Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• joe140joe140 Member Posts: 22
    Good luck with that delivery date! I ordered Feb 25 and promised 2-3 weeks, then it was April first, then end of April, then Mid May, then end of May and now middle of June!!!!! All this from the largest Toyota dealer in the midwest. So I don't think it's the dealer here, but some hair brained (could that be a she?)(not sexist please, but I think that is really who is making that decision) person at Toyota that is deciding to make stock units for dealers rather than fill a sold order.
  • dssnuffydssnuffy Member Posts: 39
    Eleven Owners, five waiting

Congratulations lagerman. That was a great comparison to your GMC.

I am lucky enough to be a driver this weekend, but I won't be an owner until late this year, so I am not yet a waiter either.

Got to test one out last weekend on a prove it course. It was towing 10,500 pounds of trailer plus barbell weights. Handled like a dream on the course lots of torque at a wide range of RPM. Didn't go highway driving with it, but I have heard enough accounts to know it would do well.

Owners:
    1. doggboys
    2. dmorrell
    3. usvet92
    4. finallyat150
    5. a47chuck
    6. bugchucker
    7. conwaychevy
    8. wileetundra
    9. cbuellgo
    10. lagerman72
    11. ackboater

Waiters:
    1. joe140
    2. abrascal'08
    3. ltdan2
    4. crazycanuck4
    5. bigken

Thanks,

Snuffy
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I own an '07 Tundra put my name there. I have an SR5 Double Cab 5.7 L.
  • finallyat150finallyat150 Member Posts: 105
    I have only had the beast for a few days now. I have 200 miles on it is all.

A very fine truck. Why would anyone even consider any other brand? I am very glad I finally stepped out of the Chevy box.

My first half of tank of gas was all city driving and I got 15 mpg. Gotta admit though, I was "testin" her out here and there, so that ate some petro. Plus, I bedded in my brake which I am sure uses lots of gas with all the stopping and going involved with that process.

What I don't like about the truck (but will enjoy living with)?

1) SR5 does not have daytime running lights. That is not a problem, but if I turn my parking lights on during the day time, the readout on the dash (time, outside temp, mpg, etc.) gets pretty dim and difficult to read.

2) Don't like the emergency brake setup. You have to "push" to set AND "push" to release. Seems odd to me. The dang thing should just releas when you put the truck in drive. I'll get used to it though.

Other than that, this is a fine vehicle that is sure to become extremely popular.

I tell you one thing for sure, the 5.7 is very very strong, period. And the 6 speed tranny is smooth as a bone.
  • doggboysdoggboys Member Posts: 17
    I agree with the daytime running light dis-like. I am sure there will be some aftermarket cure for this problem, at least I hope there will be. Also, it doesn't appear that many of the tundras have fog lamps, big holes to fill but no lights. Again, aftermarket. I do agree with being an awesome driving truck though...
    I do have the fog lights. I believe the fog lights are part of the TRD package.

uh....did I mention that this is one bad [non-permissible content removed] truck, lol.
  • scfarmerjackscfarmerjack Member Posts: 3
    Hey, I have seen a few wheel vibration stories on here. I had my brakes replaced a few months ago, and progressively had more and more vibration, accompanied by more and more noise from said vibration. It is annoying at any speed 0-85 MPH and is TERRIBLE at higher speeds, and more specifically around corners/turns.
    I would think it is wheel bearings, but I get no shake from the disc with the tire off. I am at a loss. I took it back to the mechanic in S.C. who did the work, and he told me he found out that the front tires should be lower in pressure than the stated pressure from the tire manufacturer. He was giving me the slip because he knew I was leaving to head back to Canada. Told me that it would 'wear out' after a couple hundred miles. I knew better, but didn't have time for an exhibition.
    Anyhow, I know this isn't really the purpose of this thread, but I can't really find a thread dedicated to it. I will start a new one, but I hoped maybe you would know something.
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    Mpg update: swapped stock BFG 275/65-18 Rugged Trails for BFG 305/65-18 A/T's; increased rolling resistance has dropped mpg about .5 mpg after correcting for the difference in tire size. I used my gps to confirm the actual miles driven vs. what the odometer now incorrectly shows.

