Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Yeah, the salesperson was clueless.

Put the truck's transmission in either low1 or low2 (locking it in first of second gear). Then depress the VMT-4 lock button. The rear differential will lock the two half-shafts together in the back end. That way a single slipping tire will not get all the power. This also locks the AWD system into a 50/50 powersplit.

It's like have a traditional 4X4 system with a locker in the rear diff, but without the 2-speed transfer case.

You should also deactivate the VSA (vehicle stability assist) as that will cut power from the engine when wheels start slipping. This is probably what the sales guy meant when he mentioned ABS.
  • For rain,ice,snow, gravel roads the RL is great and much better than other truck 4wd systems

For hard core off roading the RL's system is a poor design and the other trucks (Toyota, Ford, ect) are much better.

In the end it depends on what driving you so (not what driving you wish you were doing)

-W
  • thebillthebill Posts: 194
    I'm a "guy in a tie" but I also own one, would you believe me?
  • Does anyone else have to constantly adjust the "automatic" temperature control in their Ridge? I have to keep adjusting it, apparently as the engine load changes? :confuse:
  • It holds a LOT! In the bed, in the trunk, and with the back seats folded up, or even under the back seats when down.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Neither of my Honda's auto temp control work as well as Ford or GM autos.

I find my Hondas are cold in the winter. Have to keep turning the heat up. On sunny days it is worse.
  • No problem with interior temperature control when on full auto and the 'Mode' selecter on 'windshield and floor' -- and that's on the highway at -28 deg. C.. You can actually operate the fan speed manually and the system will still modulate air supply temperature to attain the set-point temperature. If you open the side vent to clear the drivers door window you loose some control because the air just flows without modulating. We generally set it to 19 C and leave it.

No problem with summer cooling either.

Canada
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    If you override the 'mode' and fan speeds, I don't consider it operating in 'auto' mode.

I still say one of the few things Honda doesn't do 'better' is their auto temp control system.

I've never seen my Honda auto fan speed come on at what I consider a 'high speed' in an attempt to rapidly heat or cool the car. My Fords and GMs would do this, and then start slowing the speed as the temp inside closed in on the set temp.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    We never experienced this kind of trouble in our last Honda w/ Auto Climate Control. In the summer, we were all comfy with the a/c on 68, and in Winter, usually it was set at 72. Not much difference.

Also, the issue on sunny days: There is a sunlight sensor on the dash which tells the A.C.Ctrl that sun is shining on the car. It will increase Airflow in summer, and likely decrease heat-flow in winter. This is exasserbating your "cold car" issue.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Airbag deployment w/o crash

Another problem with the Ridgeline?
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,663
    is CR's top pick for pickups, so add one more award to the list. :)

Bob
    Just put it in the trunk.
  • galvanggalvang Posts: 156
    Yep, not bad for a first year truck. I have driven the RL now for about 10k and nothing negative has happened. It drives flawlessly. A couple of quarks though, one is during gas fill up, the pump will stop prematurely then I have to slowly put in the remainder of the gas into the tank slowly. Sometimes up to 3 gallons.

Other than that its been great. It drives well in the snow here in Tahoe. Very sure footed with the Michelin LTX tires. Like the back-up camera, sexy female voice activated NAVI and controls, plus the XM Sat. radio. Nice job Honda.
  • just put it in the trash with the others... CR is a joke when it comes to vehicle testing...

I don't know how they can predict (the vehicle) will have average or better reliability, based on our latest Annual Car Reliability Survey when the vehicle hasn't even been around long enough to be tested.

It's just the same with the new Civic... which doesn't seem to be average or better in reliability when all of the owner are complaining about an awful lugging in their engine.

Just stick with REAL reports from actual car and truck journalists. :lemon:
    "I don't know how they can predict (the vehicle) will have average or better reliability..."

I'm sure there are lots of things you don't know. But if you read their publication, you might find out.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I don't know how they can predict (the vehicle) will have average or better reliability, based on our latest Annual Car Reliability Survey when the vehicle hasn't even been around long enough to be tested.

It's just the same with the new Civic... which doesn't seem to be average or better in reliability when all of the owner are complaining about an awful lugging in their engine.

Come out of your glass house for a minute please...

I'm not sure how you think you could be more objective...

CR is more objective and scientific in their testing than any Car and Driver or Motor Trend writer could ever hope to be.

