Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• rlaryrlary Member Posts: 18
    brought into dealership after this morning it sounded like a piston or rod was going to look for new home. Leaving over night Monday so they can hear it cold. Will post update when jury is back.
  • kl67kl67 Member Posts: 15
    Mine is going back to the dealer Monday as well...took it in this past Thursday for the same knock and they wanted me to leave it with them AGAIN! Last time they kept it 3 days and came back with acknoledgement that there was a problem and that Toyota was aware of the problem, and they are working on resolution. I refuse to accept "they are aware" so I will continue taking it back until I get resolution. They told me they wanted to keep it so they could diagnose the problem...? I thought they already did this and "Toyota was aware of it"... I too will keep the board posted of my progress.
  • theracingmindtheracingmind Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased a new 2007 Tundra with 11 km on the clock. At 780 km (500 mi) the VHS beeped as I turned a corner. As I slowed to a stop sign on a light layer of snow the front end sounded like it was falling apart, the abs hammered and the VHS/ABS warning lights came on. This at a speed of 20 kph or less.

I took it to a nearby dealership and they found a Toyota Service Bulletin (TSB) on this problem with the 5.7 L V8. They couldn't fix it there so I took it to the dealership I bought it from (I was 300 miles from home when the VHS/ABS/LSD system failed) and after a day, said they would have to consult with Toyota.

The system failed 4 days after I bought the truck and I feel uncomfortable using it until it is fixed. Are there any others out there with this problem? I hate to think my truck is a lemon, but Toyota has given me a sour taste.

The truck is a 5.7L 2WD Reg Cab LB SR5 trim.
  • rlaryrlary Member Posts: 18
    I noticed it sounds terrible when the abs kicks in. My 05 sounded bad too but completly diff from this sound. the 08 has almost a grinding sound. I'm going to dealer today on other issue, I was going to mention it.
    A slight correction to my post (1850) - The VSC (vehicle stability control)/ABS/LSD failed. The "VSC OFF" light flashes, the "skidding vehicle" symbol and both ABS warning lights are on, indicating that the VSC/ABS/LSD system is off. The VSC shuts off within minutes of starting and moving the vehicle. The grinding noise from the front end happens when the ABS engages, except when the VSC shuts off. When the VSC system has shut off, the truck brakes smoothly.

Another problem is fuel mileage. Highway mileage is 16.5 L/100km, vs the claimed mileage of 10.9 L/100km, 60% worse than claimed. I can see 5 or 10% worse mileage during the break-in period, but this is much more than expected.
  • brezins21brezins21 Member Posts: 2
    5,000 miles, I noticed rust on both bumpers around 4k. Anyone else? The dealer claims that there is a problem at the manufacturing level on the chrom application and they are working on it..
  • puckcoach7puckcoach7 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my '07 SR5 Double Cab in September. I now have 4800 Miles on it and my rear bumper passenger side and front bumper around both fog lamps have rust. This is my second go with the dealership as they have already replaced my original rear bumper. I have to drop my truck off for the "area TOyo manager" to have a look. Chicago Suburbs.
  • trucksaledavetrucksaledave Member Posts: 2
    Since new this has been the noisest engine I have ever owned to be new......A new sound every day.....Already taken it in 2 times and no one wants " hear the noise"......I have had 11 Toyota 's over 33 years and this is my first "problem".....The knock in the morning and the rattle in the afternoon.....I have actually stopped on the side of the road and checked the oil...twice to make sure it had oil in it.....Finally got the trans to shift correctly after the second visit......asked what they did and was told Nothing was wrong......BUT it was a different shifting truck after I left......Wife will not drive it cause she says she wants to go and come and not break down.....I hate breakdowns and I feel like she does.....We took her 2000 4-runner with 189,000 mile on vacation cause we were not sure about a BRAND NEW VEHICLE.....sad......Checking my options.......trucksaledave
  • dpackerdpacker Member Posts: 2
    after only 7500 miles, my 2007 started making a noise when coming to a stop and idling. also the transmission seemed to struggle/hesitate going into a higher gear.took it to dealer 10/29/07 they said noise coming from bottom end .toyota replaced the motor.they did not specify exactly what was wrong with the motor but according to consumers affair.com they were having a problem with the camshafts and replaced the engines on an as needed basis.I had bought extended warranty toyota refunded money and replaced it with a100,000mile extended for free .they say transmission is normal any suggestions on why it struggles/hesitates mainly when it is cold
    Not to ignore your shifting problem but how is the new engine? Noise? My 07 5.7 hesitates to shift when cold but is fine once warmer. Mine is in the shop now, been there for over a week, dealer is telling me they had to "re-do" the recordings of the noise b/c tech line could not hear the noise very well. Could you contact me at wingnutfe@yahoo.com, I would like to get a little more info from you to have as ammo with my dealer about the knock issue I have.

