Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• usvet92usvet92 Member Posts: 19
    Hi There,
    I live in Maine so it's quite a distance for you, but I'm almost sure my guys at the Toyota place here could get your truck. Then would be the big decision as to how you would get it..fly over and drive back to WI or ?. I'd be more than happy to call my guys and see if they could get what you're looking for....just let me know.

Do you live anywhere near Rice Lake? My son has a friend there and we're taking a road trip to go visit his friend this summer...of course we're taking our new Tundra..I'm sure it'll make a great road trip vehicle!
  • finallyat150finallyat150 Member Posts: 105
    uhhh....I am a "waiter", and spyder has given me more help and good advice than most anybody on this forum. He is not a "hater".
  • dssnuffydssnuffy Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the corrections. Good luck on the wait finallyat150. Sorry spyder.

That's why I buy the program. To know the players. Corrected list:

Owners: ">
    1. doggboys
    2. dmorrell
    3. usvet92
    4. a47chuck
    5. bugchucker
    6. conwaychevy

Waiters:
    1. joe140
    2. cbuellgo
    3. abrascal'08
    4. ltdan2
    5. finallyat150

Haters:
    maple2
    wildbill

Good advice giver and defender of Tundra:
    kdhspyder
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    what about the good doc? (drfill) ;)
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Is always watching. Kinda like my Uncle, Spyware Doctor (Or Dr. Spyware). Or Mariano Rivera. You can count on me. ;)

Let's all hold hands.......

DrFill
  • ltdan2ltdan2 Member Posts: 17
    i don't know how this will workout for the 5.7, but the TRD research guy came to the plant at commerce ga back in 01 & advised not to go that route on my 00 tundra because of high engine presure, the way i use a truck, towing,& hauling reg. overloaded & pushed to the limit. just something to think about? high presure= more heat
  • grd398sgrd398s Member Posts: 15
    I test drove a CM this weekend and loved nearly everything about it...but the one thing I didn't like is a deal-breaker for me. I didn't realize that the rear seats don't fold up (like on the DC). I realize that this is the first truck ever to have sliding/reclining rear seats (and that's nice)...but why didn't they make them fold up too? There would be so much floor space available if you could fold the seats up. I need the 60% back seat for my kids, but I need the 40% seat to fold up so I can use that floor space for my big dog. At a minimum, I wish the fold up seats were an option. How it stands, it just won't work for me. I guess I have to wait for the new Sequoia to get the great Tundra look, but also get the floor and seat space I need. It's a bummer...I was ready to buy this weekend. If I'm missing something on this, please let me know (my sales guy was less than helpful).
    I'm over 6', and can fit safely in the back of a DC.

Can a dog make it? :confuse:

DrFill
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    I'm on the watchers list as well. My ideal truck would be a "sporty" single cab/short box with the 5.7 ... Can't seem to locate that combo here in MA (but looking)
    Switch me over to the owners list! Just got a call from my dealer and my truck is safe and sound at my dealer is Stillwater, OK. They are installing my backup camera as I type.

It is a DC leather 5.7 SR5 TRD 4x4 with running boards, backup camera, cold kit, sealant pkg, underseat rear storage, auto dimming rearview mirror, xtra skid plate, tow mirrors, in blue streak.

He said it will be ready for me tomorrow after work.
  • joe140joe140 Member Posts: 22
    YOU ARE THE MAN!!! Thanks for keeping count. Seems like a very small group doesn't it?
    Thanks Usvet92, I would make the trip after April 20 if they have one and we could make the deal. I will be around this week before leaving on vacation. joe@toddsteven.com
  • grd398sgrd398s Member Posts: 15
    I like the overall look of the DC better than the CM. But the sunroof and full-power rear window are two CM feature I really love.

The space issue with the DC (and the CM) is the result of a 150 lb. dog plus two kids/car seats. Maybe I should give up and start looking into horse trailers!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Congratulations, :D It will be worth the short wait you've had.

