Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Which ones the BEST

ramkingramking Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Dodge
In your opinion which pickup truck is the best?
My opinion its the Dodge Ram

Whats your favorite?

Comments

• bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    Here we go again. More flame wars. Why must these useless topics be started? There is enough brand bashing around here as it is.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    note that it's a dodge owner that has started this topic. I think the Silverado vs. Ram topic died since none of the Silverado owners recognize the Dodge as a verfied truck and therefore stopped posting. However, the Viper does kick butt...then again it's not a truck.
  • reddogsreddogs Member Posts: 353
    or the Shelby, can't make up my mind.............
    I have plenty of respect for the Dodge trucks. i think what fizzled that topic was another one of those brand bashers agains GM. He did it ever so cleverly. Made out to be an innocent one that everyone should respect, all the while bashing GM trucks and GM corporation.

It ended with regulation by the Board Admin.

Why can't people just talk trucks without criticism and disrespect? I prefer GM, but that doesn't mean that I think all others are junk and a waste of money. GM is my "preference".
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I think part of the problem is that some of the posters confuse citing problems with a vehicle or posting a bad experience with a vehicle as "brand bashing". What do you think?
    May be. Depends on how the experience is presented and the attitude taken. Calling all GM transmissions junk based on a single experience is bashing. Calling GM Corps non-customer focused because they didn't help you with a problem outside of warranty isn't justified either.

I am not wanting another heated debate over this. I just think you should realize that any truck you had at that time could have had the same problem and your experience with the manufacturer would probably been the same with any of them also. I have had very good service on things outside of warranty. I have even bought used trucks with no warranty at all that GM took care of for me. One in particular developed rear main leak soon after I bought it. I took it in and GM went 50/50 with me on the repair. Not because I demanded it. What could I demand? It was outside of warranty. They did it because I approached them logically, had been a loyal customer and they wanted to earn my continued business. That is not the attitude a company of poor customer focus would take.

Your dealer is the one that hosed you, not GM.

Just my say.
    RamKing doesnt say why he thinks his truck is the best one. Hello, RamKing, are you there, how bout telling us the story on your Dodge, we promise we wont bash it.............too much....
    RamKing is busy at the dealer paying like a "King" to get his truck out of service and get back to his keyboard.....
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I challenge you to find any post of mine in any topic that has ever said that all GM transmissions are junk. I agree with you that that would be bashing if I had said that. As far as GM customer service is concerned, some people may have had negative experiences and relating those experiences should not be considered bashing.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Dodge is who makes junk trannys.

The facts

- Tim
    I'll let you how the transmission holds out...I better hurry before they go under.... :o)
    I better hurry before they go under.... :o)

That is not likely to happen. Although GM's truck line is not the #1 seller overall, GM still sells more vehicles in total than Ford, Dodge, or Toyota. GM also has markets in many other areas besides auto's. EDS is a major partner in Data Systems Developement/Management to name just one area.

GM is almost as big as the gov't. They may even secretly control some of the gov't (just kidding).
    a FORD/GM agreement to work together (against global competitors) instead of fighting it out at every level against each other, would create a balance synergy in design and models. I'll break it down in the "nippon style" of management:

Ford would be assigned- Light and medium TRUCKS
    GM would be assigned- Vans and heavy TRUCKS

Ford would be assigned- Compact and sports CARS
    GM would be assigned- MidSize CARS

Ford would be assigned- Mini-Vans
    GM would be assigned- Station wagons

Ford & GM both would stay in the "hot" vehicles- The hot selling SUV's, Crew Cab pickups, etc...
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    don't you think the competition between the two is driving the quality up faster??
    ...are the ones taking market share from GM, Ford is just holding its own. GM and Ford are knocking each other out while the Toyo/Honda percentages keep inching up.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    What the hell are you talking about? Ford sold more F series trucks last year than Toyota probably sold with all the vehicles.Ford #1 selling fullsize, probably #1 selling compact Ranger I'm not sure I'd have to check.The ford focus #1 in the world this year.The new lincoln LS,The 4 door crewcab later this year.I could go on and on,the only reason I'm listing Ford is because I don't know much about GM but you don't become #1 in the world for nothing.You should change your screenname to RedSun. I am thinking you have a love affair with Toyota.
    the piece of the pie, the percentage, "to divide or parcel out", a cut or slice of the whole, yes that market share. The one that GM and Ford has been loosing steadily since Toyota came in strong in the 70's, if you look in the USA TODAY they have an excellent article on GM's slippage, that means "to decline in strength, ability, or performance". GM did some rearranging in their power structure but they have to do some real changes before they get a handle on it. Here's what the experts were saying:

