Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• rangermangrangermang Member Posts: 27
    Asa: I have the same truck as you, except its an 05, and I reported on one road trip from Central CA to the Bay Area 25/26 mpg, my advice is leave it in cruise control at about 70-75, because strangley I found that driving closer to 65 and slower gets me LESS mileage, maybe because of low manifold pressure?
  • allnissansallnissans Member Posts: 1
    Just dropped my 2005 LE 4x4 off at the dealer to stay a while.Had it serviced a week ago and three days ago the oil pressure gauge started to peg when revving the engine starting off. I took it in today and they changed oil and filter again, but it didn't help. The service mgr said they were going to call Nissan Monday to see if is an oil pump problem. Not sure if I have a lot of faith in these guys if they can't figure that out on their own. Is there a known issue? Thought this engine was bulletproof. Watched the service writer and the mechanic stand under the truck scratching their heads, not a good sign. It's a V6 with 6350 miles on it. Let me know any info you have. I'll keep posted. OBTW, love my truck, we also have a 2005 X with same engine and my wife loves it! My son has a 2005 X off road and that's right, he loves it!!
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Sounds like a dopey dealer, as they can hook a manual oil pressure gauge to the engine and see if it's within specifications and check the electronic gauge and sending unit at the same time. By the way, in the '06s, the oil pressure gauge is essentially an idiot gauge -- it doesn't move. It seems that too many '05 owners freaked when they saw oil pressure drop at idle and rise at speed (all normal) that Nissan grew tired of the situation and revised the '06 functionality. The 4.0L engine roars to life with high RPMs at cold start, so perhaps you don't have a problem. Does the dealer have any '05s he can fire up to test?
  • bownheadbownhead Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a "new" used 4X4 2005 LE CC, and it has the "tow package". Question i have is exactly what does the factory tow package consist of? I assume its a better braking system, possibly better cooling? Not sure. Also does anyone know if i can purchase just the sliding bed extender brackets without having to buy the entire bed extender? I have a bed extender which fits, just ned the brackets. Thanks.
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    My '05 selection guide does not list a tow package. They show a tow receiver hitch rated for up to 6500 lbs with a 7 pin harness,a hitch cap, class III hitch ball mount rated for up to 5000 lbs, and a class IV hitch ball mount rated for up to 5000 lbs.

They do not show anything else with them so I guess there is no heavy duty radiator, heavy duty transmission, nor heavy duty radiator.

I think we all get a transmission cooler so maybe they beefed up all of the trucks so that those who wanted to go aftermarket would be good to go.

OkieScot
    The light bump noise I once heard just after start-up on my '06 4.0L has left as mysteriously as it came -- almost two weeks now and haven't heard it since.
  • jayhawker4jayhawker4 Member Posts: 3
    I had a 1994 nissan hardbody. It made noise every so often like lifters rattling but it has rocker arms. No one could figure out the noise. Nissan said it was the oil filter. That you should you use nissan filter because it has a valve in it. That didnt work, tried different filters. still did not work. Finally, kept oil filled at or above dip stick line, never heard this noise again. Bought 1984 nissan kc4x4 new, 1994 nissan kc 4x4, now i bought a 2005 nissan kc. But im guessing the 2005 nissan frontier noise when you start up is just the design until it gets warm and oil going through it.
  • jayhawker4jayhawker4 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone having a hard time finding a variety of aftermarket wheels that fit the 2005 nissan frontier kc? I am having a very hard time finding nice chrome wheels that fit.
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    I never thought of that one,but I have got 24/25 on long trips doing a hair under 70mpgs,I would put on cruise on,I'm going to try 70mpgs,thanks
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    so what site did you see this at??
  • shufflesshuffles Member Posts: 50
    I got my 4 cyl auto at the end of May. Out the door it was $19,200 including power package, bedliner, bed extender, and %7.5 sales tax. My bed extender has straps that lock it down. I guess anyone who wanted to steal it could cut the straps.

I have almost 3K miles. Around town in mixed driving I get 20 mpg. On a trip from Florida to North Carolina, travelling between 70 and 80, but mostly 80, I got 22 mpg. Not even any little problem so far, and I look foreward to better mileage after a few more thousand miles.

