Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    The Toyota Tundra will be out by the end of this month. Looks to my perspective the 5.7 L will kick out 375 horsepower/ 405 pounds feet of torque. The 4.7 L V8 kicks out 271 horsepower/313 pounds feet of torque, and 4.0 L V6 will kick out 236 horsepower/266 pounds feet of torque. That looks like a tough line-up. Maybe in 2009 they will also have diesels. ;)
  • toyotadadtoyotadad Member Posts: 6
    5.7 will be rated at 381 horsepower.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Don't think thats really true if you are talking ethanol,
    diesel may be in the works but don't think you will ever see ethanol in a Toyota
  • 1972ck1972ck Member Posts: 56
    Hi,
    I just received an email from corporate today. If you go to www.toyota.com Sunday, Jan. 7th @ 12:10 EST, Toyota is showing off the new Crew Max and releasing the HP and torque ratings officially on the new Tundra. I'll have my laptop all warmed up and ready! :P
  • ltformvpltformvp Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know what the MPG will be on the new 5.7 V8? Will they tell us Jan 7th??? Just saw and drove this new truck at the San Diego Auto show last week and it looks good.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Tomorrow at 12:10. Then the Toyota.com website will be updated.
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Thanks 1972ck
    Maybe the Tundra will hit the showrooms earlier , I have been waiting for months like many Edmunds members.
    If I like this truck I am getting one ASAP.
    Lou
    I know exactly how you feel. (if not worse) After being allowed to look at and drive the new Tundra (in limited time frames) I've been patiently awaiting official spec.s from Toyota. This new Tundra is a BIG deal for Toyota. It will be nice when one finally lands on my dealerships lot. I really would like to take a nice leisurely hour or so drive in one. Watch out "Big 3" there's going to be a new sheriff in town! ;)
    65% of production / sales is expected to be the new Double Cab

V6 4.0L 236 hp
    V8 4.7L 271 hp
    V8 5.7L 381 hp and 401 lb-ft of TQ

Fuel Economy on the 5.7L:
    2WD 16 / 20
    4WD 14 / 18

Pricing later this month. Vehicles begin to arrive in early Feb with the CrewMax 30 Days later.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    381 HP, 401 lb-ft torque, std. VSC and ABS 4Wheel, 5.7 available on all models, 10.5" differential std.

The CrewMax looks pretty good. I like the Double cab better doh. ;)

DrFill
    Wow! You were on the ball & fast! Thanks for posting the info. kdhspyder! I couldn't get logged in to Edmunds
    fast enough.
    I was disappointed Toyota didn't release pricing. The Flexfual tid bit for '09 is interesting. I was hoping for some kind of hint on the diesel Tundra also. No such luck this weekend.
    Agreed on the new Double Cab :)

Originally Posted by willy
    I checked Toyota's website and for clarity when he wrote "2006 C-cab" he was referring to the '06 Access cab. I have included that data again, plus added in the '06 Double Cab interior specs. This is basically the information I have been waiting for most. Things are looking pretty sweet...

2007 C Cab REGULAR BED vs 2006 Access Cab vs 2006 Double Cab

Wheelbase ..145.7" vs 128.3" vs 140.5"

Interior Dim
    Head room f/r .. 40.2/38.7 .. vs .. 40.3/38.3 .. vs .. 41.2/40.2
    leg room f/r ...... 42.5/34.7 .. vs .. 41.5/28.6 .. vs .. 41.6/37.5
    shoulder room f/r .. 66.6/64.7 .. vs .. 62.4/63.2 .. vs .. 62.1/62.2
    hip room f/r ...... 63 / 62.6 .. vs .. 59.3/56.6 .. vs .. 59.7/58.3

So, compared to the '06 Access cab, the '07 C-Cab has 1.0" more front leg room, and 5.9' more rear leg room.

Compared to the '06 Double Cab, the '07 C-Cab has a wheelbase that's 5.2" longer, 0.9" more front leg room, and 2.8" less rear leg room.

The CrewMax isn't an option for me since it comes with a 5.5" bed. It looks like the C-cab will likely suit me just fine! Sweet!

added:
    Good addition by adding the comparo to the 2006 Double Cab..

To complete the 3-way comparo.

Wheelbases ==> Turning Radius
    2007 C Cab ..... 145.7" ==> 44'
    2006 Acc Cab .. 128.3" ==> 44.3'
    2006 Dbl Cab ... 140.5" ==> 47.0' DING!!!

The new C Cab ( 2007 Double Cab ) is far larger than the prior 2006 Access Cab and is just about the same size inside as the prior 2006 Double Cab but it turns and handles better than the 2006 Acc Cab.

Collabrative post from Ts earlier today.
    2007 Toyota Tundra 2x4 Double Cab

Engine: 5.7 L V8 32 Valves
    Horsepower/torque: 381hp/401 lbs ft torque
    Towing: 10,600 lbs
    Payload: 2050 lbs
    Tires: 18"/20"
    Seating: 6
    Speakers: 6
    Transmission: 6 speed auto.

Let's see Chevy, Ford, and Dodge do that! Toyota Tundra in my eyes will sell around 300k-450k units! Toyota dealership will have the Tundra's in showrooms by January 22, 2007!
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    In my case, is a dumb idea from Toyota not to offer AWD capabilities on the Tundra. When you only have one car, you should have the possibilities of using it on light snow or rain with the security of AWD. I have a Subaru, but need a pickup, so I've been waiting for the Tundra. Now only the Ridgeline (hate the style and steering mounted stick) and the Dakota (no way) have it.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Since you are the first person I've ever heard in 30 years ask for AWD on a full-sized P/U, I guess you will have to go forward and multiply.

Good luck, mine friend.

DrFill
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    Very nice, it will do very very well. I am in the market soon and will likely get one.

Two things I don't like--the pod-centric design of the gauge cluster, and the lack of availability of a larger fuel tank. The fuel tank thing is imporant to me, and 26 gallons is not a lot.

Nice truck, though. Head and shoulders above others.

Regards,
    Tom
    I think he took a wrong turn at the closed down Midsized Sedan thread.. ;)
    You can use a 4x4 with TRD off road package. Beside 401 pounds feet of torque along with 381 horsepower will turn snow into water it's alot of power. ;)
    Nicely said. It's a good thing Toyota has included traction control w/ the ALSD. With those torque numbers your gonna' need something to assist with wheel slippage. Smoke 'em if you got 'em! :shades:
    Next month I'm getting a 2007 Toyota Tundra w/ 5.7 L hell with the Ram. The Tundra also looks better. Toyota Tundra 2x4 w/ TRD off road Double Cab in Gray! ;)
  • ackboaterackboater Member Posts: 19
    I went to toyota.com and checked out the 2007 Tundra. I noticed two things.
    1) Is some of the pictures, the shift handle was on the steering column and some other pictures the shifter is on the floor. I thought it was supposed to be on the floor.
    2) In some pictures, the outside mirrors stick waaaaaay out and in some pictures they are closer to the truck.

I'm not going to buy the new Tundra if the mirrors stick that fat out from the vehicle. And I hoped the shifter would be on the floor.

Discuss
    It depends on the package that you get. If you get the Tow/Haul package then you get the extendalbe mirrors. If you order the bench in front then you get the shifter on the column.
  • ackboaterackboater Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for that, kdhspyder.
  • muskyfevermuskyfever Member Posts: 20
    It really cracks me up to see American made truck owners come to the "Toyota Tundra" message board and start trying to rip the new Toyota Tundra. If they were so happy with their Fords, Chevys, and Dodges I think they would be off doing other things but it looks like they are insecure with their trucks and have come here to put down the new Tundra.

Are they mad that the new Toyota Tundra has 381HP and 401 foot pounds of torque? Are they mad that the new Tundra looks better than any American truck rival? Are they mad that a rice burner company like Toyota has actually and finally built a real truck that should be better and is more powerful than their almighty American made muscle?
    And the interior of the Tundra by FAR beats any of the American trucks with their 2 dollar dashboards and crummy fake wood.

Are they mad that Toyota seems to be thriving while the Big 2 and Dodge seem to be folding? Are they just showing their nationilistic prejudice towards a superior company/truck?

I would guess YES on all those questions. Once people jump in the new Tundra they are going to love it and if they don't it's only because of pure nationalistic prejudice.

The Tundra is made in the U.S.A also. Half the American trucks you buy are built in Mexico. How about them apples?
    Keep talking brother, let the rednecks were thier american trucks are build!
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    quote: Keep talking brother, let the rednecks were thier american trucks are build!

