Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sakusmithsakusmith Member Posts: 1
    There is a Mazda 3 s touring, blue mica, with moonroof/6 c.d., compass mirror, rear wing spoiler for 21,310 at a dealership by me. Do you think i would be able to negotiate down to say 18 or 19,000??
  • scrybe74scrybe74 Member Posts: 3
    I'm just finishing negotiations right now on a mazda3 s sport with the sac option. I eventually got them to give it to me for $100 under invoice. How I did it was to email 5 dealerships in the surrounding area telling them what I want. 3 responded and 2 gave me low quotes. I visited one in person but told them that I wanted to wait 1-2 weeks before buying so I LEFT no matter what they said. I stayed in contact and got a really low quote from the 2nd dealer on the car I wanted (i touring). Later I decided that I wanted the i touring with sac/ab package. The 2nd dealer had one in stock but the 1st dealer didn't so I was set to go to the 2nd dealer (about $400 over invoice). The 1st dealer called me back a day later and said that they would give me the s touring for $100 under invoice if I wanted it but they needed to know in advance because they had to swap with another dealer to get it. I told them that I'd think about it. It was more than I wanted to spend but it was such a good deal. The 2nd dealer emailed me earlier today that the i touring with sac/ab was sold, etc....(not sure if they even had it to be honest). The 1st dealer called me again and asked if I still wanted the car because another customer was interested. I told them to go ahead and sell it! The salesperson responded that they wouldn't sell it if I would just promise to buy it. NO deposit required. Just my word. I finally agreed as long as the terms of the deal didn't change.

Moral of the story...do your research, have options and be willing to walk away. Specifically I would price it out here on Edmunds and make them an offer either at invoice or a couple of hundred dollars below and let them know that you are ready to buy if they an agree to terms.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    So, when do you get the car?
  • gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    "So with that in mind, that dealership was quoting me $200 off, plus this coupon makes it $700. I went ahead and called back the original place I had gone to, the one discussed in part one. I told them my pricing, and said "this dealership is quoting me $22586 (OTD), which is $200 below invoice, but I have a $500 coupon for them, making it $22086 (OTD). I told him if he wanted my business, he'd have to beat them."

Calvin--no offense, but sometimes buyers on this--and other prices paid forums--fail to see the forest for the trees. By that I mean you are so obsessed with focusing on OTD pricing that you ignore the much bigger picture where you'll really save money.

Now, if you are like the typical American buyer you will be putting no money down, or worse, have negative equity from a prior purchase. That mistake alone will cost you so much more than you than recoup from any negotiating on OTD price.

Perhaps your fico score won't allow you to finance on the most favorable terms. Mazda had 1.8% APR when I bought my 3 in March and I believe it's 1.9% now for the "most qualified" buyers

You'll also likely finance for some protracted time frame and that will also cost you big time. I crunched a few #s for you below:

#1--You buy for your target price of $21,900 @ 7.5% interest which yields payments of $439/month for 5 years. Lets be generous and say you saved $1000, even $2000, off dealer MSRP. The total interest you'll pay is $4430.00 over the term of the loan.

#2--Now let's say you buy for your highest figure $22,586. Again with no money down, you qualify for the 1.8% for 3 years. Your monthly payment will be $644/month for the 3 years, but your interest is $632. Putting $5000 down would reduce your monthly payment to $502/month and your interest to $492.

In scenario 1 saving $686 on up-front cost. Unfortunately, you are spending roughly 7 times more, or $3748 on back-end interest.

Of course you'd save even more if you put 20% or more down. I'm paying a whopping $225 in interest on my Mazda3 S touring hatch and haven't worried a lick about whether I paid invoice or MSRP. While you are all tied up in knots complaining that you can't get a favorable deal quibbling over small change, I'm out enjoying driving a new car with almost a free loan. Plus I'll never be upside down on my car and I have bumper to bumper extended warranty from Mazda for an extra 4 years.