Thanks
    kirk
  • dpackerdpacker Member Posts: 2
    after putting truck into dealership, i went on line found consumeraffairs.com and found out about the bad camshsafts.i then contacted dealership and very politly asked if that was wrong with mine.they did not give me the run around and the engine was replaced.maybe that helped i dont know.engine seems fine shift is fine when warm.
    The truck was in the shop all week. They called and said it was fixed. We shall see..

On my way to the shop last week the windshield picked up a stone chip. The windshield seems 'way too fragile to me. Has anyone had problems with windshields cracking on the 2007 Tundra?
  • mule4mule4 Member Posts: 36
    Man I haven't seen a windshield that wouldn't chip if hit with a rock.I've had all kinds of trucks & cars they all chip & crack.you might try putting a piece of steel over your windows.
  • toyota4lifetoyota4life Member Posts: 53
    Come on MULE4, do you actually believe all these people are tundra owners? the fragile windshield and rust issue is pretty funny though. you would think by now people would get the picture that the tundra is here to stay :P
    So I guess you want me to send you some recordings of my engine knock as well?
  • bravaguybravaguy Member Posts: 5
    Just my 2c's . There have been a lot of posts recently on the 5.7L engine knock, some being more pronounced than others. I've had my 4X2 5.7 CM Ltd for 2 months (3300kms) know and at first I was concerned about the knock at start up, but it ALWAYS went away after about 5 minutes. Unless the sound gets louder and becomes persistent, I'm not going to let it bother me anymore...I don't believe anything is "wrong", just a design characteristic of the engine.

Two things that are concerning me however have been the low fuel economy and a noticeable hum while driving. I've been avg ~14 us mpg with mostly city driving, about 70/30 cty/hwy. My driving style is very conservative for I've made a point of not gunning it from stop lights or hard acceleration on the hwy (cruising at 60-65 mph). A lot of people talk about the break in period an fuel economy should improve but there is much disagreement on how long that is. I realize this truck is a beast and not a prius, but my figures are consistently lower than a lot of the posts here. I hope it improves soon.

2nd point is the humm. I've read a lot about the torque converter and rumble strip issue, but it is only a sound, not a vibration. It doesnt happen all the time and I've tried to notice if it hapen when the tranny changes gears but haven't seen any pattern. I'd like to think I'm not being paranoid, that its a big engine and its going to have sounds different from those half its size. The biggest engine I've had prior to this was the 4.8 on my 2001 sierra 1500, which was almost silent.

Other than these minor gripes, I love this truck and would still buy it again in a heartbeat! ">
  • canadiantoyotacanadiantoyota Member Posts: 148
    Just for some general information... I have owned 8 toyotas (cars and trucks). The fuel mileage does not improve until the vehicles have reached 20 to 25000 kms (12,500 to 15,000 miles). The fuel mileage than goes up anywhere from 10 to 20%. This has been my experience with each and every Toyota that I have owned. I know the first two that I had, I was concerned about the mileage. It eventually corrected itself and stayed pretty true throughout my owning the vehicle.