By the by, my brother in law's business in North Carolina has a couple venerable Frontiers with a total of more than 900K miles - mostly trouble free. I hope I can say the same a decade from now. I hated to say goodby to my '91 trouble free Mitzi, but with the miles I have on me, I really appreciate the comfort and creature comforts of my new girlfriend.
    :)
  • pato1pato1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. Bought a '05 Nissan Nismo Crew Cab, in January '06. I really love the truck, however, I'm experiencing a very annoying problem. When driving around town and coming to a complete stop at a stop sign etc, I feel a dull thud coming from the driveline. It soulds/feel as if the entire rear-end is loose. Furthermore, when I pull away from a complete stop, I can hear/feel a definite lag in the driveline. It feel as if the rear-end is worn, hence the lag when pulling away. The problem occurs about 95% of the time when driving around town. I took the truck to the dealer but the service manager couldn't figure out what's causing the problem. They tightened the rear spring carrier but by the time I reached home, I realized that wasn't the problem. They referred me to Nissan of North America. Has anyone experienced this problem with their Nissan? The next time you drive your Nismo, see if you hear/feel a thud coming from the driveline when you come to a complete stop with your foot on the brakes. I'm trying to gather as much information because this could be a design deficiency in the drivetrain of this particular model and any other Nissan truck with the same drivetrain. By the way, the service manager test drove an '06 Nismo with ten miles on the odometer and said he felt the same thud. Doesn't sound encouraging at all. Pato1
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Thud is not present in my 06 NISMO CC 4WD.
  • ryker1234ryker1234 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2006 Frontier XE 4 cly. with 5 speed automatic. The mpg so far is impressive. With only 200 miles on the motor I got 26.11 mpg on a 220 mile trip. I set the cruise control on 60 mph while on the highway. Not bad at all. I expect it to improve after the 5k break in.
  • jacob68jacob68 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    I have a 05 crew cab & I have the same problem. Everytime I come to a complete stop it feels like there is something loose & Slight Bump at stop and start. I took it to the dealership & they said that was normal. Well when I get a chance I am going to another dealership but that should not be happening in my opinion.
    Hello. Don't let them bs you. That's not normal. I took mine to the local Nissan dealer and they contacted their tech support folks. They've asked me to bring the vehicle over so that they can change the drive shaft. If that doesn't fix the the problem, I'm going to take it back until they either fix it or give me another vehicle. A new vehicle should not thump/thud when you come to a stop, like ours do. They should be tight. Let's keep in touch and share our information so we can fight this together. Maybe you and I will be the reason for a major recall of the '05 Nismo CC. By the way, does your symptoms go away momentarily when you pump the brake pedal?? Don't forget to document your interactions with the dealer. Make notes of when you take your truck to the dealer and what they did or tell you. Make them put in writing.

Patrick
    jacob68. Call Nissan North America at: 1-800-647-7261. This is the number for their main customer relations department. Tell them exactly what your truck is doing. They will enter your complaint into a data base. Furthermore, they will also pass along the complaint to their tech support department. This is an excellent start. In the meantime, go back to the original dealer and INSIST the service department supervisor drive the truck with you in it and let him experience the problem firsthand. Let him drive the truck around town however long it takes him to duplicate the problem. TELL him that a new truck should not drive like that. Sometimes you have to be very assertive with these people in order to get results. Keep in touch. By the way, what state do you live in?

Patrick

Patrick
  • joboo1joboo1 Member Posts: 75
    Hi Room

New to the chat scene. I recently had the oil changed on my 05 Frontier. Since your chat, I too have noticed my oil pressure gauge fluctuating from idle to drive. I am not sure if it fluctuated prior to the oil change. I contacted several Nissan dealerships only to be told different stories - this is common or this not common. I even called Nissan Corp. and was advised that there are no technical advisers to comment on the issue and advised me to contact the dealership. I am currently looking for a dealership that has a 05 left over or used to see if the gauge moves from idle to drive. It does make sense that the needle would move from idle to drive, but why can't I get a straight answer from Nissan Corp. or the dealerships.

