Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I saw the new Tundra commercial last night when watching the NBA Cavs. V. Nuggets. The commercial has some humor,here's what the announcer says "For the last 10 years full size half ton trucks have made under 380 pounds feet of torque, you wanted 401 lb ft of torque....that's alot of gravey." and the second one,"For years full size half ton trucks have used 4 speed automatic transmissions, you wanted a 6 speed automatic trnsmission......happy birthday! Kind of funny the truck on the commercial looked very nice!
  • 1972ck1972ck Member Posts: 56
    Hi kdhspyder,
    Yeah, our dealership has received about the same allocation as yours. In our region we're not receiving any D-Cabs with the TM, (tow mirrors) only HM. (heated mirrors) I called our Truck Manager and tried to FRS change some of our incoming Double Cabs w/ the 5.7 liter. Toyota won't let us FRS change anything for the 1st 6 mos.(which I can understand, production is already scheduled to be built a certain way) Is your region getting TM equipped D-Cabs? We can get the TM on Reg.Cab 5.7 tow pkg. equipped Tundras ONLY. I've got numerous customers begging for tow mirrors for their D-Cab orders and (coming soon) Crew Max trucks. And you can NOT port install TM. The brochures show the TM on the Crew and D's. I sure hope my region changes it's mind soon. I've got guys who tow a lot of "toys" and equipment trailers ie: plumbers, contractors that really feel they NEED the TM. They are accustomed to having them on their current GMC and Ford trucks. And they ALL want the 5.7 with the tow package. None of whom want to wait another 6 mos. to get expandable tow mirrors. They feel as though they have waited long enough for the new Tundra to be released. I can't disagree with anything they're saying/asking for. If your region is making the same "mistake" call your Regional Truck Manager and let him know. Let me know what's, what in your region. Thanks!
    Hi,
    I've been reviewing the 2007 Tundra brochure at home today. On the page where it describes the rear ring gear and transmission it has a small section in the middle about the "Transmission Heating and Cooling" It states that the 5.7/6spd. auto equipped Tundras come with a transmission fluid warmer as well as the cooler. Trans. coolers I am familiar with...the "warmer" I am not. I understand why Toyota is equipping them w/ the warmer but I am unware of how it actually works. Is it an electric heat element? Does it use the warm coolant from the engine via passages in the block beside it? I do not recall anyone explaining anything about this feature (ATF warmer) in Indiana at the Truck Champion Seminar or at our launch that was held in Boston, MA for our region. I need to understand how this feature works so I can explain it properly to consumers coming in to my dealership's showroom. I can't find any explaination anyway as to HOW it works. Help! :confuse:
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Hi guys , a friend who is a Toyota salesman mention that the leather seats are not very comfortable they feel like a park bench.
    Has anyone who have sat inside the cab experience front seat discomfort.
    If this is correct I wonder if it can be treated like a new baseball glove and use the " good old " Saddle Soap.
    I have waited a long time for this truck , I hope that for long distances they would feel nice and comfy.
    I am aiming for the CrewMax , oh yes , 5.7 Limited with as many bells and whistles as my pocket book can afford.
    Lou
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I did sit in and drive one. Like most Toyotas and Hondas the seats are 'firm', but ;) ,,, oh nevermind.

