Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2005 Facelift

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I forgot one

It should go:

Standard 2.4L 5M and 4A
    LE 2.4L 5M and 4A
    Limited 2.4L 5M and 4A
    etc...

Thanks for the nice words, folks. This is a great Exchg. place for information.

~alpha
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    I am considering a new 2004 Camry I4 automatic or waiting until the 2005 Camry I4 comes out? Are there disadvantages with the upcoming 5-speed auto trans? Would you wait until model year 2005 or get the 4-speed trans in the 2004?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Any word about the ABS being standard for '05?
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    Minor correction, there is no 5-spd Limited.

Yes, ABS is definitely standard on all '05 Camrys.
    Very Nice!
    How do you know that info?

~alpha
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Someone mentioned earlier that the 05 Camry is getting the Solara interior, is that true? The current dashboard sort of looks like a minivan.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    No, but it was said it will look "more like" the Solara than the current interior does. It will not be an actual Solara interior, just some parts will have a similar look but not the entire interior design.
    We will have to wait and see what actually happens.
  • blkcadillacblkcadillac Member Posts: 47
    What Toyota does for the Camry you can check back and reference is that after the third year of the Camry the fourth year model will be changed mildly..For example the the 92-96. The 1995 model got a more grille update while the some of portion of the rear were change. The 1997-2001 model got some freshing for the 2000 model year.. SO with this current Camry the 2005 will be mildly changed until the all new 2007 Camry arrives.
    For what its worth, the TMMK folks have stated with a good degree of unanimity that the upgrades to the 2005 Camry will be more significant than any of the mid cycle upgrades of the previous generations. Along with the front and rear re-stlying which you mention, noteworthy changes include Lexus-style electroluminescent gauge cluster, a few extra hp and foot pounds for the 2.4L, the addition of a 5 speed automatic for the 2.4L cars, greater availability of side airbags, mildly revised lowered dash with covered console bin, rear head restraint for the rear passenger, larger wheel and tire options, available VSC on all automatic transmission models (not just the V6s) Thats just a partial list.

So, as you can see, the Camry for 2005, while not being majorly redesigned, is going to be impressively improved.

~alpha
    I work at a Toyota dealership.

It appears that to get VSC on an LE, you will have to get the side airbags also. VSC will not be available on the Standard grade Camry.
    My apologies- I should have clarified on which 4s the VSC would be offered. I think it makes sense that the VSC be coupled with Side Curtains. Hopefully the pkg wont be more expensive than it currently is on the V6s (about $1150 MSRP, if memory serves me correctly).

Since you work at a dealership, please dont mind if I ask a few questions. Is ABS going to be standard on LE and SE 4s? And who is buying the "Standard" Camry? What is Toyota's purpose with this strangely positioned model? Value leader? Rental sales? I have a few theories on how I feel this vehicle may help bring the Camry's still-decent resale value back up to its more historically high levels. Both the Accord and Altima now post better resale %s than comparable Camrys, though otherwise the Camry ranks ahead of the class.

thanks!
    ~alpha
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    What is this model exactly? And what is the Limited model? Is the Standard model designed for fleets? Or is it more like the previous generation's Camry CE? And will the Limited be positioned above the XLE, or in between the LE and XLE?
    is available on Toyota's website.

The Limited has been around since the intro of the 2004s and is an LE with special options and trim, not the least of which includes a jazzy grille, very nice machine finished 16 inch alloys, and the JBL 6 disc upgrade. Mechanically, it is identical to the LE 4 cylinder automatic (and is offered only with an auto). The Limited is not available as a V6. Options include moonroof, ABS, Side Airbags/Curtains.

~alpha
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Any word on color? I am not a big fan of two-tone paint. But it looks like on the previous generation Camry. I think it was '00 or '01 model. Did they call it the Collector Edition with two-tone paint and nice alloy wheels?
    All 2005 Camrys will have ABS. Colors are mostly the same except adding a new green and there will be two blues.

I don't know what the deal is on the Standard other than they just kind of appeared with no real explanation from Toyota. I guess they just wanted to try a value priced model. The only thing you lose is keyless entry and the fullsize spare. Other than that, its identical to an LE. I think there are some other minor differences on the '05s. I can tell you that although the sticker is $1000 less than an LE, our cost is not!
    Thank you for the information.

~alpha
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    Do you know if XM Radio will be available with the 05 ?
    Good move with the standard ABS! That puts Camry back on my list.
    I read something about this, but now I can't find it. If I remember right, the JBL systems will be XM ready, like the current Solara. The actual XM radio would be dealer added.
    when Toyota begins production on the 05 Camry in about 1 week, will they also release the official specs & prices on their website the same day (or do they wait a week or two) ?