Thanks

Frank
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    That is normal.
    I heard in 2006 they made the gauge "dumber" so it doesn't go down at idle, and so people stop asking this question (not that it is a bad question). I don't know if that is true, but I heard it somewhere. Mine is an 05.
    Hi woodshop28

Thanks for the info. When your truck is idling, does the oil gauge needle fall towards the lower end of the safe zone or just drops off a little from the normal reading?
  • albivalbiv Member Posts: 35
    I had a 2004 Titan with the same problem. I discovered the solution in another Titan forum. Buy a set of leaf spring helpers (~$20) at an auto parts store and install them. Fixed my problem.
  • drumbobdrumbob Member Posts: 4
    Yep you got the leaf warp. My Nismo does the same thing. Put a set of helper springs in FRONT of the rearend and your problem will go away.
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    It goes to the lower end. From everything I have read, it is normal.
    You could ask a trusted mechanic, if you want an "expert" opinion.
    I don't worry about it at all, honestly.
    Hi

Thanks again for the info.
    Speaking of oil, I am just doing the first oil change on my 4cyl 2006 XE. The Fram filter I bought seems to be about a half inch too long. Since there is a piece of the suspension in the way, I can't center it to screw it on. I guess I will have to hike down to the dealer for a filter.
    Has anyone else encountered this problem. The filter I have is a Fram "Tough Guard" TG7317. Has anyone out there found a filter besides Nissan that fits?
    The fluctuation is normal and it does drop way off at idle. This is the way all cars that had an oil gauge worked way back when. It just went away until recently.

The '05 is actually measuring the oil pressure
    and thus as the engine picks up speed the pump
    goes faster and your oil pressure increases. There were so many complaints about this that I guess Nissan decided to go back to the gauge that only tells you if your system totally fails. By that time you have already toasted your engine.

I for one am glad I have the '05 system that gives me a little warning if the pump is getting bad.

OkieScot
    drumbob. PROBLEM SOLVED. I took my '05 Nismo back to the dealer and they replaced the drive shaft. The driveshaft comes in two pieces, rather than do "trial by error," they took the complete driveshaft out of a '06 and installed it in my truck. I've been driving the truck for two weeks now and no thud, bump...nothing. It goes without saying that they must have gotten a bad batch of driveshaft from their supplier. If I were you, I'd let the dealer investigate the driveshaft on your truck. I've made an official complaint to Nissan of North America, therefore, a record of the symptom and the "fix" is in their data base. Please read my original post and call them at the number I provided in the post. Why spend money out of your own pocket to fix something that the dealer should pay for? Hope this helps anyone with this problem.

Pato1
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,784
    Perhaps way off the mark here, but I have had vehicles with a "thud" issue (typically during heavy acceleration accompanied by a turn) and it turned out to be the rubber bushing that surrounds the main bearing on the driveshaft (the support bearing where the two pieces meet). Not sure why a helper spring would quiet that down though, so maybe two separate issues here manifesting themselves similarly.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx. You're right about two similar problems manifesting themselves. When I took my Nismo to the dealer, the shop supervisor drove the truck and he said that the thud sounds like "Axle wrap-around." It's a technical term they use in the repair business. Nevertheless, it simply means the axle is still turning after the vehicle has come to a stop, hence the term wrap-around. A set of helper springs would solve such a problem. Evidently my problem was a bad rubber bushing.

Pato1
  • larry10larry10 Member Posts: 88
    I just bought a '06 Frontier 4x2 KC XE MSRP on window sticker was $21,075.00 that includes BASE PRICE $16,950.00 $1,500 for XE PREFERRED PACKAGE, $90.00 for FLOOR MATS, $430.00 for BED RAIL CAPS/REMOVABLE BEDLINER, $950.00 for POWER PACKAGE, $550.00 for SIDE & CURTAIN AIRBAG PACKAGE and ofourse $605.00 DESTINATION CHARGE.Using the TMV system it showed others in my area are paying $18,326.00(after $1500.00 rebate) I paid $18,200.00 (my counter to their $18,600.00 offer) don't feel too bad but could I have done much better? Any thoughts? Thanks
    P.S. What does KC refer to?
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Man, am I jealous! I've been looking for over a year here in Orange County, and have yet to see an XE KC (that's the King Cab, Larry) with Side & Curtain Airbag Package. I'm still waiting, because you bought my truck!

Seriously, I think you got a great deal. Mostly, because you got all the goddies, and the safety stuff too.

