Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gman4911gman4911 Member Posts: 43
    edited March 2012
    My experience with the wholesale club programs is that you can do better on your own. As usual, YMMV.
  • steveaspesisteveaspesi Member Posts: 46
    I agree that you can do better than the costco price - but you'll have to earn it and it's not for the timid. If you've been around the block more than once buying a new car and you like to haggle, then you know there are all kinds of tricks sales people will use to lure you into the dealership only to find an unexpected advertising fees, or an excessive doc prep fee or maybe the car you wanted has seat fabric protector and they just can't give it away - even after asking for the OTD price - some dealers will say and do anything to get you to walk from one dealer to another.

with that said, there's value in having someone present you a price without the gamesmanship
  • sparker4sparker4 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a new 2011 Mazda3 S Sport 5d and a Mazda3 i Touring 4d.

The five door is listed at $18,890, which is $2,800 off of the MSRP ($21,690). The four door is listed at about $17,000 which is about $3,000 off of the MSRP (19,995). I will probably be able to get another $500 off on each as a first time car buyer so that would put the five door at $18,390, and the four door at $16,500.

I expect a pretty good discount for buying last year's model, and these seem good. But I'm wondering if there's still room to push on the dealer. At this point they have 5 new 2011 Mazda3's, so it seems to me that they have been sitting on them for quite sometime and are lucky for me to even be looking at them (it is almost the end of March!). I've also heard that the dealer doesn't give anything up from their bottom line with these types of incentives because Mazda is really covering the cost.

The five door is my preference because of 2.5L engine, I'd like to pay at or under $17,000 for it (before trade-in: 2001 Nissan Altima w/ 198,000 miles - offered $1,500 for it). Is that a completely unrealistic number?
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Go for it! $17K is not unrealistic. Just remember, it's up for negotiation and therefore you may have to listen to some "unrealistic" salesman talk.

The big factor, of course, is depreciation which happens primarily in the first year in the range of 20% to 30%. Check out Edmunds' / New Cars / True Cost to Own function for different models and years. You'll see the Mazda3 2012 hatchback depreciation in the first year is around $5K.

Aiming at $17K means you are asking for about a 20% discount. With your $1500 trade-in it equals $15.5K.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    got a quote via the internet today from a dealer in the Bay Area for 18,950 + tax and title

not bad - even said I'd get the .09% financing for 36 mo. with my good credit.

just have to get over the stress of signing on the dotted line and enslaving myself for the comfort of driving a new automobile
  • chickraechickrae Member Posts: 44
    Bought my 2012 Mazda 3 touring w/skyactiv. MSRP was 20,775 which included satellite radio antenna $430. I paid 20,035. They gave me 6,200 trade in. It's all a numbers game. Supposedly I got a Costco discount, but that remains to be seen. They didn't even ask for my Costco card. I am now wondering if I paid tax on the total price of the car when they were suppose to subtract my trade in and then add tax. I will have to get my contract out and look. I had checked another dealership and the car was more. I am very happy with my car even though I thought I would never get out of that place....4 hours later...
    you know, if I remember correctly, Costco guarantees their price and I know for a fact that the Costco price for that car in the Bay Area was allot lower than what you paid.

it might be hard to figure it all out with the trade in factoring into the deal - but if I were you, I'd get the Costco Price from another dealer and compare.
    might be worth a grand to you.
  • crw7096crw7096 Member Posts: 21
    I would like some input on where I should begin as to negotiating on a new Mazda3. I am looking at a 2012 Mazda3 S Grand Touring 6-speed manual. The MSRP is $25,095. The dealer has it on "special" for $23,995. Edmunds TMV is $23,941, basically spitting distance of the special price. My question is, how likely will the dealer be to drop the price another $500 since I currently own a 2008 Mazda3 and there is a loyalty incentive? After reading the fine print on the loyalty, it says that dealers have the right to refuse to combine it with "private" offers. Invoice is $23,442 and I would like to get as close to that number as possible. This is my first Mazda purchase on my own, however my family has purchased 3 Mazdas from the dealership with the vehicle I want. Think I have much wiggle room as for price?

Also, are there any other incentives currently out there? I plan to take advantage of the 0.9% financing for 36 months as well as trade in my current 2008 Mazda3 S Sport with 70,000 miles.

