Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    x5savx5sav Member Posts: 46
    Oh, did you also have the BOSE package?
  • Options
    cmwiencmwien Member Posts: 5
    Awesome. I may just have to take a look at the Screwball3000 Hatch. :) The price I've got right now is $500 more than the wholesale value of last year's model + 20%. I guess that means I'm in the right ballpark, but have some wiggle room to drop it.

Thanks for the responses. Very helpful. I'll post the price I end up paying.
  • Options
    brtedbrted Member Posts: 7
    I just bought mine tonight after keeping my Civic for 10 years. The salesman said build the car I want and he would take $2,000 off MSRP. I got the i Touring Value with manual transmission and moonroof/6cd package. MSRP was $18,135 including $650 shipping, so he sold it for $16,135 plus $399 dealer fee (plus taxes; the only wrinkle was that there is a $500 rebate included in the price above so I had to pay sales tax of 7% on that $500 only to get the $500 back at the end). $16,534 paid vs. invoice of $16,954. Also got 1.9% financing for 36 months.
  • Options
    ckduboisckdubois Member Posts: 1
    bmili, quick question for you...

I'm in DFW, got a quick price quote offer for 16438 for "any mazda3 on the lot" from freeman, and noticed you bought your iTV from there. Who'd you talk to there to get such a good deal? (EDIT: I just saw, you talked to Clay, helps if I read the whole post!) And I notice on the mazdausa website that they're offering 3.9% for 60 months on the 3's, was the extra 1% you paid necessary to make the deal?
  • Options
    joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    Dealer builds Mazda 3 H/b 5spd MSRP $22605.00, I can't build this car or find invoice. It has leather ,Heated seats,homelink,moonroof ,compass all the bells@ whistles.
    Heres the deal otd.Sell for $21,700 Sales tax $1099.95
    Doc Fees $299.00
    Maine Title @ arb fee$24.00
    Total $23,123.95 Delivered
    The dealer is a friend of many years, so he tells me this deal is 4% over invoice. I sold my Type S in one day,what a mistake.
    Well I offered him $22100.00 and I still think thats too much. What is the invoice?Do just go to Edmunds TMV for the Mazda h/b guess for example leather is $1500.00 moon roof $700.00 and so on? :sick:
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Look up the wholesale trade in value of an used 07 model like the 08 version you are looking at with avg miles. Add about 20% to the trade in value for a preferable max target on the new 08. This comes to about 18000 on the 19500 s hb auto model with quotes frequently coming in about 1000 under that.

On the surface your deal doesn't seem that compelling.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • Options
    Thanks alot. I faxed a copy of the price I got to a dealer in NH. They stated the price given me was ridiculous.They have same car on lot for alot less, and don't know how I got a quote so high.
    Also, the people that gave me the quote refused my counter offer of $ 22,100.00 saying it was $600.00 under invoice.
    That they wouldn't loose a sale over $100.00 dollars and thats available to them,but $22,100.00 isn't a goal that they can reach.
    Again I thank you.
  • Options
    In numerous dealerships over the years the rule is (example)

Internet quotes $21000 (assume at least 2 or 3 competitive counter quotes)
    moron walk-ins $22000
    friends of dealer $23000+
    relatives of dealer $24000+

Be glad you weren't related

Good Luck
    --jjf

The dealer is a friend of many years, so he tells me this deal is 4% over invoice. I sold my Type S in one day,what a mistake.
  • Options
    NH dealer Seacoast Mazda is $1,142 lower than my dealer friend. So do you think Im getting there?NH fee for doc is $189 compared to $299 in Maine Title is $23 compared to Maine's $24. The Maine dealers price was sales price $21,700 and NH sales price $20649.00 . Should I try to go lower my wife says yes.
  • Options
    Check out my message 3475 on this forum and those following. If you're considerably under the wholesale cost of a used 07 (kbb.com) +20%, that may be the limit on a new 08, however you don't know without competing bids. Also if you're financing check out multiple options there, as you can easily leave 1500+ on the table financing over multiple years, depending on terms.

