Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rowsersrowsers Member Posts: 3
    Hey Everybody!
    I'm buying a '09 Mazda 3 i Touring Automatic and have gotten a quote of $17,100 OTD (in FL), does anyone have advice on whether that's a good price or not? Also, I've gotten the following OTD quotes while shopping:
    '09 Mazda HB Manual S, $17,900
    '09 Mazda HB Auto S, $18,300
    Those prices are after serious leg work on my part, I'm hoping the price for the above sedan is solid! Thanks for any thoughts!

Dave
  • hacphacp Member Posts: 1
    Dave,

I got mine in DelRay Beach, for $15300 plus tax, same 09 Mazda 3 i Touring Automatic,
  • jb66jb66 Member Posts: 8
    I bought the 09 mazda 3 I touring Automatic this week. I paid 17,100 OTD This Included 1,100 in options. Moon Roof / 6 CD player, All weather mats, and lighted compass. This Included Tax, title, etc... Teh HB price sounds off, since the vehicles are around 1800 to 2,000 dollars difference. I worked long and hard to get what edmunds said I should pay. All the dealers stated this the price did not Include tax, title, dest. charge, etc.. I held firm. Hope this helps. I would buy the 5 door if I could get it for that price....
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    it is my honest opinion that you guys probably can get the new 2010 mazda 3 with the new design for about the same as your paying for the 09.because of the rough economy there are deals to be had out there.
  • scdelanscdelan Member Posts: 10
    Yeah if anyone has any information on what the 2010s are going for that would be nice to see. I doubt they're going for the same as the '09s, which have a rebate built in. However, they might drop in price in the coming months if the economy stays as is.
    I wish that were true, but then there would be no motivation to buy the 09's.
    The rebates and incentives are geared toward selling the 09's The 10's are selling well and on pace as dealers get them, which will also factor in on Not getting the same kind of deals. By the end of the year if the demand stays the same and the Inventory is high, there may be more room to deal. Most Car makers are factoring this in by cutting production. Basic economics of supply and demand.
    They 09's are selling very well at this time due to the price drop. Hope this helps. A person can always wait till next year for the same or similar deals on the 10's
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Mazda currently is offering $2000 Customer Cash on the '09 models. They are also offering 2.9% 60-month financing and it can be combined with $1500 Customer Cash.

The 2010 models are only offering 4.9% 60-month financing.

So there is quite a substantial difference in pricing between the '09 and '10 models at the moment. Any time a new model is introduced, there is always a strong push to move the remaining units of the previous model (the '09 MZ3, in this case).

For example, according to Edmunds TMV-

'09 Mazda3 s Touring 5-door AT with 6CD/Moonroof- $17,913
    '10 Mazda3 s Sport 5-door AT with Bose/Moonroof- $22,095

When more of the '09 models are sold and dealers build up an inventory of 2010 models, then they'll start discounting them a bit....hopefully!

ODDLY, I could buy an '09 Mazda6 s Touring with Bose/Moonroof Package for less than I could a '10 Mazda3 s Grand Touring with Bose/Moonroof right now....
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    Excellent Points. In addition Mazda dealers will give you 2,500 cash Incentives if you decline the financing. I shopped around 2 credit unions that I have done business with and with a 760 to 800 credit rating I was told 5 % I put 6000 cash down and told the dealer I would finance the rest over 36 months. I explained that If there banks could not beat or atleast match then I would provide my own financing. The dealer and their lender came back with 5 % I plan on paying the car off in 1 year and only paying a Total of 300 dollars interest on the car, and I received the additonal 500 cash... from Mazda.. Zoom Zoom
  • steve2knowsteve2know Member Posts: 1
    The best offer I was able to get on a 3 GT 4 Door Automatic (velocity red with dune leather) and the moonoof/bose package was 500 below MSRP.
    I realize this isn't a great price, but..
    I was given a decent amount on my trade,
    and if I wait, my car will only depreciate further, negating any price discounts that may be available down the road.
    I'm on the fence about this...I like the car alot(obviously) but ... honest to God, it may be the ugliest car I've ever seen.
    I hadn't thought about it, but when I was shopping, my friend said to me "Do you really want people smiling and laughing at stop lights?
    I cross shopped the Accord (WAY too big) the Acura TSX (WAY too expensive) and...the Mazda won hands down.
    The interior is geat, but.....maybe I'll get used to the smile? ) My friend asked if they'd throw in free floss for 3 years/36k miles..BIG SILENCE
  • crowheartcrowheart Member Posts: 36
    I bought a 2009 Mazda 3 S Touring Hatch Back March 31. I paid 19696 OTD. I thought I got a good price but now I am not sure. The car also has the 6 CD changer and the Moonroof option. I got the 1500 factory rebate as well.

