Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The brakes don't fail, they get juddery, as a race car driver on the road I leave plenty of room for failures of systems. Like I said if they got juddery and couldn't be fixed, putting in aftermarket calipers and rotors are way way less than $3k, more along the lines of $1k so I'd still be $2k ahead of the game.

-mike
  • razorthunderrazorthunder Member Posts: 98
    Its ok, you don't understand the reality of the brake problem or even how brakes work. But you saved $3000.00. Nissan sent out 1 recall and 4 Technical Service Bulltins, and still didn't fix the problem. You know why? Because brake judder is a hugh defect that occurs because brakes work off kinetic energy increasing with the square of the velocity (E = ½m·v2 relationship). This means that if the speed of a vehicle doubles, it has four times as much energy. The brakes must therefore dissipate four times as much energy to stop it and consequently the braking distance is four times as long. Uneven wear or warping won't been solved by simply replacing the calipers and rotors. But just think of that $3000 your saving when your vehicle is shaking so violently that you lose control, and your slamming into that family sedan because your brakes did not produce enough heat and friction to stop in a timely matter because of a hugh design flaw. Nissan should put that in their ADs.
    I've installed more brakes (Upwards of 500+ cars) and I know how brakes work very well. The brake judder doesn't happen suddenly, it happens progressively, so when it STARTS to have the sign of judder you then start looking for either a Nissan fix or your own fix. I know brakes work trust me.

-mike
    Let me get out my duct tape, so I can save more money on my defective braking systems. Right, Mike? Because its all about that bottomline, you cares about the risk, and properly engineering effective brakes (size, materials, functioning) in the first place. Just put a band-aid on them and pocket $3000. Great philosophy, Mike.
    Band-aid? Hmm I guess you never looked at my profile, I've installed, engineered and done extensive brake testing on race cars. A properly upgraded 4 or 6 pot system with larger rotors on the Titan or Armada can be had for between $1000-2000 along with upgraded pads. I wouldn't call that a band-aid fix at all. Do your homework before you attack my character and what I consider a "fix".

-mike
    On a brief search I found the Stillen kit for ~$1300

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=BPBRKIT2P&c=BR

Here is one for $3k which is what got knocked off my purchase (below dealer invoice) 6-pot AP Racing Calipers and 15" Rotors:
    http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=APBRKIT6P&c=BR

And this was just a quick search.

-mike
    Yep, band-aid fix because you would already be addressing symptoms versus underlining issues. Because you stated replacing calipers and rotors, in many of the Nissan brake problems does not solve the problem. It just quickly addresses the symptoms, and sends the customers on their way, thinking their problem is solved, only to return with the same problem. And for example a common underlining cause to brake judder is axle alignment. But you can't honestly beleive that Nissan corrects that defect, they patch your problem, get you out of the warranty period, so you can spend money later to get that problem fixed.
    ok you are off your rocker. The problem with the brakes is the same as EVERY SINGLE JAPANESE manufacturer who produces a larger heavier vehicle and starts selling it in the united states...

Sequoia/Tundra when it first came out had undersized brakes for 2 years, many recalls due to undersized brakes
    Subaru SVX again heavier than their normal cars brakes were undersized for the vehicle
    Honda Pilot/Oddesy Minivan Many many brake issues the first 2 years they were out

I could go on and on.

The problem is undersized rotors/calipers/poor pad material for the speed and weight of the vehicles. They address this with larger rotors, different pads etc.

-mike
    The judder phenomenon can be classified into two distinct subgroups; they are Hot (Thermal) or Cold Judder.

Hot judder is usually produced as a result of longer more moderate braking from high speed where the vehicle does not come to a complete stop. It commonly occurs when a motorist decelerates from speeds of around 120-km/h to about 60-km/h, which results in severe vibrations being transmitted to the driver. These vibrations are the result of uneven thermal distributions believed to be the result of phenomena called Hot Spots. Hot Spots are classified as concentrated thermal regions that alternate between both sides of a disc that distort it in such a way that produces a sinusoidal waviness around its edges. Once the brake pads (friction material / brake lining) comes in contact with the sinusoidal surface during braking severe vibrations are induced as a result and can produce hazardous conditions for the person driving the vehicle.

