Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Honda CR-V?

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    It needs still bigger wheels/tires.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The rims ARE bigger. Makes the tires larger and they'll rub the fenders.
  • zzzzzzzz Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know:

1. When will the CR-V SE will be available?

2. Will all CR-Vs have more hp and torque? It's a little on the weak side right now.

3. Will mpg be higher? It's a little right now. I noticed the new 4WD system--will that improve mpg a lot?

4. How much $$$ for the SE?

5. Will the SE be available in any other colors?

6. Will I be able to get tan/off-white leather instead of the black in those pictures?

7. Does anyone know if the new CR-Vs have HID lights?
  • suvtimesuvtime Member Posts: 58
    Nice pictures. I notice there is no antenna shown in any of these shots. I hope they built it into the glass somewhere instead of just removing it like they did for their brochures
    1. Probably late October or November.
    2. Probably not.
    3. Possibly. The new 5 speed automatic transmission might grant a very slight increase.
    4. I'd guess about $2,300 more than the EX.
    5. Pewter is unique to the SE. There will probably be 2 other colors.
    6. The CR-V gets a new "ivory" interior this year. I'd be willing to bet one of the SE colors will have that interior. No idea which one.
    7. It will not.
  • stevengordonstevengordon Member Posts: 130
    Would a new 5-speed automatic transmission be more reliable than the current transmission? Not that the current one is bad; just wondering if 5-speed is a proven unit among Honda vehicles.

Also, how much of an increase in MPG would shifting from a 4- to a 5-speed is reasonable to expect?
    I believe the 5 speed is used with the Accord 2.4l and a variant is used on the TSX. I do not believe it is the same transmission that hooks up the V6 models (which has had problems).

Mpg gain would probably be no more than 1 mpg on the highway cycle, but don't count on it. I expect the upgrade is to improve smoothness, not fuel economy.
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/3333.html

The above links crash test results for the 2005 CR-V. The Govt says the 2005 CR-V doesn't have ABS or traction control.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    The fix that I would like and probably have to wait for the next redesign - more leg room up front and / or tilt and telescoping steering wheel.
    I gotta think that's a typo. I mean, stability control uses ABS sensors to detect wheel slippage. Why would it have those sensors and not use them for ABS purposes?

We haven't seen any mention of traction control, in the rumors. So it's possible that the CR-V doesn't have that feature. It's kind of a silly omission, IMO. But with RT4WD, they may figure it's not necessary.
    When will these be officially released? When will they be at the dealers?
  • carnovice3carnovice3 Member Posts: 5
    Assuming that the summary of changes listed for 2005 is correct, and that automatic transmission will now be standard, does that mean that the CR-V will not be available in a manual transmission? I am interested in some of these new '05 features, but would love to buy a manual. Does that mean that '04 is the last year one is available? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Look nice. Thanks for sharing!
  • suvtimesuvtime Member Posts: 58
    carnvoice3

I think it's only the SE that would not be available with a manual.
  • jmltribjmltrib Member Posts: 20
    Any predictions on how a 5-speed automatic will affect the driving experience in the 2005 CR-V? (Especially considering that the horsepower appears to be staying the same). Just curious. Thanks!
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Well, the gear splits will be a little closer. I would assume 1st gear is a tad lower than it is now, and 5th gear is tad higher than the current 4th gear. That being said, it should be slightly quicker, and the highway mileage should be slightly better.

The key word here is "slightly." I don't expect any dramatic improvements in acceleration or mpg.

Bob
    Could they not solve the clearance issue by jacking up the suspension accordingly? I think, if it were a sedan, that may not be practical, or aesthetically pleasing, but in an SUV, that should be no problem. Besides, I always thought the current CR-V, compared to the previous generation, seems to squat down on its wheels a bit too much.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Could they not solve the clearance issue by jacking up the suspension accordingly? I think, if it were a sedan, that may not be practical, or aesthetically pleasing, but in an SUV, that should be no problem. Besides, I always thought the current CR-V, compared to the previous generation, seems to squat down on its wheels a bit too much."