The car had 200 miles on it as well.
  • rowsersrowsers Member Posts: 3
    Howdy!
    I just finished my search for the elusive Mazda 3. I will be buying a 2009 Mazda 3 i Touring tomorrow for 17,000 OTD out the door w/ a new tag (in Orlando, FL), w/ standard (for the touring) options. In my search, I also came across the following prices: (All OTD)
    2009 Mazda 3 s HB Manual, $17,906
    2009 Mazda 3 s HB Auto, $18,300
    2009 i tour auto sedan $17,000
    2009 i tour auto sedan, $17,400
    2008 (w/ 200 miles, from DLR) auto HB s $17,880
    2007 (private party, 31k miles) auto HB s $12,000 +tax
    2009 i tour value auto sedan w/ sirius, 17, 265
    Hope this info helps!

Dave
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    maybe I'll get used to the smile
    Like you I have my reservations about the new design, but I suspect you will get used to it. Audi introduced a striking change to the front of their vehicles two years ago and we all gasped at first but have since adapted to it. In fact some of us think it was a bold move on the part of Audi.

p.s. it appears to me the smile seems less overwhelming on models in black.
    I can honestly say there is no way in Hades that you can walk out of a dealership with a new 2009 Mazda 3s auto HB for an OTD price of 18,300; unless Mazda has increased the factory rebate from 1500 that they offered in March. Is that the case has Mazda upped the factory rebates for the 2009's?
    The 2009 Mazda 3 S Touring HB cannot be had for an OTD price of 18300. That would mean you are essentially getting the car for 17,000 or even less depending on the taxes. I can't seee that. Let me know otherwise. I checked some dealerships around the country and the price on these cars is stable, with an MSRP of almost 21,000.
  • abchin486abchin486 Member Posts: 78
    It is. I bought my sport hatch (auto) for 18.7k OTD back in 07. I did not qualify for the rebates either b/c i got 0% financing. I'd imagine you can get them even cheaper now b/c of the economy and b/c of that monster rebate. My gf just bought a Corolla S with a sunroof for 14.7K...sticker was 20.5K.
    The Touring model Auto HB is a bit more expensive the the sport. Yes, I realize prices are probably dropping as we speak. I paid 19,600 OTD for my 2009 Mazda 3 S with the CD/Moonroof option. Maybe I got clipped...Oh well...
  • vovanivovani Member Posts: 7
    maybe it cannot be had for OTD 18300 but it CAN be had for OTD 18000 even! ;-)

that is the deal I got back in February 09 (search for my earlier post) on 2009 Mazda3 HB Touring (and of course it is S, they all hatchbacks are S's). the price was something close to 16700 after delivery chg and 1000 rebate (who cares about THAT price, you should always work on your OTD number when negotiating); with TTL the price was equal to the budget I set for myself and for the dealer of 18000. there were no options installed like cd changer or moonroof.. however, i got 0% mazda/chase financing for 36 months - that is the reason my rebate was 1000 instead of 1500.

