Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hybrid Honda Accord

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Here are two things we do know:

* Honda has not recalled ANY '05 Accords for transmission problems. They have recalled '03 and "early" '04 models.

* The transmission in the HAH is different from those in other Accords, e.g. it is 2.4 inches shorter.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    If we all thought like you we'd have NO fuel left for our children!

I just checked my records and odometer. Since my oil change 1/6/04 I have put 4289 miles on my Suburban. I have bought 285.9 gallons of gas not counting the fill up yesterday. That figures out to a shade over 15 mpg for this year to date. How many gallons of gas have you used this year? I bought the Suburban June of 1998. It has 48,306 miles on it. That comes out to a 7338 miles per year average, at 15 mpg. How much gas did you use over the last 6 and a half years? How many cars have you owned in that time, taking into account the massive pollution created with every new car manufactured. If you were as interested in saving fuel as you are in attacking other people's choice in vehicles, you would be driving an Insight and not that gas hog Accord. My 1978 Honda Accord got better mileage than this new HAH. It was plenty big enough for our family of four. I got more speeding tickets with it than any car before or since. It had plenty of power and performance. Honda peeked out in 1985 and have gone down hill on economy since that time. We should be averaging over 40 mpg across the board. instead we are at 24.4 mpg. Don't cry to me about the waste of gas by SUVs. All cars sold in the USA with maybe 6 exceptions are fuel wasters. Honda does have two of them. The HAH is NOT one of them.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    My 1978 Honda Accord got better mileage than this new HAH.

Based on your personal experience with both, I’m guessing the 1978 model was faster, better equipped, more refined, more comfortable, safer and a hell lot cheaper too! People would rush to buy one of those if Honda decided to sell them. Correct?
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    "The HAH is NOT one of them."

That is relative, actually. If you compare the HAH to the similar Accord V6, then it IS a fuel saver, not a waster.

And that's the point of hybrids - saving fuel. The HAH saves fuel over the non-hybrid version of the car just as the Civic Hybrid saves over the non-hybrid version of the Civic. No difference.

You cannot say the HCH "IS" a gas saver using relative comparisons and then turn around and say the HAH "IS NOT" a fuel saver using the same relative comparison.

That's talking out of both sides of the mouth, and is incorrect factually.
    You cannot say the HCH "IS" a gas saver using relative comparisons and then turn around and say the HAH "IS NOT" a fuel saver using the same relative comparison.

I can and did say the HCH is a gas saver. It is not a relative thing. By your analogy my Suburban with the small V8 is an economical vehicle compared to the Suburban with the big V8. Unless I am hauling a lot of people or stuff it is wasting gas. If you are driving solo in the HCH it is wasting gas relative to the Insight.

I have set in my mind that to be an economical car you need to get at least 40 mpg combined. That leaves all but a handful of cars guzzling gas IMO. It is yours and my right to get a car that uses as much gas as we can afford. That does not make it right or prudent. I have said it so many times I cannot remember. Honda missed the boat on the HAH. They had a chance to make an impact on gas usage and opted to appease the very few that would prefer performance to economy. Some will buy them just so they can wear a green hat and give the impression they care about our diminishing fuel supply. That is our right as US citizens. It does not change my opinion on the direction Honda took on the HAH.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    "The transmission in the HAH is different from those in other Accords, e.g. it is 2.4 inches shorter."

Backy,

just curious to know where you got the stats about the transmission sizes?
    As you can see from this thread, I am not the only one that feels a combined 35 mpg is not that great, or worth bragging about.

kernick, "Why can't we give up our gas guzzling Cars and SUV's?" #841, 12 Dec 2004 10:36 am
    Note about transmission size was in C/D's review of the HAH, 12/04.
    Quote from linked post:

Most vehicles guzzle gas because WE - the market, have told mfr's thru our purchases that we will to have more powerful, larger, and more luxurious vehicles.

What do people who buy V8 luxury cars and very large SUVs tell manufacturers? IMO, someone who owns these kinds of cars and not cars that get even close to 40 mpg combined has no moral authority to come in here and complain endlessly about Honda not delivering a HAH that can deliver over 40 mpg combined.