After making all the corrections, I had two off-road tanks in Moab: one was 13.7, the other 17. Highway cruising was a bit disappointing, as 70 mph only yielded just over 16mpg. The stock tires would have been closer to 17.

Besides upgrading the tires, I installed the RevTek spacer lift. I haven't crawled underneath to measure it yet, but I suspect the ground clearance is around 13." Overall performance in Moab was great, but I didn't think there was enough ground clearance to try Potato Salad Hill without risking damaging the bottom.

Power for passing at 70mph is truly amazing. 5.7 engine is a winner.
    "Power for passing at 70mph is truly amazing. 5.7 engine is a winner."

Agreed! Punch that pedal to the floor at 70 and you will feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllll the power. I mean, that 5.7 passing gear will kick in and you'll think, "wow, that was powerfull,,,,,then,,,,,,,the horses start comin in, and I mean it is like the motor gets MORE powerfull as the rpm's climb. Incredible feeling for sure. :shades:

Try it, you'll like!
  • tundranuttundranut Member Posts: 2
    "... swapped stock BFG 275/65-18 Rugged Trails for BFG 305/65-18 A/T's ... I installed the RevTek spacer lift."

Sure would like to see pictures of your modified rig with this combonation.
    I'll try to figure out how to upload a picture. It looks amazingly stock. Only when parked next to another vehicle, truck, or stock 07 Tundra do you realize how much higher it is. I'm 6-1 and it is a bit of a climb into the driver's seat now. Would need even more of a lift for real hard-core off-roading, but the combo of the 2.5" Revtek plus 1.5" taller tires performed very well in Moab.

One word of caution: with the stock wheels plus the Revtek spacer lift, 305/65-18's will rub the front center air dam when turned to full lock. It's pot-metal and only took a minute to bend the offending edge about 1/4" with a crescent wrench to eliminate the rubbing. I do not know how much interference there would have been without the lift, but I suspect it would have been a little worse.

The lift is defintely the most bang for the buck to increase ride height and ground clearance. The tires were expensive, but the stock tires looked dinky after the lift. Plus, my last truck (05 Frontier) had Rugged Trails from the factory; after three blowouts (two off-road and one on the highway), I dumped them for more durable Yokohamas. The only tire I could find in a 305/65-18 was the BFG A/T, so that's what I have on the Tundra.

FYI I test-fitted a 325/65-18, but it rubbed the upper suspension arm on the front end. Plenty of clearance in the wheel well, but it would take offset rims to clear the suspension. I don't like tires that stick out beyond the sides, so I'll be staying with the stock TRD wheels and 305/65-18's.
  • electron2002electron2002 Member Posts: 4
    "Once the pump shuts off, takes an additonal 3.3 gallons to fill to the brim for accurate computations. Thus the truck actually holds about 30 gallons, which gives great range. When the low fuel light comes on, there are still 3.1 gallons left in the tank."

Word to the wise, you should never fill a vehicle "to the brim" The evaporative emissions system uses a charcoal canister to absorb the vapors that form off the fuel. When you overfill the tank beyond the point where the pump shuts off you run the high risk of flooding the charcoal canister with strait fuel. Its obviously damaging to the emissions system but it hurts fuel economy as well.
  • mfhallmfhall Member Posts: 22
    SE offers this. Any comments on Borla vs the other DEs?
  • mfhallmfhall Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for that tip.
    hey danielacosta. Go to www.toyotatundraforum.com

sign in at that forum and you can easily post pics of your tundra right on the thread you are in. very easy, many ways to post a pic there. the tundra owners on that forum would be very glad to have you participate.

there are lots of pics of new tundras on that forum, and many many usefull tips (not that there is anything wrong with this forum). But they are all different. I post on both.
  • neff2kneff2k Member Posts: 5
    Add another waiter to the list. Ordered mine on the 9th.
    FYI, Husky Liner has all weather floor mats for the new Tundra. I have some and they are a perfect fit (molded to driver left foot rest, etc.). Very nice and will hold water/mud etc. I bought the set (front and rear) for the DC for $130 delivered from autoeverything.com

Ordered them via internet Easter Sunday and they were at my door after work on Tuesday.
  • wileetundrawileetundra Member Posts: 24
    No such website. You mean autoanything.com right?
  • neff2kneff2k Member Posts: 5
    Ordered the husky liners from http://www.autoanything.com this week. Those guys are FAST! Placed order about 10:00am, had an e-mail letting me know they were shipped a couple hours later. And it was on my doorstep two days after that. Now if I could just get my truck to put these things in :)
    lol, yeah sorry guys.

autoanything.com

that's the second time i've called it autoeverything.

I see I am not the only one who has them from autoanything

they are fast, and husky liners are good. Looks like you could spill a 32 ounce drink in them and none would excape the mat.

they will be great for hunting and getting back to truck with muddy boots. take em out, spray em clean. interior carpet should be new for a long time.

BTW wilee. got my bed sprayed by linex. very nice huh?
  • cbuellgocbuellgo Member Posts: 12
    I Ordered Weather tech floor liners From Cabela's over five weeks ago, still haven't received the rear ones! but the fronts showed up fit and look very nice; I use my truck as a Camper and Sleep in the back, Just finished Building a true Bed slider That is 10" tall (frame with a Slider under it) put the Queen size Colman air mattress on top. I have found both directions are bigger inside the trucks bed, very helpful for a guy thats 6'5" and likes to sleep very close to his boat...
  • crazycanuck4crazycanuck4 Member Posts: 17
    You can take me off the waiting list and place me on the have it list. Took delivery Friday, DC TRD 5.7 in Pyrite. After driving it all weekend it is an incredible beast. Tried it in off road conditions as well, very nice, mud everywhere. I had 2 guys stop me in parking lots with a ton of questions. hard to get anything done. happy to answer their questions they were both off to the dealer for a test drive and possibly purchase. I'm off to order side bars. I am 6' and really could use the steps. My 5' daughter needs a running jump. I think side bars should be considered standard equip. with all models. :shades:
  • ltdan2ltdan2 Member Posts: 17
    just got back from management weekend in daytona with wife new products director said there were going to be alot of things coming out inthe next couple of months, they had a custom painter come from up north to do a few veh. for a up coming show ,i hope to get some of the upgrates for my truck as a test veh for the intallers
  • xtacomanxtacoman Member Posts: 1
    Hey all.
    It is not necessary to top off your tank to do the manual calcs for MPG. all you need to do is reset you trip odometer when you fill up and run it till you need to fill again, fill it up and on the recipt from the pump it states how many gallons it took to fill. Divide the miles on the trip odo by the gallons you just put in. That will give exact MPG.

Also Put me on the list for waiters. I am supposed to be getting mine sometime in the next week. Its a DC SR5 TRD in bright red with black int. I cant wait...

Has anyone out there had the factory exhaust for a while and then changed to the TRD Dual exhaust? I just want to know if it is worth the money or not.

Thanks. :)
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Hey, do they offer a hard tonneau cover from the dealer?

DrFill
  • pdavidopdavido Member Posts: 1
    Purchased one on March 10th. DC 4x4 TRD slate gray bucket seats cold package tow package on and on etc. Traded an 05 Tundra Reg. cab. WOW what a difference. This baby rocks with the 5.7 Happy owner
  • thundertruckthundertruck Member Posts: 5
    You can put me on the waiting list. I ordered my Pyrite Mica DC 4x4 Ltd (includes TRD, nav, remote start, etc) on 13 Apr. The dealer said it is scheduled to be built 7 May and should have it by the end of May. I plan to have the dealer install the TRD dual exhaust and Line-X. We'll see when I actually receive it. :)
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    What's the main problem with getting something from dealer stock?

You'll probably get a better deal, and get the to take advantage of the incentives.

DrFill
  • tundranuttundranut Member Posts: 2
    How about we talk about the 07 Tundra? Nobody's here to read what you think about each other.
  • edge45edge45 Member Posts: 6
    Hello every one,
    I picked up my new tundra last week, with double cab, 5.7L. Its all great and seems to be a great improvement over my old '02. However, the truck shakes very bad whenever I drive over 60, on those cement california freeways, (and we have lots of these out here).
    The dealer re-balanced the wheels, changes the tire pressure, and its still the same. I am not sure what to do, and I can not afford a "tire replacement" as some one suggested. I would appreciate any feed back on this..
    have a great day.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    try another dealer and have them do what i have seen descibed as a road force balance
    also are the tires and wheels factory? some dealars will add 20 or 22 inch and they are harder to balance correctly
  • edge45edge45 Member Posts: 6
    dreasdad, thank you for your suggestion. I am going in few minutes to another dealer. Also, I do have a 20" on it as a factory option. I am planning to mention the road force balance as well. Appreciate it.. hope it works, as I really like this truck.
    got truck today!!! GA.bulldog red [radiant red] longbeb,5.7 tow pag.,deck rails,4x4,jbl 10 spk. tow mirrows ,sliding backglass,flares&sta.steel steps,skid plate,remote start,backup camera, lthr.seats with heaters,tool box all weather mats,& some other small opp. this is 1 bab a-- truck !! will be installing gooseneck hitch this weekend, wife going to take it to plant monday for glass etch& under coat . took it up on the bypass this afternoon , no traffic a deputy friend & i got up 100 plus "smooth" sweet ride!!
    Is it smooth over 60 on blacktop roads? If it is, then you will just have to live with it on the concrete freeways in So Cal. It's a combination of the wheelbase, suspension, and ripples in the concrete. My 01 Silverado Z71 had the same problem. My 05 Nissan Frontier did not.
    I am visiting CA this weekend with my 07 Tundra DC 5.7 TRD 4x4, so it will be interesting to see how it does. I'll try to make a post here next week to let you know how mine does.
    Good luck with yours.
  • dssnuffydssnuffy Member Posts: 39
    17 Owners, 6 waiting

Wow! Lot's of new comers this week. Sorry for dropping off the board for 11 days.

Here is the latest roll call list:

Owners:
    1. doggboys
    2. dmorrell
    3. usvet92
    4. finallyat150
    5. a47chuck
    6. bugchucker
    7. conwaychevy
    8. wileetundra
    9. cbuellgo
    10. lagerman72
    11. ackboater
    12. iqbaldhillon2
    13. danielacosta
    14. crazycanuck4
    15. pdavido
    16. edge45
    17. ltdan2

Waiters:
    1. joe140
    2. abrascal'08
    3. bigken
    4. neff2k
    5. xtacoman.
    6. thundertruck

Any word from joe140 or abrascal on when your trucks may come in? You all are oldest on the waiting list.

