Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Which model Accord did you get? What problems did you have with your Jetta?
  • el_chupacabrael_chupacabra Member Posts: 17
    Jetta looks better although the Accord is more reliable
    Depends on what you mean by "looks better."

If you like Corollas, the Jetta is the car for you. :) Of course, you could just buy a corolla, get better mileage, save a ton (go downhill on interior niceties however) and get stellar reliability!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    While the Jetta = Corolla silliness is way overdone, the Corolla is a better looking car than the Accord...of course most anything is.
    Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion as far exterior designs go...

Having driven many miles in a Corolla, I can officially say it was just as exciting as turning on our dishwasher. DULL. The Accord at least has some spunk when behind the wheel. Exterior design? All three look pretty japanese, pretty boring. I didn't buy it to look at the outside, but the inside - and to drive it! :)
  • neteng101neteng101 Member Posts: 176
    My dishwasher looks bettr than a Corolla! :P

I had a Corolla once upon a time. It got me from point A to point B. :)
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    Why not? What kind of problems did you have?
  • killerbunnykillerbunny Member Posts: 141
    Not until you realize the zen and bliss of driving a VW/Audi product, and stop bantering inferior products...

Probably it zened too much and must rest in a shop.

In the 1960s, VWs dominated the US import car market with over 50% of market share. Now they are just an obscure little car brand, selling about as much as Subaru (around 200k per year). The classic "tested and false" scenario. It's not like Americans didn't give VW a chance.
  • bob757flbob757fl Member Posts: 16
    I test drove both the 08 Jetta and 08 Accord (4cyl) today. The Jetta is hands down way more fun to drive. After owning exclusively Honda for the last 21 years, I was excited to have found a different driving experience and car I could live with. Salesman asked what was keeping me from buying today, and I said I just needed to look over the Consumer Reports reliability ratings since that is very important to me. He didn't even ask for my name or number after that. He knew I would not be back. Sure enough. Passat and Jetta are well below average in the reliability rankings. In fact, Passat was dead last in its class. Fun is not going to the dealership for unnecessary problems. I won't be buying a VW.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    I think Honda makes great cars and it's fair to say they're more reliable than VW. But you're talking about a few percentage points separating the Accord from the Jetta in reliability. I would gladly take a chance on the Jetta knowing its chances of having problems are higher than an Accord since I know for sure I would be happier driving the Jetta.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I would hope the Jetta would be a little more fun to drive. :confuse: It's half the size, and half the weight. Why is anyone cross-shopping these two cars? Either you need a large Midsize Sedan, or a Compact. I don't see the connection. Passat vs. Accord or Jetta vs. Civic makes a lot more sense.
    Actually, the fact that the Jetta weighs a lot (about as much as a prev. gen Accord 4-cyl) and costs a lot (for a compact car, $25k is a lot!), the comparison is pretty fair IMO. It favors the Honda though, especially since the V6 Accord gets better mileage with more hp and room, and sounds a LOT better in the process.
    (for a compact car, $25k is a lot!),

I guess some consider VW something of a luxury brand, but luxury-compact just doesn't sound like two words that go together. I sure don't see many new Jettas on the road now.

PS: Go Tigers ;)
    PS: Go Tigers

Ouch. :sick: .... :blush:

I'm actually pretty proud of our Bama boys. LSU didn't run away with it like everyone thought they would!

Back to the cars... :)
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I won't. VW's earned big time laurels with the 1.8T in the late 90s (kinda like the 2.0T is getting now), and I almost ended up picking Passat over Accord. A decade later, I am glad to say that I didn't. In fact, I have comprehensive experience with Jetta (two of them) from 2002-2003 model years. One of them is gone, and for very good reasons. The other is about to.

The engine sucks. Sometimes it feels that the check-engine light itself needs a recall for popping up too often (and this started in both cars after the dreaded 80K mile warranty). The mileage went down around 90-100K mile (based on my friends' calculations, and whatever I saw of it). The turbo lag, which was literally non-existent in 1998 Passat, had become a nuisance. Handling and steering? I would take my 182K mile '98 Accord over Jettas with half the life (and miles), anyday. Thats just the reality.

I considered VW in Fall 1997. It won't make my list now. At least for next six years or so, which will be an evaluation period.
    I said I just needed to look over the Consumer Reports reliability ratings since that is very important to me.

If that is all you care about, why waste your time and the salesman's time? Why wouldn't you just look at that data first and test drive only those cars that are supposed to be above average in reliability :confuse: ?
    ...but luxury-compact just doesn't sound like two words that go together.

