Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I saw the 2007 Toyota Tundra in the ad. The truck looks beautiful(but not as good as the 2007 Silverado) The Tundra on the ad was a gold color. It looked great. It had TRD off road. The ad showed it to be coming December 2006.I showed it to my Toyota dealership the man said only some places will get it in December.
  • 1972ck1972ck Member Posts: 56
    Toyota's "STAR" safety system standard, NEW auto. limited slip differential standard
    10.5" ring gear in the rear differential
    14" brake rotors (on all four corners), 4 piston calipers in front HUGE calipers
    front full box section frame, curled lip "C" channel frame in rear
    staggered/outboard mounted rear shocks with tapered rear leaf springs for better articulation.
    up to 10,800 lb. towing capacity
    18" wheels standard on 4x4's
    the front wheels "camber" (or tilt in and out) when you're in a tight turning situation :shades:
    1972ck man do have some questions for you. First off if you buy the new Double Cab can you get the 4.7 liter instead of the 5.7 liter? Second,when will Toyota add some heavy duty models to the Toyota Tundra line-up? And last but not least, when will they release the Crew Max model?
  • diabowdiabow Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at buying the 06 since it is available at a great discount but would like to hold off for the 07. I have never paid retail for a vehicle so would find it difficult to shell out full price. I'm looking for some comments to sway my decision. Thanks in advance
    Yes, the 4.7 is will still be available. My guess is that eventually the 4.7 will be discontinued. This new "1/2 ton" is built like a 3/4 ton. With it's available towing and payload capacities this new Tundra will do what 99% of what most truck buyers do with their full sized p/u.
    I've heard rumors that a heavier duty 3/4 and 1 ton are in development. I believe the situation is this...if Toyota sells over 200,000 of this new Tundra for MY2007 then Toyota will build the "heavy duty" trucks. Toyota has the additional space already in their new Texas plant to build a facility to manufacture a heavy duty pick up. I wouldn't expect a 3/4 or 1 ton until around 2010. When the '07 is out...drive one. You see what I mean. If you get a knowledgable "truck guy" when you go to your local dealer who can explain and show you the capabilities of this new Tundra you'll understand.
    Hi,

Boy that's a tough one. The current generation Tundra is a great truck. And yes there are programs to move 'em. I don't think you'll see any programs on the '07 truck for awhile. I guess the decision is really yours to make. Do you want to pay more for "the new kid on the block" or will the current generation be fine for what you need it for? If you're looking for something that will tow 6,600 lb.s and get a discount...by the '06. If you can wait till February or so for your purchase and can live with yourself for paying a bit more for more towing, power and size. Well, wait. My Double Cab SR5, TRD Off Road 4WD will be on the market come Feb. I'll get 'ya a good deal on my used one. Hee-hee. ;)
  • diabowdiabow Member Posts: 2
    Any info out there yet on the estimated gas mileage of the new 07 engines?
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    Not only do they pick the Tundra as top large truck but they also pick the Tundra as the Most Significant Vehicle of The Year for 2007!

I have been offered a 2007 Tundra at cost once all the hoopla passes. I am very impatient individual and the editor's at Edmunds are not helping!
  • truckchampiontruckchampion Member Posts: 1
    Wow I got to drive a supercharged 2007 tundra today and let me tell you that it is amazing....if your not on a list to buy one I suggest you do...I also drove a lifted 2007 tundra and it was equally impressive.
    Toyota still has not released any EPA ratings on the new 5.7 liter. I've heard rumors of this new "300-20 club" it's what auto manufacture's are calling any new V8 with 300 plus hp and gets 20 mpg hwy. The new Tundra is supposed to be in that "club". Again, no official word from Toyota.
    It would be nice though,aye? 380 some odd horses and 20 mpg! Where do I sign? Should be the only question on a buyers mind.
    Hey guys I was just at Wikipedia.com. I looked up the Toyota Tundra for 2007. They said Toyota announced that it had 381 horsepower and 20 miles per gallon!!!!!! I was very well impressed. If this is true Toyota will sell everyone they make. This is even better than Chevy's 315 horsepower Silverado giving 20 miles per gallon. I expect them to sell atleast 350,000 Tundras in 2007. then maybe in late 2008 they can start production of thier heavy duty line up. Just think about it... the Tundra 2500 and Tundra 3500.
    Hi,

I looked on Wikipedia.com and could not find any hp or EPA fuel economy ratings anywhere. Did I miss a link or something on that web page?
    Turns out that the 381 horsepower Tundra will be the supercharge model the regular 5.7-liter should crank out some 350 horsepower and 390 lb ft torque. Who knows? Next month in mid-December Toyota will annouce their power numbers. I'm so anxious!
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    381HP is correct. There is no S.C. engine.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    The silver one on the third page of the article at the link looks pretty good to me. The white one on the second page, however, has to be the ugliest thing I have seen in a long long time. It is ungainly, badly proportioned, fat lipped and pug-faced at the same time. All around horrendous.
    Thanks. They believe that the 100,000 sales goal is a little ambitious! I believe that sales will surpass expectations. I'll bet there are a lot of drivers who have never owned a truck who will purchase the new Tundra.
    Toyota sold 120,000 Tundras in 2005 with the current generation Tundra. Their sales goal for '07MY is 200,000. I believe they will sell all of that as well. The base grade truck (the white one) is meant for fleet sales. You know, highway dept.s and contractors. It might not be the prettiest belle at the ball but it'll get the job done.
  • usedtobeloyalusedtobeloyal Member Posts: 31
    Read the issues that Toyota is having with early Tundra transmissions.
    It appears that the transmissions are showing signs of trouble as time goes on.
    I have owned two Toyota trucks (T-100 and Tundra)
    It just cost me $3500 for a new transmission on a 2001 Tundra. Read the "problems" forum; there are many postings on transmission issues as the Tundra ages. :lemon:
    Toyota told me I was on my own for the repair albeit the truck was serviced according to their scheduled maintenance.
    Never towed; never heavy hauled.
    Be careful of the transmissions as the Tundra grows old :lemon:
    Don't thank ME all at once!!!

I wish I had read the forum on Problems with the Tundra BEFORE I purchased it.
    Unfortunately, I am one of the original owners of the Tundra; I own a 2001. Advertised Truck of the Year back then :)
    NOW: 2006 :lemon:
    Just replaced the transmission - $3500. :lemon:
    Never towed; service according to the scheduled maintenance, and Toyota dealer service dept., Toyota Regional Rep., Toyota national, and dealership owner said I was on my own for the cost of repair.
    Read the postings about transmissions on Tundras BEFORE you consider a purchase.
    I have owned two Toyota trucks: there won't be a third.
    Buyer Beware - :lemon:
  • 3rdiopen3rdiopen Member Posts: 6
    I was at our Toyotathon Launch at cowboys stadium today. I was privelaged enough to get a good look at some "secret footage" of the tundra. They went so far as to make sure we didn't even break out our camera phones. It was a 9 minute demonstration of the Trucks ability. Sort of cheese ball infomertial type thing, with Terry Bradshaw. They gave us a ton of specs. One they skipped though was the horse power. The only thing they said was it's industry leading. Truck looks good. It's HUGE, they had Terry Bradshaw, over 6 feet tall, in the front seat. Then they had Karim Abdul Jabar in the back seat!!! Plenty of room I hear. Anyways, first on rolls of the line tomorow. They won't hit the dealership untill end of January. See you there folks!!!
  • jnalleyjnalley Member Posts: 5
    The 2007 Tundra is scheduled for release early 2007.I work at TMMI and we don't start production of the new model until January.
    The dealership said they would have the new Tundra by next week?Bullcrap,I work at TMMI and the 07 has not gone into production.We have built some (in fact we built 2 last night),but they are trial vehicles.The public will never have access to them.Want to see something that will make you sick....at work we have a new D-cab that the roof has been cut off of with a sawzall.I haven't heard about the "crew max".At work,they are still refered to as B,C,or D cab.If you have any questions,feel free to ask but I can only tell you so much.I can say this...anyone interested in a "crew max" or D cab,start saving your money boys.It is a big,awesome truck.
    DrFill,I'd like to know who your "good authority" is because I work on the engine line at TMMI and I have not been told any numbers.We have asked,and they won't even tell us,and we're the ones building the truck.
  • joegamonjoegamon Member Posts: 1
    Where can i find spy photos and the best research regarding the supposed "mega cab" version of the new tundra ?
    Does anybody know if they changed the transmission in the 2007 Tundra?

There are problems surfacing in the "original" fleet of Tundras.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The transmissions in the NGT are entirely different than yours since yours is a 4AT and all the new ones are either 5AT or 6AT.

5AT in the 4.0L and 4.7L
    6AT in the 5.7L
    Hopefully, the changed transmission does not start to fail as the original Tundras have.
    The old transmission didn't stand up. :lemon:
    And Toyota did not stand behind the vehicle. When the drivetrain warranty is up (60,000 miles); the customer is on his own. It's an expensive "bet" to make for a vehicle that hypes 100,000 - 200,000 miles.
    I have owned two Toyota trucks, and I was considering a new 07 Tundra.
    After my recent transmission experience and the response from Toyota's customer service, I won't buy another. :lemon:
    Many current owners over on TS have had different experiences and are waiting impatiently for this NGT. I'm sorry yours had problems.
    3rdiopen...Toyota asked us not to mention Terry Bradshaw being in those videos. It was for "internal use" only due to his contracts with other companies. And yes, it was a major cheesey video.
    I am sorry to hear of your woes with your Tundra. I have personally owned three Tundras. One of which I had put 78,000 miles on. I sold it privately to a local woman who has 145,000 miles on it last I psoke with her with no issues. This truck has towed over 6,000 lb.s numerous times when I owned it. The 2nd Tundra I owned I put 89,000 miles on and it is still on the road. (I'm friends with it's new owner) He using it for his general contracting business and it now has 107k plus miles on it without any tranny issues. He tows a trailer behind it everyday to and from his job sites. Did you have your transmission flushed every 30k miles or so? Unfortunately, Tundras are machines and machines break occassionally. "If it has wheels it'll give you problems." I wouldn't call every Tundra a lemon. I currently own a 2005 D-Cab it has 22k miles on it. I plan on buying a 2007. (If I can afford it that is.)
    Yes,the 2007 transmission and transfer case are different than the current model.The maual transmission will no longer be offered either.
    You said "When the drivetrain warranty is up (60,000 miles); the customer is on his own."....isn't that the case with any auto maker,once the warranty expires you are responsible for all repairs?They are not warranteed for the life of the vehicle.
    More importantly, MANY owners are currently having transmission problems.

Toyota advertises about the durability of the truck: commercials of vehicles of over 100,000 miles; yet when the warranty is up at 60,000 miles, they don't stand behind the vehicle.

If you buy the Tundra you might be lucky; you might be not.

Is it worth the "roll of the dice" to be hope you don't ultimately have this kind of expense.

It's not going to happen to me again.

Toyota "reliability" ends at 60,0000 miles.:lemon:
    You're one of the lucky ones who did not have to contact Toyota Customer "Care :lemon: ???" with an issue. Also smart enough to bail out at 78,000 miles.

You would think with my 2001 that never towed, never heavy hauled, and maintained according to the service schedule, it could have made it to the 100,000 mark.

Most people I speak to indicate that the major components of a drivetrain should last 100,000 miles, and a manufacturer should be willing to stand behind those major components. The dealer service department indicated that there was not a maintenance problem with the transmission.

It was an "unusual" event; however, they had a replacement in less than 24 hours. Curious that such an unusual mechanical problem has the parts on-hand so readily.

I am happy for you making it without problems. If you DID have problems, you would have experienced another facet to Toyota. I had the experience and it's not worth hoping I don't have a second experience. As you indicate, these trucks are pricey, and customer care :lemon: should be better.

Here's a thought: Do you think that the new Tundra could be an answer to the fact that these problems are beginning to show up in the original "Truck of the Year"?
    I have owned cars and trucks (American and foreign) for over forty years. This is the FIRST :lemon: transmission I ever had to replace.

I don't consider that luck. I maintain my vehicles, meticulously. This "truck" :lemon: did not tow or heavy haul. The service manager who replaced the transmission indicated that it did not fail for maintenance issues.

I don't expect to replace the major components of a drivetrain under 100,000 miles, and I don't think any realistic truck owner buys a TRUCK thinking that he/she will have to replace major drivetrain components. Radiators, belts, oil, filters, tires etc. need to be replaced. Major drivetrain components of vehicles, particularly in this day and age, should make it to 100,000 miles.

I bought this Tundra and my previous T-100 for its advertised durability. It was "babied" by truck standards, and the transmission failed.

Don't pitch a vehicle for durability with 100,000 mile+ ads if you only stand behind it to 60,000 miles.

As I recommended to others:
    After 60,000 miles get rid of the Tundra it's not worth the gamble.

When you buy your next Tundra, do you really anticipate the transmission, serviced according to Toyota's recommended maintenance, will fail BEFORE 100,000 miles?

If it does, would you buy another Tundra?

When you look at the price tag of the 2007, is it worth the bet?
    More importantly, MANY owners are currently having transmission problems

Verifiable stats please. Your personal difficulties seem to have clouded your perception. As noted previously there seem to be many more very happy owners at TS or TN for example who have had few or no problems.

