Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz SLK

Comments

• I am looking to lease an SLK 350 within the next 6 months. Does anyone know when the "end of model year" is for MB? Thanks so much!
  • stroudmanstroudman Posts: 192
    Rose, you can expect a new '06 slk in or around the 1st week of sept. Also, if you don't quite need that much motor, an SLK280 will also be in the offerings, and still should have plenty of giddy-up, for less money.
  • Can't find a picture of this car anywhere! Is it being released in the U.S. and is it a hard-top convertible? Price is not really an issue....
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    The SLK280 will be the same as the SLK350 in everything except engine. Expect about 227hp instead of 268 in the SLK350.

The SLK280 should be here sometime this summer.

M
  • I usually get that feel if it's not warmed up for a few minutes in the morning.

I have had mine 2 weeks and love the ride and waiting for warmer weather. I get many complements on looks and style espically the new front end SL look.
    Whats going on? Anything to report? Trying to get a feel for Mercedes' supposed to be improved reliablity.

Mileage? Any further likes/dislikes?

Also there is a glowing review of the SLK55 AMG in the June issue of Car and Driver. They didn't like the stiff ride, which is to be expected with any sporting machine in and around Detroit. Their roads are about the worst I've seen. They also said that 7-Speed jolts a little during deceleration because its downshifting through the gears. Anyone here notice that? I think that was all they didn't like. They were all for the styling, engine, handling, brakes, interior quality (so good to hear) and they did say the how the 7sp does a great job otherwise. Look at the 30-50mph and 50-70mph times and you'll see the theory behind 7 gears at work! The cars seems to be a big hit for Mercedes, which is really needed. It seems that its built like a Benz should be, now all we need is the reliability stuff from you owner folk.

Stroudman, any further info on the SLK280? None of the press material says whether or not it will use the 7G-Tronic for its automatic option. Any other real changes for 2006?

M
  • I'll try to keep this brief.While in Latrobe, Pa three years ago my right brake light burnt out and I couldn't get the receptacle out.At the Mercedes dealer they replaced the entire console explaining that there was design fault in the wiring which keeps creating shorts and melting the plastic receptacle that holds the light. Well the lights keep burning out and I need pliers to remove it. I have been told by Mercedes dealers in Arlington, Va, Charlottesville, Va, and Myrtle Beach, SC the same story that is a design flaw in the wiring. In order to replace the consoles again they want me to pay $500 and are telling me that that won't solve the problem because it is in the wiring or something. This is a safety issue, why am I expected to pay for a manufactuers defect? I called the NTSB and asked if I manufactured a vehicle would I as the manufacturer be responsible for the required safety equipment if there were a defect in the wiring. Yes she said, but...when I called back and re-explained it as owning a Mercedes they became very vague. Are there any suggestions.
  • pfeifferpfeiffer Posts: 4
    Hi everyone.

I've been enjoying my SLK 350 for a couple of months now. Everything has been great, except that the notice to "check oil level at next refueling" keeps coming on. The first time it happened, at about 1000 miles, I checked the oil level and it was a bit low, so I put in half a quart. When it came on again at about 1800 miles, I added the other half quart. Then at about 2900, I added another half quart. The manual stated that a new engine may consume oil. When I took the car in for its 3000 mile diagnostic check, they thought there was a problem, and replaced the sensor. However, it just came on again at 3300. Has anyone else had this problem?

Otherwise, I love the car so far. The service technician commented that mine was a "nice one!" He said people will buy the AMG 55 and not even get power seats. I have a Diamond Silver with red leather seats, premium package, comfort package, lighting package, AMG sport package, entertainment package, heating package, run-flat tires, and wood trim. I love, love, love the heating package and the wood trim. I don't like the CD changer in the glove box, because it takes up all the space. The sport package makes for somewhat of a bumpy ride at times, but it takes corners great; it just sticks to the road. Great price too. I paid the consumer reports invoice cost on the car and options, plus the IRG advertising fee. The dealer made their holdback. I was prepared to pay invoice plus 1-5%, and had even made a 5% over invoice cost offer to one dealer before I knew about the holdback, and they wouldn't deal over the phone, (of course.) It was worth it to order the consumer reports price guide on the car. I talked to every dealer within reasonable driving distance, (about 12 different dealerships) and ended up at the internet fleet departmet of the dealer I bought it from. Also, it was difficult to find a car with the options I wanted. Most of the ones sitting on the lot have two or three options at most. I wasn't originally planning on the sport or lighting packages, but they gave me some negotiating options since I was willing to walk away if I couldn't get it down to the invoice cost. I am very pleased to have ended up with both! The sport package really makes the car look ultra-cool.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Posts: 336
    This is my wifes car & I can't pry it out of her hands. 7 spd. She puts the top up/down several times a week---sometimes a day.So far no problems. Have nav system. Works well but inst. book is terrible.

Wife loves the power & I think the looks she gets but she won'admit that.Even the mpg is good. Over 20 around town. A slight rattle in the rear somewhere that we haven't found yet but otherwise very tight.

Bought it as a resale from an independent dealer w/1800 mi on it.From the MB website I see where we can get extended warranty up to the first yr. Where is the best price for this?

Seems MB got this one right. Have steared clear of other 03-04 models as I have an 2001 E320 with no problems.

