Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• brainfertilizebrainfertilize Posts: 46
    edited September 2010
    (I hope I'm not too late)
    That's not bad, but I think you might be able to do better.

I had Bankston Mazda in Ft Worth talked down to $17500+TTL for a 2010 Mazda3 iTouring AT in Graphite w/ Dune interior and 0% financing. No trade-in, no Mazda Loyalty bonus.

That works out to about $18800 out the door.

At the same time, they were offering me an identical 3 that had 912 miles on it for $17100+TTL, so that would be about $18400 out the door...no explanation of why it had over 900 miles on it...it had a few scratches on it, which made me feel disappointed enough that I test-drove a 2010 Mazda6, fell in love with it more than the Mazda3, and went with the 6 instead (see the 6 thread for details).

Freeman Mazda in Dallas will be very competitive w/ Bankston, but I liked the character of the people at Bankston better. I just noticed I can't post anyone's actual name.
  • It depends on your credit.

I just got 0% financing w/ 0 down, and no payments for 90 days.
  • My credit is pretty good to very good, tho I haven't looked at my score recently; I'm not expecting it to be a problem (but I have heard that car dealerships use their own confusing statistical amalgam of lots of credit scores. whatever).

Can you outline whether there are up-front "processing" fees (not the processing fees that refer to their advertising stuff etc that are usually nonnegotiable nowadays) to take advantage of their financing? Mazda's financing fee? (The amount per $1000 lent, I mean.)

I want to know what I'm expected to shell out for and when.
  • are doc fees required by law?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    are doc fees required by law?

Required? No. Permitted? Yes. Under that permission comes specific regulations and guidelines.

Usually, dealers have to apply for a doc fee from the state they operate their business in. By law, they do have to charge everyone equally with this fee, unless they have a wholesale license.
  • Price before TTT but after leather and heated was around $17,700
  • D.C.-area dealer's first offer for model with automatic transm and the moonroof/cd changer option only: $21,488 plus tax/tags/title/AND freight.

Clearly high for the first "negotiation" out of the gate, I believe.

And this has happened at 2 Mazda dealerships -- they add the freight costs in like that? Went to a different car manufacturer to compare its "version" of the Mazda3 hatchback and that freight was already accounted for in the MSRP.

Isn't that where it's supposed to be?

So pls weigh in on the offer, and why the freight comes in afterward?

(I'm still trying to find a 2010, but I'm getting discouraged)
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 797
    edited September 2010
    "(I'm still trying to find a 2010, but I'm getting discouraged)"

Here's what I found within 50 miles or so of the DC area that fit your specs (2010 MZ3 s Sport 5-door, AT, Bose/Moonroof package). I found at least 7, but color choices are limited-

Brown's Fairfax Mazda (Fairfax, VA)- Black/Black - $22,630
    Sheehy Mazda (Marlow Heights, MD)- Black/Black - $22,680 (wheel locks- $50)
    Gaithersburg Mazda (Gaithersburg, MD)- Silver/Black and Black/Black -$22,680

Brown's Chantilly Mazda (Chantilly, VA)- has the following three:
    Black/Dune, $22,720 - ($50 wheel locks, $40 cargo net)
    Graphite/Black, $22,735 - ($50 wheel locks, $200 autodim mirror/compass)
    Crystal White Pearl/Black, $22,920 - ($50 wheel locks, $40 cargo net, $200 Pearl Paint Charge)

Maybe one of those might work for you....good luck!
  • gogiboygogiboy Posts: 732
    "I've never done dealer financing before; this is all new to me.

I don't really want to wait until I'm sitting in the financing office chair with the employee throwing info at me, so educate me!"

There's really nothing to it. You won't even need to talk to the salesperson about financing because you will be passed to the F & I salesperson for financing as well as extended warranty and other add-ons, which you can either purchase or decline. Dealer financing is no different than any other financing; it is based on your established credit worthiness. The dealership will "run your credit history" with one (or more) of the three credit bureaus to determine your score. I think anything above 720 on the FICO scale gets you top tier or the most favorable financing rate. A lower score will get you a higher percentage--and cost you more money in the long run--pretty straightforward.

Since you are putting down a significant down payment, perhaps you can--and should--try for a shorter loan term, which will save you potentially hundreds of dollars.

You can check your own credit score for free online once per year. Make sure you go to the correct website. Many say "free credit report" and then proceed to charge you for your scores. Also, negotiate the price of the car separately from any financing since you don't want to muck up the deal or find that the low monthly rate you got was because you ended up in a longer term loan. A good rule of thumb is if you can't pay it off easily in two-three years it's too expensive a car.

I bought my Mazda3 new in 2007 with 1.8% financing over two years. I, too, put down a big down payment. The finance charge for the two years totaled about $235.

Gogiboy
  • gogiboygogiboy Posts: 732
    edited September 2010
    "And this has happened at 2 Mazda dealerships -- they add the freight costs in like that? Went to a different car manufacturer to compare its "version" of the Mazda3 hatchback and that freight was already accounted for in the MSRP."

Did you try Fitzgerald Automall? They are much more upfront with their pricing and are in the DC area. Go to www.fitzmall.com. I have no connection to the dealership and don't even live in the DC area, but have heard that they have competitive pricing.

Don't forget that many posters on this and other prices-paid forums have a tendency to exclude important information like their trade-in or taxes weren't included in the "negotiated" deal. Also far too many people battle tooth and nail for the supposed best price and then give it all back to the bank or car manufacturer's financing arm through ridiculous long-term (5, 6, 7, even 8 year) loans.

Gogiboy
  • What do you guys think about this offer? I know I can get a better deal on the 2010's, but I like the updates to the Tech package for the 2011's.

2011 Mazdaspeed3 w/ Tech
    MSRP: $26,605.00
    Selling price: $24,500.00
    OTD with 6% tax: $26,678.37
    $24,500 plus 6% tax ($1470) is $25,970. What all is included in the additional $708.37 in the OTD price of $26,678.37? It sounds like more than just tag/registration and title fee, but states vary so I may be wrong....just making sure there isn't some sneaky fee tucked in there....

$24,500 sounds like a pretty good price for the 2011 MS3 with Tech Pkg ($2,105 off MSRP).

The 2011 Tech Package updates are worth the extra cash, in my opinion. A 2010 MS3 would only save about $1300, if that much. You get the Bi-Xenon HID headlamps, Adapative Front Lighting System, Auto On/Off Headlight control, LED taillights and rain sensing wipers in addition to a car that's one model year newer! :)
  • If you are in the DC area, you must view the Mazda vehicles at Fitzgerald.com. They usually sell at or below invoice. I have purchased and looked at many vehicles in the DC area and I always use Fitz's prices as a starting point. Knowing, I can buy at a low price at Fitz makes it very easy to work with other dealers, they all know the Fitz price and will usually meet or beat that price. If they don't, I know I can always leave and go to Fitz and buy at a decent price.

Also remember, in MD the dealer documentation fee is only $99. That fee is much higher in VA - $399 in some cases.

Also, the Fitz price on the internet includes freight, which other dealers often exclude from their on line prices. This can result in confusion.

What you see on the Fitz web site is what you pay except for tax and title and the $99 documentation fee.

My only caveat about Fitz, like with any dealer, just say no to everything they offer in the finance office. That way you will get a good deal and you won't be bothered after the purchase that you may have purchased some product in the finance office which you did not want and which costs too much.
    I just took a look at the Fitz website and the advertised prices are great on most models...I'm in Georgia, but I bookmarked them because I'm planning to trade my '06 MZ3 in the next six months or so. I had horrible experiences at several Atlanta dealerships when I was shopping my '06 back in 12/05! I ended up buying it from a dealer in Knoxville, TN and driving over four hours each way to get it...but I got a great deal and very little hassle from them. I'm willing to consider any dealer within one day's drive for my next Mazda, so thanks!

They have one 2010 MZ3 s Sport 5-door still showing in stock. It's Black/Black, Moonroof/Bose package, Remote Start, SIRIUS, Rear Aero Flares and Rear Center Skirt, Bumper Step Plate, Wheel Locks, Cargo Mat, All-weather floormats and Autodim Rearview Mirror w/ Compass (quite a few dealer-installed accessories). The MSRP is $24,795 but they are advertising the Internet Price as $21,603 and that's not their lowest price, apparently...you have to click to request a lower quote. But it sounds like a great deal even at $21,603!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    A reporter wants to interview people who are focused on achieving 30mpg or better in their next car puchase. Please reply to pr@edmunds.com by Fri, Oct 15, 2010 with your daytime contact info and a few thoughts on the subject.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• This is what we paid for our Mazda3s, right?

So here we go. Did everything over the phone and internet for 2011 Mazda3 i Touring Manual with no extra options.
    In the end, driving away with it for $18,000 including dealer fee, 6% tax, registration and tags in PA. So, I would say, the price of the car itself is $16,800. But... But it is including $500 Mazda loyalty discount because I have Mazda already.
  • 2010 i3 Touring Auto, Bose/moonroof. Chicago area.

19,360 - $500 cash back = 18,860 + tax
    This was the last gunmetal blue in the area. Dealer would have parted with a black one for 18,500.
  • I just bought a 2011 3 s sedan 6 speed/2.5L and bose moonroof for 17,400 (19,000 OTT) in Florida. MSRP was 21,629. Great deal. Love the car. Am adding the Sirus radio and leather for 1,200 from an installer of the dealer (faked a referral from the dealer!!!!).Will add engine mods from Corksports when the designs are done.
  • yy83yy83 Posts: 1
    I have an offer for a new 2010 Mazda3 iTouring AT sedan White. (no moon roof) for $17,898 out the door.

Also have a 2010 Mazda3 Sport AT Hatchback dark gray with 13k miles on it at $18,075 out the door.