:)
  • cheryl3877cheryl3877 Member Posts: 1
    my dad is having the same exact problem, he is so upset he said he is going to stop making his payments. he brought it in twice and they are telling him it is normal. what are u planning on doing? i am trying to find a solution :(
  • jackel142jackel142 Member Posts: 47
    I spent 20 years working in new car dealerships, and I can tell you that "stop making payments" is not a solution. Toyota already has your money. The bank (even toyota finance) has nothing to do with your problem. All this will do is cause your truck to get reposesed.

Take your truck to the dealership. Make sure each time you take it in, that they write up a repair order, report the problem 3 times. If they have not resolved the problem in 3 visits, you then may be elegible for a lemon law case.
  • jwinnerjwinner Member Posts: 7
    Have a Tundra with 2500 miles. My garage is under my house (live on a lake so it is bermed for the lake) When I first start to go up my driveway (approx. 35 degree ramp up to the street) and the truck is cold, sometimes the transmission will "slip" and bang into gear. After taking to a dealership they can't make it do it (so they say) I left it for a week. Still does it every now and then but I am concerned that I will have problems after the 60,000mi. warranty. Asked them for an extended warranty,they (Toyota rep.) said no. I am now going to arbitration where I am sure they will say no, then to court. Love the truck but something is wrong. Even my wife felt the bang and said none of our other cars do that. By the way, they put a new torque converter in it to no avail. Why would they do that if they couldn't find anything wrong. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!
    Update to my engine knock...toyota tech had the dealer pull the engine so they can change the lower end bearings. I am getting my info from the customer relations manager so there could very well be some confusion on what toyota wants them to do and what he is telling me. From what is sounds like the crankshaft bearings is what their targeting. The service manager is fighting to get them to send them another shortblock. I don't blame him for wanting the short block, a lot of labor going into changing the bearings and it not fix the problem. Truck is sitting in a stall w/o an engine...I consider it great progress...this would have never happened with Ford or Dodge, they just ignore problems until you go away.
  • justindimediojustindimedio Member Posts: 2
    i have the early 07' (jan 07' production) tundra limited 4x4 dc w/ the 5.7 and the 6spd, which had a low speed and high rpm shudder in the trans. The dealer just replaced the torque converter which solved that issue completely. They told me that my truck was one of the first 700 to roll off the line and all of them with the 6spd possibly had defective converters (so toyota rep says). At least i can say i did get 36K out of the trans before it started its bad shudder, but it did take two trips to the dealer to solve, which was pretty annoying.

No problems with the 5.7 motor at all though. It is noisy when cold, but if i let it warm up for a minute or two its fine, even when its in the teens. (mobil-1 0w does quite it down more)

I have 39K on it now and just noticed a wierd noise and feel coming from the front end. When driving around 30-35 mph on a slightly curvy road, i can hear a humming noise and feel some kind of grinding coming through the steering wheel. It almost feels like the front axle is binding up, as if i had it in 4wd on dry pavement and tried to turn hard (which i've never done in this truck). It really has me concerned now because i'm over 36K w/o an extended warranty. (i love that feeling)

Has anyone had an issue with the front end in the 4x4 models? My truck is driven 70/30 highway/city...
  • surfmasurfma Member Posts: 2
    Not my windshield but barley bumped my taillight and it broke. They are really thin plastic. Be careful....I also got rear ended and needed 4k in repairsmnew bumber,a few dents,new trailer hitch. So they gave my an 08 Silvarado that was way more comfortable!! (not as fast though!)
  • brezins21brezins21 Member Posts: 2
    Explain this.

Sitting at a stop light, the engine revs from 5-600 rpm to 7-900 rpms. It fights against the brakes. Also, when coasting at about 1000 rpm and coming down, the vehicle will lunge up to 1200-1400 rpm. THis has happened 3 different days, I have 6,000 miles on it.
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    A couple of possibilities . . .

First, your A/C might be cycling on and off, which may slightly raise the idle to compensate. Both of my cars idle slightly higher when the A/C compressor is on.

Second, many vehicles have grade logic and shift to a higher gear when you tap the brake and are slowing down. Even if it doesn't, the RPMs are going to rise slightly when the vehicle shifts as it slows.

This behavior could be entirely normal.

Regards,
    Tom
  • raul76051raul76051 Member Posts: 19
    I just purchased this truck today and on the way home, the ride felt a little bumpy, is that normal?
    Mine is similar, it seems like the system that is designed to help slow the truck down actually pushes it forward in a surge sometimes. I have found that my truck stops quicker if I push the tranny into Neutral during coast down.

Right now my truck is getting a new engine in it for a knock. The truck I am driving is a 4.7 Ltr and it is smooth as a baby's butt...if I didn't need the 5.7 to pull my camper I would be very upset when comparing the two engines. Trust me though, the 4.7 cannot compare to the 5.7 in horsepower.
  • jemezcrusherjemezcrusher Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar "knock" that I posted about on the "mud" blog. Seemes pretty noisey on cool/cold mornings, and after about 5-10 minutes goes away. Sounds like a bearing knock to me. Took it to the dealer who said was normal (injector noise) and sent me on my way.

I have seen many reports of this noise, and have a couple of friends that have these and say they have no noise. I guess I will have to wait and see, but want to take it in a few times in case it does create an issue down the road, I will have some recourse (hopefully). I told my dealer (American in Albuquerque) that some were reporting problems and they kind of shrugged it off. I would like to point them to a dearler that is actually pulling an engine due to the problem.

Where are you and what dealer has your truck?

Thanks
    jemezcrusher,

contact me at wingnutfe@yahoo.com and I will give you all my data.

Kirk
  • otto8otto8 Member Posts: 116
  • natcatperrynatcatperry Member Posts: 3
    it only took me 3 months to reply.....yes i did call Toyota corporate and voiced my concerns on the knocking. they said it was 'piston slap' and is normal. That said they extended my powertrain waranty to 6yrs/100k miles to alleaviate my concerns. i didn't even complain or ask for the extension....I'd give them a call
  • truckrbobtruckrbob Member Posts: 2
    could you post or email me with toyotas corp phone # email address is truckrbob@comcast .net thank you
  • natcatperrynatcatperry Member Posts: 3
    the # is 800-331-4331
  • drich20drich20 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 07 Tundra 4x4 on Labor Weekend, 5.7 liter with 6 speed auto. Today, I have 15K miles on it.

Within 2 weeks, I went back to the dealer because the torgue converter wasn't downshifting cleanly. The tranny vibration was like going over a rumble strip. The technicians at the dealer didn't notice the vibration. I insisted they hook up their laptop to the diagnostic port and we went for a drive. After replicating the problem on multiple issues, the dealer agreed and subsequently replaced the transmission and torgue converter. Today, the transmission slips (hot or cold) when driving up my 22 degree driveway.

When I purchased the truck, I had a 5 state sales territory. I have experienced the roads of Colorado to California. On the older Southern California freeways, the expansion joints caused the rear end of the truck to bounce almost uncontrollably. A couple of times I thought I hurt my back. Outside of So. Cal, the bed bounce has been a non-issue.

I seen various messages regarding the knocking noise coming from a cold engine in the morning. I have the same issue. The sound reminds me of the "piston slap" I experienced from my 1965 Mustang with 200K miles on it. After the engine warms up, the piston slap noise goes away, just as my Mustang did 30 years old. This isn't normal.

If the issues above persist or get worse, I'll take it back to the dealer and have it fixed.

Other than the comments above, I don't think I couldn't have bought a better truck.
  • mrtoad3mrtoad3 Member Posts: 68
    I will be receiving my newly ordered Tundra Doublecab 4x4 Standard Bed in April. I got the Limited with NAV, TRD, cold pkg, tow mirrors and 5.7L engine. I am somewhat concerned about reliability issues that I've been reading about here. I sure hope all is sorted out with the 2008's by now. Since it is being built this week in San Antonio, I hope it has all the upgrades and fixes. I'll post again when it arrives. I'll probably get a rhino-liner and shell soon after I pick it up. Im really looking forward to having this truck since all others I drove during my research phase were really inferior in most aspects...performance,handling, features, price, etc...
  • mfhallmfhall Member Posts: 22
    I've got close to 10K on my DC 4x4 5.7. I too am not seeing the gas mileage many posters say they get. I rarely do alot of hiighway driving (I took one trip form GA to IL and got around 17 GPM). In and around I average about 14 mpg.
  • mfhallmfhall Member Posts: 22
    Your 2nd point about the hum. I notice what I can barely call a vibration at my accelerator foot. It seems like a hum/vibration. It never gets bad, always the same, noticeable but not much more.
    Update...got my truck back from the dealer. They put a new short block in it!!! Paperwork for the engine replacement stated that the #5 rod bearing was coming apart...that would probably cause my knock! Truck sounds great and feels as tight as the day I drove it off the lot. I only have about 500 miles on the new engine but I have my fingers crossed that I will have zero issues.

I commend Toyota for taking care of the problem...as I have stated many times I would still be fighting with Ford/Chevy and would still be trying to get Dodge to acknowledge that there was even a problem.

Toyota may have a few issues with the introduction of their new truck but making it right is what they are doing right. They have earned themselves one more loyal Toyota customer! In a couple of years when my wife is ready to get out of her Impala we will be shopping for a Toyota if they have kept up the good work.

Kirk
  • sid13sid13 Member Posts: 1
    There is a problem with filling the top of the tank, not with the gas guage. You can squeeze several gallons extra after automatic shutoff by dribbling the fuel slowly to top off the tank. It is very slow and annoying to do so.
  • 1972ck1972ck Member Posts: 56
    I haven't chatted on this forum for awhile so I figured I'd toss my 2 cents worth in. I went and did it. I've finally picked up my new Tundra at the beginning of the month. I drove the Silverado, the Ram and the F150...bought the Tundra. What can I say? I have owned three other Tundras in the past. Bought my 1st one in June of '99 (as a 2000 MY) like the others but LOVE this new one. Smooth as silk on the highway, stunning looks and much, much more capable of a truck. I purchased a LD Fisher plow at the same time. The truck barely squats in the nose when the plow is on. 1st tank of gas went fairly quickly. I averaged 13.8 mpg on the first tank of fuel that was courtesy of Toyota. Since then I've been averaging 15.8 mpg. I know this thanks to the tell-tale multi-function display on the dash. The magic number on the interstate highway is 65 mph. If the grade stays fairly even the truck gets 20.4 to 22.9 mpg. If it hits a grade the instant fuel economy read out drops like a rock. The ride is a tad stiffer than my last Tundra ('05 Double Cab TRD) but not too stiff. Given this new truck's abilities over my last truck I can excuse the slightly stiffer suspension. It is a TRUCK after all. The turning radius is a dream and is hands down far shorter than the other manufacture's offerings. I am waiting for spring to arrive so I can see the effects of my 26' travel trailer being towed behind this monster. The 5.7 liter has tons of stump pulling torque at gets up to speed quickly. I have had no issues so far and the truck is now reading nearly 1,000 miles on the odometer. With Toyota's reputation for quality I am sure this truck will continue to give me reliable service. :D
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I haven't been on edmunds in quite a while and i guess i will once again report on how my Tundra is doing!!

5.7 L V8 2x4 Bought in March '07

Currently at 48,762 miles on my truck

But Gas Mileage is dropping!!!!!

My current Average mileage is listed at 15.6 MPG
    worst in March so far has been 11.2, while my best
    has only been 19.4 (not even 20 MPG), I don't know
    why but November-January I was averaging between 16.5 and 21 MPG!!
    And know in March I'm not even getting 20!!!

I go to all the services and I keep my truck in pretty well
    shape!!
    Anybody else having some problems like me? :confuse:
    Please reply Back!!
  • toddhmtoddhm Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone know what, if any, changes are in store for the 2009 Tundra and when the new model year will arrive?
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I read somewhere that in 2009 they will add like 2 exterior colors and a new interior trim, everything else I'd expect to be the same! But I think that I'll be trading my Tundra by next year!
    I don't understand why Toyota doesn't offer the 78.7" bed (as on Double Cab models) on the Crewmax. This would bring the overall length of the Crewmax to 240.7" which is still 6" shorter than overall length of the Double Cab Long Bed model. To me, the Crew Max does not look proportionate with such a short bed. Hopefully in 2009 the Crewmax will be available with a longer bed...
    Hi,
    The rumors I have been hearing is not much in the way of changes till 2010-2011. The rumors also consist of a 1 ton diesel, dual wheeled truck. Given Toyota's 4 to 5 year cycle for model changes I don't think we'll see much till 2012 styling-wise.
    Hello all, I am considering the purchase of a 2008 Tundra 5.7 that was manufactured in late 2007. Have the issues with the 5.7 (knock, etc.) been isolated to a certain period of production, and if so, after what month of production have the issues been addressed and corrected on the assembly line? Is there a way to check the VIN on the particular truck I am purchasing to ensure that it is unaffected? Please help.....
  • bravaguybravaguy Member Posts: 5
    I got one of the last 07s made (I think) 5.7 4x2 CM Ltd manufactured in Sept at the Indiana plant. The knock is still there but not nearly as bad as some others have posted and have had their engine replaced. Due to the universallity of comments on the knock, I really don't think it is isolated to any particular batch or run. However, it's puzzling why some have had to have the engines replaced when Toyota insists its normal! Usually I would prefer to wait until most of the bugs have been worked out before I purchase a vehicle that has had a total redesign, but I couldn't pass up the factory incentives (4K) and financing (3.9%/60 months) plus the usual dickering. So far though I have no (real) complaints at 6000kms and 4 months. If the knock still concerns you, the only way you'll know for sure is to actually take the vehicle you intend to purchase out for a test drive. That may or may not be a challenge. For me, I couldn't get a VIN number until my dealer physically took possession of my truck (3 days after sealing the deal). Good luck.
    Hi,
    I would not sweat it over this "knock" issue. I own new Tundra myself and have several friends and relatives with the same 5.7 liter V8. None of which have had any issues with their new Tundras. Knowing Toyota and how they operate, if there is a problem, it's been addressed. Take the advice from the other poster and drive the vehicle you intend to purchase. Getting the VIN early will not tell you much as a consumer. Your local dealer should have the full VIN prior to it hitting their lot if you would like to have that. If you are ordering the truck special your local dealer should be able to tell you by their inventory sheet some sort of estimated production week and an ETA on it's arrival to their dealership. Toyota is real good about quality control and keeping track of what's happening and when.
    I am positive if there is this "knock" issue that measures have been in place to remedy it. This 1st I've heard of it was scanning through these forum messages. No one that I talk to with a '07 or '08 Tundra w/ the 5.7 liter have had or heard of this "problem".
  • yota4trukyota4truk Member Posts: 34
    good luck in getting the "bounce" fixed, the 08's do the same thing and Jay Mahoney at Toyota Headquarters said he doesn't think there will be any "Bulletins" on it for ever.. There must be a lot of either "numb" or Proud people out there that won't admit to the bounce problem ,it is an unhappy ride each time and Toyota not recognizing it makes one's respect for the company wilt......
    What exactly is the "bounce" issue, could someone please describe this complaint in more detail?