissan and especially chevy have more dealerships) , flexiblility on colors and styles and a few extra add-ons will greatly enhance ones results. Out of our group of 10-20 We will get 5-12 responses and 1-3 or more of these may be our "heroes" The eager beavers will call back.

This is very easy with fax software and especially if you have a desk job.

Do this toward the last 8-10 days of the month. Make them aware they are in a competitive bidding situation. Too many managers/owners have seen a good month go south or a mediocre one become good at this point. Forget walking into your local dealership at 8 pm the last day of the month. The writing is probably on the wall at this point and the probability this dealership is one of our "heroes" is about 2-3/15 or about 20%, probably worse on the last day.

If you just gotta have the one purple mx3 touring etc etc within 500 miles to get you're probably going to have to pay up. (However a hero may still come thru)

Inform them you plan to purchase before the end of the month. if their (telephone response) involves a lot of runaround "be easier if you came in " etc... tell them you've got 5 more responses to receive and you need their best "I'm a sales manager who wants to book a low profit deal at the end of the month" shot. Our heroes will be the most co-operative and inquisitive with follow up calls. Those less eager will yank us around more and naturally de-select themselves

Fightingchance.com seems to have one of the more useful services available. No absolute value under invoice can be assured but by buying like any other commodity (and thats what most new cars are) one can get one of the better (best?) deals available on any car in a given month.

Also be aware that the the websites or dealer you are automatically directed to or select to give quotes are sometimes limited. A few dealers pay for exclusive rights on some websites in some areas. Use the dealer locator on the manufacturers websites and get a useful # of firms (within 50-200 mi) there.

--jjf
    This is very easy with fax software and especially if you have a desk job.

most dealers will toss form letter blast faxes into the trash...
  • msp1986msp1986 Member Posts: 7
    That is a "ok deal. The key is going to your couple local dealerships and picking from whats there to get the best price. If you want a specific thing and they have to get it yeah its going to be closer to MSRP. Just settle with what they have a test drive it. I got a 3i base with some added options for $925 BELOW INVOICE (Plus TTT. Go there and tell them your poor and have a preset limit...not let them fool with the monthly payments.
    I agree that it is easier to get a better deal based on what the dealer has in stock, but some folks may insist on side-airbags for instance.

I was lucky in that the dealership I bought from had over 50 3's in stock (they own three dealerships in the area) so they had the exact options I wanted. No way was I not going to get the SAB package though.. Well worth the extra money..
    Not if one has the cute chicky receptionist at the desk give you

a) the sales/fleet managers name (to address your letters to)

b) His/her personal fax line if any (about 1/2 of dealerships have this.

--jjf
  • djp9adjp9a Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a Mazda 3 S with the following options: Automatic, Moonroof/6 CD changer, Side Air Bags and Side Curtains Package and wheel locks.

For the vehicle, I paid $18,700 (including destination). For Out the door, it came to $19,650. It was in Fairfax, Virginia, where the sales tax on cars is 3.20 percent.

It was very difficult to find a dealer that had the car with the options I wanted. I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on whether the price I paid was too high, too low, etc.

Thanks!
    I also live in Northern VA, and shopped at a number of dealers before I bought my 3.

That said (assuming this is the sedan, not the hatchback), the invoice on the car with the features that you highlighted is 18,228 (including destination). Northern VA dealers tack on a $200-300 processing fee as well, was this included in 18,700 price? If not, then you may have paid a little more than you should of (I got mine for $100 under invoice). In the future, also look at some of the Maryland dealers. www.fitzmall.com pretty much sells at invoice and has a great selection. I used the quotes from Fitzmall and Browns Alexandria Mazda actually beat them by $190.

In the end, you did not get ripped off, but you probably could have saved $400-500 if you shopped some more. Also, buying towards the end of the month helped me. In addition, I always email as many dealers in the area to get as many quotes as possible before I narrow it down to 2-3 dealers that I will work with.
  • vancewadevancewade Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

Just sent out faxed requests for bids to dealers a couple hundred miles in every direction from our home in North Carolina. Got what I think is a good bid from a Maryland dealer (details below, if anyone wants to analyze). But it includes a $240 "Washington D.C. Assessment fee" in addition to the $99 processing fee (which I know MD dealers charge). I can find no online reference to any such legitimate fee. In addition, I can't imagine why I'd have to pay anything to the District of Columbia when I'm buying a car in Maryland and when I live in North Carolina. I'd love to get everyone's feedback on whether this is legit.

Here's the deal:
    5-door, Mazda3 S-GT base price: $18,135
    Sunroof/Bose/6CD bundle: $1,148
    Wheel locks: $32
    Destination: $560
    Tag and title: $83 (including $15 MD temp. license so I can drive it back to N.C.)
    Processing: $99
    Washington D.C. Assessment: $240
    N.C. Highway use tax (this is def. legit; it's instead of sales tax): $632.07

Total out-the-door: $21,784.07
    OTD minus tax, tag, title= $21,069

Thanks in advance for your insights.

--Vance
    Did you contact fitzmall.com (they are in Maryland)? That DC assessment fee is bogus.. I did not pay that, and none of the dealers I contacted (live in Northern, VA) had that fee. Also, you should not have to pay tag and title (except the $15 temp tag fee) until you get to NC. The $99 processing fee is definitely legit and not very negotiable.

I am almost positive Fitzmall can beat that price (they are selling some of their Grand Touring Sport 3's under invoice on the web, and have no other crazy fees):
    http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/search.asp?lstMake=MAZDA

Sort by Internet price since that is what you should be paying. Also, I would call Browns Mazda:
    www.brownscar.com

They beat fitzmall's price when I was shopping last month and I purchased the car under invoice (plus it is closer for you to drive).

Good luck!
  • econdudeecondude Member Posts: 1
    I have a question. I am told that I am getting sold a car for $200 under invoice, for 18,700. This is a Mazda 3 S Touring with Automatic Transmission and Moonroof. A couple dealerships have mentioned that invoice price for this car is 18,900. Is this correct? I see on Edmunds that they say that invoice price should be closer to 18,700 with the specified options. Am I just missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.