Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    please don't feed the trolls.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    That is false information. The Ridgeline is not under powered. Consumer Reports also states, "Better than adequate go, thanks in part to smooth, responsive transmission. Ridgeline on par with rival compact pickups with V6s - but behind Dodge Dakota with its available V8. V6 may also be taxed when asked to meet Ridgeline's 5000 IB towing capacity, or 1550 IB payload."

The suspension is not "poor." It is independent and absorbs bumps quite well, and handles like a car.

One thing people have to remember - THE RIDGELINE IS NOT A F-150 or F-250! It's design is for families who don't need the extra power, and ruggedness of the F series! For people who want a little extra ruggedness, and simply want a truck. But it's not for serious heavy duty off roading.

The quality of the Ridgeline is EXCELLENT. Consumers Reports, and edmunds says so too.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    It was a nice try.
    ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• eaglegeagleg Member Posts: 87
    You should spend more time driving your GT 500 or your Frontier or your Sequoia or your Volvo then quoting magazines!Glad to see you're bashing Ridgelines instead of Tacomas.Gotta love that Fronty!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have decided to hold on to their current pickup truck, rather than purchasing a new one. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, August 9, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what pickup truck you currently own.
  • ozcopozcop Member Posts: 2
    My spouse wants one of these things badly since she has had so much success with her Pilot...problem is, she wants me to sell my Duramax Diesel crew cab to buy one...My 04 Chevy Crew Cab constantly gets 24 to 24.5 mpg on trips between KY and TX. Even pulling a 24' enclosed trailer with a flat front, I can pull as much as 15mpg, and the Ridgeline wouldn't even pull that trailer...I recently bought an aluminum open car hauler, so she says we don't need the Duramax. I can't imagine the Ridgeline getting anywhere near 20 mpg pulling the aluminum trailer with a CRX aboard, but it would probably pull it...
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    Stand your ground; there's no reason to sell the Chevy, and at least one excellent reason (the towing ability which you DO use) to keep it.
    I think it would be silly to sell a diesel crewcab for the Ridge. Unless, of course, it would somehow save you money. But I don't see that here. Where do you live? Where I am, diesel is quite a bit cheaper than regular gas, so even if your truck and the ridge got comparable mileage, you'd save with the diesel.

How much does that open car hauler weigh? With the CRX on it, what's the total? 2 tons? Yeah, the Ridge would pull it ... but certainly not as easily as a diesel.

I like the Ridge, of course, but it sounds like you need what you are already driving.

• fmontanafmontana Member Posts: 3
    It looks like a slightly modified Ridgeline makes a great desert racing truck. "It’s the best-handling race car I’ve ever driven,” said Skilton

The perfect truck for the renegade soccer mom

:shades:
  • hulk500hulk500 Member Posts: 2
    i am a die hard honda owner and i bought my rigdeline and i have WATER LEAKS. RIGHT FRONT PASSENGER SIDE AND REAR WAS SOAKED TO THE BONE. I DINT KNOW IT UNITL I SMELT A MUSTY MOLD SCENT AND THATS HOW I FOUND IT .
  • hulk500hulk500 Member Posts: 2
    IT DOESNT LEAK FROM THE ROOF OR WINDOWS , YOU CANT SEE WATER COME IN BUT SURE AS YOU KNOW WHAT CHECK YOUR CARPETS AFTER IT RAINS
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Well know problem for the Ridgelines built in the first 6 months or so of production.

Take it back to the Honda dealer. They have TSB bulletins about what to do to correct the leaks. And, they should replace the carpet. Basically, there are bad welds. Along the panels at side of the windshield, down into the area behind front tire, and back behind the rear door where it turns into the bed of the truck.

