Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Navigation System Hints and Experiences

Comments

• chiroschiros Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 08 and was wondering the same as it wouldn't change to the night view on Auto setting. Found out if you turn your Max brightness setting off by one push dimmer it will change automatically when headlights are turned on.
  • lockgiantslockgiants Member Posts: 29
    so as long as my lighing is on max the nav will always stay in day mode? ill have to try it, thanks!

congrats on your 08! i got mine a little less than 2 months ago.
    you are right, thanks for your help!
  • mandeepmandeep Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I just brought a Acura TL 2002. It has a navagation system, but is outdated. How can I change the CD? I know the CD is in the trunk, if I remove the CD will I have any problems when I reload it?

Can I get the steps on how to remove the navagation CD.

Also, which version should I get? Where can I get a new version without spending alot of money. If I get a new version of the CD, would I be able to copy it?

Thanks!
    Mandeep
  • mandeepmandeep Member Posts: 2
    I have just brought a Acura TL 2002. The CD player just stopped working, is there any way to remove it and try to fix it?

Thanks!
    Mandeep
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Thanks for the post. Very helpfull.
    In another post you also mentioned that the DVD can be copied using a DL blank. How can one find out if a DVD from one car model will work on another (say from TL to Pilot). Also, if 4.6 is not good why give it to the dealers who in turn will give it to the customers? Thanks.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    go on www.acuranavi.com and get version 2.50. It's the current version for your TL. It's very easy to update. Yes you can copy it but you need Dual Layer DVD discs.

Turn on the Ignition but don't fully start the car.
    You just eject the disc.
    Carefully remove it and replace it with the new disc.
    Close up the cover to the nav system if it has it and you're done mostly. It might go black then will be back to normal. Might want to turn on the car to force the system to install when done. It's very easy to update. Might not have to the restart step.
    2002-2005 Pilot can use the same disc as the 00-03 TL. If you have a 2006 and up model then you need to get 4.x. 2004-2006 TL's use the 3.x system. 2007-2008 use the 4.x system. There were some update issues. Some people said it was ok. People were reporting crashes. I think they kept it for dealers only as a backup or something like that.

Also www.hondanavi.com and www.acuranavi.com have a list of the years and models. It tells you which is the right disc.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Thanks, My 08 Accord came with 4.62.
    Since each car's navi has its own GUI what do you think would happen if the disk from 08 was put in the 06. Wouls that also update the menu and add the extra functions or just the map info will be updated. Any potential for corrupting the system? I think besides the version we need to specify what car it is for and maybe the DVD includes the car specific OS? Thanks again.
    It will work but it could cause bugs. Oops I forgot to mention that 06 TL's use the 3.x disc. Only 07-08 units use it. Like I said it won't work if it's an 06 accord then it will be fine but 4.62 has had problems with 4.x vehicles. This bug is pretty wierd since newer models are fine but not older ones. Probably error or won't work. Also the 08 accord has a different voice recognition system. There are probably different software. The navi uses a custom version of Windows CE or something like that. Alpine says use the disc that is made for your car.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    He says it stays on "day mode," so it's not a headlight issue, unless he's not putting his light on at night.

Instead, try hiting the "max brightness" button - it's below the speedometer, to the left or right. It will override the night mode. It's very useful if you have your headlights on during the day, due to rain or fog or whatever, but you have to remember to hit the button again to get it back to night mode.

[just rechecked and saw the other answers to this question - guess Ineed to check in more often!]
    There is a way to retrofit the 99 Hard drive system to the 00-03 system.
    The current 4.62 discs supposedly do work on the older 4.x cars but they are only letting dealers have them. Dealers can only get them. I'm sure they can order it for you. They had to remake all the 4.62 discs which caused a shortage. Alpine felt that the dealers should only order them for 08 models due to the sc. If a new version doesn't contain any additional map data there will be updated POI's. Hope this helps.
    Hey guys! I just got a new 08 TL w/nav and I have this one question... it said in the review that you can have the climate function displayed on the nav screen. does anyone know how to do this? I have yet to figure it out! Maybe I'm just slow.. but can someone please let me know? Thanks!
  • kkysethkkyseth Member Posts: 1
    On my 06 TL my clock on the dash differs by about 2.5 hours than the clock on the navi. system.I can change the clock on the navi. sys. all I want but the one on the dash is always different and never changes.I can't set it at all.Please help.
    Thanks,Kevin
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I know the posts are 5 months old... but why are Acura Nav screens cracking?
    Is it a coincidence that two people have a cracked screen, or is this an issue I'm not aware of.
    No cracks in our MDX yet, thankfully.
  • pmueller2pmueller2 Member Posts: 12
    Did you ever get an answer to your question? It's something I'm sure I would use regularly...I'm a meteorologist.