Now, could we talk more about what the HAH is, vs. what some people wish it would have been? Maybe those new owners out there could give us some more details on the car.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    quote gagrice-"I can and did say the HCH is a gas saver. It is not a relative thing. By your analogy my Suburban with the small V8 is an economical vehicle compared to the Suburban with the big V8."

That is true, but again, RELATIVE, as in the fact that the HAH is a much larger gas saver percentage-wise compared to it's ICE sibling than your Suburban comparison.

We MUST use relative comparisons, unless we all want to be driving two-seater Insights. Not EVERY SINGLE CAR can get 40+ MPG - it's never going to happen. We should TAKE, ACCEPT, and APPRECIATE all our MPG gains where we can get them.

quote gagrice-"Honda missed the boat on the HAH. They had a chance to make an impact on gas usage and opted to appease the very few that would prefer performance to economy."

You are missing the boat on Honda's strategy, which is to put their IMA system in ANY car they want in their product line. That means they can create a "greenER" Accord and capture a buyer who doesn't want to sacrifice power or performance but who will APPRECIATE a few extra miles per gallon.

Honda will continue putting IMA systems into other cars and trucks, and REMEMBER: every single gallon of gas saved is precious, so poo-pooing the HAH's gas savings is irresponsible.

It doesn't require "extreme sacrifice from the many" but it does take "gradual sacrifice from the few" to make solid, measurable progress.

The HAH *IS* progress............
    "I bought the Suburban June of 1998"

Gagrice, dont forget to mention that at that period of time an oil barrel was only $10 vs. the $40-55 range today. The abundance of oil back then made conservation a non-issue,

Oil markets are a bit less predictable than throwing dice. Just imagine if oil prices drop back to $10 in 2007. Everyone who bought a hybrid today to save on gas would end up looking like a jokester, while the SUV buyers would have the biggest grins on their faces.(especially with the great deals for SUVs today, compare to the full or premium to MSRP of hybrids)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Just imagine if oil prices drop back to $10 in 2007. "

Rather unlikely; China is using more and more fuel, a trend that is likely to increase.
    Nothing is a given! Oil prices may increase! Oil prices may decrease!

If it was a guarantee that oil prices would go up and not down, everyone would be billionaires investing in the oil futures markets.
    What do people who buy V8 luxury cars and very large SUVs tell manufacturers?

The same exact thing the person that buys a V6 Accord when a 4 cylinder Accord or better yet a Civic will give them the same utility. If you want to base it on comfort, safety or utility the large SUV has it over any of the small cars.

Those that attack the morals of people that want as much comfort and utility as they can afford. Should at least go with the most economical car that is available. Otherwise there is no difference between the person that buys a V6 Accord and the guy that buys the Tahoe. They bought what they liked without taking the waste of fossil fuel into account.

I am eagerly awaiting a report on the mileage of the HAH cars that are out there now. This is just rhetoric to keep this thread close to the top of the list.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "This is just rhetoric to keep this thread close to the top of the list."

Yes. And we'll all get an ice cream cone.
  • nemonemo Member Posts: 7
    Gas consumption is not the only impact - new Hondas burn cleaner than ever before. Cleaner does not always = more power or higher gas mileage, but once you've been stuck behind that old turbo diesel mecerdes (which may still get great mileage) you get the idea. A good questions is whether the new generations of turbo diesels are better than hybrids for the environment. I like the idea that the accord hybrid is just as safe as performs better than the current accord v6 while getting higher fuel economy - sounds like a win win.
    If you feel that a Civic can give someone the same "utility" as an HAH, then I know you would agree that a car like an Accord or Camry can give someone the same utility as a Lexus, and it would be interesting to know why you bought a Lexus instead of a lesser car--just to kill time until the owners report. ;-)
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Nemo:

new Hondas burn cleaner than ever before.

___The HAH is not nearly as clean as the I4 PZEV based Accord some may not yet have considered :-( In terms of g/mi. of most pollutants (non-GHG’s), the HAH is not any cleaner then many GM trucks and multiple other manufacturers ULEV-II rated SUV’s.

Cleaner does not always = more power or higher gas mileage

___Cleaner emissions can have 0 impact on both performance and/or FE as is the case of most PZEV’s including the I4 based Accord.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    Wayne

I guess you own a Honda Insight. Do you have

any idea as to how many Insights are sold so

far the World over.

