Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• titan8titan8 Member Posts: 41
    I have 04 Titan Crew cab,I had the same Problem with the tail Pipe, Was told by Nissan Mechanic very common-and very easy to fix, The Mechanic welded a sheet of metal around the pipe to fix where it was broken and looks like it was never broken,cost me 50 bucks.Check with the dealer about the brakes,I was covered up to 75,000 miles for any brake work, and paid by Nissan,Now that I have 80,000 i have changed over to the slotted and drilled rotors and all new pads, Semi metallic pads-REMEMBER one thing, IF you use ceramic pads your rotors will not LAST as long. Ceramic pads wears out the rotors faster and the pads will last a bit longer, you want the other way around to save money.NO MECHANIC will tell you this because it`s a money making deal, Don`t believe me start asking around.If I were in business and doing brake jobs, hell ya sell the ceramic because I know you will be in buying rotors real soon.But go with the drilled holes and slotted rotors, you pay alittle more but get great life out of them.Hope I helped you out.
    Reading your comment, One thing I need to know--Do you have ABS BRAKES on this vehicle? Another comment you never want to touch the or adjust the push rod,will wait for your reply, so I can help you more on this problem.
  • roberto16roberto16 Member Posts: 4
    Yes, ABS brakes. Its a stock, stripped down model, no fancy stuff. Already adjusted the push rod !! :cry:
    Just got your message and hoping you are sitting down, I was looking into your problem and asking a good friend who works at the dealership.He told me,First thing the push rod must be set back to factory settings before you attempt to start anything else.The computer is what controls your braking system,Is your ABS LIGHT ON? ON THE DASH PANEL.There is a false signal telling to apply pressure to your braking system.These ABS brakes works the same way as an aircraft,fast pulsing system when pressure is applied.Ok First thing first---you need to find out the push rod setting and get it back to factory settings--very important--if not your brakes can and will LOCK UP WHEN YOUR DRIVING YOUR VEHICLE!! i AM trying to get more information to help you out.
    NO. the ABS light is not on. Thanks for your help.
    Are you still having brake problems?
    Not as bad. I readjusted the push rod. The were dragging the other day but only after I had parked for a couple of hours. I wonder if they can reset the computer if I get it to a dealer down here?
    Yes I would try to get it to the dealer as soon as you can, not only your wearing out the pads BUT your taking a hugh chance of over heating the rotors and they will start to warp, not a good thing,Sounds like, After you adjusted the push rod you did see a difference, that is a good thing.
  • tree14tree14 Member Posts: 3
    This truck has only pulled a 1Ton trailer and has not been called upon to work.
    i.e. hauling heavy loads ect. or driving off road. It should be noted that the reardiff. breather rusted off around 23k. this Junk Wagon now has approx. 28K, I am starting to get MIL lights.
    Hello, Still looking into your problem, Are all four wheels locking up? or just the rear,If the rear are locking up, The emergency brake pads are bonded and are found to come unglued from the backing plate,If this happens the shoes gets lodged into the rotor/drum,causing the wheels to bind or seem the brakes are being applied.To find if this is true--every easy to do--jack up rear end-USE JACK STANDS!!!!!!! Remove tire, try to remove rotor-if rotor wont come off-- you got problems with the Emergency brake shoes---Check both wheels!!
  • jagtech85jagtech85 Member Posts: 2
    hello, I was wondering if anyone out there has used any decent aftermarket parts to rebuild the rear diff on a titan. it is an 04 4x4 se 113k. i had recently bought the vehicle from a dodge dealer I noticed my rear axle seals are leaking. after looking into this i find that this is a common issue. also while driving on the highway for 10minutes it has random jolt (possible signs of rear diff trying to lock up?) I was told that usually when axle seals are done you will find the gears are worn badly. so if anyone knows of a company that seals a rebuild or anything of the sort it would be helpful.
  • jduganjdugan Member Posts: 1
    my o4 v8 4door titan having oil pressure problems when in drive my oil pressure fluctuates from normal to low and back up at the same time the engine seems to lose power like it's skipping. when driving there is no problem oil pressure is at normal and sometimes not all the time it will do it in park but mainly it happens in drive at a stop. changed the oil yesterday with no change.
