Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jonboyfjonboyf Member Posts: 2
    im talking about a factory stereo from a junkyard titan, thanks
  • lqnordlqnord Member Posts: 1
    it sure does! they keep your truck all day and don't fix anything!
  • stupordavestupordave Member Posts: 1
    My 04 Titan CC 4x4 with 44,000 miles just started making this load electrical whine from the tranny. Took a while to pinpoint but it is clearly coming from under the black cover (looks like a pan) behind the main part of the transmission. The noise starts when I turn the key to the on position (doesn't have to be running). Doesn't so it when in th ACC position. At first thought it was a grounding issue with the radio but it's not coming from the speakers...clearly identifiable underneath the truck coming from under the black cover. Something perhaps with the 4WD mechanism?

My wife took it to the dealer today and they wouldn't even listen to the sound without charging $95 to pull it in the shop. Crappy service. Just wondering if anyone had any expereince/ideas with this. Searched the web and have come up empty handed so far.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
  • ByeByeTitanByeByeTitan Member Posts: 2
    My 04 Titan was bought with 95k on it, I put the iridium plugs in it, flushed the tranny and put in the Valvoline Maxlife (It works great in the Titan, you don't need to waste your money on J-Matic), changed the oil with synthetic, and thought now I will have a reliable truck for the next 10 years, at least. I had a 1985 Nissan pickup with the z motor that finally threw a wrist pin at 285k, (my fault for having straight 40w in the winter time and after a cold start rattle the knock came the next day), and my maxima's were in the high 200's when they started losing power. Well long story short, I was smelling coolant on my titan. I thought no big deal, it's a slow leak somewhere and I'll get to it when I have time. I figured I would see the temp going to about halfway when coolant loss got there, but instead it rocketed to max in like 15 seconds with no warning. Damn aluminum engines. Blown both heads instantly. Blue devil "fixed" it for a month. should have traded it in then. The crack in the lower plastic radiator tank had grown to 5 inches. I replaced the radiator, but it was to late.
  • babydoll14babydoll14 Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I have an 04 Titan SE. I purchased it used in 05. My differential just went out and I am trying to find the best way to get it going again. Of course warranty is out. Do i take it to the dealer $$$ ? or do i take it to a shop that specializes in rear ends? Help! any ideas or suggesstions?
    I have an 04 SE. I just recently replaced the radiator, it had a crack about 3 inches long at the bottom. I purchased a radiator for about $200. and replaced it myself. I notice it leaking fortunately, before it overheated on me. Not easy to replace it takes two people.
    In '05 models the differential cover was replaced with a finned aluminum one and synthetic oil was specified. The reason being the the rear differential didn't contain enough oil to properly lubricate and cool thus causing premature failure.

You may want to try and contact Nissan directly and see if they will offer some type of compensation. This is a well known problem.
  • amauamau Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the stock wheels for wheels without sensors. Can I turn off warning light and how?
    Can't turn off the warning light unless you install the sensors from the old wheels to the new.
  • tight10tight10 Member Posts: 1
    i got a 2007 xe bought it brand new i have had problems with the rear end sqeeking sounds like a rusted gate opening and closing the dealership kept putting some lube on it would go away 4 awhile then come back 3 times i went back now they tell me the leaf spring on the right rear needs to be replaced lucky me warranty will replace it i got 48,000 miles on it warranty is up at 50,000. Does anyone have this problem or any other problems with this model
  • soloflight98soloflight98 Member Posts: 13
    2005 titan. The truck has 33000 miles on it and is garage kept. Coming home from camping (in the rain) for about 3 hours in stop and go traffic due to a wreck on the interstate I noticed my leg got wet. I do not have a sunroof and I made sure the window was up. I noticed the very slow slow drips was coming from the bottom of the handle (oh s##t handle) on the pillar. Has anyone heard of this problem or could it have been a condensation build up. I took the handle and the plastic mold off and did not see any trace of water. Then hooked up the water hose to recreate the problem and nothing.
  • blarson1343blarson1343 Member Posts: 1
    when I turn my truck on my oil pressure goes straight to high is there a sensor or do i have to replace a oil pump need help.... if there are any links to help me pls send to me at [email protected] thanks so much for the help

Brent
    So this happens when the key is turned to the "on" position without starting the truck?

What happens after the truck is started? Does the gauge return to normal? Still stuck? A little more info would be helpful
  • nick3435nick3435 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Titan, and never had a prob until last week. I was at a red light, and then the truck shut off. I tried starting it back up, but it didnt want to turn over. I got it to the side of the road, and 5 minutes later it started back up and i drove 60 miles home with no issue. The truck ran fine the next few days, and then 1 mile down the road, it shut off again. Since then it has done it several more times, but with no reason or indication as to why. Can anyone help?
