Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Comments

• wsag26wsag26 Member Posts: 124
    I hate the vehicle, totally (except for the interior). Good job Nissan. You've made an ugly SUV again. I think Nissan should just stick to the Armada. They don't need another Pathfinder.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    I agree, the exterior is fricken WEIRD. Too bad Chevy can't build an interior like that though. :)
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    i think its totally fine.

eye of the beholder i guess.

at least its not an ION freakshow.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    I almost bought an Armada. Everything is great except for the fact that I actually do not need 9100lb towing and some minor exterior and interior dislikes. i.e. Armada is beyond what I need. The new Pathfinder looks mighty fine to me. Even though I wish they had put the 5.6L V8 in it (instead of 4.0 V6 in pictures), I am one potential buyer for it as of now.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Kudos to Nissan for actually sticking almost entirely to having the new Pathfinder look like the DuneHawk concept! I loved the DuneHawk, and I love the new Pathfinder. It's MUCH better looking than the Armada.

You guys are too conservative if you don't like this design. It's aggressive and progressive. It's sculptured design isn't watered down at all, like many SUVs that move from concept to production guise. It has a real muscular stance to it, that really sets it apart from other vehicles on the road.

If the H3 SUV looks as cool as the H3T, it'll be a no-brainer next fall when I trade my truck in, but I'm going to give the new Pathfinder some serious consideration, along with the redesigned '05 Grand Cherokee.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    I think the new Pathy looks pretty good....certainly a lot better than the new 4Runner (and with 7 passenger seating to boot!)
    2 things: I know it's kind of a signature, but those rear door handles suck...it you have kids, it's almost impossible for them to reach, let alone operate. And, are they going to drop the Pathfinder part of "Pathfinder Armada"? What's wrong with just Armada?
    Speaking of names, even the new Pathfinder is getting a little big for it's name, although it is somewhat more svelte than the Armada. I mean, how many paths could your find your way down in that boat!
    Is it really a 4.0L V6 powering this new SUV?? Wow, Nissan finally stopped using the VQ 3.5 in all their cars!! :)
    That interior looks so ugly, I'll puke. The Nissan Maxima's interior is just like the Cadillac CTS (almost) and its bad. Personally, everythings bad.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    is nice, but the exterior to me works better on the larger Armada than the smaller Pathfinder.
  • bfulbrightbfulbright Member Posts: 1
    probably grow on me, but I have to agree with previous post about the rear door handles. At least they have started to make them body colored. When I bought my 01 LE I was surprised it did not come with body colored door handles. The new Pathfinder looks like an Armada clone, just a little smaller. The look is a little too boxy for my taste.
    "That interior looks so ugly, I'll puke."

You're just saying that because Nissan has something to compete with the gawdawful TrailBlazer. Typical GM fanatics..can't respect another car, er SUV. It looks very well built inside with so much luxury! Please, I'll take this over a TrailBlazer anyday....you make me laugh. :)
  • lawsonblawsonb Member Posts: 7
    Any word on whether the 2005 Pathfinder will still have the option of a manual transmission?
    I was surprised that the automatic doesn't have a manual shift mode! Heck, the Murano has a manual shift on it's "transmission". It would've worked better on a real automatic, not a CVT which hogs all the HP up. :)
  • hutch85hutch85 Member Posts: 8
    I really don't like the gold one, but for some reason the last few pics in silver look better to me. Maybe I'm biased, owning a silver '02 :)

I dunno, the interior doesn't do much for me, maybe I'll have a different opinion seeing it in person. And I'm not so sure about the front-end treatment, it just doesn't seem like the "Pathfinder style". It suits the Armada better, IMHO.

Maybe I'm just stuck on the current Pathfinder generation...
    I agree that the new Nissan SUV stying works best on the larger Pathfinder Armada than it does on the smaller Pathfinder.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    For 2004, the 4Runner is available with a 3RD row seat, I'm pretty sure....

Overall, I like the distinctive look of the new Pathfinder and Frontier, and I'm glad they've adapted the 3.5L VQ for real truck. I'll admit Im a little disappointed in the interior of the Maxima, but the Patherfinders looks better, IMO.

~alpha
    I researched 4Runner, almost bought it until I found out that if you choose 3rd row seats, a lot of options becomes unavailable for no obvious reasons. GPS, for example. It make you wonder why? Probably Toyata want me to buy 50K+ Gx470 instead, which I won't. Too bad. Besides, 4Runners with 3rd seats are hard to find, according to my salesman if you can trust him, that is...
    All seats fold flat (unlike Armada - base of 2nd row fold vertical). See official link from Nissan.