Can you tell me where they sell these?
  • leeyleey Member Posts: 4
    Try WalMart brand (PT7317). I have no problem with that.
  • leeyleey Member Posts: 4
    I had this wondering before, but do not have to worry about it. Check your Owner's manual on page 2-8. It says "the gauge indicates the engine lubrication system oil pressure while the engine is running. When the engine speed is high, the engine oil pressure is also high. When it is low, the gauge indiates the low oil pressure."
    Dirito Brothers Concord Nissan , I failed to point out in my post it only has the 4 cylinder engine..I am sure you are looking for the V6....I wish you luck finding your truck.
    I'm sorry you guys probably know XE's only come with 4 cylinders.
    Yup, the 4-cyl is what I'm after - it's power is fine for me. I drive a 4-cyl Highlander right now. I can cruise at 80 MPH with no problem, and pass on the freeway up to 90-95. I have to flog it mercilessly to get LESS than 20 MPG combined.

I think there are many people that have no idea how much low-end torque that modern 4-cylider engines produce. Until you drive a newer 4-cylinder Camry or Altima, you'd never believe it. The fuel injection is part of it, but the Variable Valve Timing is really a marvel. They pull hard, right off-idle, and keep pulling to 5500 RPM.

The V-6's of today can make a vehicle do old-style V-8 acceleration times, and the I-4's can make a vehicle do old-style V-6 acceleration times. Modern V-8's, like Chrysler's Hemi, and GM's Corvette motors, pull incredibly strong.

After test-driving the new Tacoma and new Frontier with the latest in 4-cylinder technology, I look at gas priced at $3.25/gal for regular and wonder why I'd need a V-6.

How are you liking your new XE, Larry?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,784
    I agree that if you use the truck for "normal" use, the 4cyl will suit you well and give you good economy. The big difference comes in when you start pushing limits, like on-board cargo or pulling heavy trailers. The 4 cylinder will just not have the torque to accomplish the task.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Yup, absolutely. If I had a pair of jet skis to tow, I'd have to get the V-6.

But I don't own jet skis or anything that I regularly need to haul or tow. Just a couple of bikes. Mostly, I just like having a stick-shift, rear-wheel drive, practical, reliable economical vehicle. They are pretty much gone from the scene, except for "compact" pickups. So, with a truck, I get a bonus of being able to drive local fire roads as well.
    The problem is I am 6'4' if it wasn't for that I'd feel pretty good about the truck...I am feeling a bit of remorse, I only have 130 miles on it so far, perhaps when I see the MPG it gets I will feel shorter!
  • mike_8891mike_8891 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently in the process of getting ready to purchase a new Frontier..the only thing i'm having trouble deciding on is which model to get..I like the Nismo features (tires, chrome accents..) but i really dont do to much off-roading, which is why im going for the 4X2. However the LE is also very nice. So my question is do you think it would be better for me to get the LE instead of the Nismo because I rarely go off-roading and many of the upgrades wont be used and if it's even worth getting the Nismo if it's not 4X4?
    I originally was going to get a Nismo 4X2, but because they could not find the color I wanted I got an LE KC instead. The LE gets better fuel mileage than the Nismo which is a big plus right now with the price of gasoline.

My truck is eqipped with a Flo-Pro true dual exhaust, Volant CAI, and a Fold-A-Cover bed cover. It is an automatic and I drive it like the little old man that I am.

On the current tank I am averaging 18.2 so far and that is all town driving. The add ons that I listed in the above paragraph did not seem to help my fuel mileage at all as I was doing about the same before I added them.

If I was not going to do any off-road driving I would get the LE as it is nicely equipped and it gets better fuel mileage.

It is mostly a matter of personal taste so you should get the truck that you are happy with and not listen to others as it is you that should be happy with your truck.

Good luck,

OkieScot
    Hey Okie,
    I have been looking and looking for a good dual exhaust system for my 05 frontier CC SE, and havent seen much. How is the Flo-Pro dual exhaust, sound wise and performance wise? Where did you purchase it? One more question, is the Volant CAI worth buying? Thanks Much!

rangermang
    leey, when I need another filter I will look at WalMart. I got one at the dealer and decided to buy three.
    I am getting 22+ mpg with my 2006 XE, mixed driving. The mpg keeps getting better and better. I do drive easy, the 4cyl automatic seems to encourage it, and it feels good driving slow. I really love this truck.
    As for side air bags on the XE, when I bought there was one on an XE in the whole state of Florida - and nowhere near.
    :)
    Do ALL 2006 Frontiers come with front and rear ventilated disc brakes ?
    rangermang,

My Flo-Pro has a nice almost V-8 burble at lower rpms. It gets a little loud on anything over 1900/2000 rpm and loses the burble. I am
    not that fond of the sound at WOT, but I don't drive in that range much.

