Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• maxamaxa Member Posts: 4
    Moparbad, thanks for your quick reply. The dealer "Tynan's Nissan" agreed to replace the windshield at their expense. The new windshield was replaced about an hour ago at my home. The installer says that he has seen a lot of new pickup and van windshields crack quickly in the past few years- a problem he had not seen before in his 35 years installing windshields. I am picking up a bug shield today to protect the portion of the hood that is not protected by the clear bra. Does anyone here have a suggestion for the best wax to apply to protect these trucks painted surfaces? Thanks.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    That is great. Good dealer customer service.
  • bummybummy Member Posts: 1
    the thump is rear axle twist mind did it until i put a bed cover on it
  • 05nismo605nismo6 Member Posts: 10
    I wanted to take the time to respond to your post as I am having the same issue. I have almost 65k on my truck and the gas mileage is getting increasingly worse. Now I don't want to scare anyone, but I have had a few issues with my Nissan, however I think I just got a bad one after doing so much research. It seems as though each time I have something fixed the gas mileage jumps for a tank or two and then wham it's back down again. Below is an example of my gas mileage issues. If anyone has any suggestions besides regular maintenance I'd be happy to give it a shot.

After purchase and for first year 18/21 mpg combination
    Shortly after 16/18 mpg
    Check engine light correction 18/20 mpg combination
    Three weeks later 15/17 mpg
    Rear diff sensor replaced 18/21 mpg combination
    Two weeks after 15/17 mpg
    MPG after vent control valve and clutch fan replacement 16/19mpg combination
    2 weeks later 16mpg combination
    Couple months later 14mpg combination
    Last couple weeks 13 mpg combination
  • jdelpretejdelprete Member Posts: 9
    Lately on my 04 frontier I have been getting a squeeking of the frame on the drivers side. I jacked it up several times and though the squeeking was coming from the bolt that holds the bottom of the shock in place. I greased it and it got quiet but now is worse. Not sure that was actually the problem. It is loud enough I can feel the vibration in my feet when driving. Anyone else have this problem?

JIM
  • kamikazejoshuakamikazejoshua Member Posts: 4
    I am not quite sure where to post this, I am currently looking at some new Nissan Frontiers that have the 2.5 4 cylinder engine in them. I am wondering if anyone on here would know about the problems with the nissan altima that has the same engine. Are the problems only with the cars, or have they fixed the problem by now? I also posted this in the altima forum. Thanks
  • sorentocrazy22sorentocrazy22 Member Posts: 6
    Two days ago my tailgate fell off, when I opened it. A few days before it fell off, it showed signs of trouble because it began to scrape on the bumper cover and I could understand why. Obviously the pivot hinges were wearing out because the left one let go when the tailgate fell into my hands!!! When I took it to the dealer they were helpful processing , but they would not fix it and sent pictures to Nissan for a decision. I feel this was a bad decision because its very obvious to me that this is a design flaw. Their more than likely going to blame because I use this truck for work as a carpenter. In the interim,I can not use the tailgate very effectively so I`ll end up having it done myself......
  • joboo1joboo1 Member Posts: 75
    please tell me what model and year frontier.

Thanks
  • truenorthtruenorth Member Posts: 3
    ('07 CC SE Long-bed)
    Yeah, mine came loose yesterday (4/12) while I was going down the road. Mine was the right side, and the cup that carries the tailgate broke off at the base. The tail gate landed on it and dropped open, dog-earring the lower right corner of the gate.
    I agree-it's a design flaw. Looks like the measley weld gave way.
    Will be headed to the dealer tomorrow to get a fix scheduled. They may try to blame you and me for the breakage, but I say they need a tougher design. They need to make it right and do the body work.
    Will keep you posted.
  • resmereldaresmerelda Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2005 Frontier with 40,000 miles on it - the tailgate hinges broke off. They quoted a price of $200 to repair. I think they should fix it for free - we are just out of warranty and it's a leased vehicle. My husband takes very good care of our vehicles, so it wasn't due to abuse.
    It is a known issue, I would contact dealer first and Nissan Corporate second and ask to have the repair made as a "goodwill" repair and for the reason that it is a known problem to occur.
    Is it leased from Nissan?
    NHTSA Also file a complaint with NHTSA as the tailgate could fall off into traffic and cause accident with injury or death to other motorists.
    The dealer quoted $200 to fix it. I contacted Nissan April 17th and they just got back to me today - they contacted the dealer (Kenny Ross Nissan) and their service manager told them that we overloaded the truck with lumber, which is a lie. My husband works for a hospital and is not in the construction business.We have not hauled anything but a push lawn mower or bicycles. I am furious.

Yes it is leased thru Nissan.

I filed a complaint with NHTSA. Thanks so much for the info!
  • truenorthtruenorth Member Posts: 3
    Well, I think Nissan recognizes they've got a problem, and I'd encourage you to press them to fix it for free, or at least at a discount.
    My dealer (Hudiburg Nissan, OKC) sent photos in to Nissan, and got authorization to replace both sides under warranty, though only the right one failed. And the new units seem to be upgraded with a rubber grommet in the cups.
    'Would have cost me $477.00 for the two hinges, "Frontier" lettering, body work, and paint. They handled it quickly and without any hassles.
    Good luck.
    Problem is the truck was just out of warranty - it didn't happen all of a sudden, the hinges were failing during the warranty and we didn't notice until the gate completely fell off. They (Kenny Ross Nissan) refuse to repair it for free or even at a discounted price. Nissan didn't acknowledge that there is a problem and didn't seem to care that I will be taking my business elsewhere. I am not impressed with their "customer service". I have a real problem with the fact that the service manager lied to Nissan and told them we overloaded the truck (we never hauled anything heavy) and caused the hinges to fail. Nissan said the decision is final, so I'll be looking for a new Honda.

Thanks!
  • rimcut1rimcut1 Member Posts: 6
    Took delivery of my truck in March '06. I use it for work so it is high mileage. At @37,000 miles the pinion seal on the rear differential started leaking. Repaired under warranty.... though inconvenient as my truck is my office. At 62,000 miles I had the truck in having the differential and transfer case oil changed. (Didn't have time to do this basic maintenance so I sucked it up and took it to the dealer.) As I was signing out to leave the service manager said "Keep an eye on your left rear wheel. The seal MAY be leaking. We can't be sure right now." (Notice the whopping 2000 freaking miles out of warranty.) At 65,000 I was rotating my tires. When I removed the left rear wheel there was no longer any doubt about "possibly leaking." As I was busy at work, I could not afford to take the truck off of the road so I bought a quart of the required oil (@$18.50 per quart!) and simply kept topping the differential off until I could get the truck in the shop. I put it in the shop three weeks later (added about 1/3 to 1/2 quart during this time). Off course by this time the brake pads are so saturated they can't reinstall them so I can do the brakes at home. So, a $230 seal job became a $530 job. So, within 65,000 miles the "awesome" rear axle with the much advertised locking differential has now had two of its three seals leak. There is no freaking doubt in my mind the right side will do likewise. I emailed Nissan basically asking "what the hell" and waited two weeks for a response. Of course I also berated them for requiring a VIN number to send the email. No doubt they did not appreciate my opinion of that requirement. I finally replied to their "we will be in touch" automated reply asking "ok, when?!" They did respond Friday with a "please provide VIN so we may verify ownership" response. Man, that gives me warm and fuzzies about their customer service.
    So, let's now move to very recent events. Last week on Wednesday the truck suddenly died at a traffic light. The thing has been running like a clock. I restarted it, no problem. Thursday, ditto. Friday I called the dealer and made an appointment to bring it in this week. No check engine light, no nothing. Running like a clock, just occasionally dieing while sitting still. Well with two hours of making that appointment, I called the dealer back and said, "Number one, cancel my appointment for next week. Number two, I am TRYING to make it to you as we speak. Do not be surprised if I call you back for a wrecker." Service writer was very nice saying "I'm looking for you. Call me immediately if you need the hook." Well I made it. Truck actually ran good after dieing twice back to back, then no problem. I had to cancel two appointments I had Friday afternoon. Two hours later the dealer calls me at home to say "Sorry, we cannot duplicate the problem. No error codes. We let it run in the bay for 30 minutes. Then we took it out and drove it for 12 miles. It is running beautifully." So I go pick it up. The service writer apologized and said please just try to get it to us IF it acts up again. I leave, drive about 7 miles down the interstate heading home, get to my exit, at the top of the ramp the freaking thing dies. I call the dealer. (Not picking on the dealer! They are a good crew.) Service writer apologizes like crazy, though he did not need to. Asked if I needed a wrecker, I said "Nope. Started right back up. I'm heading to the house." He said to bring it in early Tuesday (tomorrow) and he'd put me in a loaner so they could keep the NISMO until it acted up with them. Today I decided to drive the truck (didn't touch it Sat. or Sun.) as I wanted to go mountain biking and the trails I was going to ride are only about 8 miles from home. Told my wife to keep her phone handy just in case... but I didn't really expect any real issues. I figured it might die once, I'd restart it, and go on my way. WRONG. Here I sit with my wallet $85 lighter because of the tow truck I needed today. Truck totally, TOTALLY died. I mean even the 4 way flashers wouldn't work. NOTHING. And as I sat waiting for the wrecker, occasionally the speedometer and the tach would suddenly start twitching and go below their minimum marks. Windows wouldn't work, stereo was dead, turn the key and there was NO response.
    I'm not sitting here bashing Nissan. But I am not happy with Nissan. I figured it up. This is my 15th vehicle in my life. Until this truck I was pretty much a "I bleed blue" Ford man. They ticked me off (Corporate correspondence, not a vehicle issue) so prior to buying the NISMO I decided I was done with Ford. Well, out of 15 vehicles this is the FIRST in which I've EVER had it in the shop 3 times prior to 70,000 miles for anything other than routine maintenance. And more importantly, this is the FIRST time I've ever had a vehicle strand me on the road. FIRST TIME EVER. I am very anal about my vehicle maintenance and routinely expect, and get, at least 125,000 miles (personal use, not work vehicles like the NISMO) out of one before I get the new car itch. Matter of fact, since the NISMO is for work I initially set up my maintenance spread sheet with mileage going out to 250,000 miles. (Not to beat an issue but I've witnessed first hand that an F-150 doesn't even break a sweat as I go for 250,000.) I've got to say, right now I am not feeling very good about my Nissan choice. I'm anxiously awaiting talking to the dealer tomorrow and finding out what the hell is wrong with the truck.... and what is that going to cost me! We are currently in the market to replace my wife's care. (2002 Mercury... 97,000 miles, TROUBLE FREE. She's just tired of it.) For the first time ever I'd told my wife "Pick any brand you want" versus my previous "Pick any brand you want as long as it's manufactured by Ford." Though she has her eyes on a couple of brands I did have her talked into looking at the 2009 Maxima. Now.... I don't think she'll be doing so.
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    Thanks for sharing your story; will be interested to hear the cause.

Other than a squeaky suspension, my 05 NISMO was flawless, but I traded it after only 30K miles for an 07 Tundra, which has been flawless through 33K miles.
    Picked up my NISMO this morning........ after handing the dealer $541. The root cause of the problem was some sort of power distribution module. Of course that issue had nuked my battery as well. Drove it home, around a 20 to 25 minute ride. Ran beautifully. Spent 20 minutes or so reloading all of my work crap into the truck, jump into to hit the road, turn the key, engine spins like hell..... but won't start. Long story short, here I sit waiting on a freaking wrecker. Here on out my truck is no longer referred to as "the NISMO." Now it is "the P.O.S."

Meanwhile, yesterday Nissan responded to my email with a totally canned "customer service is important to us" piece of junk.

I should have bought the Toyota.
  • my_stilettomy_stiletto Member Posts: 1
    Wow, I'm sitting here contemplating the purchase of a 2008 NISMO and this is giving me second thoughts. And one of the factors influencing my decision is the renowned Dana 44 rear axle with the e-locker. Is the Nismo going to be more trouble than its worth? I need a good, strong truck for towing my boat or camper, AND something I can use for rugged off road use when going hunting. Was looking at the NISMO and the Silverado Z71, but didn't care for the low clearance and poor approach/departure angles of the Silverado. Plus I "thought" the NISMO might have reliability more on par with the Toyota, and way better than the Chevy. Bad expectation?? Tacoma 4x4 is not an option due to low towing capacity, and from what I've been reading, I'm not all that impressed with what I have seen of Titan and Tundra reliability either.

Now what?? I'm seriously reconsidering going with a NISMO, and wondering if the Chevy is a better option.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Sorry to read of the Nismo troubles -- I'd be raving mad too. my stiletto, you can buy 4x4 capability sans the e-locker in both SE and LE trim. Depending on your needs, you can also equip both the SE and LE with a sort of poor man's limited slip that uses the anti-lock brakes to help slow a wheel that's spinning.

I have an '06 SE CC 4x2 6-Speed and at 15,000 Miles it's been fine. Time will tell tho. I think lemons are occasionally made by all brands. I think we own the one lemon Subaru Forester ever made.
    My tailgate fell off as well. The dealer said they would take care of it one time and I said ok, but if it falls off again I`ll be back!!!
    The dealer didn't fix ours. We had the hinges replaced by our local mechanic. The replacement hinges were the old design (like the ones they had on my husband's 1994 Nissan), which validates that they were of defective design. Nissan should have taken care of it - they lost a loyal customer.

I have since turned the truck in (it was a lease). We bought a new Honda Civic - Great Car, spectacular gas mileage (36mpg).
    How do I get my hands on the old model hinges??? My dealer said they could only use the new style hinges , which are begining to break down again!!! Let me know , I`m on the East coast!!!
    My dad is an insurance appraiser - he looked up the part numbers and our mechanic ordered and installed them. My dog chewed up the paperwork he gave me (honest!). I'll call and ask him to look it up again.

We were really surprised - very sturdy metal. No plastic crap like the ones that broke.
    Maybe they weren't genuine Nissan replacement parts.
    Well.. when I was last here, I was sitting at home waiting on the hook to take my truck BACK to the dealer twenty minutes after having picked it up. Turns out that trip was caused by the dealer reprograming my key and not asking me about a second key, and once I picked the truck up the very next time I started it I used my second key and killed the truck. Dealership ate the tow bill and apologized all over themselves. Ok, no problem. Stuff happens.

Now, let me briefly recap my recent experiences.
    1) Aug. 12 and 67,993 miles, $500+ repair bill for wheel seal and resulting damaged brake pads.
    2) Sept. 2 and 69,548 miles, $541(plus an $85 tow bill) repair bill for some sort of power distribution box.
    And now......... drum roll please......... man, you just cannot make this stuff up......
    3) Nov. 18th and 75,348 miles the P.O.S. is in the shop again!!!!!!!! About two hours into my day the following warning lights came on, sometimes flashing, sometimes alternating turns and sometimes simply all staying on, "ABS, LOCK, SLIP, VDC OFF." I was working (again, truck is my office) and an hour from home when this crap started. So, I canceled two appointments and turned around to head back home and to the dealer. So........ once again, driving a rental (more $) so I can continue to work while the dealer has my truck. I am absolutely fed up with Nissan. Never, NEVER will I ever again buy a freaking Nissan of any type. This is almost to the point of feeling like a bad dream. EXCEPT I'M PAYING FOR IT!!!!!! I bought my first Nissan since "buy a Toyota or Nissan and it will be trouble free" seems to be the mantra of the automotive world. Well, in all of my vehicle owning life (15 I think, all Ford except for one Chevy and one Jeep) I have never, NEVER had a vehicle with a track record even remotely this bad. This is pathetic. What really sucks is that I'm stuck with the thing for quite a while. It's not like I can go trade it still owing 2 years on it. I am so screwed. I'm actually thinking I looking for something used to drive for work and just let this P.O.S. sit in my driveway. This is nuts. It's to the point that I simply cannot afford to drive a Nissan. Add my payments and my repair bills I could have bought a freaking BMW or something. I hate my NISMO and I hate Nissan. For the first time in my life I have a vehicle in which I have ZERO confidence. Zero.
    I have looked, unsuccessfully, and am going to continue looking for some anti-Nissan bumper stickers. Once I find some, I am going to freaking cover the rear of my truck in Nissan bashing stickers.
    rimcut1,

I've got an even better list of issues for you, I don't have all of them in front of me, but some sound similar to yours.

I have a 2005 NISMO and here's my list. I don't have mileage or dates at my fingertips, but I could get them for you.

First issue I recall was the alternating "ABS, LOCK, SLIP, VDC OFF." Lights. This turned out to be my rear differential sensor. Make sure they fix it right by immediately driving the truck in reverse. If it hops like a freakin' bunny they forgot something.
    Next was the vent control valve and the fan clutch. Vent control valve was a grand time the truck literally spit gas back out of the tank at me.
    After that was the rear axle seals busting, along with the u-joint going bad. This was the point I lost my temper and sent a letter to Nissan. I got blown off at first, but after the bill hit $1000 and I went nuts at the dealership with my 10 invoices from another dealership. They decided to eat the cost of all of it.
    At this point my check engine light is doing the same thing it did when the vent control valve went bad before.

I agree everyone boasted Nissan Toyota is the way to go. Well I'll tell you after owning 4 Toyota's and one Nissan. A Nissan will never be parked in my driveway again.
    Sounds like you nailed my current problem. Dealer called me late today.... fault codes indicated the locking differential sensor. Not even a bad sensor, they found a bad connection on one side. They've cleaned the connectors and everything seems fine. Service writer offered to drive it home tonight to get a few more miles on it (and save his [non-permissible content removed] some gas no doubt!) and I told him to go for it. If this does turn out to be the entire problem, I'll be out of there for $95. But I'm still really fed up with Nissan. Cheap repair or not, I'm still dealing with the aggravation of the dealer visit as well as the cost of the rental, etc.

On another note..... my rental is a 4x4 Dodge Dakota. Man!!!!! Talk about a P.O.S.!!! I may not be happy with Nissan right now but you could not GIVE me a freaking Dakota. Jeez....... I don't like this thing at all. I must say, when my NISMO is running (key word "when") it beats the snot out of this Dakota in any category you care to name. Hopefully tomorrow morning I'll be back in the NISMO. Of course..... prior to leaving the dealership I might as well go ahead and set up another visit in a month for the NEXT breakdown!!!!!!!
    My 2006 NISMO has one repair which is TPMS sensor covered under warranty.
    I have a squeak which I believe is coming from bushings/mounts between the frame and bed or cab (have not really investigated it, when I get some free time I'll get under the truck and do some detective work), nothing else.
    Previous truck was a Toyota Tacoma which had a problem with dash rattles when new that required dash disassembly and replacing some plastic clips, then nothing else required any repairs.
    Before that I owned a Nissan Frontier which had a abs sensor fail while I owned it and nothing else.
    I could keep going all the way back to my '69 Chevrolet and my second truck which was a '72 Dodge, but what I will say about Toyota reliability compared to Nissan is that they are equal in my experience.
    I'm very satisfied and happy with my 2006 NISMO, my wish list is a turbodiesel for better mpg, and that is about it.
    I emailed Nissan yesterday. Same canned BS response as the previous time. I've cut and pasted here so all experience the warm and fuzzy feeling. I deleted the case number just to cover my butt.

We are sorry to hear of the concerns you have regarding the quality and design of your 2006 Nissan Frontier. Nissan is committed to designing and building vehicles that incorporate our customers' needs for styling, performance, quality and safety.

To set your mind at ease, file # ^^^^^^^^ has been created to document your concern. Your comments are appreciated, as they will help us improve our level of service. Your satisfaction with your vehicle is our primary concern.

We apologize for any inconveniences you may have encountered with your vehicle. If you have any further comments or concerns, please feel free to contact our Consumer Affairs department at 1-800-647-7261.

Thank you for allowing me to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Nissan North America, Inc.
    Just as an FYI, I noticed you said you've been e-mailing them. I called and wrote a letter which I had delivery confirmation put on. The phone call didn't work, but the letter got attention, especially since my truck was back in the shop again after I mailed the letter.

Also to the happy NISMO owner I'd be curious about the mileage on your truck. Mine is at 80K and rimcut1's sounds about the same as mine. Because I loved mine for about the first 30K or so.
    Well, picked up my truck today at about 10:15 this morning. I know you folks are going to laugh, and most likely call me an idiot, but damn I love this truck! I was so happy to get my butt back in my truck. Still hate freaking Nissan, but I cannot help it, I like my Nismo. I know I know....... I'm wondering about myself as well.

That said, dealer feels bad for me even if corporate doesn't give a crap. Only charged me $95 even though they had many hours in it. I was very appreciative of their attitude. So, rolled out at about 10:15, ran by the house to load all of my work crap back into it (30 minutes after unloading all of that crap from the Dodge rental) and hit the road to continue my work day. Loved having my Nismo back under my butt. Now...... 88 miles and about five hours later, cruising down the interstate at about 70mph....... you guessed it............ freaking "Diff Lock" light and the "VDC off" light came back on!!!!! Within a few more miles all the remaining freaking lights came on!!!!! SSDD. Just &%$# me why don't ya.

Yea, called the dealer. The service writer asked me to drive it tomorrow and call him later in the day to give him an update. If it's still doing it drive it through the weekend. SSDD, then back to the shop next week. His reasoning, "after what we did the system may still be resetting itself." I hate to talk junk about the dealer as I've been happy with them, but that reasoning sounds bogus to me. Since the "Diff Lock Position Switch" (per the repair order) is what had the initial fault code, I'd say just replace the %$#& thing.

So, I've been sitting here the last half hour or so reviewing my Frontier electronic service manual. (I bought it after the wheel seal episode.) I've now printed off about 30 pages of "M226 with locking differential" troubleshooting/repair information to read at my leisure. I can already see one big problem though.... most of this junk requires the "Consult-II" diagnostic computer, aka dealerships high dollar toy. I'm hoping to simply order and replace the Diff Lock Position Switch myself rather than fight the aggravation of visiting the dealership yet again.

One humorous bit, as I was turning in the Dodge P.O.S. this morning the guy totaling my bill asked me what Nissan I had. I replied "Frontier." He asked, "which one?" I said "Nismo." He said "Cool! I've been sort of thinking about buying a Frontier. How do you like it?" I deadpanned, "It's a total P.O.S." Then briefly recapped my service history/mileage etc. He looked at me and said, "you know, I've had quite a few guys come through here and tell me that about the Frontier. Maybe I need to think Toyota." I advised him to do so. You know, if Nissan corporate gave a crap I would not trash my truck to people. I would simply figure that I got the one in a million bad one. But since corporate doesn't care.... I don't care. If I can cost them even one sale I am happy.

05nismo6.... I hear ya about the letter. Last go round I did get some response. I hammered them so badly with a couple of emails that some gubberhead tried for five days to run me down. We played phone tag continually. He finally caught me one day, so I proceeded to run though the whole experience. Total and complete waist of my time. They simply wanted to let me vent to a person. I wanted reimbursement for the wheel seal. "Ain't happening." So, we hung up with two end results. On his end, he marked my file "case closed." On my end I simply told myself "Those $#%*&@^ really do not care!"

And the nightmare continues.....
  • lhuanglhuang Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys,

I have my 2005 Frontier SE four wheel for almost three and half years. A few days ago, I found the engine service light was on and I had Nissan dealer at Richardson, Texas checked. The report says the fuel level sensor is bad (code P0463)and needs to be changed. The dealer charged me $101 for inspection and otherl cost is around $600 if the sensor get fixed. I cannot believe the truck has this problem with only 42,000 miles and I drive it mildly...

Any thoughts and suggestion?

Appreciate your responses!
    I have the same problem. Only to make mine even better, because the sensor is bad the gas gauge has no idea when the tank is full or empty. I've decided not to fix mine right now, but I was quoted $479 to do so, because like any other day it's not the only thing wrong with the truck. It also needs a new radiator, the cheapest I could get anybody to was $638. That's right 82K miles, never been in an accident, and I'm adding to the laundry list of things on this truck that I've never fixed on another vehicle I've ever owned.

Rear Differential sensor
    New Computer
    Window motors
    Rear axle seal
    u joint and drive shaft
    vent control valve
    Radiator
    Fuel level sensor

Yeah Nissan
    My fuel gauge sending unit went bad too in my '06, but thankfully I am still in warranty. When you get it fixed, be certain that your dealer is aware of TSB NTB07-006. It reads that if the fuel pump, fuel tank, or fuel gauge sending unit requires service for any reason, install the fuel pump protector from the Parts Information of this bulletin before final reassembly. I don't know what the pump protector does, but perhaps it helps aleviate future failures.

Aside from this, my '06 SE has been good thus far, but I have only 18,500 Miles on it.
  • VonBreslauVonBreslau Member Posts: 1
    All,

i'm in the market for a compact/midsize PU. been a dedicated Toyota owner for about 15 years, various models, including a 2WD 4 banger taco. noticed sites like edmunds and CR have said nice things about the Fronty so i put it on my list of possibilities.

so, got my eye on an 06 SE, AWD, AT, 18k miles. a similar used taco would go for 4-5 more grand. i'm big on not having to repair a car every few weeks, it's the whole reason i went to imports anyway. to anyone's knowledge, is it just the NIMO's having issues, or are Fronty owners experiencing them across the board? aren't we just talking about suspension differences anyway, with the other mechanicals being the same?

i know there's a couple of head to head comparison threads already, but my question is more specific to the reliability of the Frontier itself....

TIA!
    I'll be honest I have an '05 NISMO and while I love the look and style of the truck. I have at home 13 workorders for a truck that is 3 years old. This doesn't include brakes and other maintenance, it's been for parts that I've either never heard of or never had to replace on other trucks I've owned which included a Dakota with 100K, a Toyota Pickup with over 150K and a Tacoma with 90K. It is the most expensive vehicle to maintain that I have ever owned, brakes, air filters, and the high octane requirement. Granted I drive a lot, but mostly highway. Based on some of the posts I've read I don't think the issues are with just the NISMO's although that's where they seem to be prominant.

Just my 2cents.
    My Frontier is an '06 SE 4x2 CC 6-Speed and has only 18,000 Miles on the clock, but I've been well pleased thus far. Time will tell. It's sometimes hard to appraise most any vehicle on the Internet because far more people post queries about problems than kudos. The problems do matter and should be recognized, but I'd also research the Tacoma forums to see what owners are experiencing over there.

I'd also sit in both, as they have distinctly different sitting positions. Many automotive publications have noted this too. If you're not comfortable behind the wheel, you won't like the truck no matter how well it runs.

The '05s on both brands were their first year of the new design. I'd look only at '06+ models to hedge your bet. Good luck with your choice! :)
  • eman916eman916 Member Posts: 2
    Just putting in my 2 cents worth on this subject and my ownership experience with my Nissan '05 Frontier LE Crew Cab. This is without exception the most expensive vehicle, in terms of cost of ownership, that I have ever owned. I have just over 78K on it, and performance wise I couldn't ask for more from a midsize truck. But that is all the good things I can really say. Took it in to get the front brake pads replaced in December '08, tech discovered that I had a leak on the right rear axel seal, which had leaked oil on the parking brake shoe and saturated that and the rear brake pads. Thought I was going in for a quick and inexpensive front brake pad replacement and walked out with a bill over $1000.00. April '09, I take it in because my "Service Engine" light is on and the fuel gauge sometimes works and somtimes doesn't. After inspection error code PO-463 shows up indicating bad fuel sensor unit, and during inspection they also find that my left side rear axel seal is now leaking. So here I am again, going in for one thing only to have additional problems discovered, and walked out with a bill over $1300.00 this time. I also had asked them to check out a problem I am having with the interior fan selector switch, in which I set it to direct the air flow to the defrost, or defrost and floor, the system keeps switching the out flow alternating to all the different settings instead of just the out flow I set it for. Dealer wanted $130.00 just to diagnose the problem, so I cancelled that work order. Now after the $1300.00 + bill I just paid, plus the $1000.00 in Dec.( that is close to $2400.00 over the last six months), the wife and I decided it is time to get rid of this money pit and look for someting new, before more problems start to appear. One thing for certain - it isn't going to be a Nissan product.
  • shufflesshuffles Member Posts: 50
    I have had my '06 4cyl auto for three years. Here at 35K miles, I have had no problems at all. I get 21 to 22 mpg in mixed driving. (Haven't been on a trip since it was new.) fwiw
    My fuel level sensor is bad too. I've also had my rear axle seals done already. (I threatened to call a lawyer, mine were busted at 67K miles) It sounds to me like Nissan has issues with the Frontier that they are refusing to acknowledge.
    This is the first I've read about axle seals. It's just insane what servicing costs these days everywhere. My wife's '04 Subaru (bought new) has been the worst car we've ever owned (eternal engine troubles, flimsy interior fabrics torn and stained), so I guess any brand can have it bad. Our favorite vehicle is our '92 Mitsu with 231,000 Miles. It's been a great car and I enjoy tinkering with it very much.

As far as New Gen Frontiers, a large forum shows a bunch of owners have had the fuel sending unit problem. Something like 10 to 12% reported wearing out of the VQ-40 secondary timing chain guides (chains on the camshafts) and some early clutch failures as reported here. I had the fuel sending unit problem, but none of the others yet. Mine is a 6-Speed.
    It looks like my fuel level sensor is on its way out. From full, the indicator drops like a rock for the first quarter tank. It moves very slowly for the next two quarters - then drops like a rock for the last quarter. Did any out there have similar experiences before the sensor went out? Or what were your experiences? Could this be an ethanol problem? Considering the expense of replacing the sensor, I am tempted to just let it go and buy gas every 400 miles. That has been a pretty accurate gage for me.
    Mine stopped going to full when I filled it up. But the first thing that happened was the Check Engine light starting coming on shortly after I filled it up, then it would go out at about a half tank and then come back when it was close to empty. Nothing like what you are describing though.
    Yep, my CEL too illuminated when my fuel sending unit failed. I ran the tank down to near bone dry when it happened. My gauge had been working fine beforehand.
  • jim338jim338 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2000 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab and am looking for a Camper Shell. I probably will not be able to find a used camper shell make for my truck. Probably not right away. What camper shells other than one made for my truck can be used. Thanks Jim
  • jim338jim338 Member Posts: 2
    Correction it's a regular cab not a crew cab.
  • mr2rogersmr2rogers Member Posts: 2
    just ran the tank down to fumes (first time in 40k). service engine lght came on as soon as i put some gas in. code PO463 comes up on tester. sounds like a hokie joke by nissan. if anyone has an easy fix, i'd love to hear 'bout it. thanks!
  • mr2rogersmr2rogers Member Posts: 2
    i just disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes to let the computer reset. the check engine light went off. no problems. a whole lot cheaper than letting dealer install new pump and sending unit! hope this helps!
  • mystromystro Member Posts: 64
    Thanks Mr.rodgers...excellent tip although I wouldn't advise that on some euro cars..bad things car happen to the computer.
    Any suggestions on tires - please? I have been looking and the General Grabber HTS seems to be a good combination of safety, comfort and price. The Tire Rack ratings indicate them as vastly superior to the original equipment General Grabber AW. Snow and ice are not relavent factors here in Florida.