Cold judder on the other hand is the result of uneven disc wear patterns or DTV. These variations in the disc surface are usually the result of extensive vehicle road usage. DTV is usually attributed to the following causes; waviness of rotor surface, misalignment of axis (Runout), elastic deflection, thermal distortion, wear and friction material transfers.
  • rengawrengaw Member Posts: 22
    Mike....do you know if and when Nissan actually ungraded the brakes and/or differentials so it would be a long time fix. Or are they planning on doing so in future models. Be interesting to see what changes the 2008 model will have addressing past problems.
    I had the "final" kit put on my 04 Armada at 3,000 miles in mid-summer of 05, right around when the late 05s were finished being built. I now have 38k miles on my truck and haven't had any abnormal wear on the brakes since 3k miles. I tow a 6,000lb car trailer and a 6,000lb boat trailer with it at highway or above speeds. I am also a race car driver so even my "daily driving" is a bit more aggressive than the average driver.

Seems they have licked it with the last upgrade done. I will start towing a 9000lb Performance Boat trailer (triple Axle) in a few weeks and will report back how it handles it and how the brakes hold up.

-mike
    Produce a vehicle, sell it, than engineer the brake system through trail and error. Sounds backward and unsafe to me.
    Then I suppose you have to put down Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and just about any other Japanese manufacturer who has produced a heavy vehicle in the past 20 years.

-mike
    Nissan is light-years behind Toyota and Honda in terms of engineering and producing a quality, reliable, and safe product. Nissan is in the Flintstone era, which probably has a better braking systems than Nissan put on the Titan / Armada, whereas Toyota and Honda are in the Jetson era; "Ruh-roh! Nissan"
  • tony48tony48 Member Posts: 7
    wow, back up the bus(make that back-up the most impressive full size vehicle of the century). first of all toyota could not even shine nissan titan's wheels until 2007 in the full size pick-up truck department. and from what i hear the jury is still out with the new tundra. honda couldn't and still can't-ridgeline......give me a brake. speaking of brakes yeah titan had it's problems but mine has been fixed for two years now and haven't given me a single problem since. in fact i have had absolutely no problems with my 2004 that i purchased right out of the box in jan 2004! i read consumer reports they have always been consistent in my opinion, but as you can imagine my opinion of them isn't too good. anyway sorry to hear of the bad news regarding nissan, maybe i just got lucky, but after looking extensively at every other full size vehicle and past expierence with dodge/chevy and ford i am real happy with the titan.
    Tony I think that you and I must have the most luck of anyone, at least according to the nay-sayers. Guess we should hitup Atlantic City!

-mike
    Between my two, 2004 Nissans, they were repaired 66 times between 6 dealerships, and were still junk. Thats a pretty poor service record; you can post what you want. But thats a fact, and I kept all my service records. Buying Nissan is like hitting double zero, on the roulette wheel, the house just takes all the money, but ocasionally if you take high risk you can win.
    Your welcome to come test drive my lemon Nissan vehicle before buy-buck in a couple of weeks, if it will run; you have a 50-50 shot, you have to be careful has the transmission takes a few seconds to slip into first gear. And if the BCM faults again after having been replaced 5 times, the gauges stop working, drive carefully has you won't be able to tell your speed or RPMs, or fuel level. Also, even though I am on my 4th brake system, there is still a judder. Also my rear axle is leaking fluid because of a busted seal. It also seems mis-aligned. My 4x4 also won't engage, so please don't take it off-road. Also be careful has the window regulators have been replaced after the window fall into the door. Also my passenager door handle has broken off. I also just had my engine harness replaced.
    At least the BBB agreed this was a junky vehicle when I towed the vehicle to the arbitration hearing, and so did Nissan conceding and not presenting their defense. Also on my first one, Nissan just gave up trying to fix it, and volunteerly bought it back stating "unable to repair." Two Nissan 04 vehicles and two lemons, each fully serviced through the dealership (oil changes/scheduled maintenance), each with low miles, and well taken care of.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    any one specific vehicle has successive and repeated failures doesn't make the model or the manufacturer junk. I had enough problems with my last F-150 (1993), and I chose to buy a Dodge Ram to replace it. But that was ONE bad F-150.

