Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    There's 31 variations plus options multiplied by 11 different colors. That's nearly 1000 different combinations just from the factory.

31 X 11 x 2-3 factory options per vehicle.

No single store can carry that many different vehicles especially since this is the initial ramp up. Some of these combinations may be very popular and getting one within 4-6 weeks is a snap. One that's very very specific might require 90+ days. It just depends.

Consider that those that go in and buy one in stock have zero waiting time and their comments wouldn't be reflected in threads like this. They didn't have to wait even a minute.
  • finallyat150finallyat150 Member Posts: 105
    wow, excellent mileage iqbald! i'll take an avg mileage like that in a beast like the tundra for sure.

have fun drivin!
  • wileetundrawileetundra Member Posts: 24
    In an effort to get this thread back on track, I have decided to share an Excel file which I used during price negotiations with the dealer. This is valuable for anyone that has Microsoft Excel installed on their computer and is planning to buy a Tundra. Instructions are simple as follows:

Download the file here and save it to your desktop
    Open the file with Microsoft Excel
    Edit the base vehicle info in rows 2-5 as needed, see Edmunds.com for data
    Place an "x" in the yellow fields to indicate which options you want on your vehicle
    Review row 57 to see what the MSRP and Invoice totals are for your vehicle as configured
    Enter the price quoted by the sales rep or your offer price in cell F57 to see how it compares to MSRP and Invoice
    Place an "x" in the yellow fields in rows 60-64 to indicate which additional fees will be included (if any) then change the prices as needed
    Review rows 66-68 to see your total cost and how much profit the dealer will make in each scenario
    Edit the yellow loan fields in rows 69-73 as needed to estimate what your payments and total payback will be
    Switch to the Dealers worksheet and enter contact info for all of your local dealers including several out of state or from another region. This is helpful when calling for quotes and it helps to show this to the sales rep / sales manager during final negotiations so they know you are serious about walking if they don't deal.

The factory option codes and prices are preloaded for the Tundra and should be the same for most vehicles. You can change anything in the file including the formulas for calculated fields: just select Tools... Protection... Unprotect Sheet and then all cells will be editable. No warranties expressed or implied.

Click here for more details on price negotiation tactics.

Enjoy.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ...a completely unnecessary conversation has been removed from this discussion. PLEASE don't respond to posts that are intended to bait an argument. Email me or the manager, KarenS - karen@edmunds.com and allow us to address it.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Good job .

Lou
  • squidstirsquidstir Member Posts: 1
    We are interested in meeting anyone who is in love with or thinking about purchasing a new generation Tundra at http://www.toyotatundraforum.com
    Please come help us build a Tundra community and share in the ownership experience with other lucky Tundra owners.

We look forward to hearing from you.
  • mfhallmfhall Member Posts: 22
    Thank you!
  • mfhallmfhall Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the SS.
    We already have a good Tundra community here. Why not share your stories in these forums?
  • cbuellgocbuellgo Member Posts: 12
    Thank you for sharing; toyotatundraforum.com. Had spent some time looking for a Owners Manual and found it there; along with some info on the dreaded Oil change, Hope the filter cartrages aren't truly that hard to get a hold of, but will check for sure tomorrow when I finnaly can Park the Silverado and drive the long awaited Tundra Home. Long drive as the local dealer didn't want my Money. Hope I can get some sleep tonight........
  • cash22cash22 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had the same problems I'm having finding aftermarket dual ehaust that will boost HP and gas milage? And what's with hiding the oil filter and only being able to use 5w-20 or 0w-20 oil (no synthetics)!!!!
  • cash22cash22 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 tundra with double-cab and my kids are 19 and 13 (hieght 5'3" and 5'5") and have no problem in the back seat area. I use my bed of truck to haul. The Crewmax has a very short bed to make room for the backseat. The Sequoia 08 will have the same wheel base as the Crewmax and the Tunra 5.7 engine. I guess it's all about necessities.
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    I just caught up on this discussion and saw this post! Thanks for your comments, it is much appreciated! I'm reading more from owners here and seeing what their experience is with the new truck so far. Again, thanks!
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    where is the filter on the 5.7?
    i am not quite sure yet dreasdad, but evidently the filter is somewhat difficult to get to. I don't think it is difficult to "reach", but to get to in that you must remove the front skid plate on the TRD model to access the undersde of the motor and reach the filter. I also understand that the filter is not the usual screw on type oil filter. It is the canister type and someone on another tundra forum says he still hasn't figured how to remove the filter from its housing.

also, from what i gather, just getting your hands on an oil filter for the 5.7 tundra is difficult.

looks like dealer oil changes to me, which ain't no big deal since they are $21 here if you purchase the yota from them.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It's lower front right as you face the grill front. To get at it you have to remove any skid plates.
    don't know about the aftermarket exhaust cash, but would you not be able to run synthetic in the new tundra???

O'Rieley's carries 5w-20 Mobil One. 6 bucks a quart.
    over at the toyotatundraforum.com site you can see pics of the new filter. kind of a strange lookin critter.
  • abcanuckabcanuck Member Posts: 4
    When I bought my Z71 I spent too much effort to try to get technical info from GM or a reliable contact to ask questions not in the manual(s). After seeing the concerns and the questioning of the truck bed steel gauge I really would like to find a source/contact info to really find out the comparison to the other 3. I have waited some time before ordering trucks for my company and being in the pipeline business it would be good to verify these things. I suspect some unfortunate things might have just happened here, but ... how could Toyota have missed that obvious a thing on a "working" truck!!! Any ideas? :(
  • 07wildbill07wildbill Member Posts: 29
    are you talkng about message #784 jaymck1979 bed denting.all auto manufactures cut corners to save a buck. we use diesel power strokes in our business to haul heavy equipment.we test drove the tundra, lot of torque for a gas engine.i will find out the gauge steel they are using.thanks.p.s i saw a auto accident involving a older toyota suv, the toyota came out the winner in that one.
  • abcanuckabcanuck Member Posts: 4
    Thanks wildbill! Yes, I was referring to #784 jaymck1979 bed denting. I really would like to see/confirm the gauge of steel in the Tundra and compare to the big 3. I have a Duramax and a gas 2500 now but getting beat up by the depreciation for new ones. BYW a car hit me at 60 MPH in the right rear quarter of a rented Land Cruiser (stopped) and absolutely destroyed the front clip of the car (actually remove half of it). The LC had the rear axle bent, the side window blown and fender was damaged badly but still there.. that's all!
    don't know the gauge of steel, but the tundra has a double lined bed.
    I recently had a LINE-X bedliner sprayed on to my new 2007 Tundra Double Cab Standard Bed. I was very impressed by the installation process and the quality of the product so I thought I would share a lot of my info and photos to help others that may be considering LINE-X for their trucks.

The following link brings up my article which explains the installation process and includes 44 photos of my truck before the install, during prep work, in the spraying area, and after the install was completed.

http://www.pinemountainfirearms.com/pmf/line-x-tundra/linex-2007-tundra.htm

This should help any of you that are looking for more detailed LINE-X info like I was a few weeks ago. It is a tough decision to have your factory new and nearly perfect truck scuffed up so that a permanent liner can be sprayed on, but now that it is done I am very satisfied and glad that I did it. Enjoy.
    excellent wilee! I have had 3 trucks line-xed, but the job they did for you is by far the best i have seen. when i take my tundra in, i will carry photos of yours with and use as example when cutting the deal. "i want mine exactly like this".

I especially like how they took the time to remove the bed bolts and tie-down loops prior to spraying. the finished product look so much better with the bedbolts and tie-down loops NOT sprayed. :shades:
    Yeah, I was initially unsure about him removing all the bolts and tie-downs before spraying but he said it would look a lot better so I trusted his judgement. He has sprayed thousands of trucks so I figured he knows what he is doing.

Now I am glad that I listened to him since it does look better and those parts can be removed or replaced without affecting the liner. He also said if I didn't like the look later then I could always tape them off and spray them with black undercoating material or take it back in and he would cover them with LINE-X for me.

I am going to leave them alone because they look better and I plan to put a hard multi-section removable lid on the bed as soon as I find the right product in stock. I just hope I can find a bed lid that allows me to keep the top plastic rail covers and bed rails installed.

Has anyone seen any good lids in stock for the 2007 Tundra yet? I want a multi-section removable hard cover so it can be partially or completely removed by one person with the sections stored in the bed while in transit if needed. It also has to be lockable and preferably strong enough to withstand strong winds or moderate weight on top of the cover.
  • cbuellgocbuellgo Member Posts: 12
    I Would really Check out the roll up tops (Jack Rabbit) On cabela's site before buying any other tonneau. Have had others but not that one. They don't list it for 07 but check them out! Pace Edwards looks like the Manufacture? I elected to go back to the canopy having sonar and a Camera I hope not to hit anything backing up! I should have a new Leer In two weeks, Wish I could have seen one on A 07 before Ordering.
    I have a new 2007 Tundra DoubleCab 5.7 L V8. It has 800 miles on it and runs like a dream. When the truck hasn't been used for an hour or more and I first start it up there is no unusual noise. When I move it into drive and give it some gas it goes through 1st gear just fine. When it shifts to 2nd gear around 15 mph I hear a brief metallic clanking noise which sounds like it is coming from under the front half of the truck, possibly up between the front wheels but it is hard to tell. I suspect it is in the center of the vehicle since my wife said it sounds like it is on my side and to me it sounds like it is on her side. After this noise the truck runs and shifts great and the noise never recurs even when stopping / starting out from red lights, slow or fast acceleration, manual shifting, etc. If I turn the truck off briefly in park and restart it still doesn't seem to do it, but it if I let it sit for some time (seems like an hour or so) then it happens again. I first thought maybe it is from the engine or transmission being physically cold but sometimes the water and transmission gauges still show some heat on them when I start up and it happens again. This could be a normal noise but it sure doesn't sound normal. I have it in 2WD the entire time. Any ideas before I run it back down to the dealer in a panic and waste another day of vacation time for something that could turn out to be nothing? :)
  • lkcohen1lkcohen1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 tundra with a navigational system and bluetooth phone. At first I was able to connect my treo 700p PDA/phone with the blue tooth phone on the car. It was great! I could talk to people hands free. Unfortunately, after two weeks, the phone and the car stop communicating with each other by bluetooth. Has anybody experienced this problem?? :sick:
    My bluetooth still works fine after several weeks. Most likely your PDA has lost the pairing which enables it to communicate with the vehicle. Try deleting the vehicle profile from your PDA bluetooth settings then follow the instructions in the Tundra manual to pair your PDA with the truck again as a new device and see what happens. Also, if you press the Info key while the vehicle is stopped then you can go into the Phone menu and make sure the Auto Connect feature is still enabled, and attempt to manually connect for testing.

