Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• wolfkillrwolfkillr Member Posts: 8
    I just called this number, and toyota said they are not giving a $750.00 re-bate or have any knowledge of this promotion!! What gives...
  • beltboybeltboy Member Posts: 9
    Not sure what you said to them, all I can tell you is what i was told. Did they pull up your toyota purchase history? I received my letter in the mail on Sat. I will quote what it says:
    "Thisletter is in response to your request for Toyoats goodwill offer in writing. In the interest of maintaining your patronage as a Toyot customer, we are willing to extend a $750 gift towards your next new Toyota lease or new purchase, including Certified used vehicle from an authorized Toyota franchised dealership. This is separate from negotiations with the dealership, and would be processed as a retroactive reimbursement upon receipt within our offices of documentation of the transaction. We will maintainthis offer for 12 months from the date of this letter. Please fax copy of ill of sale to 310-974-5957 for 6-8 processing. It is documented under case #XXXXX. Again, we appreciate your business."

This letter is addressed from Toyota Motor Sales, USA Inc. in Torrance, CA. Maybe I just said the right things and you didn't, but I would keep trying if I were you. If I remember the first time I called, I simply told them a neighbor of mine said he received a loyalty discount from Toyota corporate, I wanted to know if I could get one too. They asked my name, pulled up my previous vehicles (4) and said pretty much what the letter says.

I can't give you all any more info then this. Good luck.
  • wolfkillrwolfkillr Member Posts: 8
    Thankyou, i will try again and keep you posted..
  • gobblermangobblerman Member Posts: 10
    Gave the loyalty money two good tries. Got a different answer each time. I was told loyalty money is for those who have had problems and they are trying to win back trust. I informed them that I have had issues mainly with dealers and not their product. I got nowhere. It wrong that the person you talk to determines if you receive this incentive.
  • billmanwehbillmanweh Member Posts: 6
    so it's not a "check", it's a discount off of the next Toyota you buy? and even then, no one at Toyota actually knows what you're talking about when you call? nice deal, thanks for the tip.

:)
  • kosh1931kosh1931 Member Posts: 4
    I really don't know if the average miles per gallon several people report are true or not since I get about 12.5 locally and 15 + highway on the 4.7 SR5 Dble Cab 4x4.
    This is driving very moderately so I can't buy the 20+ mileage some report. I now have about 1850 miles on my truck and the best mileage was 15.3. Am I just unlucky or what?
  • doggboysdoggboys Member Posts: 17
    I can say with the 5.7, tow package, DC, I get an honest 17 mixed driving and 18-19 hwy. Although it really matters how hard you push the gas. I had a '04 4Runner with the 4.7 and it got 16 on the hwy.
  • usvet92usvet92 Member Posts: 19
    you're right on....the 20+ claims are crap. I'm getting about what you get with the 5.7 If someone is looking for a "fuel efficient" 4x4 then I would not recommend the tundra. Of course all of the other benefits of owning this beast makes up for it's thirstyness!
  • vincekellervincekeller Member Posts: 28
    Agree with you 100%. I have owned 3 Tundras and 1 4Runner, and I have never got over 20mpg; even when I drove like an old women to prove the point of some of the
    20+ MPG claims on this forum. One guy claimed he got 26mpg, and I just read another guy claimed 31mpg.

