Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    LOTS OF PICS HERE">link title

http://www.pbase.com/tornadoalleyhoops/tundra
  • ccsargenccsargen Member Posts: 8
    Your statement shows how incredibly uneducated you are. The Tundras are made in America now! Please go back to the Titan forum!
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Wow, that is a really good looking truck... Love it in the Triple-Black. Thanks for the pics Dave40!
  • andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    Wow nice truck. Really looks cool in black. Congrats !!!!! Let us know what kind of gas mileage you are getting. Enjoy your new ride :shades:
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    Great pics Dave! I hope you can report back with some numbers like mpg and such. Let us know how it does in the snow and ice. Are you going to get a bed cover? I found a company that makes folding aluminum covers, but not sure if they have one for the 07 Tundra yet... they did the 06s before so I gotta think that one is coming soon...
  • ackboaterackboater Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know if the remote engine start is an option? Or does the dealer have to install it. And please let us know what you new Tundra owners are getting for fuel mileage. Thanks in advance.
    I would bet on it. Factory system as well. Even the Camry and RAV4 have it as options.
    I went to the Toyota site tobuild and price a new Tundra and found that there are (at the moment) only two configurations. I was really hoping to get a single cab with the short box. With the new 5.7 that would be a blast to drive and since I would be using it for homeowner duty, the short box would be more asthetically pleasing as well as more managable in size..

Oh well, probably not much demand for such thing. :(
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Congrats on your new truck. Not my cup of tea but did like the pics. :)

Rocky
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    If you haven't seen it yet get a look at the Reg Cab Std bed. The short box would be way too small with that huge Reg Cab. The std box looks small.
  • rmartinez1rmartinez1 Member Posts: 12
    Well one week with my new Tundra and I love 99% of it. The tow mirrors are hard to get use to. Here in Texas every Tundra has a tow package and tow mirrors and I now wish that it would have come with ordinary side mirrors. They are so hard to get use to and I always feel that I have a blind spot on the right. They have a weird magnification on the right side that makes you think that a vehicle is right behind you when it really is about half a block back :confuse: . I keep adjusting the mirrors but they never seem right. I wish I could trade them out for regular mirrors. Gas mileage is about 15 mpg with mostly highway miles and some city driving. Hope the mileage gets better.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    that may just be in your area. I hve already gotten in and sold a reg cab short bed 5.7, it was a 4x4 though. With our zip code (78745) it shows as an availabe build on the sim.
    Really depends on your area and the size of the dealer, some areas are going to get more trucks than others. Also depends on if you asked for something diffrent hna how they normaly build it.
  • 07wildbill07wildbill Member Posts: 29
    ANY NEW OWNER REPORTS OF HIGHWAY & CITY M.P.G. ON THE 5.7 DOUBLE CAB.THANKS
    15 MPG MOSTLY HIGHWAY DRIVING? THIS IS NOT GOOD.HAVE YOU HAD A CHANCE TO TAKE A 100 MILE HIGHWAY TRIP YET?
    take the caps lock off
    need about 5000 miles to break in.

Also you have to ask first if the driver, and the questioner, understand what the EPA numbers mean and how they are determined.

There is a huge misunderstanding from 98% of the population on what the current EPA numbers represent. Are they clear to you?
    the hell with e.p.a.i want road reality check from the owner.do you own a 07 tundra? if you do, whats the mpg figures so far.
    i agree 100%, great truck.i to will wait 6 months.we should really know by then.
  • bgil1bgil1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi ..1st post

Last night I drove home in my 2007 sr5 double cab. White exterior with black interior. Mine has the 4.7 engine.I traded in a 2004 ram 3/4 ton cummins..I now have about 120 miles on the tundra and it is a fantastic truck. Drives great, rides like a dream. Typical toyota quality. I had a 2000 tundra and this one is quite different. Much larger and heavier. I don't know what kind of mileage I will get but I will post it when I see it.
    It's the same for all vehicles. The fuel economy is greatly dependent on how the driver uses the vehicle and what the conditions outside are. Asking for a number is just like looking at the EPA numbers on the window sticker.