The leather version will probably take some breaking in as you say just like a baseball glove.
    Thanks kdhspyder.
    I am a heavy guy after a few days it could comfort to my butt.
    In less than 2 weeks we should all find out.
    Do you know the exact release date ?? Is it February ???
    Thanks again.
    Lou
    In my last message I was searching for someone to inform me about the ATF warmer. I was reading the lastest issue of "MOTOR" magazine. It's an "insider" publication for auto tech.s and the like. The ATF warmer uses the warm coolant from the engine block to heat the ATF. This helps with cold weather warm ups.(for the tranny) This is especially crucial in colder climates with someone how wishes to use their new Tundra to tow with in colder months of the year. Also with this system, it will most certain help with longevity of the transmission by keeping the viscosity of the ATF right where it needs to be! It utilizes a thermostat to allow the heated coolant to enter it's chamber. Metal ATF lines run through the unit. When the ATF is warm enough it simply shuts off the coolant flow to it via the aforemention thermostat. Great, innovative idea by Toyota! This is just one more reason why Toyota is going to take the full sized pick up world by storm! Your customers are waiting! :shades:
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Feb 12 is supposd to be the exact date but some dealers might have them a little earlier
    Thank you.
    Lou
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    I really like the overall package that Toyota is offering with this truck. It looks like it will be good for their bottom line and for customers alike. However, I am a little torn between getting a long bed double-cab and the crew max. My main concern with the crew max is being able to haul long items. I know the rear window comes down and I know that we should start to see some ladder frames that could be used to tie items above the roof, but if anybody has had experience using a short-bed truck to take long items, I would certainly like to hear your thoughts... what were the benefits if any? What were some of the problems/shortcomings? Were there any specific problems with the short bed that I should be aware of? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Thanks dreasdad.
    The CrewMax Limited 4X4 , 5.7 L , MSRP $41850 , I not going to rush to the Toyota dealership anytime soon, unless they are willing to deal .
    I still remember awhile back the pricing for the new SUV Sequoia they wanted MSRP , plus a couple grands above that.
    I might go and test drive this new beast , with a different frame of mind.
    By adding Navigation , Moonroof , TRD Off-Road , Tow Pkg. , XM Radio , the Tundra will be pushing 50,000 , plus TTL . WOW !!!!!!
    I will need to come out of retirement to purchase this awesome truck.
    Lou
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    Folks,

Saw the new Tundra at the DC Auto Show. Sat in both a Limited and SR5 double cab. Very very nice. The seats are wonderful. Nice and firm with great thigh support. Loved it. Hope the prices come down at some point.

Tom
    I think it will be really tough for Toyota to meet their numbers with the prices they are quoting. No offense to Toyota, but they are going to have to knock off at least $5K on most models to compare to their well-entrenched domestic competition. I don't pretend to be a fan of the Big 3's products, but in the auto industry you have to do better than just build something good... you have to build it better than the competion AND be more valuable... that means price has to be close to equal or less. I think Toyota misses the mark on this... what person is going to spend close to $50K for a decked out crew-max 1/2 ton truck? Even more disconcerting... the entry level work truck is $22,290... that impacts fleet sales for construction companies. All-in-all, I can safely say that the new Tundra won't make it to my list unless there are some substantial price discounts... and that isn't likely to happen for at least another year. The Silverado and Titan are looking a lot better...
    I guess that depends a lot on which model/trim you are interested to buy.

Regular Cab? Titan is definitely out
    Upper trims? The Siverado is $2000 - $4000 higher than the Tundra
    Middle model/trim? The Silvy and Tundra are almost exactly the same.

Agreed on the work truck segment beginning at $22000
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    According to the pre-production sample, the Tundra is the best.

But you also want a lower price than the vehicles it bests?

Not likely.

If you want cheese on your Whopper, pay for it. This is no Soup Kitchen. If you can't hack it, Ford and Nissan will pay you to buy thurs. :confuse:

I love truck buyers, getting Crew Cabs, 380HP engines, Moonroofs, NAV, 20", all these things they don't need, then complain that it's too expensive.....

DrFill
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    does NOT list for $40k+? They all do. Frankly, I was expecting higher prices for the Tundras.
  • trucktrickstrucktricks Member Posts: 45
    The ATF warmer is just extra claptrap with no real benefit. With today’s modern ATFs (especially the synthetics), it takes -20 F before the trans fluid temperature is a concern. This is basically Alaska and points north.

And of course, virtually all automatic transmissions are warmed by the engine coolant since they use water-to-oil coolers in the radiator. Yes, I know the thermostat has to be open to get the warmed water circulating but this happens very quickly with aluminum block engines burning gasoline (as opposed to diesel).