I am getting around 17-18 with my new 4-weeks old Tundra.
  • tickinspectortickinspector Member Posts: 21
    My Tundra Crewmax Limited has about 1200 miles on it. I've averaged between 16.8 & 18.2 so far. Very pleased with that gas mileage for a 5.7L. My O5 Chevy I traded only got about 16.5. Regardless of the gas mileage the Tundra is a beast and fun to drive.
  • yota4trukyota4truk Member Posts: 34
    has all the "bed bouncing" gone away??? Toyota is kind of "Quiet" about it>>>>
  • mfhallmfhall Member Posts: 22
    I had about 2800 miles on my DC 4x4 and although the computer showed 14.2 MPG, I actually was getting around 15 (90% city driving). I just finished a round trip of 1700 miles and it now shows 15.2 MPG (I was getting 16-17+ MPG highway.)
  • olerascalolerascal Member Posts: 13
    I understand the auto LS uses the ABS/traction control to apply brake to the slipping wheel which then transfers the torque to the non slipping wheel. Does it work on the front Diff. too in 4WD or only rear? That would be great if it does. Just curious? :confuse:
  • urtundraexperturtundraexpert Member Posts: 20
    Traction control which is a feature of vsc and help prevent slippage of the driving wheels to maintain an optimal driving force according to the road surface conditions. Thw sophisticated Toyota system utilizes both brake and engine throttle control. The 4x4 Tundra is equipped with 4-wheel Traction Control (also known as Active-Trac or A-Trac, seen as a option too on Toyotas FJ Cruiser). It operates only in 4-wheel drive and distributes torque among the vehicles 4 wheels. Two-wheel-drive models and 4x4s operating in 2wd use 2-wheel traction control. Further, Auot-LSD is a stanard feature on every Tundra, is not officially a part of the Star Saftey system but it works in conjuction with the system to enhance rear-wheel traction...but only when the vehicle is in two-wheel drive. Hope I helped answer your question.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Good explanation. Now I'll throw you a curve. If you are a member of Toyota Corporate or one of the Truck Champions from the dealer side....where is A-Trac noted or explained or discussed in the Owners Manual or in anything from Toyota?

When the Tundra first came out in Feb we had this easter egg hunt all through the Toyota documentation for any reference to A-Trac as it concerns the Tundra....but it had disappeared. We all knew it existed but it's a secret now.

We have to go to the FJ or the LC to get the explanations.
    What is the small bulb behind the muffler. Is it some sort of resonator? The reason I ask is when I take delivery (yeeha!, next week) the first thing I plan to do is install a larger tailpipe that exits rearward (instead of sideways) with twin tips. I don't want the extra expense and noise of a dual system but want to improve the looks of the factory tailpipe.
  • urtundraexperturtundraexpert Member Posts: 20
    If you take a look at the 2007 Toyota Owners Manual given to you by the dealer. Refrence to pg 242 Traction Control System, look on the right side first bullet. You will see refrence to all four wheel spin control there. The 2007 Toyota Source Book, "4 Wheel Traction Control (also known as Active-TRAC or A-TRAC)." If you have access to this book the information is on pg 16 under Tundra. Any dealership will gladly show you this material. An easier way of explaing the idea behind Active Traction control is if you could picture a tree with a rope tide to the Tundra hitch. In 4 wheel drive the wheels will spin at diffrent times trying to get asmich traction as possible. Not one of the four holes will be the same depth. Where as other truck no equipped with traction control will dig four deep holes the same depth.
  • midrange1midrange1 Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to hear from any owners of the CrewMax to see what they think of the towing capabilities. I currently have a 2004 Silverado 2500HD Crew 6.0L that I use to pull a 30' travel trailer (not 5th wheel) with a full slide. The trailer weighs in at 6380 lb and 10400 lb fully loaded.

I'm thinking of getting the CrewMax 4X4 SR5 with 5.7L engine.

