Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• capn_easycapn_easy Member Posts: 1
    After studying the reviews at Tire Rack I just replaced my original Grabber AWs (65k & still had usuable tread) with the Grabber HTS on my '04 Kingcab, 2WD. I am very pleased with them so far. Smooth, quiet and good handling on dry, very good in rain and pretty good in fresh snow. Not so good on ice or icy slush. I have two sand bags in the back which helps. The only con is a flat spot thumping on extremely cold mornings when I first take off. Goes away when the tires warm up. Overall I'm a big fan of General Tires. Very pleased with the Tire Rack, too.
  • shufflesshuffles Member Posts: 50
    I got the same tires for my 2006 a couple weeks ago. My experience has been pretty much the same as yours. I always felt uneasy driving in the wet with the OE AW's. Now I feel secure in the wet. My only experience that is different is that even with temps in the mild 40's and 50's I get the flat spot thumping for a few miles.
    Well, I went to the dealer a couple weeks ago for a recall. Mine is a 2006 XE 4cl auto. For the past 3 1/2 years I have been consistantly getting from 21 to 22 mpg in mixed driving - rarely more or less. Since the dealer reprogrammed my ride I have been getting from 18 to 19 mpg. I plan to complain loudly this week to try to get back to where I was. If you haven't done the recall yet, I highly recommend you think about it. My truck runs a lot better now, but it is not worth it. If I take my foot off the pedal it goes almost 10 mph. I am really steamed about this.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    So that readers are kept straight, this is likely TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) NTB08023 which reads that Nissan has determined that on some 2005 and 2006 Frontier vehicles with 2.5 liter engine there is a possibility that the program in the Engine Control Module (ECM) may lead to the improper operation of the evaporative emission control system. To prevent this potential condition from occurring, Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign to reprogram the Engine Control Module (ECM).
  • kbackbac Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2005 Nissan Frontier NISMO Crew Cab and after 2 mouths I developed a squeak that I think is coming from the front end. It only squeaks when
    I drive on semi rough roads, it sounds like a rubber bushing but not sure. Any one else having this problem and can anyone help me.
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    Sounds like you bought the one I traded in a few years back. Great truck. Never totally eliminated the front end squeak, but it seemed like it was coming from the rubber stoppers on the bottom of the front of the hood.
  • 05nismo605nismo6 Member Posts: 10
    I had the same problem and still do occasionally with mine. Mine is the hood, I just let the dealership know when it's making noise and they adjust and grease it for me.
    Thanks for the help, I tried grease on the hoods rubber stoppers and even the rest of the rubber gaskets under the hood and the squeak is still there. The only time I don't have the squeak is when its raining or its the truck is wet.
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    Sounds exactly like my 07 Nismo. I'm sure the suspension is the issue, not sure where though. I'm taking it in next week for a service, will mention it then and see where it leads.
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    Had my 07 Frontier in for a service yesterday. The mechanic traced the squeak to the hood bump stops, so adjusted and lubed and now the squeak is no longer. I'll see for sure when it is taken out over rougher roads though. I can certainly live with it the way it is, time will tell. No issues other than that, so I'm very pleased thus far with the truck.

Mick
  • gymbogymbo Member Posts: 37
    Rear splash guards came with paint protective strips,front ones don't. Does anyone know why,are they really needed on the rear and if so, how difficult to install the protective strips?
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Member Posts: 8
    You should include Pathfinder owners in this database as they are suffering the same problems (happened to mine, I was one of the "lucky ones" who was covered by Nissan USA). Nissan should be held accountable.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f177b6c/237
    I somewhere that Nissan is going to recall some Frontiers for faulty fuel gauges. Anyone out there know anything about that?
  • eoghan1eoghan1 Member Posts: 58
    I did a search and found your comments on the wind noise similar to what I have on my 2010 LE CC. It begins at around 35mph and is most noticeable from the passenger seat but seems to emanate from the left rear door. I expect it would get pretty annoying on a trip. I will tinker with some masking tape when our weather warms. Although it has been a while since your post I am hoping you can get back with some suggestions. Thanks
    The problem is Nissan's fuel sending units (FSUs) in the fuel tank which causes an inaccurate gauge reading. The recall affects Frontiers, Pathfinder and Xterras produced from January to March 2006 and October 2007 to January 2008. Nissan will be sending letters to owners in late March 2010 I have read.

It's clear the FSU problem affects many vehicles outside of these dates, so I'm not sure what Nissan is thinking. :confuse:
  • suzyq2005suzyq2005 Member Posts: 3
    I'd like to hear from 2005-2008 Nisson owners that are having trouble with gas gauge, radiator leaking into the transmission trouble, brakes wearing alot turned down a couple of drums, Both catalytic converters replaced.
    Had to put a gallon of antifreeze in vehicle already; heat gets its cold spells.
    Violent shaking of vehicle little over 50,60,70. Thought this was the brakes or vaccum leak, or tires, or catalytic converter.
    I have a 2005 Frontier Crew Cab with NISMO package.