Pete
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Did you ever get an answer to your question? It's something I'm sure I would use regularly...I'm a meteorologist.

ROFL.... If that's true, shouldn't you already know ?!?!?!?! :blush:
  • nmsgnmsg Member Posts: 39
    hey lockgiants,
    did you ever find out how you can get the climate function displayed on the nav screen? i'm still trying to figure out my new tl as well. any information would be greatly appreciated.
    nope. ill be heading to my dealer to change my oil pretty soon. ill run it by them. i also went through the manual and didnt see anything there either. ill keep an update if i find anything out
    Hey guys can you please help me with this?

When I try to make a phone call with my paired phone I don't get a ringtone. In addition, the connection seems to slightly lag. I call through my phone, then transfer it to the HFL. Why don't I get a ringtone when I'm connected to the HFL? Please advise. Thanks!!!
  • eddy711eddy711 Member Posts: 4
    HI
    Does anybody know how to get the XM NavTraffic on my 06 MDX.
    I Subscribed to it but it seems it does not support this.
    If i buy the new 4.7 disc will it work?

Both Acura & XM didnt know what to tell me Thanks
    You hear silence through the HFL until the caller picks up, and this doesn't happen when you call on your cell phone without using the HFL?

Unless the volume is turned low in the car (you conrol the volume of the telephone by using the volume dial on the radio) so as to prevent you from hearing the dialtone, it sounds like there is something wrong.

If you're going to take the car in for this, try placing a call directly through the HFL to see if you have the same problem - it might help them isolate the problem.
    No, the HFL works well when I call through the car and I do get a ring tone. But if the phone is conneted to HFL and I try calling from the phone itself (instead of using the HFL) thats when I don't get a ring tone.
    There must be something wrong with your module. When I call using my phone and then say "transfer," I hear the ringtone through the car speakers.

I had to get my module replaced - it didn't take long and it was under warranty at the time (when my car was 2 years old)
    Thats what I would expect to happen also. But for some reason when I call using my phone, then say transfer, HFL tells me there is no call to connect. I suppose I'll ask them to take a look at it when I get my oil change. Thanks!
    HFL tells me there is no call to connect

That's not something you mentioned before!!! When I call from my handset, I need to wait until it starts ringing in the handset before giving the transfer command. If I give the command too early, it says "no call in progress"

If the same problem happens when you transfer the call after the handset starts ringing, then I'm stumped and think you should bring your car in.
  • svincesvince Member Posts: 2
    Is there a newer dvd that is available for an upgrade and what version would it be. I bought this car for my son and want to get a newer disc if available
    thanks
    Scott
    Yes there is a newer dvd for it. If you have a 2004 you get an orange dvd. 00-03 models are the black dvd.
    http://www.acuranavi.com has what you are looking for. Pretty easy to upgrade.
  • svincesvince Member Posts: 2
    Sorry it is a 2000 and needs a black DVD. I was hoping to find a one year old version if anyone knows where I can find one
    Thanks
    Scott
    www.acuranavi.com and ebay has some as well. 2.50 is the latest. Might want to wait since 2.60 is probably going to come out in a few months. Maybe in August or September.
  • pongimapongima Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a used 2005 Acura TL and now notice that the small clock on the top display doesn't match the navigation time. Instruction manual says that clock cannot be set manually if car came with the Navigation option. Does anyone know how to match Nav clock with top display clock?

Also, the Navigation voice doesn't work. I've gone thru the manual and set everything that seems relevant. I notice that music gets muted and am assuming that the silence should be the Navigation voice. Do I need some software disc or something to get this working? I've never had a factory Navigation system before and am pretty ignorant.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
    I have an '04 with nav and have not experienced your issues, so following are just some thoughts - no guarantees!!!

I think you can adjust the time on the nav unit. Go through the different screen setting and I think 1 is time and time zone. I had to change mine when daylight savings came early.

As for voice, 1st try this, when you think the system should be speaking to you (and on mine there is a "voice" button in the lower left of the screen to get it to speak), turn the radio volume dial to the right (turning upt he volume). If that doesn't work, work your way through the screens to see if there is a voice or volume setting.
  • new2carsnew2cars Member Posts: 71
    I own a 2007 TL with nav. While my TL is being serviced today, the dealership gavef me a 2008 TSX loaner and I noticed that the nav system on this car has traffic congestion warnings and local weather forecasts. How cool is that? I had no idea that the Acuras had this function.

My 2007 TL nav definitely doesn't have this function. Or at least, I don't know how to use it. Is this is a new feature on the 2008 Acuras with nav? I am very curious if this is just a 2008 feature or if my '07 has the capabilities of accessing this information as well. Quite handy, I'll admit.

Thanks for your input!
    Replying again about your problem with the volume - I rechecked my '04 nav menu screens and screen 1 has teh volume controls. They may have changed it in the '05, but I'd scroll through your menus to look for the volume setting.
  • willis3willis3 Member Posts: 76
    XM Weather is new for the 09 TSX and RL. TL has NavTraffic beginning in 2007. You need to pay a monthly fee for this service to XM Satellite.
  • pongimapongima Member Posts: 3
    Hi taxesquire! Thanks for the responses. I've tried what you mentioned concerning the volume in the set up menu, but still no success. I've gone thru the instruction manual a number of times and have concluded that something's wrong with the NAV system.

Do I need to load a CD for my TL model and year? I didn't read anything about this in the manual. Also, my small clock doesn't match the Navigation clock setting. The manual says that I can't adjust the small clock manually if I have the Navigation system option. I'm guessing that both these problems are related somehow.

I guess my last resort is to take it to an Acura dealership. I don't even want to think how much this could cost.

Anyway, I appreciate your response. Thanks again.

Dan
    Mine has a place for the DVD in the trunk, but if your dvd was missing, I think it would not show you any map - you said yours was just a voice problem, so I don't think a missing CD is the cause.

:confuse: If you were able to find the volume control within the nav menu, and that didn't fix the problem, chances are there's a problem with your nav unit or the speaker.

You might be able to tell if you give the car a voice command (like "radio 97.9" or "temperature 70 degrees") - the care repeats the command back. If you don't here anything, then it's probably a speaker issue.

Hopefully it's still under warranty, but I don't know for sure. Good luck.
  • jt3689jt3689 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 TL and i am getting either one of two screens. The first screen says that it is trying to locate a proper satellite signal and it wants me to leave the car running for in one spot for 10 minutes. When that doesnt work it ask for me to unplug the battery and then wait 30 minutes. Anybody have any solution for this?
  • rvator4rvator4 Member Posts: 84
    I would be suspicious of a connection missing from the antenna in the windshield. Have you had your windshield replaced? Anything else sounds pretty expensive.
  • 6nascar66nascar6 Member Posts: 3
    How do I PM you?

Does the 4.70 work in an 08 TL?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm sorry, that post had to be removed. The CarSpace Forums can't be used for buying and selling. Hope you can find what you're looking for.
    Yes 4.70 is compatible with the 2007-2008 TL. All 2007-2008 TL's use the 4.xx system.
    The new 09 TL uses a hard drive instead of a DVD navigation system. The hard drive can store Music and Navigation data. They upgraded the navigation display to have higher resolution and better graphics. Updates may be installed at the dealer or a special DVD could update it.
    The 09 TL with nav loses the CD changer but the Hard drive more than makes up for it.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    So the CD player will not hold the standard 6 CD's? But can you download CD's to the harddrive?
    Yes you can download the CD's to the hard drive. Even pictures can be downloaded. It's said that it could rip MP3 and WMA files to the hard drive. The Music partition was said to be about 13 GB which is quite a bit of songs. It supports iPod's as well. No real need for a CD changer.
  • dhart1dhart1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 TL that has the same problem with some voice directions. I checked out everything on it before buying it, but this feature, and haven't been able to find a solution for the lack of voice responses to directions. All other voice commands and responses work just fine, other than those with directions. The radio goes to the back speakers like it is trying to work, but nothing. Suggestions?

Then just yesterday, the navi system won't "boot". I get the starting screen ("sun over the earth"), but it won't advance to the next screen. I pulled out the orange disk and checked it (no problems), but it still won't work. Suggestions?

Also, since I have the orange disk, is there any other disks I could upgrade to to get newer information? What would be a reasonable cost to pay for an upgrade?
    Thanks.
    The hard drive is about 40 GB and it automatically rip's audio CD's to the hard drive though you can disable it and do it manually. The bit rate is about 128 kbps so it might not satisfy everyone. Then again only 12.7 GB is allocated for music. Finally Honda has decided to upgrade it's navi system to have a High resolution display and a hard drive.
    As for 09 TL map updates those might have to be done at the dealer. It's probably due to them having a specialized data machine. Just like in 1996-1999 :). Or Acura could release a DIY DVD updates. I'm sure the update could erase music and photo data. The FCX clarity also uses this system and maps have to be done at a Honda dealer.