Thoughts?
  • shark65shark65 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new Tundra 5.7 Double Cab limited 4WD TRD a few months ago, I now have about 2500 miles on it. It really is a great truck. I've taken long drives with it, towed a 22 foot boat to the mountains, took it offroad and I'm completely happy with the truck. Plenty of power, even when towing, you can pass climbing hills with no problem. The mileage is good, I've experienced 18-19 mpg on the highway according to the onboard computer. 13-15 around town and 12.5 while I was towing the boat. Nav. is great, used the camera to hook up the boat. Works great. I haven't had some of the problems that some have had on this forum. No problem with the gauges, I'm 6'3 and must have a better angle. No vibration with the BFGoodrich tires. I still haven't heard a rattle or a squeak. I did order the remote start and it is kinda dumb to have to shut the truck off before you get in. One thing I did read earlier in this thread was about not being able to completely fill the tank up, and I also experienced this. When the computer says I have 15 miles till empty I am only able to put in 19 Gal. (26 gal tank) I was able to pump a couple extra gallons if I went real slow and topped it off which I attribute to the truck having a long flat tank which causes the pump to shut off.
    To the guy who was talking about the XM sounding like a tin can, I would say that was my impression too (slightly) when I first heard it, more when you listen to talk shows, but the XM sound is not as good as a CD or radio.
    I too had to order and wait for my truck to arrive, but it was worth the wait. I went to a second dealer because the first dealer told me they couldn't order the truck and would try to locate the exact truck for me. After about a month and a half I dumped that dealer and went to Toyota of Vallejo (CA)and they placed and order and had the truck to me in about a month with great service and a good deal. Thanks to this site for giving me incite before buying.
  • ltundraltundra Member Posts: 4
    i thought i'm the only one going nuts about bed bounce. in my case it sounds like the bed or something is loose. i've wanted to take it to the dealer but not able to reliably repeat the bounce. anybody else has similar experience?
  • ltundraltundra Member Posts: 4
    I have the 5.7 4x2 DC and I can honestly say that I have gathered enough data to conclude that I get avg 17 mpg in the city (Orlando) and 20 mpg on the HWY (from Orlando to Atlanta on several trips.)
  • truckertuckertruckertucker Member Posts: 11
    Anyone with the 5.7L 4x2 DC 6A using the 5 speed thumb manual shifting ("S" rather than "D") ? Any differences noticed ? i.e. in gas mileage for plain ole city driving ? any differences in low torque pulling ?
    I recently flew to Denver on business. I noticed that the Enterprise/Alamo car rental lot has many new SR5 5.7 Tundras in their lot. I also noticed that the long highway leading to and around the airport from Denver is the concrete/expansion joint type that so many are complaining about bed bounce and a terrible ride on.
    I already had another car reserved and didn't have time to change my rental to a Tundra but I think that anyone going there or that lives in that area could probably rent one to drive on that road and see the results if they would like to prior to buying. I would be interested in hearing the results.
    I pick up my new Tundra today and am very exited. It is one awesome truck and fortunately we don't have those road surfaces here in Fl. for the most part. However this bed bounce issue bothers me greatly and I hope they come up with a fix for it soon. From what I can gather It seems to be very specific relative to road surface, speed and load. I expect that it's a harmonic frequency issue that could be solved or at least minimized relatively easily.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    I'd be willing to bet there is a harmonic frequency for every pickup out there. As long as the bed is a seperate entity from the cab, there will always be a resonant frequency between the two unequal masses. That is where trucks like the Ridgeline and the Avalanche have the advantage of a unibody construction.
  • pipeliner2pipeliner2 Member Posts: 1
    picked up my 07'd/c limited 4x4 on 2/16/07 in tulsa ok. drove it to the house loaded it up and headed for a pipeline project in upper michican..Truck was broke in on the interstates and was happy with the gas milage of 17.6.I have had it in snow and mud over the running and have not been stuck yet, only one on the crew that has not had to be towed. I have been in 4x4 since 1974, and a truck is a tool for me, and i use it as one. Can not find anything i don't like about it yet. Have been a ford man all my life, but will never go back. Has anyone added duel exhaust to one yet or a lift kit ? Will check next week or so at my 20,000 service.Anyone thinking about one I feel you can't go wrong.
  • bigkenbigken Member Posts: 7
    I have the double cab 5.7 and pull a 30 ft zepelyn travel trailer and it is great. I get 12 to 13 M.P.G. pulling and 17 around town if I keep from getting on it. I have gotten 20.6 on the highway from michigan to ohio. I love the truck and won't have anything but. My only complaint is the remote start is junk, If I am not within 30 feet of the truck it doesn't work. I have about 6500 miles on it. I love the sound of the TRD dual exhaust.
    You mentioned adding a dual exhaust and lift kit. Would this effect the warranty ? If not, I wait for the next three years until its over to start modifying it.
  • subjectivesubjective Member Posts: 62
    In general we like our 07 DC 5.7 Tundra. Most of our driving has been on secondary highways at 55 to 60 MPH with 30 mile round trips to the same place. We consistantly get 20.5 to 21 MPG. That is a fact! I run 38 PSI cold, use Chevron regular and drive in a normal fashion. Under the same conditions my Hemi RC gave 15 MPG. This shows what they can do with new technology. Toyota does immediately need to address some issues. In bright sunlight with sunglasses I can not read the instruments which is no fault of mine. I have taken it to the dealer and they informed me the truck is normal and they do not have a fix yet. I consider this a safety issue that should be corrected immediately. An irritating design of the hood where it slants down near the windshield all the way accross, causes the sun to reflect back into your eyes at certain sun angles. I know the sun shines bright in Texas. Why didnt the Toyota test engineers see these design flaws before production started?
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Safe, or a problem Toyota needs to address? If you can't see with sunglasses, take them off! :mad:

Are you saying the hood is lower in the back than at the front?

