Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ravenfan50ravenfan50 Member Posts: 14
    I was also looking to visit Ourisman Mazda for my new Mazda 3. Can you tell me what options you got? What was the sticker price? Also, were any of your "10" offers from any dealers in the Baltimore area? Thanks and good luck with your new car.
  • samduhmansamduhman Member Posts: 9
    I went with the standard options. They put wheel locks on all cars so that's an added $50. The window msrp was $18180.

I requested offers from Va (northern Va, Richmond, Fredericksburg) , College Park, Owings Mills and Frederick MD. I solicited enough dealerships IMHO to feel I got a good deal for this area. I found Fitzmall to be a good starting point. No dealer could beat them (without a hassle) until Ourisman underbid them significantly.

If you decide to go to Ourisman make sure you deal with Ben Stark and mention my name (if you feel like it ;) ) I get something for sending them business...forget what it was now.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Does anyone know when will the the Mazda 3 be totally redesigned? I am interested in possibly purchasing it but do not want an older body style if a new one will be out in a couple years or so. thanks!!
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    The rumour is sometime next year. Mazda does not seem to roll out multiple new cars in the same year. This year they redesigned the Mazda6. Next year could be the Mazda3 as the first generation will have celebrated its 6th year (first model was a 2004). Going 7 years with the same generation can risk making the design look old. The new generation could be rolled out towards the latter half of the year (eg September / October 2009) to clear out the first generation of Mazda3. A great way to get a bargain! One sure fire signal of upcoming changes are the international auto shows, so you may want to keep your eye out for those in the fall.

p.s. salesman are wary of talking about these types of changes for the very reason that you noted: do not want an older body style if a new one will be out in a couple years
    Supposedly with the 2009 model. I don't know if it'll be a total redesign. There are pictures online of one in testing (allegedly). It appears to be longer. Other than that I didn't see a huge difference. Your probably better off taking advantage of the current and upcoming deals to clear out the 2008s.

Here are the photos I saw.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=122903#6
  • 2term8r2term8r Member Posts: 1
    2008 Hatch Touring w/ sunroof out the door for $19,000 here in MA (Got it for 17,955 and MSRP 20,200). But thats not all, the dealership is throwing in a 3 day/2night, air-fair, at the NewYork NewYork Hotel in Vegas. Beat that one! Bwahhahahahahaha

(if you don't believe me here is the sight, I thought it was a BS and so didn't my sales person when they first offered it, but I've scanned over every single fine print and its perfectly legit)

http://www.gallomazda.com

Ideally I'd like to get more off the price rather than a mini-vacation, but beggars can't be choosers! Take that for an incentive.
  • x5savx5sav Member Posts: 46
    wow, congratulation. is this the 2008 or 2008.5 version?
    Considering I didn't want a hatch or a trip to vegas I don't think you did that well. :P Just kidding. I did want a sunroof ;) but Im not complaining considering I got my 2008.5 sedan for $17200 OTD.

Congrats! :shades:
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    According to this article the big difference is the increase in power due to the larger 2.5 engine: the optional 2.3-liter inline four-cylinder will be upgraded to 2.5 liters. The increased displacement should provide a 20-30-hp boost. An extra 20 to 30 hp means that the hatchback could be close to 180 to 190 hp which should help it compete with the Civic Si.
  • sydneym5sydneym5 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for the OTD price for a Mazda3 sedan i sport auto in the Houston area. Can anyone give me the recent price they paid for and names of a good dealership. Thanks.
  • daleb2daleb2 Member Posts: 8
    I was able to get a Black Mica 2008.5 Mazda3 i touring value for 16800, for my son here in upstate NY. The MSRP was 18145 no extra options, Invoice was 17120(approx). $320 under invoice plus tax tags etc.
    It was kind of funny the salesman brought out the invoice noting that "This is what we pay for the car (BS)" I asked him if he's ever heard of Edmund's community Prices Paid Buying Experience, I then pulled out a printout of different posts from here and it was all but over. This forum saved me $320
    I was thinking of using the S-plan (shippers plan??) but all that is, is invoice price. We also got the 3 year 1.9% financing. I didn't think it was a bad deal. My son loves the car (He was the actual buyer). Now he has to learn to keep his black car clean.
  • soccermom18soccermom18 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at a 2008 Mazda 3 i touring ...OTD 16,945... should I keep on looking or is this good?
  • mazdabuyer08mazdabuyer08 Member Posts: 17
    I am also looking for this exact car if this is an automatic is it? Would you mind giving me some additional price information? You paid $16,800 plus tax. What other costs were there? Was there an additional destination charge and any other costs?