I live in the DFW area but the dealer is in East Texas. I have looked for similar vehicles in the DFW area but no manual GT sedans are out there.

Any help is appreciated!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    2012 Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4-door - $25,095
    6-speed Manual
    Tech Pkg

Here are the price quotes from three reputable sites-

KBB- $23,067 Fair Purchase Price (includes $500 Loyalty)

TrueCar.com- $22,534 Target Price (includes $500 Loyalty)

Edmunds TMV- $23,441 with $500 Loyalty Cash

I searched for all the cars meeting your specs within a 250-mile radius of Dallas, TX and, as you've already realized, they are few and far between!
    What color(s) are you considering? Dolphin Gray is your best bet with three different dealers to choose from; I also found one each of Velocity Red, Liquid Silver, and Indigo Lights. All have Black interior except the Indigo.
    There are also three in the San Antonio area- one each- Dolphin Gray, Graphite and Liquid Silver.

If I were you, I would request a quote on every single car that meets my specs (all the Dolphin Gray ones, for instance....or Dolphin Gray and Liquid Silver, if you'll take either). Request that they respond by email so you'll have a hard copy of every quote.

At $23,495 ($23,995 minus $500 Loyalty Cash), it wouldn't be a bad deal...but I think you can get it down to at least $23,000. If you run across ANY Mazda dealer who refuses to apply the $500 Loyalty Incentive, turn and walk back out the door!!! No EXCEPTIONS!!! Tell them to kiss your @ss...or get me on the phone and I'll be more than happy to verbally eviscerate them for you!!!

You also need to make sure you're getting as fair deal on your trade-in! So many people will haggle to the death to save $3000 off sticker price, only to get screwed out of $2000 on their trade-in! Check KBB.com and Edmunds to determine what yours is worth. Print out those valuations and take them to the dealer if they are offering you significantly less- ask them to explain! If you have a Carmax or similar nearby, drop in and find out how much they will pay for your trade-in, just for perspective if nothing else.

If you qualify for the 0.9% APR for 36 months, DEFINITELY take advantage of it! That will save you thousands over a regular APR loan.

Finally, DON'T let your guard down after you have finished negotiating the purchase price and/or trade-in amount. The last stop will be the in the Finance Office and they are the sneakiest SOBs of all! They'll try to add extras you don't want or need (rust proofing, fabric protection, VIN etching, just to name a few) and they will also push Extended Warranties very strongly- just say NO! They only push these items because they are HUGELY PROFITABLE- and often not worth the paper they're written on for the buyer!

Good luck, let me know how it goes and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • perma88perma88 Member Posts: 23
    what is the lowest price some of you think that i could get a 2012 i-touring 4dr sedan for with incentives (if any), 1st time buyer with no trade in. will travel tri-state in NJ, southeast PA and DE area.
  • chickraechickrae Member Posts: 44
    I had bought the car when I posted that last message. The costco discount here is $500. I feel like I got a great deal. Not to mention the blue book on my mustange was between 5,300 and 6,000 and I got 6,200. Other dealerships were only going to give me between 3,800 and 4,200. It's all numbers, maybe I didn't get as much discounted on the new car, but I made up for it on the trade in. I am very happy with the deal. I also got 0.9 financing for 3 years but I only owe 5,000 so will try to pay it off this year.
    I ended up getting the Velocity Red Mazda3 S Grand Touring 6MT with Tech Package yesterday. I printed out the other dealers offers as well as my trade valuation. It wasn't really difficult to get them to match that deal once they knew that I would buy from someone else if they couldn't do the price.