Good luck.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    could be the anti-lock brakes going through a normal self check? i've had several vehicles that made a similar noise at low speed...and usually only after the vehicle has sat for a bit...my 2 cents.
  • tystundra07tystundra07 Member Posts: 2
    Sometimes there are tricks in order to be able to watch a dvd while the vehicle is in motion. I know that the factory doesn't make them that way for a reason, and I know that it is unsafe and illegal, but does anybody know how to do it.

I know that in my dad's old CTS V, he was able to figure it out by pushing a series of buttons or something. :confuse:
    wilee, have you figured out what the deal was with your truck? :confuse:
    I never found the source of the metallic noise yet. I have listened carefully over the past week or so and it might not be happening when the truck shifts from 1st to 2nd, it could be when it goes from 2nd to 3rd, but it is definitely between 10-25 mph. It does it every time the vehicle has been sitting in park for more than 30 minutes or so, but if I start it up after a short break the noise doesn't happen. It also never happens after the initial time no matter how warm or cold the truck is. I tried all the modes of the VSC switch and this had no effect. I plan to take it back in to the dealer just to be sure but I live far from the dealer and I can't afford the time off from work right now. :(
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Here one for the forum, Tundra is thought to be a 1/2 ton yet when the MSO come in they state 3/4 ton.

Is Toyota identify them wrong or is it a 3/4 ton

And what makes a truck a 1/2 or a 3/4 ton?
  • doggboysdoggboys Member Posts: 17
    I'm not sure what makes it a 1/2 or 3/4 ton but I noticed the same thing. Hopefully it won't make the registration fees or insurance go up. By the way, has anyone heard of a TRD exhaust for the '07 yet?
  • a47chucka47chuck Member Posts: 15
    Had my TRD exhaust installed yesterday. Sounds good, looks good and not too loud. Your dealer should be able to order it and have it in a couple of days ... 'bout two hours to install.
    Unfortunately, marketing has blurred those former distinctions to the point they don't mean much. You can now get an F150 rated higher (8200 GVWR) than the old F250 (7700). But because consumers perceive the "1/2 ton" as the more family-friendly vehicle, the manufacturers advertise them as such to get Joe Homeowner and not just Joe Contractor.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • doggboysdoggboys Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the info, I will call the dealer on Monday and see what there price is.
    TRD exhaust? Please explain what you are talking about, and about what it cost. I have a TRD coming in and may be interested in modifying the exhaust.
    hmmmm, good point. I never thought of it like that.

Anyway, I really hope I can get away with calling the new tundra a half ton. I know for sure that with my insurance company, a 3/4 ton will cost more to insure than a half (just like a 4x4 is more to insure than a 4x2). I would imagine that if I claim it to be a half-ton, then my insurance company will accept it since I do all transactions via the telephone.

don't know though. time will tell. when i insure my tundra i will follow up in this forum whether I insured it at half or 3/4 ton premium.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    KC is right. These 1/2-ton, 3/4-ton distinctions are no longer accurate. Decades back (and I mean DECADES!) they did, but not any more. As KC indicated think of the 1/2-ton as more of a family substitute, and the 3/4-ton the contractors friend.

Keep in mind the role of pickups have changed over the years, which is reflected in the way the vehicle are built and marketed.

I honestly think the mid-size class of truck will evolve into what used to be the "1/2-ton of years gone by," from a capability standpoint. Most are already there now. Thereby allowing full-size 1/2-ton to evolve into a HD 1/2-ton, just under the 3/4-ton range.

