Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• canadianguy1canadianguy1 Member Posts: 22
    I have a thunk in mine too. But only when I first start the vehicle and drive away. It happens everytime I hit 20km. After I come to a stop and accelerate again, it disappears. I brought it to a dealership and they tightened one of the differential bolts. Someone told me it could be an ABS sensor sticking. I know this information probably doesn't help, but I'm curious to hear what the dealer tells you.

Good Luck
  • txsfiremantxsfireman Member Posts: 4
    13 '' at the rear axel do you have a pic of your truck if so can you post it at car domain so i can see it i might get that one and not wait on the 5'' how about a body lift heard anything???
  • jscobeyjscobey Member Posts: 3
    Can you buy and LE without a roof rack? They look so trashy.
  • jdunne78jdunne78 Member Posts: 11
    Unfortunately, no. Unless you get a king cab.

The SE and Nismo CC's do not come with roof racks. The Nismo adds it if you get the sunroof.
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    Herb Gordon in Silver Spring MD.

Their region goes from MD to NJ so there may be a better selection in that area.

81 Trekker
  • sskarmarsskarmar Member Posts: 3
    I have had my Nismo 4X4 for 2 weeks and just today it started "thunking" on the first shift then not again until I restart the car. Guess it's going around.
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    Hey what gas MPG's are you getting ,I just turned 2300and I'm getting 23.4 on the Highway and about 19in city,I'm so happy !! :shades: since I owned a Chevy S-10 -20014WD 4.3 lt. that only got 17.35 on the Highway.

This truck kiss Axx is all I can say,
    I have the
    Le cc- 4WD /sb,Auto, its white.
  • phillyfrontierphillyfrontier Member Posts: 17
    Just curious if anybody out there bought a 2006 yet? Did Nissan do any noticeable tweeks on it? I heard they were going to add the 6ft box option on the CC, but nothing official yet. My 03 CC with the 6ft bed is just perfect for my needs. I'm not trading it in until they offer the option.
  • dchiltondchilton Member Posts: 3
    I've ordered one, the dealer didn't give me an option for a 6ft bed. LE, 4x4, CC, White, sunroof, limited slip, side air bag, rockford stereo. Shipping early Dec.
  • sskarmarsskarmar Member Posts: 3
    The Nissan website doesn't offer a 6 foot bed on the crew cab.

Regarding gas mileage, I'm getting between 17 and 18 with mixed driving and quite surprised it is this good with less than 1k miles on the vehicle.
    dosen't this truck rock!! :shades:
    I'm going back to the dealership tommorrow to take care of the voluntary recall notice. (to install a sub wiring harness). I'll ask them to track down that thunk while I'm there. Here is a good site that shows service bulletins and recalls. http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Frontier/2005/1.htm
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 39
    How did you get the notice for the recall on your sub? Is it doing anything in particular?
    Mine makes some funny feedback sounds occasionally so I am wondering if mine might have an issue?
    Sorry, i didn't mean a wiring harness for a sub woofer. On the recall notice, it said the dealer would install a sub harness, for anyone who tows a trailer. Supposedly, if the wiring on the trailer is faulty or is hooked up incorrectly it could cause a short in the frontier's.
    Just heard from the dealership. The "thunk" noise that appears at 20km and then never appears unless you turn off the truck, is caused by the ABS actuator. If I understand correctly, the actuator needs to register a certain speed, I guess before activating, explaining why it disappears after you reach 20 kms. Service manager and mechanic said that supposedly the X-trails make the same noise.
    Everything else seems fine on the truck, have about 8, 000kms on it..Great power.. Waiting to get the extang trifecta tonneau cover. Local dealer said they are on back order.
  • rogerfrogerf Member Posts: 8
    Dear Sir,

Looking for a good cover? Check kcovers.com for your truck.

rgferolino :)
    Thanks, I checked them out, I like the locking feature, but it seems like you have to keep checking on the side clamps to ensure everything is lined or else it won't close tightley. The thing that sold me on the extang one is that it has no side rails, just clamps on to the front and thats it.
  • jdunne78jdunne78 Member Posts: 11
    I took delivery of a 2005 LE CC 4x4 on Wednesday. Didn't get *quite* as good a price as I would have liked, but the dealer had to pull it off of a lot a state away so that hurt my ability to deal a bit with them. It was hard finding either a Black, Blue, or Storm Gray LE w/ the Fosgate package *without* the sunroof and/or leather.

