Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• got1bgot1b Member Posts: 48
    I understand I can't get one from Nissan. Has anyone had one put in after market?
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    Yes, I put a power rear slider in from AZ trucks (the actual window is from CR Laurence). I think there is another manufacturer on the market now. I love it. Open the sunroof and and the rear window and you get good airmovement (and is very quiet). I will drive on the freeways at over 75 mph like this. It is a little pricey, but worth the cost IMHO.
  • midnightsunmidnightsun Member Posts: 92
    Don't know if rare is the word; less common, definitely.

The first Frontier I test-drove was an SE CC 4x4 6-spd, so obviously the dealer had one on the lot. But I think it was the ONLY 6-spd on the lot then. The sales rep apologized for not having a KC available but as they have the same wheelbase it was no big deal to me, for testing purposes. After driving it, I was floored by the truck enough to decide to myself (not out loud to the sales rep) that I would probably buy one. Went back for a second test drive because I wanted to check out a NISMO. They only had that one with an automatic transmission, but between the two test drives, plus another test drive of a Tacoma, I had enough info to decide.

I had to special-order mine. It arrived 2 months later, just as Nissan had estimated.

I love the 6-spd because it allows a lot of control in mountain driving both up and down, gives me a good low 1st gear AND an overdrive gear for interstate cruising, and...it's just a lot more fun than driving an automatic!

The gas mileage is good, too.
  • smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    My wife is thinking about trading in her Honda CR-V for a truck that can pull a one-horse trailer. I am thinking about a kingcab SE, automatic transmission. Anyone with experience?

Thanks for any comments.
  • thegirlfriendthegirlfriend Member Posts: 1
    I am attempting to buy my boyfriend a tow hitch for his 05 Frontier. It is a 4X2 and the towing capacity is 6,500 lb, but I can only find the Class IV receiver for it. I cannot find a ball/mount for Class IV...is this a dead end search?? Any suggestions? Thanks!! :confuse:
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    Any 2" Class 3 or 4 receiver and ball will do the trick. This is not an F350 pulling 7 tons here, so you do not need anything specialty.

For example, go to www.hiddenhitch.com.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • midnightsunmidnightsun Member Posts: 92
    Hey, that's a nice gift!

Anyway, as someone else noted, this is not a specialty item. Besides Hidden Hitch, look up Reese and Drawtite (not sure of this one's spelling). Nissan also sells Class III and IV hitches.

Look up "Trailers" in your Yellow Pages for local vendors. You also need to figure in installation and wiring costs, if you or your boyfriend aren't going to DIY.

For comparison, Nissan's price is $380 for the tow hitch, wiring, 7-wire plug package, etc. installed AT THE FACTORY.
  • 06nismo06nismo Member Posts: 3
    Just saying hello. I bought a 2006 Storm Gray Nismo this afternoon. I get to pick it up on Monday. I went to the dealership just to test drive it and my plan was to then go over and test drive a Tacoma. But I loved the way the truck handled and the power of the 4.0L was excelent. I told the sales rep. the only thing I did not like was the small bed (it's the double cab). He said what if I throw in the bed extender :blush: How could I say no. It already had the bed liner which I did not know it was going to have. Then you add the $1500 cash back...for the value..no brainer. This is a great forum. Are there any other Frontier forums anyone can recommend?

Thanks,

06NISMO
  • hustoncshustoncs Member Posts: 21
    Congrats on the truck! Have fun and since it's the Nismo it needs to go off road every now and again!

Cheers

:shades:
  • jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    06 - congrats! I have a KC 05 Nismo and LOVE IT.

This truck is the sports car of the truck world, and everything about the Frontier is NICE. Just a little thirsty for gas though - so be prepared to spend money on gas.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    < Are there any other Frontier forums anyone can recommend? >

You might try http://www.clubfrontier.org . It's active and there seems to be some nice users on there.
    I've put a few thousand slow-paced break-in miles on my '06 SE CC 6-Speed and decided to finally wind it up for the first time the other week. Holy cow -- it was incredible! It'll definitely push ya back in the seat. The 6-Speed and the 4.0L are well matched and the sound is great too, even with my factory exhaust. The magazine writers and TV's MotorWeek have all given Frontier top marks in the fun-to-drive category and I can see why. :D
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    I test drove an 06 Nissan Xterra S 6 speed just last weekend and was very impressed with the power (more than enough) but the handling (body roll) was quite pronounced.
    The 05 Frontier 4x4 King 4LT. was a different story. Still the best handling 4x4 I've ever driven, and what performance. And what fun to drive. You'll almost forget you're in a truck.
    Enjoy your new ride!
  • nfmh05nfmh05 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, just wanted to offer any advice for help to anyone about the new Frontiers. I bought it mid January '05, and I have the 6speed manual V6 4x4. I have taken it to Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Washington and all over California. Its been through some good testing grounds in the dirt but mostly in some good snow conditions. I can say nothing but positive things about the 265hp motor and 4 wheel drive system. Anyway, enjoy using your trucks for what they were made to do!
  • jackiejokemanjackiejokeman Member Posts: 3
    Folks:

I recently purchased an '06, SE, 4.0, 6-Speed, 4X4. I am not the tallest guy in the room so I have the seat sort of close to the steering wheel. This makes the center console too far back to function as a good armrest. Is anyone aware of an aftermarket armrest? Maybe something that snaps into the cupholder? Also- Does anyone know of a good vendor to get aftermarket accessories (rubber floor mats/body side moldings) for less than my dealership would charge?

If anyone is interested; I am getting 20 MPG taking it easy with the 6-speed. I would really like to open it up and let those 265 horses run but I am too cheap to pay for it.

Thank You,

Jackie
  • rocketman67rocketman67 Member Posts: 82
    I just got my '06 Frontier NISMO 4x4 6speed. The puter say 17-18 with a mix of city and highway.
    Jackie, I bought my Frontier accessories from Nissan of Turnersville, NJ at www.yournissanparts.com. The fellow there is named Brian and he is extremely helpful and their prices are excellent, despite that I bought Nissan brand parts. They also sell other brands as well.
    Mine's an '06 SE 4x2 6-Speed CC with only 1400 Miles on it, but my mileage has steadily risen. My current tank will be north of 21.5 MPG Highway I'm pretty sure. Us poor SE owners don't get the nifty in-dash computer. :(

It's nice to have a truck that will yield decent fuel economy with conservative driving (my style) and yet be able to romp on it and have some exhilarating fun when I want.
    Yep just icing on the cake!
    Thanks Asa. What accessories did you purchase? Have you been able to find an aftermarket bed mat or liner of some sort?
    I bought all Nissan accesories -- step rails, hood protector, front and rear splash guards and the soft tonneau. I decided that I'd go with the Nissan stuff so that I knew it'd all fit without hassle. My SE CC came with the factory sprayed liner, so I didn't need to look into bed liners. Some guy at work used one of those do-it-yourself brush-on liner kits with is new Frontier and it looks horrible. Be careful if you go that route.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    06 NISMO CC 4WD 5sd auto
    507 miles
    21.1 mpg overall average
    244 miles were with a 500 lb lawn tractor in the bed!
    Trip computer indicated 21.2 mpg. 21.1 mpg is calculated using miles traveled and gallons pumped.
    Majority of trip was 60 mph w/ cruise control, some 75 mph driving and a bit of stop and go.
  • leob1leob1 Member Posts: 153
    An acquaintance of mine is probably going to purchase a 2006 Frontier x-cab SE 4.0 auto very soon. He wants to put on upgrades such as exhaust, intake and things to improve handling and mpg. Where are some good sites/places for that type of stuff?
  • swensenswensen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 Frontier with 2,200 miles on it. Since day one, when the engine is started cold, there is a tapping sound that lasts for a couple of seconds then goes away, not sure but sounds like lifters are tapping. I assume the oil circulation reaches the lifters in a second or two and silences them. On Warm starts there is no tapping. If it sits for approximately five hours you can hear the tapping again when engine is started. The engine has an initial high rev. on start up. It was suggested that I change oil and use higher quality oil filter to address the tapping problem. Changed oil at 1,800 miles with Mobile 1, 5W-30W, and used Purolator Pure One filter. No change in problem, still hear tapping on start up. Dealer says is "normal for Nissan". I find that hard to believe. Service rep at dealership started four Frontiers on lot, could hear same noise in two of them. Any suggestions?
  • jhrainjhrain Member Posts: 2
    jackiejokeman,

Did you find an answer to the question regarding the Arm Rests? Although I'm 5'9", I find the armrest to be too low and too far back. I'd love to purchase a different one.

JIM
    :confuse:
  • jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    I'd be interested too. I'm 5'8 and the arm rest is an irritation. If someone does not make an after market one, I'm going to make one myself...
  • rangermangrangermang Member Posts: 27
    I have an 05 frontier CC SE and was wondering if the extang trifecta is a good tonneau cover. On truckaddons.com it is about 335 with free shipping, which i think is a great deal. Anyone have any problems or know of any problems with this cover? Please let me know, thanks :)Oh and one more thing,will i have to remove the stock bed rails?
    Jim- I have not found a vendor for an armrest. Seems like an obvious design flaw.
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    no,i have it on mine
  • jmsd1jmsd1 Member Posts: 20
    wow that is great gas mileage. I have 15K miles on my 4x4 Nismo KC auto. Life time average of 14 mpg. southern calif driving mainly city speeds. The computer says I average 20 miles per hour. I track both mpg and mph.
  • greywolffgreywolff Member Posts: 1
    I purchased one with my 2006 Frontier. I bought it from the dealer here in So. Cal and I have had nothing but problems with it.
    The latches are very poor design.
    It leaks water, just the dew in the morning will cause it to leak.
    The hinge that holds the top cover on has started to break where the spot welds are and I have had to pop rivet it back together.
    Save your self $500.00 bucks and go buy something else.
    I have been trying to get some satisfaction from the dealer and they are talking to Nissan, but not to me.
  • chillin669chillin669 Member Posts: 9
    I think this is a common occurance on vehicles when they are cold. my 93 ford ranger with 4.0 V6
    used to do the exact same thing when cold(for a while i was worried and then it went away once warm and eventually forgot about it ). I have heard it on other cars too. So, I would not worry.
  • blackngoldblackngold Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone experience this. I've just purchased a new 06 Frontier SE crew cab three days ago. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. However, I noticed something today. I was driving down the road cruising around 45 mph. My fiance sitting in the front and my two boys sitting in the back. They decide to open their window. Once the window's opened, we all heard this loud noise. It was loud to the point that I cannot hear the radio and it actually hurt our ear. It's like someone is blowing a tuba next to us. Has anyone experience similar problem? Should I contact the dealer about this?
    Per the "tuba" rear window noise, my Frontier does the same as does my wife's Subaru. Nothing is wrong with the truck, nor the Subie. What you're hearing is akin to the bass note noise you hear blowing across the top of an empty soda bottle. If you lower the other rear window, the noise will lessen because the interior air pressure is equalized. I'm just guessing that this happens because many modern vehicles have the side window glass very close to the outer body surface (instead of deep within a window frame) to reduce air turbulence and increase fuel economy. Hope this helps.
    I don't get a tapping noise with my '06 SE 4.0L, but I often hear and feel a light bump noise several seconds after startup. It just started doing this at about 1800 Miles and (like yours) does it only when the engine is "cold". As you know, the engine RPMs rocket to what sounds like light speed at start up. I guess we both have to trust that oil is getting topside real quick given the high starting RPMs.
    My 2k6 Frontier does the same thing. Yep this is quite normal.Scarey but the engine is supposed to be bullet proof. Time will tell.
  • richierodrichierod Member Posts: 2
    My Frontier CC SE 4.0 is a whopping 3 days old, and I'm liking it a lot. Only problem I see is there is no way to secure the sliding bed extender. Here in L.A., if it can be stolen, it will be stolen. Anyone have an idea for me? I could always fix the rail stops on either side of the extender brackets, but what a pain when it comes time to move it around... Thanks for any ideas you may have...
    I have noticed this with my '06 Nismo CC LE model. I sometimes open the rear window to allow my dog to stick her head out. The noise with the one window open is loud and I end up shutting it. I suspect the other poster is correct with his assessment.

2006nismo
    You are right that these things can be easily picked off. The only thing I can think of in addition to screwing in the extender stops is to add a hard tonno cover. Then just lock the tailgate and hope they don't have a plazma cutter ;)

2006nismo
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    richierod,

I put a lockable hard bed cover on my truck to keep the bed divider and the utili-track system secure.

Out of sight out of mind and a lock just to be sure.

