Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "Since I drive an '03 Forester with the same engine and get 27 to 28 mpg, I know the Baja can do the same." - Once_for_all

There's a whole lot more to mpg than having the same engine. Weight, gearing, and aerodynamics will make a huge difference. Compare the Ridgeline with the Odyssey for example. Or the Element with the Accord.

"There are others that compare more directly. The Baja is not even close in size." - Gbrozen

Ditto. Comparisons with the Baja are like comparing a Civic with a Continental.

Half of the consumers out there don't know the difference between AWD and 4WD. Nor would they understand the difference between solid rear axle and IRS suspensions. People cross-shopped all the cross-over SUVs with standard, ladder frame SUVs when the cross-over trend started and they still do it today.

Not to mention that Baja's are so unloved, no one gives them a second thought. The Baja is a punch line, not a competitor. The closest competition at this point in time is the SportTrac. The CC versions of the Frontier, Tacoma, and Dakota play tier two.
    "...the area where teh bed meets the cab is not level making it odd, if not impossible to put a toolbox on..."

There's a trunk. Why spend extra cash on a toolbox? A toolbox is just going to take up space back there, anyway.

But as to the general point of your point, yes and no.

The Ridgeline is not a true work truck. However, it is a good truck for the Harry Homeowner crowd. And if Harry is going to buy a truck, I think he's better off with something like the Ridgeline than an F-150 or Titan. It'll handle 90% of the tasks other trucks are capable without giving up safety, comfort, and features. It's more than merely a real truck.

You can call that poseur if you like, but I'd call it smart.
  • tylermadetylermade Member Posts: 11
    I've had my truck since February 28th and have a little over 1000 miles. I've gotten: 18.87 mpg, 16.81 mpg (more city driving), and 18.13 mpg. I'll be taking a several-hundred-mile trip tomorrow and I'll report how the mileage does.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    How are you computing your mileage? Total miles divided by gallons pumped or by an onboard computer?
  • tylermadetylermade Member Posts: 11
    Total miles divided by gallons pumped.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Varmint-- EPA highway for the Baja is 27 MT and 28 AT. Posters in the Baja forum have reported up to 30 mpg.

You didn't mention that driving habits are critical for mpg. Since I get 27 or 28 in my Forester, I should get the same in the Baja.

Well, if consumers don't know the difference between AWD and 4WD, and IRS and solid axles, then they probably don't care about handling and performance either. I am always amazed at how some people love the way Toyota Siennas and Towncars drive. It just doesn't do it for me. The crispness of our MPV and Forester are a joy. BTW, the Ody (in 2002) was a nice driving experience too.

I agree to disagree--the Ridge's major contribution to trucking is the IRS, AWD, and the handling and safety features that go along with that. No one else (except Subaru) has attempted this radical and logical design progression. But, more are to follow, IMO.

John
    this just in VW intending to come out with a "robust" pickup based on the Toureg.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101992

It would be great if they roll it out with the turbo diesel.

John
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    we'll see, but if its priced like its SUV counterpart, it will be too expensive to compete with the Ridgeline.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    And knowing VW's history, it'll be available in Europe in 2012 and then in the US in 2014. Oh and it'll be priced like a BMW 7 series but it'll have a nice interior.
    "EPA highway for the Baja is 27 MT and 28 AT."

And that would be about 9.6% lower than the Outback which it is based on. That is about the same difference between a Pilot and Ridgeline.

I'm not going to get into what you think you should get from a vehicle.

"I agree to disagree--the Ridge's major contribution to trucking is the IRS, AWD, and the handling and safety features that go along with that."

Oh, no. Don't get me wrong. We agree on that part. (Though I would add the unibody-on-frame, as well.) I just don't see that having hardware in common makes them direct competition. My CR-V has double-wishbone suspension. Trust me, that doesn't make it competition for an Integra Type R.

Market segments are not defined by what separates vehicles. They are defined by what the vehicles have in common. And The Ridgeline has a lot more in common with the trucks I listed above than it does with the Baja.
    9.6% lower?? Outback is 28 AT and MT, about the same as Baja.

Subaru's EPA ratings tend to be conservative, except for the Turbos. The smile factor tends to mash the pedal to the floor from what I hear. I haven't driven one yet for fear that I will need to smile a lot more.

