Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• asetechasetech Member Posts: 6
    Brought my 2007 Tundra 5.7 eng back to the dealer again today. In the morning the trans would slip when pulling out the driveway and every turn I made from a stop. Turns out the trans fluid was low and the driveshaft and seal are to blame, TSB for this problem! They had to put me in a rental because the tras fluid is spraying all over the cat converters and they feared it would catch fire. It was very odd that the trans would only slip when cold and going around turns. I expect when all the bugs are out of the truck it will be great, I still like it!
  • h20h20 Member Posts: 42
    yep I know what you mean my 07 crewmax just blew a trans gasket and is blowing fluid all over the engine (they rented me a h2 hummer) untill it can be fixed. btw my son closed the tailgate the other day and it crumpled it cost me of $585.00. and the paint is chipping off my dash board as well the paint on the truck is fading and cracking.go figure its only got 2000 miles in it. i just hope no one dies when i crash it into a tree. i still like it.:)
  • revbryanrevbryan Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 08 crewmax 2 days ago. Dealer made a big deal about the "break in period", not to accelerate too hard or brake too hard for the first 1000 miles. You guys with the engine noise, did you "pamper" it during the break in period? Just wondering if I have morning noise to look forward to.
  • gobblermangobblerman Member Posts: 10
    I pampered mine and even insisted on getting a truck without demo miles so I know mine wasn't beat. I noticed the noise within a few hundred miles in the morning at first (it was late summer and nights were in the 50's). As the factory oil aged and things got colder I noticed the noise got much louder but always went away after 3 to 5 minutes. It only happens when first started and under light load. Just placing the trans in drive and accelerating slightly would produce this sound. When I changed my oil I went with mobile 1 0w20 and the noise was still there. I have heard that with synthetic 5w20 the noise is reduced and with 5w30(not recomended) noise is nearly gone. I have accepted the noise is normal but I am concerned when others with the 5.7 say they don't have it. All I've heard have (6). If some don't have it then is it normal? Do they let it warm up to long to hear it? Do they pay attention when they place it in drive and accelerate? Is their radio on? I only know the sound is significant enough others have asked me about it. The most reliable info I've heard is that it's the hydraulic lifters not fully primed. Let me reiterate I like this truck and would still choose it over the competition, but I'm less confident when I compare it to my other three Toyotas. Only time will tell. In the mean time it sure is fun to drive.
  • jwinnerjwinner Member Posts: 7
    I wish that was my problem (tranny seal). Mine used to slip until they put a new torque converter in it. Now, as I posted earlier, in the morning after going up my 45 deg. driveway, the truck surges a couple of times and then runs normally? These are the only problems I have had (one solved) and really look for excuses to go drive it!! I am a little jealous about a lady I saw driving exactly the same model as me... 5.7 TRD limited crewmax desert gold truck. We both were in a parking lot at a Publix Supermarket. I asked her if she knew of any problems with the truck. She explained she didn't know of any because it wasn't her truck. Her husband bought the truck for their 16 year old son for HIS BIRTHDAY! Damn, why weren't my parents that wealthy!
  • bobbywsrbobbywsr Member Posts: 8
    In reference to my message 1781 I just got a call from the dealership and they completed replacing the Left front Wheel Bearing, Differential and the Left front AV axle. As far as the engine lifter noise that they had previously told me was normal Good sound have changed their mine and I am taking it to the dealership Tuesday, Dec.11, 2007 to take off the top of the engine to inspect the Lifters. The service manager said the lifter noise is too loud. They are going to give me a vehicle to drive while they are fixing the lifter. I want everyone to know the dealership has been nothing but Excellent in resolving this matter. I am not knocking my Tundra as one of the posters stated, but feel that my problems will be resolved. I don't like the fact that they are going into my engine at 21,851 miles and will deal with that issue when I get it back, hopefully next week. My intentions are to pursue the Lemon law and I will ask for another Tundra. I will keep this thread updated as to the progress on the Lifter issue.
  • juan328juan328 Member Posts: 1
    :) I have an 07 DC 5.7 with TRD package. My don't bounce, it drive verry smooth. don't have any problems seen the instrument panel on a bright days.
    Got my truck back thursday from installation of the av axle and differential and tore the differential out of it Saturday when I checked the 4 wheel drive out. Now its Monday and back in the shop to fix the differential and go into the engine tomorrow Tuesday to adjust the lifters. I will keep posting.
  • bravaguybravaguy Member Posts: 5
    Hello. I've just purchased an 07 crew max ltd 4x2 and expect delivery by the end of the week. I'm very excited and cannot wait to drive my tundra. I've read several pages of the blogs and it certainly has enlightened me to the diverse experiences people have been having. What I haven't read (yet) are discussions regarding the negative Consumer Reports review on the Tundra, specifically, how they rank the 4x2 the best and the 4x4 the worst in the full size category.

