Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    what are you kidding me after 3trucks if you can't tell plastic is no good you need to wake up and smell the coffee.I too have owened 3trucks and plastic is so cheap you mine as well trade some baseball cards for it even the guys at my auto shop can't give them away too dealers frome people comeing into get sprayliners,the dealers wont even take them for free I'm told by a good scorce.

so think again.
    I told one guy to chose a sprayline and diff. between the both as we can see this other guy has no clue!!!
  • PaulPaul Member Posts: 9
    If you are a die hard personal water craft rider (PWC) then you will be glade to know that the Nissan Frontier is the main sponsor of the 2005 Nissan Florida PWC Rally series or known as "FRS". The Frontier will be the big talk at the events along with a lot PWC's. I can't wait to go with my boats and my Frontier! The first event is April 16-17 in St. Pete, FL. Thank you Nissan!
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    Do any of you know the part number(s) for FRAM or any other after-market oil filters for the 2005 4.0L V6?

I hate to give the Nissan dealer $8-10 for their filters.

Thanks!
  • lywqlywq Member Posts: 2
    I've looked extensively at both the Tac and the Frontier and seemed to have developed a preference for the Frontier. They both seem very comparable, but I like the looks of the Frontier better. To me, it looks tougher.

One of the things I noticed about the Frontier that I don't find very appealing is what appears to be a lack of quality underneath the truck. I've noticed that both drive shafts, all the U-joints, the exhaust and a couple of other components are rusted. Is it possible this was intentional? I've heard that some steals are designed to form a thin layer of rust for protection. Does anyone think that's the situation or just a lack in quality? The Tac does not have this problem.
    Took delivery of my new CC LE yesterday, and I saw no rust when I looked underneath. Of course, I don't suppose it will look that way for long, Given what Colorado puts on is roads when it snows.
  • cipitincipitin Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know how much the sliding bed extender actually extends the length of the bed?

Thanks
  • pro152pro152 Member Posts: 10
    I also test drove the 2.5 and thought the truck drove fairly well. It shifted even smoother I thought, than the 6 cylinder and 6 speed. As for power with a full payload with the driver only , it should do the job . With the 5 speed you can control most power. I think that is why they do not offer a automatic transmission with the four cylinder. I had a 1991 Nissan 135 hp and it hauled a full load fine and was even able to pass , with the manual transmission.
    My only grip against Nissan this time is that they do not offer traction control with the two wheel drive four cylinder. I would think by now with all the changes over the years they would offer the locking rear to give better control ? Chevy offers it for only $300 more , but I did not like the Colorado's quality. Toyota offers traction control , but it costs $800 and must be special ordered. Nissan only offers it with the V6 . I would give the new Frontier XE very high marks if it had the traction control available...
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    Only a personal preference, but I have cut open a Fram filter to examine it and would never use one on my truck. Why not use OEM Nissan filters? You can get them at www.courtesyparts.com for about $5 and they are excellent quality, made for Nissan by Mahle.
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    I have cut open several oil filters (including OEM) for this engine, and quite a few more for Hondas. I believe, based on part cross-references, newer Honda filters are interchangeable with the Frontier filters.
    I believe you can find filters for the Frontier by looking up the part for a newer Maxima. They are the same, I have read.
    The factory Nissan filters seem to be very good. They fit much more filter element height into the can as compared to bosch, purolator, mobil1, etc. The filter I am going to get next is a Baldwin. It comes in a "long version," which is longer than any other I have found, but still has the same bypass valve, etc. I am going to cut one open to see how it looks. If it has more filtering media than the Nissan filter, I'll use them, as long as the quality is good.
    A word of caution... Despite what some have said about filters with cardboard endcaps, don't shy away from them. Many OEM filters have this construction, and I have opened USED filters with Cardboard endcaps, and they are still perfectly in tact, as a new one is. The problem is whether or not the media is glued to the cardboard OR metal endcaps correctly.
    That said, I would not buy a Fram - but not for the cardboard endcap reason folks usually give. It is because I have had them blow the seal and squirt oil all over. Since that happened, I have not purchased another Fram filter.
    I hope that helps. These are only my opinions/findings.
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    Truxedo is compatible with the util-track in the Frontier, but the bed extender will not flip.
  • ricceesriccees Member Posts: 24
    Use this cross reference as a reference guide only!

