Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Touareg Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• spockcatspockcat Member Posts: 100
    It isn't right for the Touareg V8. Scheduled maintenance is every 10k, not 5k. Oil should be 8 quarts of synthetic which will cost more than the $20 quoted. The oil filter is more than $14.

As for the labor costs, my dealer, Crowley in Plainville, CT hasn't charged nearly anywhere those prices.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please Contact the data people so they can fix it. Here's how the labor rates are figured:

How are the labor rates calculated for the Maintenance Guide?

Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • bmh2bmh2 Member Posts: 1
    Is there any way to make the dial on the steering wheel change radio stations while in the Multi-display mode. It shows the radio station on top but when you turn the dial it scrolls through MPG, Trip info, etc. I know it works when only the Radio station is displayed (Radio mode) but I'd like to see all the other information while just changing the station. Seems distracting to change modes then stations while driving.
  • cathyk1cathyk1 Member Posts: 8
    I bought a V6 Touareg on 2/2/04 and it has been in the shop since 2/9/04. I was hearing a loud whistling/whining noise coming from the rear end, especially at speeds of around 45MPH. After telling me it was wind noise, etc., they finally figured out that the rear differential was bad. I am awaiting a new one from Germany which will take at least 5-7 days & then I may have my car back by next Friday (I'm not hopeful) Anyways, just thought I'd share my problem and hopefully the solution!
    There is a new TSB out from VW dated Feb. 11, Group: 57 Number: 04–01. Get your dealer to do this under warranty service and it will dramatically extend the range of your remote.
  • major7major7 Member Posts: 31
    I received a fault showing tire pressure monitoring fault, showed "0" on the mfi. The manual said it could be a radio transmission probem. I was thinking of storing current pressures in there to see if it works or is it a sensor thing?? Can anybody shed light on this? Thx.
    I fixed my tire monitor fault by storing the current air pressure temps as if I had never done that before. It did what it had too and the fault error message disappeared and the tire pressure readings for cold and hot were back in there, problem solved. They had module problems with the tire sensor system the dealer told me and it would have been something they could have fixed at my next service appt. Only 500 miles on the V8 so far. I also confirmed with the dealer that synthetic oil is in the Touaregs as I saw the oil change intervals at 10k after the first 5k service for oil. He said their service dept. advised changing the synthetic oil every 5k miles since I owned the V8. Everything else is fine, need to do lots of reading with all the features on this SUV. Bob
  • todd2004todd2004 Member Posts: 18
    I bought my V8 Treg back on 12/11/2003. I was told at the dealership (MAG) of Dublin,OH, that I would receive my flashlight from VW via the mail in 4-6 weeks. That seemed reasonable enough. However,when I called VW customer service on 1/22/2004 I was told that it would be 6-8 weeks until I received the flashlight.Now, I'm not very impressed,so I wait and I called them back today and they tell me that the wait will be 60-90 days!I wish I could tell you that I believe them,but you probably wouldn't believe me either. I am convinced that VW is not only inept,but probably dishonest as well. Not very good customer service from a company that is allegedly trying to upgrade the customer experience while trying to sell us on high dollar vehicles like the Treg and the Phaeton. Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?? Any advice?? Thank-you in advance!
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    "He said their service dept. advised changing the synthetic oil every 5k miles since I owned the V8."

What! Why? Synthetics are used to prevent frequent oil changes. Sounds like a $100 VW money maker to me.
  • sedwards41255sedwards41255 Member Posts: 17
    O.K. I love my Toureg but .....I had a flat tire in a remote location. I called Volkswagon and was told to call Road side assist...which I did. A 2 hour wait with me and my daughter in the car. A police car came by 5 minutes later and he helped me. He got the local service station to open up and change my tire to the spare. I could not have even attempted this change myself. Tire changed to the spare and I am able to get home. Since the spare only allows you to drive for 50 miles or so ...I can't even DRIVE it to the Volkswagon dealership 60 miles away. I put over 30 miles on it getting home.
    It took my local shop a week to get me a 17 inch Dunlop - it was supposedly mailed to Texas first. I am in Virginia. I take it in and they change the tire. In the meantime I had called the Dealership to see if they had a tire. They did not tell me not to have anyone else change the tire. At this point, after the tire is changed, I start to drive off the lot and a fault appears. "Running Gear Workshop". It does not mention the Tire....so I think O.K. some sensor is messed up. I drive for a few days and finally get it into the Volkswagon dealership. Diagnostic testing reveals the following: When the local shop changed my tire, they cut thru the air suspension sensor- probably with their lifts. This sensor is connected to the wheel strut and the entire strut needs to be replaced. Cost = $1,400. Of course the insurance of the local shop is paying for this. BUT....the part is not in the United States and I am told to be prepared for it to take 2 months. Insurance company has expedited the shipping on the part and hopefully it will be here before then. All in all everyone involved has been great....the Volkswagon dealership (once they realized I did not do this to my vehicle!) and the local shop as well as the insurance company.
    Please all, just be aware of taking your Toureg to just any shop to change the tire - or at least make them aware of this sensor. Better yet, stand their while they "Lift" the vehicle. I know Volkswagon does not want anyone but their own dealerships touching this car. It says this in the manual regarding the Tire pressure sensors themselves...but to my knowledge it does not adequately explain just what can happen.
    And remember this part is NOT in the US. YUK! I really just want my Toureg back. However, the learning curve on this vehicle is long.....I really will have to wait and see if I buy another one....depending on what else happens. All vehicles have problems....this I know. I will appreciate any additional info anyone else has who either has knowledge of this Fault or has experienced it.
    I too am still experiencing the wind whistle....what information does anyone have on the "rear differential" being the problem????? More specific information about this and how it creates the wind whistle will be appreciated - so I can pass it on to the dealership.
  • okg0okg0 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone tried to sync up a garage door opener with the Homelink buttons following the instructions in the manual?