I ended up paying about $500 more than I really wanted too, and also gave up the 4% financing in leu of the better rebates. But I got the truck I wanted without too much regrets...so I can live with it.

Initial impressions are as follows -

Quite simply, I am in awe at how quiet and comfortable the ride is at highway speeds. At 80MPH (which is way too easy to do in this thing) it's much much quieter and composed than my wife's Highlander or the Passat that the truck replaced. It's a night and day difference between the Tacomas. This was actually the primary reason why I went with the Fronty over the Taco.

Haven't even gone through half of a tank yet, so I can't comment on milage at this point. Still trying to baby it for a 1000 miles before I really start really dipping into the "go pedal".

I was a little underwhelmed with the Rockford upgrade when I first fired it up, but it's starting to warm up a bit with more use. I guess the subs have a break in period until they loosen up a bit.

Interior (dash especially) is a bit chunky and drab. The Tacos definitely win here, but it's functional and utilitarian without a lot of needless stuff to rattle or break down the road. It's easily made up for in price, options, and especially the ride quality over the Toyota.

Happy motoring to all fellow Fronty owners.

:)
  • georgiejrgeorgiejr Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

with all these tonneau covers, if you have the tool box, the bed divider, will this affect the installation of the cover, how does it work, clamps to the side. I am new into these trucks

• 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    I cannot speak of the tool box, but I have a Fold-a-cover tonneau cover on my LE KC and the
    bed divider fits just fine, no interference.

OkieScot
  • gt845i4ugt845i4u Member Posts: 3
    Any success story on this?
    The extang cover I bought (trifecta) uses just four small clamps that attach to the side of the bed, and the cover clamps on to that. I know they make a cover to go up to tool boxes but you have to unsnap it to open it...http://www.extang.com/docs/toolboxtonno.html..........you are talking about the tool boxes that drop into the bed and hang over the sides right? Hope this helps.
  • phillyfrontierphillyfrontier Member Posts: 17
    I got some inside info into the long box option on the crew cab. It is coming, but not until middle to late next year. The protos are due to Nissan next month. SWEET!! I can't wait until they are out.
  • ukbballfanukbballfan Member Posts: 13
    Sometimes when I'm sitting in park in my 2005 CC 2x4 LE I hear what sounds like running water behind the dash. Does it with or without the AC on. No signs of anything leaking and fluid levels are all consistently normal. Any ideas?
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    ukbballfan,

While I don't own a Frontier, I had a similar issue with this type of noise on my G35. I believe the dealer said it was an air bubble in one of the lines and they were successful in eliminating the noise. I'd have your Nissan dealer take a look at it. Good luck!
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    Mine used to do that, but I have not heard it for quite a while.
    I think it did it for the first month or two. I got mine in February.
    I have not had any problems related to it, so I have not messed with it.
  • millarmillar Member Posts: 17
    I also get that sound, particularly on start up. Since there have been no problems, I also have left it alone.
  • flaman1flaman1 Member Posts: 4
    Could someone, please, elaborate on choice between kcover and foldacover (in terms of usability, difficulty of installation, waterproofing, reliability etc.)?
    Cannot decide which one to go with...

Foldacover a little chipper($575 on ebay vs. $609 for kcover direct order from manufacturer) and seems to be bit sturdier but apparently requires removal of the front portion of Utili-Trac?

Thanks!
  • trucksrgoodtrucksrgood Member Posts: 7
    In a little over a month I should be the proud poppa of a 06 Nismio KC 4X4. I need to obtain accessories for the utili-track system. The OEM versions are very robust and costly. Is there an alternate source? I also like the concept of a bed divider....but it cost $200. Is there a way to get the attachment piece alone and build a divider?

The upgraded audio option comes with an immobilizer system. Keys are very expensive to make for this truck. Does anyone know if one can make a plain key for the door lock. This key would not work in the ignition (it will not have the embedded electronics) but will it work on the doors? Many thanks for your replies.
    I can't say about the kcover, but I installed a
    Fold-a-cover several months ago. I should say I had it installed.

I don't think it would be very difficult if you can get it lined up correctly. I wasn't
    sure I could do that.

The cover fits well and looks nice to me. I have had several compliments on it.

It is not waterproof, but so far very little water has gotten into the bed area.

It is a little awkward for me to fold the cover all the way forward, but I am 68 years old, 5' 7 1/2" tall, and weigh 130 pounds.

I think for a younger or larger person there
    would not be a problem and opening the first
    section which is what I do most of the time is no problem at all.

The only problem I have had is that the rubber seal they put on the tailgate came loose when
    I dragged something across it. So far I have not had any leaks at that point. There is also
    another seal on the rear section that covers the same area.

Good luck with your project.

OkieScot
  • jmsd1jmsd1 Member Posts: 20
    I bought a few "Uni-Stut" items. The "Cone Nut" and the "Spring Nut. These slip inside the track and you can use these with a fender washer and a simple eye bolt. Cost is just a few bucks. I got mine at Home Depot in the electrical department.
  • bottomoutbottomout Member Posts: 3
    Here's an update on the "thunk". Went to the dealer, they kept the truck 4 days! Axles removed, diff cover removed, all teeth checked, front drive line removed and driven, then replaced with known good one (off new truck) rear drive line removed and vehicle driven. Determined to be in front diff. Contacted Nissan tech group. Two other reports of this problem nation wide. Solution: loosen and retorque all front differential mounting bolts. Problem fixed. One of you guys said their dealer tightened a diff bolt. Right on! Vancouver Nissan dealership here in Vanc, Wash. did a good job with keeping me informed daily, apologizing for the delay in fixing problem.

While they had the truck they took care of the wiring harness recall issue also.

Keep on truckin!
  • hungkhungk Member Posts: 14
    Im making my own also, of these big flat square headed 5/8 X 11 tpi. bolts I got, that are for sliding into a slot, or welding on, flat and some like 1 and a half inch Dia. X .500 thick washers ( threaded ) with an arch eyelet welded across it's face kinda heavy duty but light of aluminnimum , not quite done yet but I think theyre gonna work good for my purposes , Ya I kno. im a Machinist so Its just easier, I kno , I knooo !
    Thanks for the info. That is strange, when I first brought it to the dealer, they retorqued the front differential bolts, but it still made the thunk noise at 20kms. The noise would reappear once truck was turned off. Second time I brought it to the dealer, I drove it with the mechanic. We got it up to 20kms, thunk, then nothing. Turned off the truck, started it up , reached 20kms, thunk, then nothing. He drove other pick ups and X-trails and determined it was the ABS actuator. Supposedly the computer needs to register 20kms before activating the Abs system. Maybe, Nissan will release some time of service bulletin.
  • trucksrgoodtrucksrgood Member Posts: 7
    The messageboard on TireRack has some disparaging reviews on the Rugged Trail tires on the Frontier. It seems that the wet traction is poor. Has any current Fronty owner experienced this.
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    I've read the same messageboard on TireRack and decided to exercise caution in the rain. However, I have not had any problems. The tires perform well off road in dry dirt and even in loose small rocks. No problems the few times I've been in the mud.
    I wonder if the hydro planing is more vehicle specific than tire specific. Don't know. Any tire experts out there?

81 Trekker
    has anyone had a problem with the heated seats?
    My seats don't realy get too warm on the low setting,thoe high is good...

need some Info.........

Thanks.
  • gregd64gregd64 Member Posts: 9
    I get that same noise on start-up and first taking off.. I'll pay attention to the speed Im going when it happens.. thanks for the INFO..
    I installed my own Foldacover and didn't have to remove any front portion of Utili-Trac, you do need 2 people to line it up right when you install but other than that it went on very well. you do need to drill a few holes in the bed and have a rivet gun. Who ever told you you needed to remove part of your trac must have had theres installed improperly.
    Better check out the foldacovers there simpe to install and are great...
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    That is the case... there is air in the system. It may or may not cause problems, depending on how much is in there. Sometimes it does work its way out, but it can also cause local "hot spots" that cause uneven heating in the engine and excessive wear on head gaskets, etc.

Try to get rid of the problem by doing this (or similar):

First, make sure that there is sufficient fluid in the overflow tank. Next, drive the truck until it is fully warmed up, then park it on a slope (the steeper the slope -within reason- the better; at least the angle afforded by a set of ramps) and let it run for 30 seconds or so. Shut it off, let it cool, and then open both the bleeder valve on the top of the radiator (if it has one) and the radator cap. Top off the fluid in the radiator. Squeeze the upper radiator hose several times to help force out any pockets that are stubborn until you get no more air bubbling out of the cap opening - but be careful, as you do not want to eject a bunch of coolant by testing your forearm strength! Top it off again and shut it all back up with the radiator completely full. Finally, see how it worked! Alternatively, you could take it to a dealer, but it is not a warranty issue so you'd likely be paying for something that takes 10 minutes to perform.