i purchased my car from a high-volume mazda dealer in southwest ohio.. they had a good inventory but only one car in metropolitan gray color that i wanted.. so i took it even though it had 60 miles on it (not a big deal for me)... another point that i learned - you don't always have to wait til the very end of month to get a pretty good deal... :)
    I got clipped a bit it seems. Oh well...I checked my Banks black book so i thought I was getting a good deal. Kind of makes me mad though. Taxes are pretty high here plus I got the moonroof. Still a 1700 dollar difference...Damn, i feel dumb... :cry:
  • cam964cam964 Member Posts: 2
    Be aware of Toms River Auto Maill, Mazda dealer in NJ. They quote you one price and then when you decide the next day to go through with the deal, they tell you there is no way they can sell the car at a lost. Just a heads up.
  • iwannamazda3iwannamazda3 Member Posts: 2
    The Mazda website has the rebate on the '09 Mazda 3 at $1000 plus financing. Where did you hear that the rebate is now $2000? Is this the new rebate for May?
    I only found 1 honest dealer that told me the truth, even the information on the Internet is conflicting. I declined all Mazda / Dealer financing options and took the 2,500 dollars in rebates / Incentives. I did use the dealers bank for the balance of what I did not pay cash for, but Insisted on 5 % or I would provide my own credit union financing of 5 % since I have very good credit. I will make out because the financing equals 300 per yer and I will pay off in 1 year cosing me the 300 but I recieved the 2,500 instead of 2000 rebates for a difference of 200 in my pocket. Combine this with getting a Mazda 3 2009 I touring with moon roof/ cd package, all weather mats, and lighted compass package for 17,100 OTD Includes tax, tittle,all paper work. Zoom Zoom Zoom
  • gulfcoast2gulfcoast2 Member Posts: 1
    I used the Edmonds "contact dealer" feature to get quotes from multiple dealers. I then used the lowest quote to get my local dealer to match or beat and they beat. I have to say Ferman Mazda in Brandon, Florida has a stellar internet sales department. They gave me the lowest quote right off the bat and even gave me a different quote if I was paying in cash (Mazda was offering $1500 cash back and their low financing rates or $2000 if you were not financing). I found that not all dealers know how to deal with an internet buyer, but Ferman Mazda gets to the bottom line very quickly and answered emails quickly. My closer dealer was Cox Mazda in Bradenton, Florida and they matched the Ferman price and threw in a year's worth of servicing (2 oil changes and tire rotations, basically). I would recommend starting with internet quotes from dealers before even stepping foot in a showroom. Right away you'll be closer to a bottom line price by doing your haggling online and playing the dealers off each other.

I am very happy with my car and I was out the door taxes, registration, the whole shebang for $14,911. I wrote a check for the entire amount and bypassed the financing. I didn't have a trade in, I sold my car myself prior to buying a new one. I think Mazda dealers are eager to get the 2009's off their lots because the 2010's are already in. I like the 2009 look better anyway, so it was fine with me. My car came with a net in the trunk and floor mats, it's an automatic.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    The average discount from the M3 in the $18000-20000 range this time of year has been around 2500-3000. This has been the case for the last 3 years or so. Personally I would want $3000 or more because the MSRP increases aren't justified by inflation. A slow economy should help, but the import dealers seem to be doing OK moving some cars and the factories controlling inventories. Of course the Domestics are burning your tax money (they'll pay it back, they're good for it)

Good luck
    -jim
    The '09 MZ3 is a fantastic deal with current incentives. The Edmunds TMV for a MZ3 i Touring Value 4-door 5MT is $14,400 (MSRP of $17,765)...that's a LOT of car for under $14.5k!

I've considered trading in my '06 MZ3 s Touring 5-door (5MT) for an '09 s Grand Touring 5-door AT with Bose/6CD/Moonroof. One of the main reasons I didn't was because I didn't like any of the color choices available on the '09! I didn't want Gray again (my '06 is Titanium Gray), no dark colors (rules out Stormy Blue, Black) and I'm not a fan of Gold (Shimmering Sand), Pearl White or Copper Red....leaving only Sunlight Silver, which didn't do much for me either! If they still had Velocity Red or Winning Blue, it would have been a done deal!