Good luck
    --jjf

NH dealer Seacoast Mazda is $1,142 lower than my dealer friend. So do you think Im getting there?NH fee for doc is $189 compared to $299 in Maine Title is $23 compared to Maine's $24. The Maine dealers price was sales price $21,700 and NH sales price $20649.00 . Should I try to go lower my wife says yes.
  • Options
    homeagain3homeagain3 Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

I was wondering if you would tell me which dealer you purchased from in Richmond? Whitten or Pearson?

I am also looking for a grand touring s with bose along with a few other options and hope to use your price as a negotiating tool!
  • Options
    Some how your message got sent to me. I'm sorry,but Mazda purchasing is a headache, but they need the money as cars are not moving.
  • Options
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have requested a price quote from about a dozen dealers in a 2 hour radius and all of the offers are above invoice. We have s plan which I haven't mentioned to any of the dealers because I was hoping to do better than invoice. Maybe as the end of the month approaches they will start to drop. I can always wait until next month, end of quarter, end of first half of fiscal year and try again!
  • Options
    lauradavidlauradavid Member Posts: 9
    I just got off the phone with a dealer.

Auto S. Grand touring
    Fully loaded
    19344 + 489 doc fee and 7% sales tax

He says it has the sound package and moon roof. The only option it doesn't have is Navigation. What do you think?

Thanks
    Laura
  • Options
    rbbrockrbbrock Member Posts: 2
    Well, after soliciting quotes from all the dealers near me, and at the nearest larger cities (I'm in a fairly rural part of the country - NW Iowa), here's the best I've gotten so far (tax, title and license not included, will be taken care of in my home county) for a manual 3s Touring with sunroof/6CD package:

Minneapolis (Luther - claims to be no-haggle dealership, haven't tried to push them yet):
    $18,065 + $50 doc fee

Kansas City (Blue Ridge)
    $17,658 + $200 doc fee

Considering that I can travel to Minneapolis with my dad, who goes there every week for business, but would have to drive to KC to get the car there, the prices are pretty much a wash. Can I expect to get much better than this?

Additionally, Luther will sell me a 3i Touring Value (manual, roof/CD) for $16,120 +$50 doc fee. Is it worth an extra $2,000 for the s Touring? The engines are rated pretty darn close, and after driving them both it's pretty much impossible to tell the difference from the driver's seat in normal driving.

Does anyone have any experience with Luther in Minneapolis? Do they stick to their no-haggle policy, or is there actually some room in their numbers?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
  • Options
    cmwiencmwien Member Posts: 5
    After much shopping around:

Gaithersburg Mazda
    Gaithersburg, MD 20879
    MSRP: $ 22,815
    Lowest Bid: $19,650 + TTL

After a week of negotiating, I backed out at the last minute and did not buy. I love the car, but after long consideration, I decided it's just too small for me. I literally had the paperwork in front of me when I backed out. I feel bad about teasing the dealer, but I feel good about the decision. There seem to be some great deals out there right now. This was a fantastic price.
  • Options
    Is the s touring the sedan msrp 19700? No haggle dealers aren't really that great of deals as given. They will all deal if they need to make a sale.

The s and i differ by alloys, abs,side airbags and 2.3 liter engine? Plus whatever else only you can decide if its worth it.

The i touring value edition has a msrp of 18000 as you describe. Has most of the features of the S with the 2.0 engine. There are tons of them around here. The lots should be full of them where you are too. I've got quotes in the 16000 range on these. They are techinically 2008.5 models I think. Seems like a good deal with the mid 15000's or less being a possibility.

If the other quotes are on a 19700 car or so, they are nothing to write home about or jump on. You need to email at least 10 dealers to hit one or two who are behind on numbers end of month.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • Options
    No sense buying a car you don't want. You will be miselable.
    Sit down and right out your needs and wants . Try out alot of cars.
    Im having the most difficult time to find another car that has a fun ride.
    I've tried VW GLI ,Gti Iand Audi,BMW,and when I find what I want I'll know it.