Be cool :shades: and stay safe.
    My experience in these forums is that there are a relatively low number of posters and lots of lurkers.
  • cbuellgocbuellgo Member Posts: 12
    I am also Wanting the running boards for mine and would like to get a Part# if you have it. I tried from the dealer and was told over 700. per side no bolts no labor Included, Thats pretty steep for a 345. add on. I tried another dealer and they said about 550. That is closer but there is still a large margin, please let me know what you find looking.....
  • cbuellgocbuellgo Member Posts: 12
    Hooked it up Yesterday and went Fishing I tow a 5000lb# boat and was very happy with the pulling and the braking, the engine seamed to sing around 4000 rpm and had more to go. but it was the fastest the boat ever went up that hill. Will be checking into the receiver fit as mine is loose enough to clunk side to side in turns, at least that is what I am blaming it on for now.. Overall very good shake down.
    and thank you spyder! Your info and help was always top-notch.

BTW folks, FTI from special order date to delivery was 50-days. Not bad for a ramping up Tundra plant!

I did get a look at her this afternoon. A real beauty. Interesting sticker on back window that reads

"BUILT IN TEXAS BY TEXANS".
    Now if only I could tow mine :( :sick:
    Congratulations, and happy driving! :)

When you pick it up, please let us know what the guys at Toyota say about break-in for The Beast. How long is the leash? :surprise:

DrFill
  • greymangreyman Member Posts: 6
    I'm doing a channel check on how to post to the forum while posing a question:

Can one of you guys steer me to a website that lays out the packages available on the CM SR5 5.7? I'm a few months away from buying, but I want to start educating myself. I need the package lists because I want leather seats, but I don't need the LTD.

Thanks
  • wileetundrawileetundra Member Posts: 24
    I'm a fairly new 07 Tundra owner here and have been posting for about 6 weeks now starting right before I got my new truck.

This was the first forum that I found and some of the posts here did help me, but I have to say that this thread seems to be 70% or more "fluff": personal attacks, useless trivia, etc. instead of factual content. An additional disadvantage is the low number of threads in the Forums...Pickups...Toyota Tundra directory but some with a very high number of posts. I assume this is limited by the moderator or by the users but I find it less than helpful. When I need to find a post on a certain topic I prefer to browse threads on the topic, not search through a huge thread for random stray posts which might happen to mention the subject.

As a result I don't post here very often but I do monitor this thread for the occasional snippets of value. Maybe I am missing something and there is more on the forum than meets the eye. Oh well, back to the other forum for serious learning... And did I mention the cheesy icons here? :)
    1. The RC Tundra 5.7 is featured in a article pointing out "10 new models.......that show the world you have great taste, know what's cool, and love to drive."

How did it join such appealing legends as Mustang GT, Miata (MX-5), and Mini Cooper S? A price of $25,025, 10k towing, 6-speed tranny, and 0-60 in 5.9 seconds sounds like a winner.

2. My nomination for best headline in an advertisment in 2007 (Tundra):

"We engineered the quit out of it."

3. Future TRD supercharger should generate a 30% power gain (which would make approx 500HP)!

DrFill
    I'm sure if you need assistance, you've come to the right place. But you'll have to speak up, and if you, or this forum, need to go in a certain direction, help us get there.

How may we serve you? :)

DrFill
    Two main changes would help IMHO.

1 - Consistent and timely performance by the moderators. Stop the personal rants and attacks, delete the useless posts as soon as they start and you will keep the threads clean.

2 - More threads with posts that don't drift too far off topic. Moderators can enforce the creation of new threads when errant posts are submitted.

I would also suggest using a standard look and feel similar to other major forums that run the popular software such as tundrasolutions.com. I find this much more user friendly which makes more efficient use of my time.
    uh.......have you tried www.toyota.com?
    great wilee, but aren't YOUR last two posts "off topic" and "fluff"?

come on! we won't ever live in a perfect world. Just rifle through the posts, pick the threads and info you want, leave the rest.

