Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz SLK

merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
edited March 20 in Mercedes-Benz
The new SLK350 has a 272hp V6 and new 6speed manual, new SLK55 AMG has a 360hp V8. Sadly no manual on the AMG V8 version.... Stylewise it's just the spy pics have indicated all along, and evolution of the current car with one major change, a SLR style front end. New Airscarf system keeps your neck warm during colder top down driving (!). New 7G-Tronic tranny optional for SLK350, and (standard) for the first time on a AMG product the SLK55 AMG. The V6 is an all new direct injection unit, MB also went back to 24V/DOHC technology, along with whole host of other tricks. The new car should surpass the 300K+ sales the old SLK did since it's fall 1996 launch.

M

Comments

• It is a welcome change in direction that they have decided to bring in a V6 with 6 speed manual transmission. I have this attitude filters down to other Mercedes models too.( I know about the existing C class and SLK stick shift models)

I might be in the look out for one ( If it handles like my Honda S 2000.)
  • Ok this car is HOT!!! I am in the market for a convertible... I was pretty much set on the BMW 330 until now :o)

When can we expect this car to be released in USA? Is the $ going to be increased dramatically?

The SLK is a great looking car! Does anybody have any pictures from the interior of this car?

Thanks,
    Cristian
  • tksungtksung Posts: 34
    I won't be surprised if there is a large increase, especially given the euro appreciation. I'd guess at least $52k for slk350 and $55 with G7. That'll a heck of money. I'd love to have one, but I may have to settle for s2000...
  • tksungtksung Posts: 34
    According to http://www.carbc.com/Car-News-680.html, it's $55k for the base slk350. Add initial markup, it could be $58k. A lot of premium for the badge and the good look. Im definitely off to S2000...
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I'd just wait for something official from Mercedes, because if those prices are right the SLK320 to SLK350 is going to be a 10K leap! That doesn't sound right, nor does 82K for a SLK55 AMG, per that link above.

M
  • The Z4 tops out at 225HP, and no hardtop.

The Boxster is around $50k, with less power and softtop.

Who is the SLK's comp? I'd charge $50k+.

DrFill
    Could be true, the new SLK appears to have taken a huge leap foward in interior quality, layout and design compared to the old car. There are new pics at germancarfans dot com.

I'm just waiting to see what the press has to say about a stick shifted 272hp (SLK350) Benz. Should be a revelation, for a Benz that is.

M
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,896
    It's on its way (well, nearly), so this discussion has been reactivated by request.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• cybersolcybersol Posts: 91
    Car styling is subjective, but to me the new car is just plain sexy while the old one is just old. The new 3.5L V6 generates impressive hp AND torque numbers, and is a vast improvement over the old 3.2L. The new 7 speed auto appears to be designed to offer the performance of a 6 speed manual. With 0-60 in around 5.5 seconds, if they make the new rack-and-pinion steering system sufficently sporty, then this should be a sweet coupe, much less a hardtop convertible!

The only question is what the new prices will be. If Mercedes offers this starting around 47-50k USD, then they might just get my next car purchase.
    Well that is exactly where it will be priced so get your checkbook ready!!!!

M
  • saugataksaugatak Posts: 488
    The SLK 3.5 is a HUGE improvement over the old 215HP v6. It looks HOT too.

As long as MB gets rid of those 600 useless electronic functions and ups its reliability, they've got nothing to worry about from Bungled BMWs or Lexus.

In terms of looks, there is NO contest.
  • wvubenzwvubenz Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how the SLK performs in winter (snowy) weather? A past SLK or 2005 SLK? This is my main concern since it is rear wheel drive.
  • wvubenzwvubenz Posts: 2
    http://www.maybach.ru/slk/index_en.php?ind=35

i believe this is a site where you can find some interior pics.
  • mbenounmbenoun Posts: 4
    I was at the Mercedes-Benz Tennis at UCLA and they had a SLK350 in red. IT was gorgeous!!!
    If UK pricing is any indication (29,000 lbs for base price) ,the US price should be approximately 53K.
    That seems a little steep for a base price, I hope that was a well-optioned model. The SLK350 should start around 45K and top out at the price you saw.