Wow! My head hurts just looking at that sentence.
    As soon as the CrewMax arrives at the Toyota dealership close to my home
    I am buying one , most likely ordering one .
    A Limited , 5.7 L , 4X4 , Salsa Red with a few options : 20" wheels ; Navigation ; Front and Rear sonar ; Moonroof ; Mud Guards ; Running Boards V8 Tow Package ; Cold Weather Package .
    I'll have to wait till March that's what I read in Edmunds , I am in no rush.
    Hopefully the dealers won't gouge the prices too much !!
    Lou
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    Any actual 2007 Tundra owners in this discussion board?
    I was following the discussion topic and see "2007 Toyota Tundra New Owner's Report" but I don't seem to see any posting from acutal 07 owners.
    The first trucks will only arrive in about 3 weeks.
  • urtundraexperturtundraexpert Member Posts: 20
    hey you dont see any 07 truck owners on here because the trucks won't hit the ground until feb 12 - 16. The crew max will be ready to drive come march to april. But i have had the chance to drive the double cab and the crew max. Toyota launched a program called "Prove It". I drove the new chevy,the ford "dog", Titan, dodge for comparison. Remember that all the featured comp is the norm for the half ton truck segment. The term prove it is to show how the bar has raised and leaves all others in the dust.Toyota has changed the design from the wheels up. How about the 3 inch lcd abouve the rearview mirror for the camera on the tail gate handle.
    Being a sales rep myself I can tell you that most dealerships won't go abouve sticker. This is due to competition. But I can tell you that Dbl Cabs and Crew Max 5.7 will go for M.S.R.P. for along time. I have driven both and its well worth every penny.
    Hi urtundraexpert.
    It seems we have all kinds of specs but no pricing , but if the new Tundra pricing is competitive with the others " 3 " brands I won't mind paying MSRP , for a head to toe new vehicle .
    Everything I have read plus all the pictures I have seen about the Tundra I love it.
    Of course I need to test drive it for at least 45 minutes city and highway speeds .
    Hope the front bucket seats are comfortable for long distance driving.
    I will probably end up ordering one so I can get the options I want instead of what the dealer has on the lot.
    Lou
    for pricing you can expect toyota.com to show price 1-2 weeks befor the tundra is launched. Yea I would def check out how the six speed tranny work for you on the highway and the saddle like leather seats and they are really comfortable. if it towing your doing you will be glad to know the truck comes with an oil cooler, trannhy cooler, and a power steering fluid cooler. If you live in the eastern part of the country you can expect all double cabs and crew max to come with a tow package. the tundras 5.7 has a real growl to eat stock even compared to the dodge. The tundra 5.7 d cab in about 310 ft strip got up to 42 mph while the comp got up to alittle over 32 mph and thats with 900 pounds payload on it. it got better iwht a landscaping trailer on back too.
    Punctuation is your friend. Complete thoughts and sentences help you to get taken seriously. It's like being dressed properly for work.
    thanks mom :blush: . If you don't take me seriously thats fine. Did you get to drive the truck yet? oh wait you suck thats right.
    I've done the same Ride and Drive as you have. I've driven all 5 trucks several times. I was trying to save you the embarrassment of having your potential clients ask how old you were. Adult businessmen write and speak in complete thoughts and sentences. It's cool to talk smack on the lot but it's not professional when people are looking to get a lot of detailed information on what is likely the most important new vehicle in Toyota's lineup now.

Don't drive away your clientele by talking and acting like a 7-11 clerk. They are thinking of spending $35-$50K and they expect to deal with someone who is as serious as they are.

Read some of the other forums here at Edmunds. One of the key comments/complaints is that buyers refuse to take salespeople seriously because the typical salesperson
    a) generally know nothing;
    b) acts like they're just out of high school;
    c) isn't serious when a buyer is intending to spend $30-$40K.

Helpful advice. Use it or don't. Don't be surprised though if your comments aren't given much weight if they're not well written and focused.
  • bikehaulerbikehauler Member Posts: 3
    I don't believe this for a minute. You can ALWAYS and I repeat ALWAYS negotiate with an honest, hungry dealership!

I will most likely end up getting a new CrewMax loaded between when they hit the showroom and June of 2007 and I guarantee I won't be paying MSRP! Now I don't expect them to be selling them at or near invoice like GM, Ford, Dodge, etc and I have no doubt that many people will end up paying full MSRP for them but to imply that noone will deal on these trucks for a long time is misleading.
    Well all the salesman will say to is "Next"
    I am surprised you southern folk know what a complete senstence consist of. Thanks for the advice kdhspyder.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/ Check this site out kdhspyder it will help you.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    are not allowed in the Forums. First and only warning.

kcram - Pickups Host
    ESL? Yep I thought so.

Born and raised in NY. Retired to the beach here after 30 yrs in NYC. Your sentences are improving but you brought a knife to a gunfight son.

BTW, a preposition is something with which a sentence you do not end. You're welcome.
    Correct quotation and attribution:

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."

Sir Winston Churchill
    To get to the numbers that we need to be at Tundra's will have to be discounted from the word go! Truck market isn't like other markets and we are not going to sell any where close to 300,000 unless we are flexible with the customers. We will make profit but it will be nothing like the FJ's. You probably where not out of highschool yet when the Tundra came out in 2000 but we did not hold to sticker longer than 30 days then.
    One sell at the start could result in 20 later on. Happy customers tell others where they bought, ones who think they got ripped off never refer the salesman to others
  • bikehaulerbikehauler Member Posts: 3
    pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered."

With a little work, that could be turned into a cool haiku... ;)

lessee...

modest pigs eat on
    greedy hogs with throats pumping
    dump blood to the ground

Now, what the heck that has to do with the new Tundra, I have NO idea..... :confuse:
    Just drove by my local Toyota dealer and they have the 2007 Tundra brochures , but no price list , to me it means that the trucks are not far behind.
    I am looking forward to test drive one of this big boys.
    Lou
    We have 23 in our system for the first 30 days. About 10 of them are at the railhead ready to be shipped on or about Feb 10th.

There seems to be some 'discussion' within Toyota about the pricing levels.
    Scuttlebutt puts price around 3% more than 2006 models.
    with Side airbags and VSC and traction control standard that might mean over all price would be less than 2006 models
    Sounds typical and very smart given that two of the main three are in the midst of 'take it at any price' campaigns.