Why??? Just because a car is compact doesn't preclude it from being a luxury brand. I commend VW for offering a compact car that's tops in fit and finish, interior decor, driving dynamics, safety and features AND is relatively affordable. Consumers who buy compact variants of the Acura, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Lexus or BMW don't seem to have a problem putting luxury and compact together.
    Your comments about the 1.8T ring true. With my Jetta I experienced turbo lag and like everyone else had the ignition coils replaced. But the big time laurels ring true when it comes to the 2.0T engine. It is an absolute dynamite power train! Well at least it is in the configuration I have it.
    How many miles do you have on it?
    Give Satan ;) time, and he will make them a winner. You can bet on it.
    Heeeeyyy, not cool man. Not cool. :mad:

Don't be hatin'! lol ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    how 'bout we just stick to the two cars?
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    I recently spent some time in my brother's new 2008 VW GTI. What a neat car - not practical, but neat! The paddle-shifters with no torque converter are awesome!!! I was uber-impressed with the interior fit and finish. I parked it next to my brand new 2008 Honda Accord EX-L and there was no comparison. The GTI's leather interior was significantly better! (IMHO, I don't think the Accord's interior is bad -- it just isn't up to snuff with the VW).

Is the Jetta's interior of similar quality to the GTI?

(I like the GTI and my brother puts a premium on speed and handling. But, I can't imagine spending $29k on a hatchback! That's a lot of $$ for not much interior real estate! Of course, it will run circles around my Accord!)
    The Jetta and the Rabbit share interior architecture, I believe, so I'd imagine their quality is much the same (which is good). Sure, the GTI will run circles around your Accord. That's pretty much what it's made for! :)

And, you say it isn't practical, but a GTI is a lot more practical for some with that hatch back than an SUV would be, true? :)
    True! And, in fact, practical for fuel economy -- the car is supremely more peppy than my I4 Honda and he is getting about the same gas mileage (upper 20's). [The engine in that GTI is phenomenal! We packed it with 500+ pounds of passengers and it didn't leave 5th gear (or 6th gear???) going up a substantial hill at 70mph. Its an amazing little car.
    He's got a good 40 lbs more torque with that turbo engine, so it'll feel a lot quicker down low. He's also got less weight to lug around (although its still heavy for a compact).
    On the flip side, the Accord is likely to return better mileage while also saving by way of regular grade gasoline.

And the engine will age well, while after noticing a drop in quality (response/acceleration) from 1.8T over a few years and miles, I will continue to doubt turbos from VW until they prove my assumptions wrong. I will give them five years for it.
    robertsmx --- 5 years to correct the problem - or 5 years before the turbo starts to deteriorate? Is this common among all turboed engines, or is this unique to the VW's?

--interestingly, I didn't notice much turbo-lag on the GTI.
    I didn't in 1997 Passat 1.8T either. In fact, I came away very impressed with that car and the engine and almost went for it (Accord EXL was next on list).

A decade later, and with extensive experience with two 1.8T engines from 5-6 years ago, with 10+ years and 183K miles I can now say I'm glad that I picked the Accord. The engine/transmissiuon in the Accord became smoother with age, or so it seems.
    I'm totally with you on the aging process on the Accord transmissions. I wouldn't have said it first because I'm not sure it doesn't make us sound crazy, but it seemed like everything but the suspension improved on my 98 Accord (manual transmission) over time. At 140k on the odometer, the thing was a cruising beast! The transmission just seemed to settle into a nice groove (maybe literally?) and its got great fuel economy and response after about 80k. This is going to sound ridiculous, but there is a huge stretch (210 miles) of straight, flat interstate highway that I used to travel every month. I used to crank the 98 Accord up to between 90 and 110 miles per hour and just let it go. Time and time again the car would give me 33-35 mpg at these speeds. That seems unrealistic to me -- but I confirmed it 5-6 times. I can only hope my 08 Accord will be as good as my 98 over the long-term.
    He's got a good 40 lbs more torque with that turbo engine, so it'll feel a lot quicker down low.