Manufacturer
    Part Number

AC
    PF2057

FRAM
    PH4913

FRAM
    PH5317

FRAM
    PH5343

FRAM
    PH7317

MOTORCRAFT
    FL2007

MOTORCRAFT
    FL822

PURO
    L14620

WIX
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    The "bed extender" basically allows you to use the surface of the open tailgate as additional bed space and provide the security of a gated opening. So, the effective additional length is probably about 12".
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • stormgreylestormgreyle Member Posts: 1
    I have a soft roll up Tonneau cover on my CC. Part of the deal when I bought the truck from the dealer they sent me to an outside source for it.
    The cover is a Derta Industries Snap-e-Top, velcro on all 4 sides with a snap in each corner. It looks great, but the best thing is I have full use of my bed extender,flipping,sliding nothing hits anywhere. I can't find any info online about this cover but then again I am kind of a tard with computers.I like it though. If anyone can find any info let me know please.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    Unbelievable! I decided to make use of my Friday night and do a little test driving to determine whether I wanted to keep various models on my 'short list,' so I did some last minute, pre-driving research and lo & behold....

No manual tranny offered on the NISMO CC? WTF, over? I expected this on the LE, but what is the justification on the NISMO? The MT NISMO is only offered as a KC - so much for hauling a family. So, drop to the XE for the MT and then you give up many options. Even the roof rack(!) which, while rather odd-looking, does serve a great function on a pickup with a midget bed. Oy. Sure, aftermarket is a possibility for some of the options, but what a headache. I am glad that I do not plan to buy this model year.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • midnightsunmidnightsun Member Posts: 92
    I would not buy a Fram [...] I have had them blow the seal and squirt oil all over. Since that happened, I have not purchased another Fram filter.

Same here. Mine only leaked oil rather than spewing it but the end result was the same. I asked the (Jeep) dealership about it and the mechanic said, "Do not use Fram oil filters, because a lot of the seals fail."

I have never had any trouble using the Pure One mid-priced filter (the one with the anti-drainback valve), or the OEM Toyota oil filters. I bought a 10-pack of the latter for about $30, so OEM is not necessarily more expensive.
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    I would note that I have used the standard purolators and the Pure Ones.
    Both are good filters, I think. I have opened those, too.
    BOTH have Anti-drainback valves. ANY filter for the Nissan Frontier or Tacoma (I had a 2004), or any of the Hondas I've owned ought to have an Anti-drainback valve. I think Purolator filters are pretty good. The black-packaged Bosch are nice, too, for the $... VERY similar to the Mobil1.
    Bosch, Mobil1, AC Delco, Valutech (or something like that) all come from the same plant. The main difference is the filtering media quality. The cheaper you buy, the crappier the media. Bosch is very much like PureOne from Purolator, and also a lot like Mobil1. The basic Purolator is decent, too. You will see filters like the basic purolator selling for less, like MicroGuard, or Pro-Line. I do know that the MicroGuard is the same construction, but appears to use the cheap media. I'll confirm after I open the used baskc Purolator I just took off. (I have an opened Microguard already).
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    < Chevy offers it for only $300 more , but I did not like the Colorado's quality. >

GM's "traction control" on the Colorado/Canyon is not what it appears and GM has re-worded their original marketing hyperbole. The Coly/Canyon's traction control merely cuts engine output to stop wheel spin; the Eaton auto-locker takes over from there if it senses a need to lock up.

I really like the Coly/Canyon looks, but I too wonder about GM's build quality. GM also has some stupid limitations with models and features that are hard to figure.

Asa
    After reading all the above feedback, I printed the online ad from Courtesy Parts which listed 10 Nissan filters for $50 and took it to my dealer. Amazingly, they matched the price. Got the 10 crushable washers too! I should be set for several years.....

I just have to say though, that I used the higher-end FRAM filters on my old Ford Ranger for the last three years without any problems.

BTW- I'm EXTREMELY pleased with our new CC LE 4X4 in Storm Gray with cloth. Wonderful truck, and worth every penny, IMHO.

I drove all the small(er) trucks in one day, and chose the Nissan over all the others. I only liked ONE thing on the Tacoma: the sport seats.

Nissan has definitely learned its lesson from the old Frontier and I'm glad I got a good deal on one before the masses discover what a super truck this is!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    WOMEN AND TRUCKS. One of our journalists is writing an article about women and trucks: why they love their trucks, the decisions that they have to make when purchasing a truck versus a car, and whether or not they&#146;ve encountered discrimination or bias when buying or driving a truck. If you&#146;d like to share your story, please respond to jhelperin@edmunds by Sunday, March 26th. Thanks!
  • jonaschilkjonaschilk Member Posts: 5
    I'd like to throw in my three cents about leg room.
    I am 6'-5" and I drive a 1985 Toyota Extracab P.U. in comfort:

1) The '05 Tacoma did NOT have enough driver legroom. There was not enough clearance between the steering wheel and my knees; even when the steering wheel was extended and with the seat set back all the way.

2) I had a similar experience with the 05 Ford F-150, the 05 Dodge Dakota, the 05 Tundra, etc. The 05 Titan and 05 Ram 1500 had lots of legroom, but they were too much truck for my needs.

3) The 05 Frontier KC was had plenty of legroom for me, which is a HUGE selling point.
    I just wish Nissan designed the interior with a little less cheap plastic.
  • pryme21pryme21 Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone had a tow hitch put on aftermarket. The dealer told me I could save $80 to $90 if I had it done outside.
    I have made a deal for a truck the only thing is I wanted the hitch receiver package which this one dose not have. I get the bed extender and divider instead, which I don't really need. I am thinking just have the dealer do it, what's another $100 when I am going to spend close to $30,000 as it is.
    Thanks

Picking up Sat. Morning!
  • jflashjflash Member Posts: 45
    You can buy the OEM hitch for $166 at www.courtesyparts.com and install it yourself in 20 minutes.
  • stringbenderstringbender Member Posts: 29
    We'll I just got rid of my Z85 LS Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab that I had about a year and here are my thoughts about them at least from my own experience. I had the Z85 which I believe performed better, as far as accellaration and mpg rating than the Z71 off road trucks because it was lighter and not as tall. I didn't really have any serious problems with mine, a noise or two and a few rattles and squeeks, and my AC was not very cold, but there are a lot of owners that are very happy and have no problems at all. It's the only crew cab that I know of that looks great,gets 21 - 27 real world mpg and still has the power to tow up to 4k or more, and also will do 85 mph in the quarter mile. I mainly got rid of it because I feel like these vehicle will improve in quality and get rid of some of the new production bugs in the next year and if they do I will buy another one, if not I will definitley consider buying a Frontier which I am very impressed with. By the way the Colorados autolock rear end works great, it has helped me many times while starting out on slick services, to me it is as good as positraction. If you want to know more about the Colorado or Canyon go to Coloadofans.com
  • ageezerageezer Member Posts: 7
    Have any of you 2005 Frontier LE owners noticed the paint difference in the front bumper and the rest of the truck?

I pointed this out to the dealer and they said it was because of the factory installed transparent "chip shield" on the bumper. I have the same transparent cover on my '05 Sienna and it doesn't cause any problem with the color match.

It appears to me that the front bumpers were manufactured and painted in another plant and the paint color used, was a completely different shade. Take a look and you will see what I mean. It is on all colors! Let me hear from you.
    Our Storm Gray '05 CC LE 4x4 also has a front bumper that doesn't quite match. For sure it wasn't painted at the same time as the rest of the truck. It looks OK in some light, but not OK in others, if you know what I mean. I'll have to ask the dealer when I take it in for the first oil change.
  • larry10larry10 Member Posts: 88
    Does Frontier offer a "prerunner" like style?
    < Does Frontier offer a "prerunner" like style? >

Yes, it's called NISMO (Nissan Motorsports).