Seems Insight-2005 has been launched.

http://hybridcars.about.com/blphot_Insight1.htm
    it would be interesting to know why you bought a Lexus instead of a lesser car

My wife bought it long before we were married. I would not have bought it. Well maybe the SC300/400. I haul too much stuff to own anything but a truck. I wish I had bought another Chevy truck when I got the Suburban. That was the last wife that made me compromise. My biggest complaint on the Lexus is the enormous cost of maintenance. Lexus is a rip-off BIG TIME in the service dept. I have bought new cars from all the major manufacturers and some not so major, over the last 40 years. Domestics by far are more reliable & less expensive to maintain.
    Hi Yerth10:

___Yes, I do. It is the dirtiest car in my fleet in terms of SMOG emissions (well it actually ties my 03 Ranger XLT) but by far the best in terms of GHG production and actual fuel saved per miles driven.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Do they have even the slightest interest in hybrid vehicles?

Looks like they just relish putting down other people's interests.
    "The transmission in the HAH is different from those in other Accords, e.g. it is 2.4 inches shorter. "

Thanks for the response.

So what does this mean? Does this imply the HAH has a different transmission from the Accord because of the 2.4 inches. Or do they have the same transmission designs? (except for the 2.4 inches in order to probably the accomodate the hybrid system). The latter sounds the most likely scenario since it does not make economic sense to have one transmission design for Accord and another for HAH.

In otherwords if both have the same transmission(except for the 2.45 inches)---the HAH will be exposed to the same transmission problems as the Accord.

Please correct me if my conclusion is wrong? As you can tell by now I am not an engineer! But I am in the financial area and it really does not make economic sense for both to have diffent transimission designs.
  • grantgrant Member Posts: 3
    My family owns two Toyota Prius vehicles...there are not enough pages in a book to describe how difficult they were to obtain...especially without the current $6000 average premium added to the sticker price in the NYC area. With the exception of the Toyota service (we gave up our Infinity and Lexus cars..so we feel we are cattle in a slaughter house..no loaner cars etc)...we truly love these vehicles.

Everyone is focusing on the "Hybrid Extra Price Tag"....as in the $4000 added to the Honda Accord Hybrid and how it will take years to break even at $2 per gallon..given the premium one paid for the hybrid....

The reality is that when you pay $22,000 as we did for the Toyota Prius and receive "actual" mileage of 42mpg (vs. sticker mileage of 50 to 60mpg)..there is really no premium spent...

The Accord will have actual mileage in the mid 20's (according to major car magazines who have reviewed it already)..vs sticker of 32-34mpg. You are also paying $30,000 to $32,000. You are still in the slightly dated body of the Accord, paying the $4000 hybrid premium and receiving mileage in the mid 20's....and losing your moonroof to boot! Is the appeal...the most fuel efficient V6 bragging rights or the Greening of America? I also believe it is not a true gas to electric hybrid as is the Prius. I am getting 50MPG when I am stuck in city traffic (in my Camry size interior)...and the Civic/Accord's engine works in reverse...as the gas is always in play..so mileage is better on the highway...

Perhaps that is the reason why Prius owners are on waiting lists till 2006? They are far from perfect cars....however...one cannot help smiling when it costs me $18 to fill up the tank every two weeks! The $360 a month car payment is worth it's weight in gold! Being frugal is in....and maybe that's why they are pictured in country clubs...and people are trading in their expensive vehicles?

I just thought that when people thought of a hybrid vehicle...they thought of gas mileage that you would read about in a future that may not be in our lifetime....like 40MPG to 60mpg? How easy it is to forget that gas has doubled in our recent past? Remember when it was around $1.00?
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    35MPG is good for the performance available. The problem is that it remains to be seen if even 35MPG is attainable in normal driving. EPA estimates on hybrids have been overly optimistic.