Bottom line, this “feature” makes for good brochures but has no substance.
    Plain and simple , is human nature to complain about anything that does not conform with our expectations.
    Point in case , me , I complain about the price and DrFill is correct if the price would have been lower I would have also complain or better yet I would have thrown a temper tantrums , if the truck I would like to buy is cheaper than the others.
    A few options I really don't need but is good to have like 4X4 , Tow/Haul , 5.7 L . , etc...
    Nevertheless I am looking forward to test drive this truck , if for a far fetch reason dealer and buyer agree on a good price , I will buy one if not I will wait for " December to Remember Sales " . I refuse to pay MSRP .
    Lou
  • dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    Drove past the Toyota Dealership in Billings, MT, and on there lot sitting was a new white 07 Reg Cab Tundra. Did not stop to look at it. Had an appointment.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    I will buy one if not I will wait for " December to Remember Sales"

Thats Lexus, Toyota is Toyotathon!!!!!!
    Oops !!!!!!!!!!!! My bad .

Lou
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    I don't think I could have said it better. :D
    But be prepared to pay. Nissan, Ford, and Dodge HAVE TO play the value/price card, because they are day-old eggs.

If a fully loaded 4X4 5.4 Limited Tundra runs 0-60 in 6.3, what would the Reg Cab 4X2, minus about 500 lbs., do?

Toyota will sell 175k Tundras this year, close to 250k next year.

DrFill
    Very accurate IMO.
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    I got people. Will pay cost value. I saw the Tundra for the first time yesterday! I was like a kid in a candy store. I had to educate their sales people who were not very knowledgeable. My wife is concerned it won't fit in the garage. She may be right with the tow mirrors.
    I'm not saying that other fully-loaded full-size trucks don't eclipse the $40K mark, but most of the time there is a min of $5K taken off that price. Heck, in MD I see commercials on TV where they take $12K off the price during summer and fall blow-outs to get rid of inventory. But my point is this... the Tundra is a Toyota and is unlikely to get discounted at all during the year. So, the sticker price is going to be what to expect and that will be MSRP (and I imagine a few dealerships will charge a premium).
    Point is, it isn't good to compare the new Tundra with other vehicle's MSRP because they are discounted so much that their real-world price is much less. It is like paying MSRP at Dell, nobody does it because there is a different sale every single week so the regular price becomes meaningless.
    Anyhow, with a high starting price on their low models, I don't see how Toyota will make their numbers. Construction crews are not going to pay that much money for their trucks and there isn't enough consumer demand for large trucks withe gas prices being what they are to narrow that gap. My guess is that by the end of the year they may sell 160K of the vehicles and possibly 200K the following year.
    The Tundra-based Sequoia coming out for 2008 should be interesting to see as well... I wonder how it will compare to the Tahoe and Expedition...
    Since this is a short ramp-up year the Tundra won't hit 200K this year. San Antonio isn't going to start on the CrewMax until August. It's only going to a 2nd shift in July.

This will be roughly a 'half year' or 'two-thirds year'. All bets are off if gas goes to $3/Gal and stays there.

200K+ is probable IMO for next year, depending on fuel, depending on initial acceptance, depending on the other competitors, etc.
    Hi kdhspyder.
    CrewMax in August ???
    Edmunds' posts mention release date of March for the CrewMax .
    Which date is the correct one ??
    Thanks .
    Lou
    Indiana began CrewMax production this week. That's the first March arrivals.

San Antonio is scheduled AFAIK to begin CrewMax's in August ( maybe as '08's )
    Thanks again .

If I want to order a Tundra with specific options, do you know how long will it take ?

One more thing what does AFAIK stands for ?

Lou
    AFAIK As Far As I Know ;) you can order at any time if it's not too ourtrageous. Which options do you want to order
    Well , I would like the CrewMax , Limited , 4x4 , 5.7 L , Tow Pkg. , Navigation with Backup Camera , Moonroof , Front and Rear Parking Sensors .
    These options would be nice , depends mainly on the $$$$ sign and the front seat comfort.
    I presume many of the options are port install and just a hand full are factory .
    Thank you , kdhspyder
    Lou
    You will be able to get all of these on your Ltd CrewMax in April/May. All the ones you listed are FIO's
    Thanks again.
    By waiting till April or May I get the chance to read the actual owners' reviews , not only from Edmunds but others automobile magazine reports.
    And I will have time to test drive different configurations and with calm choose the right
    Tundra for me.
    Lou
  • bluemantoybluemantoy Member Posts: 1
    If you don't know yet here are the prices.