I have subscribed to CR for several years, and while you should always consider opinions to be subjective to ones own experiences, they are generally regarded to be one of the better forums for automotive advice. Having said that, I am at a complete loss as to how they came up with a rationale for their ratings. They rate the reliability of the 4x4 as much worse than average but the 4X2 much better than average, but dont explain why other than stating the esc disengages in 4wd and a generic reliability complaint. Also, they rate other non drive train components of the 4wd worse than the 2wd, but aren't they identical between the two? I had intended to buy the 4x4 DC Ltd 4.7l but was scared off by the ratings and went to the 4x2 crew ltd.

I would be certainly interested to read other tundra owners thoughts on the CR issue. Thanks and have a great day.
  • olerascalolerascal Member Posts: 13
    I haven't read the specific CR report but I have had ZERO problems with my truck in general and it is a 4x4. In all fairness, I have only had it engaged a hand full of times but never a problem. It is very capable off road and goes in and out of all ranges just as it's supposed to and like every other electrically actuated 4x4 I've ever owned.
    I am not a huge fan of CR for several reasons and not going into more detail about why a specific product receives a poor "grade" is one of the major reasons.
    I'm considering making a minor change to my factory exhaust. I plan to keep the existing muffler forward and just removing the small chamber behind the muffler (resonator, I'm guessing) and replacing the tailpipe with a 3 1/2" or 4"single exiting strait back with maybe a split angle cut tip for looks.
    I do not expect a performance gain but am hoping to maybe get a minor sound improvement. Has anyone tried this or something similar and with what results? Thanks.
    I have read the CR article and find it quite confusing as they rate all the systems on the 4x4 as average or better yet overall it is rated worse than average. My take on it is that the 5.7 drive train is the question mark that imparts a lower grade for the 4x4s as the 4x2s are more likely to have the 4.7. Early camshaft issues with the 5.7 and the rumble strip problem in the 6 speed tranny may have impacted initial results. One must keep in mind that the data was collected mid 07 which is not a great reflection on the 07's as a whole especially when you consider the first 07's were not out until Feb. Also from what I understand CR dinged the Toyota 4x4 system because it was not full time or automatic. Now I don't know about you but I didn't buy an Audi and don't want full time 4x4 anyway. I can tell you I love the power of the 5.7, the quite ride, the handling, the stability control, the interior storage and aggressive styling. I could do without the diesel noise on startup, the weak tailgate (cables included), the fragile paint and the painted dash (although this has not been a problem for me). I find the ride to be quite smooth for a 4x4 truck and I have yet to experience the bed bounce. From time to time I notice the truck can be a bit jouncy but I have found this with most trucks, especially those of the HD variety. Would I buy it again? Yes. Am I a bit nervous as this is an american designed and built truck, maybe more american than the domestics (75% made in america)? Yes. My Japan built 4runner and T100 were legendary when it came to reliability, durability and longevity.
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    I am considering purchasing the new Tundra but am very cautious buying the first model year of a redesign. The SR5 Crewmax 4x4 5.7L looks good but the noisy engine lifters report and transmission problems scare me more than anything. I thought Toyota had that stuff down by now. How do we know whether this engine problem is rampant or just isolated to a few trucks? The forum seems to mostly attract complaints so we hear about those problems more often than we would otherwise. I may just wait until late 2008 to buy since this issue may hopefully be resolved by then. This is a great informative forum. Thanks.
    I just got my 07 Tundra out the shop again. Trans is working fine now, still waiting on the Toyota rep to tell me what he is going to do about the noise. If I had it to do again I would have waited for all the bugs to be worked out before getting one. I know the engine noise has not been revised yet on the new Tundra and probably won't be for another 6 months. As it is, mine is a lease, so in 3 years I will get another; Next time I will buy it outright. I was unsure at 1st so I leased it but I will definetely buy a Tundra the next go around. The gas mileage is great-(average 17.5mpg), it is fast, can pull my trailer with ease, and has a good solid feel. I expect every manufacturer has the same bugs to work out when they 1st put a new model and engine out there so no hard feelings.
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    The posts have mentioned piston slap, but I have not seen any "noisy lifter" problems.