MSRP - $25,095.
    Discount - $2,434
    Selling Price - $22,661
    Trade - $9,500
    TOTAL - $13,161 + TTL

Overall pleased with the deal and love the car.
  • bill1000bill1000 Member Posts: 38
    Having just bought this same trim level, I believe the best price is right around $19k (sticker of $20,400). This does not reflect the loyalty or military incentives as I did not qualify. If you get quoted a price much lower than $19k I believe you should expect dealers to make up the difference with bogus fees and prep charges. I live in PA and my best out the door price was $20,300. It is irritating to have a dealer quote some low price and then work it up to the same number as another dealer that was more upfront.
  • ialtqqialtqq Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    a dealer asking for 20k (including TTL) for a 2012 Skyactiv Mazda 3 i Touring 5d Hatch AT. Good deal? or can i do better and keep looking?
  • farkle0079farkle0079 Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2012
    Bad deal. Invoice is $19,600. I'm in the Bay Area and paid $18,100 for iTouring AT hatchback during the 1st week of April. Got to pick any color I wanted too.
    You got out the door for $18,100? That means they sold you the car for around $17,000 plus TTL...that would be $2600 under invoice. Did you have a trade?
    ...or did you qualify for loyalty or military incentives?
    Invoice is actually $20,069 to my knowledge, so this appears to be a good OTD deal if your sales tax is around 6%.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    He didn't say OTD. My guess is he failed to understand the post above his was an OTD price. So not at all comparable.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jlw46jlw46 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at this car. When you say that trim level, can you tell me, does it have all the bells and whistles including moon roof for this price?
    I bought the i touring sedan with Skyactiv engine and auto transmission. MSRP was $20,400 including destination (actually MSRP was $20,345 plus $55 for wheel locks). I did not get the moonroof.

FYI - The moonroof package would add another $1400 to the MSRP.
  • bassecbassec Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2012
    Hi all - in the process of buying a 4-door AT iTouring Mazda3 2012. Currently, best offer OTD in Atlanta, GA is $19,666.05, or $18,343.50 excluding TTL. Have had 3 dealers in the area already say they cannot beat this price. I gave all dealers until Thursday this week. Have this quote in paper through email with a internet sales manager.

Thoughts on this OTD price? Again, 4-door AT iTouring Mazda3 2012.

They did bundle in a $500 'document' fee, but still puts this car even below invoice according to Edmunds and Truecar.

Edmunds invoice = $19,497 excluding TTL
    Edmunds TMV = $19,862 excluding TTL
    Truecar invoice = $19,751 excluding TTL.
    Truecar market average = $19,478 excluding TTL.

Getting it for $18,343.50 excluding TTL seems pretty damn good, yeah?

Averaging the invoices across the two sites, I get an average invoice price of $19,624. My offer appears to be $1,280.50 below invoice. Seems pretty sweet.
  • rth121rth121 Member Posts: 4
    What is the OTD pricing people got for the MAZDA3 5-Door i Touring Automatic out the door price in Northern California? My local dealer seems to be asking for $18,999 (before loyalty + military which I don't qualify for) + tax, doc, lic.
    If you can really get that price, good for you. As I have posted above, I'd be very skeptical of any selling price for that car that is below $18,900 plus TTL. Did they use any assumed incentives to get down to the $18,343? I assume you are looking at an AT iTourng with Skyactiv engine.
    $18,999 is a very good price and consistent with what I know about the current market. Just be careful they don't tack on bogus fees like dealer prep. You should only pay sales tax and reasonable fees for tags and doc prep...maybe $200 total. If sales tax runs you 7.25%,then you should be at almost $20,600 OTD
    Here is the breakdown I have:

Sales Price $17,844.00
    Sales taxes $1,301.55
    Doc fee $499.50
    Title fee $21.00

The $19,666.05 was referred to as an OTD price by the dealer so if they try to pull any funny games, I'll be packing. Especially cause it's about a 45 minute drive and I'm in a position to walk (don't NEED a new car...current one is on it's last legs though).
    OK. That price is still hard to believe. Please post how it goes as I am curious to see if they really get you out the door at that price. My guess is that at that price they are banking on you buying some additional iems like warranty, protective coating package, etc. I also assume you have no trade that could be distorting the real price of the new car. I have a good friend that is a dealer and he assures me that no Mazda dealer in the US can sell it at that price and not lose money....

Good luck!
    edited May 2012
    Got it yesterday for $18,593 before TTL. Even got .9% financing with no money down.

They managed to get an extra $250 from me by saying $250 mazda cash was included in the price and I couldn't take both the .9 and the mazda cash. I knew I was getting a great deal anyway so I didn't worry over it.

My OTD price was $19,916 I believe.

They offered me $3000 for my trade in, but Carmax appraised at $3500 so I just went with Carmax (the tax savings did not make up for the $500 difference)
  • rth121rth121 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2012
    I found another dealer offering the Mazda 3 5-door i Touring Skyactiv Automatic for $18,889. (2 to choose from), other dealer which was $18,999 had 3 to choose from.

MSRP: $20,945
    Cypress Coast (Dealer) Discount: $2,056
    Sale Price: $18,889
    Loyalty Rebate* (I'm not eligible): $500
    Military Rebate* (I'm not eligible): $500
    Net Cost: $17,889

So I guess if I decide to get one, I would pay 7.75% tax and roughly $250 doc/lic? ~$20,605 OTD? What kind of "dealer prep" are there?
    I believe that extra $250 got them back to break even. Still, you got an awesome deal based on my information and experience. Enjoy it.
    Dealer prep is basically another term for profit. I would only pay for legitimate fees like tax, tags, etc. Most dealers charge a small fee for the licensing/registration paperwork ($25-50), so I would say that $250 is the max you should pay all fees (not including sales tax). Maybe even a little less. That said, the car price of $18,889 is a very good price, so as long as they don't try to jack up some fees, you have a good deal.
  • hum6l3hum6l3 Member Posts: 2
    im in the market to buy a new mazda3i grand touring hatchback and would love to know what everyone else is paying for this vehicle in the california region.

i have some add on accessories so i know its going to be a little different but any info will help my decision. thank you in advance.

mazda3i grand touring hatchback with the tech packages
    accessories include:

fog lights
    lighting kit
    all weather floor mats
    bumper guard.

edmund msrp = 26330
    invoice = 24928
    true market value = 25580

truecar.com msrp = 26055
    invoice = 25055
    market ave = 24835
    dealer cost = 24458

the lowest internet quote i got = 24200.
    seems like a killer deal right? or you guys think i can do better?
    all these prices are before tax and other fees of course.
    tell me what you think. =)
    If you are $800 under invoice, then I believe it is a good deal. For a Mazda 3 with Skyactiv engine (meaning no additional incentives), anything more than $600 under invoice would be very good in my opinion.
  • hum6l3hum6l3 Member Posts: 2
    where did you get the msrp of $25095?

the msrp on the official mazda website is $22900

did you have some added options and didnt mention?
  • r_willisr_willis Member Posts: 2
    My 2012 MAZDA3 i Touring 4-Door MSRP $ 19,550
    Destination Fee $ 795
    155-hp 2.0L DOHC 16-valve inline 4-cylinder Standard
    Front-Wheel Drive Standard
    6-Speed Auto Standard
    Exterior: GRAPHITE MC
    Interior: BLACK CLOTH
    Packages and Options
    MOONROOF AND BOSE® PACKAGE $1,400
    Total MSRP: $21,745

What do you think a fair price would be? I don't qualify for any of the loyality offers or anything. Won't be trading in any car either.

Do they have any special rates going for 48 or 60 months? (instead of the .9%/36)

Located in Cincinnati, OH.

Thank you VERY much.
    They were offering 1.9% for 48/60-months thru 5/31 and will likely renew it.

Invoice on the car you're looking at is about $20,700 and it looks like $21,000 or $21,100 is going to be bottom dollar. The only exception would be if Mazda announces any sort of cash-to-dealer incentive, but don't hold your breath.

Mazda3 sales are currently up 26% over the same time last year! The SKYACTIV models are a big hit and don't need much discounting to sell....but still a great deal!
    I'm pretty sure you can get it for right around 20,300. The car you are looking at is exactly the same as the one I bought last month expect you are adding the moonroof/Bose package. I paid $18,900 plus tax and tags. The moonroof adds $1204 to invoice ($1400 msrp), so you should be between 20,104 and 23,000 to get the same deal I got. Like you, i qualified for no rebates just the special financing. Good luck.
  • r_willisr_willis Member Posts: 2
    Ok, well after some haggling:

2012 Mazda3 i Touring
    6-Speed Auto Standard
    Exterior: GRAPHITE MC
    Interior: BLACK CLOTH
    MOONROOF AND BOSE® PACKAGE $1,400
    Base MSRP: $19,550
    Total MSRP: $21,745

Their internet ad said $20,140 (for one in white) optioned exactly right. Got there and they had a $399 (VIN etch) and a $14xx (scotchguard/blah,blah)
    that wasn't shown or included.