Gogiboy
  • scrybe74scrybe74 Member Posts: 3
    So....the first dealer flaked on me. I was all set to pick up the car this past Wednesday. I called my salesperson last Saturday to confirm that the car was still there and that I may decided to pick it up early (Sunday). She never called back so I called her Sunday and she said that she would get back to me later that day. She get's back to me on Monday (4/30) and tells me that the car is there but that it arrived damaged......you have GOT to be kidding. She then offered me another vehicle (wait for it) a ...2007 Saturn Vue. WTF???? I told her that I had zero interest in a Saturn. I have been talking with her for 2 weeks about a Mazda3 and now she's shoving a Saturn in my face? I think she couldn't back up the the deal she agreed to ($100 under invoice for a Mazda3 s sport with SAC/SAB) I told her to find me a car close to what I asked or make me a REALLY good deal for an i Touring.

I hung up with her and called back my second choice dealer. The sales guy I've been corresponding with online was off so I got his partner instead. I told him the deal the guy offered me on an i touring with sab/sac/abs package. Unfortunately that car was sold.....weeks before the guy offered it to me. I was starting to get pissed. But then this guy stepped up and made me an offer. He'd get me an s touring which comes standard with all the safety features I wanted. No extras or options added. $200 under invoice. I had to take it that night though. He honestly admitted that he was trying to get his numbers up for the month so if I came tonight he could do the deal. Done.

Galaxy Grey Mica 2007 Mazda3 s Touring. 5 spd manual, wheel locks. $17,700 including destination.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    You are forgetting one key fact - most folks that can afford a $644 car note will not be shopping for a mazda3 - nor are they likely to have $5,000 to drop as a down payment to get the payments more reasonable.

You got what you wanted using a cheap interest rate and are able to afford either a nice chunk down or the whopper payments that a 36 month term dictates (or both). That is super for you, but that would be atypical for almost every mazda3 buyer.

You are correct that they are probably tied up in knots. They should decide on the car they want (trim and options), find them using the inventory search at the musa web page, and start trying to deal with those dealers. They should also get pre-approved for cheap financing at their bank, credit union, or CapitalOne online before doing anything else. If MAC or the dealer can offer a better rate on a simple interest loan with the same term, then they would take it. Otherwise they use the money they have already secured.

Bouncing back and forth between different models, options, colors, dealers, coupons, etc sure takes a lot more effort. If I am paying big bucks for a car it had better be the right color and optioned the way I want it, or I will find one that is. Now, it is end of year and Mazda is doing $3k incentive on the left overs, you buy at invoice less incentive and take what they have left :D

Dennis
    Quite a tale to tell the kids!
    She then offered me another vehicle (wait for it) a ...2007 Saturn Vue. WTF
    Salespeople you've got to hand it to them; they can always come up with a line ... I can't imagine going from a Mazda3 to a Saturn Vue.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Salespeople you've got to hand it to them; they can always come up with a line ... I can't imagine going from a Mazda3 to a Saturn Vue.

I'm not surprised...Changes like that are not that uncommon. We see folks make wild changes in midstream all the time.
  • zzoomp09zzoomp09 Member Posts: 32
    Got the 3SGT hatch for 22350 with the following options about 3 months ago here in New Jersey...

Moonroof/6CD/Bose Audio
    Front Air Dam
    Compass Autodimming mirror
    Door edge guards
    Wheel locks
    Cargo mat
    All-weather floor mats
    Rear bumper step plates

Definitely below MSRP, but more than a grand above invoice. There were only 6 hatchbacks in this dealer (Sansone Rt1 Mazda), and the only GT and only 1 with a stick. Went to 8 dealers (Maxon Mazda, Wayne Mazda, Mazda of Lodi, Manhattan Mazda, Crystal Mazda, Ramsey Mazda, Koeppel Mazda, and finally, Sansone Rt 1 Mazda) and noone has a GT5dr with a stick. Gotta have those heated leather seats and HID headlights. Love sticks, specially this car, gets better gas mileage too.

Test drove the vehicle, got a grin from ear to ear, never drove an economy car like this one! Driven Civics, Sentras and Corollas, this one is definitely the most fun to drive. And I think I was taken advantage of because the salesperson felt I really want to have this specific car. Can't blame myself, I really loved the way this car drove!