Complete price list including $645 destination fee:
    Regular Cab Tundra Standard Bed 4.0L V6 (4x2) - $22,935
    Regular Cab Tundra Long Bed 4.0L V6 (4x2) - $23,265
    Regular Cab Tundra Standard Bed 4.7L V8 (4x2) - $25,075
    Regular Cab Tundra Standard Bed 4.7L V8 (4x4) - $27,770
    Regular Cab Tundra Long Bed 4.7L V8 (4x2) - $25,455
    Regular Cab Tundra Long Bed 4.7L V8 (4x4) - $27,455
    Regular Cab Tundra Standard Bed 5.7L V8 (4x2) - $25,025
    Regular Cab Tundra Standard Bed 5.7L V8 (4x4) - $28,085
    Regular Cab Tundra Long Bed 5.7L V8 (4x2) - $25,355
    Regular Cab Tundra Long Bed 5.7L V8 (4x4) - $28,415
    Double Cab SR5 Standard Bed 4.0L V6 (4x2) - $26,750
    Double Cab SR5 Standard Bed 4.7L V8 (4x2) - $27,495
    Double Cab SR5 Standard Bed 4.7L V8 (4x4) - $30,545
    Double Cab SR5 Long Bed 4.7L V8 (4x2) - $27,825
    Double Cab SR5 Long Bed 4.7L V8 (4x4) - $30,755
    Double Cab SR5 Standard Bed 5.7L V8 (4x2) - $28,110
    Double Cab SR5 Standard Bed 5.7L V8 (4x4) - $31,805
    Double Cab SR5 Long Bed 5.7L V8 (4x2) - $29,085
    Double Cab SR5 Long Bed 5.7L V8 (4x4) - $32,135
    Double Cab Limited Standard Bed 4.7L V8 (4x2) - $34,885
    Double Cab Limited Standard Bed 4.7L V8 (4x4) - $37,935
    Double Cab Limited Standard Bed 5.7L V8 (4x2) - $36,135
    Double Cab Limited Standard Bed 5.7L V8 (4x4) - $39,195
    CrewMax SR5 4.7L V8 (4x2) - $30,320
    CrewMax SR5 4.7L V8 (4x4) - $33,370
    CrewMax SR5 5.7L V8 (4x2) - $31,580
    CrewMax SR5 5.7L V8 (4x4) - $34,630
    CrewMax Limited 4.7L V8 (4x2) - $38,185
    CrewMax Limited 4.7L V8 (4x4) - $41,235
    CrewMax Limited 5.7L V8 (4x2) - $39,435
    CrewMax Limited 5.7L V8 (4x4) - $42,495

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2007/163_news070126_2007_toyota_tundra/
  • ackboaterackboater Member Posts: 19
    Toyota's website has pricing available now for the new Tundras.
    I cant believe it yesterday when I bought my new Lexus, I was driving across the Toyota dealership and saw the '07 Tundra standard cab w/ 4.7 L V8, I stoped and checked it out, the truck looked nice(probally a prototype), the seats were comfortable, but the price was way to high, the sales man told me that the model I was looking at (Standard Cab w/ 4.7 L 4X4) was about 24K. I was blown away, a bottom of the line Tundra worth as much as a top of the line Tacoma. You could get a Dodge Ram 1500 w/ 4.7 L 4x4 for about 19K, or F150 regular cab w/ 4.6 L 4x4 for 17K. Right now probally until August or September the prices will be high.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    I think your assessment is just a teeny bit off- you did look at the model w/ a 4.7 liter engine not the 4.0 and it did have 4WD. I would hardly characterize this Tundra as being the bottom of the line.
    Just for fun- I configured a few Tacomas with "desirable" packages to make it pretty loaded and the MSRP's were way over 24k.
    Yeah, the MSRPs of the domestics are definitely in the mid 20's on a model like that.

