Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2005 Facelift

Comments

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    The US Toyota site has been updated:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/camry/index.html
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    The Optitron gauges look nice (Lexus-like),
    front grille also makes it look more like the ES330 (Standard,LE,XLE)

2.4-liter DOHC
    16-valve VVT-i
    4-cylinder

5,700 rpm

4,000 rpm

in combination with the 5-speed, should go 0-60 under 9 secs.
    XM Radio is now a dealer-installed option.
    I don't believe leather can be had with the 4 cylinder SE anymore. The metallic gauge cluster has been dropped as well.
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    overall pretty good, not a big exterior change,I'm not sure I like the tailights, controls on the steering wheel and new gauges are nice
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Overall, I am pleased. The new instrumentation, coupled with the upgraded steering wheel and covered center stack bin, make the interior far more inviting, IMO. I like that the fuel and temperature guages now flank the speedo and tach, instead of being inside these meters.

I think the new 17 inch alloys on the SE, as well as the new SE grille.. are awesome. Verdict is out as far as the tailights, and Im not sure what I think of the Standard/LE/XLE grille yet. The new XLE/XLE V6 alloys are sharp (they look remarkably similar, if not the same as, the alloys on the 2004 Limited Edition).

160 horses is more appealing on paper than 157, but that alone will not contribute to any performance difference. As noted above, the 5 speed transmission will do more for acceleration, so I'm interested to see new tests on that combination. I hope the EPA figures are posted soon, it would be great to see the 2.4L/5A gain one or two MPG over the 4 speed unit (this would push fuel economy to 25/34).

I am confused as to the alloy wheel option for the SE 4- is it the same as the 2002-2004 models?

coolguy- Im not really about the silver-trim instrumentation being dropped from the SE line, IMO, it wasnt that attractive. Optitron is very sweet, especially in comparison.

I'm hoping that Toyota makes a reasonable number of vehicles available with the Side Airbags/Curtains; VSC option, and doesnt restrict it to certain trim lines.

The 2005 Camry that offers the best value, IMO:
    SE 4 cyl 5A with Side Airbags/Curtains & VSC, Convenience Pkg B, alloys and rear spoiler.

The Standard is also a screaming deal, if you can live with the ugly black mirrors and unavailability of options- for $1100 less than the LE at MSRP, all you really give up are the aforementioned color-keyed mirrors, 8-10 way adjustable power drivers seat, keyless entry, and full size spare tire.

~alpha
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    They should have made the 3.3L engine as an option for the LE and XLE models. That's the only fly in the ointment
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Looks like ABS is not standard on all Camrys - it is an option on the Standard. I am happy it is standard on the LE though.

Looked some more, and there is a conflict. ABS is listed as standard for the standard model, but it is also listed as an available option as well.
    I don't think that the optitron gauges are as wowing when they aren't the bright white color (as compared to the SE's amber color).
    Yes I like the bright white better as well - more contrast. Didn't like the silver gauges in the old SE for the same reason.
    The cosmetic update is great. Especially the gauges look a lot better than the 02-04 models. I like the front grille of the SE. But one wonders why Toyota still kept the somewhat antiquated 3.0 engine. 210 Hp isn't going to give you too much bragging rights compared to the Altima and Accord. But then again 80% of the buyers opt for the 4 cylinder and it is nice to know Toyota made significant improvement to the transmission.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    It is standard on all Camry. But the VSC and traction control are not aviable on Standard. Oh! They listed ABS (with side airbags) is an option on Standard on OPTIONS section. Which is right??

I agreed with several posters. I don't quite like the tail light. They relocated the backup lights to the bottom of the tail light lens assembles and leave a red tail light/stop light in the middle. And, still no foldable side mirrors.
    ABS is standard on all Camrys. VSC is optional on all but the Standard. The only option for the standard is Side Curtain Airbags.

~alpha
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    any ideas on how Toyota could have made the tail-lights better (they don't look that bad, I've seen worse)

I think Toyota did a great job with the 05 update, I'm sure some 04 owners wish they had waited.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I love the new Corolla tail lights! I think it's one of the best of todays sedans. Why don't copy that to the Camry?