  • jagtech85jagtech85 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    sorry i don't really have an answer for you on that, but i have had that same problem on mine tha last few months. driving no problem but at a stoplight it will seem to surge and can notice the oil pressure drop. a/c compressor is off and no loads on system to drag the engine down. if you hear of anything let me know. have you had many problems with your rear diff and axle seals? i'm going to try a detroit trutrac diff and new gears along with changing the diff cover and seals/bearings. i haven't heard of this yet from anyone but i don't see why it would not work.
  • mason5ermason5er Member Posts: 4
    I just read your December post on your Titan starting problems. I seem to have the same problem. Did you find the fix? PLEASE let me know. hmason@sanjuanems.org
    Help! I have a 04 titan, that won't start. It will crank over and seems to want to start but won't. It has fuel, the fuel pump comes on, it will NOT run on starting fluid, there are no trouble codes. I found another post like this but the author did not post the fix. Any ideas would be great. The nearest dealer is 50 miles and a 2 hour ferry ride away.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    No start is either no fuel or no spark. If you have fuel you need to check for a spark.
  • mrmike444mrmike444 Member Posts: 6
    I was the 1 who put that posting in. I had to end up towing the truck to the dealer. Leaving it for a couple hours they called and said it was my computer that needed to be replaced. Computer is around $250.00 - $300.00 jerks charged just as much for labor I walked out paying $560.00. I have 2004 with 81,000 miles please call Nissan direct and put in a claim if there are enough claims they could put in a recall and reimburse all of us who paid to get this taken care of. Thanks
  • reybeastreybeast Member Posts: 35
    whatever they replace, say you want to see the old one! Perhaps even mark your computer somehow so you can call BS if they say they will replace it.
  • oldman61oldman61 Member Posts: 2
    i have an 04 titan, engine had to be replaced at 39,500 miles, now at 46,000 the left rear axles will lock up. have it on jack stands, in neutral, spin right rear tire in forward direction which makes the left tire turn backwards since it's not a posi unit, after a while the left will lock up. jerk and snatch on it for a while, it will turn but does not turn the other wheel or the drive shaft. pulled the back plate, all gears look great, no wear, no missing pins as of yet. have tire and break off. i guess next is pull left axle.
    anybody have any clues? thanks
  • oldman61oldman61 Member Posts: 2
    Not sure if you got your titan truck to start, First place to check and always the first place is the Crank shaft sensor.If this fails your truck will not start- Plus the on board system does not tell your your sensor went bad--no codes in the computer--
  • lorendeanlorendean Member Posts: 1
    My is doing the same thing. It lost power the other day but did not stall all the way out. I shut the truck off and restarted the truck and it was fine. It did the same thing again the next day. Now it wont start and I also had it towed to the dealership but have not heard nothing back from them yet, I have 63000 mile on the truck and so far it has been an awsome truck. I hope they find something minor and hope it is stil under warranty
    Mine needed th IPDM computer replaced, took them bout two weeks to fix though I told the about the IPBM they wouldn't listen, runs fine now.
    I have the first Titan crew truck that Nissan came out with, 2004 and so far not a problem with it,I have 86,578 miles on it, still runs like the first day i bought it. Looking into the problem,Why most trucks wont start,and found out the crank shaft sensor fails,When this happens the engine wont start.Just change out the sensor and you should be fine.
    Glad you got it fixed, doing so much research on titan trucks and finding out the computers and the crank shaft sensors start failing around 60 to 75,000 miles, well i have 86000 miles so far knock on wood no problems, now that I have said this I just jinks myself.This truck is still the very best truck that i had ever bought!!! And I would buy another one before even looking into another brand.Nissan products are outstanding!!
  • marytamaryta Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I have a 06 Titan. Turned key and nothing-called airport security and they jumped. It took a while just to get it to click then a while for it to start-they can to use to sets of cables to jump it and it finally started. I drove 70 miles home and turned it off and immediately did not restart. Tried to jump-didnt start-so took battery to have it tested in which they said was dead so I bought a battery and had it installed and it didnt start! I can not even have it pushed out of my driveway because the gears are locked in park. Scared to take it to dealer since I am female and been ripped off before. Any ideas what could be wrong?
  • sischristiansischristian Member Posts: 1
    2006 Nissan Titan; 96000 miles.

Sunday - started fine; went to leave a parking lot, and it just quit; sputtered for about 5 minutes, then it was like the fuel engaged and we were off...

Tuesday - husband got ready to take it to the shop to have it looked at and serviced and it did the same thing and then just would not start at all...

Has been in the shop since Tuesday: CAM(?) shaft sensor has been replaced...that wasn't it; crank shaft sensor has been replaced...that wasn't it...

HELP!! Any suggestions? Hauling it to local dealership tomorrow for them to look at it...
    the IPDM computer is a common problem, get it replaced, should cost under $500 at a dealer to do it, fixed ours.
    Many Problem I see with Nissan Titan trucks that having a hard time starting is the computer dying and needs to be replaced.
  • rnuimage1rnuimage1 Member Posts: 3
    Just got , new to me a 2005 titan le 4wd, 97,000 miles . Awesome truck , great price , had a week of good driving , then went to start last night and engine just cranked? after i had read these forms the other day figured the crank sensor might be the problem so went to store on the bike and when i came back home it started right up ? tried it again today no problem except notice alot of white smoke coming from exhaust , revved engine to clear and alot of black soot came out from pipes , still a little white smoke haven't driven it on road yet but hoping that excessive fuel from cranking the other night is the cause . any comments please advise. thank you :D
    Whits smoke usually indicates a blown head gasket. Check your oil to see if it's contaminated with coolant.
    Hi reading your message, on the white smoke, really not quite sure yet what that would be. I have a 2004 titan bought it brand new, and not once in the shop, it now has 89,905 miles and runs outstanding,still looks like show room condition.If you just bought it --from a private party- not sure what state your in---but rules of thumb is 30 days you have for warranty ---from a dealer you may have move time.If the engine will not start,there is a safety relay that sends a message to the fuel pump to stop pumping fuel so you wont flood the engine out and cause a fire.Alot of research I am doing on this truck, for one thing,I am finding out, IF the engine will not start it is not the crank shaft sensor--finding out it is the computer that is causing the problem.I would bring this truck to the dealer and have them check the computer read outs. You dont want this vehicle to die when your on the road,it just a peace of mind knowing the computer is doing it`s job and no major problems coming down the road. hope this helps you out.
    Thank you for your reply , I believe I have located the root of the problem . Bought this vehicle form a bank as a repo , so no warrenty applied , but found that previous owner had rigged a positive battery terminal due to the fuse able one that had obviously blown , there is a jumper wire from one side of the fuse able link to the other and 2 universal battery terminals kinda linked together from the post to the link , wow finally while starting the other day it melted apart . Have ordered a new one from dealer $23.00 . AS for the whit smoke i believe the day it did not start was due to low amperage at the coils and it over fueled the exhaust, after letting sent in the catylast for the night most likely loosened all the crap in them and blew it out and is burning off . Took for a ride yesterday and it seems to be almost gone , but will keep track of it . I have ck'ed oil and coolant and both are ok and clean so dont suspect a head gskt . Absolutely Love this vehicle have wanted one for a long time just could'nt afford it . Being a repo at my bank the price was right on it 2005 97000. miles 4wd le some minor dings and scratches , $11,000. Thanks again will keep you informed
    Your welcome very much,Please feel free to ask me any question on the truck, since i have one, and love it big time, This is the best truck I had ever bought in my life, and I bought many. Enjoy it!!!
  • jstatemajstatema Member Posts: 2
    I have an 07 Titan with 67000 miles. I am the original owner and have no after market equipment installed. I have been having trouble starting. While it starts, it cranks over very slowly (like almost dead battery slow), it eventually starts. I checked the battery, alternator, plugs, coil packs, and fuses. Everything seemed fine. Voltage on the batt was 13.7V not running and 19.1V when the truck was running. Also the tach, volt meter, and all dash instruments stay zeroed out (as if the truck is not running) for about 5 seconds after the trucks starts then resumes as if nothing ever happened. No codes are present after this happens nor were they present prior to this (engine trouble codes). To note, one the first time this occurred, we had to jump start the Titan and it was during this time the Check Engine light flashed twice (again, no codes present) after it sat for about 30 hours.