Where in upstate NY did you purchase, I am on Long Island and would not mind a little travel to save a bunch of $$$$$$!
    i also went to Ourisman Mazda. Ben gave me a price of $17,700 or so out the door. I felt good going there until they really screwed me in my trade in. It is an 04 Sequoia with leather/sunroof/ and a couple other things with 51k miles. they offered me 12k for it. As soon as I heard that I literally grabbed my keys and walked out the door. He said he was going to email me back but 2 days later, he hasn't. I went to a local Toyota dealer (I was looking at a Matrix)and they offered me 17k for it. Guess til then, I'll see if he emails me back.
    Sorry to hear that it went sour with the trade in. Trade ins with a dealer is usually a nasty business. Your much better off selling it on your own if you can. Put it on craigslist. So was Ben pretty straight forward with you as he was with me? Im assuming he had zero input on value of your trade-in. Someone higher up probably made that decision.
  • bmilibmili Member Posts: 3
    If you live in Dallas, check out Freeman Mazda. Apparently it is slow there and just bought a 2008 Mazda 3 Value Touring Automatic (silver). MSRP $18,130 and Invoice $17,200+/-...got it after no dealer holdback, etc at $16,239 + TTL. New car financing at 4.9% and 1k down. After paying off loan I still come in under MSRP. See Clay there.
  • scryer_360scryer_360 Member Posts: 9
    Looking to get a new Mazda3, but this 3.9% is just a little high. Anyone know when or if a sales event will come up? I know Mazda usually does something for Memorial Day here in the States.
    Mazda3 5-door s model, thats the base model with no options no extras. Manual. Copper Red.

I have X-Plan pricing, which puts me right at invoice. $17853. Also there is a $500 rebate for x-plan purchases now putting me at $17353. I won't accept any charges from the dealer for OTD costs (not supposed to get those under X-plan anyway) and of couse with taxes and title I'll be into the mid $18,000s.

What do you think? Could I get better? :confuse:

Note: its at Northtowne Mazda in Kansas City.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    When we purchased one last month the quotes were in the low 17000's immediately without any plans or such. This was for the 08 automatic s 5 door msrp 19500. We eventually purchased at 16745 with some bid competition last few days of the month. Your price target on the 08 manual should probably be 16300 or lower. I guess it would depend on supplies in your area but this is about what the car has sold for towards summer for the last few years.

Good luck
    --jjf
    Area supplies are fine, Northtowne told me legends about their storage lot where they have several hundred of the cars ready to go whenever they sell one.

What do I need to do to get it down to that price? (16300)? Mention the Carspace community? Beg? Tips or tricks people? I already know whats in the Edmunds.com buyers guides...
    Note that I have no trade...
    Alright, I got Northtowne Mazda down to $16745. The person I talked to said, "Mazda gives us a commission for the sale of an S-plan vehicle, and I'm willing to give you that" and eat the $189.50 in "administration" fees.