They gave me the LoJack for 2 years, Extended Bumpter-to-Bumper Warranty to 6 years/100000 miles and Gap Insurancea, all for less than 1500. Plus NY tax (I live in NY, although I bought this in NJ), title and registration.

All in all, the car was around 24500, plus 2.9% financing for 5 years.

I'm just loving every minute I spend with this car!
    dwynne--

I agree completely with your assessment of the situation. I guess my feeling is that too many folks get all worked up over $500-$1000 difference between the price they feel they deserve and the price the dealer will honor. Those same people will give back the $1000 and more because they didn't find--or qualify for--the best financing, bought on a 5, 6, even 7 year note and/or rolled negative equity from their last purchase into the new car. But, damn it, they really got a great deal on the purchase price that they can come and brag about on the prices paid forum!

I realize that the Mazda3 is an entry level vehicle from a non-luxury brand, but what's wrong with taking the $435/month payment of scenario #1 and waiting 12 months ($5200 down), working on his credit worthiness (if necessary), then going to the dealership, striking a good deal and knowing that it won't be undermined later, by much more significant factors than the price.

I'm all for buyers negotiating the best possible price using Edmunds and other sources, but to calvin I'd say, life is too short to waste crying over car deals or dealers that did him wrong.

Gogiboy
  • stallionrestallionre Member Posts: 205
    Scrybe74,
    Sorry so late, I have not been on this site for 2 weeks, since something bad happen in my family.
    The guy that I bought my car from was Baldwin. Please see him. Call him, let him know that I sent you. You will get a great deal.

Thanks,
    stallionre
    We see folks make wild changes in midstream all the time.

You have a point. There was someone on another forum who was contemplating a tiny Toyota Yaris for its fuel economy until she decided on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I would never in my wildest dreams have seen the two in a comparison but that's me. "To each his own, it's all unknown" as Bobby would say.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    There was someone on another forum who was contemplating a tiny Toyota Yaris for its fuel economy until she decided on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I would never in my wildest dreams have seen the two in a comparison but that's me

We had a lady last night who is comparing a RX-8 to a Passat. Go figure.
  • klaw2000klaw2000 Member Posts: 2
    How successful has everyone been in getting the 1.9% financing? Just how qualified do you have to be to be considered "most qualified." I have a credit score of 706, hoping that I'll be able to get it.
    I think most banks think FICO 710 to 730 is the top tier. They may use the "auto enhanced" score (one you and I can't see) which puts more weight on automotive credit history. So your 706 FICO could go into the top tier if you have a good automotive credit past (paid off car loans/leases with no lates).

Keep in mind the 1.9% is only up to 36 months - a pretty hollow offer since they know 99% of the folks shopping for a Mazda3 can't afford to finance the car for such a short period of time.

Dennis
    I got 1.9% for 36 months, no problem, I was approved in 3 minutes. My FICO score is 820. You should also be fine.
  • mxtramxtra Member Posts: 12
    I got a quote online for a Mazda 3 iTouring with auto transmission, abs package, and rear wing spoiler for $17,450 and free lifetime oil/filter changes. This is the best offer the internet manager is willing to do after a few exchanged emails. MSRP is $18,520 and Invoice is $17,296. Should I take this deal or try somewhere else?

Also, does anyone know where online I can find a pic of this car with the rear wing spoiler. I've never actually seen this spoiler and the few negative comments I've read online about it are making me worry about how it looks. I don't want to go to the dealership until I'm ready to buy.
    "How successful has everyone been in getting the 1.9% financing? Just how qualified do you have to be to be considered "most qualified." I have a credit score of 706, hoping that I'll be able to get it."

I qualified for the 1.8% back in March. My score is over 800, though. I'm not sure where the cut off is, but the F & I guy said the 1.8% was a teaser rate and few of their customers qualified. I'm not sure if that statement speaks to the customers who buy Mazdas or to the poor state of personal financial responsibility in America. The term is for 3 years or less so a lot of buyers are unwilling or unable to finance for such a "short" period. I strongly urge you to do it if you can since it's virtually like free financing.

