Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rhinobetsyrhinobetsy Member Posts: 10
    Ours has 16,000 miles on it after 9 months and no signs of uneven wear and tear on the tires. We've taken it in for 5k service three times, so maybe that has something to do w/ it. Three trips from DC to NY, as well as some other long trips, plus some rugged roads, so a good mix of surfaces.
    I concur w/ spockcat that the nav is going to be a disappointment for you - and definitely not worth the $2,000. For $1200, you can get a top-notch Garmin system that works when you're not in the car, too. I have no idea what the engineers were thinking w/ CD-based Nav on a $40k+ car. The incremental cost of a dvd would have been minimal. And NAVTEQ's been making the discs for at least 2 years in the Volvo.

The 20% less expensive Pilot has a much better touch screen system that shows road names and is generally much more accurate. It even has a cute little breadcrumbs feature for when you go off the route - it can show you how to get back from where you came from.
    Does anyone know how to TURN IT OFF WHEN NOT IN MOTION? It drives me nuts. It beeps at you forever if you're parked or have the engine off but the power on.

There are frequent times when I can't turn the engine off but need to the mobility of no seatbelt, but the warning signal goes off. One would think this would be an issue when the car is in motion, but not when parked or even turned off.

I don't know of any other car that is so intrusive w/ it's beeps and dings and warnings. G-d forbid you open the door w/ the headlights on! I wish I knew a tech personally at my dealership so I could see the system settings and make changes to suit my needs!
  • major7major7 Member Posts: 31
    I changed the heated steering wheel fuse and then on the MFI it says "Running Fault". The fuse didn't solve the problem but does the dealer have to reset the "Running Fault" error message now? Thanks, Bob
    I made a mistake and the steering wheel is find and the fuses all work and the fault error went away..Thx Bob
  • tr4drivertr4driver Member Posts: 1
    I am a new Touareg owner and try to get used to the vehicle. I am not able to find any information in regards to any computer info for the need of an oil change. Is such a service interval reminder programmed into any of the different computers? My Audit TT has it, my Buick Rendezvous had it. the standard recommendations of every 5000 miles are not really applicable for my driving (hardly any city driving, over 90% on the freeway). The Buick allowed oil change frequencies around 15,000 miles with that kind of driving. How about the VW? Can anybody give me some info here?
  • andyhyandyhy Member Posts: 3
    While we don't have AC noise, we do have the problem with the remote key access being intermitent. Also, we have been locked out of the car with key in the ignition at a gas pump. Our dealer has installed a special extra key that is in a hiding place under the vehicle. They also have been working with the glitch that causes intermitent trunk response and it seems to work now.
    Recently we complained about excess tire wear to VW America and they replaced our tires for free with a beefier Dunlap set of tires. They were worn past the replacement point at 20,000 miles. Also we have had recurrent issues with the electrical system including tire pressure warning lights with no tire pressure loss, lack of remote key response for trunk, car self locking with key in ignition while gassing it up, GPS clueless in many areas of Vermont and New England. Antenna for radio inoperative when rear defroster is on. We are not happy with general reliability and experience the car as underpowered in the hilly terrain of southern Vermont (V6). I would not buy this car ever again.
    We also have very little mapping in New England. We have been assured that the next set of CDs will be more comprehensive and have been promised these CDs for free. Your dealer SHOULD handle this complaint at least by giving you the new CDs for free when they are issued in 2005. If not, then complain to VW America and they will ensure that this happens. I agree it is false and misleading advertising on a number of fronts including the significantly low power of the six in hilly conditions.
  • sogvet1sogvet1 Member Posts: 2
    anybody know how to tur of the tire message that continues to pop up and beep every ti8me I start the car. I replaced my oem wheels with new and they are not tire monitor wheels......also, I have had my terg to the dealer 11 times in the past 15 months for just about everything electrical. cd deck goes out about every three months..replaced four times......i need help to get this dog replaced
  • rolimborolimbo Member Posts: 2
    I'm a newcomer to the board so I was looking for your expert advice. I was looking to purchase a new 2005 V8 Touareg. I really like the car, but there are always those comments about how VWs have a lot of problems. Anyone have thoughts? Are you happy with yours or would you have gone to a different car had you another chance? Thx.
  • socalfranksocalfrank Member Posts: 11
    Buy a 2004 and save $8000 over a 2005.

Hey anyone know what the 2 little buttons are behind the steering wheels cruise and radio buttons?

They are round little things that push in, but appear to have no function.
  • bostonronbostonron Member Posts: 7
    They are for the heated steering wheel.
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    Actually, one of the buttons is for heated steering wheel, and does nothing if you don't have that option, and the other dims the night lights on the steering wheel.
  • okg0okg0 Member Posts: 7
    The air suspension on my 2004 V8 T-Reg seems to randomly activate when I'm stopped at a light or after the ignition is turned off and the doors are locked. The dealer doesn't seem to have a clue as to how to fix it. Anyone else experience this problem, and if so, is there a fix for it?
    I think it levels itself out from what I have read over the last 6 months. That's why at different times it needs to activate. Thx. Bob
    I had gotten a message indicating my air compressor tank was filling up. I had used it 4-5 times in a row. While it was filling I had shut the Touareg off. Then I got the "run drive" error that said to stop and the suspension stayed in the low position and would not raise to road level.

I read awhile back that they reset this at the dealer or can we do that ourselves? I waited 10 minutes and finally the error went away and the suspension corrected itself and since then has worked fine. Is there anyway to reset this when that happens? Thx. Bob
  • tregownertregowner Member Posts: 26
    I replaced all 4 of my tires last week. Initially, I received the dreaded "defective wheel onboard" prompt for one wheel, and the other three read the pressure ok. I decided to see if it was just a problem in reading the one wheel, so I initiated the store function. The "learning tire pressure" prompt came on, and that's it. All 4 wheels read "ok" on the MFI, but also so 0 pressure. The "learning" prompt will come on, but of course there is nothing to learn, since all of the wheels show 0 for inflation. It would seem as though the computer need to be reset, but who knows. Has anyone experienced this? I can't believe that you need to go to the dealer to get this fixed every time you get new tires......
  • porsche2porsche2 Member Posts: 1
    Its not so silly as you think, In Europe it's by law allowed to have odemeter readings untill 10% over the actual speed.
    This is done to avoid law suits for overspeeding.
    you'll always have a tolerance in the system, new tires warn tires etc.
    When the odometer is giving a higher reading than actual you'll have less chance on a ticket

I don't think Volkswagen will do much about your problem. Maybe you can have the software reprogrammed someware.
    I think you'll have to get used to your speedometer reading.
    If a customer doesn't measure this, he'll never know.
  • karklin1karklin1 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2005 Touareg V8 everything works great but there is no power in the 12 Volt outlets except the one in the ashtray compartment does anyone know if there is a switch to turn them on?
         Thank you very much Leo-K
  • dutyduty Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking for a deal on a 2004 SUV.
    Chevy and GMC have great deals on Tahoes and Denalis. My wife didn't not like them too big. It would have been more convient for me to have one of those since the dealer is very accessable,
    whereas the VW dealer is not. I found a dealer that has too 2004 V8's in stock not easy to find.I test drove the vehicle this past sunday and was impressed over all with the appearance, finish , fit, handling etc. I have struck a deal to purchase a Touraeg V8 w/ navigation and convience package for $41,500.00 , without the navaigation and other package $37,600.00. I too have much concern over the reliability and service of the vehilce . Many of the web sites
    including MSN chat room on Touareg have about 50%
    saying they love them and the rest saying they
    can't get parts electrical problems , down time in repairs are long. I asked the sales manager
    if the dealership would contractually agree to give my money back in full if any elcetrical problems or drive train problems occur during the first 30 days after purchase and they agreed,
    I am also going to ask them for free loner car if I need to take my car into repair, Idon't know
    if they will accept that or not but I think it would be important. I believe that if VW wants to play in the Luxury car market they need to treat their customers much better. I am now thnking of whether to go thru with the deal or not. I have not tested some other options ie. Honda Pilot, Infiniti, Lexus, etc. In summary see if you can get the dealer to add to the contract some of the items I mentioned earlier.
    Duty
  • socalfranksocalfrank Member Posts: 11
    I too have noticed the optomistic speedometer reading. I set the computer speed warning to 80mph, and it seems to take 87MPH on the speedometer before I get the little dinging sounds and max speed exceeded warning.

Another problem I have noticed is when I am decelerating, I see feel and hear the engine rev up almost as if I had stepped on the gas. It is brief, but it jerks the car slightly and I am concerned that this "unintended accelleration" could cause an accident.
    Anyone else experience something similar?
  • maplecrestmaplecrest Member Posts: 1
    As a new Touareg V8 owner I will occasionally park the car on the street in Manhattan. The front of the car seems rather unprotected against careless fellow parkers and I would like to install a grill guard or similar. VW does not offer any product that could help. Where could I find such a guard? Any advice how and where to install it? Thank you.

Maplecrest
  • aokvwaokvw Member Posts: 3
    I don't think it's unintended acceleration, but rather the transmission software doing some "rev-matching" during the downshifting process. my V8 does the same. weird sensation at first, getting used to the automatic, as i have always driven manual transmissions and do the rev-matching myself. what a powerful V8 in such a weighty vehicle, isn't it? going from the 90 hp diesel to the Touareg- oh WOW!

Mike
  • aokvwaokvw Member Posts: 3
    you sure don't sound happy with yours. about the tire wear; are you frequently off road in the vehicle? my 2004 V8 is (knocking wood) flawless thus far but for intermittent tire pressure monitoring system fault indicators- no pressure loss at all though. my Continental tires, used almost exclusively highway just far, at 12000 miles are wearing not at all! i am wondering about tire wear vs. applied usage of the vehicle.
  • gjwgjw Member Posts: 1
    I also have a V8 and I had the exact same problem with hard downshifting.

I took it in to the dealer I purchased the vehicle from and they fixed the problem. Apparently the transmission needed an adjustment.

I am happy to say I haven't had the problem since!

Good Luck!
  • 1rocketman1rocketman Member Posts: 1
    I’m looking to get a trailer hitch for my V8 Touareg. A VW dealer will do it for around $1000. It seems crazy to pay that much, but I can’t seem to find anybody that can do the wiring. I checked around and most other hitch installation places say they can do the hitch but not the wiring. I did find one place, which said they could do it all for around $300, but I am concerned since no one else but the dealer seems able to do it. Has anyone gone outside the VW dealership to have one put in? Will it void the warranty if I go elsewhere (I’m worried about the wiring)?

Any comment would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • darcydogdarcydog Member Posts: 3
    Wow - Lots of negative commments about the V-8 Touareg? For someone who just placed an order, can I get some good news from new owners? How do you like the car?
  • lummerlummer Member Posts: 2
    Get it...it's the greatest combination of fine European luxury sedan & SUV heft
  • lummerlummer Member Posts: 2
    I love mine!
  • darcydogdarcydog Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply. I agree with you and after spending time with a number of dealers and car enthusiasts at The Philadelphia Car Show this past weekend, I am even more convinced that the Touareg is the best SUV out there.
  • rower2rower2 Member Posts: 22
    This is pretty minor but I've been looking for ski racks for my Touareg. They are sold through drivergear but the adapter kit is out of stock until March 15th. Has anybody had any luck finding racks that fit on the existing bars? Thanks.
    Good question. When ski season started in November, VW had neither the ski rack or adaptor, with an expected date of Jan. 15, 2005. It sounds like they were optimistic. VW has a ways to go to be on top of things.

In order to solve my problem, I bought the Tule system (about $600 with everything). Expensive, but very slick. They clip on and off in about 15 seconds, leaving only four little brackets on the roof. That way I dont have to use the rack unless I'm headed up the hill.

I took the factory roof racks off the day I bought the car and they have not been back on since. I like the look of the car without the racks. A lot less wind noise too. Of course, I would have used them if the VW ski rack system was available, as it is about $350, if I remember rightly. Very pleased with the Tule system. REI was pleased to see me coming, too.
  • toureg2004toureg2004 Member Posts: 1
    My T-reg has only 10000 miles on it. The check engine light comes on and stay on for days at the time. The dealer has been unable to find the problem. They have run computer diagnostic and everything appears to be ok but the check engine light keeps coming on. Does anyone out there has a clue about this issue? Is it a known problem with this SUV? Is there TSB addressing this annoying issue?

tks

er
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have this happen on two different cars now, not Touaregs, and both times it happened because I didn't tighten the gas cap enough. On these cars you had to turn it so that it clicked a number of times. Each time I called the dealer and they said it would go off in a few hundred miles. Just tighten the cap.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Shouldn't it throw off a code that the dealer can pull off the car? Even a loose gas cap will generate a specific code that'll get stored, from what I've read around Edmunds.

Steve, Host
  • rdprdp Member Posts: 2
    Gasoline can be the culprit.Believe it or not,fuel type and brand can be a problem. You may have fowled the injectors... Try adding some injector cleanner to your next load of gasoline... Also, switch brands of gasoline... I have a friend that kept getting his engine light on.... The dealer thought he might need engine work... went to a local mechanic and was advised to run some injector cleanner and get away from Sohio/BP premium.... Went to Shell gasoline...The engine light has stayed off after 3 loads of Shell premium.... who knows, you may have gotten a bad load of gasoline.....
  • clementnclementn Member Posts: 1
    I was in the exact same position as you are. Spend the money! The mechanical part of the installation is straight forward. The wiring harness and SOFTWARE is what's critical. The lights are monitored for functionality by the cars computer. Certain functions are dealer programable.
    At first, I too thought it was crazy expensive. Now I'm glad that I had the dealer do the installation.
    The standard trailer safty hooks don't fit the hitch., but otherwise it is an elegent option.
    You'll be pleased.
  • charliesudburycharliesudbury Member Posts: 2
    Tire wear is a SERIOUS problem with my 2004 V8 (Continentals). Just passed 10,000 miles and the front tires have only 1/32 left (approx 1,500 at current wear rate) which is abysmal! Dealer is dueling with VW for the past TWO! months and still no word back as to whether they will make an adjustment like they did for you. (Otherwise I love the car, except see for separate post on wiper blades.)
  • charliesudburycharliesudbury Member Posts: 2
    Just replaced the front wiper blades (no surprise, after one year). Proposed bill was $39 per blade (VW price) + ~$20 labor + tax for a total of about $100 for two blades. This is utterly astonishing! (Dealer kindly dropped the installation charge.)

p.s. If I had done the rear wiper, it would have been even more!
  • flat6flat6 Member Posts: 1
    I have been towing a Uhaul cartrailer (surge brakes) and car (about 4700 lbs) with my V6 T-reg with no issues. However, now am the happy recipient of my personal car hauler with electric brakes. I have the factory towing setup, but would like some specific advise on installing an electric brake controller (incl model etc) - seems like some sort of electric towing upgrade was done at my recent service - Seems like gerr and spockcat have something figured out. Can someone share the details with me so I can use the e-brakes... Thanks!
  • russianrussian Member Posts: 3
    This question is for a Touareg enthusiast who likes to ski. Recently I decided to go ski in the local mountains and according to the whether report I had to have chains. I bought the set of cables for my Pirellis 255/55 R18 tires and practice to put them on front tires as the user manual instructed. To my surprise I notices that the gap between the cables and air suspension sensors is really small and if the cables will become loose just a little bit will cause the damage to the sensors and will cost thousands of dollars to repair. Of course I did not use the chains this time but what if I need to use them in the future and how people in northern region of US handling this situation vs. Southern California.
    Please advice.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I don't know about making chains work, but you would get better snow performance by switching to a 16" rim, slightly narrower all season tire, or even a winter performance tire like a winter dueler or nokia. something like a 235/70R16 or 245/70R16. You would probably limit your chances of getting stuck with better/different aspect ratio tires for snow. The 235/70s would be within a 1/10 of an inch of stock height.
  • brazzbrazz Member Posts: 3
    My problem sounds a bit different from those I have read. When I travel at 80 mph+ and not below, I get an extremely loud vibration noise throughout the car. It always lasts between 15-20 seconds, then slowly goes away. It will re-occur every few minutes if I maintain that speed. It does not happen when I travel below 80 mph. It sounds like I am riding over the safety bumps that are on the side of the highway, only 10 times louder. Any ideas??
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    When's the last time you had all four tires balanced and rotated? Might also be a bad wheel hub(s).
    I should have added that it is a 2005 and have only 10,000 miles on.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Those items are still possibilities. Since you normally drive at 80+MPH, it's not unreasonable to imagine that you could've thrown a weight or two. And manufacturers do make mistakes. Take it in and see what the dealer says.

Keep us posted. I follow the Touareg boards closely since my girlfriend is considering getting one in the future.
    Thanks, I will. Also, 80+ mph is the exception, not the rule...lol.
  • hazmat703hazmat703 Member Posts: 3
    [Note: I am posting this in two discussion topics in hopes of getting replies]

I have a one month old 2005 VW Touareg (Base V-6, No NAV) and, for the most part, the vehicle has been fine. One issue that I have and would like input from others on is the Radio. When I test drove the vehicle and when I drove it off of the lot, the radio displayed station call letters, song names and artists for most of the FM stations. From what I gather on this BB, this is called RDS (radio display system?). My wife's Audi A4 has the same feature and it always has worked fine. With the Touareg, however, this feature stopped working after 2 days - the radio worked fine, just no song or station information whatsoever. I took it back to the dealer and they popped the radio out and put it back in, but they told me that they would order me a new radio. Popping the radio out worked for about 2 days and then it stopped working again. I then left the vehicle with my dealer who installed a new radio. The RDS worked for about a week and then stopped working. I called the dealer and after a week, they just called back to report that they had spoken to a VW USA Engineer who said the problem can not be fixed. The radio was designed for the European market, the radio has some form of memory in it and when the memory fills up with the station and song information, it then stops working, and there is no way to delete or "dump" the memory without taking the radio out and re-installing it. My dealer said to check back in a few months to see if something has changed and whether VW has a new solution to this problem.

I would like to hear from others on (1) whether they have had this problem (i.e., RDS stops working entirely) and (2) is there any other solution to fixing it? Anybody replace their radio entirely?
    Forget changing rims. That would screw up the handling that was designed into your car. For a SoCal driver, I would suggest making sure your tires are in good condition and marked M&S. I have the V6 with the Dunlops, which I understand are a little better than the Pirelli Zeros in the snow. Winter tires are a waste for the occasional trip to the mountains from an area that is almost tropical year round. If you think the stock tires wear out fast, wait till you see how winter only tires wear in warm weather.

I go skiing all the time with my Touareg in Colorado and never have an issue with traction, and lately, my tires are approaching the wear bars. I also go 4wheeling up to my shooting range through a foot of snow on a couple of miles of unplowed jeep road with no problems. Just put it on off road suspension setting and go. I turn off the stability control off-road, but leave it on on the highway. If you need chains, what you really need is a snowplow. This car has incredible traction.

The key to driving on snow and ice is to remember that stopping a 5500 pound truck is your biggest challenge, so keep your speed reasonable for conditions.