To answer your question of how they could predict reliability...

Could it be that it shares most of its basic mechanicals (transmission, 3.5L engine, part of it chassis) with the Pilot and Odyssey, both of which have been around a while.

As far as the Civic is concerned, I think you need to think before you speak. "All owner(s) are complaining of lugging..."

Really? I haven't seen 55,000 people complaining about that. Maybe a dozen on the Edmunds forum. You must realize that there are people that will never bother to give a report that "nothing is going as unexpected" but much more of those that will look for help if a problem is experienced.

Also, I'm not quite sure that the lug problem is a reliability issue, is it? Could you show me a post where the lugging has led to unreliable service or left someone stranded?

Don't bother hurrying up with a response. I'm headed to the Gulf for the weekend, and won't be back until Sunday night. Everyone else have a good one!

thegrad
  • jay_24jay_24 Posts: 536
    "Consumer Reports identified its top picks based on road and track tests, evaluations of comfort, convenience and fuel economy, crash-protection ratings from the government and insurance industry and readers' reliability rankings. "
    By Dee-Ann Durbin
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    03/01/2006

The owners did reliability rankings?!

Only one of all those rankings is truely a quantiative value. Fuel Economy. And thats only if you blindly look at the EPA number only.
    Crash-protection ratings (to a point) and some track tests (braking distance?) are fuzy.
    The rest are very subjective to the person doing the review or the owner.

I've bought items ranked highly by consumer reports only to have them fail misserably. Other things like my 91 GMC Jimmy performed way better than CR ever dreamed it could.

CR needs a big * - Results may vary.
  • It sounds like you read the same article I did, and have been drawing the same conclusions.. you cannot quantify many of their ratings.

Results may vary....

Better to stick with the car magazines with much more car expertise(multilple if you wish) and get more perspective than one all inclusive report and then follow blindly.
  • galvanggalvang Posts: 156
    Unfortunetly, the car magazines writers and thier opinions are being swayed, just like this website, by advertising dollars and other gifts and perks. Though the car magazines offer some intriguing info it doesn't include short term and long term reliability like CR.

I take the car mags with a "grain a salt". CR is probably the most important mag when consider in buying a car. Their data is good and analytical not biased as others I've seen.
  • 5553543255535432 Posts: 150
    Just stick with REAL reports from actual car and truck journalists.
    ---------------------------

Heck no, I wouldn't trust anyone 100% when it comes to influencing my car choice.I gladly bought a sizzling hot mazda RX8 over the CR recommended boring Accord.

ABSOLUTELY NO REAL REPORTS FROM ACTUAL CAR AND TRUCK JOURNALISTS IS WORTH LISTENING TOO WITHOUT A GRAIN OF SALT.WAIT MAKE THAT A BIG SACK OF SALT. :sick:

However I would trust CR maybe around 80% when it comes to rating cars for the following reasons:

1. It does not accept advertising money from any car maker.NOW SHOW ME A CAR MAGAZINE WHICH DOES NOT ACCEPT ADVERTISING MONEY AND MAYBE I WOULD TAKE THEIR ADVICE JUST LIKE CR'S.

2.CR evaluates cars based on the real world needs of most average Joes.

3. CR's test results are almost identical to that of Car and Driver and Motortrend.

Lets not forget it's not just CR which highly regards the Honda Ridgeline, for starters check this out and put your doubts to rest.

1-Motor Trend truck of the year 2006

2-Detroit News truck of the year 2006

3-Consumer Reports top rated truck

4-JD Power & Associates 2005 APEAL award for the Honda Ridgeline

5-Autobytel 2006 Editors' Choice Award: Truck of the year 2006

6-Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC) Best New Pickup 2006

7-On Wheels Incorporated: Ridgeline 2006 Urban Wheel Award for the Urban Truck of the Year

8-best rollover resistance rating of any pickup tested by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    9-first-ever 4-door pickup to earn a 5-star safety rating for both front and side impact crash test performance from the U.S. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).

10-Car And Driver Rates Honda Ridgeline #1 Pickup.

11- AutoWeek Editors' Choice Award as the 'Most Significant' new vehicle in the show

Seems to me CR is on the same page with all the award giving bodies when it comes to evaluation results of the Ridgeline.Even the Highly regarded MOTORTREND is also in agreement with CR on which car should be the MT car of the year, the Civic.

THEREFORE EVEN IF I DON'T TAKE CR'S REPORTS AS GOSPEL, TO ME IT STILL GIVES OUT THE LEAST UNBIASED EVALUATION WHEN IT COMES TO CARS.ALL THE OTHERS AS LONG AS THEY ACCEPT ADVERTISEMENT DOLLARS ARE A FAR FAR SECOND AND THIRDS. :shades:
  • 5553543255535432 Posts: 150

------------
    The above claim is a sweeping statement, that needs to be substantiated by a link or an official Honda recall.Otherwise the integrity of the person making the generalized statement by using the word all, becomes suspect and ends up totally unreliable.

I could be wrong but has anyone encountered a link showing all new CIvic owners complaining about lugging (whatever that is? :sick:
  • I live in Central Pa where it really does get very cold at times. I find the Auto setting on my Ridgeline works perfectly. I did discover that if you cut the air flow on outer dash vents back to about 60%, the system reaches the set temperature very quickly and holds it perfectly no matter what speed you are going. Setting the vents that way also puts more heat on your feet so they also stay comfortable. I just set it and forget it. I have had my black ridgeline since April 05 and the HVAC works great in the summer heat as well. The key very well may be in the adjustment to those dash vents. :)
    I will also add that my Ridgeline has been trouble free, other that one simple loose connector on an interior light that took two minutes to fix, for the entire 8,500 miles that I have had it. I couldn't be happier. It's a great vehicle!
  • maple2maple2 Posts: 177
    I will also add that my Ridgeline has been trouble free, other that one simple loose connector on an interior light that took two minutes to fix, for the entire 8,500 miles that I have had it. I couldn't be happier. It's a great vehicle!

wow 8500 miles almost trouble free it must truly be a great mini van with a box!!
  • bitusabitusa Posts: 60
    I understand that the spare tire is located in the lockable "trunk" in the bed of the truck. If this is true, what happens if you have, let's say a bed full of mulch and you get a flat tire? How do you get to the spare?
    Haven't seen anything about "lugging". Consumer Guide did say that its testers thought the 140 hp engine was noisy and acceleration at highway speeds required "foot to the floor" driving for passing and lane changes.
  • gugimanngugimann Posts: 11
    this truck is great, ive had it for about 5 months now and ive got about 6500 miles on it, it drives great and the only reason that i had brought it back to the dealer was a paint chip and thats it, ive driven it in snow and its the best thing ever, never even slipped a bit,
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Honda sells an accessory bracket to mount the spare on the inside of the bed i/o the trunk for those so inclined to do so.

If you have the bed fully loaded and the spare is in the "trunk", the bed must be unloaded to access the spare.
    Thanks.

Many journalists have touted this "trunk" as an innovative feature and asked why no one else had thought of it before Honda. I guess what happened was, it had been thought of and every one decided it was not a very customer-friendly feature. I do not believe we will see Ford, GM and Dodge rushing to their respective drawing boards to include this feature on their trucks.
    LOL. Not exactly. But they have rushed to include under the bed storage.

And the unexpected features don't stop there. Rampage delivers exceptional cargo carrying capacity above and below the dual-bed floor. Acting as a second tailgate, the rear bumper fascia also drops down to reveal an enclosed storage space extending (with the seats up) far enough forward to provide room enough to accommodate a stack of 4'x8' plywood sheets.

"This is 'clean storage,'" says Krugger, "something most pickups today don't have."

Notice the word "most" in that last statement.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 487
    We have been over this so many times on this Forum...

Ok, lets use your example. You have a pickup loaded up with 1,000 lbs of mulch, gravel, sand, etc. You get a flat. So you are telling me that you are going to trust a jack to lift a truck with a potentially shifting load. Then you are going to crawl underneath it to pull off the spare, all the while hoping that the truck with a flat tire will not come crashing down on your head? If I am in a loaded truck, I am going to offload cargo before lifting it, whether the tire is in the bed or below the truck.

Or more likely (as I do not ride around with a bed full of mulch, sand, gravel, etc. all that often) I get a flat on a muddy dirt road. Then I have to crawl underneath the truck to get the spare. Might be fine for someone who likes to play in the mud and does not fear head injuries (which seems to describe a lot of Ridgeline critics). Me, I'd rather get the spare out of the bed.