My gas gauge hasn't worked in over 8 months. Fill up causes the empty light to come on and the needle to go to E, at about 3/4 of a tank it decides to work again. This all causes my check engine light to come on. Dealer wanted $500 to fix it, I said I think I'll just drive about 300 miles and fill it up, clear the trip meter and repeat. I've had numerous problems with my Frontier, including but not limited to, computer replaced, u-joint and drive shaft, rear differential problems, rear axle seals busted and had to be resealed (both sides), vent control valve went bad, clutch fan replaced (whatever that is), driver door not aligned properly, hood squeaks if not correctly aligned and greased, and a new radiator. All of this except the radiator and gas gauge happened before 66k miles, and the only thing I paid for was the radiator and the Vent Control valve and clutch fan. I raised heck with Nissan over the other things especially the rear axle seals and u-joint/drive shaft.
  • suzyq2005suzyq2005 Member Posts: 3
    I have a frontier with a transmission problem from a faulty radiator which leaks into my tranny. I'm hoping nissan takes care of this problem.
    Can anyone tell me where I can get a stock roof rack for a crew cab, I have a 2005 Nismo and would like to but a rack on it but can't find one, Nissan wants to much.
  • maxmooneyhammaxmooneyham Member Posts: 1
    2005 Nissan Frontier have had to have both catalytic converters replaced. One failed at 78K, they other at about 110K. Dealer would not honor 80K warranty on first. Taking dealership to small claims court to recoup cost.
  • cel3cel3 Member Posts: 1
    2006 Frontier. Local key man said it has no transponder code. Ordinary cut key starts it ok. Will it stop in a few miles as part of security? I really am wondering if it has a chip or not? Is the cost for a key a total ripoff? Thanks.
  • mdntflyrmdntflyr Member Posts: 1
    My trans recently broke due to the leaking coolant tank problem. It is easily found when there is a purple "slime" in the radiator. The repair has been quite expensive (dollarwise and downtime!) while a replacement trans is being rebuilt. It seems Nissan doesn't have replacements in stock, nor will any repair shops have any in their inventory. The result? I have been waiting about a month to get my truck back. Nissan needs to "man up" and correct these problems to an otherwise excellent truck.
  • mystromystro Member Posts: 64
    Has anyone explained why this leaking problem occured?
    edited April 2010
    Mine is a 6-Speed manual, so I'm not affected and am no expert, but the radiator cools both the transmission oil and the engine coolant on many automatic transmission vehicles. In Nissan's case a leak is developing within the radiator, allowing the transmission oil and engine coolant to mix, thus leading to the problems.

Some concerened owners have added a separate transmission oil radiator and replumbed the lines to it. I suspect that the job is not that difficult, nor that expensive.
  • bspellbspell Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 NISMO truck has recently started the shaking that you describe. Did you ever determine the cause? A friend who is a mechanic thought it might be electrical. He replaced my positive battery cable and it was better for about 4 to 5 days but it is happening again.
  • draines5draines5 Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Frontier NISMO also had the trans fluid leak into the radiator. The heat was limited in the winter and the truck would shutter going into OD at about 40-45 mph. I have a bit of mechanic experience and new how to explain to dealer to fix. There are 'patches' and ways to bypass the radiator, but it leaves you with no trans cooling or heating in winter.

I just picked up my truck from the dealer after having the radiator replaced, the cooling system flushed 2 times, and the transmission flushed 2 times as well. I have complained and am now ready to fight with Nissan about this...I just want my truck to run like I have treated it...GREAT!

Has anyone else had their transmission flushed? What was the outcome after time/mileage?

My fingers are crossed!
  • betty1498betty1498 Member Posts: 2
    We had the same problem and the only way Nissan could fix it the problem was replacing radiator n replacing the Transmission. we are having big struggle trying to pay x the repairs bcs we were out of warranty...good luck!!
  • betty1498betty1498 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    How is ur complain going? our radiator broke n mix water to the transmission n Nissan told us that to fix it we had to replc tranny...it is no cheap!
    And i like to know what can we do about it...(Also we have had the computer replaced twice).
  • webbie554webbie554 Member Posts: 2
    draines5, ive also had to drain my fix my radiator problem, and i havent had a problem with it yet, atleast not that i notice.

i also have the shuttering problem in OD, around 40-45, have you found the answer to this? i would really like to get it fixed before anything major happens. i usually just shut my OD off, but any mechanical fix will be greatly appreciated

thanks.
  • draines5draines5 Member Posts: 2
    I had my transmission flushed twice and my coolant system flushed twice. New radiator installed and all new fluids in everything (cooland and transmission).
    Immediately after my transmission flushes I would only get the shutter if I 'tried' to make it shutter. I did a normal transmission fluid change (4-5 qts.) after 350 miles and the fluid was dark colored already. After the fluid change, it is harder to make the transmission shutter, but I can still fill it shifting weird into OD.
    I will continue to change my transmission fluid until it comes out the correct color for new fluid (clear pink-red).

I keep my OD in the 'on' position. I want to make sure the new transmission fluid is getting 'pumped' through all the little gears and bands within the transmission. This seems to be the biggest issue with getting all the radiator fluid out of theh transmissions? I have gotten advice from several mechanics, and they tell me that I need to nurse it back to health with several fluid changes and easy driving.

I also installed a second transmission cooler on my own. I did this when I did the radiator bypass on my new radiator. After all this I still think its crazy that Nissan would put a new radiator into my truck, AND hook it up the exact same way that it failed!

I am still talking to Nissan...when they return my calls...to try and meet some type of resolve for this. I am sure I will not prevail in the end, but can't afford to not try. There are some guys on the Nissan Frontier Forum that have between 65k and 110k miles on their transmissions after the defect-failure and feeling the shutter. So, my hopes are slightly elevated that my truck will make it.

Dan
  • webbie554webbie554 Member Posts: 2
    so, your saying just check the fluid, and re-flush it if it looks dis-colored?

i really hope this helps, im on the merge of selling the truck. its such a nice looking truck, but mechanically its pretty ugly.
    I just got a letter from Nissan that they were extending the warranty on the fuel sending unit. I already have an appointment tomorrow morning to get a new one installed at no cost to me.
    edited November 2010
    In view of Toyota's reliability issues, Nissan finally decided to re-engineer the fuel sending unit and is replacing them at no charge. My truck was included, which is good because I had TWO of them go bad, Oddly, only certain Gen 2 years and months are included, which infuriates owners which own models with failed fuel sending units that are not covered.

Come December 2010, Nissan will contact certain owners by mail about faulty IPDMs (Intelligent Power Distribution Modules) which cause some models to quit runnning or not start. I think that '05s and '06s are included, but I'm not sure about '07+.

Modern vehicles are just too durn complex.
    I'm not so happy now. While driving this morning the fuel gauge went as low as it could go. Not knowing how much gas the dealer spilt during the replacement, I immediately stopped for a fill-up. All of 12.4 gallons. This unit is worse than the one it replaced. :mad:
  • jsan1jsan1 Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2010
    Check out this sliding armrest for the Nissan Frontier.( Go to www.greatarmrest.shutterfly.com) This armrest addition really adds comfort and looks factory installed. I have one and it is absolutely fantastic.
    GREAT CHRISTMAS GIFT
    Check out www.greatarmrest.shutterfly.com Great armrest extension by S. Mfg.
    Check out weathertech.com , the digital floor mats are fantastic and check out www.greatarmrest.shutterfly.com for a sliding armrest.Let me know if this information is useful!
    Jsan
  • truenorth55truenorth55 Member Posts: 1
    'Got some surprisingly good news this afternoon re: the FSU I replaced in my '07 Frontier on my dime in July '09. Hopefully, it'll be helpful for others on this board as well.
    My FSU faulted out, causing me to run out of gas on the freeway in rush hour traffic. 'Took it my dealer, but because I was 7000 mi. past my factory warranty, and because my second-tier extended warranty didn't cover the FSU, I had to pay for it. Not happy.
    After reading several recent postings here, I called Nissan Customer Care (800-647-7261). The rep told me that because of the volume of calls they've received, Nissan is extending the warranty on the eligible FSUs to 72,000 mi. When I explained my situation and asked if Nissan is reimbursing those who already paid for the repair, without hesitation he said yes. All I had to do was fax in my dealer's service ticket with proof of payment (which I had right in front of me). I won't call this closed til I have a $435.00 check in my hands, but it seems like Nissan's trying to make this right. 'Will keep you posted.
  • truenorthtruenorth Member Posts: 3
    Well, that didn't take long. 'Got the check today. Nissan made good on the entire bill. If you've been through the hassle of a faulty FSU, you really need to look into this.
    My Frontier is just over 4.5 years old. Will I be needing a new battery soon? What is your experience? My service manager told me it might cause damage to pull a dead battery and go get a new one.

Also, my second replacement fuel sending unit works better than the first replacement unit but not as well as the original unit. It gets stuck at a quarter tank till there are two gallons left. Then it quickly drops to empty. The service manager is going to huddle with Nissan to figure out what to do next.
  • leeyleey Member Posts: 4
    During the last summer, I found the my 05 Nissan frontier had some noise and feel there was an vibration when I drive over 60 miles an hour. I couldn't find anything wrong, so on November 20th, I visited Nissan dealer let them check what really happened; the Nissan technician told me the the front drive shaft u joint went off and this caused the vibration noise. The issue is my truck was only 48,500 miles during that visit and I don't expect that kind of problem happened with that mileage. Do you folks think this is a normal? I don't do off-road at all even the truck has 4x4 option.
    Appreciate any responses!
  • leeyleey Member Posts: 4
    My frontier truck is just over 5 years old now; about six months ago I went to Auto Zone store purchased the battery and replaced it, so far nothing wrong with the it. So I guess if you are going to replace the battery by yourself, it should be fine.
    I had the same issue with my rear drive shaft and u joint, mine had 66,000 on it. My rear axle seals had also busted. I wrote a letter to Nissan prior to this because of all the other things I had trouble with. Luckily the Regional Manager at the dealership I went to was kind enough to eat the repair costs and I didn't pay anything. I'm also in the process of fighting the fuel level sensor failure, it first appeared at 80k. I will say that since I had the drive shaft, u-joint and axle seals fixed the trucks been good and I'm sitting at 130k miles. I have the Nismo and rarely use the 4 wheel drive, but never off road with it. Hope this helps.
    After the third try, it seems Nissan has finally fixed the fuel sending unit on my 2006 XE. They agreed to replace the whole fuel pump assembly on their dime. (I think that is what it was.) So far so good. It appears to be working properly.
    Last week I got a notice that Nissan would extend the warranty on the radiator assembly to 96 months or 80,000 miles.
    I also got notification that they want to replace my engine control module. They already reprogramed it in another recall.
  • losman719losman719 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    Hi All,

My 2005 Frontier NISMO first started having problems around 55,000 miles. The first major problem involved the timing belt tensioners which made a whining noise. The repair cost was over $1,000. I thought that was a fluke with the truck but boy was I wrong. Immediately after that I noticed oil on my garage floor under the front right side of my NISMO. I returned to the dealer thinking they forgot to tighten something during the tensioner repair. It turned out to be a leaking front axel which set me back another $400. Ok, so consecutive problems and I should be done right? Wrong. After they repaired the front axel leak I experienced a randomly occurring vibration noise. It's similar to the noise/vibration you feel when you drive over the ripples near the edge of the interstate. Once again I took it to the dealer. The dealer diagnosis was bad U-Joints (front). They replaced those at $450 but the problem persisted. After keeping it for a day and a half, they finally figured out the problem was with the radiator leaking coolant into the transmission. Now they want $5,500 to replace the radiator and transmission. I just hit 80,000 miles. I'm done pouring money into this defective vehicle. During my research I've found quite a few other reports of people experiencing similar problems with failed radiators contaminating transmission. This appears to be an engineering/manufacturing defect instead of routine maintenance. All of my scheduled maintenance was performed by the dealer I purchased the vehicle from . The truck was well cared for and should never have experienced these major failures. I'm waiting on Nissan to let me know what they will do to make this right. I'm hoping they stand behind their product... but then again I am an optimistic kinda guy.

Update: Just heard from the dealer and they've agreed to replace the transmission. It appears Nissan does care about their customers.
    Glad that Nissan covered the repair. A number of owners have hung a separate transmission fluid cooler and routed the fluid lines to it, thus eliminating the potential for failure.

I have the 6-Speed manual, so don't have to worry with it.
  • crazyivan06crazyivan06 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased an '06 Frontier XE. I've begun hearing a loud ticking noise coming from in the dashboard shortly after starting the engine. The noise lasts for approximately 10 seconds then goes away and doesn't occur every time but is very annoying when it does. The dealer says it may have to do with the passenger airbag running a "self-test" and is probably normal. I find that to be an unsatisfactory response. Any ideas or similar experiences?
  • 604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    This is a long shot, but could it be one of the doors in the ducting for the climate control possibly stuck a little?

I think they're vacuum controlled, so maybe when you first start the engine and the vacuum builds, it's trying to close one of the doors, and it's chattering a bit.

Try changing the settings for the heater while it's ticking. Floor to defrost, defrost to vent, etc. If the noise stops or changes, that could be your issue.

Keep us posted.
  • toddc34jdtoddc34jd Member Posts: 1
    How did you get Nissan to repair the transmission. I was declined...
  • losman719losman719 Member Posts: 2
    I was lucky enough that my dealer service department went to bat for me. The dealer I purchased the Frontier from was the same one that performed all of the scheduled maintenance. They didn't identify the problem during the numerous times it was in for service. In fact, they said there really wasn't anything that could've been done to prevent the failure or identify it early enough to prevent damaging the transmission. It took about 2 months for a replacement (rebuilt) transmission to arrive but I was ok with that since I didn't have to pay for it. My only out of pocket cost was the radiator replacement.