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/0,,action-NStaticLoader_path-@ni- ssan@future@static@futureModels,00.html

BTW, Nissan says (250+hp, and 270+ lb-ft) for the new VQ 4.0 V6. I wish they make the 5.6L V8 in Armada available in Pathfinder also..
    nobody would buy the Pathfinder Armada. Does the Pathfinder have optional third row seats?
  • ric29ric29 Member Posts: 1
    Here's my problems with the new pathfinder;
    It's got a 10 horsepower increse and a similar torque increase, but the weight is definitely going to go way up, which means it will be weaker. The Truck based frame means trucklike handling, which is not horrible, seeing that it probably wants to be distanced from the Murano. Things like the skyview roof, as seen in the concept, aren't on it, and neither is sonar parking or a rear camera, which is now essential in the class; I see zero innovations. Styling wise, it looks exactly like the new frontier with a bed shell, which is what the Xterra should have looked like. My biggest complaint is the engine. The V8 should be an option. The smaller 4Runner, GM, Ford, and Mercury all offer V8s as options. If the Xterra will be again fronteir based, with the same engine, it will end up being more powerful than the pathfinder, which makes no sense, b/c no one will buy the pathfinder The Armada will still sell, Ford's V8 explorer is as popular as the expedition.
    before it is too late. I hope Nissan is watching this...
    - make backup sensor standard (std in PF Armada) - at least optional
    - make 5.6L V8 optional (std in PF Armada)
    - make backup camera integrated with GPS (optional)
      Don't keep all goodies for Infiniti like Toyota do to Lexus.

P.S. jchan2, the 3rd row seat is standard.
    Youre making very big assumptions. Yes, weight has gone up, but is it that considerable to overcome the new engine/transmission combination? The new 4.0 V6 will likely need far fewer revs to reach peak power and torque, and depending on how well it is matched to the transmission, it may (or may not) make up for increased weight. The V8 4Runner, from what I have read, is not quicker than the lighter V6 (which offers simlar power to the new Pathfinder), and its only advantage is if you tow OFTEN. This, while suffering worse fuel economy. I feel that the V8 in the 4Runner is mostly a psychological option for guys who need tough V8s in thier ladder frame macho trucks. I DONT see many V8 Runners on the road. That said, Nissans V8 is almost an entire liter larger than Toyotas, and I highly doubt that Nissan could shoehorn it in the engine bay of the new Path w/o significatn modification.

I believe that Car and Driver clocked the current PF in the mid 8s to 60 with the 3.5L VQ. I dont really believe the new PF will drop below that.

~alpha
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I was at the Detroit show yesterday and saw the new Pathfinder and Frontier. They both look great. Nissan did a super job on these two! If you like the Armada and Titan, but want something a bit more manageable, these are your rides. Think of them a 7/8 scale versions of the big trucks.

Bob
  • donleungdonleung Member Posts: 22
    Pathfinder advantages:
    - 5 speed automatic versus 4 speed, I thought I read this was derived from the Armada/Titan 5 speed auto which might mean it's exceptionally strong for the V6
    - Independent rear suspension (better onroad and rough road ride)
    - maybe better initial design incorporating 3rd row seats rather than add on as in 4Runner. The 4Runner seats aren't very convenient to store up against the back side windows.
    - probably more BHP and torque (later design knowing what is needed to beat the competition)

4Runner advantages
    - Live rear axle probably gives better offroad capability. Most 4 wheel independent suspensions lack sufficient suspension travel (especially droop), offroad these vehicles usually have at least 1 wheel in the air on rough surfaces. This is why I assume the Pathfinder has an Advanced Offroad Traction control system to keep the wheel in the air from spinning without sending power to the wheel(s) on the ground.
    - Power rear window, you don't know how many times I've had something long (ladder, lumber, etc.) sticking out the back of my 96 4Runner
    - V8 if you really need it

At this point in time I'll have to see which of these two I would prefer, it's going to be an interesting yearend comparing the two!
  • geodude19geodude19 Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in what this puppy will have as a max tow rating. Does anyone know? I'm assuming it'll be in the same ballpark as 4Runner, Explorer, Trailblazer, which would max out around 7000lbs.

I'm also interested in what the wheelbase will be, another important ingredient for towing a 23' hybrid trailer. The current 4Runner's wheelbase is too short for towing a trailer that long...
    I didn't say in my post that the Trailblazer's interior is cute. How do you know I even think it is? FYI: The Trailblazer's interior is ugly... and so is the Pathfinder's..
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Ready to buy a mid-suv soon. The 04 are virtually non existant on dealer lots.

Has anyone tried the 3rd row seat, what size person can fit in there? The 4runners 3rd row is for 6 years old only, the explorers can fit a 6 footer( me ).
    I just thought it was logical since you think that every GM car is better than the competition...
  • mrmaximamrmaxima Member Posts: 4
    I just left the Auto Show, The '05 PF looks a WHOLE LOT bigger...
    so make your decision when you see it up close, you GM tightwads
    LOL..GM tightwads<<perfect name!
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Will the new Pathfinder retain the console-mounted handbrake?
  • 2fastdre2fastdre Member Posts: 59
    First, I want to put to rest any doubts about non-significant increase of power in the new VQ4.0 V6. Nissan says 250+ hp and 270+ ft-lb? Yes, they said 300+ hp and 370+ ft-lb for the new 5.6 V8. Then it turned out that the V8 is rated at 305 hp and 379 ft-lb. Then one guy from nissanforums website took his brand new Titan to the dyno and put down rear wheel HP number equal to the 5.7 Hemi and greater Torque number than the Hemi. So you can reason that Nissan V8 actually makes close to 335 hp and 390 ft-lb. It's either that or Dodge's transmition wastes a larger percentage of the power. In any case - Nissan is being very conservative and cautious when advertizing the power ratings. If you extend this reasoning to the new VQ 4.0 V6, then you can expect the real power rating to be near 275 hp and 295 ft-lb! These are awesome numbers for a V6. These numbers equal or exceed the Explorer V8 and the current Grand Cherokee V8.
    I did a comparo a couple of weeks ago, and I think I came up with the new PF wheelbase to be about 5.5 inches longer than current PF.
    The platform of the new PF and Fronti is basically the same as the Armada and Titan. So onroad handling will further improve. Offroading capability is not likely to improve any.

I don't have anything against the 4Runner except the price. The PF always had a price advantage here.

So - I am looking forward to trading my 2001 PF SE for the new PF (but I think I will wait until 2007 or 2008 - so that I get good use out of my current Pathy and so that most new Pathy glitches are worked out).

2FastDre.
  • glenski01glenski01 Member Posts: 44
    A little torn, my lease on my 01 Pathfinder is up end of March. This is my 3rd trouble free Pathfinder. Really like the 4Runner, and know it is trouble free as well, and the v8 is smooth. Nisan credit has been rude and said they could careless if I wanted to wait, I could only extend lease a month. My preferred dealer said arrangements could be made to wait until 05 arrives in Sept or Oct. Will the new Pathfinder be worth the wait (apparently only a v6 will be offered) or should I just get the 4Runner?
    As it stands now, the production of Titan, Armada and QX56 all require the 5.6L V8. They probably could not spare the volume for the new PF. After 1 or 2 years, you probably would see the V8 as an option like 4Runner. Or, the Infiniti version of PF probably would have the V8 as standard (like Lexus GX470 from 4Runner).
    BTW, I suggest you return the lease and lease an used car for 6 months from elsewhere.
    I understand your logic, however, you must consider that IF Nissan offers a V8 in the Pathfinder in a year or so, it may not be the 5.6L we all know and love now. Think about it. The 5.6L is a whole 1.6L greater in displacement, than the 4.0L. I find it hard to believe that the two would be similar in physical size, and think it would be a real stretch for Nissan to get that size engine in the 2005 Pathfinder's engine bay without some type of modification.

~alpha
    If you look at the engine bay of a BMW 530, you would wonder how they fit an 4.5L V8 in there. But they did and with room to spare. Some also argued that a PF with V8 would take away market of PFA. For Nissan, they should more about PF+PFA taking market from other makers. A counter example is the BMW 540 and 740. They are in different classes. People who needs towing would still go with PFA (weight, brake and wheel base are important for towing, not just engine displacement). People like me who demand performance while needing reasonable utility, 3-row seat PF with V8 are PERFECT.
    If it ever gets a V8 option, it most likely will be a truck-tuned version of the 4.5L found in the Q/M45, not the 5.6 Armada/Titan engine. They may even goose the displacement a bit to ~ 4.8L, just as they goosed the 3.5 VQ engine to 4.0 for Frontier/Pathfinder applications.

Bob
  • sivisivi Member Posts: 20
    when does the 05 pathfinder hit the showroom floor?
    try nissannews.com They might offer some information.
    the new Pathfinder and Frontier will arrive.

Bob
  • sivisivi Member Posts: 20
    it is just my wife and i who hardly need a second row seat, why would i need a childrens third row seat? i think the 3rd ,could be much better used for storage.
  • laundryguylaundryguy Member Posts: 89
    That boxy back end will provide head room for those sitting in the third row. This coming from a guy who bought a Honda Odyssey because that boxy look gave 1 to 1.5 inches more headroom in the back seat. Probably not a big deal for those who don't have 6 or more in the car often.

Regarding horsepower, 250 hp plenty of hp for boats to 3500 lbs. About 90% of SUV's never tow a thing regularly - just luxury city/surburban commuter rides.

For those that really tow stuff, 300 hp needed for boats to 5000 lbs, maybe more if mountains are involved. My 1997 Pathy (circa 170 hp) is underpowered getting on the highway here in the flat midwest, can't imagine pulling 2900 lbs through mountains. My 2004 minivan, with 240 hp, blows it away - boy have times changed in just 7 yrs.

I'll be looking to pick up a 2005 or 2006 Pathfinder used in 2007 or 2008 when my 1997 Pathy hits 150,000 miles.
    and running. You can build your new 2005 Pathfinder. Here is the link:

http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/ConfiguratorPathfinder/1,9776,3- 3857,00.html

Have fun.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,278
    The pictures look like the 05 pathfinder only has metal sunroof. Was this the case with the older styles?
  • sevencycles2sevencycles2 Member Posts: 10
    This pic looks like metal to me..

http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/nissan2005/pathfinder/800px/- 23_2005_pathfinder.jpg

What a mistake that would be
    It's still a preproduction version. They might change it before the real thing hits dealers - hopefully.
  • mseenviromseenviro Member Posts: 64
    Does anyone know what the gross weight of the new Pathfinder will be? There is a significant tax incentive to purchase SUVs/Trucks with a Gross Weight (loaded) of 6000 lbs. or more.

Nothing like Uncle Sam paying for almost half of an SUV used for business purposes.

Thanks,

Mike
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Actually torque is what you want for towing, hp helps but torque is what gets and keeps things going. I tow a 4500lb boat with my 01 Pathfinder and very rarely do I need the 240hp. The 265ft/lbs of torque at 3200 rpm are key. When I towed my boat down to Florida from Ohio I pulled up 5-6% grades thru West Virginia w/o a problem. I was able to maintain 60 mph in 3rd gear @3200 rpm and maintain speed at about 85% throttle. I'm interested in the new 4.0L because of its additional torque output. When I'm towing I rarely need to rev past 4500 rpm while accelerating except when merging onto the highway or when absolute max acceleration is needed, as long as the 3.5l is turning around 3k rpm, I generally have power to spare.
  • 2fastdre2fastdre Member Posts: 59
    Of course, you would think that one of these days Nissan will put a decent diesel engine into its trucks. The Jeep Liberty is coming out with a diesel. That little 2.8l 4cylinder thing doesn't have much HP, but almost 300 ft-lb of Torque. Not only will that thing tow your boat,
    but it will return considerably better mileage.

By the way, do you have a separate transmission oil cooler on your Pathfinder? I will start towing a boat soon and I think I may to install one of those.

2FastDre.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I'd love to see a diesel in a midsize or full-size SUV. I know the Excursion can be had with a diesel, but I don't need a 3/4 ton chassis or anything that big. A Pathfinder or Armada sized vehicle with a diesel would be ideal.

The Liberty would be interesting with a small displacement turbo-diesel. My only real reservation regarding the Liberty, is the wheelbase length is shorter than the Pathfinder. I would like a little more wheelbase for more towing stability.

I have not installed an external trans cooler. I was told by nissan that it's not needed if you stay within the tow ratings. I have not had any trans problems what so ever. If you plan on towing a lot in hot weather or up steep grades it would probably be a good idea to install one, especially if your boat will be at the high end of the tow rating. I keep close tabs on my trans fluid condition and change it regularly. By the time I had 30K racked up I towed my boat about 10k miles and the fluid looked pretty bad. I'm at 48k now and will probably change it again soon depending on how much I tow this summer.
This discussion has been closed.