Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Mark LT

rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
After having the easily-forgotten Blackwood, Lincoln steps up to the plate of the luxury truck category with the new Mark LT, which is based on the new F150. The primary competitor will be the Cadillac Escalade EXT.

More info can be found at:

http://www.autoweek.com/specials/2004_detroit/index2.mv

Enjoy! :)

Comments

• sirlandsirland Member Posts: 16
    Seeing how Lincoln is trying to get this luxury truck category right, I am a little worry that the Mark LT may be to close to the F-150. I am sure the Mark LT will do a fine job, being that it is base off of the F-150, but I feel that it may find it's way on the same road as did the Avaioter. Can the 2006 Lincoln Mark LT be a winner for Lincoln? What do you guys think?
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Dont' see what the issue with the Aviator is, sales have been solid and as expected by Ford's initial estimates.

The Mark LT will have just as much difference between them, as teh Lexus LX470 and Toy Land Cruiser...
  • bewhite25bewhite25 Member Posts: 35
    It may look cool, but I really doubt it will sell. The only special features it has is HID headlamps and a LOT of exterior chrome. Also, it doesn't even have a speical engine. It uses the same 5.4 3v and 4 sp. as the F-150. Although this is a fine fine powertrain, it's still nothing out of the ordinary. At least the pathetic Blackwood used its own 5.4 Intech. There is hardly anything different about this vehicle than a top end F-150, although you know Ford will add another $10,000 to the sticker price. Besides, I think the new Lariat is fine enough of a luxury truck with a very reasonable price tag. Now if the Mark LT came with the GT/Lightning's supercharged 500hp v8, a 6 sp. manual, a killer navigation/sound system, and exotic interior materials, maybe it would be worth considering.
    Hm, kinda like how the Navigator started out, and made it one of the best selling full-size luxury SUV's.
    Minimal investment in differentiating it, allows profit at lower sales volumes.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    But I gotta admit, it looks better than an Escalade EXT!
    Yeah, but there really wasn't a full-sized luxury SUV market til the Navigator debuted. It created a demand for something that there wasn't around previously. People felt a need for something big that made a statement and could also haul people around, so it sold. Lincoln already tried the Blackwood and failed. The Cadillac EXT is already out there. I just don't think anyone is going to justify spending $50-60k on an impractical truck that isn't much better than a $35k F-150 Lariat. I could be wrong and I somewhat hope so. It'd be cool to see the Lincoln divison come up with something else to help it survive, and I wouldn't mind seeing a decked out version of an F-150 on the interstate pass by every once and a while...
    The Blackwood failed because it answered a question, no one really asked. No 4x4 availability, and a useless cargo bed. Ironically, I'm sure they made a profit from it since it wasn't that much different from a regular F-150 and a grafted Navi grill.

The Mark Luxury Truck will actually be functional which the Blackwood lacked. And even if they still sold a few, since the product doesn't differ that much from it's F-150 roots, it'll be profittable.

Notice how Ford tested the market with the first round of the Navi's. Same engines, same interiors, just a different grill. Then as time went by, and they saw they established that segments and it's sales were solid, they strayed a bit... Offered a larger engine over it's Expy sibling, as well as some extra toys/gadgets.

Now in it's latest reincarnation, the Navi has it's own interior, more interior insulation, a few other items to enhance it's luxury side. And coming this fall, a new 6 Speed automatic lifted from the Jag S-type.

And the same could occur with the Mark if it follows the same steps, all provided that the market is open to it.