After all the crap I gave him on the phone, I'm pretty sure I can't get more out of him. That price + finance charge + taxes = my OTD price. What else should I do?
    Read my message 4681 on the Hyundai Sonata prices paid forum. Also look at my recent messages on the Chevy silverado and dodge ram 1500 prices paid forum. Solicit their best price bids from 8-15+_ dealers now or last week of the month with your color preferences (mazda web site). Quickly narrow down to the 2-3 most eager and give your cell #. See what happens as the 30th approaches. Your target on a 18600 or so 5 door manual is 15500 to 16300 or so. Finalize by phone with sales or fleet mgr (not internet mgr)

Working with one dealer is like an auction with one bidder. It is like one hand clapping. Leave the S plan or whatever they have for whatever companies in your area out of it. It is usually a marketing gimmick. You can always mention it later. Do 95 % of your work by computer and phone lying on the couch. I've read many messages of folks, some buying a 40000 otd luxury brand and beating their head against the wall with some mgr for hours to produce a coffee mug and a free oil change...must be great entertainment for break room chats.

Its worth doing regardless if you need a car right now or not because the price they are giving is hardly anything to worry about losing.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • auyeung001auyeung001 Member Posts: 9
    Brought the exact same car, with wheel locks/ rear bumper guard/ all weather mat 2 days ago in NY, Long Island area.
    16.8K plus tax/TL/Reg.
    Definitely can get below 17K easily. Likely can get a lot lower if I have time.
    However, I need a car for work since my previous one is totaled and renting is getting very expensive for me.
    Pick a price ( if I have do it again, 16.3K to 16.5K, base on the post in this forum) and email the dealers around your area. Ask them to match or beat this price.
    Have couple dealers bid each other.
    From past experience, there is advantage to wait until the end of the month when there is quota to be met by the dealership.
  • dizbmikunidizbmikuni Member Posts: 5
    I've been looking at the 2008 iTouring Value, and I was quoted $16130 before taxes and fees and $17,697 OTD. I checked the fees and it seems ill pretty much only be charged for sales tax and other dmv fees (from the dmv website it says that fees should be $1500, which is only 67 bucks more at the dealer).

The car has no added options. What do you guys think of this price? He said it was only good today, but I know that's not true.
    Check out my previous message 3452. Worth trying towards end of month if in no hurry. Don't know how low the bids will go until one trys.

Seems like an average deal, now though, unless it is a manual then it is 1000 too high. A rare color/interior combination could be a factor purchasing quick.

Good luck
    --jjf
    Yeah, the car is an automatic transmission, no real preference on color/interior. Probably going to go with dark blue or dark gray.

Yeah, I just started to try a bidding contest. However, already one dealer said that I got an 'amazing' deal from that place and he couldn't match the price. All the other dealers quoted me like $17,100 before taxes and fees. I'm in no real rush, wondering if there are going to be any memorial day sales however.
  • hedgeshothedgeshot Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a used 2006 Mazda3 i with 31,800 miles from a Honda dealership. It was a 5spd manual and I think the only additional feature was having AC. Carfacts report came back clean. The interior and exterior were in excellent condition (looked like new). I've had it a few weeks now and there are no shakes or rattles. The out the door price I got on it was $12,500 (technically $12,800 as I traded in a 1993 Civic DX in rough shape for $300; think rust + front fender damage + 144k miles).

The sales associate was pretty agreeable and even called me a few days after my purchase to make sure everything was okay with the vehicle. I feel like I got a really good deal. According to the salesman who sold me the car, the previous owner was a middle-aged female university professor that got tired of driving a manual in traffic. Assuming what he said was true, did I get a good deal?

The only negative I can say so far is the $100 I had to spend getting a spare key made as the previous owner lost the extra(s).
    Don;t know if you spent 100 or 1000 on sales taxes in your state. If you go to kbb.com and nada.com and look up a used 2006 like yours with 31000 miles you can get the wholesale (trade in) price. If you got within a thousand or so over that you got a good deal. I presume the rest of the factory warranty transferred or you looked up the info on that if any fee is involved.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • hedgeshothedgeshot Member Posts: 2
    Yes, warranty transferred. Tax was ~$700 and $168 to transfer plates. Looking at kbb and nada, the trade in value is $10,000 - 10,750. Perhaps I did not as good of a deal as I thought.
    Actually thats pretty good, considering how you did it. Buy first. kbb after. Lucky.
    They may have been a bit generous on your trade too.