Of course, the 2010 comes in two colors that I LOVE- Celestial Blue and Gunmetal Blue...now I just have to wait (and hope) for that 'grin' on the front-end to grow on me....
  • sd83srrsd83srr Member Posts: 7
    I wanted to know if anyone has Purchased / Leased a 2010 Mazda 3 (I or S) in the month of May or if they know of any special financing, special discounts, money factor/buy rate, etc. I am in need of this information ASAP. I am looking to get into a new car in a week or two due to a lease transfer. Thanks in advance!
  • tinoctinoc Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Got a quote of $23,700 for this car:
    2010 GT HB, Auto Trans, Moonroof/Bose Package, Tech Package.

I live in Orange County, CA.
    Is this a reasonable price at this time?
    Feedbacks are appreciated!
  • irizeririzer Member Posts: 6
    Pretty reasonable. I had received a quote of 24,060 for the same setup. So it seems like a good price quote. They were gonna charge me another 300 for the iPod interface as well. I don't know if you are getting that option. I still feel like their should be some more discounts out there. Would think it be great to see it around 22.5, but I guess it is still to new for discounts.
  • mars168mars168 Member Posts: 10
    I am looking for a 5D 2009 Mazda3, either s or touring, since cost is a factor in my consideration. Still worried about its cargo rm, with kids, I might need at least big access, and also relatively big space if bring kids for some light outing.
    In today's economy, what kind of price I should look for as out of door price?

Meanwhile, also look for Matrix or Vibe (if it can go really cheap) as alternative

Thanks
  • dakennydakenny Member Posts: 7
    I wanted to get more information about the Preferred buyer's card.

Was wondering if it is usable if you also already have a Mazda, so get the loyalty discount when purchasing. If I understand correctly, that is worth a $500 discount too.

If you can use both simultaneously, how can I go about getting one, I have a feeling the dealer I want to buy a car from is not going to just hand me a $500 coupon right before I make a purchase.
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    igozoomzoom: Checkout Mazda3forum, a member has a night time drive of the new 2010 Mazda 3 s GT fully loaded. It's awesome little car - some call it - a "Bimmer Wanna be". The meber posted it on the4 forum ina UTUBE video. You'll get over the "smiley face". btw, I saw the Gunmetal Blue up close in the daylight, looks to marinish blue for my taste. Almost bought 2010 Mazda 3 s GT w/Bose & Moonroof, but Dealer had no incentives. Offering about $800 off MSRP. Ended up with a terrific deal ona 2008.5 Mazda 3 s Touring w/Moonroof/Cd changer. Bought it $16,950 new on April 29, 2009. I looked high and Low for a 2009 3 sGT but could only find it in 5 dr HB no Sedans.
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    Just got a Mazda 3 s Touring with Moonroof/Cd package, cargo nets, floor mats for $16,950 with application of rebates, financed with Bank of America thru the Dealer at 5.7% (not great I have AAA credit). Took the car April 27th at a Mazda Dealer in Westchester County, NY. I was shooping for a 2009 Mazda 3 s GT with Bose/Moonroof all over the North east area, couldn't find any in 4 dr sedan. I don't like the 5 dr HB in the 2008-2009, but I do in the 2010. No deals currently for the 2010. Really nice car. Found the 2008.5 while shooping on a Sunday for the 2009. Traded in an 2001 Pathfinder with 120K (had a bad transfer case/water pump, window motors) for $4,250. Got a new car for $12,700+/- plus sales taxes, which are deuctibel for this year!!!
  • neotrinityneotrinity Member Posts: 1
    I have got a quote for an 2010 i Touring 4 door, Gun blue metallic, 6 CD changer, Sirius Satellite Radio for 18000+tax+fees. Can someone let me know if this a good deal for Bay Area, CA please?.

Thanks
  • mazdagainmazdagain Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me if this is way off? 09 i touring, AT sedan, 17" alloy wheels, 2.0L DOHC w/ VVT. After $1000 rebate plus $750more off from dealer the base price is $16.9K, 2.9% 60 month financg, plates/doc $300, and monthly paymt is $297. I have read here that prices went up during the year - can I find out when the dealer got this one? Actually he's getting it from another dealer. I have seen some lower prices here, but don't know the financing offered. We go on Monday for paperwk, so there may be some option for more negotiation.