Gogiboy
    I got 1.9% with a score of 820. I heard that if you have score of 800 or more with nothing bad on your credit then you can actually get the 1.9%, however most people won't be able to get it. This is what I heard. You are right about the 3 year loan at 1.9%. My monthly interest is $15.60 a month, therefore, it is like having a free interest loan for that amount of time. Works for me. I am happy about that, however, I put down $15K. So that makes a huge difference.

When a dealer tells you 1.8% or 1.9%, that is the selling point to try to get you into the dealership and then stick it to you for more than that. They know how to do it, that is their business.
    In my opinion the rear wing spoiler looks aweful and riced out. Try gettting the rear lid spoiler. That looks sweet and not so riced out. ;)
  • mike245mike245 Member Posts: 5
    My score is 760 and I'm gettin' 2% on the speed 3 im buyin over at Mazda gallery on route 1, just outside Boston. Some pretty good deals if anyone's looking. Of all the dealers I went to, definitely the most cooperative.
    Not to saying you are wrong, but in my area the cheap money is no good on the speed3.

2007 MAZDA3 4-Door and 5-Door 1.9% APR for up to 36 MONTHS (1)(4)

(1) Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by June 4, 2007. See dealer for complete details
    (4) 36 MONTHS MAZDA AMERICAN CREDIT FINANCING AT $28.60 PER MONTH PER $1,000 FINANCED. 1.9% APR ONLY FOR WELL QUALIFIED BUYERS. NOT ALL BUYERS WILL QUALIFY. AMOUNT OF DOWNPAYMENT AND OTHER FACTORS MAY AFFECT QUALIFICATION. Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by June 4, 2007. See dealer for complete details. Excludes MAZDASPEED3

So I would not count on the cheap money until the deal is done and MAC funds the loan.

Dennis
    Thats fair. I just got down to 1.8% this morning, though. And ya the speed 3 isnt the cheapest car around, but I find its a lot of bang for your buck. And I like it a lot better than the SI I looked at. I also dont want a car that will require me to have it in the shop every 3 days. I was looking at a couiple saabs, but everyone I know who has one has to bring it to the shop every few weeks.And even if I do need to get something fixed; I looked into it and the gallery has a really good service record.
    I test drove an Si sedan yesterday (while they were changing the oil in my S2000) and I am heading out right now to drive a speed3. They just got one off the truck and I need to drive it before someone buys it :D . You can get cheap money on the Si for sure, around here no on the speed3. The $500 rebate coupon "for Mazda owners" they sent me also excludes the speed3 :( .

I am pretty sure I will like it better than the Si, but I can get the Honda for invoice or a bit less and about $800 over invoice is the best I can do on a speed3.

Dennis
    It is not posted on the MUSA web page yet, but the dealership said they just got new promotion deals on the Mazda3. They still have 1.9% for 36, but they also now have 48 and 60 month rates (the 60 is 4.9%) - sound like the same deal as Honda is offering on Civics.

I checked, and the speed3 is again excluded from the cheap rates - at lease in my area.

Dennis
  • digidavedigidave Member Posts: 48
    Just thought I'd add to the forum the recent deal we got for the daughter's car:

2007 Mazda3 S Touring automatic w/ Moonroof and 6CD package

Price before TTL: $19,624 (includes a "Philadelphia Assesment" of $193 and a "Warranty Retail Parts Recovery" of $32) Dealer showed me that this was the invoice (Edmunds shows $19,492 but doesn't account for the other line items). Also financed at 3.9% for 48 months.

Good, bad, or ?

BTW, this car rocks! A lot of bang for the buck, esp. with all the safety options the touring model provides.
    I got an e-mail today that confirms what the local dealer told me yesterday.

We have some exciting news to share! Visit your Mazda dealer this Memorial Day Weekend and take advantage of our special, limited-time offers! Right now, we're offering low APR financing on the 2007 MAZDA3, MAZDA6 and Mazda CX-7:

• 0.9% APR financing for 36 months!*
    • 3.9% APR financing for 48 months!*
    • 4.9% APR financing for 60 months!*

Or check out our amazing lease offers on the MAZDA3 and the all-new seven-passenger Mazda CX-9.

But don't wait—these exciting offers end May 31, 2007, so visit your Mazda dealer this weekend!

Zoom-Zoom!

David Klan
    Director of Marketing
    Mazda North American Operations

P.S. Remember to check out our special offers!

Mazda North American Operations – 7755 Irvine Center Drive – Irvine, CA 92618-2922

* 36 MONTHS MAZDA AMERICAN CREDIT FINANCING AT $28.16 PER MONTH PER $1,000 FINANCED. 48 MONTHS MAZDA AMERICAN CREDIT FINANCING AT $22.53 PER MONTH PER $1,000 FINANCED. 60 MONTHS MAZDA AMERICAN CREDIT FINANCING AT $18.83 PER MONTH PER $1,000 FINANCED. 0.9% APR, 3.9% APR AND 4.9% APR ONLY FOR WELL QUALIFIED BUYERS. NOT ALL BUYERS WILL QUALIFY. AMOUNT OF DOWNPAYMENT AND OTHER FACTORS MAY AFFECT QUALIFICATION.

Take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 5/31/07. See dealer for complete details. Excludes MAZDASPEED3 and MAZDASPEED6.
  • wilkich84wilkich84 Member Posts: 34
    Wow. Looks like a very good deal APR-wise. Anyone venture to guess whether they will have these deals around Labor day? Seems like the end of model year is always better but something may have changed in the market since I bought my last vehicle.
  • dan105dan105 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All, I'd like to take advantage of the low financing rates this weekend. I'm looking at a Mazda3 i Touring with the following: ABS/SAB/SAC, moonroof w/6CD, autodim mirror, all weather floor mats, door edge guards, and wheel locks.

MSRP $19,463 before TTL
    Invoice $18,103 before TTL

I'd appreciate opinions on what a fair price would be (before TTL).

Thanks!
    Well, I don't know exactly with all those options. But I would try to get $500 over MSRP. I know at Mazda Gallery in Norwood, finance rates are .9% this weekend. They were tellin me to wait and close the deal over the weekend. I think its the same everywhere else. Good luck :)
    But I would try to get $500 over MSRP

I hope you meant $500 over INVOICE - or else the dealers would chuckle every time you worked a deal with them :D .

A few hundred over invoice would be a decent price, as long as that included destination and dealer fees.

Dennis
    It would appear I donit know how to proofread
  • dan105dan105 Member Posts: 3
    Hi All, I offered the dealer $150 over invoice. He hemmed and hawed but finally agreed. The invoice amount that I had gotten from Edmunds was correct except the invoice also had an additional $215 "location Assessment". That is similar to what digidave reported in post #3092.

So the pricing went:
    $18,318 Invoice (including location assessment and $595 destination)
    150 agreed to "over invoice" price
    1,125.42 sales tax
    175.00 registration
    289.00 dealer conveyance fee

I took the 0.9 financing.

By the way, the registration and dealer conveyance fee varied from dealer to dealer.

Hope this info can help someone else looking to purchase.
    Thanks to all of you who contribute to this forum.
  • randyredlgrandyredlg Member Posts: 4
    I have an e-mail offer on i Touring. MSRP including destination is 17,750. Invoice is 16,656. Price is 15,606. This is well back of invoice.
    When I was RX-8 shopping a couple of years back, invoices I was shown by the dealer showed similar "Add ons". It appears they are normal for Mazda dealers and vary by region, it seems.

Dennis
  • _lennox__lennox_ Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys,

I've being reading the forums a lot lately as my family is deciding on a car, which all but points to Mazda.
    They most likely will end up with this version of the Mazda Sport: http://www.mazda.ca/eng/getin/mazdamaker/estimator.asp

I was wondering if there were any fellow Canadian's in Toronto or the GTA that would be able to help my family get the best possible deal. We are looking at financing between the range of $0 down - $2000 range. Does anyone have any tips or experiences they could perhaps share?