Not only does it feel a lot quicker, it is a lot quicker. It's more on par with the Accord V6 until you get up to high speeds. It truly is a phenomenal little engine with a very efficient transmission. It pulls hard like a good V6 and if you drive it normally you get the fuel economy of a good I4. Granted, it lacks the silkiness of a good V6.

robertsmx does make a good point about long term reliability though. But I will say this, the 2.0t is so much better than the 1.8t. There's virtually no turbo lag with the 2.0t and it has a linear power cure. In other words you don't notice you're driving a turbo.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Right, the Accord's transmission's getting better & better. It's more compact now.
  • hokie2hokie2 Member Posts: 6
    Here it is in a nutshell. Owned a 2002 Jetta and 2003 Passat. Engine coils replaced on both (twice on the Passat). Jetta drove like a dream, but had so many issues, got rid of it. Passat leaked after heavy rain, either through the pollen filter or the sunroof (no one knows) and took out the computer. Repair=$2500. FIVE Passats at the shop with the same problem (research this issue on the web...it's shocking). Just traded it for a beautiful 2008 Accord EX-L V6. Whatever you do...don't buy a VW!
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    my mothers 04 jetta has never had any problems.Other than oil change, nothing else.
    Hokie2,
    Congrats ! How much did you pay for your V6 EX-L? With Navi or no? Thanks.
    Please share a full post with us; what you have is pretty useless without any background information (or any information at all).
    Sorry...I'm new to posting. This was supposed to be a reply to a question about how much I paid for my Accord EX-L V6.
    It's ok! I hope you found your way to the Accord Prices Paid & Buying forum as well.

Welcome to the forums hokie!

-TheGrad
    Okay, is it crazy for me to compare the 08 Accord vs the Jetta?

With the Accord prices, and the Jetta prices, I can get a sportier, loaded jetta for less than the Accord. I have been looking at both leases, and they are quite similar, but now I am not sure on which one to pick. My sister says, hey try other brands, have fun with leasing, but I can't pull myself away from the accord. Plus, who knows when they'll have better incentives, I am not in a rush to lease another car, but need to think about it since my mileage on my current lease is almost up.
    The Accord is rated really high, great value, but the jetta has alot going for it too.

My sister said to test drive both, and get a feel on both.
    Not crazy! The Accord is a LOT bigger (interior and exterior) - so keep that in mind. I think you would find that the Accord, although perhaps a little more money, is a better "value." But, value isn't everything. The Jettas are fun to drive and look great! Although, I have to say, the 08 Accords are fun to drive too -- they feel a lot more like a Jetta these days :). If your thinking re-sale at all, I might stick to the Accord -- probably a much safer bet in that regard . . .
    If your thinking re-sale at all, I might stick to the Accord -- probably a much safer bet in that regard . . .

VWs generally have good resale value. Comparing Jetta and Accord depreciation is about the same, if edmunds numbers are to be believed. In the "true cost to own" feature, Jetta 5 year depreciation is estimated to be $11,734 and Accord's is $11,199. Both lose about 50% of average purchase price over 4 years.
    Ahh - I stand corrected :) And, apparently, that's on comparably priced vehicles. I have sold two Jettas in my life time and found them more difficult to sell than the three Hondas I have sold. I'm surprised!
  • rcqtplyrrcqtplyr Member Posts: 1
    killermonkey

I have a 2000 Jetta VR6 w/ 5 spd manual tranny. I bought the car with 28,000 miles on it from the original owner. It now has 54,000 miles on it. I'm 58 and take very good care of it. At 35,000 miles I had a catastrophic failure of the water pump. That cost $450 to fix. This past Saturday I had the car in at the dealer to fix a broken glove box door. YES, the glove box door! For some reason, one of the two hinges on it just decided to give out. Just the part was $123. Also, the check 'engine light' had come on and gone off a few days later. That turned out to be the mass flow oxygen sensor, a $209 part. Altogether, these two fixes cost $753. I owned a Dodge Caravan prior to the VW. It had a 3.0 liter Mitsubishi engine & tranny. I bought the van with 44,000 miles and sold it with 175,000 miles. The only mechanical I had was replacing a worn out starter motor. Prior to the van, I had a Jeep Cherokee with the straight 6. Bought it with 75,000 miles and sold it with 175,000 miles. NO mechanicals in 100,000 miles. My advice to you is this - buy the Accord. It's hard to go wrong with a Honda or Toyota. I prefer Toyota because they have non-interference engines. My son is a car guy (05 Subi WRX STI) and he thought I was crazy when I told him I bought a VW. Good luck whichever way you go..........
  • tex08hondatex08honda Member Posts: 5
    I just traded in a 2000 Jetta for an 08 EX-L. I was most worried about losing the tight feel of my small car for what I thought would be a boat-like feel. Not really true! The drive-by-wire and improved suspension of the Accord makes the driving feel (of a significantly bigger and heavier car) approximately as tight. The Jetta had higher torque/HP ratio, so it lurched off the line with more oomph. But in this age of $3/gal, who wants the car to do that. The 2.4 of the Accord has much better passing ability at highway speed, which is a nice feature when you're stuck behind an 18-wheeler or something else moving somewhat slow. For what it's worth, I didn't have a lot of problems with the Jetta from a mechanical standpoint. However, I've been thinking about Hondas for the last 5 years as I continued to read the accolades for Accords and their reliability and all of the average ratings for Jettas.
    Tex,

