Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3 vs Subaru Forester XT vs Infiniti FX 35 vs Toyota RAV4

1181920212224»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I hope it was new/empty! :D

-juice
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    Actually it was full of a little bit of everything. We were completely remodeling a room that hadn't been updated in almost 15 years, so there was all kinds of unwanted knick-knacks and home-improvement trash inside the bin. Stuffed so full the lid had to be wedged off and on. :surprise:

Yay for the easy-clean cargo mat. My rubber mat is actually the excuse my brother used for not wanting to load it into his Pathfinder (it was mostly HIS stuff) when taking it to a dumpster - "But yours will clean out easier!" Fortunately nothing spilled!
  • elmo008elmo008 Member Posts: 2
    I am a girl and I really don't know too much about cars... but I've gotta start somewhere and hopefully someone here can shed some light on these 2 vehicles for me. I am looking into buying a crossover that I can drive up to the skiing resorts during the winter season. I've researched some and shortlisted my choices down to these 2. What are some of the pros and cons of these 2 vehicles and which would you prefer? I tried reading the other threads and have a general idea but would like to see if someone can assess these 2 specifically for me. I am considering 2006 and 2007 models depending on price. Any comments would be appreciated.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Aside from any technical specifications, I would observe that the X3 is manufactured in snow country (Bavaria) while the Infiniti is not. I'm sure others will have more to say. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Either one will do the job.

Tell us more about how you will use it.

Do you need lots of cargo space? How long is your commute, and is it city or highway? How many passengers ride with you typically? Do you drive hard and hit the apex at every turn, or leisurely and prefer quiet isolation?

Both of your choices fall on the sporty/compact side of the segment. They should be fine for up to 3-4 people and not too much luggage. You may find the ride stiff if you commute on city streets with lots of pot holes, so choose the wheel size carefully. You can get 20" rims on the Infiniti but that may be overkill.

Have you driven either one yet?
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Do you drive hard and hit the apex at every turn

Yo Juice, I'm pretty sure that someone who states that "I really don't know too much about cars" is probably not going to know what you're talkin about :P

Personally, I don't care for the beetle-like looks of the FX and the resulting lack of usable interior space. The X3 is a nice vehicle but the Lexus RX 330/350 is worth a serious look.

-Frank
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The X3 does a great imitation of sports sedan, while the RX 330 does a great imitation of a crossover.

Ken
    That's why I asked. ;)
  • elmo008elmo008 Member Posts: 2
    I have yet to test drive either one of them but I just wanted to research more and see if they're even worth my time.

I live alone so it would typically be just me, my commute to work is about 20mins, 1/2 city 1/2 highway. However, during the winter season, I do like to drive about 3-4hrs to the skiing resort. Typically, my friends would car pool with me so I would like to have a little bit more cargo room for 4-5 people's weekend bags. Both of these cars' cargo space would be bigger than my A4 now. Mild driver, unless I'm running late but I don't typically break hard.

Would you mind sharing more on the difference between 18 and 20" wheels? Also, do these cars require a lot of maintenance? My A4 is about 10yrs old and it's getting expensive for me to fix. WIth the FX35, what are your views on the blind spot that people talked about? Is it serious enough to cause accidents?
    When I sit in an FX I feel that visibility is not good. The rear most side windows are tiny so for me there is a blind spot. I was driving a Forester, which has excellent visibility from big windows, so the difference was rather pronounced.

Consider a backup camera or rear sonar parking assist, those should help.

The X3 is better in that regard, boxier shape plus bigger windows.

As for the rims, 20" rims seem to be in fashion nowadays, but what happens is the tire sidewalls get shorter, so there isn't a lot to absorb an impact. Bumps feel stiffer and noisier. On smooth roads this is OK, but on broken roads and speed bumps this may become annoying to you.

Just make sure you get a long enough test drive, turn off the radio, drive in the conditions you will encounter every day. Ask yourself if the ride is too stiff? Do the same for any test drive, come to think of it.

I'll make another suggestion - since it's auto show season, head to one of those, if there is one locally. You can check out both cars and some competitors in a non-pressure environment, without pushy salesmen.

I took my family to the DC auto show last year, and we "test fit" several vehicles, and narrowed our choices down quite a bit. Then we only had to test drive those few vehicles.
  • mchale33mchale33 Member Posts: 1
    The post below says it all, nothing on the road could compete with the performance, features and style of the FX; not to mention that it's Black with a graphite interior and the contrast with all that chromo, gives it a touch of elegance above all other colors. I just picked it up a couple of days ago and love it.

Yeah my ego is real bruised by the XT. I don't own an infinti because of the name shoot infiniti is the bottom of the luxo barrel. If I was really into prestige I would own a c230k just so I could say I had a benz.

In my mind nothing on the road has the performance, features and style of the FX. I guess that is why you don't see us on this thread trying to "justify" our purchase. Are there better alternatives sure but to me they costs tons more.

The same reason you bought your XT is the reason I bought my FX. I couldn't justify spending 4k more on the V8 or 8k more on the X5 or 15k more on the cayenne. Because the FX35 met all my needs at a price point I was comfortable with.