Let's agree to disagree on the perception of Nissan, guys.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Host, sorry to hear about your F-150. What about 2 2004 Nissan consective vehicles with 66 repairs between them in 2 years time frame? No offense, but I personally draw the line somwehere. Even, if you correct the defects in later models, you still sell thousands of defective vehicles in the new release year. It also hard for me to believe that Nissan didn't know about the brake defect before releasing the vehicle, mine was evident in less than 3 months. I think that defines a manufacturer, and no manufacturer is flawless, but no consumer should have to put up with 66 repairs, often repeated repairs, that is extremely excessive.
  • thebunkthebunk Member Posts: 6
    I am tired of his constant repeating of the same sad story. It's not a
    vehicle he needs it's therapy. He has won his BBB hearing and will be paid for his losses but that isn't enough in his eyes, it's his personal Jihad against Nissan and his dealer.

It is to bad that he had a truck that wasn't right for him but he has gone thru the system to get releif and the system worked but he still goes on and on and on.

These forums are meant to help us ask and share and learn but his domination of any point and question is making the forums a joke.

At this point he needs to accept the facts of what happened and also accept that anything man-made brakes. All manufactures have issues
    Nissan is working to make the Titan better and the truck made today
    and the 2008 has many parts and systems that are different then those from 3 or 4 years ago.

I have owned f150's and Rangers and Dodges and the Titan is the best truck i have ever owned. It has a unique look and driving personality
    I have had a great dealer experience and will be getting a 2008.

But i am sure that razerthunder will responded to this message with the same tired rants that have lost any meaning. Hopefully not and we can all live in the hear and now.
    Cry me a river? I'm entitled to post my view, and you Nissan worshipers can say what you want. Beleive me I feel the same way reading your garbage over and over, Nissan is so great! I saved lots of money on my defective truck! Its not so bad they reengineered the brake system in 2005! My dealership is so great, and sent me a christmas card this year! I have the greatest Truck in the whole wide world, and I'm so lucky to own it. I love driving my unique truck and its driving personality. My truck is my best friend. Oh Please ......
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    As I mentioned in the other thread, let it go. You are indeed allowed to discuss YOUR bad trucks. That does not mean ALL of them are bad (or your word, defective), and there are certainly very satisfied customers out there. As this is the Maintenance and Repair discussion, if you have nothing to contribute in terms of those who are asking questions, you are not adding any benefit to the discussion.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • mick14mick14 Member Posts: 30
    I concur......hey when are you going to open 1/2 ton comparison, moderator?
    If this was a reality show, I would vote off "mike14," so we could move on to dicussing vehicles in 1/2 ton comparison.
  • ghilljrghilljr Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading the threads and am just a little taken a back. I like the look and a recently advertised price on a 207 Crew cab. Are the drive train and brake problems typical through out the Titan product line, or am I reading what amounts to really bad examples of an other wise fine product? Razorthunder, I have read your posts and don't believe you can add anything to what you have already said. Is there anyone else that would care to advise me? Thanks.
    Well it's not a reality show because you started to get chil :lemon: dish, razor-attitude and if it were, you would have been banned years ago. :lemon:
    You were asked to stop talking to me in the forums by the hosts via an email because you have no self control to keep the discussion based on the topic and facts versus personal attacks.

It is obvious that neither of you share the same opinions or views. That is not an issue. However, what is a problem is the personal insults included with your dissenting views. If you wish to continue attacking each other, you can do so in email. You each have a CarSpace page which contains a free email account. You can also use the chat feature on CarSpace.

If either of you continue the disruptive behavior within the discussions, your participation in the Forums will be restricted.

Respectfully,

KarenS
    Forums Community Manager
    Edmunds’ CarSpace
    Many thanks for Karen's fair and correct warning about the waste of time and resources over personal attacks and in my opinion childish behavior.

Lets all try to help each other share thoughts and knowledge in a positive and adult manner!!!!

Bunk
    I personally love my Titan - It has a unique driving personality that I
    find very enjoyable. The looks set you apart from the crowd. The new
    GMC/Chevy look bland the Toyota looks better in pictures then in person. I have had many Fords and a Dodge over the years and none
    provided the same satisfying experience as the Titan.

Just one guys opinion. :shades:
    I'm glad you like yours. I currently have more than 35+ thousand miles and am very happy with the power, torque,
    roominess, and downright reliability of this beast. I did put a few power adders as well as accessories to mod this
    truck but in any instance would recommend it to anyone.
    You may want to check out some of the Titan forums.
    I can't wait to get rid of my TITAN. Mine too had a "unique" driving personality that set it apart from every other truck I owned. Also just my opinion based on my experience with my TITAN. Obviously, no truck is perfect but I think I will try Toyota this time, I agreed the pictures look better than in person but this time I think I will put reliability over appearance.
    Yes, Stillen has done alot for the Titan. You can currently also get cross drilled/slotted OEM sized rotors for it for a very good price if you purchase it in a package. To add the final touches,you could put on a set of stainless steel brake lines also. Good find.
    Drilled rotors are not a good choice, except for blingage. Slotted are good to dissapate heat but drilled aren't good because they tend to crack easier.

-mike
  • kingkooldaddykingkooldaddy Member Posts: 8
    I bought an 06 Titan Crew (new, end of year clearance) that has had every reported problem that I have seen posted (except the brakes) in the three months that I have owned it. It has been to service 6 times for major issues and only has 3800 miles on it. I just recently arbitrated with the BBB for an extended warranty and won. All this aside, I feel that Titan problems are simply on certain vehicles. Mine happens to be one; however, the power, handling, roominess, and appearance are very appealing and although I wish I had not purchased my particular Titan, :lemon: the problems it has had are not indicative of all Titans. My advice, wait for the 2008 Titans, then some of the remaining bugs will be worked out. Good Luck
    Well, they have worked without any problems now for a little over a year. I do however live in a cool if not downright moist environment which will lead to longer brake life.
    I don't consider it blingage until the cost is above and beyond what any reasonable person could afford. :)
    They will probably be fine, if you aren't pushing them hard and if they didn't cost a lot more then you are good to go. I've seen countless drilled rotors crack on the race track because when you heat them up they crumble. So if you are doing heavy towing or racing the drilled are no good. For normal driving I suppose they would be fine and so long as you didn't pay a premium for em, they should be good.

-Mike
    My advice, wait for the 2008 Titans, then some of the remaining bugs will be worked out.

There seems to be alot of hope in the 2008 Titans, personally, I would base my decision on history versus hope. Although, I would expect Nissan to get something right after 4 years of engineering and consumer feedback, or would I?
  • gina3998gina3998 Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a Nissan Titan. I haven't even read thru all of your emails and I'm all ready pissed off with you. Everyone has problems with vehicles. They are designed and made by humans. I just got rid of my Ford Expedtion bec/ I was having problems with it but I had a Ford truck before that one witch worked fine. I have owned a Nissan Maxima in the past and never had problems with it. Just because you bought a car that had problems doesn't mean that everyone will have your troubles. So back off. It's pretty annoying for you to disrespect the other guys on here. Maybe you should do more research and get a car fax on your future vehicles.
  • gina3998gina3998 Member Posts: 7
    I just got my 2006 Titan a couple of days ago. I love the truck. The guy that owned it before me put so many after market items on it. It makes for a sweet truck, especially with the muffler system on it. I love the looks from the guys. I need to get a bed liner for it. Can anyone tell me where to look. I also want to put a cover on it. My husband has a snap cover on his pick up. Not sure what would be the best.
    If you haven't read all my post then why are you even replying .....yes there was an issue with the reliability of my two Nissan vehicles that were repurchased, after 66 repairs in 30 months, and ruled lemons by a third party, however, there are issues (on average) with reliability in the whole line of Nissan Titan vehicles, as consumer reports have evaluated the reliability: well below average. However that doesn't mean they are all bad, or there is not good atributes to the Nissan Titan; But, it does mean there is increased risk in terms of reliability, based on the evaluation of Nissan Titans history. Many people tolerate this as they like the appearance, features, and performance of Nissan Titans over the reliability and recall history. But, frankly after the nightmare my two Nissans put me through, I increasly respect reliability ratings over all other attributes of a vehicle.
  • bmwseekerbmwseeker Member Posts: 3
    In my family, we have five Nissan vehicles, three of which were the Titan. All vehicles had no complaints whatsoever.
    Everyone is very happy owning these cars and trucks. I think mileage is somewhere in the 50,000-65,000 miles. I have a Nissan and a BMW. Have had no problems with the Nissan.
  • firehaz1firehaz1 Member Posts: 16
    I just drove my new Titan home a few hours ago and love it. All these discussions of brakes, paint etc. Does anyone know if it has been fixed on '07's or is it something I should be on the lookout for? Thanks.
    The brake issue was fixed in late 2005; and the paint issue was isolated to 2006 models; hopefully you should have no problems with the 2007; however, Nissan seems to develop issues even after manufacturing for a number of years, for example in the 2006 release of Altima, it was recalled for engine fires, and this was a the last year model before a new generation with no issues the previous year.
  • firehaz1firehaz1 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll let the board know if anything comes up. Now to the mods page.
  • robnaorobnao Member Posts: 29
    The paint issues I am having are on a 2005 and the people who have replied to me with similar problems all have 2005's. No one is talking about it here, we are discussing it on the regular TITAN thread. I have also had complete brake job at 12k miles and am starting to feel the beginnings of the vibration again, this was supposed to be fixed on the 2005's or the "mod" was supposed to fix it. I am willing to bet within 2000 more miles I am getting a complete brake job again, I am at 25k right now. I mostly worry what will happen when my factory warranty runs out, will this issue be corrected or will Nissan expect me to pay for their design flaw. No other issues on mine, seems like I have had less problems than a lot of people.
    This is not a good forum to bring up problems, these posters are all Titan lovers that worship Nissan, and try to censor any problem with the Nissan line of vehicles. They don't beleive any problems exist in the Nissan line of vehicle, and if there are you should just trade it in for a 2008, where there will be no problems.
  • bmwseekerbmwseeker Member Posts: 3
    I do not know what troubles you, razorthunber, but this forum is a good place to bring up and talk about Nissan Titan. But in reading all of your particular threads, you have had alot of troubles for yourself.
    I think Nissan has had some problems in the past. But others like me have had only good things to say about Nissan. So please do not say that we are all Titan lovers. This is degrading and it brings much disrespect to this forum. Good luck to your future purchases.
    No problem. Good luck with your :lemon: (Nissan).
  • reybeastreybeast Member Posts: 35
    I puchased an 06 LE in July of 2006, and my tires have been bouncing since about 300 miles. I have been to the dealer and discount tire repeatedly so the tires could be "ride matched"/road force balanced in both places. The dealer put another set of tires and wheels from a new truck on the lot, and it was ok for a couple of hundred miles, then the bouncing came back. they took the "new tires and wheels off, and put my set back on since it didnt solve the issue. I called goodyear and they gave me full credit for the tires, and I bought another set of Goodyears (since I had to buy a Goodyear tire). I paid 119 for labor etc, and they bounce too. So I have had 3 sets of tires, 2 sets of wheels, shimmed the diff, 2 alignments. I live in Georgetown, Tx (just north of Austin) and I am told a DTS (Dealer Technical Specialist) will be here in Round Rock April 26th. I was told this in early March. I'm afraid the dts guy will say that its operating normally too, but the bounce (I call it a hop) is very noticeable. I'll do arbitration as well if he says that, I'm not going to waste anymore time. i can say that the Round Rock Nissan dealership has been very polite and tried pretty hard to solve this, but the service manager and I agree that the dts should have been involved sooner.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Has anyone put aftermarket exhaust on their Titan? If so which brand? I know the factory exhaust is superior to any(yes this includes my beloved HEMI Ram) truck on the market in terms of sound, but just curious to know of how good the aftermarket ones are.

Also, if anyone has installed a bed cover/tonneau top on their truck, please let me know.