Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I am impressed. Appears as if Nissan is going to deliver a compact/midsize truck with the updated features and engineering that have been reserved for full size trucks for the last 10 years. If the quality is present then it will sell well.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    It even comes with the a class-leading V6 engine!! The crew cab will be revealed in February...New York, Chicago?? I don't know much. :)
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    they are using the same platform for the titan, armada, '05 pathie, and '05 frontier...impressive!

i especially like the use of 250+ HP for the small truck. the fully boxed frame will be a 1st in the compact truck segment. also, if you look at the jump seats in the photos, they face forward with head rests. the only thing i couldnt tell is if they offer the rear doors.
    The 4.0L V6 is based on the VQ series. The VQ series V6 has been on the Wards 10 Best Engine list for the past 10 years. It is the only engine to make the list all 10 years.
  • kyle hendokyle hendo Member Posts: 13
    very excited to pick my LE CC with sunroof package on friday! the engine marble sounds kinda freaks me out a little, is it a major problem? I was kinda upset that i did not get the RF package, because I really love my music, can anyone tell me hoe the factory stero sound? thanks--
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    I should be in the market for a mid sized truck in 05-06. This truck looks interesting. I am not much of a fan of the frontend though. I have the same reaction to the Titan also.

I will be looking for a sport truck. Lets hope Nissan is smart enough to give buyers the option of getting a Limited Slip Diff in a 2wd. To hell with traction control. A handling package with tires/wheels + front and rear sway bars also.
    nissan is very good at pricing their vehicles to allow for a little extra money to upgrade. if they dont offer it, you may be able to get NISMO equipment.
    I would haven no problem going aftermarket for everything but the LSD. I want a factory warranty on that one With that much HP you gotta have a locker or LSD. I had a 2000 Tundra 2wd V8 and I will never buy another truck with an open diff again. I don't care if they include traction control with the LSD as long as there is an off button. I don't need a full time electronic nanney.
    When you look at the pictures you can zoom in. It appears the truck in the photos is a 4WD. Zooming in on one of the center console pictures you can see what appears to be a button to lock the rear diff next to the 4wd select knob.
  • brianbmbrianbm Member Posts: 55
    If the same frame is being used for the Frontier as for the much larger Titan, should we infer that the smaller vehicle will have shorter front and rear overhangs? Be nice for offroad use if that were so.
    the frame is the same, but the sheet metal may be totally different specs.
    I owned a T100 for a while and it was about the perfect size to suit my needs. I replaced it with Tundra which I found to be a little bigger than I really needed on a day-to-day basis. So I would assume the new Front would be on a shorter wheel base than the Titan?

When is this thing supposed hit the market anyway?
    this fall...september-ish.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I've read that it's based (whatever that means?) on the Titan platform.

I saw the new Frontier and Pathfinder at Detroit last week. Even though it looks a lot like the Titan and Armada, it is decidedly smaller than those two. It's bigger than the old Frontier, but not nearly as big as the Titan. It looks to be Dakota-sized, as best I can describe it.

Bob
    Dakota sized is about prefect for me. I think the new Tacoma and Dakota hit the streets in 05 also.
  • inertiainertia Member Posts: 1
    Check out this article from Nissan that gives a pretty good overview of what to expect.

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/2005vehicles/frontier/index.shtm- l
    Pretty good spin on the new truck but to me there is far too much focus on "off road capabilities". On road capabilities are far more important in the real world since 99% of the accidents happen on pavement.