Asa
  • larry10larry10 Member Posts: 88
    Thanks, I wasn't sure.
  • mstgshmstgsh Member Posts: 4
    I have a new Nismo CC with 1000 miles, so I ran a mileage check on a trip today. 120 miles each way from Boston into New Hampshire on mostly highway. Trip out was with 4 adults and baggage, gradually ascending from 100 ft elev to about 1500. (In the rain up and back - that must hurt the mileage a little?). Overall 16.2 mi/gal outbound. Returning empty, on the highway only I clocked 20.2 for an extended flattish run. Nissan states 15/20 mileage for this model. I'd say they were pretty accurate!
  • pryme21pryme21 Member Posts: 11
    I just picked up my Nismo 4x4 C/C on Saturday! What a truck. Quick question, Mine came with the bed extender and divider. I would like to know if anyone has removed these items. I have the tools to do it but I don't want to mess with anything if it's going to be a problem. I like having them but I would like the bed space sometimes.
    Thanks
    Cheers!
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    I don't have the extender. I do have the divider and it just slides out of the track. No tools needed. I worry that one day I am going to come out and find it gone.
  • steveh427steveh427 Member Posts: 25
    I'm looking into purchasing a Frontier very soon. I'm a musician, and when I load my gear, I tend to slide speakers, amps etc, into the bed. My concern is that the rear end of the utili-tracks on the floor of the bed (near the door) will chew up anything that I slide to the front. I've seen that they come with plastic covers/protectors which simply slide onto the tracks. With that in mind, when unloading and sliding things out of the bed, do those darn plastic things slide out with my stuff. I can see where it would be a nuisance to slide those plastic covers back on everytime I unload. Has anyone experience this or are my concerns unwarranted?
    "when unloading and sliding things out of the bed, do those darn plastic things slide out with my stuff?"

They slide a few inches but then hit the tailgate. Unless you lift up, they don't come out. Try it at the dealer to make sure it will work for you before you buy.

So far I have been very impressed with both the bed and truck overall. The factory spray-in liner hoses out nicely, and all the water drains out. I have seen a few 05's on the dealer lot with drop-in liners where the water puddles and doesn't drain after rain.

Much to my surprise, the fuel mileage of my 05 CC NISMO 4x4 suddenly increased at about the 5000 mile point. I used to get around 16, but now I am getting 19 cruising at 83 mph.

I don't know of any truck other than the Titan with as good rear seat flexibility as the 05 Frontier. The seats fold both up and down without removing the headrests giving lots of flexibility. The Titan is similar but even bigger. You can fit an amazing amount of gear in the back seat of a Titan CC.

One other truck you might consider is the Ridgeline. It has an in-bed trunk that is pretty slick, plus rear seat storage space that is almost as big as the Titan's. The Ridgeline can't go off-road, however, as it has brake lines, exhaust, and engine components hanging below the frame rails that would be seriously damaged on anything other than dirt trails.
  • dbauerdbauer Member Posts: 416
    also, the rear edge of the tracks are BELOW the sliding surface of the bed.
  • badnessbadness Member Posts: 242
    Yes!!
    Thanks a bunch Pal.
    The bed extender will side the length of the bed and rotate 180 Deg.; you can slide it to the front and rotate it against the cab so that it takes up very little bed space.

Asa
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    yes, if you look at the nissan website, under the bed features, click on "spray on bed liner", you will see the bed extender at the front of the bed.
  • pro152pro152 Member Posts: 10
    I would like to buy a 2005 Nissan Frontier 4x2 KC . I like the solid feel and the ride is smooth . The four cylinder and 5 speed is peppy and fuel efficeint compared to the big V6 .

Anyway my question is : Is there anyway to get a after market locking differential or limited slip for this four cylinder truck ? Would it be worth it ?

The V6 Frontier offers it , but not the 4cyl. Toyota offers it for $ 800 extra , but after pricing trucks I found the Nissan could be purchased for about $ 2500 less than the Toyota.
  • pghgpghg Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone replaced their original gas cap with locking ones. If so, where can I get one? Thanks.

'05 CC Nismo 4X4
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    Courtesy Nissan Parts has one, $17

I am almost at 6000 miles. Other than the TSB on the engine and my fan motor getting replaced, I have had zero problems. LE CC 4X4, getting about 17 mpg with 70/30 mix highway/city. Fairly heavy footed. Been looking at other boards, I have not seen any post with problems, has anyone had any trouble? Looks like Nissan did a very good job.
  • charlie_bcharlie_b Member Posts: 19
    anyone compared a tundra 6 cylinder to a frontier LE?
    i've drive 45 miles to work each day about 80% of that on interstate and really need a truck that will do pretty well on the interstate about 75mph. i've driven the frontier LE and it sure was nice. didn't go on the interstate though. haven't driven the tundra yet. the LE has everything i want on it but the tundra is about $5000 cheaper and it gets 2 more mpg on the highway.
  • ricceesriccees Member Posts: 24
    Went to Las Vegas two weekends ago; my first all highway MPG test for my 05 Frontier, CC, LE, 4x2. Result: 20 - 21 MPG.
    Had 1,800 miles on the truck, used regular gas, 75 - 80 MPH with some windy condition. I'm impressed with the gas mileage hoping it will get better as I put more miles on it.
  • dbauerdbauer Member Posts: 416
    "the LE has everything i want on it but the tundra is about $5000 cheaper and it gets 2 more mpg on the highway."