If it still is under warranty.....
  • harleybobieharleybobie Member Posts: 2
    My Ridgeline was produced in October 2005, therefore,the first 6 months of production vehicles only being affected does not hold true in this case. It has been at the dealer 4 times for water leaking into the right passenger floor. The right a-pillar has been worked on 3 times (including the drilling) and the right plug repair was done on the 4th attempt in August. While I must say the Dealer and the Honda Representative were responsive, I still have my concerns for the future. All the electrical in that area was soaked for 8 months, when I discussed this with the Honda Representative he assured me no problems would occur in the future--no offer to extend the warranty for future electrical problems was made...HUM? All the carpet was replaced-the truck no longer smells bad. I feel lucky that my truck has none of the other service problems, too bad it had to have the leak...will update this in future if I have more problems regarding the leak.
  • mikenanniemikenannie Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I are considering purchasing a new RTX for the main purpose of towing our Ultralight 180FQ Fleetwood trailer (GVWR 3600 lbs). We are currently towing this trailer with a 2002 Highlander (V6) and use a weight distributing hitch. I know that our current setup is not a long term solution and want to upgrade, but I'm concerned that the RTX Ridgeline won't be enough truck. Most of our travel is here in Indiana - pretty flat.
    I'd appreciate any comments based on your experience.
    Thanks
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Go to ridgelineownersclub.com and post your question there. From my experience the ridgeline is no super tow mobile (6000 lbs etc) but is probably considerably more capable than what you have now.

This vehicle (much like the honda pilot) wholesales about $10000 off list the first year so you want about 5-6k off. (2200+ off invoice.)

--jjf
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    :sick: :sick: eaglegYou should spend more time driving your GT 500 or your Frontier or your Sequoia or your Volvo then quoting magazines!Glad to see you're bashing Ridgelines instead of Tacomas.Gotta love that Fronty! :confuse:

How did the :lemon: buyback on your Tacoma workout for you?
    Did you decide to buy a Ridgeline now?
    Go to ridgelineownersclub.com and post your question there.

Is that a better resource?
    Just tons of owners who discuss prices, performance, towing, trailers etc...

--jjf

Go to ridgelineownersclub.com and post your question there.

Is that a better resource?
  • m4mulveym4mulvey Member Posts: 11
    Just shows how different we all are - I like the Ridge's angularity and really don't like the rounded emphasis on other vehicles - In my opinion the Ridge is way better looking than the Avalanche.

A couple of times people have come up to me at gas stations and asked "Does that thing drive as good as it looks?" - So I'm definitely not alone in my taste.

If you want gimmicky add-ons, go buy a Nissan - they'e full of dummy bolts and stuff.

At first I wasn't too sure about the Ridge's headlights but now I've had it for 6 months, thry don't bother me a bit
    I guess I can agree that a Tacoma may be better looking than a Frontier, or vice versa--- or a silverado than a avalanche. Actually the Ridgeline looks like a smaller Avalanche. But after all these are trucks.

The one with the best sheet metal in my view is the Colorado, but it is not up to par on quality and price.

The Element can be judged weird or ugly looking or just a reincarnation of the chevy "woody" from the 40's that would look weird or ugly to some if driven around now. From styling, I like the square wheel openings of the Tacoma, Colorado(especially) and the Ridgeline. The rounded ones of the F series and Frontier don't do it for me.

I didn't think it was possible but Dodge did manage to make an ugly truck with the Durango. Oscar Meyer should buy a fleet of them, paint them pink and send them around the country as a promo.

Ridgeline has features that make it a 4 dr.l version of my old El-Camino. (which, like Clinton I have fond memories of ;) )
    --jjf

Just shows how different we all are - I like the Ridge's angularity and really don't like the rounded emphasis on other vehicles - In my opinion the Ridge is way better looking than the Avalanche.

A couple of times people have come up to me at gas stations and asked "Does that thing drive as good as it looks?" - So I'm definitely not alone in my taste.

If you want gimmicky add-ons, go buy a Nissan - they'e full of dummy bolts and stuff.

At first I wasn't too sure about the Ridge's headlights but now I've had it for 6 months, thry don't bother me a bit
  • bend4funbend4fun Member Posts: 2
    I have a newer Silverado and my wife dragged me into the Honda dealer the other day to drive one of these things. Same story, she has a 2004 Civic and thought I'd like the same features in a truck. NOPE! My silverado gets about 21 MPG driving to and from work (which is pretty close to the Honda), but I don't know how I would put up with with the ridicule from the guys I work with if I showed up in a 4 wheel drive Japanese El Camino!

I have heard stories about people buying the Honda Passport only to find that It's nothing more than an Isuzu with different decals.

I like my Chevy just fine. It has heated leather seats, a FRAME and I know if I needed to haul something or pull somebody out of the ditch I could do so without needing to have it aligned.

I applaud Honda for the effort, but Toyota already has the market for reliable, smooth riding pickups. If you're in the market for a truck to haul something with, buy a Chevrolet. If you're in the market for a smaller truck that will last till you just can't stand to look at it anymore, then get a Toyota. If you're looking for a disposable truck in either category, then go with Ford or Nissan.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a great car with tremendous fuel economy and the best resale value, then look at Honda. I think the Ridgeline will take a back seat to the V8 Tundra just like it's little brother, the T-100 did in '99.

Sorry Honda, it's just too little, too late.
  • bend4funbend4fun Member Posts: 2
    Oscar Meyer certainly could afford to buy a fleet of Durangos, but the tow bills would put them under!
    GM and Ford will continue to make 2 million full size trucks and financially struggle.

Honda will make 120000 of these weird Ridgelines and Elements and be too little too late all the way to the bank. They target their market and structure their manufacturing well.

Doing something F-150 or tundra-like would be suicide with the oversupply of these vehicles in this segment anyway.

--jjf

Sorry Honda, it's just too little, too late
  • footerfooter Member Posts: 32
    I used to own a Chevy Silverado (1997). I loved the truck but then I had twins 3 years later and since it was only an extended cab (first year with third door I believe), it was just not practical with TWO infants in car seats going in and out of a pick-up, even with the third door. So in 2000, we bought a Honda Odyssey. Best mini van on the market IMHO.

Fast forward to 2006 -- the twins are now 6 & 1/2, big enough to climb in/out of my Ridgleline by themselves and LIFE IS GOOD!

I'm only replying in question to your Silverado's gas mileage. Is it a V6? Mine was a V8 (the standard 350, nothing fancy) and I don't recall EVER getting more than about 18mpg and that was with a good tail wind. My Ridge gets 19-20mpg consistently. Close to 21mpg on some tanks if all freeway driving ... and it's barely broken in at 8500 miles!

To each his own ... I'm still happy going out to my garage every morning and seeing my JAPANESE Ridgeline (assembled in Canada with 75% US parts).

LOL!

;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I think it would be silly to sell a diesel crewcab for the Ridge. Unless, of course, it would somehow save you money. But I don't see that here. Where do you live? Where I am, diesel is quite a bit cheaper than regular gas

Here in Birmingham, Gasoline is $1.99, Diesel is $2.49. 25% difference.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Sorry Honda, it's just too little, too late

Tell that to the dealers, who in my area, have no problems selling each and every Ridgeline they have, and I believe that's without rebate checks in the glovebox.
  • scooter4scooter4 Member Posts: 6
    "I don't know how I would put up with with the ridicule from the guys I work with if I showed up in a 4 wheel drive Japanese El Camino!"

Yes, this is always one of the major factors I consider when purchasing a vehicle. It doesn't matter if it meets my needs or if it's a good value, but the number one most important criteria to me is what people will think of me as they see me driving around town.

It's a vehicle. An appliance. A tool to get a job done. I have never been able to understand why the peer pressure thing mattered so much to some people.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Japanese? It is more American than a lot of the big 3 pickups. It is designed and built in USA for us. Let people ridicule.

John
    This sounds more like an argument most suited to 1979 than 2007. Japanese are old news. In 7 years or so the Koreans may have a competitor for the F150 and Tundra. A few more years later the Chinese may be in too. Ford may well merge with Nissan etc... Oh brother....

--jjf

Japanese? It is more American than a lot of the big 3 pickups. It is designed and built in USA for us. Let people ridicule.

John
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Sorry if I have missed something, as I have not been closely following this board for the past six months or so. In any case, I think it was about a year ago Honda had a design exercise for an Off Road Ridgeline. I think it might have been for the SEMA show or something similar.

Has anyone heard about an off-road package for the Ridgeline? I could get by without a low range, but larger and more aggressive tires, and about a 2" to 3" lift along with some skidplates would be useful. All the other manufacturers (Japanese and American) seem to offer such packages on their trucks. Without it, I am not sure the Ridgeline would make the short list...
    I guess Honda could introduce anything eventually. I haven't heard of anything this year.

Since Honda only expects to sell 60-80000 of these things a year its pretty targeted to its market. If one looks at what 80-90% of the public needs and uses in a medium truck with a 5 ft bed Skid plates and optimization for heavy off road use is overkill. The other 10% may obviously look elsewhere.

Happy Hunting
    --jjf

Sorry if I have missed something, as I have not been closely following this board for the past six months or so. In any case, I think it was about a year ago Honda had a design exercise for an Off Road Ridgeline. I think it might have been for the SEMA show or something similar.

Has anyone heard about an off-road package for the Ridgeline? I could get by without a low range, but larger and more aggressive tires, and about a 2" to 3" lift along with some skidplates would be useful. All the other manufacturers (Japanese and American) seem to offer such packages on their trucks. Without it, I am not sure the Ridgeline would make the short list...
  • montztermontzter Member Posts: 72

John

AMEN!
  • rxinsdrxinsd Member Posts: 1
    Do "the guys" also dress and feed you? Grow up!
  • tacoridgetacoridge Member Posts: 17
    Two questions.
    Does anyone know if Honda ever got a fix for unlocking all doors when putting into park?

Using the direction on pg 82 to lock at 9 MPH just does not seem to work. The original manual instruction worked and then I changed setting. In the mean time Honda sent a new manual (because of the misprint ...1st question) and I am wondering if they got a misprint on these instructions.
    I'm not sure, because my 2006 was built after thay changed this, but I thought a Honda dealer would change this for you if you complained.

It involves more than just 're-flashing' the computer chip, I think there is actually a wiring change to a fuse box.
    Dealer said there was not a fix for all-door unlock.

They could not even program it to unlock at 9 mph, I had to show them how to de program out of locking going into park.

Anyway thanks for the reply.
    Correction:

Ment to say lock all doors at 9 mph.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter aims to talk with a Honda devotee who currently owns a Honda and previously owned a Honda. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than February 28, 2007 with your daytime contact information.
    Ug. Dealer lies.
  • andy_handy_h Member Posts: 49
    I thought you guys might like this. This got to be the best looking truck/car that I have ever seen!

http://www.geocities.com/auto_world_blog/
  • infinity38sinfinity38s Member Posts: 2
    guys,

ihave a question, i just bought a 07 ridgeline rtl last saturday ,uhhhh i love this truck except for 1 thing that i did not check b4 buying,, the tailgate , is there a way that i can put a lock on tailgate it seems to be that it is not lockable????

appreciate any help comment
    thanks
    ruel
    I guess the trunk is supposed to take care of any locking up of stuff. I assume you got the Tonneau cover and want to lock up the whole bed?

Try ridgelineownerclub.com and check out the forums for aftermarket accessories.

--jjf
  • what4what4 Member Posts: 1
    Attached are some pictures of my leaking LEER cap. It looks good from the outside on the passenger side (the driver side sticks about about 1.5" too far) but there are several things you should know before dropping $1800.

1. They leak.
    2. They are evidently hard to install. Took Anchor in Salem, VA almost 4 hours and they still couldn't get it on straight (they also accidentally drilled an extra set of holes and couldn't figure out how to adjust the tailgate glass).
    3. LEER has been unresponsive to any of the questions I have asked about how to adjust the cap.
    4. Huge blindspot on the sides, those big windows acutally cover about 3" of fiberglass so you're only left with a 3-4" strip of window when looking out from inside.

I probably would have bought the Pilot or a Tacoma had I known all this going in, it's just been a huge hassle.

My particular cap has a poor fit on the drivers side and the dealer (Anchor) says they can't fix b/c it's a LEER mold issue. However, it leaks from both sides and a little from the top near the brake light. Not a huge deal as my dogs are always sloppy/muddy but it's nice to know.

I've posted pictures at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=184960&posted=1#post1- 84960
    Honda T360

They don't make them like they used to!
  • jeffro413jeffro413 Member Posts: 2
    looking for some help here....i have an 07 RTL and i LOVE it! well its sunday and i can't find a service department open. so maybe you guys may be able to help.....ok, when i apply my brakes my left turn signal comes on (the arrow) and stays on then when i let off the brake its fine. so i hit my left signal and it flashes normal but all the brake lights come on and flash with it. its not flashing fast, no bulbs are burnt out. where do i start?

thanks in advance
  • jeffro413jeffro413 Member Posts: 2
    Has someone added a trailer harness to the truck? Especially one where they cut into all the wires in the rear to add it?

If so, all those connections, or the harness itself, is the first thing I would look at.
  • doctor_whodoctor_who Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find a solution to your signal light issues? I am having the exact same issue.

Thanks

Jason

deputydog@sasktel.net
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Look for a duel filament stop/turn signal bulb with the filaments shorted together internally or at the bulb base or socket.