I've sold and driven dozens of Tundras, and never experienced a sun glare from the hood.

Dealer probably thought you were a kook. :confuse:

DrFill
  • anythingbuttoyanythingbuttoy Member Posts: 102
    Dr (land)Fill,

Why must you attack a guy for posting his opinions on his new truck?

I have heard that the instrument cluster has been an issue from several owners on multiple Toyota forums. They are hard to read in bright daylight. So one should take off his sunglasses on a bright sunny day in order to see his instruments? Yeah, that makes sense. Glare from the hood can be a nuisance and possibly even a driving hazard, these types of things should be considered by test engineers. Just because YOU have not experienced it, means it does not/cannot exist?
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    It is well known among 07 Tundra owners, like myself, that even with the instrument lights turned up full bright the daytime legibility is marginal. The instrument faces are designed inside a tunnel, so not enough light makes it in to see the smaller gauges. Overall a great truck, but the instrument visibility in daylight is a boo-boo.
    If you are wearing sunglasses, you are compromising your own vision, which Toyota doesn't need to account for.

The sun can glare from hundreds of different angles. He said the hood was a problem, not the dashboard, which would be a first.

But if the guages aren't bright enough, you can have stronger bulbs put in aftermarket. Any color you want.

Visors are there to keep sun out of your eyes. Glasses just lower your vision. :confuse:

DrFill
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    Only a salesman would suggest an aftermarket fix to solve a design problem. Other than no illumination on the door panel switches except the driver's window switch, the 07 Tundra interior is great at night. Brighter bulbs would upset the balance between instrument and center cluster lights at night. More range on the high end of the rheostat might help in the daytime, but the better fix is to simply eliminate the tunnels that house the gauges. Takes a design change to fix a design flaw, not an aftermarket band-aid.
    So when the sun is behind you, or on the side, the guages don't wash out.

I'm not a salesman, and there will always be someone who has a problem with the guages, or someone wearing shades while driving.

I was always partial to a bright white or blue guage cluster.

Nobody's perfect. :(

DrFill
    "I've sold and driven dozens of Tundras, and never experienced a sun glare from the hood."

"I'm not a salesman.... "

Huh????
    "If you are wearing sunglasses, you are compromising your own vision, which Toyota doesn't need to account for."

So, I am supposed to drive in bright sunlight, or into a setting/rising sun without sunglasses so I do not compromise my vision? Think about this for a second and then tell me this is not a ridiculous statement.

"But if the guages aren't bright enough, you can have stronger bulbs put in aftermarket. Any color you want."

What do the bulbs have to do with it? They are not on during the daytime??? I beleive that is when this is an issue, not at night.
    How often, really, are you driving directly into a rising or setting sun, where a vizor can't help you?

Less than 5% of the time you drive!

If the sun is that low, the interior is still dark enough to see the guages without worrying about glare.

If you drive without shades. :blush:

My 20/10 vision notwithstanding. Many people are close to blind, and drive as such, so to each his own. :P

DrFill
    Why is it so hard for you to admit that Toyota made a boo-boo? Actually, from what I have heard the Sierra/Yukon Denali's have a unique guage cluster and have a similar issue. I have not seen it, but I certainly would not try to deny it if I saw it.

Oh, and alot of people drive east in the morning and at some point during the year are driving into the sun, same with driving west in the evening, especially in early/late winter when the sun sets during rush hour. What's so difficult to understand here? The visor only helps when the sun is high enough. I personally drive with sunglasses on even when it's cloudy, I am a bit light-sensitive. That is also why I tinted my front door windows.
    Anybody can find a problem that happens 5% of the time, and make an issue out of it.

I guess ever car has the same problem. So is it really the car? I don't think so. But whatever makes you sleep at night.

Forget Social Security! We have a real crisis on our hands!

