Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2005 Facelift

Comments

• bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    This person works at the Georgetown plant and saw a 2005 Camry SE.

http://www.camryman.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1500
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Outstanding, thank you for that info. Sounds like very attractive updates. And from the mention of "summer" commercials, I think we are going to see the revised Camry earlier than Sept/Oct timeframe. Perhaps added impetus came from Nissan's recently introduced and improved 05 Altima. For me, the Camry faces stiff competition from a formerly unnoticed foe- the Subaru Legacy. The 2005 model of that vehicle looks to be truly outstanding, and has won accolades such as Japan's Car of the Year. (Standard 4 wheel discs, AWD, ABS, and side/side curtains. Very slick looking interior and exterior, and an improved version of Subaru's 2.5L engine. Available 250hp turbo.)

I am very interested to see the mechanical changes to the 2005 Camry- hopefully wider availability of side airbags and curtains, VSC, and a few extra HP will be available for the 4s, and I wonder if the LE/XLE V6s will continue with the 3.0L engine, or move to the 3.3L.

~alpha

PS- Host, is there a reason why the requests to change the name of this forum to "2005 Camry" (from the current incorrect name) by me and others have been ignored?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Uh... just because I goofed. I meant to do it, then forgot. It's done now. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Hopefully standard ABS for 2005 - that is the only way I would buy a Camry as it seems impossible to locate a manual tranny with ABS and no sunroof.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Great info. And the good about this is he allowed to tell many insider information. It is a totally different story for Honda. He gave many details on headlights and tail lights.
    Is anyone able to understand Toyota's marketing strategies these days? What EXACTLY is a "Standard Camry". The way this Press Release describes it, it sounds like an LE, but cheaper, with no loss of equipment? What? It also sounds like it is still an 04 model, not an 05 just yet. If anyone knows anything, please share.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- =20040402b

~alpha
    Apparently, the 2004 Camry (w/o Side Airbags) has been crash tested by NHTSA. The ratings are remarkably different from the Camry's former ratings.

2002 Camry
    Frontal Impact:
    Driver 5 stars/Passenger 4 stars
    Side Impact:
    Driver 2 stars/Passenger 5 stars

2003 Camry
    Frontal Impact:
    Driver 5 stars/Passenger 4 stars
    Side Impact:
    Driver 3 stars/Passenger 5 stars

2004 Camry
    Frontal Impact:
    Driver 4 stars/Passenger 4 stars
    Side Impact:
    Driver 4 stars/Passenger 3 stars

So, for the 2004 model year, in the frontal impact, the driver dummy dropped to 4 stars, despite no engineering changes to the restraint and or frontal structure.

In the side impact, the Driver dummy increase to 4 stars, but the rear passenger dropped AN ENTIRE 2 stars to a 3 star rating. However, I am not aware of any engineering changes to the rear door/and or side beam enginner and construction.

VERY interesting. What gives at NHTSA? I'm not sure why, but the 2004 Camry produced an HIC on the rear dummy that is dangerously high- 999-but I dont believe this is included in the star rating. Odd that the HIC for the rear dummy in the 2002/2003 was in the 470s. (At the time this was not reported on the summary page, but can be still be found on the vehicles detailed and ultra huge PDF file).
    ~alpha
  • asawasaw Member Posts: 54
    http://www.toyotasingapore.com.sg/showroom/camry/

Personally I like the new tail lights better in the Taiwan and Vietnamese Toyota websites. Also the front lights in those sites look more "high class" than the Singapore one.
    But good attempt at digging up some dirt! The fascia and taillamps do not seem congruous with the description of the 2005 Camry that has been posted by others on different boards ("others" that work at TMMK, and have seen the advertising cars).

~alpha
  • asawasaw Member Posts: 54
    So the new tail lights for the 05 Camry are like those as shown on the Taiwanese/Vietnamese web sites? Not according to the posts I've been reading. It's probably more in line with the Singapore site.
    The taillamps on the 2005 USA Camry do not necessarily have to be the same taillamps from anywhere else around the world. From what I've read, they are not like the Sing, Taiwanese, or Vietnamese current Camry taillamps. Dont forget, the USA is where Toyota sells the most Camrys.

More news.
    The end of the 3.0L V6 has been announced at TMMK. Not sure yet as to whether this means sooner or later, but if the 3.0L V6 is offered for 2005, it will be offered along with the 3.3L V6 for the LE and XLE V6s. The SE V6 will likely continue with only the 3.3L used. A 3.5L engine has been announced for use in the 2006 Camry and Avalon. (2006 Avalon due in Spring of 2005, FWIW).

One of the major changes for the 2005 Camry (and short run 2005 Avalon) is that the 5 speed automatic will be standard across the board. No word yet as to upgrades to transmission software further than what has already occured.

The Camry will also have several new colors, one of which is similar to the lightish (bizarre, IMO)blue that was offered on Gen 4 Camrys. I think it was called Constellation Blue, but that may be a different one (I'm trying here...)

To recap, VSC is also expected to be offered on all models, 17 inch wheels will be available at least on the SE V6s, if not others, and the interior is slightly upgraded, with a covered bin where the open area now exists on the lower dash.

~alpha
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Would they replace all 15" wheels to 16" for LE ? I found 15" wheel is too small for Camry compared its body and weight. I have upgraded to 17" on my car
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I think the color you are thinking of (light blue on 2000-2001 Camry) is Constellation Blue. ;-)
  • sev6sev6 Member Posts: 26
    Hi I'm new. Are there going to be any updates to the 05 Es 330?
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    I heard that the ES will probably change in 2007. On the other hand, they may change somethings, like power aerials (if they havent already) to the diversity ones. Just small things like that
    I was thinking if it would get a facelift like the camry. I don't like the 330's headlights. Thanks for your help though.
    I was thinking if it would get a facelift like the camry. I don't like its headlights. Thanks for your help though.
    The ES330 will also have a 'freshening' for 2005, but its not going to be dramatic, so if you dont like the 2004 headlights, dont expect to be wow-ed by the 2005s.

The Camry upgrades, preliminary, in terms of features and mechanicals/performance, look fairly significant. No confirmed photos yet though.

~alpha
    Thanks.
    Hoping for standard ABS.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    That would be a mixed blessing. The 5-speeds on the Lexus ES330 and earlier 300 were plagued with problems and drove many owners wild. Toyota's 4-speed has been nearly flawless.
    "The 5-speeds on the Lexus ES330 and earlier 300 were plagued with problems and drove many owners wild."

From what Ive read, the issues with the ES300 transmission were more pervasive than the ES330. Also, theres no saying that the unit for the 4 would be tuned the same. When I drove the ES330 in March, I did notice a slightly artificial throttle feeling... but it wasnt anything that would make me write the car off. Indeed, the kickdown from 5th at 40 MPH when accelerator was nailed wasnt the quickest, but it also wasnt the slowest, and overall the passing experience was positive.

~alpha
  • andy71andy71 Member Posts: 96
    I know what you are talking about. I guess this drive by wire throttle system isn't all its cracked up to be. Personally, I liked the old cable linked throttle just fine. What exactly is the advantage of drive by wire anyway?
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    found this info
    DRIVE-BY-WIRE
    The idea is to remove the mechanical linkages between the controls of a car and the devices that actually do the work. Instead of operating the steering and brakes directly, the controls would send commands to a central computer, which would instruct the car what to do. The great advantage being put forward for this is that the computer is able to make the steering, suspension and brakes work together to give the carbetter handling, especially in bad road conditions, to give better fuel consumption, and to react to emergencies faster than a human driver could. Though the vehicle would look much the same, it would be transformed into what one industry expert calls “a computer network with a car wrapped round it”.
    Here is the most comprehensive list of new features & changes for the 2005 Camry based on info from someone who works at TMMK (alpha already mentioned some of these changes above):

- 5 speed auto for 4 cylinder models
    - VSC available for 4 cylinder models
    - larger, 17 inch alloys wheels and tires on at least SE V6 which resemble a machine-finish version of the Solaras 17 inch wheel (which has a shiny finish)
    - covered center console bin (as compared to open on current)
    - Optitron instrumentation on all models
    - new light clusters within current design style of headlights
    - new grille and front bumper
    - new light clusters within current design style of taillights
    - 3.3L V6 available on Camry LE and Camry XLE (as compared to just SE currently)
    - new steering wheel design with audio controls
    - rear seat gets center headrest
    - cassette player removed (optional?)
    - HVAC/audio controls look different
    - new exterior colors (2 or 3)
    - Tire Pressure Warning System
    - slightly different luggage lid
    - XM Radio ??? (available now on the Camry Solara)
    - no HID headlights (expected on the 07 Camry)

Production of the 05 Camry begins July 6,2004 (according to someone else)
    On siennaclub.org someone said that ABS will be standard for all new 2005 Camrys. I seen some people here at camryman. I'm there as Atoyot.
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    Any word on 4-wheel discs being standard? It's a shame they go through all that trouble to upgrade the car but keep the same cheapo drums on the 4-cyl models.
    looks like some nice changes,only thing I'll be jealous of is the 3.3L engine and covered center console doesn't sound bad either..perhaps we will be able to buy it now
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Or, you could wait until the '07 model to see the major redesign.
    Any talk of a diesel or hybrid model - Accord has one due this fall. Fuel prices keep on rising.
    but expect one shortly thereafter.

~alpha
    I don't think it's an exaggeration that many owners of the Lexus ES330 and 300 are very upset with the 5-speed transmission in that vehicle. Check the Lexus ES300/330 site. An entire topic is devoted to (real or imagined) transmission problems with that car.
    I already have 5 speed AT on my camry, I have no complaints
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    Anyone know how much of a horsepower and torque increase the 4-cyl might get?
  • andy71andy71 Member Posts: 96
    Around 162 Hp and 165 ft-lb of torque. But the 5 speed auto would make it feel much quicker. Expect 0-60 time in the mid to high 8 seconds. Sould be enough for somebody who wants a fuel efficient but dependable transportation from Point A to B.
    That should put the manual tranny squarely under 8 seconds. Not too bad!
    Good to hear you have no problems with your 5-speed. It's not slow to downshift at about 40, etc? No lag, no shudder? Great.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I know several people with an ES, including one in the family. No transmission problems.
    The problem usually has to be induced by a certain agressive driving style. Many people do not drive in a way that they would notice the transmission downshift lag even though it may exist.
  • boomsamaboomsama Member Posts: 362
    There some info here about the facelifted ES coming June at :

http://editorial.carsales.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/A7D063A- 774581D2BCA256E99002E567E

The sites Australian so the ES300 = ES330 in US
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 1
    I hope they design the new Camry SE V6 engines to run on "regular" unleaded fuel, not Premium. (like the Accord V6)

I am very tempted to buy the 04 or 05 SE V6, but with gas prices soaring I just can't decide. Dealer has quoted me an Internet price of $21,588, plus tax and license.

Do you think it's worth waiting for the 05 model? Any websites I can go to that have pictures of the new 2005 Camry? (above links didn't work.)

Thank you.
    no pictures of the 05 Camry (US/Canadian version) available yet. There are some pictures of the Asian version (only the taillights come close to what we're getting minus the lights in the trunk lid)

http://www.u-car.com.tw/model-images/NC-a75b1345-1897L.jpg

We plan to wait for the 05, new features like Optitron instrumentation, covered center bin, audio controls in the steering wheel, better looking taillights (we can wait 2 more months for that)
    The 3.3L does not REQUIRE Premium. It is in the manual that premium is recommended for best performance and economy, and I believe this is stated for the Accord as well.

~alpha
    That is not stated for the Accord as well.
    Regular unleaded is recommended for the Accord, but you can also use premium.
  • cclpcclp Member Posts: 4
    I have decided to buy the Camry SE V6, but I am not sure whether to go for 04 model with its 1.9% APR/48 months financing, or wait for the better 05 model to arrive in Fall (August?). I like that the 05 model will have revised wheels, tires, instrument panel, front and rear styling (head and tail lights), and hopefully also some improvements on the transmission, 2nd to 3rd gear shift, the rattling noise and build quality. But the price will probably be higher and I'll probably end up paying ~6% APR. Does Toyota offer better financing on models for the following year? I would appreciate any different points of view that would help me decide. Thanks.

BTW, the discussions in these forums have been very helpful in deciding our next car.
    Thats great, my friend! Im really happy to hear that youve gained useful knowledge here. Please stick around and keep us posted with regards to your purchasing and satisfaction. In answer to your question about interest rates on following year models, I dont think that Toyota offers anything better than a comparable current year model, unfortunately.

However, heres something worth considering: Toyota is running a special $1000 Recent Grad Rebate from now until Aug 31st. If its available on the 2005 Camry, and it just might be, you may be able to save quite a few dollars.

IMO, if you want the latest and greatest, it seems as though the 2005 will offer a fairly significant upgrade from the 2004, especially in so far as Toyota mid-cycle refreshes are concerned. However, if money is a real issue, and your budget is constrained, it would be VERY worth it to cash in on the current rebates/financing in your area.

~alpha
  • cclpcclp Member Posts: 4
    I really wanted to get your informed feeback on it, alpha01! And now I have decided to wait for the 05 SE V6. I'd rather have a better car, even if it'll cost slightly more. I will provide an update when I revisit this decision again in Fall. Appreciate the input, alpha01!
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Alpha;

Are you positive that the 3.3L engine will be available for the LE and XLE? My dealer told me they haven't heard any such things. Knowing Toyota, I wouldn't be surprised if they back out at the last moment. I just visited Toyota's website. Their nomenclature is kind of confusing. Apparently for 4 cylinder Camrys, STANDARD/LE/LIMITED EDITION all refers to the same car. Whereas for V6 there are no STANDARD or LIMITED EDITION MODEL.
    The 3.3L option in the LE/XLE is not confirmed, and if I presented it as such, I apologize. Some of the ambiguity comes from the fact that the 3.0L is being "phased out", but nobody seems to be sure of the timing or what this entails.

Im not sure what you mean that the Standard/LE/Limited edition are the same car. They're trim lines. The SE and XLE are the same basic car as well- a Camry.

The current Camry line-up includes:

Standard 2.4L 5M and 4A
    LE 2.4L 5M and 4A
    SE 2.4L 5M and 4A
    XLE 2.4L 4A
    LE V6 3.0L 5A
    SE V6 3.3L 5A
    XLE V6 3.0L 5A.

Hope that helps. For 2005, the four cylinders will be going to a 5 speed auto, for what its worth, but the above is what is available right now.

~alpha
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Yes, thanks again, alpha01 for providing ever-so-helpful info!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.