The trickling noise you hear is the coolant flowing into/through the heating coils, where the air tends to collect due to that typically being the highest point in the system.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • flaman1flaman1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the input!
    Drilling holes in the bed is not something that I'm looking forward to :( (kcover claims that their installation is completely drillless though)...
    As for removal of utily-track, foldacover's web site stated that the cover cannot be installed with the front portion of the system in place...
    Must be an out of date website for Fold-A-Cov-
    er, I think the early version on the Titan had to have part of the Utili-Trac removed.

I just had a Fold-A-Cover top put on my '05 Frontier and the Utili-Trac system is just as
    it came from the factory, no modification necessary.

The only drilling necessary is 3 holes on either side at the back for the rear latches.

I am very satisfied with mine so far and it has
    been about 6 months.

OkieScot
  • satiresatire Member Posts: 71
    www.rollnlock.com Costs a little more but worth every penny. Not weather proof but no holes are drilled in the bed. Very versatile, secure and I love it.
  • nismo4menismo4me Member Posts: 15
    I have 8000 miles on mine...I think the off road performance is decent,but wet weather sux IMO.They become very unpredictable if they start to hydroplane.I have not been impressed,and I thought it was just me!
    I had two sets of BFG A/T Radials ,and will put them on when these wear out(which ,I'll bet, won't be long)
    I got 75,000 miles out of my last A/Ts...If I get 30,000 out of the Rugged Trail,I will be surprised.
    Can't beat BFG A/T for all around performance,but they are kinda expensive,though.I have tied to save $ before and it is not worth it. :sick:
    Jay
  • millarmillar Member Posts: 17
    Satire- I've been in the market for a rollaway hard cover, and I have a few questions for you.

1. Did you consider any of the other brands of rollaway covers out there? If so, why rollnlock?
    2. No cover is waterproof, but is rollnlock reasonably watertight?
    3. Is the cover reasonably secure when locked (e.g., if you had something valuable in there, would you trust the cover at a rest stop?)
    4. You mentioned that no holes were drilled (important to me as I don't want to drill holes that will rust eventually). The instructions indicate that drain hoses are put into the bed of the truck. Are the online instuctions inaccurate, or did you just not take that step?
    5. Are there rollnlock dealers out there that will install it?

Many thanks.
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 39
    My 05' CCLE 4x4 has a funky squeak to it. I have read other posts about an exhaust TSB that has to do with this squeak.
    Can any one point me to the TSB number or something that I can take to the dealer with me?
    I know you want a hard rolling cover, but you should take a look at extang. I just installed a trifecta cover. It folds in three pieces, and uses only four clamps. No drilling at all. It can be removed completely by one person. I think its great, you can't get into the cover unless you first unlock the tailgate, or if you cut into the cover. I had a pace edwards "jack rabbit" (similar to the rollnlock) on my other truck, good cover, only thing you lose about 9" in front of bed, because cover rolls into a canister at the front. Also, in the winter, if water or snow freezes on the top it can be hard to open.. :)

Good luck.
  • rogerfrogerf Member Posts: 8
    Hello All,

Just went to the dealer to get the voluntary recall about electrical harness when towing a load and also mention about that "THUNK NOISE" when you drive off around 15 to 20 mph.I explain that it only happens as you speed off and would never hear it untill you turn the engine off. They have replace the faulty wiring harness and no remedial action taken on my THUNK noise.I was told that it was the transmission fluid actuator sensor that causes this THUNK noise as you drive off 15/20 mph. Huuuum is it really or they just dont know the fix, but anyway it smeels fishy to me. Let me know of anyone have a fix for this ugly THUNK.

fogerf :confuse:
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    They said transmission fluid actuator? The most common explanation for this is the ABS doing a "self-check." That's not abnormal but whether or not you hear it seems to vary. I'm guessing that, after initial start up, if you slow down below that speed level and then accelerate again, you do not hear it. Sorry, but I can't tell you if the noise can be moderated.