If Porche can sell an SUV, Lincoln can do a truck.
    You do have a good point there. I'd like to see it sell, but we'll just have to wait to see what happens.
    To me though, the Mark LT looks more luxurious inside and out than the Escalade EXT. Anyone else want to concur that? I just like Lincoln's choice of rims too. Not too abrasive or "intrusive" as the Escalade's ugly wheel design.
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    Lincoln is going to try to get their sales up. It will be interesting to see how well the LT works.
    For some reason, I like the LT's looks inside and out more than the Escalade EXT's. The chrome wheels seem to be a better choice too. I was luckily able to sit in a preproduction LT at the auto show (YAY) and I forgot all about this forum! Well, the chrome/aluminum replacements inside (not wood trim like the F150 Lariat) felt very stury and I could back and them and VOILA! no scratches. Leather seemed to be of higher-quality than the Ford's too. Plus, I noticed more padding on the doors and dash. Overall, I think it was VERY VERY nice.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    They don't have to sell too many of them to make a profit on them. Cadillac is proving that with the Escalanch, it sells in pathetic numbers, mostly to equestrian types who pull trailers with large 4 legged critters in them. The one thing I'd like to see Lincoln put in the Mark LT though, is the Lincoln engine. I think it's a mistake not to. Don't know the reasons why they are opting to use the Ford engine, but it's not a good one as far as I'm concerned. Lincolns should always be about more power, more luxury, more comfort than the Ford. They don't have to chase Mercedes or Cadillac up market, but they do need to differentiate themselves from the Ford line. The 4V engine should go in.
    True, but the 3V 5.4L makes just as much power over the 4V version, with a few more sophisticated items, weights a bit less, easier to manufacturer, better emissions and fuel efficiency.
    Grrrrr ANT! Then why do they make the 4V for the Navigator, if the 3V is "just as good & cheaper"? Cause, I'm not loving the price of Premium fuel at the moment.
    Well the 5.4L 4V has been used for quite awhile. It'll take some time before the 5.4L 3V is integrated into other vehicles. Australia has a updated 5.4L 4V making around 350HP though, would love to get my hands on that one. This year, the Navigator will be receiving a 6speed auto, same unit used in the Jag S-type/XJ. Maybe an improved 5.4L might show up next year....
    THat would be sweet!!!
    You can take a look at the Ford Australian site, and see the Falcon and see what they have done with the 5.4L. Tip: If you notice a 4.0L I-6, YEP, it's the same Ford Inline-6 from wayyyyyy back when.... obviously they have kept it and kept improving upon it.
    The Falcon is one SWEEEEET car... :-D
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Could Lincoln have possibly come up with a worse name than Mark LT?
    "Mark LT" sounds like the name of someone on the cover of Tiger Beat.
    If they couldn't come up with something decent, how about at least Naviator LT?
    They could have followed the LS tradition of naming.....come to think of it, maybe they did!
    (cough) Navigator LT
    Oh boy........ They really would love to make a "brand" out of the Navigator, wouldn't they?
    Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade Etc., Escalade Marmalade....

LT-Light Truck
    I voted for "Escalanch" for the Cadillac truck, myself. Blackwood was a great name. Too bad it was wasted.
    Blackwood, heh... Something I was totally against from the start. This time around, it will be a viable alternative.
    Will the LT have the Navigator interior, or the F-150 interior upgraded (which is no slouch, by the way)?
    Upgraded F150 interior, similar to what you have seen in the concept.
    I think I would have called it a Navigator LT, myself..... The Mark should be a coupe.
    Pricing announced...

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=19704

Source: Ford Media
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Lincoln is making Mark a series again...

THere could be a Mark Pickup, a Mark Sedan, and a Mark Coup!

Anywhay, I think more American cars should look like the LT, so much chrome! Its beautiful!!!

But why are there no XENON's and no NAVIGATION!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a luxury truck!

Personally, i dont care in this case, if i were in the market i would buy one, balck on black, with all the options.

Big Chrome, big Power, and lots of pizzaz, wow...
    You will see Lincoln use much more chrome inside and out, in the next few vehicles coming out in the next few years.
    I like chrome!

I must say, I do enjoy the adulation my Navigator interior receives when I entertain clients, as I did today. Took to clients to lunch, I drove. One of them drives a Jaguar XJ, the other a Lincoln LS, and both of them were cooing over the design of the interior in my Navigator. That's pretty good, for a truck. So, the Mark LT (still, misnamed, if you ask me) may have a place. We'll see. If I needed a truck, I'd probably buy it.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    The good news is finally an F-150 without black plastic door handles.

Possibly the worst name possible.

Mark LT?! Isn't that one of the guys on Queer Eye?

Gee, fellas, maybe "Navigator LT" might be, oh, say 100% better?

The SAME EXACT headlights as the F150? Couldn't they have changed them slightly for $45k?

Maybe they could have bought some on eBay so it doesn't look like a Ford F150 with a pimp kit grille.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    Aren't they xenons?
    First Mark LT just rolled out of the plant today.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Excellent! Hopefully we'll see some good photos of this truck soon (besides the promo shots).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    "The Blackwood failed because it answered a question, no one really asked. No 4x4 availability, and a useless cargo bed."
    No the Blackwood failed because: 1. Ford has no clue how to market anything. 2. How many people really want a $50 thousand + luxury truck? 3. How many people spend $50K on a luxury sled and then take it off road? NONE! 4. The bed was big enough to carry several golf bags, which is what those that can afford a $50K truck will be doing. The Mark LT will fail and perhaps Ford will finally get the message.
    Considering the luxury truck/SUV market is growing, it seems there's people who do want to spend $50K on a truck, or SUV for that matter.

I do know of some people who take their Navigator and Escalade's off road. Not mudding, or boulder hopping either, but they do go off road when they go camping.