A number means nothing without the proper context. To get a real value it almost requires a copilot to plot
    Termperature outside;
    wind speed and direction;
    highway speed plus distance and length of trip;
    suburban speed plus distance and length of trip;
    city speed plus distance and length of trip;
    Road conditions ( wet, dry, snowy, etc );
    No of passengers and weight of cargo;
    towing weight if any;
    terrain driven;

Each of these plotted over many tanks over several weeks will give an average for that season. Then a new plot should be done for the next season.

Over at Ts there are long discussions and rancor between some who get 20 mpg regularly and others who can't get above 15 mpg. Why the differences? See above.
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Presently , I drive a Lexus LX470 a very heavy SUV close to 3 tons . On a last drive to Miami on I-95, the round trip was over 550 miles I average 19.2 mpg driving between 75 and 85 mph., using premium gas.
    Under the hood I got the I-Force 4.7L ( great engine), 5 speed , using the AC the whole
    trip of which 80 % was on the highway.
    Like kdhspyder says is who drive's the vehicles and in what condition, not two people drive the same consequently we will get different mileage.
    In a few months after the hoopla is gone and my local dealership is ready to deal , I will be driving another sweet beast, I have my sight set on the CrewMax , Limited with the 5.7L with 4X4 capabilities and many others options .
    This past Wednesday I finally tested the Tundra , I love it , sign me in .
    When September rolls in and December is lurking around the corner and the arrogance have met the grim ripper , I will come by and see if they are ready, prime ready to sit and deal.
    Lou
  • rbk2rbk2 Member Posts: 2
    If you need/want a truck, why wait for discounts. Just go out and buy one. Toyota is not going to reduce the price nor will they offer substantial discounts anytime soon. If you have driven the 07 you will understand. I bought the double cab, sr5, 4x4, 5.7 which is the exact model, color and trim I wanted. Yes I did pay sticker price but I recieved 23,000 for trade in on my 05 Tundra that I purchased 2 1/2 years ago brand new for 27, 200.

Did I get a good deal or was I taken. It doesn't matter, I liked the truck. Botton line, no truck or vehicle is perfect. What difference does it make if the truck gets 14 or 18 mpg they're both lousy figures. I've owned chevy and ford 250 during the past 20 years and had very good luck with both.

Life is short. Just by whatever vehicle you like and enjoy it while you can!
    i'am hoping there is no problems with the ball joints.some guy in denver was stopped at a red light in his tundra and the wheel came off.ball joints serious problems.go to toyota recall, check it out.3 people have serious injuries.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Just to be clear- the recall is on the previous generation Tundra & Sequoia- not the NEW 07 Tundra.
    recall onthe ball joints is old news- where did you see anything about injuries?

this forum shoul dbe about the new 2007 Tundra not old news and rumors
    ?
  • toykickstoykicks Member Posts: 95
    See the issue with the older tundras was that toyota built the old tundras axles to snap off when involved in a accident and people who lifted them above 3 inches with small lift kits would cause extra stress and damage their cv boots & ball joints etc. The only way to avoid that was to change the A arms and other suspension parts. I've seen it happen to some silvys also, people dont properly lift their trucks and just add spacers and big tires and snap their axles.
    GO TO 4X4WIRE.COM'S CHECK THIS OUT...
    In brief, from Reuters:

Toyota Motor Corp. said on Friday it would recall about 533,000 Sequoia SUVs and Tundra pickup trucks in the United States to repair faulty components that could make the vehicles difficult to steer.

The recall covers certain 2004 to 2007 model year Sequoias and 2004 to 2006 model year Tundras, the Japanese auto maker's U.S. sales unit, Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A., said in a statement.

Six injuries were reported as a result of the defects.

Toyota will notify owners starting in mid-February and repair the defective front suspension lower ball joints free of charge.
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    What does this have to do with the all new 2007 Tundra?
  • finallyat150finallyat150 Member Posts: 105
    I have been reading this site for a couple of weeks now and franky, I am a bit concerned about some of the "American Truck Guys" out there. Lots of you seem to be dissapointed that the new Tundra is getting 15 or so mpg, has a plastic gas cap (lol), and is not the "PERFECT" truck.

If you are not willing to drive a truck that gets 15 mpg, then get out of the truck driving business. IT'S A TRUCK! You want good gas mileage? Buy a Corolla. You don't like the gas cap on the new Tundra? Get a life. Somebody else really doesn't like the taillights. Come on.

