Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• buzz1959buzz1959 Member Posts: 1
    I had to pay a dealer to adjust my headlights. I'm sorry, but that insulted my intelligence. I would like to do this myself, as their adjustment is not correct. Help! Anyone?
  • jeffbondjeffbond Member Posts: 16
    I was going to buy but the dealer didn't take me up on my offer that was fair IMO.
    But my largest concern was the brakes, yes they are needed from time to time, I have a 99 GMC 4x4 with 98000 on the original brakes and the titan cannot go 5000 on 1 set? That bothered me alot. My friend has a 04 titan and two months ago when i was looking at them seriously he said he never heard of the problem when asked, now he has 8000 and his appointment is for tuesday morning for...yes you guessed it...new brakes.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    But my largest concern was the brakes, yes they are needed from time to time, I have a 99 GMC 4x4 with 98000 on the original brakes and the titan cannot go 5000 on 1 set? That bothered me alot. My friend has a 04 titan and two months ago when i was looking at them seriously he said he never heard of the problem when asked, now he has 8000 and his appointment is for tuesday morning for...yes you guessed it...new brakes.

As I've said before, not all of the Titans have problems with the brakes. My 04 LE CC 4x4 has just shy of 11k on it with no brake problems. We pull a 6,000 lb travel trailer with it and the brakes have been fine.
  • tritonmantritonman Member Posts: 1
    Friend said he talked to his "trusted" mechanic about buying a new Titan. The mechanic told him to stay away from it because Nissan refuses to give out specs on parts and therefore there are few aftermarket sources. As a consequence parts are extremely expensive and difficult to get. Is this true?
  • johnsuedudleyjohnsuedudley Member Posts: 1
    Had my brakes replaced at 4800 miles, 6100 miles and again needed them replace at 7000 miles. Received an email from Nissan Customer Service with very strong wording that this is not a safety issue. Even though I have not been a jerk, Nissan Customer Service will not call back, the dealership manager they asked me to speak to will not call back. Just printed Lemon signs and will be camped out in front of the Nissan Offices in Gardena starting Monday June 6th. Does anyone know if there are any illegal about my lemon sign?