Thanks guys.
  • _lennox__lennox_ Member Posts: 4
    we are actually looking at leasing now instead. any advice?
  • th0mast33th0mast33 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Oh the phone, I worked out a deal with a fleet manager for a Mazda 3 S touring, and was wondering if you guys think I should go for it. BTW, this is in south bay/san jose area in California

Mazda 3 S touring w/ manual tranny, silver color
    Options: wheel locks...yea thats it
    MSRP according to edmunds: $19, 070
    TMV according to edmunds: $18, 343
    Invoice according to edmunds.com: $17, 881
    Negotiated price: $17, 400
    -the price includes destination and assessment fees

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
  • drinkduff77drinkduff77 Member Posts: 8
    Yeah that's a good price. I got mine (same trim level, no options) for $18200 but that was back in November when the '07's weren't discounting so much. Make sure you get an out the door price. Don't let them quote you a low sale price then add on a bogus $599 documentation fee.
  • missyc1missyc1 Member Posts: 17
    Where did you go in NJ? I am currently looking to by a Mazda3 s Grand Touring and looking for the BEST deal possible. So far the bets I have is Pacifico in Philly 20,362, but this is there "end of month/memorial day weekend deal" I'm wondering if I wait it out till the end of next month/end of quarter I can do better!?!? :shades:
    I am now the proud owner of my first Mazda3 s Touring, Manual with Moonroof package and Wing spoiler, Phantom Blue Mica :D$19,292.00 :D 5.9% Financing

Bought it at Mapleshade Mazda in NJ. Easy and smooth negotiating.

I can't wait to pick it up!
  • hankhill2hankhill2 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a Mazda 3 Hatchback Grand Touring,
    Pearl White with all options, except Navi.
    Gave $500.00 under invoice and got the .9% for 36 mths. This is in the DFW, Texas area.
  • turnpike1turnpike1 Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone here use the Costco service, and if so was the price they gave you negotiable?
    Picked my car up lastnight. My car is so badass I LOVE IT!

Phantom Blue looks different in every light. I'm so glad I went with it. It looks nothing like the chip you see in the brochures or online.

They through in All-weather mats and the body colored door guards too! All for $19,292.00. I think I made pretty good. :D
  • shatzishatzi Member Posts: 15
    Looking at buying a new Mazda3 for our daughter who is going to college in Sept. Does anyone know when is the best time to buy a 2007 - would it be July/August before the 2008 comes in Sept? Also, do you know if there will be any rebates for college students?
  • dh5551212dh5551212 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, it would appear you donit.
  • shatzishatzi Member Posts: 15
    I am looking to buy a 2007 Mazda3 s Touring 4 dr sedan for my daughter. Options would include 1MC Moonroof and 6-CD changer and Black Leather Seat Upholstery. What is the best price we could anticipate. I have seen model w/o the leather seats for $14,990. Would it pay to buy it and put in the leather seats after? If so does anyone know of a good aftermarket company in the Long Island area that I could get estimates from. We are looking to put $10-12K down and finance the balance. Does anyone know when Mazda runs their sales for 2007 models - is it in the summer?

Please respond soon as we are looking to purchase this vehicle in the next week or so.
  • maribelnmaribeln Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    This is the first time I ever post a message. I'd appreciate input on an offer I'm getting from a dealer (I'm in Chicago).
    This is an online offer so I'm not sure if I can haggle to bring down the price or if I can even expect to get a lower price...

Thanks!

Silver Mazda3-S sedan with auto, ABS/SAB/SAC pkg.

$17,254.00 Car (includes destination charge)
    $58 doc fee
    $1558.08 tax
    $143 plates
    $19,013.08 out the door includes Chicago tax and all dealer fees
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We passed on the mazda leather when we bought our 3s back in 2005. Looked and felt cheap to us and not as smooth as other leather we have seen and felt in other cars. In the case of mazda, I'd definitely go with aftermarket leather. Think you'd find it of better quality ans smoother. Check with the dealer as to who they farm their leather out to and go see them and compare. Definitely worth it.

The Sandman :)
  • schallaschalla Member Posts: 2
    Looks like you are getting a very good deal. I live in Chicago NW suburbs and looking for the same car & options except that I want it in Galaxy Gray Mica.

Can you tell me which dealer you got this offer from? Maybe we can buy together and get a better price. Let me know.