Only at the cost of stability. I drove several SUVs when shopping. Except for the Forester (which is really more of a station wagon), the CR-V handled the best in turns. I attribute this to the design of the car. Honda has managed to make a fairly tall car very stable in the turn, at the cost of some road noise and comfort. I find it a good combination.

For this reason I don't see stability control as a vital necessity for the current generation of CR-V.
    I think you'd lose quite a bit of suspension travel doing that. And Stevedebi is right about it making the vehicle top-heavy.

Everything is a trade-off. It's really not easy to make positive modifications to a vehicle without having a negative impact on some other feature or attribute.
  • bigredcpabigredcpa Member Posts: 2
    Any word on the prices for the '05s? I expect them to go up since Honda is adding a good bit of standard equipment to the LX.
    A little more information has been surfacing regarding tweaks to the new design.

The 2005 model has a "drive by wire" throttle system. For those of you not familiar with such designs, the pedal is no longer mechanically connected to the input of fuel. Instead, it sends information about the pedal position to the throttle electronically. This allows for some fine tuning of throttle response and has some benefits for things like fuel economy.

According to this source, the new models will be rated 22-27 mpg for the 5 speed automatics. The 5 speed manual CR-Vs will also get a boost of 1 mpg to 22-26.

I find this interesting because the original press material for the 2002 5 speed manuals had them rated at 21-26. This was Honda's estimate based on in-house testing (they use the same test as the EPA). When the EPA tested the CR-V, they gave it a 21-25 rating. The only obvious change for 2005 is the addition of drive by wire.

The drawer under the front passenger seat is gone. They have placed airbag sensors under there and (I assume) didn't want the contents of the drawer to interfere with the sensors.

The new RT4WD system is supposed to react "faster".

There's a new cloth fabric for the non-leather models.

The headlight units include separate bulbs for hi and low beam operation.

The trap table between the front seats is attached to the driver's seat.

There are also new colors and the other stuff that has been mentioned before. No word on pricing.
    Thanks for the good info. When I called American Honda earlier this week they said that the 2005 CR-V was officially introduced earlier this week. The Honda web site has not been updated though.
    I think the dealers are starting to receive brochures.
  • kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    The 2005 model has a "drive by wire" throttle system. For those of you not familiar with such designs, the pedal is no longer mechanically connected to the input of fuel. Instead, it sends information about the pedal position to the throttle electronically. This allows for some fine tuning of throttle response and has some benefits for things like fuel economy.
    Unfortunately I am "familiar" with "drive by wire" throttle system. It may have benefits varmint described, but it also have a drawback - reliability. I got multiple problems with this system on my Volvo GLT just after original warranty expired. Result: about $1,200 + for repairs and at least 5 visits to the dealer.
    Dealer admitted that "drive by wire" throttle system was a bad idea for the car (VOLVO) with a previous phenomenal live span and reliability.
    BMW people have similar problems with "drive by wire" throttle system.
    Hope, CR-V 05 would not have these defects.
    It's been used in the TSX and Euro Accord for a while. Also in several Japanese cars. So, Honda does have some experience with it and I have not read of any problems with those cars. (They could be out there, I just haven't seen them.)

I agree that *any* change has the potential to lead to problems, but the benefits typically outweigh the risks. After all, they said that VTEC was too complicated to make reliable.

*Edit*

Coincidentally, the article linked below suggests that drive-by-wire is more reliable than systms making use of moving parts.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040812.gtwhh- ow12/BNPrint/Technology

"While efficiency was the driving force behind this movement there are a number of other benefits. Electronic throttle control greatly reduces cost and complexity and improves reliability while reducing weight. Eliminating the mechanical elements reduces the number of moving parts and thus the need for maintenance (oiling and adjusting cables)."
    Back in 174, I wrote the following:

"The 5 speed manual CR-Vs will also get a boost of 1 mpg to 22-26."