There's minimal investment on this vehicle (since it's not all that different from the F-150 it's based on) At 2000 units, your breaking even on the initial cost that differentiated the Mark LT, from the F-150 (not including the profit it already makes as the F150). Anything there after, is purely profit. Would that be a failure if you sell at least 5K units?

As it is, the vehicle (F-150) will makes $10-15K profit in it's highest trim which is the King Ranch edition. Jumping into the Mark LT, is just a few thousand more, again...more profit. From the start, monetarily speaking, the vehicle won't fail since it'll post a profit from the first sale.
    "No the Blackwood failed because: 1. Ford has no clue how to market anything. 2. How many people really want a $50 thousand + luxury truck? 3. How many people spend $50K on a luxury sled and then take it off road? NONE! 4. The bed was big enough to carry several golf bags, which is what those that can afford a $50K truck will be doing. The Mark LT will fail and perhaps Ford will finally get the message."

Really. What then, is your explanation for the relative success for the Cadillac version of the
    Avalance that is still in production today?

BTW, I take my Navigator off road every month.
  • dialm4speeddialm4speed Member Posts: 110
    The EXT is not your average truck (my opinion) because of it's flip down thing. Also I wasn't aware it was selling that well. I think with the price of fuel alot of these vehicle will be going away. Now I could be wrong about all of this but we'll find out.
    may not be setting sales records, but there are no plans to cut it from the lineup that I've heard of. The LT won't take any more gas than an F-150. I hate the name but I guess some Focus group liked it. I bet you it works. It's nothing like the Blackwood.
    The Envoy, with the retractable rear roof, is getting the axe. Seems that folding contraption didn't help much.
    and GM market the hell out of that one too. I've seen one. That's all, on the road. I'll bet you the LT does better than you think it will because it's mainstream -
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    Looked at one yesterday....Holy F150..could not tell the difference- honestly. Pipeing on the seats, Lincoln badge on the console....HORID treatment to the tailgate....Good luck with this one!!
  • founderfounder Member Posts: 48
    I can't agree with you. I think at the time the Blackwood was released it just wasn't popular enough of a demand for a truck of this nature. Now today we have the Escalade pick up which is doing quite well. Why else would Ford rebadge an f150? Also the new lincoln is based off the F150, which is the most popular pickup to date. yeah I think this truck will do well enough to justify them making it. A more upscale version of the f150? You know the demand is there. At least ford better hope so.
    Bill only needs to sell 2000 of 'em to break even on the truck. Makes a few Lincoln fans happy, makes a few bucks after that. What the hell? Why not?
  • jlewis1981jlewis1981 Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody no where I can buy just the grill, and if it will match up with the F150.
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    First of all, the Mark LT is a really lame name. Navigator LT or even using the old Blackwood name sound much better.

If Lincoln hopes to steal Escalade EXT customers, then Lincoln needs to offer a new standard engine with at least 350 hp. Using the same old F-150 engine doesn't justify the steep price tag. Many Escalade customers buy the truck just for the power of the engine. Lincoln should take the supercharged 5.4 liter V8 with 390 hp from the Ford F-150 Lightning. Or better, develop an engine with about 450 hp so that the Mark LT can compete with he Dodge Ram SRT-10.

All in all, I think luxury trucks are the most useless vehicles on the planet. What is the point of the Escalade EXT? It looks good, sure but so does the less expensive Avalanche. Luxury pickups suck gas, and are usually just fancy rebadged versions of their cousins. The only good thing about them is that they look really cool if you add aftermarket pieces to them.
  • twinbladesztwinbladesz Member Posts: 104
    The Exterior to me is very nice solid looking and you can tell from a distance with that giant Lincoln grill its not the F150. The downside is that unlike the Navigator which has a very different interior then its Expedition sibling. The LT has the same exact interior as the Lariat or King Ranch F150's. While my wife and I sat in the back seat to rest a bit a couple of people hopped in and out of the front and said why is there no Navigation, and it looks just like the F150 we just got out of lol. Ford when making this truck should have got it right the first time by giving it a very distinct interior from the F150. Thats the reason I did not like the Cadillac trucks because they basically have the same exact interior as their Chevy and GMC counterparts.
    The same issue occured with the Navigator when it first debuted. You test the market by offering a mild version of a base vehicle. As the Navigator gained popularity, notice how it was differentiated from it's Expy cousin.

And the same will occur with the MarkLT... If sales do as well as projected, then in the future you will see various items (possibly different interior and engines) over the F-150.

Usually with vehicles in these luxury segments, it'll have those "start up" senarios. Same can be said with the Lexus LX470, Inifiniti QX54, Caddy Escalade, etc.etc. Luckily with the MarkLT, it already comes from a good structure, interior materials, noise insulation ahead of the competition.... Imagine the competition which gets slammed for it's bad quiality of interior materials, fit/finish, structure, etc.