Regards,
    Tom
  • mule4mule4 Member Posts: 36
    I have a 07 4 Wheel Drive Off Road 7500 Miles Only Problem had a torc converter put in It Was the rumble strip vibration . That's the only problem i've had. No engine noise great truck. I believe toyota will work the bugs out. Some of the big three still have bugs that they have had for years They say the bugs are normal and want fix it til the warranty goes out so they can get paid by the owner.Dodge was the best truck i ever had.i've had them all. I hope the tundra will be as good as the dodge diesel was.
    Just curious why did you go from dodge diesel to toyota gas? I have lots of friends with dodges and fords and gmc's that would never consider such a move especially if it was the best truck they ever owned. thanks h20
  • sloooseslooose Member Posts: 16
    I've been reading many posts here that complain about various thing on the '07 Tundra of which I've had none. My truck is a Dbl. Cab, 5.7 , 4x4 and I have had no problem with it. It did take a little bit getting use to the various little quirks or characteristics of the truck but after that everything seems to be fine. I took it in for an oil change this week and mentioned the problems I have been reading on this site to the salesman and he told me that these were mainly from the Tennessee (?) assembly plant. I very seldom believe a car salesman so I am just curious if this holds true. I would appreciate any feed back on this issue. Mine was made in Texas, and obviously the salesman knew this. The only reason I give his remarks any credibility is he had nothing to gain, as I had already purchased mine. I agree with an earlier post in that this truck actually rides quite nice. Lets face it --it is a truck. As far as lifter noise--the only time I hear the lifters is when I have my foot in it------and you expect it then. I looked at the Chevy Silverado while my oil was being changed and that truck seems to have as much plastic on the dash as the Tundra----so go figure. The only complaint I have with this truck is ------I know I'm going to get a speeding ticket with it----just don't know when!!!
  • sloooseslooose Member Posts: 16
    In post 1814 I referred to Tundras made in Tennessee---my mistake I meant Indiana.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    I wouldn't believe the dealer and I wouldn't believe a lot of what you read on the internet. Lots of trolls and whiners who make mountains out of mole hills. I bet 99.99 % of Tundra owners love their truck and are having zero issues.
  • mule4mule4 Member Posts: 36
    I did'nt need the diesel any more.I sold it & bought a new chev. z71 off road .I had nothing but problems Rear End - Drive shift - instrument cluster - steering column -Transmission They said they new of the problem but was not to fix it. I got rid of it at 30000 Miles & bought the tundra . I have read on the chev forum about owners with the same Trans. problem having to fix them after 36000 mi. warranty goes out .Those that bought the 100000 mi. warranty were lucky.
    Thanks for your reply,it sounds like you have an open mind to pick what truck suites your needs.
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    I've been doing a little "trolling" myself on this site. I've been bouncing between the Titan and the Tundra. I think what most people fall into is the "hype" of finding what's wrong with their trucks, since it's a Toyota. They have either owned one that ran perfect forever or knew someone that had one that ran perfect forever. My brother bought a Tacoma back in 2005 and it was a junker. He traded it for a 2005Tundra (the half-size full size one) and has beat the stew out of it without the slightest rumble. I mean, this new Tundra is Toyota's first "real" full size and that new 5.7 mill does pack 381hp. That's a big step into a huge arena. I'm sure Toyota's going through growing pains but I bet they get these quirks worked out by mid 2008 or 09 at the worst.
  • mrufenachtmrufenacht Member Posts: 1
    My new Tundra has a 26.4 gal tank, but I have never been able to put 19.5 gallons in when it read empty on both the gauge and the distance to empty calculator. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, were they able to fix it? Toyota City in Brooklynn Park MN said that the 7 gallon discrepancy was normal...... I find that hard to believe.
    I don't have the computer but if I run 30 miles past when the idiot light comes on, I still only need 22 gallons. As far as I know all the trucks are like this as I've read on other posts. By my calculation one should be able to go 80 miles past the light if you have a DC 4x4 5.7 and get 16-17 mpg.
    Yep i was just under 1/4 tank and put in 19.7 gallens on my 07 crew max 5.7 sounds about right.
    Well I got the news today. After all the shop visits the only problem left with my Tundra is the lifters. Today I was called from the dealer and they are going to replace the engine because of the excessive lifter noise. I want everyone to know I will not hesitate getting a new Tundra to replace my truck. I have owned GMC,and Dodges and if there were no problems with this Tundra it would be the best running truck I have ever owned. I have retained a lemon law attorney and she has informed me that it was my choice on moneys back or a new truck. The mileage payback ends on the third repair in NC and when I get it back I could drive it for several thousand miles and still pursue a new truck or my money back.
  • mrgroovskimrgroovski Member Posts: 22
    So let me get this straight - you are potentially filing a claim under lemon law against the Tundra, but if there were no problems such as those you noticed that required engine replacement at 20K miles, it would be the best running truck you ever owned?