The 220hp(?) SLK300 should start at 38K or so. The SLK should sell like nickel beer at those prices.

M
  • mbenounmbenoun Posts: 4
    I sure hope your correct. Otherwise, they might be pricing themselves out of the market.
  • I saw a new SLK350 on the road today. Silver, with the top down. Very sleek and stunning. I guess they're out now?
  • I sold my '98 SLK230 in March, drove the new one last weekend. 268hp is a huge leap, even over the old SLK320. The additional size is a huge advantage -- much more comfortable, and the car has more presence on the road. As others have said, interior quality is markedly better.

Engine sound is amazing for a Benz - very throaty. The only demo available here was a 7 speed automatic, which I don't think I would order. It's a very busy gearbox, with the usual manual mode and "comfort" and "sport" modes. It kicks down multiple gears at a time when you step into the gas, and seems to have a mind of its own. I like automatics, because I'm comfortable controlling kickdown with the accelerator, but I never quite felt like I was in control of this one. This also seems like a lot of complexity destined to fail. Fortunately the standard 6-speed is supposed to have been nicely redone.

If you're careful with the options, you should be able to park one in your garage for under $50K plus tax. The dealer here in San Diego is selling them at MSRP. Compared to the Lexus SC430 and the Cadillac XRL, that seems like a smoking deal.

Back at the dealer: I didn't flog their demo, because it had less than 300 miles on the clock. But M-B's quote of 5.4 sec to 60mph seems reasonable. This is a fast car. While the outgoing SLK320 never felt that much faster than the SLK230 (though it sounded better), this one would have my old SLK for lunch. It also sounds good at idle, cruise or full throttle acceleration.

Today I surfed over to Porsche's new Boxster introduction on their website. 240hp for the '05 Boxster, 280hp for the S. 0-60 for the SLK and the Boxster S are within .2 sec. Makes me wonder about the price difference. For once, I think M-B has given a non-AMG product ample power. Kudos for that.

From initial photos, I was concerned M-B had overstyled the nose. In person, it looks classic. The character line on the side swoops down nicely into the front fender and smacks vaguely of Lamborghini (but far more subtle). The small size makes the whole assembly even more pleasing than the widely admired SL. You can actually look over your shoulder and get a decent view due to a larger rear quarter window -- still small, but an improvement.

The demo was silver with black leather. It's a handsome car, but I don't know if I'd get silver again. It's TOO popular. I can't wait to see it in black or one of the dark blues -- should look amazing. The dual tailpipes are tasteful -- jury's still out on the four pipes on the AMG, which seems a little Corvette-like.

My first impression: Great power, great sounds, very sharp styling. Controls are much more intuitive, although the odometer reset is diabolically hidden. (And why exactly anyone would need "four-zone climate control" in an open car this size is beyond me.) Mercedes really did its homework this time. If quality holds up, the new SLK should be a winner.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,896
    by request.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Any 2005 SLK owners here care to discuss the reliabity of their cars so far?

M
  • amgnutamgnut Posts: 16
    6 weeks & 795 miles on my SLK55. I was pulling into my driveway and the transmission (7 speed auto) spun free as if I was in neutral. I sat dead for a minute, then decided to change from "cruise" mode to "sport" mode to see if it would get into a gear. This gave me first gear and I was able to get the car into the garage.

After about an hour I had more time to check out the problem. In cruise mode there was no response, in either forward or reverse. In sport mode (or manual) I had reverse & first gear only. The transmission tried to change to second, but spun free as second gear tried to engage.

I called Tele Aid, their best guess was that I went into "limp home mode" and sent a tow truck. As I read my owners manual, limp home mode should enable second gear only and since that was not the case, I disagree with their assumption.

I was towed to the dealer (on Saturday), all I could do was to leave the car for the service department on Monday. I was asked to back the car down off the flatbed from the driver, which I gladly did. I noticed something strange at that time. The transmission was working in cruise mode, although I was not able to go off lot - so who knows about upshifting. Since previously there was no response at all in cruise mode - my guess is the problem may have disappeared when I got to the dealer.