Nissan should focus more on building the best handling, stopping, and riding midsize truck on pavement that you can get. Throw in a 4wd version for those who think they really need it. Lift kits, big tires, and offroad shocks/springs that will screw up the ride and handling are available in the aftermarket.
  • nissanman2nissanman2 Member Posts: 4
    I'M SURE GOING TO MISS THAT FRONT END ON THE 2003-04 FRONTIER. THATS WHAT MADE THE TRUCK SO DIFFERENT FOM THE REST!!!!!!NISSAN,DON'T CHANGE IT IF IT SELLS......GEEEEEZ!!!!!!!BUMMER!!!!!!!!!
  • breezemanbreezeman Member Posts: 3
    I agree w/ "nissanman2". The look of the '02-'04 is very distinctive. At first, I hated the look of the Frontiers. Then, it kinda grew on me. It's BIG & BOLD for a small truck.
    The new 250+ h.p will be a big boost for this truck. It definitely needs it.
    I can hardly wait until the Chicago Auto Show in a few weeks. Most likely, they probably won't let anyone get near it; like they did when they introduced the Titan.
  • racheysdadracheysdad Member Posts: 19
    I agree with the last 2 posters. I'd love to have a more powerful engine in my 01' Frontier, but I wouldn't trade it looks for anything. The current model looks tough, especially the roof rack/bar treatment. The new pics look like a Titan Jr. I understand the philosophy to create the look and feel of vehicles being part of the same family, ala' Ford's Explorer/Expedition But you still need to maintain the right balance of distinctiveness across the product line. For instance I really have a hard time telling the difference between an Altima and the New Maxima.
  • 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    the new frontier is not as sporty-looking as the current version. it appears more work-like in an industrial way, but it's not very nimble-looking. more clunky and fat. i prefer the outgoing style myself. too bad nissan didn't just give it more power, wider rear doors, more interior space, and a general freshening up. double bummer.
    as a nissan salesman, i can say with full confidence that we lose more deals over the looks of the frontier than we gain. i like it too, but if i sell more with a generic look, then im happy. ;-)
    Either you really like it or not. I like the styling on the 05 and hated the current Frontier's styling. Too much darn plastic on the front end of the current Frontier and the front end did not even look truck-like to me.
    Previously I owned a 98 Frontier and the 05 seems like an evoulution of the earlier Frotier and hardbody truck styling.
    What I really would like to see is real bumpers on trucks, not these plastic/metal ones.
    toyota tried the "nice ride" approach and no serious truck buyer even thinks of a tacoma or tundra. off-road capabilities usually go hand-in-hand with hauling and towing capabilities. they build a truck to be a truck. if you want a soft ride and good handling, wait for the honda SUT to come out...its got a massive V6 and independent (sic) suspension. (NOT a truck)
    I was serious and I bought a 2wd Tundra and the Tundra is still selling pretty well. I only sold mine because I got out of the racing game and didn't need it anymore. You don't need 4wd to tow, you are just dragging around a lot extra of dead weight and getting worse gas mileage. A 2wd with and LSD or locker will get you everywhere 90% of the people go who have 4x4 trucks or suvs IMHO.
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/16558/index.html

Seriously, the Tacoma is one of if not the most off road cabable truck being sold.
    Nice to see that the next gen. Frontier is adding more off road capability similar to the Toyota TRD equipment.

You are deluding yourself if you hauling and towing capability equal off road capability. A Jeep has minimal hauling and towing capability and excels off road. An F350 has impressive towing and hauling capability and is terrible off road.
  • got1bgot1b Member Posts: 48
    Bowke, or anyone else who may know,
    When will the new Frontier go on sale? The pictures of the doudle cab are real nice, IMO better then any of the previous models. The Nissan news site says for sale winter 2004, which I believe has just passed. I called one of the local dealerships, they hadn't a clue. Also, any details on its off road capability? They mentioned it would have packaging for that. Do you know if it will be comparable to the Tacoma's TRD packaging with the rear locker? I'd think with its engine, usable cargo box system, and off road capabilities to the Tacoma, Nissan would have one fine, well selling vehicle. Head over heals above the GM twin trucks.
    It is going to be a late introduction. September to December 04. Winter 2004 is the one that STARTS in 2004, so it is not over;)
    If the Frontier is not selling well, and it is not, then perhaps Nissan may stop the line to retool early, although I doubt it.
  • fajing6fajing6 Member Posts: 7
    On the Future Vehicles section you can now build and price the Frontier King and Crew Cabs.

Seems a bit pricy. What happened to affordable compact pickups?
    the prices are not only right in line, but even better than most competitors. the ford ranger is the #1 small pickup. it only offers a supercab, and no crew cab. even the supercab with only 215 HP and less interior space gets up in the $28k range. an LE 4x4 with the same equipment as a ranger fx4 goes for about $25.9k

as far as a crew cab, you are competing with the sport trak, dakota, and tacoma. the frontier crew LE with the same equipment as a loaded sport trak tops out around $30500. the sport trak gets above $33k. the dakota goes up to around $33k, and the tacoma doesnt offer nearly as much equipment, and still gets close to $30k.

i think nissan hit the nail right on the head with pricing.
    The street price for the ranger and the dakota are easily $4K-$6K below MSRP with all the factory and dealer discounts that are flying around.
    really??? where?? please tell me so i can go buy a bunch.

seriously, dude, we have a ford franchise here, too. the rangers are only marked up about $1700 in a $26k model. take that and a $2k rebate and, yes, you are down $3700. nissan keeps about a 10% markup, which would put a $26k frontier about $23k-$23.5k invoice.

given the frontier being all-new, and offering more stuff and capabilities, wouldnt it be worth a little extra money ($1k or so)?
    $6000 and more off of MSRP for Ranger 4WD extended cabs at Carmax in Kenosha. How many are you going to buy, dude?
    sells used cars, man.
    Carmax sells new Nissans, Toyota, Dodge, Chrysler, Scion, Ford, Mitsubishi, and Chevrolet.

Anyone connected to the internet can figure that out.
    I just priced out a new Frontier. With the off-road package and all the options it came to $30,800. I've priced a sport trac at about $33,000. The price seems reasonable. I think the price will also be lower when its introduced, atleast have rebates or sell for less than MSRP. At the same time Nissan launches the new Frontier, Dodge will offer the new Dakota, Toyota the new Tacoma and Honda the SUT (I know, not quite a truck but close enough to affect the market). this will all work in our favor in the same way that the F-150/Titan launch worked well for the consumer. IMO the competition will be even greater. All of these new vehicles will have their advantages. The fall can not come fast enough.