As a background, we started looking for a 3rd family car, a used Civic or Mazda 3 or Corolla for the new teen driver in our family. 3 more new drivers will follow, 2 of them within the next 4 yrs. We wanted to keep paymt $250 or less, no more than 48 mos. term. After driving an 06 Mazda 3 GT loaded for $15K (and loving it of course), I compared it to an 09 i touring, which would last longer than any 05 or 06 used car.

At this point we have decided an 09 i touring would be my husband's car, (altho I want it I'll have to keep my YukonXL), our teen would use the '05 Bonneville, except take the Mazda 3 for longer drives or skiing. The high school is in a small city with cramped pkg, no way a new car will work for that.
    That sounds like a good deal - lowest I was quoted was around $16k. Can you break down the price again it seems a little unclear. You're saying it's $1750 off of $16.9k or $16.9k after everything? Sounds like the first if your monthly fee is $297. I'm guessing that by base price you mean what the dealer is offering you as a starting point (still cheaper than msrp).

What dealer is this?
    Actually $16,950 is the price after $1750 off what the genl sales mgr says is $18,700 MSRP (I think this is what I meant by base price). Although the sheet they emailed to me said 18,743 and I told him that. They are also 'throwing in' all season floor mats. If this price could use a little work, I'm tempted to ask them to throw in a spoiler....
    Then your numbers aren't adding up correctly. $297/month after tax, tags, and everything is far too low. You must be trading something in or putting down cash. Check the Edmunds financial calculator and your number will come out higher.

See if you can negotiate lower. As I said, I was able to get down to $16k for one of the last ones on the dealer lot after $1750 off.

Edit: I think it'd be hard to throw in a spoiler unless that's a dealer installed option. They might not be willing to do it. You'd be better off arguing for a better sales price unless you're really set on that extra piece of metal.
    Right...we are putting $1K down, no trade in, plus putting in the tax ($848 @ 5%). Non-tax fees for plates & docs are $349 (figured into financg). I've been using the AAA auto loan calculator.

I also looked at it from the standpoint that the total car paymts (292x 60), plus the down paymt (1K), plus any rebates (1750), shouldn't add up to significantly more than the orig. MSRP of the car. Basically, betwn low financing and rebates/discounts, I want to get free financing. That way I'm only paying what the car is worth and when trade-in time comes I won't owe signif. more than the value. Of course this doesn't take into acct depreciation.

I figure we'll like the car so much (Mazda faith) that we'll not want to trade in for a few yrs after paymts are done. I'm not hooked on spoiler, I thought it could be a dealer installed thing, just looking for something a little more
    I've been keeping an eye on Edmunds TMV for the new MZ3 and it finally is reflecting a bit of a discount. I'm wanting a 5-door Sport with Moonroof/Bose/6CD and Automatic Transmission- MSRP- $22,095 and TMV of $21,299.

Anyone seen or been offered a better discount on a 2010 model yet?
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    The average discount (from MSRP) on the (new 09) M3 this time of year is about $3000, either in cash or favorable financing terms. Perhaps less for the real cheapies, perhaps a bit more for a loaded grand touring.

If you hit 10-2- dealers last week of the month via email requesting bids you may be able to do better, but the 09 supplies are shrinking. Sometimes the last few days of the month reveal a few standouts with callbacks, but you have to email them (within 100-200mi) to let them know you are looking and exist.

A dealer should be able to install a spoiler for $300 or so, if you really gotta have it.

Seen a few of the Civic EX auto (sunroof alloys etc) approaching the low 17000's mentioned on that forum. The Lx seems to be stuck in the low 16000s. A price in the high 16000's on an EX from an eager beaver last few days of the month would be hard to turn down, if it could happen where you live. Same for the low 15000's on the LX.

Good luck
    -Jim
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    I've been pricing out a 2010 GT touring HB, manual trans, with tech and moonroof/ bose, in the CT area. Thus far I received one invoice quote from Gallo Mazda in MA, and $500 over invoice from Balse Mazda in MA as well. I'm not too high on Balse, they take too many emails to provide the needed info and do not answer all my questions.