In other words, other than having to consider lemon law, your Tundra is a great running truck? Congratulations on being a loyal Toyota owner!
    Just how excessive was your noise? I have this same noise and have been convinced it is normal and have heard it in every 5.7 I've been exposed to. Would your noise go away after 5 minutes? So is Toyota saying this is not normal noise? How much of this is the dealership or is this a Toyota rep?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Agreed. If the Toyota rep is able to establish that all the Tundras exhibit this noise on start up and that it doesn't affect the longevity of the engine by testimony of Toyota engineers, the arbitrator would have no option as to rule in favor of Toyota. No proof other than it makes noise on startup would be a basis for replacing a truck. Especially if while on the lot other Tundras are started and exhibit the same noise.
    my messages started at message 1781 and the engine noise is not the only issue.and by the way the lifte noise never went away. They have put a left front wheel bearing, AV axle, codes on the anti slip and a differential in the truck The new differential striped gears and they had to put another differential in a week later. The codes are a recurring problem that they cannot fix, YET
  • toddhmtoddhm Member Posts: 35
    Has anyone seen the Red Rock interior? What is the "LB21" interior color?
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    I've had a chance to see the redrock interior on the dark blue exterior and it is nice but, the color is a bit orange. Sand seems better. Just my opinion though.
  • hank16hank16 Member Posts: 1
    Seems like I am having the same problem. When I start up my 5.7. I get this slight "knock", but after a few minutes it goes away. I took it to the dealer, they told me they didn't hear anything....looks like I'll be going back!!!
  • tickinspectortickinspector Member Posts: 21
    I have a Black CM LTD with the Red Rock. It looks great - Everyone that see's it thinks it looks like something you would find in a luxury vehicle. What's also nice is the fact you get black carpet, which you need in a truck.
  • mfhallmfhall Member Posts: 22
    Red Rock looks GREAT! I have it with the Slate ext.
  • yota4trukyota4truk Member Posts: 34
    08"s have the same "bounce" as the 07"s :sick:
  • rockafellerrockafeller Member Posts: 2
    My 07 crewmax with the 5.7 started knocking at about 4,000 miles at startup then continued to knock after warmup.Factory rep approved a complete engine replacement at 5300 miles.I now have 600 miles on new engine so the jury is still out.My dealership has replaced two other engines so far.
    I posted message 1693 back in Oct. about my experience with the new Tundra. My impressions then were very positive. Review it if you like, it gives some of my experience with pick-ups over the years. Since then, I've had the opportunity to do some more hauling and 8000# towing with the Tundra.
    I still can not say say anything but good things about this truck. Not only does it do a great job of moving me and passengers from "A to B", it is extraordinary in it's working ability too. I've had over a ton in the bed on several occasions. It handled it great, did not compress beyond level and rode like a Caddi. In addition, about a half ton was rested on the tailgate while loading to re-position the forklift. The tailgate did not show any signs of failure. I know the load was a little over the rating but I didn't even know it until I did the math on 28 80# bags of concrete.
    It towed equally well. I live in FL. so the towing was mostly flat but it did every bit as good, if not better than my 02 diesel F250 Superduty that I traded in on the Tundra. Super power under load,great road manners and excellent on the boat ramp pull out too.
    I have not experienced any of the negatives that I've read about on the internet. The truck is not perfect, but my complaints are minor and by far the best truck I've ever owned so far. Excuse me if I brag a little.
  • kl67kl67 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 5.7 that is making a lot of noise...I am very curious to what they found when they went into your top end? Please let us know...
    Could you please email me at wingnutfe@yahoo.com, I have the same 07 Tundra 5.7 "KNOCK" not lifter "tick" that you seem to have had. I have taken it to the dealer, 1st time they told me it was normal lifter noise and when you stand outside the truck it does sound like lifters. The sound I am hearing inside the truck at all temps is a knock, most profound at low idle speed with the truck in gear, but can be heard shifting through 3rd gear or until wind noise drowns it out. When temp is below 40F the engine sounds worse than a diesel engine when accelerating onto a hwy. I have taken it to the dealer again and they are waiting on tech support to call them back. This knock started at about 10K and I now have 17K on the truck. I am asking you to email me so I may get more info to show my dealer that Toyota has recognized there is a problem and I don't get the "its normal" answer.

