Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Titan Maintenance and Repair

1232425262729»

Comments

• I have a 2006 titan. Never had a problem with it, recently it started acting up, the truck turs on but when i drive it , it doesent go more than 10 miles. I thought it was something to do with the fuel pump, but i think thats not it any suggestions on what it could be please?
  • titan8titan8 Posts: 41
    Your Problem really has me thinking,you say No more than 10 miles you can drive this truck, then what happens,totally dies out? can you restart it? One person I know had a problem very close to yours and found out the battery was shorting out and killing the electrical making the vehicle die.Not sure if this is what u have. If and when you do find out please post it and let me know what you found out, and I will keep on looking into this as well.
  • I asked the same question of my Nissan Mechanic, this is what he said:Hi my name's Mike thanks for the question! Well unfortunately the early Titans and Armadas had brake issues with the rotors, calipers,
    and brake shoes all being undersized which will cause brake pedal vibration. They also had issues with the brake booster and the VDC
    ( vehicle dynamic control) going out which will cause symptoms much like what you're describing. I'm surprised the dealer hasn't recommended to replace the booster yet (or have they?). We had a Nissan engineer out at our dealership a few years back and was showing us how the booster and VDC (vehicle dynamic control) failed on the Titans, Armadas and Infiniti's QX56's. There was a reprogramming for the VDC (vehicle dynamic control) unit but even after that, the boosters still ended up needed to be replaced. I would go back to the dealer and ask them about at least replacing your brake booster. The part itself can vary from around $230 to $320 depending on 2 or 4 wheel, tow package and trim level of vehicle. Labor shouldn't be more than 3 hours or around $300 depending on your dealer's labor rate. Replacing the brakes with a larger, more appropriate system and possibly the VDC (vehicle dynamic control) will be much more expensive. Hope this helped.
  • Have a 04 Titan crew cab with only 48k on it. In the past week when I crank it there is a very audible tapping/clicking noise coming from UNDER the center to passenger side of the dash nearest to the hood side. It only lasts a few seconds but has been doing it almost every time I crank the engine lately. Help??
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    edited October 2010
    The VDC was on national backorder for the longest time leaving Nissan and Infinity owners SOL with their vehicles parked on the dealers lots for a week or months in some cases. Keeping that in mind I'm surprised Nissan doesn't replace it for free knowing that it was a defective part and failed on most Titans, Q56 and Armadas.

That says a lot about the company. Now imagine if Toyota tried that oh wait they did and got caught......
    I have the same year and model and I have 91,000 miles so far nothing gone wrong with it,I hear the same noise at times and believe it is a relay, a safety relay behind the glove compartment door,If you just put the key on the ON POSITION and move the drive shift to the right you will hear the same thing. So I just think it is a relay making the noise, best thing is just take it to dealer for a quick check, because you don`t want to get stuck on the road if the relay stops working,Hope I helped you out.If your planning to keep truck--get the manual on how to repair the vehicle-in back of your operating manual you will find the order form on how to get the manual---this is the same manual the dealers use--so you cant go wrong---i paid 55.00 best thing I ever done!!
  • I have waited until 30k miles as far as I am concerned this 2006 Titan is not worth
    it's name. I replaced all rotors which I might add the Rear's only had a(1") wear pattern the Emerg. brake shoes were rusted from the metal they came out in two
    pcs. I had to replace the front drive "U" joints RUSTED and BROKEN. Replace the
    Diff. Breather. which I might add NISSAN reported on one of their insp.s but did nothing about. I have a picture file of the Rotors and "U" joints. I was informed by
    the Dealership that my brake problems were caused by NON USE OF THE VEHICLE ??????????. The instructed to rate them as outstanding in regards to their
    JOB PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!. I have paid for all repair and Parts. `The welding of the rusted Tail Pipe and the Turning? of the rear rotors I paid @ the dealership.
    Hello just read your message on your titan truck, I have the first yr model 2004, and i went through the exact same problems you are now going through, But Nissan paid for my brakes up to 75,000 miles, I now have 94,000 miles and running very good.To get away from the brake problems, do what I did, put on the rotors that are slotted and drilled holes--called Brimbo rotors you will never go wrong,they last a long time and you will be on the road and not in the shop getting your rotors turned down every 20,000 miles like I was doing.the rear brakes--another problem---the rear emerg. shoes, I want to say unglue from the backing plate making it very very hard to remove the rear rotors. Use semi metallic pads, again you wont go wrong.Ceramic pads will wear the rotors out a little bit faster so I wont advise going that way.The tail pipe yes I did the same thing had it welded two years ago and still holding very good.But the truck in other words has been the very best truck I had ever bought, I had many diff. ones.I buy another one. I use full synthetic motor oil ever since I had 10,000 miles and I am getting 20 mpg highway,16/17 mpg city--If I do more city I get 14/15 mpg. Front u joint just did the same thing at 90,000 miles. I had Nissan do a complete 90,000 check up changed what ever they had to,because I never changed anything other than the oil/brakes.Hope you have good luck with your truck.
  • 46534653 Posts: 7
    I have the same problem. clicking is more frequent as the days go by. Have you found any solution?
  • to lalo55555,

My 2004 Titan also just acted up. The vehicle would stall out after about 2 or 3 miles. After it sat for about an hour, if would start and run fine for a while. Eventually it would only start and run at about 100rpms then stall. The problem was the engine control module relay which Nissan has issued a recall on this week, 1-18-11. The dealers repair is free. I also thought it was the fuel pump but it wasn't. Good luck.
    Wow Nissan issues a recall on 2004 models in 2011? What's wrong with that picture?