After all the negotiations, we came to $19,995 (includes doc fees/etc) + tax and tags and title with all the options and their add-ons, plus in the color we wanted (graphite MC) as it had just arrived yester day or today.
    And 1.9% financing over 60mos.

Seems worth pulling the trigger, no?
    WELL DONE!!! I say go for it!

BTW, be sure to tell you insurance company that it has the VIN etching. Most offer a discount (up to 5% off the comp/collision premiums) for that feature!
    Yes. $19,950 plus tax and tags is great. I hate that most dealers try to add on a bunch of BS costs that have virtually no cost to them. enjoy.
    It says in my post that I got the Tech Package, which brings the MSRP to $25,095 with destination charge.
  • robyn25robyn25 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Hi, I was hoping to get some advice... We are ready to buy the Mazda3 hatchback itouring
    no additional options, in graphite mica, 6 speed automatic.
    and we aren't sure what we should be asking for. I've looked up what Yahoo auto ($19297), Autotrader ($19300) and Truecar.com ($19049) listed for prices people are buying for in my area.

If I am reading Edmunds right, the invoice is $19274. I have a car broker that my bank offers and he is telling me that the best price for this car that he could get me is $20568.00 ($22500 after taxes and such) and I won't be able to get it for any less (I live in southern CA). Is $20568 a good deal? He is telling me that there is no way I can get this car closer to the invoice price.

Thanks so much in advance!

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Bad price. You should be able to do much better on your own. $1300 over invoice is way too high for that car. If you called thee dealers and offered to buy at invoice to the first one to say yes, you would have them jump on that offer.
  • robyn25robyn25 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    Thanks bill1000, we did end up going directly to the dealer and they were able to give us a much better deal. We got 21900 out the door for the hatchback, which I think is close to invoice.
  • youngandyyoungandy Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, My apologies in advance.
    I am planning to buy a "mazda3 S sedan-4D". Buying it from a private seller. But he is asking KBB excellent price. The car has two problems according to him 1) Need to change all the tyres. 2) Engine mount need to be changed. Apart from these car is in a very good condition.
    1) Want to know how frequent is this problem(mount change) in Mazda 3?
    2) I am thinking of offering him a KBB Good price if i have to take care of these things. So is this price fine or if he negotiates, i should pay him a price b/w Good and Very Good and buy the Car?
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Suggestion: Make the offer conditional on an inspection by a mechanic. Otherwise, you are buying based on the seller's reputation, which I assume you don't know. If the mechanic does not find any problems with the vehicle you can pay whatever you think is a fair price. If the mechanic finds problems, ask him what it would take to repair them and subtract that from the selling price.
  • b0gphmb0gphm Member Posts: 1
    Planning to buy this car by the end of this month. I live in Seattle. When I look at truecar.com($20,908) and kbb value($19,875, approx. 1k less than invoice), I see a huge difference. How should I choose the initial negotiation price? When 2013 models are expected to this market?
  • zoomzoomdollarzoomzoomdollar Member Posts: 1
    Hello, in the process of negotiating with the dealer for a basic trim 3 hatch with manual trans. Sadly its been a few years since my last mazda so i dont qualify for the loyalty discount. Currently vehicle price is $18,600 with an OTD price of $20,000 even. I do qualify for the ford family member discount (a plan i think) so I would imagine i should be able to get them lower. any idea of what a good price would be before TTL? currently in MI@ 6% sales tax
  • jhunterkjhunterk Member Posts: 7
    We just bought a Mazda3 HB iTouring AT for $18300 with an OTD price of $20110. Given your is a MT, I guess you still have some space to negotiate.
    We are in Northern California.
  • f_cortinasf_cortinas Member Posts: 1
    Good afternoon everyone.

Just got into a lease for a Mazda3 i Touring and want to know if I got a good deal.

Traded in a 2007 Saturn Aura XR 104k miles on it. Good condition. Owed $5.7k on it and got them to pay it off and give an additional $500 down towards the lease.

I was able to get the Military discount ($500) and I feel that they weaseled me into putting an additional $1k down. But my payments after taxes are $277.

I live in S. Florida and any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!