Every now and again, we will get off topic (like now). Every now and agian there will be personal attacks and the moderator will step in, calm it down, clean it up, and we move on.

So,,,,,did you ever find out what the noise was on your new Tundra? I think it was a shifting noise? (into second gear only when cold, or something like that?.

and BTW, there is another Tundra forum at a site that is mentioned in a previous post. I like this forum and the other one, but will say, the other one has a large variety of icons AND you can post pics directly. Pretty cool.
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    I happen to like the format of Edmund's forums! It is very easy to find info since all you need to do is check on new posts on the threads that you've looked at. You don't have to search all the threads according to the date like on many other sites, but that is a preference not an absolute.

Back on topic here, for those that are ordering the Crew Max, have there been any order delays due to specific options? In other words, aside from color, have you found that say a Crew Max could be ordered sooner if it didn't have the Navigation system? I'm just trying to see if there are certain options/features that are intentionally coming down the line later...
    I tried toyota.com from several angles, and I hate to tell you this, but (for the SR5 CM) I can find only one option under "Interior Options" . . . the 8-way adjustable, etc. in cloth. I've seen the CM SR5 w/cloth, and I've been assured it comes with leather . . . I just haven't been able to find what the leather package includes.

Given the nature of most of what I read here -- and because I haven't bought or ordered a Tundra -- I may be looking for information in the wrong place.

Can someone give me a steer to a forum that leans a little more toward discussing the selection/pre-order process.

Many thanks. G
    "great wilee, but aren't YOUR last two posts "off topic" and "fluff"?"

Yes, I would consider my recent posts to be "off topic" for a thread titled "2007 Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports". This forum doesn't have a thread for "Forum Improvements" or whatever, and over 70% of the stuff in this thread is fluff or off topic, so my posts actually fit right in. This is exactly my point so we are in agreement, thank you for the confirmation.

Would new forum users expect to find a bunch of comments from non-2007-Tundra-Owners in this thread? I don't think so. Yet this is exactly what we have. No further debate needed - continue discussing whatever you want. I will continue to monitor and post occasionally, and use other forums for more detailed and efficient info.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Your problem with the way the various Edmunds forums are set up is a common one ALL ACROSS Edmunds (you might want to venture over into the "News & Views" Board and check out one of the threads devoted to "Forums Software".

You might also consider the fact that ANYONE can create whatever threads they wish - so, if you think there are narrower aspects of the new Tundra to be discussed, feel free to start a new thread(s).

Consider this however: on other forums (ie. TundraSolutions), they are DEVOTED to individual vehicles. As such, they will get individuals posting and lurking who are ONLY INTERESTED in those specific vehicles. Meaning LOTS of folks just interested in the Tundra and, by extension, lots of different ACTIVE threads going on.

However, Edmunds is much more general. There are LOTS of folks in here that are simply interested in cars (or trucks) and/or manufacturers in general. For this reason, the threads you'll see in here tend to be, by nature, much more general. I, for instance, am interested in lots of different cars and car related issues. But there is no way that I could ever HOPE to keep up with general car issues on 12 or 15 different on-line automotive communities, each devoted to specific vehicles. Which is why I'm HERE, since it IS more general.

You may have noticed that there are less than a dozen ACTUAL OWNER'S of the new Tundra posting in here. Nothing wrong with that. But if all of a sudden there were 15-20 DIFFERENT threads in here all devoted to different '07 Tundra minutia, you'd probably find one or two posts in each thread, following by long periods of crickets chirping.

In other words, if you want to open more specific threads for the new Tundra, go right ahead. But don't be disappointed if they don't see much traffic.
    From what I understand, the only way to get leather FROM THE FACTORY on the new Tundra is with the Limited.