Only "problem"I have is that the SLK came with summer tires that I will have to dipose of & refit with all season tires. All season tires should be an option on this car. Any suggestions? Looking @ Perelli P Zero Nero recommended by Tirerack.

Read article about AMG model. I wouldn't trade. 350 has all the power & more that you need plus a good ride & handling that doesn't beat on you. Windblocker works well. Have reg headlights which I replaced bulbs with Sylvania Silverstars.

One goofey thing. CD changer is in the glovebox. Takes ALL the space. Looks as if it could have been put in the trunk as nav system is there w/no problems & there is space for it.
  • I 've looked at both the Z4 and the SLK 350. Clearly the SLK wins out on interior trim and of course, the retractable hardtop is a compelling feature, particularly since I live in the snow belt. But I'm still surprised by how wide the price differential has gotten on these models- given MB's reliability issues, do you think the SLK is worth 10K+ more than the Z4 3.0?
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    A few questions:

What was the actual invoice on the car you purchased? Why did you order the Consumer Reports price guide - Edmunds has complete invoice pricing for free at this website?

According to Mercedes website, it appears that the lighting package is not avialable with the AMG sport package?

Was your car brand new (i.e. less than 5 miles on odometer) or did it have some test drive miles?

Thanks.
  • stroudmanstroudman Posts: 192
    Yes it is, absolutely! For one, the Z is built stateside, so there aren't any tarif-type/exchange rate costs built into the MSRP, which the German built SLK does, unfortunately. But in addition to the points you made about the top, trim, and layout, is the overall quality. I have traded people out of year old or so Z4's with anywhere from 1,000 to 12K miles on them, and they're just coming apart inside. A deal can definitely be had on one, they are cold, and getting colder, but I think you'll have more fun and better resale from the SLK, if it suits your budget.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    In my opinion, the Z4 isn't worth $10k more than the Honda S2000.

I am looking at the SLK350, Boxster S, 911 S Convertible and a couple of others. But having owned a 2002 Honda S2000 for 2.5 years, I do not see any appeal to the Z4. It's not as performance oriented (or well built) as the Honda, nor as civilized (or well built) as the SLK.

Don't get me wrong, I am generally a BMW fan. I think the new 2006 330i will be a hit and the 530i/545i are the best handling sedans at almost any price. But the same low rpm engine that is perfect for the 3 series and 5-series (and even the X5) is pretty boring in the Z4. And the car feels way too heavy for it's size compared with the nimble S2000 or even the larger Boxster S. If the price of a Z4 3.0 was $30k, it wouldn't find its way into my garage.
  • Well that certainly explains why they're are so many of them available, and at serious discounts. As far as the SLK goes, I'm just concerned about the reliability problems that have plagued the E series, and whether similar issues will begin popping up with the SLK. OTOH, the reviews I've read have been glowing.
    Yeah when the new SLK appeared Z4 sales tanked big time. I'm not sure if they've recovered or not, but this is a rare instance in which BMW was really caught out bad by a new Benz product that is built better, more powerful, and even handles as good or better (depending on the source). Also for some reason BMW doesn't seem to see a point in doing another M Roadster to combat the awesome SLK55 AMG. You just know a facelift is coming for the Z4 and I bet an Motorsport model.

M
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Yes - we have free pricing info on the site: Invoice, MSRP, TMV (True Market Value) which is "average" price being paid in your region for the vehicle specified.

Click on the Edmunds.com link at the top of the page > New Cars tab and navigate from there.
  • amgnutamgnut Posts: 16
    I didn't see the C&D review of the SLK 55 AMG, although the ride may be slightly stiff - it takes a pretty bad road before I get irritated. The ride is really quite good compared to other cars in its class, but not Sedan like.

Jolting through deceleration in a misnomer. The 7sp really responds more like a stick, during deceleration and the subsequent downshift, engine compression slows the car very quickly (i.e. like a stick). The solution is come off the accelerator slowly, and be ready to throttle up (even when slowing). In fact the most common comment from friends who have driven my car is the way the transmission responds like a stick. It will catch you off guard for the first drive.

After my 800 mile tranny trouble I have been problem free. I will be scheduling my first service in the next couple weeks.

Mileage? I can still get 20+ on my San Diego trips, but now that I'm over 1000 miles and broken in I've been down to 13 - 14 mph in town, in manual or sport mode and really testing my 0 - 50 from light to light. It’s hard to keep the mileage that low, because I really have to drive like an [non-permissible content removed]. 16 around town would be a closer average. Overall I think the mileage is great for 2 reasons. (1) - I mostly have trucks, and I'm getting better mileage & (2) - 20 mpg from 355HP, I can't complain, I didn't want a Metro.
    Thanks for the response. How many total miles do you have now?

M
  • amgnutamgnut Posts: 16
    1800 miles - first service recommended between 1000 to 3000.
  • hgileshgiles Posts: 66
    2006 changes courtesy of a poster on another board (info verified with MB rep):

Orion Blue and Everest Green are gone
    Pewter (used on the "launch" edition) is available

Blue leather is gone
    Brown Nappa leather is available

The sports suspension is NO LONGER available as a stand-alone option. You MUST purchase the AMG kit on the SLK 350 to get the sports suspension.

Pricing is not finalized yet to my knowledge.

I believe this pretty much sums up the 2006 SLK 350 options.

As everyone knows the SLK 280 will be available. I haven't heard about the pricing on it yet.
This discussion has been closed.