I want low end torgue,stong clutch ((mazda) doesn't have.ABS, fogs,sunroof,6 spd.moon roof door edge guards thron in and front to reag mud guards. I have a feeling I'm over 10K than a Mazda.
    Never feel :D sorry for a dealer. :D
  • Options
    sammssamms Member Posts: 1
    what is the best price for the mazda 3 i touring, i have been seeing prices from 16,000 21,000 otd im buying this for my daughter to go off to college in. thanks
  • Options
    mizzoumazdamizzoumazda Member Posts: 17
    This month I bought a 2008 Mazda3 Touring (not 08.5) from a Chicago-area dealer. For financing, they offered me the bank rate, not the 1.9% I have since read about. My credit is very good, and I put down a hefty down payment. Should I have been eligible? The web site seems to say so, but I know there is always fine print.
  • Options
    Base I touring No more than invoice, maybe a $200 below . Right now before or on the last day in May. I know for a fact you can get invoice they are trying to unload them. Don't let them say 4 cyl are hard to get let their fingers do the walking. The car you want is in stock. :shades:
  • Options
    rbbrockrbbrock Member Posts: 2
    Wondering if anyone knows what the MS3s are doing lately - it looks like the last post about it here is getting a little old. There's one that's MSRP $22,975 (early 2008 production, sport trim, no options) that they're saying they'll sell for $20,475.
  • Options
    Did you get a really good price on your vehicle? how much under invoice?
  • Options
    I went with their quote of 15,900, and then after their trade offer, which I thought was decent, got them to take off $200. This was the basic '08 3i, with ABS and side curtains. What do you think?
  • Options
    toddr4funtoddr4fun Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an 08 Mazda3 iTouring Value Edition at Wayne Mazda (only option on the vehicle was wheel locks) for the following.

Wayne's fees are high-- but their offer literally knocked the competition out of the park. The process was very straight forward, responsive and honest. I should have challenged some of the extras -- but I still think I did well.

base: $14733
    Destination: $635

notable extras:
    -Security Etch: $199 (after getting the great base price--I didn't want to deal with arguing this one away--it's a default optional line item at Wayne)
    -doc fee: $299
    -Reg Fee - $200

Out the door price: $17265 and 1.9% financing.
  • Options
    Hi Laura,

I am also looking for an 2008.5 S grand touring. I have received four quotes so far and the lowest has been $2000 above your 19344, for bose/moonroof. Seems like a great deal.

Would you mind telling me which state you are in?

Thanks
    Bren
  • Options
    I assume your car is also an automatic. According to KBB, invoice is $15701. So, you are $200 above invoice. You should definitely eligible for the 1.9%. What is the bank rate that the dealership offers you? What state are you in?
  • Options
    dru2dru2 Member Posts: 1
    Recently bought from Congressional Motors in Maryland a 2008 Mazda 3 i touring manual, ABS/side curtain, moonroof, 6 CD changer, alloy wheels.
    Price: $15,500
    Destination Fee: $635
    OTD: $17,300
    I think I got a pretty fair deal. The purchasing process at Congressional Motors was relatively straight forward and without any high-pressure sales tactics. Wasn't in the market for a new car, but after looking around and seeing similar two/three year old Mazda 3s averaging about a thousand less than this price, it made more sense to buy the new '08. By the way, got 33.5 MPG on the first tank of gas driving 1/2 city 1/2 highway. I hope this post helps those of you in the market for a new Mazda 3.
  • Options
    Yes, automatic 2008 Touring with ABS and airbags. They offered me 6.9% I am in Illinois. Quote included destination charge. Thank you for the reply.
  • Options
    wow you should refin. you loan asap. 6.9 is too high. With excellent credit, you should be able to get 4.25 from Penfed.
  • Options
    mazdabuyer08mazdabuyer08 Member Posts: 17
    I have been contacting various dealers through the internet in the Long Island, NY area. I am looking for a 2008.5 Mazda 3i touring value edition. My options are automatic, moon roof package and cloth seats. Most dealers are in the $18,000 range plus taxes and license fees.

One dealer offered me a price of $17,300 plus taxes and license fees through Costco. Has anyone used Costco's site to lead you to a dealer?

Is the $17,300 price to good to be true. When I approached others with this number they would not go near it. One said this dealer was leading me on by giving me a $750 discount for a plain 2008 3i not the touring value edition.