I'm glad though that Nissan is asking us for our opinions and putting out information. Toyota is hush, hush and its fairly irritating.
    Bring a car transporter to Portland, OR and you can fill it up with new rangers at $6K off MSRP. The Ford truck lots are over flowing with them and there is a lot of competition between the Ford dealers.

I have no problem paying a little more for better technology and quality if it truly is better. The all new Frontier is all new so it remains to be seen how good it will be in the real world.
    I would certainly hope the new Nissan would be significantly better then the Ranger whose basic design is 10 years old. With 250+ HP it should be significantly quicker. The bed design should be much more useful and the off road package should make it better in that category. I would assume its ride and manueverability will also be better.

Again, with all the new "Mid-size" vehicles coming out, Nissan will have to competively compete in thi9s market price wise. For instance take Dodge. I can go down and for $25,000 get a 4x4 Ram with a Hemi and a decent amount of amenities. Therefor, a similarly equipped Dakota will have to be about $2,000 less, otherwise why buy it. This should help keep Nissan's prices down.

The question is, what will happen to Ford? Their vehicle remake is been posptoned again for another year or so. There rebates will have to go even deeper to make win people over on value alone. I'm not sure thery can afford that. Also, the Ranger does not offer a Crew Cab configuration, which now accounts for a sizable amount of the market. A well equipped Sport Trac still comes in around $30,000, while offering a smaller engine, marginal relaibility, off road capability and handling. I wish they 'd put some money ionto an update because I like the back window, SUV feel inside and the cargo bed with the tonnaue.
  • demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    First off, the truck looks like a winner for Nissan. I'm glad they've been giving us info, unlike the 05 Tacoma. I'm holding on to my problematic Ranger till the 05's come out. Its gonna be a toss-up between the Frontier and Tacoma. Anyone know the bed length on the short box? Nissan has always have the shortest box. Hoping a couple inches beyond 5 feet... Also, any word on a long box crew cab? Like the fact the 6 spd manual is still available, except on the model I would probabably get, the crew cab off-road. I hope this changes. Hope to see these this fall rather than winter!
    nissan doesnt have the shortest box for a crew cab, the sport trak does. as far as king cab, the frontier has the longest. the only bed in the compact segment thats as long is the regular cab ranger LWB.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I was a the NY auto show yesterday, and the new Dakota was on display. I really think this truck now has enough width between the wheelwells to lay plywood flat on the bed floor. I'm hoping the same will be possible with the new (and larger) Frontier.

Bob
  • dbloyedbloye Member Posts: 3
    I have seen references to pricing out a 2005 Frontier. I am unable to locate any links that would permit me to do that. How did you contributors do that? Thanks.
    dbloye
    Grand Rapids, MI
    nissanusa.com under future vehicles
  • coveredicoveredi Member Posts: 20
    If anyone else has been looking for a cab high topper for their 05 CC Frontier, I finally found a manufacturer who has one. I just ordered one from ARE. All the other manufacturers have been telling me for the last three months that they would have one out "In about 6 weeks." But now, three months later, only one company has actually released their offering.

Just in case any of you guys were getting as annoyed with this as I was!
    I just received my information packet in the mail. It loks like the truck will hit dealerships in December. The tow rating is now at 5,500 lbs. It seems like the're still finalizing their marketing strategy. They asked what I own from the following list: boat/ wave runner, lawn equipment, camping equipment, primary home, second home, ATVs, ect. Not much more information. However, the extended cab had some real nice rims.

Does anyone know if an after market tonneau cover is maid that is similar to the sport trac's split one? I really like that design.
    is the ordering window for the 1st 2005 frontiers.
  • pbarnpbarn Member Posts: 2
    I read in Truck Trend that the v6 in the new frontier would require unleaded premium. Anyone else got any info on this?..Lets hope they dont do that, I dont think most of us would pop for the hi test stuff.
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    Its funny the brochure says nothing about HI TEST fuel. It says 4.0 /250 hp/ 270 torque. The brochure I got does not say much of anything. Maybe there is a better brochure out that I do not have. GAS MILEAGE & Type of gas is going to decide weather I buy the truck
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    The question of premium fuel comes up in a lot of forums. If you think about it, it is not that big a deal. If you drive 15k per year and average 16 mpg, based upon a $.20 differential between regular and premium, you will end up spending an additional $187 per year, or about $15 per month (50 cents per day).

I agree that I would rather not get a vehicle that requires premium, but it should not be a deal killer.
    i might be wrong, but i HIGHLY doubt that nissan will nake frontier buyers buy premium fuel.

that would be a marketing fopa (sp?) of the highest magnitude.