I would know, since I sold for Dodge earlier this year!

Cash on the hood is a different story, but a V8 4X4 is a $25k truck, no matter where you go.

Tacomas don't have V8s, I think a V6 Tundra would've made a point.

DrFill
    I thought you could get a V-6 in the double cab 2007 Tundra but when I tried to build my own Tundra on Toyota's website, It looks like it is not an option.

Discuss.
  • dssnuffydssnuffy Member Posts: 39
    The V6 is available in the Double Cab with the 5 speed tranny and the 4x2. Probably with the bulkier transmission and drive system only the V8 are available.

There is not much difference in the gas mileage, though which I like.
    It was almost bottom of the line, the optional stuff it had were the 4.7 L V8, 5 speed auto., and bedliner. Oh yes I am wrong I rechecked the prices for Ford and Dodge and their around the same area as the Tundra.Plus the Tacoma w/o the 4x4 package are around 24K.

P.S The thing was not a TOY, this is as big, if not bigger than any other fullsize halfton V8 pickup I've seen yet!
  • tabctabc Member Posts: 1
    I saw the first one at the dealer today. There were 4 of them (2) 4.7, (2) 5.7. One was an SR5 the other was a limited. It was everything I thought it was going to be. I was driving about FORTY MPH & I smashed the pedal. The next thing you know our heads wiped back, NICE. Boy it realy get moving QUICK, there was almost no hesitation. One of the only bad things that I saw were the door panels, they looked to cheap! The navigation with the camera has a very wide lens and it is very clear. The sound system was great. I have read a lot of review about the seats I thought they very comfortable both the SR5 & the Limited. Oh-yeah the ones I saw were not marked up.
  • ccsargenccsargen Member Posts: 8
    I test drove the 5.7 L w/the tow package. The first thing I noticed was how quite it was. For a large truck w/a lot of power it was very quite. I was not very impressed w/the interior though. For lack of better words, it seemed cheap. I do how ever love the back windows going all the way down in the double cab; my dog will love that! I did not get to see a limited, I really want to comapare the two. As far as the outside of the truck goes, there were three things I did not like: First, the gas cap and the gas cap hinge were both plastic, it felt really cheap! Second, on the bottom of the cab I saw orange peel. The salesman told me this was for road protection, either way it looks bad. Third, no color matching door handles or mirrors. This was a bad idea by Toyota. I know that the limited will have chrome handles, but I like the color matching look better. As far as I know there is no option for this!? It seems to me that Toyota put all of the money into the engine, frame, tranny, brakes, etc...... Don't get me wrong, this is definetly not a bad thing. I give the truck an 8 of 10. It is probably the best truck on the road, but not a total package.....yet!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    AutoObserver.com

Well-known automotive writer Michelle Krebs is the senior editor and starts the new site with an article regarding the new Tundra, "Truck Wars: Toyota Challenges Detroit Loyalty"

Be sure to give it a read!

kcram - Pickups Host
    Second, on the bottom of the cab I saw orange peel. The salesman told me this was for road protection, either way it looks bad.

That's not oranage peel. Its a special plastic/paint application that is extra durable to keep road, and off-road, debris from chipping the bottoms of the painted panels. It's been used for years on various vehicles with good results.

your opinion of its look is valid though. I never pay any attention to it. But then I 'key' all my vehicles the day I get them and don't worry about appearances, or dings or chips ever again.

I agree that it appears that they put all the money into the go, stop, pull stuff.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    You sure you want a TRUCK? Kind of sounds like you want a Buick or a van with a wheel chair ramp.
    CK
  • ccsargenccsargen Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the clarification on that. I have had many trucks for several years and have never noticed excessive dings at that location. Granted I only use my trucks to pull boats and other small trailers, all on the highways. I wonder if they will make a truck that is not geared specifically at contractor type people in the near future; and I am not referring to a truck like the Limited. I live in AZ and would rather not have leather! Something more like the TRD Sport. Anyhow, it still looks kick butt!
    What are we looking to get here? I'm not impressed with my 6 cylinder Tacoma's mileage. Only 15mpg!!!