If the sun hits my car just right, I can't see.

Toyota! Get to work! And take care of that Social Security thing, while you're under thur! That's why I pulled into "Full Serve":mad:

DrFill
    5%, where did that number come from? Your @ss?

Never said it was a crisis, just a simple little issue that Toyota overlooked. But you, like most Toyota fans simply cannot admit that a Toyota is capable of a flaw.
  • 12ozcurls12ozcurls Member Posts: 65
    hahahah... damn some of these toyota guys are sens-a-tive. come on fill, everyone knows the gauges are a design flaw. I'll bet you $20 the 2008 Tundra has a redesigned instrument cluster. Geeze man come on just admit it was a small design flaw. All trucks got something. I'm supposed to take off my SUN-glasses when it's sunny just to see my dash? Are you serious? Damn dude u got it bad...
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    An owner can make a comment about their experience without having others jump down their throats. Just because you don't experience the same effects doesn't mean the other person is wrong.

DrFill, lighten up.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Gents. :shades:

Pressing on.

DrFill
  • nwalker1nwalker1 Member Posts: 17
    I currently have a 2000 Chevy Silverado extended cab p/u truck which has 186000 miles and still going strong without any problems other than a water pump and fuel sensor to date. But I like the new double cab tundra pick up trucks and was wondering how they are performing, what type of gas mileage are the 5.7 L delivering, and how are the beds holding up after using the truck for work? Thank you!!
    taken a nasty turn. :sick:

DrFill
  • sloooseslooose Member Posts: 16
    You're right ---this could be and should be a useful forum. If it's true in that some people that work or have worked for the big three are posting bad remarks on here, they just need to be overlooked. I would be peeved too if I lost my job to some "foriegn" auto maker. Eventhough the truck is made in Texas (btw--is that part of the USA :))it's profits still go overseas. I have been pro-union and still am pro-union and pro- made in the USA for many years----!!!!!buttt!!!!----those guys have screwed themselves. The quality of the big three has been going down hill for a long time and it's the worker that did it, nobody else. It's called a work ethic-----if they were to care enough about thier job to turn out a good quality vehicle they wouldn't have to worry about the forien guy. I wanted to buy American but honestly I was afraid of the quality. Chevy and Ford are nice but I think the Toyota will last longer -----and for all those complaints about the Toyota Tundra that I've been reading -------so far I've had NONE of them (except a little drive line slop for want of a better term) that is betting beeter as I drive it. Oh--and by the way---I know what a truck is suppose to do as I drove the kind that bend in the middle and go pshhh - pshhhh when you press the brake-----I didn't sell 'em ---I drove them--- and I think after forty years of driving them I know a good truck when I see it.
    mmm... the sound of a salesman/dealer who adds-on to the invoice his own $2,500 fertilizer aroma enhancer attachment that will cover the smell of the salesman's bullcrap... the sound of a sales pitch that will convince everyone that their vision is warped and heir salesman's vision is the only true vision to be relied upon. We should all stand corrected and realize that the perfect truck has been built and no improvements will ever be needed for the Tundra. (oh except for the after-market bulbs of course)
  • sloooseslooose Member Posts: 16
    You know Filly----there's always room for improvement----your attitude could use some too! It's pretty obvious that Toyota is trying to get into the big truck market and for it's first endeavor it's done pretty well. All the sour grapes won't change that! The experiences of owners, that I know, of all the Toyota smaller trucks from previous years, including the midsize truck from the last few years has been outstanding. Nothing is perfect-----but it's refreshing to see somebody trying. I've been using the hell out of my Tundra----pulling a boat, hauling wood, four wheeling on old forest roads and the sand dunes where I live and nothing has stopped it yet. Now that's not saying the the big three's vehicles wouldn't or couldn't do that ----but----which one will last the longest without repairs? The jury is still out--------------
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ...of really unnecessary posts were sent to the trash heap.

Look at the top... it says "2007 Toyota Tundra New Owners Reports", not "Come Here to Bash the Tundra". If you don't have a constructive answer for someone's legitimate question, find a new sandbox because the off-topic junk is going to get some of you shown the door. Understood?

kcram - Pickups Host
  • eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    Thanks kcram, that was getting a bit silly.