However, various regions (for example GulfStates Toyota or Southeast Toyota) have their own region-specific packages which MIGHT include leather on the SR5 trim level. Also, the dealers themselves may have partnerships set up on the local level with local trim shops to install leather interiors on specific vehicles.

I don't know what you've been "assured" but, from the FACTORY, the only way to get leather is on the Limited, which is why on the general toyota.com website, you won't find leather on the SR5.
    Excellent points Rorr, and I totally agree. I am primarily interested in lots of detail on my specific vehicle, the 2007 Tundra, which is why this forum has limited value for me. I realized that new threads could be started but the trend on this forum is for fewer threads which are more general, thus I didn't want to start new threads for each topic only to see them become abandoned or filled up with fluff. I don't expect this forum to change one bit, I was just making an observation since some others in this thread had commented about the nature of the posts, number of actual owners, etc.
    Hey wilee, have you tried www.toyotatundraforum.com yet?

It is a great forum (as is this one) only a little different it that it has relatively few members, but a LOT of new Tundra info. It is set up a lot different, more like you seem to be discribing. check it out.

Lots of smilees and icons too, lol. and you can add pics straight to your post!
  • doggboysdoggboys Member Posts: 17
    Exactly on the region idea. I purchased the DC, 5.7, tow package, SR5 that came with the Texas Edition with Enkei wheels, leather, special badging, aluminum door sill protectors, running boards, and floor mat badging for $1990. Could care less about the badging and garbage but I was able to get the leather on a SR5. Check the dealers options. Good luck.
    A modestly successful month for 'Yota's Tundra. See for yourself:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2007040316856

Interestingly, Tacoma sales continue to rise, and could reach 200k this year, where Tundra wants to go.

April will really start CrewMax sales in earnest, so April will be a true test if the Tundra has all of the engines running. :blush:

Toyota will want 15k a month out of Tundra, and April could get there.

For the '08 model year, expect several changes on the RC Tundra, to get the price under $20k. ;)

DrFill
    rorr,

my SR5 TRD 4x4 is leather. I am in the Gulf State Region.
  • dssnuffydssnuffy Member Posts: 39
    Nine Owners, three waiting

Now that finallyat150 is finallyinaTundra (congratulations), here's the latest tally sheet.

Owners:
    1. doggboys
    2. dmorrell
    3. usvet92
    4. finallyat150
    5. a47chuck
    6. bugchucker
    7. conwaychevy
    8. wileetundra
    9. cbuellgo

Waiters:
    1. joe140
    2. abrascal'08
    3. ltdan2

I'll leave the other commentary off this time. Got to keep out of trouble.

Thanks for the input,

David "Snuffy" Smith
  • lagerman72lagerman72 Member Posts: 5
    New to posting here, but have been reading this for about 4 weeks now and since there is a count on owners I thought I'd better join in officially. I took delivery of my slate DC 5.7 middle of Feb and have 2040 miles on it now. I haven't towed anything yet, but have moved my entire house (many loads) with it, as I picked it up the week I closed on my new house. I'm not sure on the weight, but I had 188 sq yards or carpet in the back (2nd day of owning) and it was solid. Almost to the point of having to look in the mirror to ck on the load! Two days before I took the same amount of old carpet to a local dump in my 01' GMC longbed (30k miles) and there wasn't a comparison. I had a Gator Hyde liner sprayed in (bolts removed) and added the tie down rails after. There is plenty of room for both my boys in the back and even my wife would rather take it than her car when we go places. So far, mainly city driving, I haven't gotten over 14.2 mpg's avg, but to me it's worth it for the power fun factor!
  • lagerman72lagerman72 Member Posts: 5
    Sorry, I didn't say this, but my SR5 is leather and I'm in OK.
    Hey Snuffy - where are YOU on that list?