BTW, I think to locate the backup lamps at the bottom is actually a good idea. It gives you more light when backing up in the dark.
  • kissamer1969kissamer1969 Member Posts: 9
    I noticed you worked at a dealership and I was wondering if you can mail me a Toyota 2005 Camry Brochure if you can get your hands on one. My soon to be ex-husband will not drive me to a Toyota dealership and we only have one vehicle. It's a 2003 Honda Odyssey, yuck!!! I am interested in the SE V6 with leather and Navigation. I'm glad I didn't get a 2004 but I know I could get a really good deal if I went with this year's model. I just really don't care for the metallic-style sport gauges and would prefer the simulated bird's eye maple dash applique. I live in Iowa and Forte Dodge is out of stock of brochures (if I wanted a mailed brochure). Well anyway, let me know, o-tay? Thanks.

~kissamer1969
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    did you try the toyota website? or try calling another dealership to see if they will mail you one
    I'd be really happy to help you out if I did work at a dealership, but I dont, so Im sorry if I said something that lead you to believe that.

2005 brochures will probably be available in a few weeks, there is often a lag vs. when the information is posted on Toyota's website.

Your best bet would be to call 800-GO-TOYOTA and explain to the rep that you'd like to be mailed the 2005 brochure when it becomes available.

~alpha
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    If you're really interested in this vehicle, you might also check out our Toyota Vehicle Detail Pages and order an InfoPak on the 05 Camry.

Since this vehicle is listed as a "new" rather than "future" vehicle now, we'll close this discussion in about a week.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

My first impression of the new tail lights design is like they put a masking tape at the top and bottom of the clear lens assemble and paint the middle in red. I like the tail lights on Avalon better, only if they can extend the red reflectors to the trunk lid.

It looks the small circle (near the grill) inside the headlight lens assemble is for daytime running lights. So, the DRL, high beam, low beam and turn signal.
    alpha01

I'm so sorry, I thought in the past post's, you worked at a Toyota Dealership. It must of been somebody else but you seem to know about these Camrys. I have to give you that. I will look back or if you know of someone who works at one. I already tried the website and the 800 number but I refuse to pay for a brochure. I'm sorry if I insulted you in any way. Thanks for responding.
    ~kissamer1969
    My first impression of the new tail lights design is like they put a masking tape at the top and bottom of the clear lens assemble and paint the middle in red. I like the tail lights on Avalon better, only if they can extend the red reflectors to the trunk lid.

It looks the small circle (near the grill) inside the headlight lens assemble is for daytime running lights. So, the DRL, high beam, low beam and turn signal.
    I think the tail lights look awsome but I have not seen the car in person but only on that Japan site. I also like the new dark blue but like I said before the computer picture can be deceiving. But if I get a 2004 SE V6, it would be black. Anyway, I'm new here so bare with me. Thanks.
    ~kissamer1969
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    ABS is definitely standard on all Camry for 2005. The Options page on Toyota's website is wrong.

As far as I know, brochures have not been sent to dealers yet. You can also download the brochures from Toyota's website, but they have not posted the 2005 one yet.
    Hey, sorry for the mix up. You are the one who works at a Toyota Dealership. You said I can download a brochure from the Toyota Site?? Ok, cool. I have been at the Janpanese Site and I have been looking at those pictures, WOW!!! I really like the 2005 Camry's a lot better since they did change the SE inside some. I have a question for you though, say I went with a 4-cylinder instead of a V6, since I have not test drove one yet, is there that much of a difference between the 4 and the 6??? I was also looking at a Honda Accord EX V6 and it had more horses but I have always thought Toyota was more on the classy side (Lexus look and feel). I also noticed the seats are made better in the Camry's compared to the Honda's (I have an Odyssey, 2003, Black with leather). I find I am not comfortable in those seats due to a bad back. Anyway, when you get a chance, can you please reply. Thanks.
    ~kissamer1969
  • hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    I am not a dealer, but I just bought a 2004 4Cyl SE in the Dallas Ft. Worth area, where we live on the highway. My previous was a 1989 4 Cyl Camry.

I feel that the 2004 4Cyl has adequate power and I like the 30+ MPG.

On the other hand, the V6 has power to spare, but it is a trade-off with cost and MPG.

That said, there were other differences on the 2004 that were not important to me, but that you may consider. I don't have nay facts, but I believe that the V6 is more solidly built and may have a better feel to it. I think VSC is easier to get with the V6. Finally, I think that Toyota put more care into the V6 Sports Edition, because they expected that more of the SE customers would prefer the greater power and handling.

I commute 30 miles in a straight line, so the extra handling wasn't important to me. Also, since the majority of my driving is Highway, MPG is more important than acceleration. I got the SE because I felt is was the best value for the safety features that I wanted at the time.

FWIW,

- hank2
    Can you get an LE Camry with the Manual tranny? When you look on the web site it is listed as one of the models, but when you try to build one, it is not available (I tried several zip codes). Is this vaporware to get the LE base price artificially low? I don't care about the full size spare so much, or even the power seats, but the keyless entry would sure be nice to have, as would the cassette player (libraries tend to not have many books on CD).
    I bought my wife a 2003 Camry SE (4 cycle) last summer to replace the old Accord. She really loves the car and its equipments. But she sometime feels it is underpowered when going uphill. I agree with hank2 about the cost for SE V6 (probably $2K more) and gas mileage.
    I have a feeling you may have to wait a long time to get a LE Camry with 5-speed transmission. I believe they only build few % of these. You may have more luck on SE 5-speed but with high price tag. The AM/FM/Cassette/CD and keyless entry are standard on LE.
    As long as you can get an SE without the sunroof that could work. I also prefer the gauges and spoiler free trunk of the LE. I will look into that.

How hard would it be for a dealer to add keyless entry to a Standard?
    The standard stereo on the Camry Standard, LE, and SE for 2005 is now a 6 speaker, single disc CD player. The Cassette player is optional as part of the JBL packages for the LE and SE models, and standard on the XLE, which feature the JBL 3 in 1 AM/FM Cassette 6 Disc In Dash CD changer. The Cassette player is unavailable from the factory on the Standard models, but probably available as a dealer installed accessory.

Regarding the V6 vs. the 4: The 4 should feel more responsive and post better 0-60 times by (completely my estimate) about a half a second, thanks to the new 5 speed automatic. Fuel economy will be even better than the 2004 4 clyinder/ 4 speed auto's already impressive 23/32.

Regarding the LE 5M: Don't forget that what is showing on the buyatoyota.com site is just the likely initial allocation to each zip code/dealer region. There are still a lot of 2004s around that need to be sold, so once those are gone, Id expect there to be wider availability of more 2005 Camry models. If you arent constrained, you can always look into having a dealership make a preference request for you. (I know very little about this process, but basically, from my understanding, its the closest that Toyota will come to "ordering" your car.)

~alpha
    Hey, thanks for responding. I live here in Iowa and most of my driving will be highway as well but I don't work, I'm disabled. But my doctor's are in Des Moines which is 2 hours away. I just want to feel safe knowing I can pass a car or semi-truck with confidence since we have a lot of one lane roads. I almost got a Rav4 for that reason because I'm scared of those big trucks. But I don't have a lot of money to throw around. With gas being so expensive do you really think a V6 would put that much of a dent in my pocket book?
    ~kissamer1969
    That's cool that you got your wife a newer car. But that is another fear I have, being able to get up a hill ok without dragging my butt behind. Not like there is a lot of hills here in Iowa but you never know if you travel somewhere. Thanks for your input.
    ~kissamer1969
  • smitty3smitty3 Member Posts: 1
    Been waiting to get my hands on an SE4/M ....3 and halfs months so far.... could be another two till I see it....First answer "No Prob 6-8 weeks" Second answer was "Opps got to wait for the 05'" Third "We got the special order in...could be another 30-60 days"

They are telling me that they are only make that style/tranny in Japan? Any truth to that?
    Hey, I noticed you said something to the fact that the new 2005 Camry's 4-cylinders will be more responsive and I think a little faster on acceleration time. So if I go with a new 2005, will I be able to pass a truck ok or go up hill with not slowing down dramatically?? I mean I would love to get the better gas mileage if I can get away with it. When you get a chance, can you please let me know what you think, thanks.
    ~kissamer1969
    Without disrespect to your question, kissamer1969, I feel its necessary to state that for my post or any that you read here- you're reading the opinions of others. Of course, you can learn of a vehicles a 0-60 time, which is a fact, but outside of that, the acceleration YOU need to feel comfortable passing trucks and what not may be different from that which I need. I can tell you that our 2002 Camry 4 cylinder is plenty strong in nearly all circumstances. For the 2005, which has an extra gear, acceleration should be improved even.

My recommendation to you is to drive, back to back, a 2005 4 cylinder, then drive a 2005 V6 over the same route. Nail the accelerator from a stop, cruise at 30 MPH and nail the accelerator to 55, and and then do the same, if you can, from 50 to at least 70. Observe, and make your decision factoring in things like if you carry loads what that would do.

good luck!
    ~alpha
    A 4-cyl Camry is certainly faster than a RAV 4.
    If you drive the I4 and V6 back to back it will be very difficult to forgo the V6, trust me. If paying a bit more at the gas pump isn't a big deal for you and you can spend the extra 2 to 3 grand, get the V6. While the 4 cylinder is certainly no slouch, it can't hold a candle against the V6. The gap between 160 hp and 225 hp is a lot. The extra power of the V6 does come in handy in passing and merging situation.
    If the extra power of the V-6 over the I-4 makes a difference in safety for passing and merging, then you should not be passing or merging in those situations. The 4-cyl has plenty of power to be safe. It wasn't that long ago that the fastest V-8 Mustang was slower than todays 4-cylinder Camry.

Now if you WANT the V-6 because you like the feel of the acceleration that is another matter.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Someone always posts that where they live they need 200+ HP because the on ramps are short and the need to be able to quickly pass 18 wheelers on steep inclines, 4-cylinder engines endanger their family's lives etc..
    "If you drive the I4 and V6 back to back it will be very difficult to forgo the V6, trust me."

I disagree. The 3.0L V6 feels stronger, but this is not like the last generation Camry- the 4 has authority to it, sounds very refined, and offers good response. For me, no doubt the difference is noticeable, but hardly night and day. My parents went with the 4 because they couldnt really justify the V6 for their moderate, relaxed driving styles against the extra 2 grand in cost plus the added fuel (plus the recommendation, but not requirement, of premium for best performance). The car's power has never left them, (or me, though I drive the Camry far less) lacking for power, or in a perilous spot, which is why I said what I did in the above post. The LE and XLE still come with the 210 hp V6, which IMO, does NOT feel as strong as the SE V6's 225hp 3.3L, due to 20 fewer foot pounds of torque coming 800 RPMs higher on the tach.

~alpha
    I believe it is simple a comment on her Camry SE (4 cycle) and not a complaint when going uphill. It runs much better than our last car (10 year old Accord with 125 hp). She first thought SE V6 will be powerful for her to handle. I occasionally drive the car and I don't see any problem when going uphill and on ramps except the light steering at highway speed. Many said this is normal due to the outdated technology. Overall, she really loves it. You need to drive both to compare.
  • camrysev6ownercamrysev6owner Member Posts: 66
    I have a silver (even though I think white looks better) 2003 Camry SE V6. I love the integrated controls on the steering wheel of the 2005. I am those who like to play around with the radio buttons alot while driving and find that they're quite a bit of a reach in my car. I miss the silver gauges that distinguished the SE from other Camry models. Also, I don't see the use of a cover for the storage bin under the climate controls except to hide your valuables when you have parked your car.