For a few thousands more the '08 Accord V6 EX-L passes the 18 wheelers like "ZOOOOOOM". I own one so I "guarantee" it. You can hear the 6 or 3 or 4 engines purring & revving. It's 100% enjoyable.
  • bunkie1bunkie1 Member Posts: 18
    I own an 03 Accord EXL 2.4 and an 03 Passat GLS 1.8T (Wagon). I bought the Honda new and the Passat in 2005 for $9000 (I think I stole it.) I've been very satisfied with the Honda. I also like the way my Passat drives and rides and looks, but I cannot say I'm very satisfied. On average over the last year, I spend more on unscheduled maintenance on the Passat per month than I've spent on the Accord in it's lifetime. Let me make this clear. On the Passat, with me doing all the labor, in the last year, I've replaced the door latch (about to replace it again), both CV axles, both rear window clips, front brake rotors, and a few other things I can't think of off the top of my head. From what I've read on the Passatworld.com forums, those same problems happen on almost all Passats and according to consumer reports, the Jetta is worse. On the Accord in it's lifetime, I've replaced one O2 sensor and I did the self repair on the radio backlight. The Passat has 97,000 miles, the Accord 118,000. If you go with the VW, get the extended warranty, or get a good tool kit. You'll need a set of triple square drivers.

On the VW routine maintenance is also more difficult and I would assume more expensive at the shop. Synthetic oil is a requirement on the turbo engines and you dare not go over 5000 miles before an oil change. Changing the air filter on the Passat is also a lot more troublesome than any other car I've ever owned.

All that complaining aside, I still like my Passat. I think the ride is superior and the cabin is quieter than the Accord. The only thing malfunctioning on it at the moment is the driver side door latch (doesn't always lock with the remote). I've afraid to repair it (for the second time) because every time I fix something, two more things break. I test drove a Passat and a Jetta back to back, but it's been 7 or 8 years ago. I don't think the Jetta's cabin will be any quieter than the Accord.
    Okay,

I wondering if I should get a 09 Jetta SE/Wolfsburg edition or 09 Accord EX-L??

Which model is leasing better? The VW is offering a Sign and drive event, I think I could get into a Jetta for $330 or so on the SE and a bit more on the Wolfsburg edition. The Accord, I think if I am right I can get into one for $330 up to $370?? I am not sure of the real numbers on the Accord. This would be the 4cyl, navi.

Also, not in the same class, but the dealer offered a deal on the Tiguan, nice smaller SUV, never drove it, but big sale on it I guess. Not sure I want an SUV type car.
    I really want an Accord back, but I will also tell you that the VW dealer has a possible customer that would take over( assume ) my current lease on a 08 G6. So, then they would take that off my hands which is very HARD to do, then go to a new lease, but I am not sure if I should get an Accord, which I have always wanted or get a VW. My mom has an 08 VW so I am familiar with it, I love them too.

Let me know what you guys think. Or do you guys think I am crazy getting out of my G6, which has everything I want, leather, roof, sound, but wanting something else.... I never wanted a G6 anyway though... lol. If you were able to get out of a G6 lease with only 6mth into it, would you do it? Or do I seem greedy? lol AHH!

Let me know!
    I got to thinking.......:)

I am starting to think that I want an Accord back, but if the VW being easier and having a better lease program, than I might go that route. Though getting at least an EX-L on the Accord, with $340 payment would be easy to do I think.

The only issue I got to thinking is that if I go the Accord route, and say the customer that the wants to take over my lease says YES he wants to take over the G6, then what am I supposed to do as far as the processing fee, which is $595, I think really he should have to pay for it all, if he wants it. Then, I feel the VW dealer got nothing from me. Now, the ball is in the VW's court, as they will try to get my out of the G6, and into a VW, then they are getting something out of the deal. If I go the Accord route, they really won't, the customer will get a good lease on a car, but that is it. As GMAC is not leasing or leasing badly now, as they are fading that out.

Its almost like if I don't take this opportunity to get out of a lease, then it will become more impossible to get out, more miles, more age. Now my car is still young with only 8500 miles. So its like now or never perhaps, its really hard to get out, plus, I can;t trade it, as I am so upside down.

Also, if I get an Accord Which TRIM do you think I can get for under $400.
    I would want the navi, or go all out and get the V6 Navi... What do you think, maybe I can get more for my buck!

Thanks again guys! I am going to get answer tomorrow if the customer wants my G6. I want some solid advice to go in with. I know, I write alot..lol srry.
This discussion has been closed.