Mazda3 is a nice ride
    --jjf
  • forbin404forbin404 Member Posts: 11
    16130? Incredible Price! Make sure there are no 'hidden' costs but you can't beat going $900 under invoice (if he included Destination). I got that price from a local dealer but then he tried to pull the 'All cars have Lojack installed' you will have to WAIT for a car to arrive without it' BS. And of course Lojack cost over $2000
  • mazdabuyer08mazdabuyer08 Member Posts: 17
    I wish I could get this deal. What area of the country are you in?
    I was just looking here on the pricing of a 3. I noticed that there was a section that said "future vehicles" and there were a couple of pics there. It said that it would be out in november of 09. Can anyone here give me more insight on this. Is this going to be an 09 model but coming out in 08? Or is it coming out in 09 as an 2010 model? I really close to buying but do not want to buy an older modle if a new model is coming around the corner.
  • mixwellmixwell Member Posts: 14
    Looking to buy a 2008 Mazda 3S hatch auto (with no other options) in next couple of weeks. I've been talking with dealers in NJ/NY and getting quoted about $19500 OTD (including all tax, license, fees, etc). I feel like it should be closer to $18000 - $18500. any thoughts!?!?
    16130 is a great price. It is under invoice and is with the dealer giving up the holdback, sales commission, etc. I doubt they go much lower especially since the 3 is their best selling vehicle. (i posted on here last week, got a 2008 Value Touring at 16,236 auto).
    I'm in the los angeles area of california. I've had replies from two dealers saying that they would 'beat' that price, but I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I still have to unload my old car first however.
    I love it so far, unloaded my Jeep Grand Cherokee to get it. Still trying to figure out how many miles I get per tank.
    Check my message 3452. The lowest bid last 3 days of the month or so is he lowest.You either accept the lowest bid or near lowest bid, wait till last week or so of next month or buy something else. I'm assuming about 1800 in tax (they vary greatly by state) putting you at 17700. The 19500 msrp hatch auto usually sells between the mid 16,s and low 17's depending on time of year,circumstance.(luck) and pickiness on colors/options.

good luck
    --jjf
  • oldballcoacholdballcoach Member Posts: 1
    Am I missing something? The new 2008 Mazda3 (2.3L) Manual Tranny sedan "Old" Touring Edition that I looked at today had a MSRP of $18,198 on the sticker ($17,435 base price + $78 Mats + $50 Wheel Locks + $635 destination). The dealership here in central Maryland offered to sell it for a MRSP of $16,227 (includes the $635 destination) + $100 Dealer processing fee + $237 for tags and title.

My out the door price, based on MD 6% tax would be $17,558.

I have done a lot of reading on this forum. This seems like a great price for a Mazda3 S-edition with Manual Transmission. Am I missing anything?
    The new i touring value pkg with auto (2.0liter ) msrp is around 18.100 and 17100 for manual. I believe the only thing you give up is the 2.3 liter but I would check on edmunds and compare. People seem to be getting the automatic around 16300.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • msz006msz006 Member Posts: 1
    I received the price of mazda3i sport 4dr sedan model just like the below
    1.automatic
    2.ABS/SAB/SAC Package
    3. Air conditioning

car price : 14,247$
    total : 15600 (includes tax and everything)
    is it a good deal?
  • usfcrim76usfcrim76 Member Posts: 4
    So my dad suggested I take a look at the 3 after having a Civic the last 10 years. He had a B-series truck when I was a kid and he loved it. Went to my local dealer and took a test drive...LOVE the 3. Just did an inventory search at a local dealer and they have 39 I-touring value and 20 I Sport. Wonder if I can get them in a bidding war with the other local dealer. I'm gonna try.. :D
    If tax in your state is $1200 or more pretty good. If tax is $100 not so good.

--jjf
  • mixwellmixwell Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the response! I did actually read that post and took that advice. I emailed every dealer w/in a 40 mile radius. If you say I should expect about $16500 (low end) for sale price, then I figure after 7% tax and any other fees they insist on . . . I should expect to pay about $18500. Why do you think I should wait until the end of next month?

-m
    Read my message 4681 in the hyundai sonata prices paid forum as well as my posts in the chevy silverado and dodge ram 1500 prices paid forum. Actually I would think this month would be quite good. Expanding the radius to get at least 20+ dealers times will produce 2-4 or more who really need to make a sale especially the last 3-4 days. I suggested next month in case prices aren't acceptable. This would depend on your position now. If you are renting a car for 800/mo, clearly that would affect things. 16500 would be a very good price for the automatic. With the high 16's low 17's the most probable (with all dealer fees plus tax and title separate). Also aggressively research finance options as you can get 500 or more lower on the price and give 1500 back in financing easy over 3-5years.

Good luck
    --jjf

Thanks for the response! I did actually read that post and took that advice. I emailed every dealer w/in a 40 mile radius. If you say I should expect about $16500 (low end) for sale price, then I figure after 7% tax and any other fees they insist on . . . I should expect to pay about $18500. Why do you think I should wait until the end of next month?

-m
  • cmwiencmwien Member Posts: 5
    I'd REALLy appreciate some input.

I want a 5-Door Grand Touring (automatic) w/Sunroof, 6cd & Sirius (No Nav).

Right now, I've got three dealers bidding against each other. The best number I've gotten so far is $20,500 before TTL (price INCLUDES destination fee). When I build one on mazda.com, the MSRP (including destination) is $23,600. It won't tell me the invoice with those specs.

I'm paying cash. Is this a good deal? How low can I get these guys to go? Please help. I'm supposed to go in tomorrow for another test drive.
  • x5savx5sav Member Posts: 46
    KBB have this car's invoice price at $20869.00. So, you are getting the car at $369 below invoice. This is not a good price at all, especially you are paying cash.

I am in CA and 7 weeks ago, I bought a 2008 Touring at $1100 below invoice. I am sure you can do better than that.

One more thing, is your GT 2008 or 2008.5? (2008.5 had the MP3 Stereo as a std. feature.)

Good luck.
  • cmwiencmwien Member Posts: 5
    I didn't realize you could add options on KBB.com. I think you're mixed up with the invoice price. Including the moonroof/6cd package and Sirus, the invoice on a 5-door Grand Touring is 22,017. The offer on the table is 20,450. Am I crazy or is that price $1500 below invoice? Can I go lower?
    No. You can't go any lower or they release the guard dogs.
    How do we know? Tell dealer one that your wife really prefers the color at dealer two, and likes the nissan screwball 3000 hatchback also but can he meet or beat dealer two's offer of 19,945? (20,450 -2%). Let dealer 3 know too. See what happens as end of the month (this time of year sometimes june 2 or so) nears. Try another 2% off if a dealer hits that bid. If things stall try $200 lower. Be talking with store or fleet managers and not the flaky salesmen or internet managers at this stage. Solicit bids from about 20 dealers (if you haven't already) within a radius of your home and work the 3-4 or so who may want to play.

A ballpark target on most production autos is the wholesale (trade in)value of a year old model (07 in this case) used that you are looking at + about 20% (kbb.com, nada.com) If you get below that more power too you.

--jjf

I didn't realize you could add options on KBB.com. I think you're mixed up with the invoice price. Including the moonroof/6cd package and Sirus, the invoice on a 5-door Grand Touring is 22,017. The offer on the table is 20,450. Am I crazy or is that price $1500 below invoice? Can I go lower?