I'm not in a rush to purchase a vehicle, so I'll wait for low financing and/or rebates.

Has anyone else priced this configuration out in the CT/NY/NJ/MA area? My last four vehicles I've purchased outside of CT simply to avoid the $300 doc fee, and other add-ons. I've found NY dealers are much more willing to deal under invoice.
    I figured out the Preferred Buyer's Card. If you call Mazda directly, to their Customer Assistance Representative (1-800-222-5500) also on their MazdaUSA.com website, you can ask them. They have a limited number of cards, which are useful only for a new car.

Ask them and they will send you the card, $500 off :D
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to hear from current car-shoppers by 5pm Pacific on May 18, 2009. Please send to jfallon@edmunds.com your daytime contact info and a few sentences about the impressions of the marketplace in relation to the dramatic news surrounding the auto industry.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications

Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• herbench21herbench21 Member Posts: 6
    I've been in contact with 2 dealerships and asked for quotes and OTD quotes and these are what they gave me. This is my first time purchasing a brand new car so I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly.

2009 model with Moonroof: TMV $22 423 and Invoice $22 439
    1st Dealership: $21 462.84; haven't replied on OTD
    2nd Dealership: $22 762.00; OTD $24 987.00

2010 model with Moonroof ONLY: TMV $23 934 and Invoice $22 749
    1st Dealership: They don't have this in stock
    2nd Dealership: $22 986.00; OTD $24 765.00

2010 model with Moonroof AND Tech: TMV $25 009 and Invoice $23 777
    1st Dealership: $25 149; haven't replied on OTD
    2nd Dealership: They don't have this in stock

Do you think these are good prices? What else should I ask in order to get a fair or better deal? Also, the reason why the 2010 model is cheaper is because of their Memorial Day Special.

Any thoughts?
  • mars168mars168 Member Posts: 10
    What will be Memorial Day special? I am looking for almost same as you, and I talked with MAZDAUSA, they said there is no special from the manufacturer, maybe it is dealer specific.
    I heard you might get quote for below invoice, + TTL
    I'm not sure what their Memorial Day special is...that's all the internet salesman said. You can get quote for under invoice? for how much? what's TTL?
    There's a pre-owned 2008 Mazda 3 Grand Touring HB Auto with Moonroof with 18K for $19 995 in the color that I want. Is that a good price?
  • zar1zar1 Member Posts: 24
    Purchased a 2010 GT HB Auto w/Tech & Moonroof package, auto dim/Homelink mirror, locking lugs, cargo net and rear bumper guard a couple weeks ago for $650 below dealer invoice. Note: Currently in southern California you need to add $150 to the dealer invoice shown on Edmunds to account for mandatory regional ad charge by Mazda to dealers to cover their extensive TV campaign. Was able to get quotes at invoice from dealers almost everywhere between north LA county to San Diego. Used $500 Preferred Buyers Card mentioned in earlier posts and Chase's 2.9% financing. All dealers are hungry so if you live in southern California or other areas with lots of dealers you shouldn't have to pay any more than invoice. Zoom zoom!
    That's a zoom zoom buy! :) How much was your OTD if you don't mind me asking. We travel enough times to San Diego and maybe we should look there...but if the OTD here is cheaper than the OTD over there then maybe i should just get it here.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    anyone know what i should be paying for this car down here in sou fla.2010 mazda 3 i touring auto..msrp on the cars that iv'e looked at are 19,200.00 and edmunds invoice price is $17,180.00.
    Just bought it tonight, worked my butt off for this deal.

Got it for 18,000 OTD, (paid 16,500 :surprise: with preferred buyer's card and 1,000 trade in)

Has spoiler, fog lights, and chrome gas door. Like I said, worked really hard...

In Maryland, had gotten quotes for 18,200 OTD with no options, but worked this last dealer down.

good luck to everyone... Zoom Zoom! :D