Still others are gonna wait till the price comes down! Wait on. Wait, wait, wait, and maybe in 6-months or so you can save another $500 on the purchase of a new Tundra. Or, you could pay the little extra now and drive the dang thing now.

I just ordered a blue streak TRD 4x4 SR5 DC loaded up with leather and the backup camera. I got it for $1000 off msrp. Out the door for $37,200. Good enough for me. I never have been much on gas caps, didn't even bother to examine the thing on the new Tundra. 15 mpg is about what one should expect to get in a 5000 pound beast equiped with a 5.7 liter moter, right? Now matter what the dang air temp, humidity, and all the other environmental factors are. Get real!

One day, maybe somebody will make the perfect truck. One that puts out 400 horse and gets 30mpg with a beautiful metal gas cap. You keep waiting and looking, I'll keep hauling with the new 15 mpg T-150, cheap gas cap and all. ;)
  • rbk2rbk2 Member Posts: 2
    Well said 150. Enjoy
    THIS IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.6 MONTHS 12 MONTHS,PLENTY OF TOYOTA TRUCKS OUT THERE,EVEN A TOYOTA DIESEL ENGINE BEFORE LONG.I DROVE THE TRUCK,IT LOOKS LIKE A VERY SAFE TRUCK WITH A SMOOTH FIRM RIDE.IT HAS A LOT OF POWER,STOPS ON A DIME.REALLY IMPRESSED!I'AM LOOKING FORWARD TO OWNING ONE SOME DAY.BUT FOR NOW I WILL BE PATIENT WATCH AND LEARN FROM OTHER NEW OWNERS FEED BACK.WHATS WRONG WITH THAT!
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Why only a five bolt pattern wheel on a vehicle this large and heavy?
    it is not old news,letters were sent out feb 14 2007 from toyota.6 injuries reported.go to 4x4wire.com's recall ball joints 2004-2006 tundra + seqouia 2007. why ignore the problem ? it is what it is!
    Nothin wrong with that wildbill. You're obviously not wanting/needing a truck as quickly as some. The good news for you is that there are guys like me out there to buy them now, providing your feedback.

True, there are plenty of the new Tundra's out there. Toyota is not messin around here. I live in a town of 40,000 folks. The Toyota dealer got 4 Tundras initially, sold 3 of them and now has 4 more sitting on the lot. All this action in two weeks.
    I have two possible scenarios as to why a five bolt pattern:

1) It's the old "olive in the jar" conspiracy. If Toyota only puts 5 bolt wheels on instead of six, they will save $2.43 per vehicle only increasing consumer safety risk by a meer 3%, building 400,000 Tundra's at a savings of $972,000. They were probably not counting on anybody catching this one. Good eye!

2) Because a four bolt pattern is not enough, and six is too many.
  • mfhallmfhall Member Posts: 22
    New member.
    Been in the market to replace my '93 F150 (170K) since late fall '06. Test drove the Tundra '06 DC and was very, very, impressed with the power and stability. I was not real thrilled with the available models left to buy because of lack of (my) necessities like auto-climate control, power/heated seats, etc. I decided to wait for the '07.
    Test drove the Limited DC 4x4 5.7 yesterday and I am sold on the new Tundra. There are some things I'd like your opinions on, however.
    1. The '06 I tried had dual-exhaust I liked it- anyone have comments on pros/cons of DE?
    2. Is it better to get the side bars at purchase time or after?
    3. I was a bit surprised at the interior. First impression was dashboard seemed a bit too plastic and the shift knob seemed "light" (vs. sturdy). But after a bit, the feeling subsided- any thoughts?
    4. I was disappointed that the DC does not have the v-sliding rear windows anymore (only on crew), just a manual center-sliding window.
    5. Power was un-matched to any 150/Sierra I have tried; breaking power/response too.
    6. Am curious how much noticeable difference there is between the 4.7 and 5.7.
    7. On the Limited edition, under-the-rear-seat storage is pretty much gone since the JBL system is there.
    8. Thoughts on Navigation/Camera system pros/cons vs. adding after-market?
    9. Lastly, the 4x4 issue. I currently do not do “off-road” driving but I have this feeling of impending disastrous conditions. Considering the standard automatic limited-slip differential on both the 4x2 and 4x, is it a worth the extra $3K for the 4x4?
    NICKEL & DIME IT ARE THEY.YOU ARE RIGHT,SAVE A BUCK HERE AND THERE.IT ADDS UP.I HATE TO SAY IT BUT I WISH THE JAPANESE WERE PUTTING THESE TRUCKS TOGEATHER.I WONDER HOW MANY LAID OFF FORD & GM PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BE WORKING ON THE ASSEMBLEY LINE FOR TOYOTA!
    Hello, I'm no expert, but I have been studying this new Tundra for some time now. Here's my .02:

1. new tundra has a stainless steel 4 to 2 to 1 equal distance exhaust. More effecient, breathes better, more muscle. Doesn't have the "look" of a dual exhaust, but no worry; nobody will be looking at your exhaust setup as you tool by.

2. depends. i ordered mine with the factory flat-type side steps. They are cheap and effecient and look fine to me. You can obviously wait and get some very nice aftermarket side steps for sure.

3. I have heard this opinion from a few here. I disagree, interior looks excellent to me. you can replace the shifter if you like. easy fix.

4. I agree. It's an unfortunate development decision but have you checked out that tailgate? Wow!

5. This truck is a beast!

6. gas mileage is virtually the same. can't get the 6 speed tranny in the 4.7, if you buy a new tundra, just get the 5.7, you won't be sorry.

7. yeah, i looked at getting the limited or a beefy SR5, still same some bucks on the SR5 and got the underseat rear storage box.

8. Navigation system? Who needs it. Just google map your way before you leave the house. Got a cell phone? Call the folks at the place your going if you can't find it when you get there and they will direct you for free. The backupcamera is an awesome feature to me. I am getting it installed at dealer. I fish alot with my boat.

9. I have had both 4x2's and 4x4's. I have never wished I had a 4x2 when in the 4x4, but have wished I had the 4x4 when in the 4x2.

Good luck, have fun!
    On the other hand, I have owned plenty of five wheel bolt pattern trucks, and never had any issues with that. You?

Ever been driving down the road in your new truck and thinking, "damn, I wish this thing had another lug nut on each wheel?" lol.

Ah.....us American's, we got it sooooooo good.
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    Well said partner, the interior on my new Tundra is beautiful, it's just in the pictures it looks cheap, but the dash and all that is very logically laid out. The cabin is nice and comfortable, the bed is excellent (haven,t got my bedliner) but I'll go in the summer to my Toyota Dealership and get the bedliner. Anybody know if Rhino would do well on an '07 Tundra.
    DIVE IN .ANY THING NEW IS GREAT.I BET YOU WILL BE HAPPY TO GET OUT OF THAT FORD.I HAD ONE,5.0 ,IT COULD'NT PASS A GAS STATION UP.I HAD IT 13 YEARS.11-12 MILES TO A GALLON CITY!I HERE CHEVROLET TRUCK IS COMING OUT WITH A 500 HORSE POWER ENGINE PRETTY SOON.LOOK OUT TUNDRA!
  • silversvtsilversvt Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know if Toyota plans to offer "Smart Key" on the Tundra?

Is there any word on when the TRD supercharger might be available and what the performance numbers might be?

I also wonder if direct fuel injection is in the future plans like on the lexus 4.6 liter.

Do you guys think that a Tundra Hybrid is viable or is Toyota going to rely on a diesel for their fuel efficient variant?

I have been following the development of this tundra for a long time. I was essentially sold on it prior to its unveiling (probably helped by all the hype). I am only interested in the Crewmax variation with the 5.7 Liter.

I want a truck that includes the following:

1. Room to carry 5 to 6 passengers comfortably

2. Enough power and towing capacity to haul anything I need (Large Boat or Travel Trailer)

3. Fast and relatively nimble when not towing

4.Comfortable, nice looking, nice feeling interior

5. Nice Looking exterior

6. Good Reliability and Good Resale value

Right now I think that a GM or Toyota Full Size CrewCab/Crewmax are my only considerations and I'm leaning toward the Toyota.

I think toyota has done an admirable job with this truck and I will likely buy a Crewmax later this year, but if a Toyota exec asked me for a special order this would be It....

2008 Crewmax Limited with "Smart Key", Upgraded Interior and Dash Design with column shifter and Leather Seating for 6, Straight from Factory with TRD Supercharger pushing 450 HP and 500 ft-lbs torque. That Should give it a 5.5 second 0-60 time and still be able to haul what I need it to. MSRP of about $45K sound OK to ya. I can put down my deposit now.

It would be my Toyota Version of a Ford Lightning with 4 doors. Unneccesary and Unlikely I know, but I wish.
    Well, my buddy and I went to check out the new Tundra and we stopped at two dealers actually. Drove a double Cab with 4.7 (All 5.7's were accounted for) and at another dealer, a double cab 5.7 SR5. Our conclusions were pretty much similar, the 4.7 is more than adequate to get the job done. The 5.7 however is a monster. It is just a mean, gutsy, powerhouse that really kicks you in the pants when you get on it. If I were ever in the market for a 1/2 ton truck, I would definitly put that engine at the top of the priority list.

As far as materials and features, well it's a truck not a luxury car. But even in the SR5, it was comfortable, well laid out and the materials are solid. Sure, there are some shiney plastics, but I couldn't find a misaligned item anywhere on the dash.

My friend was offered a decent price for the truck, but they low-balled him on his trade (2005 GMC Sierra :lemon: #2 ) that he has been looking to get out of. So we left without the keys, as he is apparently going to try and sell it outright.

Mind you, this guy is a sevice manager for a P/B/GMC dealer and the reactions to the Tundra were enough to win him over to the dark side it seems :P

This truck is certainly going to earn a lot of conquest sales once those folks drive the 5.7. The power is addictive. :shades:
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    More than the disintermediation of Ford and Chevy truck drivers defecting to the T-150, I'd worry if I were Nissan. I'm thinking this truck should spell the end of the trouble prone, not quite ready for prime time Titanic....
    Nah, I think Nissan has their list of lessons learned from Titan version 1.0 that'll be fixed for version 2.0. I actually commend them for taking the initial risk. There were a few "firsts" that appeared on that truck like the adj. tie downs, the factroy bedliner and lockable bin behind the drivers side rear wheel well. And the Endurance V8 is quite impressive even in heavy pigs like the Armada (That sucker will throw you in the back seat if you get on it). It was the initial quality glitches that caused the stumble in sales, not the capability. Even still, it is due for a redesign and I'm positive that Nissan will get it even closer to right.
    I have done the factory and aftermarket bedliners in the past. My last 3 trucks have been sprayed in liners, all Line-x. My new Tundra will be sprayed. $400 to spray in the bed (bottom, tailgate, and walls up to the rails).

I really like the Line-x spray-in liner. Semi-rough surface, no slippage, and very durable. They do have to strip the paint out of the bed of your truck to prep it for the spray in liner. Just don't watch this process and you will be fine, lol.
    End of Titan, probably not. But the Tundra will definately hurt their sales along with GM and Ford truck sales. This beasty Tundra will hurt, they will rebound, but it will hurt.

WARNING!!!! Do not go to a Ford dealership and speak of the new Tundra as a T-150. That really pisses them off. They are not happy over this one, lol.

Wanna have a little fun? Go to a Chevy dealership and do a truck to truck comparison between the Tundra and Silverado with a salesman. Watch him squirm and lie.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    How GM is in a full backpedal, with 0% for 5 years, and new owners trying to explain away the performance differences.

Seems they got blindsided by the ability of the Tundra.

They can't claim more power, payload, towing, or interior room. So it's time to deal.

DrFill
  • maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    You know whats really funny is the import lovers that know absolutley nothing about trucks (and how would they since theyve never had one unless you count the titan) and now all of a sudden they are experts on the subject. dont get me wrong im not bashing the tundra it seems like a more than capable truck but that is all, it "seems" like a capable truck. To put it on a pedestal and say that is the benchmark of trucks is ridiculous. the 5.7 is a powerhouse for sure but nobody knows how it will hold up in a working environment. The 6 speed tranny would be nice but it is also unproven. Toyota cant seem to get the trannys in the camry right so what makes anybody sure they will get it right on the tundra. The domestics have their share of problems no doubt but trucks are not one of them, sure toyota will steal sales from the big 3 but nissan will by far take the biggest hit. A recipe for a good truck is more than just squeeze the biggest engine you can under the hood. Ask nissan about that.True truck owners care less about 0-60, or 1/4 mile times. Im not a toyota fan by any stretch but im glad they finally came up with something competetive in the truck market, that just makes gm have to work that much harder to stay ahead, which means better and better trucks for everybody :shades: