Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Navigation System Hints and Experiences

1789101113»

Comments

• seadubseadub Member Posts: 4
    So I got the new TL w/ Tech package and one thing I can't figure out (yes, I've read the manual but either I'm dense or it's not clearly articulated) - how do I turn off/mute voice guidance when driving a calculated route (while leaving all other audio on)?
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    go to set up
  • seadubseadub Member Posts: 4
    Figured it out, thanks
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    As someone else responded, it is easy to change from the view of north always being up to your direction always being up. Not sure if there is a 3D view.

I like my 2004 TLs nav system much better than my Garmin Nuvi's (purchased in 2008). It is much easier to scroll along my route in the Acura, and much easier to preview the available routing options before locking one in.

I do like how the nuvi automatically zooms in when it gets closer to the time to turn.
  • jhineyjhiney Member Posts: 1
    did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue.
  • 1driver11driver1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 TL. While driving, my navigation screen went blank. the weird part is that it still works.. the back light still dims and lights up but no graphics display on the screen. i can press the audio button and touch where the stations would display and the it changes to that staion. i can also use the voice command.

does anyone know a solution?
  • caesarboycaesarboy Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2010
    Hello-
    I have 2010 TL Tech and I was wondering if there is any way to set it to default to the audio screen rather than the map screen once you get past the disclaimer.

It is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to have to hit the audio button every time I start the car to display the audio screen which I use much more than the map.

Thanks
    Jim
  • joeldavid1joeldavid1 Member Posts: 10
    When I first turn on my car the navigation system will not engage. It looks as if it keeps trying to "reboot" but nothing happens it just stay on home screen. Bought it into dealer and they were nice enough to look at it and try to clear it and it worked for a couple of hours and then same problem. It will not even display radio stations just "stuck" on navigation home screen. Dealer said would be $350 to take it out and send out and then 6 weeks. UGH.....any help out there or reccomnedations. Thanks bummed out in Boston MA
  • rlonn1rlonn1 Member Posts: 106
    I played around with this today, and I was not able to do what you would like to do. The radio starts up and plays on the last audio you had up and playing before you shut off the car but the nav screen comes up with the warning message. Sure it is a safety thing! :cry:
  • caesarboycaesarboy Member Posts: 4
    Well I sure do appreciate the attempt rlonn1! I continue to scour the manual, but I think this is just the way it is.......
  • angryatacuraangryatacura Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 type S with the navi. When I put in a destination the thing crashes after a few minutes then reboots. Sometimes locks up completly. Acura Replaced it. The new one does the same thing. Acura corporate gave me a case # and looked into it. Came back with "we don't have a fix, we'll contact you when we do". I used the first one for a year before it quit working right. The vehicle only has 13,000 miles.

Anyone else heard of this?
  • angryatacuraangryatacura Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 type S with the navi. When I put in a destination the thing crashes after a few minutes then reboots. Sometimes locks up completly. Acura Replaced it. The new one does the same thing. Acura corporate gave me a case # and looked into it. Came back with "we don't have a fix, we'll contact you when we do". I used the first one for a year before it quit working right. The vehicle only has 13,000 miles.

Anyone else heard of this?
  • yoyooneyoyoone Member Posts: 9
    reading disc error... where in the trunk is the box so i can reinstall the disc... any idears.. thank you
  • navmastersnavmasters Member Posts: 3
    on the passenger side of your trunk it has rug over it and a black door but thats not your problem your dvd drive is no good
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    I had the same problem (display shows reading disc error). DVD drive had to be rebuilt. Fortunately I have an extended warranty so it only cost be $50. Dealer shipped the unit off somewhere to be rebuilt. Took about 3 weeks to get it back.
  • acuraowner34acuraowner34 Member Posts: 1
    My Navigation on my Acura is giving me a Disc Error message, I took it to the Dealership and it started working again...I told the Acura Advisor that it was NOT working ALL Week and now it started working...he said that he couldn't do anything for me because it was working...I was very frustrated with his answer...anyway as long as it was working I had no problem...the next day it didn't work any more...and from time to time it works again...I have an appointment with them again...wasting another day there...what can I do to get them to fix it, if they don't fix it this time...because it is under warranty...
    according to 2 otheres on this site who had the same issue as i have and you have... the disc driver and the disc have to be replaced... i went to the dealer 2 weeks ago and told him about the error message and that the fix was the driver and disc... the service dept looked at it and the service department has to order replacements.. awaiting the replacement. supposedly the driver comes fast but the disc takes a few weeks to arrive... i also told the dealer i need a loaner... waiting currently for all to arrive...a customer of mine complained of the same error issue.. it seems this is a common thing on this car
  • reivajreivaj Member Posts: 5
  • reivajreivaj Member Posts: 5
    hello.. please can someone tell me how i can conect the ipod to the navigation system i want to be able to changes songs from the screen of the navigation and i want to be able to watch videos too...
  • jwboothjwbooth Member Posts: 27
    edited November 2010
    Just received a letter from Acura offering a DVD Map update (2011 Acura DVD Map Update) for the Nav system for $185 including shipping.

Is there anyway to get a discount on this anywhere?

(2009 Acura TL)
  • happyacuraownrhappyacuraownr Member Posts: 4
    I'M having the same issue with my 05 TL too. Do you have any updates? I took my DVD unit out and blew it out with dust off, reinstalled and used a DVD lens cleaner disc in it, and its still not working right. It takes several boots (about 20 minutes worth) before its back up again. Thanks.

Chris

2005 Acura TL 108k
  • jere2jere2 Member Posts: 5
    I recieved the new DVD for my 09 TL. I did the full power update (2 hours). What is the
    backround upate (3.5-5 hrs) and is it necsssary?
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    i have the 09 TL and did't even know there is an update for the NAV.
    Did you order this update or was it sent automatically?
  • jazzyautojazzyauto Member Posts: 1
    having problems with the audio on the TL not displaying stations CD tracks or xm. the unit plays sound and everything and also navigation does not talk. i am thinking this is close to the gentlemens situation who made the #620 post
    please let me know if there is an answer out here
  • pongimapongima Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a used 2005 Acura TL with NAV recently. I have version 3.30g orange dvd. Does anyone know if this is the correct version for the 2005?

When receiving directions, the voice is muted. Also the little clock on the dash doesn't match up with the Navigation time. I recall reading in the manual that the dashboard clock syncs to the NAV unit time.

I'd appreciate any help, as I've gone thru the navigation manual numerous times without getting it working correctly.
  • bobjonbobjon Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I bought a new 2005 TL with Nav. The original nav DVD was version 3.40A. I replaced it in August '09 with version 3.80. Both worked well, but I wanted to update with new streets, etc. I hope this helps.
  • tl_drivertl_driver Member Posts: 1
    Any solutions to this problem? I have a 2007 TL, with current Navigation disk in place, and still experience this exact problem -- somewhere in the 2-to-2.5 hour range, the navigation system freezes, and the only way to regain active navigation and access to the audio system is to re-start the engine.

Of course it's ridiculous.
    You will need to replace the navigation DVD rom I'n the trunk they go bad and then the problem gets worst you can find them on eBay 2007-2008 are the same and will solve your problem
  • rvator4rvator4 Member Posts: 84
    Don't be so quick to spend the money for a new DRD player. I upgraded to a new disk once and it started doing the same thing as yours. I sent the disk back for a refund(not worth the cost anyway). The dealer cleared the memory and reloaded the old program and we lived happily everafter.
  • cpn2cpn2 Member Posts: 2
    I updated my 2005 TL NAV disk to the 2010 version. Since then, I've found many bugs in the routing and systemically missing POI's. Has anyone else encountered problems?

Routing Errors - a sample:
    System routed me 16.2 miles - 23 minutes (for Direct and Easy Routes) on a toll road. Switched to Minimize Freeways and got a route that was 4.3 miles - 16 minutes. NAV systems often do not find the "Best" route, but this makes no sense at all. This occurs often.

Missing POI's
    From my research, it appears that Acura outsources their NAV system mapping and POI data to Navteq and Navteq outsources the POI data to Dun & Bradstreet. For a 2011 Acura, I was told that Acura's cutoff date for information to go on their DVD disk is July 2010 and Navteq's cutoff date is January 1, 2010, so the newest data on the disk when you buy the TL would then be about a year old. Probably a surprise to some owners.

My problem is the choices of what data they provide. Navigation systems are most useful when you are travelling someplace new - like going to an out-of-town wedding or funeral. So I was very surprised to find no category for Churches, etc. Some can be found by "name", but not many. In my New England town, the newest church was built over 50 years ago, but none of these are in the database at all - not even in the Advanced section. You can however find Machine Shops - a category widely searched for by Acura drivers?
    Spelling and Tagging:
    If you are travelling to New York City and try to put an address in the system, the method is different for Brooklyn and Queens. In Queens, you have to know what the name of the neighborhood is (e.g., Astoria, Rego Park, Sunnyside etc.). You cannot find an address for Queens. In Brooklyn, you must select Brooklyn, not New York City. However, if you select by Places/category/restaurant/name and put in a name where there is more than one such restaurant name in New York City, when you get the list of choices, it does not distinguish between Brooklyn or Manhattan so if the name shows up twice, they will both show NYC as the place so you must also know the address (and hope the street names are not the same also).

It would be so easy to TAG the POIs as being in NYC, Queens, and Astoria so someone travelling to New York for the first time would have a chance of finding where to go. After all, how many non New Yorkers even know the neighborhood names for NYC?

I’ve only had NAV systems in my last 2 Acuras. Are these problems found in other cars? I have better luck with my cell phone than I do with my car system.
  • kkc717kkc717 Member Posts: 3
    I upgraded the disc on my '07 TL in March '11. Since them I've experienced intermittent problems with it shutting down causing a display message of "DVD disc reading error. Contact Dealer" Every time it's done this I've been able to get it running again by turning the car off and then on or ejecting and reloading the disc in the trunk navi box. I took it to the dealer, they ran all the diagnostics and said everything was running perfectly. They then told me that the disc player is probably going bad and to replace the entire navi box would be $3,015! They claimed that these units aren't repaired as it isn't worth the cost. These units are "thrown away" like a $100 DVD player. I find that hard to believe as I can't believe a $3,000 unit is comparable to a $100 DVD player. By-the-way I believe they had an alterior motive as they also tried to sell me a new car knowing that I probably wouldn't put that kind of money into that old a car.

I contacted the company I got the disc from and requested a new one. They gave me a case number and said they'd review the problem as the 30 day warranty is up. I haven't heard back from them yet.

I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this problem and if your problem was resolved. I use my car on business travel and really need the navi system.
    well i seened that problem before its your dvd rom in the trunk thats bad you can find them on ebay for a real good price
    edited July 2011
    DON"T DO ANYTHING with the dealer, or Ebay...

Go on Alpine's website. They are the manufacturer of the box in the trunk. For 158.00 flat, they will refurbish your DVD player and sent it back to you.

I had EXACTLY the same issue, and error messages. I sent it to them and within 3 weeks I had the unit back, and fully operational.

The unit removes easily from your trunk. Remove the trunk coverings, 4 screws that hold the bracket on, then 4 screws that hold the unit into the bracket, plus the all the connectors in the rear unit.

Piece of cake, and now I have my GPS back and saved literally thousands.

Here is the link, call the 800 number for OEM service. They will give you the address in CA to send the unit.

link title
  • alli7alli7 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I just noticed that my Nav. system is freezing and flickering. When I tried to eject the CD from the player, it seems that there isn't any power (not ejecting). Beside the Nav., I don't have access to the touch screen radio and climate controls. Does anyone have any solutions beside buying a new unit?
    Thanks.
    very common issue... i now have the 2010 tl... the navi recently said... stay on road for a while... great response.. i pushed voice again... then it said how many miles...

i think the woman in the navi has a sense of humor.

good l,uck

w
    I have an '07 TL and had a problem with the navi after installing a new disk. The dealer wanted $3,015 for a new navi box. They said they throw the boxes away when they malfunction which can be caused by either replacing the car battery or installing an updated disk. I found out the box was distributed by Alpine Electonics in Torrence, CA. (The info on Alpine was labeled on the box.) I sent the box to them for repairs that cost a flat $158. The dealer had to pull the box and then reinstall it (no other options except for the dealer as they have to sync it to the car again). Total cost for me was about 10% of the cost to replace the box. The navi system and related operations work perfectly and there is a one year warranty on Alpine's work. By-the-way I gave the dealer service dept the info on Alpine and they told me they gave that info to two other customers within one week of my providing it to them. Try pulling the box and contacting the distributor whose info should be on it.
  • alli7alli7 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I sent in my Navi to Alpine in Calif. I am assuming I should get it back in a couple of weeks. I didn't realize my dealer needs to resync it?
    Alpine received my Navi on a Wednesday, called me on Thursday to tell me it was fixed and to get a credit card #. They shipped it to me on Friday.

After the bad advice I got from the dealer I wanted no part of dealing with them to fix the Navi. Unfortunately no auto repair shop would touch the pulling of the box or reinstalling it. All shops told me the same thing, that the dealer was the only place that had the tools necessary to re sync the box to the car. I went back to the dealer, had them do the work and all has worked perfectly since then. They also washed the car and vacuumed it.
  • 05t105t1 Member Posts: 11
    For those who live in the Chicago land area has anyone bought the updated navigation disc and does it have the 355 extension and the exit at 173 to get off for Machesney Park. Any help would be appreciated.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    When I push the talk button and say "what time is it?" nothing happens. When I push the talk button and say "help" a long list of commands is read to me and one of the commands offered is "what time is it?" Now, I am not all that worried about what time it is, since I wear a watch and there is that poor excuse for a clock on the dash, but it says you can query the time by saying "what time is it?

What am I doing wrong -- I have tried it in map mode, with and without the nav function engaged and from a variety of screens.

I am going to the dealer for help on this, but not until next week so I figured I'd ask the cyber community first.

Thanks.
  • svetule4eksvetule4ek Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    Hi, everybody. I recently purchased TL 2005 and don't really like the navigation system. I used to have a Garmin GPS and it always gave me estimated time of arrival as oppose to my TL system that gives me estimated travel time, which really bugs me. Does every Navi system do that or I can change it somewhere in settings? Plus the travel time changes a lot as I go, and I really can't understand when I'm going to arrive.

I want to buy an updated disk for the system as mine is original and 6 years old now. Is this feature any different in updated versions? Thanks
  • cpn2cpn2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm pretty sure you cannot change it. I foolishly purchased the updated disk (for2010). The only changes are some expansions in map coverage and new POIs. Regarding the latter (which I have an ongoing beef with Acura about), they do not tell you that the 2010 update is the same as that installed in the 2010 Acura which came out in 2009. Their cutoff date for production is June 30th. Navteq, who gets the data from D&B and then sells it to Acura, has their own cutoff date of Jan 1st. So the newest POI data on the 2010 disk is from December 2008!
    I have yet to see Acura provide any new features to the software from year to year for the same "part #". Only when they change the part - because there is something new in the hardware - do they change the software. And that is NOT backwardly compatable. Like when they added iPod support in 2007.
    So you are unlikely to get an ETA on your 2005 - or much else you do not already have, EXCEPT (unless the fixed it in 2011) a buggy algorithm for calculating the routes. My 2010 version does some very strange routing that the version that came with my TL did not. Acura's response to my inquiry about this was SO bad, my current TL (my 3rd) will be my last.

Does anyone else find really odd routing in their Nav systems?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Dealer said it is supposed to work as I thought -- hopefully there is a software fix for this.

Does anyone else have this issue with a 2012 TL Advance SH-AWD?
  • org1org1 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2005 TL Nuvi. I recently purchased the updated disc. Everything is working great.
    I am able to delete the addresses from the set-up screen. I can not figure out how to delete the personal addresses. I went under user 1 and user 2 and there are a lot of personal addresses i both. Does anyone know how to delete them? I asked the dealer and they told me what I already know and it does not delete the personal addresses.
  • org1org1 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased the latest 2012, I have much better maps of my area. Also arrival estimated time. I like the DVD update much better than my 05 version.
  • zenicanjzenicanj Member Posts: 1
    Hi...I just received the "invitation" from Acura to buy an updated navigation DVD but my question is this. Shouldn't these updated discs be free during the factory warranty period?

I remember with our 99 TL that had the HDD based navigation system, the dealer handled
    the map updates for free when it was under warranty. Our old service records also reflect this was for free. That car has since been switched to a DVD based system, so perhaps I'd use the invitation to buy that update disc.
  • stevemwaasstevemwaas Member Posts: 1
    Are you sure the cost was $158? I just spoke with Alpine and they quoted me $358 for a 2006 unit...
    Yes. It was in 2011.

Are you sure it's a quote for a repair and not a replace?
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    Our '10 TL has developed a problem. The error says something like, "application error, cannot initialize" there is a little number "6" in the lower right of the error screen. I know this car has the technology package and am not sure how it is different from the older ones. I see a lot of "check disc" errors written about but they are all for cars '08 and older, but I'm not sure if this is the same issue. I know this unit has a hdd and a dvd player (for music) but don't know if the nav is on a dvd in the trunk or on the hard drive, and where said hard drive would be located. Any suggestions? I don't even have high mileage, about 42k! Never updated the maps, have had car since new.