"GM has been unwilling to slice any of its seven brands. Jacobs says it should have four or five. ''They sure do have a lot of midsize sedans scrapping for 50,000 to 100,000 (sales each) a year, while (Honda) Accord and (Toyota) Camry sell 400,000 a year each,'' notes Brad Fox, analyst at AutoPacific. That means Accord and Camry development, production and marketing costs are spread over more units.

* Faster moves. Despite improvements, GM still launches key products after rivals, and spends months, instead of days or weeks, ramping up production of those models. ''I see market-share changes as indication that a manufacturer is moving faster than competitors or falling behind. GM has an inability to keep up,'' Jacobs says."
    I don't have any facts or figures to invalidate your statements, but I find it hard to believe that the largest automaker (by volume and marketshare) is losing any real numbers to Toyota.
    I don't buy it no matter what this Analyst said.
    had the graph from the early 80's ( not the 70's) with GM's share dropping down (with a big drop in 86 when the 86-89 Accord started to bite into their share) from above 41% to todays 29%...I dont make it up, I just call 'em as I see them...
  • eagleeye1eagleeye1 Member Posts: 36
    I read a press release last week that indicated GM's market share is now at 29%. This is the lowest level in any year (any year without a strike) since the 1920's. GM is now scrambling to bring out more high profit SUV and trucks to compete. I also read that the truck vs. car product sales for Ford is 53/47. GM is exactly the opposite. GM has puts most of its' effort into cars where the profit margin is much lower. In fact, on small cars, the Big 3 often subsidize the price by up to $3,000 to compete in a very tight market. Conversely, Ford is awash in cash because the profit margin on SUV and trucks is between $8,000 and $15,000. That is how Ford was able to buy Volvo for cash. As recently as last spring, Ford had $7 Billion in cash available for takeovers alone. Ford is doing it right and GM, well, you draw your own conclusions.

By the way all you buy American boys, you really aren't very sure of the facts when you make buy American statements. For example, Ford owns 30% of Mazda. GM owns a big chunk of Isuzu and lots of shares in Toyota. Toyota owns lots of shares in GM. Get the picture? Remember, it is companies like Honda and Toyota that are investing their profits in the USA, not the Big 3. They are concentrating their investments on Mexico and Canada.
    I admit that GM's focus is primarily the midsize and luxury cars, not trucks and suv's. I also read the article you speak of. That article only refers to "this years" sales and has nothing to do with GM's status in the auto industry long term. Everyone knows that the strike and other factors had a big impact on sales for GM. That is just a fact of life. Yeah, GM knows where they need to apply more market strategies to stay competitive. That is all that article states. Just because sales dropped this year for varying reasons, don't think for a second that GM is hurting at all. They STILL ARE the highest volume selling manufacturer of the vehicles of interest here in this topic and just because market share is down right now, does not mean that market share is not going to go back up.

Look at the Telecommunications industry, one of the most profitable market shares around in this day and age. The largest and most profitable company in the business has a variance in their stock of as much as 40-50 dollars per share on a daily basis at times. I have seen stock go from over 125 dollars per share down to 50 dollars per share overnight, then go right back up again. That is how the stock market is. It is VERY reactive to environmental factors.

Don't look for GM to lose any sleep over your article or your false assumptions that they are losing market share. The imports have a LONG WAY to go to even catch up to GM's standing in not only the auto industry, but many other diverse areas of industry as well.

As far as your comments about...... "By the way all you buy American boys, you really aren't very sure of the facts when you make buy American statements. ".

I have never stated an anti import or pro American stance on any of the topics here. I buy the best and the most for my American dollar...period. I don't care where it is made. I have to buy the most value for my money. I plan to retire at age 45 or thereabouts. I am not going to do that by overspending based on presumptions of superior quality, etc. Bottom dollar for what I get in both quality and quantity is all I am concerned with.
    retire at 45....man those EBAY and YAHOO stocks must be doing well.......I need to get me some...
    I have been very aggressive toward my goal and it is very realistic for me. I work many hours and do a lot of extra consulting on the side to sock away cash into investments, 401k, and stock, etc.

I am very fortunate to work in one of the fastest growing, very profitable areas. I am taking advantage of that while it is still good by saving more and spending less.

I live on the philosophy that one should work extremely hard while young so life will be much easier when old.

I still do my bass tournament fishing and such to "enjoy life" now too. It's not all work and no play.
    at 5:00 am in the morning, I decided to semi-retire and only work on programming during daylight hours......she seems much happier now....
    Good choice. Family and friends are way more important than early retirement. I just happen to be able to do all my extra work on "my time", which never interferes with my family life.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Man....I'm in the wrong buisness.......
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    Anyone else glad to see that bud_light_dude, a.k.a. ZBad71, a.k.a. ZBrent, has started to be a little more even keel with his posts. I always thought he had some valid points, if you could stand to wade through the bashing, name-calling, and BS.

Bud_light_dude:
    I, for one, am actually glad your back......again.
    Bud is ZBAD?? No....Really? Usually I could pick out ZBADs new names but Bud? Unix is Bud?

Man....I'm confused......I can't keep track of anyone anymore.....I for one DO appreciate Bud Dude. Whether he is Zbad or not--it's immaterial. I like having regulars instead of the "Hit and Run" visitors. --like that clown who was looking for a 88 3.9L F-150. 3.9? LOL!!!
    Yeah, it is the same dude. Hard to believe with his mild mannered posts. Pay close attention and you can tell. I'd tell you how I know for sure it's him, but I can't let everyone know my secrets, can I?
    probably the same on all of them....
    Actually, their profile is quite different, but you are on the right track.
    Sorry to disappoint your theory, but I am not any of the profiles you mention. Bud_light_Dude is my single and only login at Edmunds.

I have read some of the posts of the person of the profiles you mention and I really don't think I am as big of an [non-permissible content removed] as this guy was.

What makes you so capable of "judging" me and why do you "think" you know me? Also, I am really curious as to why you care one way or the other?
    ...too much trouble and work, I'm jumping between the 'stang boys and the pickup kids and thats enough work right there as it is. If bud_light_dude,a.k.a. ZBad71, a.k.a. ZBrent wants to try it, it wouldn't make any difference because you get to know their "handle" after a while. You get a feel for the persons style and idiosyncrasies and the way they respond to issues and argue the same points, so it would be self-defeating and unwieldy...
    Does it seem so unplausable that a person with a given identity, e.g. ZBAD, would start over, take a less radical stance on issues, and attempt to partake in a reasonable conversation. ZBAD was getting so far out there, maybe he decided to start over from scratch. Turn over a new leaf. Try to gain some respect, rather than continuing to be the joke he was. BUD, you are NOT in any way, even close to the [non-permissible content removed] that Z was. In fact, I don't think your an [non-permissible content removed] at all. I like your comments. But, IMO (with some legitimate evidence) I think you are, in fact, the artist formerly known as ZBAD.
    I am glad you don't find me to be an [non-permissible content removed], but I can't account that to anything associated to or not associated to ZBAD.

Maybe you should disclose this legitimate evidence you speak of. At least let me defend myself. I have read ZBADs posts and really do not like being considered one in the same with whoever this person is.

What is this evidence?
    You have been conversing with Bud light dude and noone else.

Makes no difference if anyone believes or not other than I am basically being called an [non-permissible content removed] by being referred to as this other guy.
    I didn't mean to offend. And perhaps I could be wrong. But I don't think so. Either way, if your new, welcome to the site, if your the all-new improved ZBad, you're welcome here, too.
    a "new one" around "these parts" we all are new (and hopefully improved) in "that area".........
  • al2al2 Member Posts: 73
    Whoever you are, you're not Rubluetoo. Now there's a good ol' boy (probably a college prof putting us on) who has never posted anything worthwhile. Good luck on this one now!
    It's all a conspiracy!!! LOL!!