Thanks,

Snuffy
  • joe140joe140 Member Posts: 22
    Second week of June was the last I heard. Now it's a problem with getting Nav systems?
  • prelecprelec Member Posts: 15
    I picked up my new DC, 5.7, buckets, TRD offroad, silver sky last night. I like it alot. I do notice, however that on the concrete freeways with seams it is a little bouncy. I checked the tires, they are inflated correctly. Anybody else experience this? It's a great truck, but maybe I shouldn't have gotten the trd? Is there much difference between the std & the trd?
    i have a DC 5.7 TRD 4x4, live in Oklahoma and have absolutely no probs with vibration on any kind of roads at any speeds.

either you have some problem with your truck, or it's the road. I would get the truck checked for sure. can't believe it's the road. But who knows, I have never driven in CA.

good luck
    hey prelec. I drove the standard tundra and the TRD before I chose the TRD. That is of course what i have is the TRD 4x4. The TRD does have a stiffer ride than the standard. If you want a smooth riding truck, the standard is the way to go (soft shocks and 20 inch tires). I personally like to "feel" the road in my "truck". Hence I went with the TRD with the 18 inch tires.
  • 07tundra07tundra Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I bought a new tundra 5.7L 4x4 double cab last week and I think I might have a faulty fuel gauge because it seems to be coming down way too fast. At first I thought that my on board computer was wrong and I was maybe getting 10mpg when it was stating that I was getting 15.2mpg so I tested it by filling up my tank after driving 120 miles and I only put little over 8 gallons in it. Just at few days ago having driven about 150 miles the fuel gauge was down to half tank, but if I am getting 15-16mpg and have a 26.4g tank that means I have a range of about 400 miles. I now have 200 miles on this tank and the gauge is showing that I have about 1/3 left of gas when I know that I have at least 13 gallons left having tested the onboard computer last week and it was 100% correct. The onboard computer is showing exact mpg but the range left on the tank is wrong because its showing a lot less miles than I actually have left. I traded a 05' tundra in and never had that issue with fuel gauge. I will probably have the dealership look at it this week, but any info or input from other 07' tundra owners would be great.
  • a47chucka47chuck Member Posts: 15
    I believe that the fuel gauge is a bit pessimistic. I've gotten to the E on the gauge a few times and have only put in a little over 20 gallons. Last fill up was 20.4 gal and went 347 mi., about 17 MPG. Computer says ..... 16.1. There has been discussion on another forum about being able to get another 3 gal. or so in after the auto shut off of the pump. We can't pump our own gas in OR. so I can't verify this.
    i have an SR5 4x4 TRD DC 5.7 and have had no fuel gauge probs (i am only at about 900 miles on the truck). But, there was mention many many posts ago about "faulty fuel gauges" in the new tundra. In fact, some decided not to get a tundra because of this possible issue (lol). Sounds like you are on top of it 07tundra. Just continue to watch and if you have a faulty fuel gauge, just get it replaced under the warranty.

I have my eye on mine, and like I said, no probs yet.
    wow chuck, can't pump your own gas? that's wierd.

btw, it's me, wildbiologist. see you on the other forum too, lol.
  • a47chucka47chuck Member Posts: 15
    Yep! That's Or-eee-gon for ya. They will let me pump my own gas in my '65 Vette and the Harley, though. Guess they don't wanna pay for any new paint jobs. LOL! Hi Wild!
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    New Jersey is the same way ! It is illegal to pump
    yer own !
    installed hitch yesterday not to bad, about 3 hr. total. loaded 48 tc ford tractor& round baler on 25 ft flatbed & pulled about 20 miles did as good as 75-f350. i know that your'e not sup. to tow this early, but needed to get ready to bail hay this week.good lowend pulling power,stable @ speed
  • birdog1birdog1 Member Posts: 5
    Did you install a goose neck hitch? I should be recieving my truck in 2 weeks and I was wondering about a hide a hitch
    got the long bed.
    I thought Ya'll were in a drought this year. thank God our 3 year drought got broke.
  • usvet92usvet92 Member Posts: 19
    I've put about 3500 miles on my beast thus far and all is well. One of the gut feelings I'm beginning to have though is that the transmission shifts way too much. It kinda feels like it's searching for the correct gear constantly. It could be my imagination though...has anyone else noticed this? I have the 5.7 access cab.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    When you have 6 gears, it's going to be shifting a lot. Sounds normal to me.

Bob