Any dealer-installed MP3/WMA CD player accessory (like on the Accord/Mazda6) ?
    What they really need to do instead of installing some stupid $800 single-disc MP3/CD player is to simply add an audio-in mini jack so you can plug in a portable device of *any* audio format, MP3/WMA,iPod,/XM/Sirius etc..
    It would only cost Toyota a few dollars per vehicle and would not be obsolete in 3 to 5 years.
    Likely they wont release specs, but rather a Press Release with a summary of changes.

~alpha
    BTW, official 05 Camry production began today (according to our source) The dealers should have them in 3-4 weeks. No press release yet on the Toyota website.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    is up on prnewswire.com

-Andrew L
    Thanks for the link. It says the cars are in showrooms today. It also says that ABS is standard on all cars - yesssss! Optitron gauges and only a $100 price increase. Now lets see how power and fuel mileage improved.

The pendulam may be swinging back to Toyota for me.
    It seems hard to believe that the cars are in the showrooms today when there are still no valid pictures online even on Toyota's own website.
    The cars ARE NOT in showrooms today. Official full scale production starts Tuesday June 5th, with pre-lim runs having occured this week, as mentioned above.

Does anyone know the URL for Toyota's "Pressroom" website? My "favorties" got deleted and I cant remember it... and for those who dont know... www.toyota.com is not always the speediest in updating its "News" section. Thanks!

~alpha
    Did seem a little optomistic!
    TORRANCE, Calif., July 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A.,
    Inc., announced manufacturer's suggested retail prices (MSRP) today for the
    2005 Camry sedan. The 2005 Camry arrives in dealer showrooms today.
    All Camry sedans receive enhancements for the new model year which include
    a restyled front fascia, grille, headlamps and rear taillamps. In addition to
    these styling changes, the Standard and LE grades receive new wheel cover
    designs. The sporty SE model receives a new unique grille, with 17-inch alloy
    wheels now standard on SE V6 models.
    Anti-lock Brakes (ABS) are now standard on all 2005 Camry sedans.
    Automatic transmissions on the four-cylinder models have been upgraded to a
    smooth-shifting five-speed electronically controlled transmission with
    intelligence (ECT-i).
    Inside, comfort and convenience features are enhanced. Lexus-like
    Optitron meters on the instrument panel, steering wheel audio controls and a
    rear center headrest are now standard equipment. Standard, LE and XLE
    four-cylinder models come with new fabric, while XLE V6 models are now
    equipped with standard leather-trimmed seats.
    With all this added value, Camry prices increase $100 on four-cylinder LE,
    SE and XLE models. Standard grade and the premium XLE V6 pricing remains
    unchanged, while V6 LE and SE models receive a price increase of $120 and
    $310, respectively.

Grade Engine Transmission Base MSRP Change
    Standard Four-cylinder (2.4L) 5-speed manual $18,045 0.0%
    Standard Four-cylinder (2.4L) 5ECTi $18,875 0.0%
    LE Four-cylinder (2.4L) 5-speed manual $19,145 0.5%
    LE Four-cylinder (2.4L) 5ECTi $19,975 0.5%
    SE Four-cylinder (2.4L) 5-speed manual $19,975 0.5%
    SE Four-cylinder (2.4L) 5ECTi $20,805 0.5%
    XLE Four-cylinder (2.4L) 5ECTi $22,395 0.4%
    LE V6 (3.0L) 5ECTi $22,380 0.5%
    SE V6 (3.3L) 5ECTi $23,625 1.3%
    XLE V6 (3.0L) 5ECTi $25,405 0.0%

Not in showrooms yet !!!
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Here you go:

http ://pressroom.toyota.com/

(I've inserted 2 spaces before the colen, in case I'm not permitted to insert the link. Just delete the spaces.)
    I thought the XLE would get the 3.3L but its not listed in the press release (only 3.0L)
    samnoe- thanks for the URL!

bklynguy- if you recall, on another forum in which we are both participants, there were divergent claims made regarding the availability of the 3.3L in the LE/XLE. Looks like we now have our answer.... no biggie.

Personally, I hope Toyota releases a bit more detail when they post this info on the Pressroom and general Toyota sites. For example, this PR doesnt mention VSC, which is generally accepted/believed as available on the 2005 4 cylinders (excluding, maybe, the "Standard"). I still believe it will be, since Toyota is offering it on the less expensive Corolla/Matrix lines. Also, I thought we were expecting another 5 hp out of the 2.4L VVTi?

Point of interest: With leather now standard on the XLE V6, which posts no price increase, the Camry and Accord (in EX V6 trim) are essentially priced on top of one another.

For me the very significant upgrades include:
    -standard ABS (finally... not much credit should be given to Toyota on this one, IMO)
    -5 speed auto for 4 cylinder models which should enhance performance and economy
    -Optitron instrumentation
    -steering wheel audio controls
    -center rear head restraint
    -more agressive(17 inch) tires for the SE V6

I am also hopeful that the new base (Standard, LE) wheelcovers are an improvement over the old ones.

I will say that I did expect Toyota to make the Side Airbags/Curtains standard on at least the XLE trim line, and I would have liked Toyota to add alloys standard to the SE and XLE 4s.

That said, I look forward to the more broadly distributed (and hopefully more detailed) press release on the http://www.pressroom.toyota website.

~alpha
    The website will usually be a little behind. Dealers do have full price lists already. I don't know of any audio accesories.

VSC definitely is optional on all models other than Standard grades. I would think there would be more detailed press releases coming. The info mentioned above is essentially the same info that dealers have. Our earliest 05 is not being built at Georgetown until the 6th, so we might have it that week, as long as they don't hold cars for quality audits.
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/

If you go to the Camry page on the Toyota website, it says:

2005 Camry information will be available next week.

Have a Happy 4th, Alpha (and everyone else)
  • zube00zube00 Member Posts: 2
    I just found this forum today. Unfortunatley for me I purchased an '04 XLE V6 yesterday. Had I known about the redesign I would have waited. I really hate my new car now.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    You still have one of the best built and most reliable cars on the road today.

Don't feel bad at all.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Not to mention that buyers won't find deals on the 05s like they are the 04s!
    Dont be so hard on yourself. The 2005 isnt really a redesign, its just a "freshening". Its not like any of the hardware has changed for the 2005 XLE V6 anyway- the 2004 and 2005 will offer identical driving experiences, given that the engines, tranmissions, tires, suspension... are the same.

No worries, and you probably got a better price than will be initially possible on the 2005, as mentioned above.

~alpha
    Toyota's Japan site is usually updated much quicker than the American site. Japan's Camry usually looks 98% like ours so here it is:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Camry/exterior- /index.html
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    As others have said, the changes are mostly cosmetic. Your car is still excellent. For future reference, you should do some research before buying a new car. It is well known that Toyota freshens most of their models in the 4th year of a cycle, so this is no surprise at all - in fact, it was expected.
    I like the Japanese model. Headlights look good, and the instrument panel is very nice - at least the non SE version (I assume the orange is the SE).
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Are those pics for the 04 or 05 Camry? The interior doesn't look that much different from the 04.
    The interior changes that were mentioned were there. Optitron gauges, and a covered center storage bin. I would guess this is pretty close to what we will get.
    The front end of the 05 Camry looks very much like the spy drawings that were out before the 2002 model debuted...

Pre-2002 release spy pic:
    http://www.mag-x.com/scoop/camry0103/03.jpg
    Dont forget the upgraded steering wheel with integrated audio controls!

~alpha
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Thanks for the update, Coolguy. Looks pretty nice to me.

I like the new grille and taillights.
    That is not necessarily how the 05 will look. Japan has unique styling for their home market. Often web sites will post pictures from another country and claim it is a picture of the US model.
    This happened when the new ES300 was coming out. A few years ago some websites posted pics of a Toyota sedan that was only sold in Japan and claimed it was the new ES300.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I believe that is how the 2005 Camry will look. I don't know what cars or trucks you are referring to as every Toyota I can think of has the same styling in Japan as it does here. There is no "Japanese-only Camry"...it is the same there as it is here. If you look back over the years mid-cycle changes have also been the same.

When you refer to some website posting false photos a new ES 300, don't forget this is not some enthusiast website but rather Toyota's own website (in Japan). Also, this is not speculation on a new model but rather a simple mid-life refresh.

If you check out the press release Toyota put out last week the changes mirror what they say will be changed.
    They had posted photos from the Japanese Toyota website of a Toyota sedan that is not exported to America and claimed that car would be the US ES300. It was posted here in the Edmunds Townhall by a user years ago.
    Photos from MagX and HollywoodXrtra also cannot be trusted since they are usually Photoshop fakes.
    The Camry in different countries often have at least different minor trim even when the body is about the same.
    Since the 2005 model will be updated with new trim (which may be uniquely styled for North America), do not assume it will be exactly the same as what Japan has.
This discussion has been closed.