I can understand the appeal of the x3 3.0 (the 2.5 is ludicrous just lke a cayenne v6) I have driven one and it is a delight. I however find the interior tacky and it costs the same as my car while lacking many of the features.

Therefore I am very happy with my purchase. If speed and cargo carrying capability is your thing go for the XT no bones about it it is a good ride but it doesn't have the features or style I was looking for.

Style is a lot different than prestige. Target sells stylish stuff that has no prestige and there are plenty of prestigous stuff to me that has no style. I just hope you guys enjoy your XT's and X3's a quarter of the amount I enjoy my FX.
    Style, just like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Something that I consider stylish you quite possibly might view as being plain ugly and vice versa. Style is also historically fickle, what is "hot" right now more often than not is completely out-of-date before you know it. Sure some styles become classics but most do not age well.

And while style may be one of your top priorities, for others it may be performance, fuel efficiency, towing capacity, off-road ability, cargo capacity, etc.

-Frank
    "Style is a lot different than prestige. Target sells stylish stuff that has no prestige and there are plenty of prestigous stuff to me that has no style. I just hope you guys enjoy your XT's and X3's a quarter of the amount I enjoy my FX. "

In two words, "I do".
    What, so my mullet and Members Only jacket from the 80s are outdated now? ;)
  • flzzflzz Member Posts: 19
    BRAVO!
  • mugwompmugwomp Member Posts: 21
    I cannot WAIT to take on a 2002 WRX (0-60 in 7.x sec) with my '04 F-XT (0-60 in 5.2 sec) at a green lite one of these days... Maybe the WRX owners should pump themselves up a bit acknowledging the lineage and similarities...

Good luck, edunnett.

0-60 in a 2002 WRX is @ 5.7 seconds.

2004 Forester XT @ 8 seconds.

Nevermind how differently a Forester and a WRX handle - regardless, you would not have a chance...
    2004 Forester XT 8 seconds.

Actually it depends on who's doing the testing (along with a host of environmental factors). Car & Driver (Aug 2003) clocked a 5-speed 2004 Forester XT doing 0-60 in 5.3 sec. For comparison purposes, that's a tenth of a second faster than the 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i (C&D Jan 2003) ;)

-Frank
    Who got 8 seconds? Grandma?

Even Consumer Reports, the slow pokes of the industry, was quicker than that. I've never seen anything that wasn't in the 5-6-7 range, even for the automatic.
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "... now that the X-3 is now a part of this discussion, it gives you a legit excuse to do so. And... knowing you, your report back would be most entertaining."

Especially in view of the automatic transmission hesitation problem.
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Hey guys im also looking at a used car right now. The two ive narrowed it down to now are the BMW x3 and Infiniti FX. I did BMW driving school which was awesomee, so i kinda wanted to stay loyal to BMW, but i know theyre expensive to maintain and i was thinking the fx would be a little more reliable. Ive driven both, and the bmw seems to be more of an suv (atleast the driving position) whereas the infiniti feels like a jacked up sports car when youre sitting in it (which is pretty cool, ive never been in a car like that). What i cant figure out is which one handles better...I drove both pretty hard, and the fx35 was a little peppier. But in terms of handling, they were both AWESOME for suvs. Which one do you guys think is a better handler on road? and i can assume the x3 is better offroad as well. Any opinions or help would be great!
    Thanks!
  • luvdacubsluvdacubs Member Posts: 1
    I should be enjoying this adventure of test driving cars/suv's but I've actually found it to be overwhelming and frustrating. I currently have a Toyota Sienna that has 164,000 miles on it. It has been a trooper. Served it's purpose well. I'm looking for the NEXT car/suv. I obviously don't trade out cars often so I figure I'll have it for awhile. My husband wants me to get a 4 Runner. I don't know that I want to drive a TRUCK. I was thinking it was time for some fun if possible while transporting two teenagers and a large dog. I drove an FX 45 and feel in love. No cargo space though. I have also driven an MDX, pilot, highlander, lexus 470, and MB R series.
    The Mercedes Benz was amazingly large. I like the second row bucket seats and it handles nice. What else should I try?
    I guess you don't want another minivan?

I have a new Sienna and that 3.5l V6 is a gem. I brought home 50 bags of lava rocks this week. Everything fits.

It may be big if you only have 2 kids, though. Do they bring friends along a lot of the time?
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Definitely check out the Audi Q7. Its got the room of the R-Class (and the bucket seats in the back as an option), the style and drive of the FX, and the luxuriousness of the Lexus and Mercedes. Ive had mine for a little over a year and its the best car Ive owned by far. No problems with reliability, looks awesome, drives AMAZINGLY. Make sure you give it a try I bet you'd like it the most out of all the cars you've looked at
    If you're checking out the Q7 might was well check out the X5. It's a dream on wheels and handles and drives amazingly. If you spring for the 4.8L you can burn rubber.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    I looked at both of these and it became apparent the BMW was downright cramped for driver footspace due to a huge transmission tunnel. Long trips would have been no fun.
    The '09 Forester proved somewhat better, if no match for the Honda CR-V. Still it had just enough footroom for me.
This discussion has been closed.