Pushing buttons 1 and 3 as instructed do not make the light blink to activate the "instruction" mode.
    Hi there,
    I'm the one w/the bad rear differential (supposedly). They replaced it, however, I'm still hearing the same whistling, almost vibrating noise coming from the right rear of the vehicle. Of course the dealership can't duplicate it so, I'm in a holding pattern right now. They basically told me they have no idea what's causing it but they "think" it may be the tires warming up?? I'm extremely frustrated. Does your noise happen all of the time? I'd love to discuss this w/you further & the response from your dealer.
  • mmee1mmee1 Member Posts: 19
    Can anyone help with the unlock settings. I want all the doors to unlock when I hit the remote and when I exit the vehicle. I go into the comfort settings, then to the door settings, and unlock settings. I change to the desired settings with both keys. When I reinsert the keys, the settings are now back to driver side door open only. Any help?
    Hi CathyK1,
    I notice my wind whistle when I get up around 45 to 50 mph.....and not until then. It "sounds" to me as if it is on the right side of the vehicle...and is a "high pitch whistle...just like wind streaming thru some vacant spaces along the right side.
    First, the dealer told me that it was just the nature of the Toureg. I told them they would have to take the car back...as it drove me nuts. That said, I suggested to the dealer that it may be the racks...since someone on this forum made that suggestion. The dealer adjusted the racks....told me "THATS THE PROBLEM!!!!" and that they had fixed it. They didn't.
    Interestingly enough....we got a lot of snow and ice here during one week. It covered the entire vehicle. When I drove it with the ice covering the car...PARTICULARLY where the windshield meets the car......IT DID NOT WHISTLE !!!!!!!! I thought this important!!!!Obviously, the ice covered up the entry way for the wind!!! So...I am thinking it is coming in thru the windshield, traveling all along the right side of the vehicle between the door panels or something like that. See....mine sounds like it is starting in the front of the vehicle.....but then I am in the front. I would think that depending on how large the GAPS are, where they start, where it ends and where we sit....all might influence how it sounds and where we THINK it is coming from.
    Yes, mine happens all the time....when I am traveling above 50 mph....between 0 and 45 or so it does not happen. I can't hear it when I have the window down....or the radio on. Does this help at all?
    Any more details on yours?