    JUST A THOUGHT I ASSUME THAT U HAVE CLEANED AND CHECKED THE BATTERY TERMINALS?
    HOW ABOUT THE LEADS FROM THAT FUSIBLE LINK ON THE BATTERY ? NOT REAL SURE ON THIS, AS I DONT HAVE MY NEW FUSIBLE LINK IN YET, ITS ON ORDER LOL. BUT IT APPEARS THAT ONE SIDE OF THE LINK IS TO STARTER AND THE OTHER SIDE IS ACCESSORIES . FIRST CK THAT THE TERMINALS ARE CLEAN AND MAKING GOOD CONTACT, THEN HAVE SOMEONE CHECK VOLTAGE DRAW WHILE STARTING AT TERMINALS AND WIRES OFF THAT LINK TO STARTER , 19.1 VOLTS WHILE RUNNING IS EXTREAMLY HIGH SHOULD BE IN THE NEIGHBOR HOOD OF LIKE 14.1 MAX SOUNDS LIKE U HAVE LOW VOLTAGE GOING TO THE STARTER AND ALTERNATOR DUE TO A BAD CONNECTION , WHICH WOULD CAUSE IT TO CRANK SLOW AND OVER CHARGE TO BOOT . HOPE THIS HELPS
  • jstatemajstatema Member Posts: 2
    Well as always it turned out to be super simple. The battery was charging, but I believe there was a bad cell that was causing some current problems. Swapped battery out and low and behold everything is working great once again.
  • singer925singer925 Member Posts: 1
    When I'm driving, the brakes start acting up as if they're going out, and they start making noises. Also, the brake light comes on. I have to pull over and restart the car, then the problem will go away as if nothing happened. Does anybody know how to fix it?
    There is a fuse pack coming off the positive side of the battery check to make sure no fuses are blown, make sure all connections are clean. For the high voltage 19.1 wow your lucky you have not cooked the whole electrical system, your radio,headlights,lamps,are in the danger zone of getting burnt out.Sounds like your alternator is not working--well the alternator is working it is your voltage regulator not responding to what the alternator is putting out---MAX VOLTAGE IS 14.8 VOLTS when engine is running.I would not run the truck until your alternator/voltage regulator is checked out fully. I hope this helps you.
    I know the computer controls the braking system, this is why you NEVER NEVER pump the brakes because it will confuse the ABS system big time,sounds like you need to have computer reset--best thing take this to the dealer DON`T just bring this to any garage, they will mess it up even more! hope I helped you on this one.
  • lalo55555lalo55555 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 titan. Never had a problem with it, recently it started acting up, the truck turs on but when i drive it , it doesent go more than 10 miles. I thought it was something to do with the fuel pump, but i think thats not it any suggestions on what it could be please?
    Your Problem really has me thinking,you say No more than 10 miles you can drive this truck, then what happens,totally dies out? can you restart it? One person I know had a problem very close to yours and found out the battery was shorting out and killing the electrical making the vehicle die.Not sure if this is what u have. If and when you do find out please post it and let me know what you found out, and I will keep on looking into this as well.
  • tommyboy84tommyboy84 Member Posts: 1
    I asked the same question of my Nissan Mechanic, this is what he said:Hi my name's Mike thanks for the question! Well unfortunately the early Titans and Armadas had brake issues with the rotors, calipers,
    and brake shoes all being undersized which will cause brake pedal vibration. They also had issues with the brake booster and the VDC
    ( vehicle dynamic control) going out which will cause symptoms much like what you're describing. I'm surprised the dealer hasn't recommended to replace the booster yet (or have they?). We had a Nissan engineer out at our dealership a few years back and was showing us how the booster and VDC (vehicle dynamic control) failed on the Titans, Armadas and Infiniti's QX56's. There was a reprogramming for the VDC (vehicle dynamic control) unit but even after that, the boosters still ended up needed to be replaced. I would go back to the dealer and ask them about at least replacing your brake booster. The part itself can vary from around $230 to $320 depending on 2 or 4 wheel, tow package and trim level of vehicle. Labor shouldn't be more than 3 hours or around $300 depending on your dealer's labor rate. Replacing the brakes with a larger, more appropriate system and possibly the VDC (vehicle dynamic control) will be much more expensive. Hope this helped.