That should be 21 - 26. It's still a boost of 1 mpg for the highway rating, but the city rating stays at 21.
  • kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    "Drive-by-wire" Volvo problems were apparently caused not by the "wire" itself but by electronic throttle box. If you check on Volvo Edmunds threads - there are multiple complaints about the system after it was introduced in 1999. After it Volvo's reliability took a dive and even CR put it in the category of "Cars to avoid". What was Volvo engineers were thinking?
    Volvo sales took a dive too.
  • jmltribjmltrib Member Posts: 20
    I hope the RT4WD system will react "smoother" too. I used to own a 1998 CRV-EX and while the 4WD system always did its job, it wasn't always the smoothest in doing so. I have a deposit on a 2005 SE so hope it is comparable in quality to the old one. Thanks for all the info varmint!

John
    CR-V LX 2WD 5-Speed Automatic $19,995 23/29
    CR-V LX 4WD 5-Speed Automatic $21,195 22/27
    CR-V EX 4WD 5-Speed Manual $22,450 21/26
    5 Speed Automatic $23,350 22/27
    CR-V SE 4WD 5-Speed Automatic $25,050 22/27

The Honda CR-V Returns for 2005 Updated Styling, New Special Edition Model and an Expanded List of Standard Safety Features
    September 10, 2004 -- Torrance, Calif. -- For the 2005 model year, the CR-V receives a substantial re-design including new exterior and interior styling, additional standard safety equipment as well as the addition of a new Special Edition (SE) model with features such as a leather interior and body-color bumpers. In accordance with Honda's industry-leading 'Safety for Everyone' program, all CR-Vs will now come equipped with a longer list of standard safety equipment including front side airbags, side curtain airbags, and Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with Traction Control

A new addition to the CR-V lineup, the Special Edition is based upon the existing EX trim level with the addition of several new amenities. The SE adds heated leather seats and door mirrors, and a leather steering wheel and shift knob. Externally, the CR-V SE also adds body-colored bumpers, side molding, door handles and hard spare tire cover. Along with the other available exterior colors, Pewter Pearl is exclusively offered on the SE trim.

For the 2005 Honda CR-V, a five speed automatic transmission is standard for all trim levels. Additionally, a new Cam-driven real-time AWD mechanism replaces the previous pump-type system on all models, improving acceleration and hill climbing performance from the previous model. Integrated keyless remote entry is now standard on all CR-V trim levels.

The exterior of the Honda CR-V has a new look for the upcoming model year with newly designed front grill, cylindrical-shaped headlights and aerodynamic front bumper. A new side sill and side protector adorns the side of the CR-V, while newly designed rear combination lights and rear bumper enhance the rear of the vehicle. Additionally, a new Arch flare with one-piece mudguard has been added. Along with the new exterior elements of the CR-V, 16" wheels have also been added for all trim levels, along with a new EX alloy and LX steel wheel designs. Three new exterior colors join the CR-V palate for 2005: Silver Moss, Redondo Red Pearl and Sahara Sand.

Interior features for the CR-V have also been significantly updated for the 2005 model year. On the EX trim level, steering mounted audio controls and outside temperature gauge has been added. Also, all models now feature new retractable grab rails and larger seatback pockets. A new Ivory interior color replaces the Saddle interior color.

For more information and downloadable high-resolution images of the Honda CR-V and other Honda vehicles, please visit www.hondanews.com. Consumer information is available at www.hondacars.com.

http://autodeadline.com/detail?source=Honda&mid=HON2004091060- - 425&mime=ASC
    I don't see auto-off headlights as one of the additions. :(
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Does the base LX model at least have a headlight warning buzzer?
    "Does the base LX model at least have a headlight warning buzzer? "