Edmunds lists the MSRP for $19,035 and invoice $17,794.

What do you think?
  • Options
    Well, it goes back to the same question. Are you going to get Mazda promotional financing or this is a cash deal. Some dealers will try to get you in and say this price is so low, that no promotional financing can be use. E-mail back to the dealer and ask him with this price, is it also available for Mazda financing.

Just make sure when you go buy your car. The car in fact is a 2008.5 not 2008. 2008.5 had MP3 built into the stereo unit (You will see "mp3" text right next to the eject button.)

Good Luck.
  • Options
    That car wholesales for about 14000 in its used 07 version (or close to it). Get bids from 10-20 dealers via email end of this month or next (last week of month) withhin a convenient radius of your home. Resend some that don't reply as some of the internet people are dopes. Work with the top 2-3 dealers. My bids have ran from 15500 (one dealer) to the low 16's (3 dealers ) all week. (without the moonroof) On the 18100 msrp auto i touring value. On the other hand, if you need a car now 17000 on the 19000 msrp model probably would be about average. Get good financing lined up as you can lose a lot of money there.

Quotes from car buying services generally range from nothing to write home about to lousy.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • Options
    The $17,300 deal feel through when I asked for it in writing. They misquoted for a 2008 not the 2008.5. So my best deals are for $18,000. Is that a fair price? I have contacted around 12 different dealers. The edmunds site lists $18101 as the typical price.

THX everyone!
  • Options
    S. Cal is selling the 2008.5 model for $400 below invoice. Dealership is Puente Hills Mazda. You can use this number as a starting point.
  • Options
    I purchased the car today. 2008.5 i touring value edition in silver with automatic, moonroof package, wheel locks, heavy mats and cloth seats. Paid $17,600 + 1518 taxes +217.50 inspection/tire recycling/registration/plate fees = $19335.50. I put $3000 down took the 3.9 % 5 year loan for $16335.50 for $300/month payment.

MSRP was $19163, the invoice price was $17896.
  • Options
    frizellfrizell Member Posts: 6
    I have been looking for a Mazda 3 s hatch in VA. I just couldn't get the dealership to sell the car around high 16 or low 17. There isn't much price posting for the hatch, could someone share some price info and experience.

• Options
    idol767idol767 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a Mazda 3s Hatch (2008.5 Touring, Auto) earlier this month in Wichita Ks. In this area, the Mazda 3 is pretty popular, so we aren't getting the $500 to $1000 below invoice prices that others are getting. My car had a sticker price of $20,125 (it has no options above the Touring package). I ended up getting it for $19,100, which was $100 over invoice, plus $199 Fee, plus sales taxes. I could have got it for $100 less if I wanted to drive to Oklahoma City to pick it up from a dealer there, but it wasn't worth it. I think I could have done a little better if had waited until the end of the month, but i got the exact car I wanted. I think I got a decent deal.
  • Options
    scryer_360scryer_360 Member Posts: 9
    Paid $16,754. That is out the door except for taxes and title. Northtowne Mazda. Bought 6/20/08
  • Options
    the_art_guythe_art_guy Member Posts: 61
    Just picked up a Stormy Blue 2008.5 Grand Touring 5-door hatchback for $22,188 out the door. I was able to get them down to $21,000 for the car, which is actually under invoice. The car has the sunroof/Bose audio package, rear bumper guard, wheel locks and cargo net. I think I got a great deal. I bought from Malloy Mazda in Woodbridge, VA.
  • Options
    mixwellmixwell Member Posts: 14
    Just purchased a 2008.5 hatchback S Touring edition in NJ on 6/2/08. Galaxy Gray, Auto with no other options. I spent some significant time emailing the internet sales reps and after getting my top 3 quotes took a trip to the dealers. The first one let me walk out after asking $20,000 OTD (including all taxes, fees, and license). The second almost let me go, but then counter-offered (with reluctance) $20,200 and I caved. I also got the 1.9% financing (fortunately only had to finance about $5K after some money down and my trade-in). I might have been able to get a few hundred more off if I wasn't so impatient and tried to let another dealer match/beat that price. WHATEVER . . . I'm happy! ZOOM-ZOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    That could be an below average deal (taxes and title 150) or really great deal (taxes and tag 2200) depending on what state you are in. The 1.9% makes it even better but you lose the benefit if you put money down. Don't put money down with subsidized significantly below mkt (5%) rates, thats part of the incentive. The more borrowed the better expecially with many bank accounts paying 2-4%.

--jjf

Just purchased a 2008.5 hatchback S Touring edition in NJ on 6/2/08. Galaxy Gray, Auto with no other options. I spent some significant time emailing the internet sales reps and after getting my top 3 quotes took a trip to the dealers. The first one let me walk out after asking $20,000 OTD (including all taxes, fees, and license). The second almost let me go, but then counter-offered (with reluctance) $20,200 and I caved. I also got the 1.9% financing (fortunately only had to finance about $5K after some money down and my trade-in). I might have been able to get a few hundred more off if I wasn't so impatient and tried to let another dealer match/beat that price. WHATEVER . . . I'm happy! ZOOM-ZOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    misshmissh Member Posts: 4
    Dear Art Guy,

I am interested in purchasing the exact car you did. Did you make the deal before end of May or after June 1? The reason I'm asking is that it's my understanding you can get a better deal at the end of the month.

I've just started sending out e-mails to several Mazda dealers in northern Virginia ...Malloy being one of them. I'm trying to hold out buying until end of summer...hoping to get sales price down to $19,000 for the exact car you purchased. What salesman did you work with at Malloy?
  • Options
    sharkie21sharkie21 Member Posts: 14
    How much should I pay if I want the following model (all inclusive - tax/title/license/etc).

New 2008 mazda 3 s sport - Automatic
    -black exterior
    -black / grey (two tone) interior
    -Rear Spoiler
    -moonroof / cd changer package
    -compass auto dim with homelink
    -Atlanta region
    -tax is 7%
    -assume title/license is 300

If you can provide a breakout of how you get to the final value that would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Options
    breezekeeper5breezekeeper5 Member Posts: 1
    Right,
    So recently I purchased a 2008.5 Mazda 3i Touring Value Edition for $17,200 out the door (tax, title, and Fees include in the above price) with a 3.9% interest rate for 5 years from Five Star Dodge Chrysler Jeep Hyundai Mazda Inc in Macon, Ga.
    Seriously they have the best deal I have found anywhere. They won't kill you with over charge fees like most dealerships.
  • Options
    sharkie21sharkie21 Member Posts: 14
    Hey I'm also in GA. I want to buy a Mazda 3 s sport or Mazda 3 s GT. When you guys negotiate does the car that you want, does it already exist on the lot? I figure if I'm going to spend around 20k I want to get the car that I want, with the color/options that I want.

How much do you think I should pay OTD for a Mazda 3 s GT - Automatic (black or white exterior) with the sunroof / audio package, compass with homelink, and a spoiler. If it has additional options I don't mind. Taxes for my county are 7%. Title and license is $300.

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    Laura David deal is what they go for at Prime Mazda in Saco,Maine. They will show you the invoice. I don't know how you are 2k above i :surprise: t.
  • Options
    Get your invoice price add options plus sales tax and those fees. Your talking around $18,900
  • Options
    she saved on rear lip spoiler her cost dealer in stalled $260.00 also taxes here are %5.So 670.moonroof W/6cd your spoiler 300.$220. homelink$17530.00 nvoice plus options $1190 = $18650 x tax .07 =$ 1305.50add your 300 fee=$19950 otd.
    My wife is sharp @ told him there is a 50% mark up on options and walked otd $19200. Tax fees @all.you cannot be taxed on transpotation fee so watch it
    She has your car,but its fuel economy sucks..What's wrong with Mazda 3 new I touring has all your bells@whisles,only a 2.0 engine.She wouldnt listen,now she wishes she had. :shades: Also if dealer puts your extras like spoiler,and homelink on it's not on Msrp and you don't pay states tax on those.
  • Options
    Dear Breezekeeper5,
    Just bought the same Do you have automatic and moonroof? Any other options on yours? Looks like a great price.