OkieScot
  • richierodrichierod Member Posts: 2
    Yep-
    I just slid those rail stops in and tightened them down - all four of them! So, at least they'll have to work a little bit at it. You know, Nissan was worried enough about the rails themselves to secure them with star bolts so your average idiot couldn't rip them off. I was thinking that if they were gonna be consistent that they should have put the star bolts on the rail stops to make them hard to steal as well. I might hacksaw the bolts off - you can't just back them out - and substitute the star bolts myself. But what a pain....
    And, yep, the hard cover would work except I haul too much stuff for that... thanks anyway...
    richierod,

I installed the Fold-A-Cover and it folds up to
    about 18" from the back of the cab. It allows you to carry tall stuff without removing the cover unless you are carrying a long tall object.

It works well for most of what I carry and I like the security it provides.

OkieScot
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Long Bed option on 07 Frontier. :)

2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab and Frontier Crew Cab

The 2007 Frontier includes a number of features shared with the Nissan Titan, including its rugged suspension design, innovative factory-applied spray-on bedliner, Utili-track bed channel tie-down system and fully boxed, all-steel frame based on the Titan&#146;s F-Alpha platform.

Highlighting the 2007 Frontier is the availability of the Long Bed Crew Cab SE and LE models, with a bed measuring more than 13 inches longer than the standard Frontier Crew Cab.

The SE, LE, and NISMO models are powered by a 4.0-liter V6, producing 261 horsepower and 281 lb-ft torque. The advanced powerplant includes a Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS), Nissan variable Induction Control System (NICS), silent timing chain, microfinished camshaft and crankshaft surfaces, Teflon®-coated pistons, resin intake manifold, forged crankshaft, digital knock control system, high capacity muffler, lightweight aluminum block and cylinder heads and 105,000-mile spark plugs.
    The Frontier King Cab XE base model comes standard with a 2.5-liter DOHC inline 4-cylinder engine with 152 horsepower and 171 lb-ft torque.

Features of the 2007 Frontier include:
    · Addition of Crew Cab SE and LE Long Bed models, featuring a bed more than 13 inches longer than Frontier Crew Cab&#146;s traditional bed
    · King Cab XE Appearance Package, which includes a chrome front bumper and 16-inch steel wheel and tires
    · Value Truck Package, available for SE models, includes Active Brake Limited Slip, floor mats, Power Package and more (Crew Cab VTP includes bed extender, King Cab VTP) includes bedliner)
    · MP3 capable audio input jack
    · Front passenger seatbelt warning/reminder light
    · SE, LE, and NISMO models improve California Emissions Certificate to LEV2 ULEV
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    Wohoo! About time. I will put the '07 back on my "possibles" list. Thanks for the FYI.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The 2007 is showing 4 less hp, what is that about?

OkieScot
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    It is probably the new rating system. If that is the case, losing 4hp is not bad, as some of the toyotas lost a whole lot more.

On another and more irritating note, am I to assume that the NISMO will not come with a long bed?

I also did not see any information that you can get an SE with stability control. If that is true, I would be forced to buy an LE to get a Long Bed with stability control.

Of course, then if I wanted side airbags on the LE, I cannot get stability control.

So if I want stability control, a sunroof and side airbags, I have to get a NISMO. In which case I will not be able to get a long bed, I will have a stupid subwoofer in the floor screwing up the interior loading floor, and I will have to get a depressing dark grey or blue interior.

GRRRRRRR!!!!!!

I really want a Frontier, but Nissan apparently does not want to sell me one!!!
    Did you find this info on the net or is this inside info?
  • syncteksynctek Member Posts: 1
    Just out of curiosity, have you (or anyone else) tracked the miles you get per tank? I was able to go 405 miles on 1 tank -o- gas which is just about 19 gallons, so 21 for me as well.
    It seems that all manufactuers have strange limits and exceptions on options. I wanted side airbags on my SE CC, but had to get the sunroof to get the side airbags! The sunroof takes up too much ceiling pace for my height, so I had to omit the side airbags. Sheeesh.

I bless Nissan tho for making a mid-size 4x2 CC truck with a 6-Speed stick -- no other manufacturer offers that. (With Toyota, ya have to get the 4x4.) Any option tradeoffs were worth it to me to get that combination.
    The best I've gotton yet is 22.7 MPG Hwy. with my '06 SE CC 4x2 6-Speed. Most of my tanks average 21-1/2 to 22 MPG. Getting anything over EPA estimates (21 MPG in our case) is pretty impressive in my book.