Huh? I thought all models already had a buzzer if you left your headlights on and opened the driver's door...
    Yeah, all models have a warning buzzer. But, for me personally, it's not foolproof. I think after awhile you mentally tune it out. Or if you're parked in a noisy area, you can't really hear it. Much simpler if the thing just turns itself off. Don't need any fancy delay-off function. Just have it turn off with the ignition.
    the CR-V is unchanged for 2005! So what happened to all the above-discussed changes? Mid-year changes? I have a sneaky suspicion that the changes are actually for the Acura RDX, or the next generation (2007) CR-V.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Haven't you seen "Rebel without a cause"? All of those cars running with the lights on? And with the world in an energy crisis?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Car and Driver is notoriously late to the game on changes and scoops.. part of it is being a monthly magazine.. but, I wouldn't put much stock in what they say..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I like a good skeptic, but this stuff has been published on the Honda media site. Read the first three releases (and look at the pics). =)

http://hondanews.com/CatID2031
    There's C & D in the annual new car round-up, saying the CR-V is unchanged. Something don't add up. If the info is on the Honda media site, why is C & D saying what they are saying? Typo, or are they asleep at the switch?
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Sounds like either they couldn't publish the changes in time or they are asleep at the switch.
    And a six-week lead time for that info to go to press.... And to C&D, 16" wheels and some optional leather might qualify as "no changes". (But, VSA and 5-speed automatic should)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

"And to C&D, 16" wheels and some optional leather might qualify as "no changes". (But, VSA and 5-speed automatic should) "

Not to mention side curtain airbags, which are listed in the Honda releases. Though personally, I suspect a lot of people are going to be pleased with the steering wheel audio controls... it is used daily, whereas VSA and airbags are rarely used.

I don't think the leather is optional - it is standard on the SE trim, but I haven't seen that it will be an option for other trims. Same with color keyed bumpers...
    I read one article suggesting that Honda may consider an EX-L model for the CR-V next year (2006) and on future models. It depends on how well the SE does.

I'm a bit miffed that there is no longer an LX AWD model with a manual transmission, myself. That model was a real bargain and terrific performer. Now you can only get the stick-shift with an EX.
  • barnowlbarnowl Member Posts: 18
    the update to RT4WD sounds good.....cam-driven with more aggressive torque-transfer to rear-wheels (from what i've read)....mostly have been considering subaru outback;

any ideas if this updated rt4wd provides a limited-slip rear-differential?

are there any aftermarket limited slip diffy's ?

...really my off-roading is limited to ski parking lots and the occasional dirt road i.e national parks, getting to a trailhead...

thanks in advance!
    Benevolent despot:

Step on up to the EX next time.. Pamper yourself with the moonroof and alloys... You deserve it!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    Car & Driver is not an authority on these matters, certainly not in this context. Online discussion boards like this are far more up-to-date on changes and detailed facts about vehicles than the mainstream auto media.

The changes to the 2005 CR-V are a fact, confirmed by Honda itself. C&D just got it wrong. They also missed changes to the 2005 Liberty and other vehicles. Since I subscribe to C&D, I wrote them a letter about it.

It's amazing how much people can learn from the Edmunds Town Hall. Car salespeople I talk to know so little about cars, partly because they simply aren't "wired" - they don't participate in the modern world of the internet, Edmunds, etc. They seem to have missed the revolution. The same could be said of the magazine journalists. All they had to do was go to the Edmunds boards, and they would have avoided lots of errors and omissions in the magazine.
    varmint does his self-pampering in his wife's TL :)
    He needs more... maybe a harem?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I have an EX (used to transport my harem). It's a 1999 model, though. But the LX is the more popular trim here in the US. Restricting them to the auto transmission jacks up the price of admission for an AWD CR-V.

With the addition of the less expensive Element on the lots, I can see why they did this. But that LX stick with AWD was a real steal.
  • jeriahjeriah Member Posts: 3
    Do the 04's or 05's have drive seat lumbar support?
  • jbl1jbl1 Member Posts: 6
    any ideas when the 2005's will be at dealerships?
This discussion has been closed.