I have not taken it in for this particular problem again.....since they have my vehicle for another issue with the rear fault on the air suspension system...and it can not be driven until this is fixed. However, I will be asking them to do so.
    This sounds exactly what mine is doing. It's definitely coming from the right side & it's a very annoying high pitched whistle/vibration. We took the roof racks off & it still made the same noise. I'm going to suggest that they come test drive it @ my house w/in the next few mornings (mine seems to be worse first thing) & then go from there. I"ll keep you updated. I live in Maine, sounds like you're in the Northeast as well?
    I live in Virgina. I purchased my Toureg in January 2004 and the production date was in October...so it was not some of the first manufactured. I do love the feel of the vehicle...but this wind whistle has to go. I think some "seals" are not tight or air is getting inside the steel panels ...somewhere on that side of the vehicle...or even perhaps on top on that side. Let me know if your dealer finds anything...Sandra
  • evanstoevansto Member Posts: 12
    My V8 Touareg doesn't have the whistle noise, but my Audi A6 does. Don't know if it's the same, but we found the whistle came from the mirror, the joint where the mirror folds. I tested it by driving with the mirrors folded and the noise was gone. I also tested it by putting duct tape over the joint and again the noise was gone. Hope that helps.
    Hi...yesterday my dealer heard the wind whistle. He told me to take my roof racks completely off. He could not do it as it required the keys that I unfortunately left at home. As I drove with the technician, he slid the sunroof cover back and the wind whistle was louder....so this points to the roof rack.....as others here have indicated.
    I will take them off tomorrow....and let you know...if this solves it. I hate to take them off since they look good on...but the whistle has to go...
  • walt28walt28 Member Posts: 4
    i am getting wind noise starting at around 50mph.
    Sounds like its coming from roof rack, however it doesn't sem to be as bad as some here are getting.Also, what's way worse is loud noise/vibration I'm getting when driving with sunroof close to or fully opened & going over 20 mph.Extremely loud/irritating. Haven't told dealer but getting ready to. By the way, roof rack noise disappears when both racks are locked together in furthest rear position, guess that's why every Touareg on every dealer lot I've ever seen has the racks in this position....try it yourself.
    Have you tried turning the rear rack around so the curved portion is facing forward? The racks can go on in either direction.
    I should clarify the above post. I meant when the racks are spread apart. Not when they are together at the rear.
    We tried taking the roof racks off b4 they replaced the rear differential & we still heard the noise. I haven't tried it since the repair but will try anything to stop the noise. Will let you know what happens. Thanks everyone.
  • songbirdsongbird Member Posts: 2
    hi,
    i purchased a v6 toureg last week. i have experienced two major problems since. the wind noise seems to be coming from the rear of the car. i have complained and i will meet with the sales person on Saturday for a test drive. as we converse on the phone he eludes to the possibility of the racks on top of the car. i don't believe that that is the case. Most importantly is that i now feel unsafe in the vehicle do to a shifting problem. i was in my car driving 80 miles and suddenly had the need to merge. because i reduced my speed suddenly the car began to jerk as if it were choking and about to die on me. this has happened twice. i love the car but i love me more.
    songbird
  • cat3126cat3126 Member Posts: 43
    I am looking at buying a Touareg and would use it to tow a #4000 boat and trailer with brakes. Has anyone used the Touareg for towing? Any problems? The dealer is recommending that I go with the T10 Diesel. He is saying that the V-8 does not have enough low end torque for pulling at steep boat ramps.
    V8 not enough torque?? Sounds stupid or the dealer is looking to upsell you. The vehicle has low range. I think You will lose traction before you don't have enough torque. Take a look here:

http://home.comcast.net/~mleard17/Boat2.jpg

Boat and trailer weighs in at ~5000 pounds. Towed it from Houston to SC. Treg did great towing it, plenty of power with the V8, braking was also good (trailer has surges brakes).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Can we shrink them before posting them? The big ones load pretty slowly for our members who use dial up.

tidester, host
    Sorry, I don't host this pic. Not even my Touareg. So that is why I posted the link to the pic too. In case you decided to S-can it they could still go get it.

Very nice picture though. Notice how the air suspension has brought the car back to level even though the tongue weight is around 500 lbs. Owner said gas mileage on the trip was only about 14 mpg though.
    I'm still hearing the noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. Songbird, let me know what your dealer finds as mine seems to be @ a loss. I have also noticed I have what I would say is an excessive amount of brake dust on my front wheels. Anyone else experience this? I guess I will be calling the service people Monday.
    Everyone is getting brake dust. This is very typical of German cars. Take a look at any BMW that hasn't been washed in a week. The Germans seem to use softer pads than the rest of the industry.
  • andersseandersse Member Posts: 1
    Since I purchased my Touareg in Oct 03 I have had multiple problems. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing these. My rear hatch door keeps popping open. Took it to the dealer twice and still can't get it fixed. The tire pressure monitor keeps malfunctioning and sounds the alarm that I have a flat tire. Had it in already for that and now it's started again. Tire pressure is fine. Whistling noise - I've read all the comments on that one. Headlights went out one night but came back on later.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Went to the auto show yesterday. Saw the T-reg. Loved the styling, amenities, size, etc. Even price seems good compared to X5 4.4, ML500, Lexus GX470. Now I read about all these problems, particularly electrical which are notoriously difficult to pinpoint and fix. Now I'm thinking the GX470 is a better bet despite the tall gawky look, rear hatch/door design and downright stupid third-seat storage method.
    For example, a friend posted this elsewhere:

"There is a TSB for the TPM system. What is says is that the new part number: 7L0 907 273 supercedes all other TPM control modules.