Owner? Waiter? Or just another interested party?
  • crazycanuck4crazycanuck4 Member Posts: 17
    I am also new to this forum. From Kingston, Ontario, Canada. Waiting to take possesion of my DC 5.7 TRD in pyrite. It's at the dealership waiting for me to move my 03 Tundra Access Limited. Have a buyer and should be riding it next friday. it took them 1 week to source the truck. If I ordered it tomorrow I would have to wait 2 months. Just got luck on the order. Love the old truck but, kids gettin to large to use the back seat without complaining. New truck is great, I have drove it several times, little stiffer ride than my 03 but still far exceeds my experience with contractor buddies GM's. They always joking and complaining of the smaller size of my 03 but always wanted me to drive, especailly when frost heave season is apon us. I get 24 canadian gallons to the mile (about 19 US). And have put 150,000 Km (80,000 miles) on 03, no complaints, only regular maintenace, again something my buddies hate to admit to. Really looking forward to the new truck. Lots of good remarks on this forum that's why I piped up. Anyone get a B Bak Flip cover? I really like the setup but not sure if it will work well with the rail system.
    drfill, as for the break-in on the new Tundra, here is what the owners manual says:

Break-in period

Drive gently and avoid high speeds.

Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But following a few simple tips for the first 1000 miles can add to the future economy and long live of your vehicle:

*Avoid full throttle acceleration when starting and driving.

*Avoid racing the engine.

*Try to avoid hard stops during the first 200 miles.

*Do not drive for a long time at any single speed, either fast or slow.

*Do not tow a trailer during the first 500 miles.
    Yep this is the same for all Toyota's except the Prius where the breakin period is only 600 mi.
  • ackboaterackboater Member Posts: 19
    I don't see my moniker on the list.
  • ackboaterackboater Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone figured out their fuel mileage other than looking at the digital readout on the dashboard? I have a DC 4.7 TRD and I'm only getting 12-13 mpg according to the dashboard thingie. All my driving is done in the city so I guess 12-13 sounds about right.
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    5.7 DC 4x4 with TRD dual exhaust. Manual calculations have matched the dash readout EXACTLY.

Once the pump shuts off, takes an additonal 3.3 gallons to fill to the brim for accurate computations. Thus the truck actually holds about 30 gallons, which gives great range. When the low fuel light comes on, there are still 3.1 gallons left in the tank.

I've only had my truck 5 days and 650 miles, but here are my initial readings:

Uphill in the mountains, 80 miles, 4,000 foot elevation change: 13.6 mpg. Best highway so far, cruising at 73: 19.2 mpg. Mixed city/highway 15.6 mpg.

I'm going to the 4x4 rally in Moab this week and hope to get some 4x4 mpg readings, along with a lot of highway miles as I live about 8 hours from Moab.
  • grberetgrberet Member Posts: 3
    I totally agree with your data on the fuel tank capacity. Mine showed empty yesterday with only "9" miles to go on the calculator. I filled it up completely and it also took 3.1 gallons less than the stated 26 gallon capacity.

I have had mine since Feb 22 and am averaging 16.1 :) city/hwy. I am completly satisfied with every thing except the lack of steps which I soon will remedy. It is high truck compared to my old 2005 Tundra stepside I traded in.

Performance is awesome. Warning: DO NOT stomp on the gas pedal when idling about 20-25 mph. It will definitely come to life and let you know what is under the hood. All 381 hp come to life!

Awesome truck! We area Totota family. Wife has '06 Avalon, daughter '05 Camry, and son bought his onw '06 Rav4.

I expect and predict that next year;s Truck of the year from Motor Trend will be the Tundra!

Terry in Tupelo, Mississippi :shades:
  • bigkenbigken Member Posts: 7
    I ordered a new DC 07 Tundra 04/02/2007. I am promised delivery by end of May.
    SR5 ,double cab, 6 disk changer, back up monitor,
    TRD Dual exhaust, 5.7 engine,4X4, Slate w gray interor
    remote start, assorted goodies