The 2005's exterior looks meaner from the front and sportier. However, I like how the 2002-2004 Toyota badge sticks half way out of the grille at the top instead of being in the center of the grille. I also like the shape of the 02-04 fog lamps better than the new ones because it goes well with the curved headlight cover. The new one looks like a rectangle. I don't really like the tailights of the 05 especially with its white lens at the top and bottom and two circles in the red lens.

And have I mentioned how much I love those buttons on the new steering wheel?
    Hey, like I said before, I am new here and just bare with me. In what you said in your post, yes, you are right, I do need to feel comfortable in passing trucks and may be different from what YOU need. No hard feelings. I wish I could just go to a dealership and test these cars out but in my circumstances I am trapped. My soon to be ex-husband will not let me drive or even have a license (going on 14 years), so you can call me an unexperienced driver if you want. Anyway, that is a problem in itself. In what I have been reading in other posts in opioions is that a 4-cynlinder, 2005 would most likely be just fine unless I want to play a little with the car. Thanks again for your response.
    ~kissamer1969
    I am so glad I didn't get a Rav4!! Thanks for your input and opinion. Your right, as I am an experienced driver due to my own circumstances, I will just have to wait until I can get to a dealership and test both the 4 and 6. Thanks for responding.
    ~kissamer1969
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    How can you drive a car much less buy a car without a license?
  • newcamownrnewcamownr Member Posts: 1
    I know that Central Florida has had some LE Camrys with 5 speed manual. You might search 32801 zip code. I took one for a test drive a few weeks ago and it drove great but decided on an automatic as a more trip orientated car. First Time Toyota Owner

Shawn
  • bernie3bernie3 Member Posts: 48
    I have been researching a purchase of a new Camry and just found out the 2005 models have been in showrooms since 7/1/04. Apparently there are some nice upgrades for only $100 more. All the sites seem to give info & photos for the 2004s only. Are 2005s in showrooms, and are details and price quotes available on the web? Is the $1,000 rebate available on the '05 LE model? I live in rural Northern CAL, with only one dealer within 150 miles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    They are not just $100 more or no one would buy any remaining 2004 models. They probably will not take much off the MSRP until the 2004 models are gone.
    The rebates on the 2004s also do not apply to the 2005 models.
    It will not cost just $100 more to buy a 2005 model as a 2004 model or the 2004 models would just sit unsold forever.
    Despite what you may have read in Toyota's Press Release (which I was thoroughly unimpressed with), the 2005 Camrys began mass production on July 1st, but were not at dealerships.

At MSRP, you are correct, most of the 2005 Camry models are about $100 more than the comparable 2004, but with significant upgrades. But as 307web stated, rebates will not be available on the 2005 Camrys for at least some time. It remains to be seen how close to invoice the 2005s will be selling in their initial allocations, but there will definitely not be rebates, my guess is at least not until around October/November at the earliest.

A Camry is still a Camry.... if you want an 2005 and live in even a reasonably populated area, Im sure you can find a dealer that will work with you to get you in one. You could always "threaten Accord", since that vehicle already has most of the Camry's upgrades for this year (Optitron, 5 speed auto for the 4 cylinder, etc.). An Accord EX 4 cylinder 5A with side curtain airbags option stickers at $23,300, but can be had in my area for about $20,400.

~alpha
    But the Accord is still a 2004 model, so you need to compare apples to apples. You may be able to get a 2004 Camry for even less, but you may have a hard time finding side curtain airbags on a Camry that's not loaded with a lot of stuff you don't want or isn't an XLEV6 stickering around $30K.
    On the other hand for 2005, side curtain airbags are supposed to be standard on all the Accords, so you won't even need to upgrade to an EX to get them, so dealers won't be able to hold prices up on the 2005 Camry for very long after most of the 2004s are gone, but today they don't have much reason to discount much on a 2005. Then fall of 2005, the 2006 Accord gets freshened and slightly restyled.
This discussion has been closed.