I am absolutely petrified about driving this truck at 70 MPH down the Southern California freeways.....
  • goliatingoliatin Member Posts: 2
    I own an 04 Titan....had to have a brake job done at 6,000 miles AND at 12,000....AND now with only 15,000, I am about to return to dealer again with serious judder!! So far, Bankston Nissan, Dallas, has made repairs at no charge...but they continue to "repair" them with the same substandard parts/service! This time the rotors are at minimum thickness and will have to be replaced. I too, have experienced the total brake-to-floorboard reaction under hard braking...but DID stop correctly. I actually thought this was a planned function of the ABS.(?)
  • robertg2robertg2 Member Posts: 2
    regarding titan brake problems. If the company doesn't fix it for us buyers, word will be out soon and no-one will want to buy them off us when it comes time to sell them. Are they fixing the problems with the off lease vehicles? I guess this one will have to result in a few fatalities before it gets a recall instead of a bulletin.
    I love my titan now but that can change!
  • baseballfanzbaseballfanz Member Posts: 3
    Just got my Titan last week, wonder if the brake problems have been fixed on newer trucks? I will have to wait and see when my truck get a little more milages on it. One week old and already they have to replace one on my door handle.
  • amandcloamandclo Member Posts: 1
    I have had multiple brake problems with my Armada; such as the shuddering, and two complete brake job in 13,000miles. The other day I went to stop and the brake light went one and the pedal went straight to the floor. Then I pumped it everything shuttered it sounded likes things were exploding in my tires, then it was mysteriously gone. I took it to the dealer, they were unable to replicate the problem and made me feel that it was all in my head. A few angry phone calls later, and now they are investigating.
  • labradorlabrador Member Posts: 11
    My Brakes were fixed and the kit was installed. The rotors were not turned. Now they appear fine. Have not had the pedal to the floor just yet but I did have this very problem with a 2000 GM vehicle. GM responded by ignoring. Problem finally got resolved but only after the brake booster was replaced. Scary thought.
    I have had some success with Nissan but far more dissapointments.
    Recent noise in the dash was responded to by the dealer advising that all Nissans have this noise. After persisting the vehicle is scheduled for a further assessment next week.
    Anybody have a problem with a slipping (appears to be transmission) upon quick acceleration ?
  • 7forever17forever1 Member Posts: 11
    Just wanted to let you all know that the brake kit the dealers are using to fix the 04's and 05's is going to fail a few months down the road. I had my 04 Titan outfitted with the latest and greatest solution to the brake glitch in March and it's now June and I'm going to have to take it back in again! I certainly hope the powers that be at Nissan are reading these post, cause there are a lot of unhappy customers.
    I don't what else to do, other than take it in every 3-4 months for repairs.
  • 777titan777titan Member Posts: 2
    Mine also does it at start-up. sounds like lifters but I dont believe it has them being a overhead cam. could be the fuel injection.
  • 777titan777titan Member Posts: 2
    Mine is in the shop today I thought I could hold out until the right parts came in but it is hard to make my 500 payment with the wheel shaking every time I stop.
    Any one have the fix for the Rattle in the dashboard only does it sometimes.
    I was wondering if it had something to do with the airbag assembly?
  • allstarsallstars Member Posts: 3
    :mad: Have been wondering about the armada and braking. I've bben told its because the Titans are so heavy. I don't recommend any Nissan vehicle to anyone. Haven't heard any good reviews.
  • robertg2robertg2 Member Posts: 2
    I don't hear about hummers, ford 250's or 350's, rams or 2500 chevey's having this problem. Like I said before , never be able to sell them! :cry:
    Hey mine is fixed for the 2nd time. I argued and gave my opinion to the service mgr on 6/15, on 6/16 I got a phone call the parts were in and now the Titan drives like new.( They thought they'd get rid of me, only until the 3rd time. I've got a feeling the problem will be back) Hey problem solved for another 2000 miles. Haven't heard anything on the other models. Brkae dust is a heavy issue for the Titan. Sooner of later they'll design the perfect truck.
    Hate to discourage anyone from a heavy duty good looking truck, but the braking issue is bad and in high demand. The other night coming to a hard curve I braked and the truck lost traction I had to tap the brakes to get control. Now the brakes & rotors have been replaced as of yesterday & on a months waiting list. Now the 2005 trucks do have items that the 2004 don't have. 2004 have a HEAVY tailgate, improvement on 2005 was hydralic tailgate nice but I see problems for the future on that. The space is still there. Maybe you should wait about 6 months and maybe the corks will be worked out. I've thought to myself what if I'd bought the Frontier? Haven't heard anything bad on them.
  • pithhelmetpithhelmet Member Posts: 4
    :):)

I got the "fix" to the brake judder wednesday afternoon -

and i have to say "WOW" they rock!

no more judder, no more smooshy brakes.

Solid, Nissan braking, no fade, nothing.

FANTASTIC!

THANK YOU NISSAN!
    :confuse: What is the DVC, and how does it effect the engine stalling?
    Please advise.

Thank you!!
  • djmomahadjmomaha Member Posts: 1
    I had my rotors turned at 15,000 miles, again 2000 miles later and then learned that the new rotors were coming out. Got my dealer to put them on yesterday. He replaced the front rotors with new style and new pads, turned the rear rotors and put new pads on. Will see how long this lasts. Not too sure of hi speed driving when you have to fight the wheel for control.
  • robert26robert26 Member Posts: 10
    does anyone have any ideas on improving gas mileage?

i've heard some talk of increasing air intake but that this may damage the throttle?

any other idea?

bob
  • blizzblizz Member Posts: 1
    Got new updated rotors 4,000 miles ago. finally they are fixed! NO SHUTTER, Also got new updated pads.NO MORE BRAKE DUST. Gettin 14mpg around town. Thikin on gettin me a frontier.love the truck!!! Can't afford the gas
  • mistermediamistermedia Member Posts: 1
    The brake issue is scary, hadn't heard much on it until I found this site. I took my Titan in for it and unfortunately didn't get it fixed but I found out what it is. I guess I got a sympathetic service manager to talk to, he told me that there have been no less than seven bulletins on the brakes so far, the latest fix is to replace the entire braking system with a heavy duty version, I am waiting on my kit to come in and then we will see.
  • warrantwarrant Member Posts: 6
    I have a very disturbing "thunk" that I thought was coming from front driver's side wheel or suspension, when going over washboard road surfaces. Now I notice that it is not heard when I hold the driver's side door open! The door appears to shake in my hand when driving with it open, to the same rythmn that I would expect of the "thunk" noise.

Has anybody experienced a disturbing noise having to do with poorly hung doors?
  • amk2400amk2400 Member Posts: 1
    :mad:

I am weary upset with Nissan Corporation, I love my 2005 Titan but the breaks ware repaired at 3000 miles I thought that was a fluke, and now at 4800 miles they have the same problem the front wheels are shaking every time I apply the breaks. I will have to bring it back to the dealer, only to learn that that every Titan owner has the same problem HOW COULD THIS BE POSIBLE DOSENT NISSAN CARE ABOUT THERE REPUTATION THEY BUILT A GREAT TUCK WITH SMALL ROTTERS. :sick:
  • rngrng Member Posts: 3
    Is the titan engine a hemi? It has the sparkplug in the center of the valve cover like a hemi. A mechanic told it was a hemi, but I don't know if he knows.
    I have a 2005 titan, the brakes began shaking before it had a 1000 miles on it. Has there been a recall on it?
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Is the titan engine a hemi? It has the sparkplug in the center of the valve cover like a hemi. A mechanic told it was a hemi, but I don't know if he knows.

LOL, wow, that's a new one. NO NO NO, the Titan does NOT have a hemi in it, thankfully!! Hemi is a Dodge thing.
    Are you sure it's not a hemi? How does the sparkplug fire in the center of valve cover and the valves come in at an angle? I know nissan had a hemi straight 6 years ago. Anyone can make a hemi, dodge just owns the hemi name trademark I think.
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    Hemi describes the combustion chamber in the cylinder head - the shape is "hemispherical". I've never heard that the Nissan 5.6 is designed like that.

DB
  • cptnmattcptnmatt Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 titan with 29000 miles and have had my first problem, the control module (master computer) is going out. the dealer I use has ordered a new one to be replaced on fri.
    anyone else lose that module
    matt
  • 04titankcse04titankcse Member Posts: 2
    I had heard a thunk noise when i came upto a stop light shortly after I ran over a pot hole ? Didnt think much of it but later on I heard it again, that was a week ago and havent heard anything since!
  • jadstoyjadstoy Member Posts: 2
    My dealer mentioned that a silent recall was coming sometime in July. Has anyone else heard the same? My understanding is that it's supposd to be a complete brake system replacement.
  • babyboy8babyboy8 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 nissan titan. bought it at 5400 miles as a demo in jan 2005. i now have 14500 in july. i have had the brakes replaced 4x times. when i went in june, they told me my braking system was updated. while on a road trip all of the vdc, brake and slip lights came on. thankfully brakes never went out all together. am taking another trip, hope this fix was the right fix!!!
  • jgreene3jgreene3 Member Posts: 1
    Have the same problems @ 1800 miles Dealer said no parts. I am on a list for repair maybe as long as three months. Said that they have a list of 75 trucks ahead of me. Now after I got back my truck the ABS,Slip,Break,4X4 Light came on on the dash.Brake pedel went to the floor. then service engine light game on and speedodometer does not work. Parts will be in in one week. Nissan would not overnight the parts to dealer. Plus i want to get some items from me titan and found that both driver side door have been scratch down to the metal.
    If you have the utility bed liner, you'll notice that the two tracks in the bed are covered by a plastic/rubber shield. Often, if you come to a stop, they'll ride forward and smack the bed (just behind the cab), creating a disconcerting "boom" kind of noise (at first I thought my bed was coming loose).

The noise I'm talking about is coming from the front driver's side, and I'm now thinking it's actually something underneath, at or near the front driver's side wheel. What it is, I can't fathom, as I CANNOT reproduce the sound by rocking the vehicle - it only happens irregularly when driving over a bumpy (not rutty) surface when the front wheel is leaving the bump. In other words, when the front wheel has very little weight on it (or is actually airborne for a millisecond). At that time, one hears (and feels) a clunk.

Then there are a host of other body and dashboard noises...

Yikes. What's happening to the Titan I loved so much?
  • trucks4trucks4 Member Posts: 1
    You can always apply for your states Lemon Law and get a new Nissan!
  • kc333kc333 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know what's happening with your bed, but I had the squeak noises in the DASH. When I put pressure on the dash just above speedometer, the noise stopped. So I bought some velcro, Yes, velcro, and popped up the dash where the noise was coming from.Where the plastic "male" ends of the piece I popped up fit into the dash, I stuck the the fuzzy side of the velco to and popped the piece back into place. Absolutely no sqeaking since. Sure beats dropping my ' 04 Titan off for a day or two.
    Has anyone turned their truck in yet using the Lemon Law (Texas). I love my truck, but enough is enough with the break issue. :sick:
  • kwikirkkwikirk Member Posts: 2
    It took me forever to figure out what that thunk was. It was the track-rail covers on the floor of the bed sliding forward when I hit my brakes. The 05 Titans have a stop on the end of the cover to stop them but I just cut a piece of sponge and put it between the rail cover and the cab end of the bed and fixed the THUNK.
    I just had my rotors turned for the second time and the dealer said on the third time they would replace the rotors and the front and rear pads.
    I LOVE MY [non-permissible content removed]-KICKING TITAN!
  • rblockerrblocker Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same brake problems as most of you out there. Replaced front rotors, pads, mounts, at 8,000 miles, again at 22,000. I also have some transmission slippage under power from time to time. I've had enough. Trading in for fuel economy and reliability with a Tacoma. Love the Titan's power and interior room but I won't be stuck with a problem waiting to happen once my warranty is gone.
  • gdl1gdl1 Member Posts: 1
    I get close to 20 mpg highway, not interstate, in my 2004 Titan. I have 15,000 miles and it runs great. I had a 2002 Frontier King Cab that got less mpg and was underpowered.

GL
    I have 31,000 miles on my 04 and heres the problems I have encountered so far.
    1. control module failure @ 30,000
    2. brakes to be replaced the first week of august
    Other than that its a great truck, also the fuel mileage on a recent trip of around 1,300
    miles the gas mileage was 16.4, not great but I didn't buy for economy did I.
    I just started pulling a travel trailer and it does OK pulling but here the mileage really sucks.
    What really makes a difference to me is the service I get from the Dealer, OUTSTANDING. nothing but praise for them.
    matt
  • mondomondo Member Posts: 6
    My Titan has gone through two different differentials within the past 8000 miles, I have 18000 miles on it. I have the fully loaded 04 Titan LE, I also have a six inch lift, and 35x12.5 tires on 18" wheels. (that may be the problem). Please tell me the motor is simply to powerful to handle the load pressure my lift setup gives...

Bronco Motors in Caldwell Idaho, sells Titan's with Tires Les Schwabs six inch lifts, there are many Titans running around here with lifts, and so far none of them have had any problems, further Bronco's Service Manager says the tires are too big, but they won't do anything about the Titans they sell....

mondo
  • mondomondo Member Posts: 6
    I lifted my 04 Titan 6"'s, 35"x12.5"wide, on a 18" wheel.
    My rear differential has failed twice....

suggestions would be very greatfull.

mondo
  • toyhunttoyhunt Member Posts: 1
    yes.mine is going in tomorrow.will find out how good it will be. :)
    Lithia nissan in Medfore OR is lifting their new truck and calling them Nissmonsters.
    4" lift and 17" tires and it does'nt void the warrenty.

Matt
    My MD Nissan dealer just turned my rotors for the 2nd time (I have 15,000 miles on an '04, 4x4, big tow package). I'm now on a 30-day waiting list for a complete front brake replacement, which they claim will be a complete fix (new parts package from Nissan).
  • joeg5joeg5 Member Posts: 1
    The Dash on my Titan rattles. It is worst after being out in the sun. The Dash is hitting the windshield. The dealer fix was to shove some rubber between the dash and windshield. Anyone else have this problem. Also here a noise when stepping on the gas. It is very slight, but noticeable. Almost sounds like pinging, but I know it is not that.

Just got the new brake kit, I hope that is the end of that.
  • capmandocapmando Member Posts: 2
    I have a new 2005 Nissan Titan and have a problem of condensation forming under the mat on the passenger side front seat. The floor gets extremely hot. Does anyone else have this problem?