On my LE KC automtic 1900/2000 is 74/75 mph and
    I rarely ever go above that speed so I have a nice burble most of the time and no cabin noise.

I did not notice any increase in power, but I am not very good at telling small improvements.
    I guess my old butt has gone numb over the years.

I purchased the Flo-Pro from Kinney's Muffler Shop in Bedford, TX. If you are anywhere near the Dallas/Ft. Worth area I would highly recommend them.

The Volant is kind of the same story. I cannot feel the difference nor hear the difference. I have a friend who has a Titan and he is thinking about trading it in on a Frontier so I let him drive my truck last week.

He said I must be deaf in that range because he could hear the Volant easily. I guess too
    many police and fire memorials with 21 gun salutes and too many bagpipes.

I had a CAI on my Miata and I could hear it over the exhaust which was louder than my Frontier exhaust. I could also hear the intake sucking air on the Miata.

That has only been a little over a year ago so
    I can't imagine I would have lost that much hearing that quickly.

My friend with the Titan was very impressed with the power of the Frontier and how tight it was after driving on the OKC streets for 18 months.

He has a bunch of motorcycles and hauls 3 quite frequently with the Titan. He said that he felt sure that the Frontier would haul all three as well. His Titan gets 15 mpg at 75 mph with 3 cycles in tow. I am not sure the Frontier would do that good with that much load.

My truck runs very well at WOT as I found out when my friend put it through the paces on his
    test drive. I am sure that I have gained some power from the responses and dyno runs on the forums.

I am not sure if I would buy a CAI again if I had it to do over, but since I have it I will keep it. The only other CAI I would consider would be the Injen and I think I still prefer the Volant.

I am sorry I could not really help you on this,
    but I just can't feel small improvements like most on here do. What the heck both mods look good and the exhaust sounds great to me.

OkieScot
    Hey thanks alot OkieScot, you did help me out quite a bit actually. Now I know that I am not missing much without the exhaust or CAI, so basically, you just saved me some money. I was looking for real, noticeable performance changes, and/or gas mileage changes, so now that you've told me what to expect from these products, I know I won't be getting much of either for my buck. So thanks again!

rangermang
    I like to stick with OEM filters with our vehicles; spending $2 more on a Nissan brand filter protecting a $21K truck seems like money well spent to me. I like seeing the filter shrink wrapped, knowing that the media has been protected against humidity and dust. I'm not knocking Fram however; I think they generally make good quality filters.

As an aside, I often partially pre-fill the new filter with oil before screwing it on. Nissan and Subaru filters absorb a LOT of oil in the media before filling up -- it's pretty amazing what dense media can do. But, on my bazillion-mile Mitsu, I use cheapie Advance Auto filters and they fill with oil in nothing flat because the media is thin and less absorbent.

Did my first oil change in my '06 SE Crew today and it wasn't bad at all. The oil filter access panel is too small and the edges are sharp, but I expected that.
  • differnetdiffernet Member Posts: 4
    does anyone know if the frontier front chrome bumper 05-06 will fit an 05 pathfinder.
    thanks
    I don't know, but you can check with your local parts department and they can check the part numbers for you. They look about the same to me and the parts man can verify that for you.

OkieScot
  • rocketman67rocketman67 Member Posts: 82
    As I was reading about your noise coming from the driveline my suspicion as to what was causing your problem was confirmed by the guy who suggest a leaf spring helper in the front of the leaf spring. Both you and the guys have automatics and what you are feeling is when the vehicle downshifts. My friends GMC Sierra does the same thing. So this sounds like it's a common engineering issue.
    I fail to figure out why the folks at the Nissan dealership could not figure this one out.
    I'm wondering if the guys with the 4 bangers have the same problem? If they are not then I have another theory as to why they are not experiencing this problem.