Thanks KL67
    The lifter noise was excessive and they totally replaced the engine. Now I have 1900 miles on the new engine and it is starting to make lifter noise. I am going to wait to see if it corrects itself before I complain about it....
    Could you please email me at wingnutfeyahoo.com, I have the same 07 Tundra 5.7 "KNOCK" not lifter "tick" that you seem to have had. I have taken it to the dealer, 1st time they told me it was normal lifter noise and when you stand outside the truck it does sound like lifters. The sound I am hearing inside the truck at all temps is a knock, most profound at low idle speed with the truck in gear, but can be heard shifting through 3rd gear or until wind noise drowns it out. When temp is below 40F the engine sounds worse than a diesel engine when accelerating onto a hwy. I have taken it to the dealer again and they are waiting on tech support to call them back. This knock started at about 10K and I now have 17K on the truck. I am asking you to email me so I may get more info to show my dealer that Toyota has recognized there is a problem and I don't get the "its normal" answer.

Thanks KL67
    My 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 is very noisey in the morning and all the dealer will say is that it is normal. I have really written the issue off because ths is a 3 year lease and will trade it in then on a new model-as long as the noise has been corrected.
  • rlaryrlary Member Posts: 18
    I have an 08 tundra grade dble cab 5.7. Just got it. Has just over 100 miles.
    Have the same concerns on the engine rap that I hear on start up and beyond.
    My 05 4.7 did it a little bit on cold morning start ups but this sounds like a diesel engine. Im very concerned. I never completly goes away and today, with temps in the teens it was very audible for the few miles I drove.
    Would like to hear more on other peoples situations and/or action taken.
    At 21900 miles toyota replaced my engine as the lifter noise never ceased. The new engine now has lifter noise and all I can do is wait to see if the noise continues. This is a ongoing problem with the 5.7 V-8 and they will eventually admit it. I have retained a lemon law attorney as my problem is not just the engine, but replacements of Left front wheel bearing, AV axle, 2 Diffrentials and code problems.. I will post my progress...
  • rlaryrlary Member Posts: 18
    Wow, thats a shame. Not left with many choices for reliable trucks if Toyota can't pull it off. I hope your luck improves.
    My 07 5.7 has 18K on it, started making the noise of concern about 10K. Two trips to the dealer for this noise and toyota tech line is saying that they are working on it but it is not a safety concern!!! My noise is more than lifters, it is a knock, most profound with the doors shut and the truck in gear at low idle speed. Knocks through about 3rd gear or until ambient noise drowns it out. Also can be distinctly heard with the driver door open sitting still with the truck at low idle, like the knock is coming out of the lower end of the motor rather than lifters on the top end.

I put a call into customer care and just spoke with the customer relations manager from the local dealer here. I told him my concern is not weather or not it is safe but that fact that I didn't buy a noisy truck so why would I want to drive one now? I told him that I bought this truck because of Toyota's reputation for quality and the poor quality that I had experienced with Ford and Dodge.

I not only refuse to drive a "knocker" but what does Toyota think this does to the resale value of my truck? I would not have purchased it if it knocked when I test drove it...should I expect someone to overlook it when I try to sell it?

I will give them a little more time to correct the problem but if I don't get resolution then I will explore my options.
  • justindimediojustindimedio Member Posts: 2
    I have an 07' 5.7 limited with the 6-spd auto and 35K miles. I've had no problems with the motor at all since new running mobil 1 5w-20 every 10K. My only concern before mine drops off warranty, is that occasionally after a long drive if i put the transmission in park and then put it back into drive, it shudders a couple of times before the truck moves normally. I haven't had any other problems with the transmission, but that shudder when its hot has me concerned. Has anyone else experienced this, and got any feedback from the dealer or tech support for this? My dealer says that the shudder is normal, but I don't believe it...