I had mine replaced today. The difference between the new and old modules is that you no longer have warm (actual) tire pressures displayed in the MFI."
    It's the time-frame associated with "eventually" that I'm concerned about. How long would it take VW to sort things out? One model year? 2? or longer?
  • mmee1mmee1 Member Posts: 19
    This is a problem and solution discussion. All the many people who are absolutely in love with everything about their Touareg and are not experiencing problems (myself included), do not post that here. That would be a boring post.
  • volvoorvwvolvoorvw Member Posts: 5
    Previously on the Touareg SUV site I posted that I was having problems burning CD's that would play in my Touareg. I had tried 4 different programs, different media, and different burning speeds. Nothing produced CD's that would play consistently. Then I recorded a CD on my son's computer using one of the same programs and the same media and it played fine. Apparently the problem was with the combination CD/DVD burner (multi-recorder) on my computer. By trying to be a Jack-of-all-trades, it wasn't burning CD's well enough that they would play in the Touareg (they would play elsewhere). I replaced the DVD-ROM on my computer with a Sony CD Burner and now the CD's I burn play in the Touareg.
    No during ownership things get sorted out by the dealer or the car goes back under lemon laws. Of course, newer cars have latest fixes in them usually but by keeping up with problems and solutions (sorry but not here) you find out about these things.
    I hear ya, but from my personal perspective, there is no lemon law provision where I live. Our recourse is to go thru arbitration administered by the local BBB. I had to do that once for a buyback and let me tell you, it was an acrimonious process. A real pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. Plus I would hate to have to keep going back to the dealer to try to rectify some problem for a vehicle that I have had to shell out big bucks for.
  • emtbmanemtbman Member Posts: 1
    For what it's worth I bought my V-6 Toureg when they first came out. I bought the first one the dealer had on the lot. Since purchasing it I have had several problems but nothing too serious. The dealer finally fixed my remote keyless entry and it works great. During the winter when it was very cold the MFI would flash Defective Wheel Onboard and indicate I had a low tire which was not correct. The dealer had to reset the computer a few times and since the cold weather is now over I have not had any problems with the DEFECTIVE WHEEL. I detected a hissing noise in the dash and discovered that all the freon in the AC had leaked out over the winter. They refilled it, checked for leaks and it appears to work fine. Discovered at my last visit (7,500 miles) that upon rotating the tires my Toureg had a problem with its alignment. VW is going to replace all 4 Dunlops free of charge because of the cupping problem with their incorrect alignment specs. I see some people are having problems with wind noise which I also experienced until I moved both of the luggage racks all the way to the back of the vehicle next to each other. Noise problem gone! Another problem i am having is my CD player will sometimes advance to the next song and sometimes it won't. CD player jams up alot requiring you to eject the disc and start over. The fans on the AC and heat kind of have a life of their own. Sometimes they turn up full blast without pushing any button. During some of our cold spells in Minnesota last winter the heater could not keep up with the cold air down by my feet. Even on full blast I could not keep my feet warm on a long trip. Mechanically the Touareg is sound. It rides like a luxury car and performs like a SUV. My only frustration is the accelerator which is very touch due to the wired system they have. Has anyone had problems with their headlights? If you look at the vehicle head on from a block away it appears the driver's headlight is burnt out. The dealer has aligned the headlights and said they are fine. Just thought I would thrown in my 2 cents.
    Individually these are all relatively minor problems, but collectively (for the same vehicle and owner) they add up to one royal pain in the butt. I think most of those could/should have been eliminated if VW's QC is up to par.
  • russianrussian Member Posts: 3
    Dear Brundog,
    Description of problems you experienced with your new Touareg match exactly with my discoveries.
    I have learned that there is a solution to increase remote FOB distance. VW dealers are aware about the problem and know how to solve it. My V8 Touareg in the shop now for 5K service. My service advisor promised to increase FOB. However, I would like to know if you were successful to resolve breaks squeaking problem. I complained to my VW dealer and VW of America. Both gave me the same answer. Metallic break are noisy and nothing we can do about it. I cannot believe this answer. I drove less expensive cars and none had breaks as noisy as my Touareg. By the way the problem did not go away with more miles on the car. My car has 5K miles on it. Did your problem go away ? Let me know.
    Thanks.
    Russian.
  • gerrrrgerrrr Member Posts: 6
    Just bought a pop up camper and found out I had no brake control harness to connect the brake control unit into the male connector under my dashboard of my Touareg. Spoke with a few VW dealers and actually called VW. They didn't have a clue. Camper dealer said he installed a brake control unit two weeks ago on a Touareg and they had the harness. Said it came with the car. State laws require my camper to have electric brakes, which it does, now I just have to figure out how to connect the brake control unit to the Touareg. Any suggestions???? My new camper is sitting at the the Camper dealer waiting for me to take it home.

Gerrrr
  • bcj2bcj2 Member Posts: 17
    REMOTE: Spockcat, what's your email? I need info on fixing the remote range that doesn't seem to go beyone 10'

NAV: Why won't the system take you to an exact street address? My Acura, Lexus + Lincoln nav systems let you.

What are the single buttons behind the steering wheel controls for?

Dealer tells me it will take "weeks" to get the part to fix the airbag fault problem. What's the deal w/ that?
    Jim, does your trailer set up for your boat have electric brakes? IF so, you did you do the connection for your brake control unit in the Touareg?

Gerry
    I have a 2004 V8 Touareg and I have figured out most things on the Nav system with the help of Navteq and they are very helpful. However, one problem we haven't figured out is how to get the "Restaurants" icon to show up on the map in my area or elsewhere. The map scale is reduced to .5 etc. and the other icons all show up on the map no problem, gas stations, hospitals, police, etc. We have several restaurants around here and in NY State but I do not see the icon for these showing up? Anyboy have the answer to this problem? Thx. Bob
  • russianrussian Member Posts: 3
    Touareg owners ! Does anyone experienced breaks squeaking problem. I have this problem since I bought new V8 premium package Touareg. I complained to my VW dealer and VW of America. Both gave me the same answer. Metallic break are noisy and nothing we can do about it. I cannot believe this answer. I drove less expensive cars and none had breaks as noisy as my Touareg. By the way the problem did not go away with more miles on the car. My car has 5K miles on it. Did anyone knows how to fix this problem and what causes it.
    Thanks.
    Russian.
    Just spoke with a Treg dealer and he said there are no such harnesses for connecting the electric brake line to a brake control unit. They recommended having a camper place splice into the wires beneath the dash and connect to the brake control unit. Then bring the vehicle into the dealer, so they can activate the electric brake line. VW did not activate this line. He also said that this would not void the warranty. VW never made a harness to connect to the male plug under the dash. Go figure......
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    I've had Volvos with brakes that squeaked. Metallic brake pads common on european cars seem to do this. I prefer the performance of metallic brake pads, but they seem to wear out pretty fast. Several things can help. First, have the dealer make sure there is adequate anti-sieze compound on the pad backing. Second, wash the wheels and brake area at least weekly by hand with a strong stream of water directed at the caliper area and behind. A drive-in car wash will NOT do the trick. A jet of compressed air can also help. Squeaking is often caused by a buildup of brake dust. I have 3k on my Touareg and the brakes are quiet so far. It takes about 50 miles for a film of brake dust to form on my wheels. I hand wash weekly.
  • rower2rower2 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the info on the breaks. I have 8k on my t-reg and the squeaking just starting. I knew that was a bit too soon for the breaks to be going. I'm bringing it in on Wednesday for the tyre pressure monitor light again and will bring up the anti-seize compound to the dealer.

Other issues- My dealer called me and asked if I wanted to come in and have the key-fob distance fixed. The distance great now and I'm able to open my back hatch which I wasn't able to do before.

I've been reading some posts complaining of horrible service. I recently changed dealerships and it made all of the difference in the world. The one I go to now always has a loaner. A VW, not from a rental car company. They tell me exactly what's up and how long it's going to take and the last time I had it in, they cleaned the inside and outside of the truck and even put air in the tires of my son's bike that was in the back. It's little extras like that that take some of the hassle out of having to bring it in.
    Sorry, I don't visit this Touareg forum very often anymore. I can be reached using my user name @ netzero.net.

Electric Trailer Brakes:
    There is a connector under the dash. Here is info on the Tekonsha Prodigy, where the connector is located and how to wire it: http://tm-techmark.com/touareg/PDFfiles/Tip%202%20Volkswagen%20To- uareg%20Porsche%20Cayenne.pdf

Navteq POIs:
    This is an issue that I am hoping VW will resolve with the next version of the Navteq CDs. The resturants are all on the CDs but they just don't show up on the map. If the software is anything like the Garmin iQue3600, then there is a way to indicate how much detail you want displayed on the map. Unfortunately, this is hidden from the user by VW/Blaupunkt/Bosch. I recently received a software upgrade for the nav system from Germany but it didn't address this issue.

Squeaking brakes:
    I haven't had this problem but I've heard from other Touareg owners who have had this problem and have had their rotors and pads replaced under warranty to solve the issue. Best is to demonstrate the problem with the service manager in your car. When the brakes squeak so loud thathe can't stand it you should get good service.