Bob
    Ok, I have been watching this forum for some time now. I also special ordered a new tundra built to my desires on Feb 13th. I also have noticed that in general, there are lots of folks out there "waiting" for their new tundra, and nobody seems to know what is going on. What is the wait all about? Nobody can really answer this question. I sure can't.

The truck I ordered is really nothing special. I am waiting for a blue streak TRD 4x4 with leather. The funny thing is that I have not even SEEN a TRD 4x4 ANYWHERE. Does Toyota really even make a TRD 4x4?????

Others seem to be experiencing the same problem as I. Trucks are ordered, no trucks are coming. Very strange. But what is most strange is the total lack of communication and information on the order process and build.

I have been told by my dealer that my truck is in "build status" and is tagged as "sold". lol, what does that mean? I ordered the dang thing on February 13th.

I can only assume that Toyota is still ramping up, trying to fill orders, and building trucks. Just seems like they would at least make "contact" with special order clients,,,,say,,,,,,via email???? lol,,,,,or at least stay in closer contact with the dealer regarding special orders. say........."special order updates", via email?

I guess in the end, it is all about patience on my part. Just seems to me that Toyota is lagging a little here with this new Tundra. Maybe not lagging as of yet on production, but lagging on staying in contact and getting info out there to the customer and dealers for sure. My dealer just tells me, "all I know is that they are working on your truck, can't tell you where they are at on it, or when it will be done." And that's just it folks; in my view, the dealer should be able to tell the $37,000 customer EXACTLY where they are at on his truck, and EXACTLY when it will be done.

I just needed to vent a little this morning on the forum since my wife is getting tired of hearing it, lol. She even suggested, "why don't you just go and buy a new Titan"?
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Edmunds tested. Maybe you can take their's as a loaner?

At least you know they can make one.

Has anyone been able to test drive the truck with and without the TRD pkg.? Is there a difference with the ride quality? :confuse:

DrFill
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Well my friend came by with his new Tundra last evening. Finally dumped his lemon GMC Sierra (#2) to an employee that works for him (He is a service mngr for a B/P/GMC dealer in NH) dirt cheap. So he brought by an SR5 DC with the 5.7. We didn't get into cost as he spent most of the time raving about it and showing it off (which I already saw a few weeks back when I went test-driving but anyways...) but apparently the dealers were fair with the asking price. Of course this truck is the hottest on the market at the moment so there wasn't much room for negotiations.

My only beef is he got it in the sandstone color, not the sharpest but still nice. I'd be curious of the reaction he gets when he pulls up to work at a GM dealer in a brand new Yota. :P
  • maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    do you really think anyone believes this story of a "friend" who is a service manager for GM but had so many problems with his chevy trucks that he bought a new tundra. I suppose drfill will eat that up but i doubt anybody else will. I hope he negotiated a job at the toyota dealership as well cause if he worked for me he would be unemployed real quick :confuse: if your going to make stuff up at least make it believable
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    I'm always looking for a good deal. Even with a hot vehicle like the new Tundra. I believe that you don't get the best price if you simply order your new vehicle from the dealer. The dealer is motivated to move vehicles off his lot so that is where I look. I don't see much inventory at any of my local dealers. I searching for a 5.7 limited DC with nav which seems to be in very limited supply. You look at Ford or Chevy and they have 5o-60 vehicles to choose from.(Not that I would.) The average Toyota dealer has 3-5 Tundras.

I believe that being patient pays off. With gas prices up over 40 cents/gal in the last month, I see better inventory and better deals in the near future. If not, Toyota will never make their predicted sales figures for the Tundra.
  • joe140joe140 Member Posts: 22
    Did you ever get an answer about the ride of the TRD versus the Limited??
    Q. TRD exhaust? Please explain what you are talking about, and about what it cost. I have a TRD coming in and may be interested in modifying the exhaust.

A. The TRD system can be ordered and installed through your dealer. It consists of a 2 in 2 out muffler and two tail pipes which exit to each side behind the rear wheels. The pipe size is 2 3/4" as is the stock system. The Tundra accessory guide shows the back of a truck with them installed. The list price is $1060 installed (I believe) and I paid $950 installed.

The reason I went the TRD route is because it's blessed by Toyota, designed for the Tundra, is mandrel bent stainless and uses the stock hangers.
    Q. The truck I ordered is really nothing special. I am waiting for a blue streak TRD 4x4 with leather. The funny thing is that I have not even SEEN a TRD 4x4 ANYWHERE. Does Toyota really even make a TRD 4x4?????

A. Yes they do! I've had my Blue Streak, DC, Limited, 4x4, 5.7, with the TRD package for over a month now and love it. A lot of the trucks on my dealers lot have the TRD package. I'm in Central Oregon.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Looks like a lot of rebound after the impact but the cabin held up quite well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=857xu87ItkY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-WmypX2RUPY