I decided to leave the car and have it checked out. I need to know whats going on.

I have also noticed that the parking assist (passenger side rear view mirror tilts downward in reverse) stopped working around week two. I double checked, and yes it is turned on.

Today is Sunday. I'll be speaking with the dealer tomorrow. I will keep you informed.

Hopefully (not to regret my decision) amgnut
    I hope so too that you won't regret the purchase. Sounds like to me the same electrical glitch stuff MB has been killed for. I doubt if a new tranny blew out unless you've been doing some really naughty driving....

M
    naughty driving? I wish - first 1000 miles recommended "cruise/comfort" mode only on the tranny. No sport or manual modes, partial throttle & keep RPM's down. I'm pretty good (at least 80 - 90 % of the time) & not too hard the rest of the time. I've been waiting for the first service (1000 - 3000 miles) to begin pushing it harder.

Service advisor called & said they had to replace a valve body in the tranny. I was not aware of the need to re-program the adaptive transmission after its replacement. Advisor said 50 miles of driving (programming) minimum? Said standard operating procedure is the shop foreman drives it home overnight?!? Over my strong objections, advisor says its the only way they will re-program tranny. Sounds like a joy ride to me - but then again what do I know about MB, this is my first one!

I only hope the shop foreman has read the correct break-in procedure in the manual.

Advisor says he will call me tomorrow & let me know where we're at.
    It seems that in 2004 MB started putting the 7-speed automatic tranny in SL500's. 05 SL500 have them too. I've been reading old boards and have seen posts about the tranny getting stuck in first gear? I just spoke with the assistant service manager, and yes, the SLK 7-Speed tranny shares the same platform as SL's & E-class.

Can anyone share tranny problems & fixes on any 7-speed automatic's?

Thanks -
    That is very disappointing to read about. This shouldn't happening. All the 2004+ "500" models, S,E,CL,SL, also S430 and the 2005 CLK500 and also the 2006 CLS500 all have the same 7-speed tranny. The SLK55 is the first AMG product to have this tranny which might explain the problem? This is the first time I've heard of this on any of the MB boards I read. I hope its fixed.

M
  • dsbdsb Posts: 4
    I had the same exact problem. I posted this on another site:

Just got my slk350 yesterday and cant stop looking at it! However, I ran into a problem today. I have the auto and was driving in C mode; not using the paddles at all. Anyways, the car shifted fine from 1-2,2-3, then the car kept changing gears like it didnt know if it wanted 2 or 3 or 4. It lunged forward then back (not harshly) and went into neutral. I pulled over and turned off the car. Once restarted, I didnt have any problems. Has anyone of you experienced this? I hope it was once in a lifetime but not quite sure how to handle it. Of course, I will inform the dealership. Any thoughts?

Since that episode, I have informed the dealership of the situation. It has worked fine since but leaves me wondering if it will come back. I am going to make an appointment this week. However, I hardly doubt they will witness the same problem. I wonder if I 'reprogrammed' the tranny myself. I have driven approximately 50 miles since the problem and everything seems fine now. I too will keep you all posted.

As a side note, I should mention that I love the looks, feel, and the fact I have only seen one other 350 on the road. Glad I didnt get the boxster. I see those everywhere I look!
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    Took delivery a week ago. Almost bought a nice preowned slk320. Changed our mind at the last minute. Glad we did. My wife has always wanted a convertible & she is thrilled to death.Silver with berry interior. No problems so far. Cannot believe that we are getting 22-23mpg around town.In the country 25-26. Not bad for 268hp.
  • stroudmanstroudman Posts: 192
    It may have been a mistake to put that tranny in the AMG car. Time will tell. This is the first I've heard of any problems with this gearbox. So far, the story I heard was the torque was too much for 7 speeds, and the 5 spd would remain in those AMG cars. None of the V-8 cars have had major problems with it.
This discussion has been closed.