I'm going to pitch this to Ollie Stone.....
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I have to agree with Reddogs where he states the reasons for the decline and loss of market share for GM. It's all true.

Where I don't agree, is the notion that GM working closer with Ford would necessarily make them stronger to fight Japanese might. This because GM and Ford are already bigger than Toyota and Honda, without merging two product lines into one. And it carries twice the risk, if a product with a merged focus proves to be a flop in the marketplace.

But I do see his point that if you didn't have to enter into partnerships with the Japanese to share technologies or knowhow, and instead entered into some agreements with Ford, you could have more jobs at home, and fight globalization.

Who do we benefit, the stockholders, or the employees?
    Well, GM isn't waiting around, take a look at their deal with Honda to supply their engines and transmissions:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?c=News_and_Views&f=0&t=734

..then take a look at this site with the heading "America has never been able to make a truly great small engine"....

http://cars.about.com/autos/cars/library/weekly/aa120999.htm?rnk=r&terms=honda

......very interesting....
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Yes, I already knew about the deal to buy up to 100,000 engines and transmissions at 20K a piece, Wall St. Journal had the article. Honda needs that deal pretty bad too. They buy suvs from Izuzu which is partly (mostly) owned by GM.

I think it's good for both parties, and your point would be why not make this deal with Ford instead? I think they may be putting a competitive product ahead of nationalism. But whatever the reason, GM has no problem selling all the suvs and trucks they can make, and this is how they have maintained 29% (soon to be 30%) market share by curtailing production of the new Cavalier, admitting it wasn't up to the competition, admitting they took too long, and still came up inferior, or that no one wants it, and instead converting for more production of trucks and suvs, where they have a great lineup.
    Anybody else see that article in Truck Trend that pitted the new 3/4 tons against each other? I know several people were really high on the 6.0L Chevy. I'm sure it is a good engine, BUT, it got smoked by the Ford V-10. Keep in mind that this test was about as even as it can get. This was even the 275 hp Ford, not the new 325 horse version. They were both regular cab, 2WD, auto's with 3.73's. The Chevy even had shorter tires (effectively giving it an advantage, gear-wise). The Ford won ALL acceleration tests. Not that acceleration is all there is to a truck, but I've had too many Chevy guys talk my ear off about those bad-[non-permissible content removed] 6.0 and those doggy V-10's. Wonder what they'll say now?
    If the test proves true....what can they say???

The 6.0l GM is still a very good engine, especially for a small block v8 and still does very close to the same work with much greater fuel efficiency. I would never buy one to replace the "need" of a heavier and more torquey V10 or diesel truck though. Buy what you need and want is all it comes down to.
    Fuel efficiency is another story. I know V-10's can literally guzzle gas. I think the 6.0 has been doing a little better but still nothing great. You don't buy a 3/4 with 4.10 gears and big motor for the gas mileage, do you? The diesels are great but too dag-gone expensive unless you have to have one, IMO.
  • leathal02leathal02 Member Posts: 114
    might be alittle closer when the 6.0 L in 2001 when they bump it up to 325HP and 370 ft/lbs huh????????

im sure the V-10 is a great engine, but damn it has 2 more cylinders givin it a ton more of torque...I for one never praised the 6.0 for that one test i think it was with motor trend, because it reality..torque does get the job done..but the 6.0 is a great engine for smaller heavy duty applications...i guess i will be sayin different things when the 8.1L is here....bye bye V-10!!!!!
    I partly agree with you. All except the 6.0l's fuel economy. On a truck with as impressive of torque and hp figures it has, is still getting 14-15 mpg, some reported 16 combined driving. With a full load, it still is getting 11-13 mpg.

I would like to see a either V10 get better than 8-10 mpg with a full load. Over a haul, 2 mpg can make a big difference.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    up for my 6.0 here....but it's already been said that it takes a Ford V-10 to beat a Chevy V-8...

Thanks Ford guys...
    Appreciate you comments.
    - Tim
  • f220swiftf220swift Member Posts: 103
    Laugh is the advertising that chevy has the most powerful v-8 in a 3/4 ton truck. Yes they do. But they forget to mention that Ford and Dodge offer V-10s that would kick their <@#$%. Stirrrrr the pot.
    Thanks Chevy Guys ....
This discussion has been closed.