  • reybeastreybeast Member Posts: 35
    First, get your truck to an autozone, advance auto parts etc, have them check the computer to see if its throwing codes. They check it for free. If no codes, could be the fuel filter, or the fuel pump may be going out, or it could be spark related.
  • jamesl55jamesl55 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Titan LE and supposedly the fuel pump and the fuel module as the mechanic called it went out and had to be replaced...cost me $750 with labor. Did you eventually have to have your fuel pump assembly replaced?...and how much did it cost you? It runs fine now, so I guess it was the fuel pump...I just didn't think it would cost that much...
    the cost doesnt surprise me. I had a 99 300m out of warranty, and that was $600 to do the fuel filter and pump since both were in the fuel tank. If the Titan is the same, I can see why they would charge so much. I dont know if this is true, but the speculation is that if you drive around with a low tank alot, that the pump gets hot (not enough to ignite the fuel) often and causes it to wear out sooner. My 300 had 145k when the pump was changed. I have an 06 Titan LE that has 50k with the factory pump. (knock on wood).
  • philtitanphiltitan Member Posts: 1
    My titan 05 truck is having the same problem. It shut off while driving. It has 139,000 miles on it and I have taken great care of it. The repair guy says it is the ECM and it will cost 1100.00 dollars for the part and to replace the part. He says the ECM is fried but that it could be additional problems once he runs the diagnostics on it. I don't know what to do. Do you have any suggestions?
    yes, first, get a second opinion, even if it means the dealership has to check it. On something that expensive, its best to spend the extra money to confirm the problem. Call around to see if its a common problem on your year model, and most importantly what specifically can they check to be sure thats the problem? I wonder if taking it to autozone or someplace similar would be worth it for them to attach the analyzer (which they do for free) to see if any codes appear.
  • anastasia5anastasia5 Member Posts: 1
    This morning on my way to work, our 2005 Titan felt like it was going to stall out as I drove it up a little hill in our neighborhood. The lights on the dash started blinking, then lit up steady as I approached a stop sign. I put it in neutral and revved the engine. It seemed fine so I proceeded, however, the lights on the dash (BRAKE, ABS, and SLIP) remained lit up. As I drove on, I realized the speedometer and RPM gauge were not functioning. The blinkers, at least on the dashboard, were also not working. As I pulled into work I noticed a sound coming from the engine that I hadn't heard before. It was like a buzzing coming from the steering wheel area.
    I work at a tractor dealership, and asked the guys about it in the shop. I thought maybe a fuse had blown, one of the guys suggested that maybe one of the connections to the alternator was loose, but checked both possibilities and they were fine. We had the computer replaced at a Nissan dealership earlier this year, so I can't imagine it being that! Someone else suggested the IPDM...Anyone have any ideas?
  • titan8titan8 Member Posts: 41
    I have a 2004 titan truck with 77,000 and had that ticking sound,only when engine was cold,After I had 15,000 I changed over to full synthetic motor oil--I am using AMS OIL, 0w30 weight, change over 25,000 miles or one year. Once I started using the synthetic motor oil the ticking noise totally went away, and my gas mileage went up.
    Hi, After reading your comment about the brakes,Is this vehicle a titan truck? If so, your dealer says it`s not a wide spread problem-well buddy, It sure is and Nissan is covering it up to 75,000 miles because of the rotors are warping like no tomorrow. I went through 3 sets of rotors and I only have 70,000 miles on the truck--so ya it is a problem out there. I just changed to the slotted/ dimpled rotors --front and rear and trying to end this brake problem.
    I also have an 04 titan SE crew cab. I've heard several people have gone to synthetic oil, but what does the dealer say about that? Has anybody ever had a problem with their truck after going to synthetic? I have that same ticking and it is definitely annoying. I have a flow master so that helps hide the ticking.
    The brakes on my truck have been fine. I just make sure i use the dealers brake pads and i dont have a problem with them. My differential went out got it replaced and now it runs fine. I love my truck, my boys drive my truck and they get compliments from their friends, their friends find it hard to beleive it belongs to their mom. Although it is rather torqueie. Sometimes when i take off from a dead stop it jolts me forward, not all the time though, does anyone have that happen to them?
    The benefits of switching to synthetics are far too numerous to list. Bottom line, it will offer more protection for a longer period than regular oil. It will not stop the ticking.

Cleaning the throttle body may help on the jolting. Clean the TPS and IAF while you're at it.
    I switched to ceramic pads from NAPA at about 300 miles as the stock pads creating black dust drove me crazy. It's been 49K miles since installing those ceramics and they still look like new. I have never had any warping of the rotors nor vibrations while braking. Nissan should've installed ceramic pads from the start. Would've solved all their warping problems. 2005 Titan Crewcab.
    Going to full synthetic motor oil is the best you can do and will not harm your motor what so ever,in fact, I spoke to the Nissan top engineering crew staff and told them what I was going to do, they told me it`s the best you can do for your motor, I am running AMS OIL using 0w30 and goes for 25,000 miles before changing the oil. I had a 1988 dodge ram, that had 275,000 miles, which ran on full synthetic motor oil and only changed the oil once a yr and never had a bolt taken out of the motor.Seriously go with full synthetic you will never go wrong.For the ticking noise totally gone, when using synthetic oil.PLEASE REMEMBER once you change over to synthetic NOT recommended to change back to standard oil.
    yes switching over to ceramic pads do work much better, but keep one thing in mind, the rotors will wear out faster than the pads,and ceramic pads does help to take away the heat from the rotors.
  • joshua16joshua16 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 and have the same problem, after months of listening to it I crawled under it and had a friend shake the truck side to side as I located the problem. It is a bracket toward the top of the leaf springs. As the springs flex the bracket(clamp) that holds the ends together moves a bit and squeaks. I solved it for almost a year by spaying it with WD40. I went hunting this weekend and got into a lot of mudd and water. The squeak has returned, time for the good ol WD.
  • 1970cutlasss1970cutlasss Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 titan 5.6L, with 80,000 miles. it cranks but never fully starts, it's getting gas to it, it has fire to the injectors, but no fire to the coils. it wont run off starting fluid,not throwing any codes back, I had it diagnosed at a car garage and they said the cam sensor and the crank sensor needed replacing. I spoke to the nissan dealership and they said they never had any problems with those sensors. I dont know what to do, diagnosis cost me 100.00. I have a friend who has a 04 titan and the ipdm sensor had to be replaced at 52,000 miles. Can anyone help me? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    well, if they can verify the sensors are bad, let them replace them. Also tell them you would like to see/keep the old ones. The big questtion, if they replace them and it doesnt solve the problem, you shouldnt have to pay for the parts. if they agree, no loss to you and all is ok.
    I also have a 04 titan crew cab,80,000 miles and no problems as of yet. If your cranking and sure your getting fuel, than your sensors are working,If not your fuel pump will automatic shut down ,but your saying it some what catches and tries to start, this tell me your sensors are working. will look into this matter and repost what I find. Hope this helps you.
    If you buy an electrical part,that still does not fix the problem,99 percent of the time you CAN NOT return it, It`s yours to keep,So please keep that in mind,for anyone changing out electrical components.
  • mrmike444mrmike444 Member Posts: 6
    Now my truck doesn’t want to start…I had a friend mechanic come over the pass 3 days to do process of elimination. Reason 3 days 1 hour a day and because 2 different computers were not giving any codes. We checked fuel pump, pressure in the engine, fuses, relays. Until I remembered, I used a key that I have never used before to move my truck. Nissan gave me 3 keys when I bought the truck. 1 is mine 1 is my wife’s 1 was thrown in the garage and found this passed weekend and used to move my truck. Our trucks have an anti-theft shut off, so if a key is not programmed or not used at all it can lose the program stated by a tech your truck will shut down so it can’t be stolen. Do you recall maybe sticking a different key in even if was a spear that you never use? Check it out only bad part is getting the vehicle down to the dealer and reprogramming the keys and truck.
    Has anyone heard of this?
    Now my truck doesn’t want to start…I had a friend mechanic come over the pass 3 days to do process of elimination. Reason 3 days 1 hour a day and because 2 different computers were not giving any codes. We checked fuel pump, pressure in the engine, fuses, relays. Until I remembered, I used a key that I have never used before to move my truck. Nissan gave me 3 keys when I bought the truck. 1 is mine 1 is my wife’s 1 was thrown in the garage and found this passed weekend and used to move my truck. Our trucks have an anti-theft shut off, so if a key is not programmed or not used at all it can lose the program stated by a tech your truck will shut down so it can’t be stolen. Do you recall maybe sticking a different key in even if was a spear that you never use? Check it out only bad part is getting the vehicle down to the dealer and reprogramming the keys and truck.
    Never heard a key losing it`s program, So I started doing my home work, If A programmed key comes in contact with a strong magnet it might/ lose it`s program, so this you need to watch out for, Only thing That I found that will make a key lose it`s program.
    All titan trucks in the year 2004---2005 are covered for 75,000 for the brake problem, free of charge---once the miles are over that ---you are on your own--SO do what I did I have a 2004 model with 80,000 miles, once it turned 75,000 miles I put on Brimbo Brakes, ALL rotors with the holes drilled in them and slotted, wow what a diff. it makes. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND---WHEN CHANGING TIRES AND REINSTALLING THEM TIGHTEN THE LUG BOLTS IN A CROSS PATTEN --OVER TIGHTEN ONE OR MORE BEYOND SPECS. WILL DAMAGE THE ROTOR-MAKING IT WARP--SO PASS THIS ALONG.
    So if it loses its program and you go to use the key will it shut down the vehicle or activate an anti-theft security system? Will this cause the truck just to keep turning no spark doesn't fire up?
    Mike,I also have a Titan truck, Titan trucks has a built in HIGH TECH security system, If the computer sees any kind of tampering going on, The Chip in the computer system will erase it self and totally SHUT DOWN the electrical system protecting the vehicle from getting stolen. REMEMBER you can ONLY get this fix by the dealer and no one else, special codes are needed to reprogram the computer.Hope this help you out.
    Titan8, thanks I've heard of this happening but you just confirmed it for me. I just have 1 problem towing the vehicle to the dealer. I will put this at the top of my list and fill you in on the results once I get it down to the dealer. Thanks for you input :)
    your welcome anytime, please feel free to ask me any question on the titan--If i dont know I will find the answer asap. If you have AAA service or know anyone thats has it, you can get it towed free to the dealer.Just a reminder.AAA is a great great service!
    Titan8, got my truck fixed, computer IDPM... this seems like its a on going problem with the Titans. Do you think they might do a recall on this? $540.00 part and labor
    Hello got your reply,Glad your truck is fixed,I have not heard of any computers failing on the Titans,But I will sure will be looking into it right now and letting you know,Only thing about recalls,To get a recall on vehicles,A bunch of computers has to go down to start an alert system before someone really gets hurt. It wont hurt to make a call to Nissan Head quarters to find the correct answer, If this is an on going problem, yes I would say you have a case to fight. Hope I answered your question.
    does anyone have the information for what the 06 titan 4x4 crew cab drive shaft angles should be? I'm talking both angles from the transfer case back, the angle of the shaft where it goes into the transfer case, and where it meets the differential.
    To get a true accurate measurement I would call Nissan Head quarters and talk to the engineering dept.
    How does one call Nissan and speak to engineering, any pointers would be appreciated! i can never get passed the "customer service reps" since they always point me to the dealerships and the dealer says they dont have that info and that I need to call HQ.
    In the back of your owners manual there should be a list of number to call Nissan Head Quarters. Once you talk to Nissan REP. ask them "Please put you through the Mechanical engineering dept".
  • tree14tree14 Member Posts: 3
    06 Titan, 14K rear tail pipe rusted off!! Rear brakes were serviced by the DEALER!!
    @7K but @14K DEALER stated that 1K was needed to replace the rear rotors and
    pads. The tail pipe rusted off also, The dealer called everything bad luck and weather causing the problems. I will be replacing all of the rotors and installing
    ceramic pads. I will never purchase another NISSAN product. The dealerships could
    care less once you pay drive the vehicle off of thr lot!!!!
    $1K is a bit steep for a rear brake job even with replacing the rotors. You don't by any chance use the truck to launch a boat? That would be the only reason I could see in needing to replace the rear rotors and the tailpipe rusting off.
  • roberto16roberto16 Member Posts: 4
    Recently the brake MC on my 05 took a dump into the booster. I had a buddy bring the parts from the States ( I live in Mexico) I refilled the MC and had no-assist brakes and drove that way for a month. The MC did not leak again. Hey I'm a Mexican driver we don't need no stinkin brakes !!
    Replaced the booster and MC. After replacing the MC and booster the brakes have started to drag, sometimes severly sometimes only a little sometimes not at all. When it first occured I was away from home and the brakes were almost locked completely. I disconnected the booster with no effect. Next I thought the push rod on the MC needed adjusting so I pulled up on the brake pedal and it alleviated the lock up temporarily. Readjusting the MC push rod seems to have made the problem occur less and less severely but has not eliminated it. Pulling up on the brake pedal still seems to remove the problem temporarily. This makes no sense to me. What am I missing?

As I see it the brake switch limits the adjustment of the push rod ?? I can't figure out if the switch is adjustable. I adjusted the rod so that the brake light is just off. If I shorten the MC push rod more the brake lights are on all the time.