BTW, if you had it repaired by an independent you can file a claim with Nissan for reimbursement.
    Nissan is very good on fixing any recalls!!! or any problems in that matter. I had many American vehicles but changed all family vehicles to Honda and Nissan, why The vehicles are always on the road and not in the shop, My 2004 titan has 95,200 miles went in shop for brakes and recall on engine control module, that is it. Love Nissan/ Honda products.
    Love Nissan/ Honda products.

Then you weren't one of the many who had their brand new Titan, Armada, or Q56 parked at the dealership for weeks while the module was on nationwide backorder. Imagine having a brand new car sitting on the dealer's lot waiting for parts. This was back in 2004 and only in 2011 they finally issue a recall. I'm just wondering what caused them to recall only now. Think it has anything to do with Toyota? For me I have to submit an invoice for reimbursement.

They require not only the original invoice but credit card statement showing the date and actual charge to your card. What a pain.
  • red05red05 Posts: 3
    I have the same problem its either your ac or heater, it'll still work but not 100 percent. Mine was tapping for 2 months and it went away annoying sound. but go to the dealership and get it check.
  • red05red05 Posts: 3
    05 Nissan Titan 70 000k my front axle disengage from my differential needed a new assembly. 100 000k my back differential ring and pinion broke had to get a new . 107 000k notice that my shackles for my leaf spring unraveled and lowered my back end 2 inch causing the shackle to rub against the bottom of my bed . My question is, is their people out their with the same problem as i did?
  • r955r955 Posts: 1
    the spider gears break in the rear end, my truck just did this at 126,000 miles, there are no replacement parts available, 2750$ for a new rear end, I live this truck and have had relatively few problems with it, for the money I have to spend repairing it, it is still cheaper than buying an american truck, and it runs MUCH MUCH better than a chevrolet or a Ford in my opinion. things wear out, and we drive it like a racecar, tow with it, and generally abuse it. However we are maintenence freaks, always changing fluids . I would buy another one, but I dont need to I will just continue to maintain this one, much cheaper, even with a new rear end, than the $7200 a year in payments!!!
  • pearsn1pearsn1 Posts: 1
    did you ever get an answer for what was going on with your truck? I am having the same problems and I can't figure it out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • My truck has worked great utill...tonight went to get it and it will try to crank but will not trun over. Drove it all weekend never had a problem. All gauges last night were normal never missed a beat. I tried to jump start it nothing. Not sure the problem. Help please
    There is a recall for what you described. What month was it manufactured in 2005?
    IPDM recall PC068
    Hi, I have 2004 model also,with 109,000 miles and the only thing I had wrong, is the rear diff. seals leaked, But the starting problem you have, Have you checked the crank shaft sensor? If that stops reading,your engine will not start.
  • I have a 2004 Titan that I purchased new. It just turned 70,000 miles. I experienced the same problem a few times a few years ago and searched online for answers after getting no help from the dealer because it wouldn't happen when they had the vehicle. One simple suggestion solved the problem. Just check the level of your brake fluid. It seems that if it gets just a teeny bit low it affects your computer to somehow think something is wrong. I fill it up just to a little above the line and everything is fine as long as I check it every now and then. You say you had a buzzing from the steering wheel area. Perhaps you should check the power steering fluid also becaus maybe that might have the same affect.
    I read your Statement, your so correct!!! on the Brake issue, I changed over to the Brimbo Rotors, The best thing I did after the truck had 75,000 inwhich Nissan taken care of it, Ever since I changed the rotors never had another Brake problem again---I have 109,000 miles on this truck, Bought it brand new in 2004, and runs like a top, Changed to synthetic oil ,Ams oil, at 10,000 miles,again, I have 109,000 and I change the oil every 25,000 miles or one yr, what ever comes first.
  • I took my 04 titan to get an amp and speakers put in, they had the key turned and ran down the battery completely. after charging the battery the truck started but then died. since then it cranks but wont start. any suggestions? :confuse:
    There is a fuse pack on the side of the battery, check to make sure one of those fuses did not blow
    Sounds more like the installer screwed with the security system which now has you locked out thus the no start condition.
  • well the sound shop towed my truck to the dealership and dealership took 3 days to figure it out... they did a relay recall on it. didnt solve the problem then they ordered the ACM that did it... running now... with some idling issues but it running... phew... :) apparently they may have recharged the battery wrong... :confuse: