Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    Something is definitely not right. Have you had the tranfer case replaced under recall? I've cruised well over 80 for many miles and never had issues.
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    Does anyone have any thoughts as to the 05 touareg being more reliable than the 04? We will be leasing soon and have had great luck with toyota. My wife really loves the touareg but I'm going to try to talk her in to an MDX if The reliability factor hasn't gone up. Any thoughts would be appreciated, FYI, Consumer reports Has put out a 2005 guide, but it only gives a review on the 04 which is less than good as far as reliability.
  • cat3126cat3126 Member Posts: 43
    I have a 05,v-8,with air suspension,etc with 8k miles and have had zero problems. The only time I have been back to the dealer was for the 5k oil change.
    All the things that have gone wrong on my 2004 V6, air susp., pp2, xenon and prem. sound Touareg have been fixed to my satisfaction and are the type of things that if VW is paying attention (and I think they are) should not be problems in a 2005. That said, do not expect japanese car reliability. VW needs a track record that it has not earned yet. On the other hand, if you believe a car is more than an appliance, you'll love the Touareg. It has way more "soul" than any SUV from Honda or Toyota. It is clearly a german car.
    Thanks so much. I am a big fan of Acura but after driving the touareg I thought the same thing. More soul in the T-reg. It's hard though because Acura just seems to do so many things right, and a great financial value as well. I do wish the Touareg had the same punch as the Acura but I understand it's a different car with a different mind set in philosophy. Can't afford the v8 in the Touareg either. One is going to get my money soon. It will come down to which one my wife likes better. Thanks all for input, more is welcome.
  • uafly1uafly1 Member Posts: 25
    I had the same problem. Except my stopped working on the way home from the dealer. My CD player is eating cd's. So I have an appointment to bring it in. When I called they said it sounded like they would have to order me a new radio. I am in no rush to go back to the dealer, so I have to keep you posted.
  • thgdnmsrgnthgdnmsrgn Member Posts: 14
    Annoyed,

I found the seat belt warning will stop by itself after about 6 warnings ;)
    2004 VW TORTURE REG 11,000 miles
    We have all kinds of problems. Towed in twice. Something is draining the battery. Symptoms- starts with the Nav/Radio system. There is something in that area that will keep running when the car is turned off(Its not the CD). Then the warnings start popping up like the gas cap, tire pressure etc. (tire pressure and gas cap are OK.) Then the comfort controls will start to disappear in the dash controls. Next the battery is dead and it gets towed. We are currently into our third sequence of this mystery.

Also there is a humming noise in the front driver side foot well area any time the climate controls are indicating the temp. (The fan is not running at this point). Very annoying!

And unless I am standing next to the car the remote key does not lock or unlock. The dealer said they have replace the transmitters, but still does not work.

Had to have the power steering motor replaced. I would turn into a parking space and the thing would shake and make a noise like the motor fell out.

FOR SALE VW TORTURE REG Looks great!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I know you're just venting, but no buying and selling on Edmunds please. And you'd have to do a much different ad than that to get any interest!

Seriously, try opening a case with VW and perhaps they'll lean on your dealer to make thing better.

Steve, Host
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    2 Words: Lemon Law!!! :lemon:
  • ray2ray2 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 V8 Touareg is in the shop for 20,000 mile service. In addition the following items were noted for correction

1. The Tire pressure monitoring system is not working and shows a warning light even though all tires are at the recommended pressure (third time this has happened)

2. The two passenger side tires are wearing prematurely. The tires on the driver side are OK. The car has done 20,000 miles but the rear passenger tire has only done 10,000 miles. The original tire suffered a nail side wall puncture (in my garage).

3. The clip holding the inner storage pocket of the glove compartment has broken off.

4. The cover over the rear window wiper has broken off.

5. The clip covering the key lock on the roof rack has broken off

6. Cover on the rear set belt buckle has broken. (This happened when the rear seat cushion was folded over to increase rear cargo space).

I have been advised to replace the two tires ($520 plus alignment cost of $190). VW claim this is a result of incorrect alignment. This they claim is probably due to hitting a pothole! This is an SUV for goodness sake! If hitting a highway pothole, unbeknownst to the driver, results in two tires wearing out in under 10,000 miles than there is something wrong here. The car has never been off road and has done only highway miles. Previously I owned two Landrover Discoveries, covered over 60,000 in each and have never even noticed tire wear never mind having to replace the tires.

On the question of the multiple clips that have fallen off, their answer again was that these are not covered under warrantee.

The cost of the roof rack clip I understand is $75, The rear windscreen wiper is available only as a compete assembly and costs $350 , the rear seat belts also have to be completely replaced and this is another $300 or so.

Why should I have to pay for things falling off my $45,000 two year old car and why does it require compete replacement of the units with all the attendant labor charges? New covers could be clipped in place by me in 5 minutes!

Has anyone else had a similar experience with tire wear? Any advice as to the next step?
  • blaskyblasky Member Posts: 15
    Hi -
    I am in the same predicament. Have been driving my 4runner for the past 12 years and no problems whatsoever.... NONE. But now that I want a new car, im not so sure I want to be in another toyota for 5-6 years. Toyota is the logical choice over VW (less expensive, less to maintain, 100% reliable... etc...). But i really like the styling of the VW and nothing is screaming "buy me" at the moment. While I know all cars may have problems, I am a bit weary since VW might be still working out the kinks. No sense buying a car that is not only "not-proven" but actually disproven by Consumer Reports and actual users of this board. Also, I've heard from multiple people that VW service department (multiple dealers) has yet to realise that their customers are not all $20K jetta drivers anymore - with Touaregs and Phaetons well in the $50K range - and expect decent customer service.

Curious to know what you decided.
    I have pretty much decided that the MDX is our best bet. I have done tons of research into this. The car you get for the money with Acura is just to much to pass up. The best way to describe the MDX is, there are no 5 stars in any catagory but every catagory is a 4 star. I think the only thing keeping Volkswagon going is Audi. I hope they can get bugs worked out soon. I have lots of friends that have VW's and they are pulling there hair out.
    My wife is a resident physician and the last thing she needs is her car crapping out on the way home from a 36 hour shift. Not that we are sure the MDX will never have problems, but I think you play the odds and reduce them down quite a bit with a good ol Japanese car.
    Drive the MDX. It is a fabulous suv. My brother-in-law bought a 2001 with 60k and he says it is as quiet and smooth as the day the previous owner drove it off the lot.
    Best of luck......Dan
  • bradsterbradster Member Posts: 6
    I have just purchase a '05 V6 T-reg and love it. I have only had it for a month but I have had no issues and don't expect any major ones in the future. When people compare a Japanese automobile to a German automobile, I laugh. Besides the size and or maybe the cost they have nothing in common. The Japanese vehicles compared to German vehicles in their class are boring, boring, boring. The MDX interior is horrible. German vehicles are meant for people who have a passion for driving, along with first class interiors and exteriors. If you want a taller Camary or Accord buy the RX330 or MDX. Let’s not talk about their off-road capabilities.

It is very easy for everyone to defend why they purchased their vehicle. Rather it’s reliability or lack there of. Our T-reg is my wife’s primary vehicle and she drives 40 miles a day (big deal). You should simply enjoy every second in your vehicle, buy what you love. If reliability is an issue, make the dealer guarantee in writing that they will provide a loaner.
    If you had read my above post's you would see that I agree with the fact that German cars are different from Japanese. German cars are for driving enthusiasts.
    Now as far as your ridiculous statement about the dealer providing a loaner. Anyone is going to do that under warrenty. The fact that your having to do that constantly with a 35k plus vehicle is crazy but, if that's what you want to spend your time doing then knock yourself out. If it was for me I would probably buy an audi, But my wife doesnt have time for ridiculous problems. As far as the MDX's interior being horrible, that is your opinion. I found that both the MDX and the Volkswagon have very nicely apointed interiors. When I see people compare car choices based on two different lifestyles i laugh. Have fun driving your loaner..
  • soulman71soulman71 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a used V6. Generally happy, nice car. Yes engine undersized, but we knew that before we purchased this 1.5 yr., 20,000 mile-car. Questions: Are following symptoms normal?

1) Front lights are permanently on, when engine runs. No difference when switching the "beam light switch" on.

2) Pump-Noise below dashboard right side, when stopping, parking, using the brakes. Seems to be a loud "hydraulic charge pump". Can that be? When I asked service they said all Touregs make that noise.

3) Convenience-Setting are gone after some hours. Is there an internal battery (other than the regular one) that needs to be replaced by service.

4) Average mpg display only shows static value. Never changes until you scroll through the MFI. Seems weird..

Thanks,
    Pete
  • blaskyblasky Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for your response. I too am leaning further away from the VW. It is GREAT looking car, but sounds like the odds are at the end of the day you might end up with a great looking piece of junk! I am not a car snob, and find the acuras/lexus's nice cars, but def. not as fun to drive. However, the idea of having to negotiate a loaner seems rediculous. Even Acura, who sells plenty of $20-30K priced cars gives loaners and you dont have to twist their arm. As for the enthusiasts who say the VW is a far superior vehicle, i am still asking myself, if it was so superior why are there so many posts on this board like this. Seems VW released this a bit too early, and who knows, maybe the 2004's are giving the newer models a bad rap.

One thing I dont understand though (and i dont mean this as a jab at VW, but i am really curious) but can anyone explain the horrible resale value on the 2004's? Seems odd that any car would loose approx 20-25% of their value in just one model year.

Thanks... B
    I don't know for sure but I would guess that you are correct as far as the 04 models giving a bad reputaion. If you look at the infiniti fx, it doesn't have great resale either. I fell in love with the T-reg on a 10 minute test drive. My wife loves how it looks. It just seems like a big risk. Nobody will report on the 05's yet. [I guess they haven't been out long enough for any conclusions] If consumer reports and more forums like this can sing a different tune between now and the end of august I will reconsider. I kind of hope things change, what a great car the T-reg is. But if I had to buy today? No question. MDX. Audi is coming out with there version in a year or two. That will be pretty sweet. By that time the wife will be in private practise and she can afford anything she wants...Don't stop researching and digging. Maybe things will turn around for us tentative T-reg buyers. Best of luck to all shoppers. Ain't car shoppin grand? :)
    The headlights are always on. That is what the DRL (daytime running lights) display is in your dash is. Not sure about the brights, never had to use them.

We do not have a noise in the front rightside dash. But do on the left side, It drives me crazy.

The convenience setting will disapear when you are driving the car. You must be stoped in order for it to work. Otherwise there is something wrong.

Not to sure about the mpg deal.

Hope this helps you a little.
  • rlbmanrlbman Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 VW Touareg had unusually high tread wear after about 14000 miles. The dealership confessed that the first 23000 or so Touareg's produced all had alignment problems. They replaced my front tires and aligned the car. I have to keep an eye on it though as after another 20000 miles its out of wack again and in the shop. Your VIN number will tell you if you are one of thse affected. Odd that there has not been a recall.
  • pittsypittsy Member Posts: 15
    I too had a wind whistle and at around 70 mph and a "shudder" that felt like a wheel out of balance. I had the roof racks together at the rear of the roof, noticed that the racks do not touch, there is a quarter inch gap between the racks. For a lark I taped up the gap with duct tape, top and bottom and the noise and "shudder" went away. Next I split the racks, moved the front rack forward to next indent and same thing, no whistle no shudder. Does not look as good as with both racks together but got rid of the anoting noise.
    Curt Manufacturing now has an aftermarket hitch for the Toureg. On the internet for $129.00. I called Curt and they said installation is about 90 minutes, The Bumper,Tail Lights and Bumper Beam need to be removed. I spoke with my local trailer shop, he took a look and didn't think it was a big deal. On order, I'll do a post to let everyone know how it went. $800. less than VW so I can put up with a little agrivation.
    Here's the deal. Get rid of those silly roof racks. They look stupid together in the back, and they look stupid without being used to carry something (skis, bikes) which you can't do because VW does not have the attachments available, or at least they didn't 5 months ago. They do absolutely nothing to keep the rear window clean. The car looks much better without them. They come off in about 2 minutes. No more weird noises. I had the dealer take them off before I took delivery. They sit in my basement, virgins.

Because of the above, I bought the whole Tule enchilada for skis and bikes, and boy is it slick. It comes off/goes on in a minute. The mounting stubs are hardly noticeable and easily removed and replaced if they do bother you.
    Dave
    If anybody finds a link to the hitch site, please post. If the part is decent, I have no need to spend an extra $800 (or more) at my local dealer. Remember there is some sort of a recall (at least for 2004's) that has to do with the electronics and towing that you'll have to have done by the dealer if you put a hitch on. I've been holding off to see if someone would come up with a reasonably priced alternative to Vw's part.
  • chunnelchunnel Member Posts: 1
    I've already Lemoned one Touareg and am about to try to lemon the '05 they gave me. Trust me when I tell you that VW will not help and will fight every problem to the end by saying that the "vehicle is operating within normal parameters." Call Norman Taylor and Associates, you can find them online. I used them for the '04 and will used them for the '05. If they accept your case, out of pocket costs are $750. I got nowhere with VW and one letter from the attorney and VW gave in.
  • britboyintnbritboyintn Member Posts: 2
    I am a Realtor just South of Nashville, TN in a well developed suburban area. A T'reg with Nav (I thought) would be cool and fun for clients and also to help me with those occaisonally unfamiliar areas.

I was so close to Buying a used T'reg today until I tried out the NAV.

One word, "WORTHLESS".

It didn't know the street where my personal home was - it's been around since 1999 and the discs were the 2003 set - infact in the well devloped suburb of Franklin, all it knew were the main roads.

What made it worse is that when I asked the dealer principal about this, he and the other salespeople scattered like roaches in a flashlight beam! Somehow I think they knew that this was a waste too - though not one of them professed ANY knowledge of how to use the NAV system anyway.

Am I really missing something here or is the Nav something that just looks good and is for those with more money than sense?
  • britboyintnbritboyintn Member Posts: 2
    After further research I discovered that later in 2005 models the T'reg will have a new DVD based nav system.

In other words, "yes, the Nav something that just looks good and is for those with more money than sense." and VW know it too!
    Thanks for the update. If my nephew asks, I'll tell him to wait (he's building houses over near Murfreesborough).

Steve, Host
  • cris1cris1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I am considering a new 2005 T-reg and seem to be getting an excellent deal on paper. I love the body type and have test driven the MD, X5, XC90, ML. I am so confused!!!

anyone have any advise on the T-reg. All the reviews on this board seem to be horrible. :cry:
    I have an answer for you, DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!!!! :lemon:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Keep in mind that a Forum with the title "Problems & Solutions" will not provide a representative sample of customer satisfaction. You may want to participate in VW Touareg SUV for a more general discussion of the vehicle.

tidester, host
    Need more information on what is important to you about a car. If it's styling only, I too would pick the Touareg (I did, but not only based on styling), with the X-5 a close second. If it's reliability, you probably want a Japanese car. Although the routine maintenance on Japanese cars is no bargain. I've not driven the brand new ML, but the old one was a dog, way too much money for a pretty mediocre car in many respects. I sat in the new one at the auto show. I couldnt help thinking I was in a Jeep, or worse, a minivan. The ML is not cheap either. You pay for the star on the hood. The star left the building about 15 years ago. Just my opinion.

The MDX is ok and nice to drive, but kind of blah and very common. I honestly dont see why anyone would buy one over a Honda Pilot EX and save enough money to take a couple cruises. Also not good for off-road or towing. If that's important, you need the Touareg or maybe the ML, or something else not on your list. If all you really need is an upscale all wheel drive station wagon with no heavy duty stuff, have you looked at the Lexus RX330? I would choose that over the Acura.

I've owned several pre-ford Volvos and they were good cars, but not very reliable. Cost a fortune to keep on the road, mainly brakes and electical issues. Comfortable and satisfying to drive though. I am not a Ford fan, so I can't imagine that the marriage was good for Volvo. Most people that I know that own newer Volvos do not replace them with Volvos, like old Volvo owners used to. Maybe that tells you something.

You can check some of my previous posts in this and the main Touareg board to get some reflections on owning the car for a year. I really like it. It is different from all of the above, but not perfect. Hope this helps.
  • djocksdjocks Member Posts: 124
    I am seriously considering a t-reg.

To all, can you tell me what you have been getting for MPG on both the v8's and v6's. Please let me know which you are driving.

Thanks,
    djocks
  • mmachadommachado Member Posts: 1
    I am going to arbitration regarding replacement of my Touareg. I have owned the car for a year and a half, car has been into dealer for 22 days. Replaced tire monitor module 5 times, tire sensors twice. Remote entry has never work, dealer has tried to repair over 5 times. Original set of tires failed after 20K miles, dealer did not offer to replace. How many others are experiencing the same problems? Tire monitor is particularly troublesome, shows fault or tire failure on highway, had to pull off road to check, no problem, but condition unsafe. VW offered one months car payment and another chance to fix. I have had it.
    http://www.drophitch.com/ about $260.00 U.S. delivered with Customs, shipping and tax. Also get a Hoppy 46365 wiring harness from NAPA at $65.00 U.S - Self powered and does not screw up Tourag wiring sensors.
    I wouldn't place a lot of emphasis on the tires wearing out at the hearing (if that's what you mean by failed). 20,000 miles of useful life on OEM tires isn't all that unusual.

Steve, Host
    Tire problems are a persistant problem, I have to reset my monitor every month or so. Biggest problem is in winter when Trg goes from heated garage to cold. However I did have a flat once and it picked it up right away, I ignored it as I thought it was just another fault. Now I am coping with a persistant Headlight Aiming failure. Just orderd new headlight sensors.
    Check out the Mio PDA http://www.mio-tech.com/ - All of the U.S. and Canada Maps on CD that you can download to a SD card, voice activated and a bargan at $499.00 and you can move it from car-to-car. I would not touch a factory DVD system, a waste of money.
    I also have a remote key troubles. Sometimes it does work, but alot of the time I can not lock the doors unless I push the bottom on the door handle.

Also have 12,000 miles and alot of tire wear. The monitor has gone of for a flat and also when nothing was wrong. And same thing with the gas cap monitor.

Anyone have the A/C smell BAD?
    I feel your pain. I've had the tire monitor problem twice. No problems in many months. Remote entry is better since they repositioned the antenna. Every once in awhile (rarely) it just refuses to work and I have to use the old fashioned method to lock or unlock the car. It then works a few minutes later. I could do without remote entry anyway, but since I have it, it should work as flawlessly as does my six year old Oldsmobile. In my opinion, your problems are fixable, you just need someone who cares at VW to get it done. 22 days out of service is a drag. Don't they give you a loaner at the dealer?

H-rated tires wear fast. This is a heavy car. My tires are toast at 23k and I expected that. That is the price you pay for being able to cruise at ungodly speed and have decent snow and off road traction too. My Dunlop SP8000's were rated 200AA, so no surprise on quick wear. Tire performance was otherwise excellent. There are tires with much higher wear ratings that fit the car. Generally they dont get the good reviews for traction, quietness or ride. I will be replacing tires soon, thinking of Pirelli Scorpion Zeros (which were OEM), Pirelli Scorpion STR, or maybe the Dunlops again, although they run about $50 more per tire and have lower wear rating. Anybody have an opinion?
  • vwsuvproblemsvwsuvproblems Member Posts: 3
    I have owned my Touareg since November 2003. I am soooooo frustrated beyond belief and grateful to have found this forum with others experiencing the same problems. What is up with the tire monitoring system? Mine has all of a sudden disappeared from the display console and warnings are appearing. First, check the pressures then to flat tire. Checked everything and it was fine but monitoring system has disappeared and warnings are appearing. The tires have worn beyond belief and all I do is city driving. When I make a parking turn a strange noise occurs as if the engine will drop out. Tell me more in regards tot his arbitration. How do we get involved. Also, has anyone experienced all the dash paint completely stripping off. As in by the radio controls, ac controls etc. Another problem is putting down the back seats. It is so hard to do and a nightmare! Next is the gas mileage......geez I am constantly at the gas station. Why isn't there a way to switch it out of 4 wheel drive all the time? One last thing is the seatbelt reminder "dinging". I am all for the purpose of it but enough is enough. I get in my car to start the day and am immediately annoyed by that dinging. I put my seatbelt on always but I do not need to be reminded. Taking to dealer tomorrow with a list of problems and will relay that it is not me and my driving causing these problems. I am so mad! I bought a new car to get rid of problems not begin more!!
    How do you rest the tire monitoring system?
    Sorry, I mean re-set the tire monitoring system?
    Sounds like we have the same TORTURE REG (as I call it). The steering noise is the need to replace the differential motor. Ours was replaced in Feb 2005.(I thought the engine feel out too!)

I just took the car this past week with a list of problems that the dealer can not duplicate. Key remote, remotely works, A/C smells, and tire monitor, just a few of the items listed. Also everyone take a look at the wood trim on the doors, they are cracking and is a warranty issue. And the glove box latch that holds the manual is defective when it will not stay closed.
    I was told to call VW of America at 800-822-8987.http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxico- ns/emotorcons/emo_sick.gif
    To reset the tire monitor:
    Make sure you check your tire pressure first and that is correct pressure according to a gage.
    Start car- close door
    Push the lower (right side) button on steering wheel till the dash screen changes to "CONV SET"
    Scroll down using the thumb wheel (middle knob, right side on steering wheel) till you get to "TIRE PRESS"
    Push the thumb wheel.
    Then it will say "MON PRESS" and "STORE" Go to which ever one you want to do.
    "STORING" will reset the system TO THE TIRE PRESSURE THAT IS IN THE TIRE NOW.

Hope that helps.
  • alexcabalexcab Member Posts: 1
    I drive a '01VW Beetle and noticed one day that I could increase the range of operation of my Key Fob. I know it sounds kind of silly but I put the Key Fob against my chin! Maybe its my big ears or nose but the doors or hatch will unlock at greater distance when I do this!! :D
    Wonder if this would help any of the T-Reg sibling owners' having problems w/locks?
  • mml7mml7 Member Posts: 55
    A couple of things:

1) make sure your tires are cold before doing this. Don't do this if you've already driven the car around.

2) After selecting "Store" in the MFI, you must drive your car around for a short period so that it can learn the cold and warm pressure.
  • cpricecprice Member Posts: 2
    I have the tire problem. I was told that I can expect 20,000 miles on a set of original equipment tires on my T-rag by the Volkswagon dealership when I took it in for service(oil change25k). I think this is ridiculous for a tire that cost $200+
    I tried the key remote to the chin trick, and it seems to work! Maybe it's a hight thing.
    Thanks for your imput
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Your body is a giant waterball. It probably has to do with magnetics and conductivity of your body. I have worked a lot with wireless computer technology and human bodies can help/hinder communications depending on the circumstance and technology.