  • bullpen01bullpen01 Member Posts: 2
    Have a 04 Titan crew cab with only 48k on it. In the past week when I crank it there is a very audible tapping/clicking noise coming from UNDER the center to passenger side of the dash nearest to the hood side. It only lasts a few seconds but has been doing it almost every time I crank the engine lately. Help??
    edited October 2010
    The VDC was on national backorder for the longest time leaving Nissan and Infinity owners SOL with their vehicles parked on the dealers lots for a week or months in some cases. Keeping that in mind I'm surprised Nissan doesn't replace it for free knowing that it was a defective part and failed on most Titans, Q56 and Armadas.

That says a lot about the company. Now imagine if Toyota tried that oh wait they did and got caught......
    I have the same year and model and I have 91,000 miles so far nothing gone wrong with it,I hear the same noise at times and believe it is a relay, a safety relay behind the glove compartment door,If you just put the key on the ON POSITION and move the drive shift to the right you will hear the same thing. So I just think it is a relay making the noise, best thing is just take it to dealer for a quick check, because you don`t want to get stuck on the road if the relay stops working,Hope I helped you out.If your planning to keep truck--get the manual on how to repair the vehicle-in back of your operating manual you will find the order form on how to get the manual---this is the same manual the dealers use--so you cant go wrong---i paid 55.00 best thing I ever done!!
  • tree14tree14 Member Posts: 3
    I have waited until 30k miles as far as I am concerned this 2006 Titan is not worth
    it's name. I replaced all rotors which I might add the Rear's only had a(1") wear pattern the Emerg. brake shoes were rusted from the metal they came out in two
    pcs. I had to replace the front drive "U" joints RUSTED and BROKEN. Replace the
    Diff. Breather. which I might add NISSAN reported on one of their insp.s but did nothing about. I have a picture file of the Rotors and "U" joints. I was informed by
    the Dealership that my brake problems were caused by NON USE OF THE VEHICLE ??????????. The instructed to rate them as outstanding in regards to their
    JOB PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!. I have paid for all repair and Parts. `The welding of the rusted Tail Pipe and the Turning? of the rear rotors I paid @ the dealership.
    Hello just read your message on your titan truck, I have the first yr model 2004, and i went through the exact same problems you are now going through, But Nissan paid for my brakes up to 75,000 miles, I now have 94,000 miles and running very good.To get away from the brake problems, do what I did, put on the rotors that are slotted and drilled holes--called Brimbo rotors you will never go wrong,they last a long time and you will be on the road and not in the shop getting your rotors turned down every 20,000 miles like I was doing.the rear brakes--another problem---the rear emerg. shoes, I want to say unglue from the backing plate making it very very hard to remove the rear rotors. Use semi metallic pads, again you wont go wrong.Ceramic pads will wear the rotors out a little bit faster so I wont advise going that way.The tail pipe yes I did the same thing had it welded two years ago and still holding very good.But the truck in other words has been the very best truck I had ever bought, I had many diff. ones.I buy another one. I use full synthetic motor oil ever since I had 10,000 miles and I am getting 20 mpg highway,16/17 mpg city--If I do more city I get 14/15 mpg. Front u joint just did the same thing at 90,000 miles. I had Nissan do a complete 90,000 check up changed what ever they had to,because I never changed anything other than the oil/brakes.Hope you have good luck with your truck.
  • 46534653 Member Posts: 7
    I have the same problem. clicking is more frequent as the days go by. Have you found any solution?
  • goodtitangoodtitan Member Posts: 1
    to lalo55555,

My 2004 Titan also just acted up. The vehicle would stall out after about 2 or 3 miles. After it sat for about an hour, if would start and run fine for a while. Eventually it would only start and run at about 100rpms then stall. The problem was the engine control module relay which Nissan has issued a recall on this week, 1-18-11. The dealers repair is free. I also thought it was the fuel pump but it wasn't. Good luck.