then you are not comparing apples to apples. do more research, and equip them the same. you will find that the frontier has a better price point for similarly equipped trucks than the toyota.
    "you will find that the frontier has a better price point for similarly equipped trucks than the toyota."

from what i've seen, that's only true for the tacoma. toyota dealers are willing to deal on the tundra and there's even a $1500 rebate on the tundra now.

in fact, i just got a quote on a new really nice 8 cylinder tundra with gobs of options (sport series package, skid plate, limited slip diff, fog lamps, wheel upgrade, tow package, power everything, chrome everything, etc) for under $24,300 (about $3700 in discounts). it has more options than the frontier LEs i've looked at which are $24-$25k. if i wanted a v8, i'd buy that tundra today.

i want the v6 tundra which is roughly the same as the frontier. frontier has 20 more hp at the cost of 2mpg less on highway. torque is basically the same between the two. frontier has more towing power, but i don't tow stufff. tundra is 13 inches longer, 2.4 inches wider, 1 inch taller, weighs 50lbs more, has an extra 1/2 inch of ground clearance versus the frontier. they are basically the same truck stats wise. as far as i know, the only things i can't get on the tundra that i can get on the frontier are the mp3 stereo and spray on bedliner.

the whole point to this is that everybody's been comparing the tacoma to the frontier when the v6 tundra is also very similar to the frontier.
    If the offer you have is for an 05 Tundra with the new, more powerful V8, I'd get the Tundra. I suspect the resale on a Tundra V-6 wouldn't be great. Personally, I think the Tundra is a decent truck, but I just can't get past the front end styling.

We all have our own preferences for trucks. Good luck with whatever you choose.

"in fact, i just got a quote on a new really nice 8 cylinder tundra with gobs of options (sport series package, skid plate, limited slip diff, fog lamps, wheel upgrade, tow package, power everything, chrome everything, etc) for under $24,300 (about $3700 in discounts). it has more options than the frontier LEs i've looked at which are $24-$25k. if i wanted a v8, i'd buy that tundra today.

i want the v6 tundra which is roughly the same as the frontier. frontier has 20 more hp at the cost of 2mpg less on highway. torque is basically the same between the two. frontier has more towing power, but i don't tow stufff. tundra is 13 inches longer, 2.4 inches wider, 1 inch taller, weighs 50lbs more, has an extra 1/2 inch of ground clearance versus the frontier. they are basically the same truck stats wise. as far as i know, the only things i can't get on the tundra that i can get on the frontier are the mp3 stereo and spray on bedliner.

the whole point to this is that everybody's been comparing the tacoma to the frontier when the v6 tundra is also very similar to the frontier."
  • gxb159gxb159 Member Posts: 46
    Can anyone tell me if the King Cab has LATCH for child seats in the rear jump seats? Is there one on both sides? I know the Crew Cab offers them but I need the extra foot of bed space. Thanks
  • zenszens Member Posts: 1
    Yes, the latch is on the passenger side-incorporated into the seat back and bottom.
  • 18frontier18frontier Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new here.
    I just purchased my frontier se kc 4x4 manual on sunday, I'm really excited but I've been having a lot of problems shifting into first gear. Has anyone else had this problem, if so can you please give me some pointers or advice to fix the problem. I'm hoping this is something that i just need to get used to, and learn the truck better. I think it may be because the engine is so powerful, this truck really wants to go! Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with the power!
  • dabaurdabaur Member Posts: 1
    I know this option is available on the LE model via the rear view mirror, but for some reason they didn't make it an option for the NISMO model. I called the dealer to see if one could be installed, but he wasn't sure that the wiring harness for it was in place. If it is, then I should be able to have one installed, or go with an after-market rear view mirror with compass and outside temp. Does anyone know if the harness is indeed there, or am I out of luck? Thanks!
    anyone know when the 4cylinder XE with auto transmission will be coming out?