This is in Florida

Having a hard time deciding.
  • I bought mine in Port Richey. There are better deals for new cars that these (2011). Try searching in cars.com and autotrader.com. Lealand in Miami and Yoemans in Daytona have really good deals.
  • Can you combine the special 500 financing rebate with the 500 dealer cash?
  • I'm confusing...for a 2010 Mazda 3 i Touring Automatic without moonroof ,etc for $17,500 OTD? Is this a good deal? or anybody could find a better offer? Thanks.
  • Can anyone tell me how much I can expect to get off the sticker price for a 2011 Mazda3 i touring with the moon and tune option? Please make it before rebates or taxes. I think I can get $3000.00 off sticker but not sure. Thanks for any help.
    Pricing may vary by state/region, so where you live may be different from the following amounts that I pulled using my zip code (Atlanta area)-

2011 Mazda3 i Touring 4-door (assuming 5-speed manual)
    w/ Bose/Moonroof Package
    Sticker Price- $20,290
    Best Local Price (TrueCar.com) - $18,153 ($2137 total discount)*
    * $500 Marketing Support (Dealer Cash) is included in this total

2011 Incentives available-
    0.9% APR for 60 months + $400 Bonus Cash- must finance thru Mazda's captive lender

So you could save another $400, making the total $17,753. With the finance rate of 0.9%, with $1500 down payment, would result in a payment of around $280 for 60 months. Over the life of the loan, you'd pay less than $600 in interest! If you had to finance the same amount at 6.99% on a regular 60-month loan, you would end up paying about $3100 in interest. So the 0.9% loan will save you more than $2500 compared to a conventional loan at the current average rate.

Another suggestion you might want to consider is a leftover 2010 Mazda3 i Touring. The 2010 and 2011 i Touring models are identical with no changes made for 2011. Here's an idea of the deal you could expect-

2010 Mazda3 i Touring 4-door MT
    Moonroof/Bose Package
    Sticker Price - $20,070
    Best Local Price (TrueCar.com) - $16,550*
    * $1500 Marketing Support (Cash to Dealer) included in this total

2010 Incentives
    0.0% APR Financing for 60 months + $750 Bonus Cash
    That would bring the price down to $15,800 and you wouldn't pay a penny in interested over the life of the loan! That's a savings of around $2550 compared to the 2011 model ($1600 lower purchase price, $600 interest savings compared to 0.9% loan, $350 more Bonus Cash).

Buying a previous model year vehicle usually has one significant drawback- depreciation is much greater than on a current year model. But that doesn't seem to be an issue in this situation! The Mazda3 has the highest resale value in its class and a 2010 Mazda3 i Touring MT currently has a used value of $17,215 (Dealer Retail). So there's no need to worry about negative equity. Your insurance rates will also be lower by as much as 15% on Comp/Collision coverages.

Good luck!
  • In December: 18,400 after rebates for the iTouring with the Bose/moonroof pkg in white.
  • pdsouzapdsouza Posts: 5
    edited January 2011
    paid 21800 + TTL. with 0.9 for 60 months financing.
    Got carried way and bought the grand touring , would recommend the hatchback base, it has everything you would need and cost ~3000 less.
    price includes 500 auto show discount.
    bought in bay area. CA.
  • Have a proposal from a dealer-brand new 2010 Mazda3 Grand Touring w/moon and tune plus tech package plus all leather, keyless etc.. 6 speed man. 22,485, 24300 OTD.

Sound like a deal? Looks good to me. Any input would help!
    Edmunds True Market Value (TMV) for a 2010 Mazda3 s GT 5-door, 6MT, Moonroof/Bose pkg, Tech Pkg is $22,261. So 22,485 is barely $200 higher, so it sounds like a good deal! The MSRP is $25,485, so it looks like the dealer knocked an even $3k off sticker price. FYI- if you didn't already know, Mazda is providing a $1500 Cash to Dealer incentive, so the dealer is actually discounting the car $1500 as well.

BUT, I need more info before I can say whether $24,300 OTD is still just as good a deal! What does the $1815 difference (between $22,485 and $24,300) consist of? What is your sales tax rate and do you pay it on the full price of the car or did you have a trade that would reduce the taxable amount? What else is in that amount- any extra fees or charges?

BTW, what color is it? Mostly out of curiosity, but if it's the Pearl White that costs $200 extra....
  • woodstockguywoodstockguy Posts: 18
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the feedback-sticker is 25485 and they took off 3000 to net 22485. tax=1373.10, dealer fee is 399 and title is 42 for the OTD of 24300.

From what you mentioned there is another 1500 to work with? No trade -either cash or finance.

The car is the Mica Red-really like the metallic flake. Kind of a "young" color for a 49 year old guy but I like it!
  • BTW-I am in the same market you are in so the incentives should be the same-I',m thinking 22,300 OTD which includes the 1500 cash to dealer incentive. Worth a shot.