John
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    We're always open to discussing new vehicles at the chats! So stop by tonight and talk about the Ridgeline with us!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles Message Boards

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • tnfarmtnfarm Member Posts: 1
    Picked up my new Ridgeline Friday March 18th. The first tank was 17.25 MPG. Averaged 21.10 MPG on a 400 mile round trip to Nashville @ 75 MPH. I am very pleased with the truck and the MPG looks to be very good overall. I would recommend the truck to anyone looking for an excellent multi purpose vehicle.
    You're ignoring the city cycle.
    that is good news. If we hear more of this, I may be back in looking at it again. Especially if we see $2000 legit dollars off the MSRP.

John
    allright just to humor you:

Outback AT 22/28
    Baja AT 21/28.

I still don't see 9.6% for the auto.

Outback MT 23/28
    Baja MT 21/27.

Maybe you did your math on the Baja MT?

If so what do you figure the average is for the Outback, and the average for the Baja?

Regardless of what the EPA says, don't believe the numbers saying the MTs are less than the ATs for Subaru.

Ridgeline content: I would love to see an MT model.

John
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    My third half tank is 17.3 mpg. the Highway is kind of mountainous with some long grades. I'm also not using cruise during the break in period. 600 miles on it so far.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Let's not get too far off the beaten path with Subaru notes... plenty of Subie discussionbs here at Edmunds for those :)

kcram - Pickups Host
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    hi varm,
    been through this before on this discussion in general. 'harry' goes to the home improvement store, buys 500 lbs of cargo, or it snows. gets a flat tire. what happens next?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Harry can mount the tire in the side of the bed if he's that paranoid about getting a flat.
  • blue5blue5 Member Posts: 5
    I thought the tax write off for truck over 6000LB GVWR is 100%. For SUV over 6000LB GVWR is $25,000 and 15% over $25k for the first year.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    'harry' goes to the home improvement store, buys 500 lbs of cargo, or it snows. gets a flat tire. what happens next?

What if there's snow or slush on the ground. Would Harry prefer to offload/rearrange his cargo to pull the spare out of the "trunk" or would he prefer to slide underneath and mess around with a frozen retainer system while getting snow up the back of his jacket?

I'll take the former.

Besides, I have not had a flat on the road in years.

Also, when you add a half ton of cargo in a truck will the little jack still work anyway?
  • lowcruzrlowcruzr Member Posts: 8
    I agree. I had to change a flat in my Chevy Blazer during winter. I literally had to chisel (while on hands and knees, in slush) the ice and slush away before the tire would drop down from underneath. Never been that dirty or cold from changing a tire.

I'll take the chance that I never have a flat with a bed full of cargo over a tire covered in ice all winter long.
  • nwdrivernwdriver Member Posts: 5
    I do not think there is a difference between a truck vs. SUV at this little size (maybe 100% up to $100K if it is very large commercial grade equipment).

For some time period they increased the deduction to 100% up to $100K for all over 6,000lbs. but the IRS lowered it back to $25K in I think October 2004. However, through 12/31/04, you could take $25K plus depreciation plus bonus depreciation. The bonus depreciation is not available in 2005.

But hey, after you take the $25K and the regular depreciation on the balance, you deducting most of it.

I just love the fact Honda has made this over the 6,000lb. floor. I wish Honda would put a 6,000lb. GVW for the Pilot.

BTW, seems like GVW is set by the car maker based on who knows what standards, it makes sense to hit the 6,000lb. limit if possible--I know it directly affects which vehicle is purchase. I wanted the Pilot, but it does not qualify--so I was looking at the Ford 150. but this Ridgeline looks very interesting.

I want a vehicle for the family and the occasional trip to Home depot or the dump. I do not need to haul a big boat or anything. Plus love all of the safety items and Honda reliability.

nw driver
    "Maybe you did your math on the Baja MT?" - Once

I used both.

Gearhead1 - Thanks for reporting in with your mileage (along with everyone else who has done so).

"'Harry' goes to the home improvement store, buys 500 lbs of cargo, or it snows. gets a flat tire. what happens next?" - Explorerx4

As mentioned above, Harry mounts the spare in the bed. Besides, if Harry was able to load the stuff into the truck at the hardware store, he should be able to unload some of it to get at the tire. You don't have to clean off the entire floor.

Regardless, we can play the "what if" game with any design.

"What if" a guy installs a job box then needs to fit something large in the bed?

"What if" an under-mount tire becomes frozen while dressed in your Sunday best or your interview suit?

"What if" your under-mounted spare is punctured while taking a rocky trail?

"What if" you get into a head-on collision while you have a pile of rocks in the bed? The competition allowed the load to crash into the cabin like an ex at your wedding. The Ridgeline passed that test.

I agree that the Ridgeline is not a perfect design. Features like the spare location have some advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I'm not a fan of the odd styling. But only a troll would continuously point out the same negatives over and over without ever respecting the positives.
  • roger1969roger1969 Member Posts: 3
    When you have a flat, just call AAA and have them deal with it.

"'Harry' goes to the home improvement store, buys 500 lbs of cargo, or it snows. gets a flat tire. what happens next?" - Explorerx4

As mentioned above, Harry mounts the spare in the bed. Besides, if Harry was able to load the stuff into the truck at the hardware store, he should be able to unload some of it to get at the tire. You don't have to clean off the entire floor.
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    I read the Midsize Truck Comparison Test, and found it very well written. For once, I actually agreed with the way the trucks finished. However, I was surprised to see the Ridgeline was not included. Does anyone know if the Ridgeline is a fullsize truck or a midsize truck? From what I've read, the engine and towing capacity are more on line with midsize trucks.
  • jerseybubbajerseybubba Member Posts: 8
    and I pick it up on Mon. I gotta say this truck is the coolest thing since sliced bread. As a bit of comparison I drove my family around in a Denali XL all this weekend (My Moms), and this truck-UV drives and behaves much better. None of that shimmy that the big Denali has that all body on frame designs seem to have.

And as far as the tire debate goes, I've had more spares burried under crap in a trunk of a car than I care to discuss. Flats always happen at the worst time. It usually takes 10 minutes to uncover the spare, and another 20 minutes to break the rim of the studs cause some grease monkey has air-hammered them on. Flats suck no matter what. In NJ they can suck even more, becaues you can't call AAA on the Parkway or Turnpike.

I will move the spare when I have a big load, just to be safe, but thats because I've always seem to get flats when the spare is covered.
  • lowcruzrlowcruzr Member Posts: 8
    Anyone else have Ridgeline mileage they would like to report? Preferably the miles divided by gallons variety. Not "I get 300 to a tank". ;^)

Thanks.
    the Ridge wasn't available when they did their comparison. Otherwise (IMO) it would have stacked up very well against this group.

John
  • mrwamrwa Member Posts: 3
    In three weeks of hwy/city driving (80/20), I've driven 2250 miles and I'm averaging 20.7 mpg.
    "In three weeks of hwy/city driving (80/20), I've driven 2250 miles and I'm averaging 20.7 mpg"

What mpg were you getting in the beginning??
  • scooter4scooter4 Member Posts: 6
    I haven't yet seen an RT on any lots in my area (upstate NY). Are these shipping yet?
  • jlovingjloving Member Posts: 1
    How about mileage @ 55mph and 65 mph?
  • colonelpaniccolonelpanic Member Posts: 10
    Hey all. New to the discussion here. Would have posted sooner but it took so long to get through all the previous posts. This forum is quite prolific.

Anyway, I currently drive a '97 Nissan KK Pick-up but, I am looking to purchase a new truck in November when my 2nd child is due. I need enough room in the back for 2 car seats (and all the miscellaneous stuff you need when you travel with kids) and a dog. So far I've test driven a Dakota Larime, Frontier CC LE, Tundra (the top of the line model), Titan CC & KK, and the Ridgeline RTL-all were '05 or '06 model year.

Ultimately, the Titan and the Tundra were both just too much truck for what I need-a daily driver and the occasional Home Depot run. Besides I am not really sure either would fit in my garage. The Titan was a very aggressive, sporty ride while the Tundra was very smooth and refined. If I had to chose between the two I would probably pick the Tundra-by a hair.

So I decided the midsize trucks were a better fit. The Dakota, even with it's V8 felt sluggish and sloppy compared to the Frontier. And the interior, while roomy, was unimpressive. I really liked the styling of the Frontier and the interior room was adequate. The bed rails and liner are fantastic and the engine is very nice.

I had almost written the Ridgeline off because I just couldn't get past how ugly exterior looked in the pictures I saw online. But as my whole family owns Hondas, my brother is a Honda mechanic, and my wife drives a CRV I thought I should at least take it for a test drive.

In person the Ridgeline isn't really that bad. Still not what I would call attractive but I suppose I could get used to it. I was very impressed with the trunk, the tailgate, and the power rear window. My parents station wagon from the '70s had a rear door that opened down and sideways. Why it took so long to make its way into a pick-up I'll never understand.

The interior, while very functional (lots of storage compartments), just felt odd to me. The big ring around the odometer, the door handles, the placement of the gear indicator, the round LCD readout for the climate controls, odd. And what wasn't odd was just plain vanilla. I thought the same thing when I first sat in the CRV too . . . so I could probably live with the interior as well.

For me the Ridgeline's ride split the difference between the agressive Titan and the smooth Tundra. The ridgeline drove like a typical Honda, carlike, but not what I would call fun.

Right now the Rideline and the Frontier are on the top of my list. I like the styling of the Frontier but I see how useful the trunk and the tailgate of the Ridgeline would be when doing the every day things like grocery shopping, etc.

I already knew what the Frontier would run me so after the test drive I started reading this forum and how the Ridgeline was selling $1500 over MSRP. I think I could probably get the Frontier CC LE with all the options I could want for the price of the Ridgeline RT. That makes my decision very easy. If the Ridgline starts selling closer to invoice by November I may have a tough choice to make.

On a side note, my brother says his dealership (as of Easter Sunday) had sold just one Ridgeline.
  • whaleyawhaleya Member Posts: 28
    Two factors to consider, if you are in snow country having a full time 4WD system is the way to go. I hate having to switch in and out of 4wd depending on if I am on a side street or a larger street. The Ridgeline has a very advanced 4wd system - great for roads, not so good for hard core rockcrawling.

The other factor is although the Ridgeline is midsized in length it is very wide. Just something to consider.

- posted by a happy Ridgeline owner
  • blue5blue5 Member Posts: 5
    Are you serious? Only one per month per dealer?

That is not good. I have driven my Ridgeline for 1200 mile and one month now. I love the way it drives and all the safety features.
  • jdavis12jdavis12 Member Posts: 19
    I am impressed with the Ridgeline but noted the bed has apparent limitations as far as being able to enclose or cover. Any word on OEM or aftermarket options to cover?
    the Ridgeline brochure shows a nice looking OEM tonneau cover on an RTL.

John
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yep, it's a hard bed cover that's supposed to lock too.

Bob
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    I have a Fronty LE CC. I love this truck, but I am sure I would have been fine with the Ridgeline. I was concerned about a new model, not redesigned. I had the intake problems on my fronty. Got it fixed at the first oil change (along with the fan blower), otherwise this truck is outstanding. I am at 5000 miles and mpg seems to be going up, I am just over 17 mpg of 70/30 driving (I also drive kind of fast). I think the ridgeline is a great idea (awd/truck bed/rear tail gate), but I would wait a few months (if you can) to see if many problems pop up on the discussion boards about the Ridgeline. Example is the new Taco is full of problems and I am very glad I didn't buy one.
  • ridgelinerridgeliner Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my new Steel Blue Metalic RTL (sans the moon roof and navi) on Saturday, March 19. I just filled the tank, for the first time (ouch!) after doing 300 miles of Highway/City driving (50/50), I got 16 MPG.

I had money down on this unit in December and told the dealer when it can finally be ordered and comes in, that I wanted the hard bed cover, tow package and fog lights. He delivered, said I got the only hard cover they have seen and for some reason, they are hard to get.

The cover is nice, good quality, locks, keeps rain out, but lets a little water in during a wash. I like it, but a major drawback is it only folds in half and the whole thing isnt made to detach for times when you might need to load something large in the bed. It slightly interfears with the in-bed trunk lid in that it now can not be opened all of the way. It still opens far enough, but somebody's slide rule was wrong Honda engineers...shame on you for the oops. That is kind of a bummer...esp since the cover cost me $1300. If you can wait...hold out and look for a better 3rd party solution within the next year.

Otherwise, I love this truck. My first experience with Honda was our 2003 Pilot (that we still have). That thing sold me on Honda and I traded my 2002 325i in on the Ridgeline...and I'm not looking back.
    Blue5, he said only one was sold but one was on order. His take on the sluggish sales fidures was that men are interested in the vehicle but then their wives, seeing how ugly (your personal preference may vary, of course) it is, talk them out of it.

My take on it is that Honda can sell the Pilot at a premium because it appeals to the buyers who want more (and are willing to pay for) more than a CRV can provide. It compares nicely with other larger, higher prices SUVs. The CRV gives the buyer a less expensive Honda alternative. The CRV also competes well with other smaller SUVs.

Honda said the Ridgeline's competition are the midsize pick-ups (ala, Frontier, Takoma, Dakota) but it is pricing it as a full size. This is a big mistake because Honda doesn't have that less expenisve alternative to win over those on a budget.

Now Honda has the most expensive truck in the midsize, budget concious market. I just think people (like me) are comparing sticker prices and deciding they can live withouit the trunk and the 2-way gate. Too bad.
    Centralcal, glad to hear you are still happy with your choice. As I mentioned earlier, I do not need a new truck until sometime in November so I will be watching the midsize truck market intently until then.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    If you can wait...hold out and look for a better 3rd party solution within the next year.

IMO, there isn't one OEM hard bed cover that's perfect, or even near perfect. They all work great when you need the bed cover, but what about the times you don't want it? They are all a pain in the tail when that issue comes up.

What I want to see is Honda, Toyota, Ford, et al, design a roll-top retractable hard locking bed cover—that is designed and engineered specifically for their respective trucks.

The only company that offers this option (as far as I know), is Pace-Edwards. See link below:

http://www.pace-edwards.com/rolltop.asp

The problem with this unit is that's it's a 3rd party generic unit, so it's not "integrated" into the body. Also, there's no Ridgeline unit yet.

The first OEM to offer a purpose-built "factory unit" will strike it rich.

Bob
  • hmswartzhmswartz Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experience yet towing with a weight distributing hitch? I've got a small Airstream (4500lb/500lb tongue/single axle) that I've towed using a Blue Ox BX2004 weight distributing hitch, and I intend to use it with the Ridgeline I bought this week, having the dealer-installed Honda-brand 5000lb hitch receiver.

I notice that the Ridgeline owner's manual states- and I'm paraphrasing liberally here- '... use of a weight distributing hitch is not recommended...' and mentioned the possibility of improper hitch setup.

Assuming that the WD hitch is properly installed, setup and used, does anyone know of what issues would arise with the Ridgeline and a WD hitch?

Would there be an issue with the VTM-4 or the stability control? If so, what are they and in what conditions?

Any experienced comments would be helpful. I'm planning on test-towing this weekend.

mswartz
  • 5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    Hi,

Am not sure its wise to test tow this vehicle before the break in phase is completed. Check the 1800 no in www.honda.com, if your manual aint clear about it.

Anyone else care to suggest for or against the test towing hmswartz is gonna be condfucting this this weekend.
    Just to remphasize: DON'T TOW ANYTHING BEFORE THE TRUCK IS BROKEN IN.
  • ridgeowner3ridgeowner3 Member Posts: 27
    Hello Colonel!

I've had the Ridge since 3/2 and love everything about it! (See my post #132 comparing to 05 Toy Taco Doublecab). I replaced my '98 Civic HX (36mpg) and old '88 Chevy Silverado (13mpg) with one vehicle.

You sound a lot like me as far as use of a truck, except I don't have the kids, but as far as rear seat capacity, we had 3 FULL SIZE adults in the back seat and my wife said there was lots of room and no "scrunching", 1 inch less leg room than the Tundra Doublecab.

I also considered the Tundra (and Tacoma). #1, it's 2 ft longer and wouldn't fit in my garage, like the Ridge does (with walking room around it.) The added safety features, trunk, 4W indy suspension, etc, etc, are all very attractive also. The gas mileage has gotten up to 18.6 after 500 miles, on third fill up. (16.6 first 150m, then over 18. Now have 900miles and seems to be settling around 18.)

Anyway, I could go on and on about the ride (better than my wife's Camry) and all the rest. It actually IS fun to drive, whips around the turns on the highway. So comfortable it feels like you're in your own world. The stereo's nice, w/subwoofer, sounds great. No upgrades needed to anything (base RTS model) except $50 mud guards on back to complete the look. The style is great, everybody loves it, just not the standard truck look, but still looks and is bigger than other midsizes.

Anyway, if you need more specifics, just ask. I paid MSRP on 3/2. Have a relative at a Honda dealer (out of town) that would've given $200 off MSRP, but that's it (in CA) and didn't have the color I wanted. Their dealer got 4 in and 2 were already sold prior. Could've waited, but already waited months for the thing to come out and couldn't sleep with anxiety, so saved my health and started enjoying life at 40!

BTW, we're taking it on a 2,000 mile trip to southern Utah/Zion, Grand Canyon area in June, so will have more info then.

Good luck! (Hopefully the price will go down and not up! I think you can count on gas prices to dictate that, though.)