Over on the Problems and Solutions forum your similar rants are receiving similar replies. You seem to be the only one of the 'MANY' having this problem. I'm sorry it occurred to you but it's hardly a trend.
  • phinneas519phinneas519 Member Posts: 113
    It doesn't change that he did everything according to maintenance and the transmission still failed. Even if it was a lemon, Toyota should have good willed the repair and left it at that. Their paltry warranty compares to the only "one leg in" nature of most domestic manufacturers. To sum it up, even if this was an isolated incident, the circumstances demand some sort of recompense or help on Toyota's behalf for a product that was/is obviously poorly manufactured. I can only imagine what the response would have been if this had been about a Dodge Ram, a Ford F150 or a Chevy Silverado, etc. Toyota simply dropped the ball on this one.
    Often this is done if the mileage at the time of the report is close to the upper limit, but not at 87,000 miles. To do so creates no upper limit and the warranty is open-ended. It was clear from the time it was purchased that the upper limit was 60000 mi. 87,000 is too far above IMHO.

To sum it up, even if this was an isolated incident, the circumstances demand some sort of recompense or help on Toyota's behalf for a product that was/is obviously poorly manufactured.

Since neither of us were parties to the 'discussions' your last statement is not accurate. Sell your 8 y.o. car to someone in the newspaper AS IS, then 4 months later have him come back and sit in your driveway demanding that you fix the leaky oil seal or he won't move.

'Honey, call the police.'
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    actually, for some brands, if you have a problem when the published warranty has expired, relief may be still available.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    No one complains about good experiences.

I am not the only voice on the Problems and Solutions Forum indicating transmission issues with the original Tundras

Understand, I was a Toyota advocate, I raved ,not ranted, about the vehicle - UNTIL I had to deal with what I consider an unacceptable issue with a vehicle especially a truck - the failure of a major drivetrain component under 100,000.
    The failure was unacceptable and the response from Toyota was also unacceptable. Especially, when they hype the durability with 100,000+ mile commercials.

The Forum is to let others know what they may encounter regarding vehicles based on experience vs. rhetoric.

What is your personal experience with Tundras that can be added to the discussion?
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    You are obviously entitled to your opinion, which is that your Tundra failed prematurely and that you got the shaft.

Your opinion, however, does not extend to saying that because yours is bad, and because somebody else had problems, they are ALL bad. Consumer Reports's owner survey of the Tundra simply does not support your assertion. Your one vehicle is not a statistically significant sampling of all Tundras. Your experience is an experience of one. It is rhetoric to say they all suck. Your comment above that no one complains about good experiences is exactly right, and there are hundreds of thousands of happy owners versus your experience.

My opinion--I read these forums to research these issues before making a purchase decision, and your experience is certainly relevant to that decision. However, your hyperbole that all Tundras are crap simply is not supported by the body of evidence, your own experience notwithstanding. Given the choice of rolling the dice with Toyota versus a domestic manufacturer, I'll go with Toyota every time.

Regards,
    Tom
    It is in fact rhetoric to say all Tundras suck; that's your statement not mine.

From my experience, owning cars and trucks for over 40 years, domestic and foreign, this is the first transmission that has ever failed. To be honest the "truck" was babied: it never towed, never heavy hauled, and was serviced according to Toyotas posted maintenance schedule. A supposed "truck" transmission should not fail under these conditions.

From my experience, having a friend who is an executive for a domestic auto dealer, he indicates that no component in the drivetrain of any vehicle should fail under less that 100,000 miles without having the auto company standing behind their product and offering some relief to the customer.

From my experiences, I have dealt with car manufacturers who have been willing to ignore warranty mileage and stand behind their product.

From my experience with Toyota service and customer care, I find that the company is NOT willing to stand behind their product.

There are more than one or two issues surfacing about transmission problems with the original Tundra owners on the Forums. There are more than one or two issues concerning Toyota Customer care. :lemon:

The problems are from people who have EXPERIENCE with the Tundra and Toyota Customer care.

Understand, I was a true advocate of the Toyota Tundra. I owned two Toyota trucks. I did the same reading. Now I have experienced what will happen if you do run in to problems with the vehicle. You are going to be on your own after 60,000 miles. That's not hyperbole or rehetroric. That's FACT from experience.

Reading about vehicles and owning and experiencing vehicles is very different. To ignore the experiences of owners is a "roll of the dice." "Experience keeps a dear school, but a fool will learn in no other"

What personal experiences do you have concerning Tundras can be added to the discussion?
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Is the new Tundra going to be at the Los Angles Auto Show this December? Because I looked at Toyota.com/newtundra and they had scheduled the 2007 Tundra to appear there. When I talked to my friend he says they might not the Tundra up for display??? Maybe he's lyiing, or maybe the new Tundra really won't be there. I've been dying to see this truck in person. The photo's on this truck look good but, I want to see how big this truck really is. I use to own a Tundra and I remember standing about 3 inches taller than it. Also will a Deck Rail System be avalible??? Reply back Thanks!!
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    I'm sorry, I have no personal experience owning a Tundra. I cannot personally comment on ownership. In any case, I did not think that Tundra ownership was a requirement to post on these boards. However, if you reread the post, I did not call you a liar or say that your comments were untrue. My comments had nothing to do with your ownership experience.

I am entirely qualified to respond to your comments in the way I did because I have owned about 14 autos in my life, several of them purchased new. It's a fact that the transmission should not fail under the conditions you described. It's also a fact that Toyota owes you nothing. Did you read the warranty? It is a contract, and they don't owe you a thing after it expires. Toyota is some how the bad guy because they didn't fix your problem? If you want a warranty to 100K, buy a Hyundai or an extended warranty.

I am also permitted within my life experience to believe statistics of thousands over one person's experience. As I said before, your experiences are very relevant to someone making a purchase decision. However, one or two people with usernames like "usedtobeloyal" are not going to somehow make me believe that the sky is falling when the great body of evidence is to the contrary. I direct you to my previous comments about drawing conclusions of this nature: serranot, "Festivus Airing of Grievances" #1, 26 Dec 2005 8:24 pm. See number 1.

You're right about being on your own after 60k. My Trooper currently has 82K on it. If the engine blew up, I would be horribly upset, but I wouldn't be crying that Isuzu wouldn't replace the motor. There is no secret understanding that the company somehow owes me something past the warranty period.

Regards,
    Tom
    Appreciate your honesty, concerning your lack of any first-hand experience with the Tundra. I suspect visitors to this forum like to know who is "qualified" to speak about Toyota trucks.

Unlike you, I am an owner of two Toyota trucks. So I'll "bring you up to speed."

We purchase Toyotas because of their reputation. We expect that they will take us 100,000+ miles.

Because of the expected reliability, and, MORE IMPORTANTLY, because Toyota Customer Care was so adamant about replacing a part that they said so infrequently needs repair, I decided to search "Toyota problems" and "Toyota transmission problems" on the internet.

So if you're on this Toyota New Owners Forum looking for a new Tundra, SEARCH THE INTERNET for the experience of other owners.

What I found were two things that were distressing:
    1. Toyota transmissions and other mechanical problems are not unusual. Certainly, not "one person's experience."
    2. Toyota Customer Care :lemon: is unresponsive beyond the dealer, and they often deny there is a problem.

The anecdotal customer experience is eye-opening: One owner had blue smoke coming out of a brand-new Toyota, and Toyota National said it was normal; another owner had a transmission problem and during the meeting the Toyota rep. said he would not have bought the customers truck with the problem he was having - the claim was DENIED because it wasn't a safety issue; a 2005 with 40,000 miles, needs a new engine and Toyota refuses to cover.

If mechanical issues are in fact so uncommon, such as my transmission, why is there such a reluctance to stand behind a vehicle that hypes its reliability?

The reason I am on this forum is because I wish I had the opportunity to read the first hand experiences of Tundra owners BEFORE I bought a Tundra.

With my experience now and with the subsequent information that I found on the internet, there will not be a third Toyota. My recommendation since my first posting: Sell a Toyota after 60,000 miles. As you appropriately stated it is the warranty.

During my search I found some information that best summarizes my opinion, from the ultimate authority on Toyota - the "man behind the curtain" puffing smoke the the Land of Oz:

"[Toyota] recalled nearly 1 million vehicles worldwide in May. Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe apologized in September for the increase in problems."

Caveat Emptor and sell at 60,000 miles.

Thus ends the lesson.
    I PRAY that ends it. The 2007 Tundra is a totally new truck. I come here to learn about the new Tundra not to read about your personal problem with Toyota Customer Service and a pre-2007 Tundra.
    BTW, my wife had the same exact problem with her BMW and they didn't cover the trans either. My wife just smiled and asked "But, isn't this the ultimate driving machine?" BMW still wouldn't cover the Trans but did give her free labor.
    There is only one thing more painful than learning from experience, and that is not learning from experience.
    Experience has taught me that a "Vehicle Of The Year" is unlikely to be a lemon.
    BTW, You said you were done.