Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz SLK

Comments

• Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    by request.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Any 2005 SLK owners here care to discuss the reliabity of their cars so far?

M
  • amgnutamgnut Posts: 16
    6 weeks & 795 miles on my SLK55. I was pulling into my driveway and the transmission (7 speed auto) spun free as if I was in neutral. I sat dead for a minute, then decided to change from "cruise" mode to "sport" mode to see if it would get into a gear. This gave me first gear and I was able to get the car into the garage.

After about an hour I had more time to check out the problem. In cruise mode there was no response, in either forward or reverse. In sport mode (or manual) I had reverse & first gear only. The transmission tried to change to second, but spun free as second gear tried to engage.

I called Tele Aid, their best guess was that I went into "limp home mode" and sent a tow truck. As I read my owners manual, limp home mode should enable second gear only and since that was not the case, I disagree with their assumption.

I was towed to the dealer (on Saturday), all I could do was to leave the car for the service department on Monday. I was asked to back the car down off the flatbed from the driver, which I gladly did. I noticed something strange at that time. The transmission was working in cruise mode, although I was not able to go off lot - so who knows about upshifting. Since previously there was no response at all in cruise mode - my guess is the problem may have disappeared when I got to the dealer.

I decided to leave the car and have it checked out. I need to know whats going on.

I have also noticed that the parking assist (passenger side rear view mirror tilts downward in reverse) stopped working around week two. I double checked, and yes it is turned on.

Today is Sunday. I'll be speaking with the dealer tomorrow. I will keep you informed.

Hopefully (not to regret my decision) amgnut
    I hope so too that you won't regret the purchase. Sounds like to me the same electrical glitch stuff MB has been killed for. I doubt if a new tranny blew out unless you've been doing some really naughty driving....

M
    naughty driving? I wish - first 1000 miles recommended "cruise/comfort" mode only on the tranny. No sport or manual modes, partial throttle & keep RPM's down. I'm pretty good (at least 80 - 90 % of the time) & not too hard the rest of the time. I've been waiting for the first service (1000 - 3000 miles) to begin pushing it harder.

Service advisor called & said they had to replace a valve body in the tranny. I was not aware of the need to re-program the adaptive transmission after its replacement. Advisor said 50 miles of driving (programming) minimum? Said standard operating procedure is the shop foreman drives it home overnight?!? Over my strong objections, advisor says its the only way they will re-program tranny. Sounds like a joy ride to me - but then again what do I know about MB, this is my first one!

I only hope the shop foreman has read the correct break-in procedure in the manual.

Advisor says he will call me tomorrow & let me know where we're at.
    It seems that in 2004 MB started putting the 7-speed automatic tranny in SL500's. 05 SL500 have them too. I've been reading old boards and have seen posts about the tranny getting stuck in first gear? I just spoke with the assistant service manager, and yes, the SLK 7-Speed tranny shares the same platform as SL's & E-class.

Can anyone share tranny problems & fixes on any 7-speed automatic's?

Thanks -
    That is very disappointing to read about. This shouldn't happening. All the 2004+ "500" models, S,E,CL,SL, also S430 and the 2005 CLK500 and also the 2006 CLS500 all have the same 7-speed tranny. The SLK55 is the first AMG product to have this tranny which might explain the problem? This is the first time I've heard of this on any of the MB boards I read. I hope its fixed.

M
  • dsbdsb Posts: 4
    I had the same exact problem. I posted this on another site:

Just got my slk350 yesterday and cant stop looking at it! However, I ran into a problem today. I have the auto and was driving in C mode; not using the paddles at all. Anyways, the car shifted fine from 1-2,2-3, then the car kept changing gears like it didnt know if it wanted 2 or 3 or 4. It lunged forward then back (not harshly) and went into neutral. I pulled over and turned off the car. Once restarted, I didnt have any problems. Has anyone of you experienced this? I hope it was once in a lifetime but not quite sure how to handle it. Of course, I will inform the dealership. Any thoughts?

Since that episode, I have informed the dealership of the situation. It has worked fine since but leaves me wondering if it will come back. I am going to make an appointment this week. However, I hardly doubt they will witness the same problem. I wonder if I 'reprogrammed' the tranny myself. I have driven approximately 50 miles since the problem and everything seems fine now. I too will keep you all posted.

As a side note, I should mention that I love the looks, feel, and the fact I have only seen one other 350 on the road. Glad I didnt get the boxster. I see those everywhere I look!
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    Took delivery a week ago. Almost bought a nice preowned slk320. Changed our mind at the last minute. Glad we did. My wife has always wanted a convertible & she is thrilled to death.Silver with berry interior. No problems so far. Cannot believe that we are getting 22-23mpg around town.In the country 25-26. Not bad for 268hp.
  • stroudmanstroudman Posts: 192
    It may have been a mistake to put that tranny in the AMG car. Time will tell. This is the first I've heard of any problems with this gearbox. So far, the story I heard was the torque was too much for 7 speeds, and the 5 spd would remain in those AMG cars. None of the V-8 cars have had major problems with it.
    Picked up my SLK55 from the dealer. Had to replace valve body assy, valve body tubing & filter. Also performed "ED Shifter position learning".

Drove home, seems fine. Almost feels like shift points are slightly different, but wouldn't swear to it (adaptive transmission?).

dsb - dealer said programming was technical, but did not give any details. Diagnostic should show the code as far as I can tell.

stroudman - I read on SL500 board of an '04 with very similar problem. Probably an isolated problem.

As I push over 1000 miles I intend to test the limits of my car. I'll keep you all posted of my experience.
    Yes please do keep us informed.

M
  • dsbdsb Posts: 4
    Okay, I dropped off the car at the dealership today. They diagnosed it and found an error code with the transmission. They were unfamiliar with the problem and will be contacting the engineers before they continue. Sadly, I expected some possilble issues with MB and therefore I am not totally upset. I told my wife that I expected it to fail before my 04 toyota. However, I didnt think I would have an issue this early. Nonetheless, we shall see when I speak to them tomorrow. I am hoping it is a programming error and requires no physical repair. If they have to drop the transmission with only 200 miles, I consider that a serious problem regardless if this is a new model. Again, I will keep you posted.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Posts: 55
    Can you confirm whether or not a golf bag will fit in this car? I assume not, which is why I have not considered cars like this. I do however like the new version.
    Unless you're really tall, one set of clubs should fit in the trunk with the top UP. With the top down, no.
    When does the SLK280 arrive? Is the 227hp estimate correct?

M
    Any updates?

M
    I'm still getting conflicting reports about whether it will be a 280 or a 300, hearing a little of both. I do think either way that is close if not correct on the hp rating.
    1350 miles - been trouble free since tranny repair - about due for first free check-out.

I am curious about DSB's tranny problem.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    As we get some wnter snow I will have to change from my OEM Michelins--summer tire-- to an all season tire by next fall. Any recommendations? Have looked @ Tirerack site & Pirelli P Zero Nero seemed a good replacement. TR also recommended it over the phone.

Either I have to sell my Michelins or run them & change to a winter tire & then back again in the spring until they are worn. Ideas?
This discussion has been closed.