It's possible to get 30+ MPG on a highway trip in an EXV6 already, so if the hybrid gets under 35, the difference will be negligible.
    "Being frugal is in....and maybe that's why they are pictured in country clubs...and people are trading in their expensive vehicles? "

Ingenious Toyota Marketing in using celebreties to drive Priuses. There are so many gullible and insecure people who want to drive what celebrities drive, especially when it costs in the low 20k range. How many Prius drivers are driving because of environmental considerations and how many are driving because they feel they look like Leanardo DiCaprio behind a steering wheel?
    You are jumping to some big conclusions here. No one said the HAH uses a "different transmission" than the regular Accord. What was said is, they are different in that the HAH's is 2.4 inches shorter than the regular Accord's. How that translates into internal differences is anyone's guess--maybe someone else has seen some details on that point. I don't design automatic trannies for a living either, so I don't know if it's possible to cut 2.4 inches off the Accord's transmission without any internal changes. As for different designs, no, that does not make economic sense, but we don't know if Honda made some internal changes since the recalled units were made (I assume they did, but just what I don't know) or made some tweaks just for the HAH (shorter, more hp to deal with etc.). I don't think we know enough to jump to the conclusion that the HAH uses exactly the same transmission (except for the casing) as the regular Accord.
    It has been asserted by some people on the Town Hall hybrids discussions (some of the same people in this discussion actually) that the HCH has achieved very close to its EPA fuel economy rating in real-world driving, based on reports from owners on greenhybrid.com etc. Since the HAH uses a similar hybrid powerplant design to that of the HCH, but with the extra advantage on the highway of VCM, I think it's overly pessimistic to assume that the HAH will not return close to its EPA ratings in real-world use. A couple of short tests by lead-footed car mag testers isn't the same as real-world experience for the general public.
    The reality is that when you pay $22,000 as we did for the Toyota Prius and receive "actual" mileage of 42mpg

That is a fair price to pay for a 2004 Prius. You should be able to justify that with no problem. Even at 42 mpg you are in a very good emissions category. The HAH will not be as clean as the Prius. Plus it will be lucky to get a combined 30 mpg.
    Hi Wco81:

___I personally have misgivings about purchasing Hybrid’s at MSRP or MSRP + and I own one. Hybrid’s using HOV lanes in those states that have them (we do not here in Illinois so it really doesn’t matter), giving away Tax breaks to purchase hybrids when the average purchaser makes ~ $100,000 +/year while the cars themselves are running at MSRP and MSRP + as stated above, the hybrid has higher emissions then the std. ICE automobile of the same model, and especially those that drive them into the ground because they don’t really want to save as much fuel as the hybrid is capable of or use the tools provided to improve their FE skills in anything else they drive afterwards …

___I am not at all against the concept of receiving higher FE with decent performance in the least.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    I think it's overly pessimistic to assume that the HAH will not return close to its EPA ratings in real-world use.

Are the EPA ratings out yet for the HAH? I have not found them, if you can post the link.
    Hi Gagrice:

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=- Accord+Hybrid

___The AH’s final EPA estimates are 29 City/37 Highway. Honda is just one site that now lists the final estimates but I have seen it elsewhere around the net as well …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

I cannot speak for anyone else. I was very interested when I first test drove the Prius in 2000. I went back for a second test drive with my wife and she hated the looks and that ended it, as it was to replace her 1990 Camry. The biggest selling point was the 8 year 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty. They soon dumped that which took a lot of it's appeal for me. Then I researched here on Edmund's and found out about the Insight and then the HCH. My only complaint with the Prius and HCH has been the gouging by dealers. I think you can get a good deal on an Insight. That to me is the ultimate commuter car on the market. If I commuted to work I would buy one. I am not sure the percentage of Solo drivers on the highways during rush hours. It would make a difference if they all were driving an Insight or even a Prius or HCH. Now for the HAH. It is a high tech, high performance toy with NO environmental benefits. It is not as clean as the 4 cylinder Accords and the only mileage evidence to date is a LOUSY 25 mpg. If you want the latest in hybrid cars, go for it. Don't act like you are doing something to save our fossil fuel.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    My:

* 95 Accord EX I4 145 HP at 200K miles runs at 25 - 30+ MPG.

* V6 EX 2002 Sedan and V6 EX 2003 Coupe 240 HP run at 25 - 30+ MPG.

* Will report to you on the HAH's MPG in a couple of weeks.
  • gfedchakgfedchak Member Posts: 37
    "Looks like they just relish putting down other people's interests."

This is an astute observation. Read ENVY by Schoek, THE PSYCHOLOGY OF JEALOUSY AND ENVY by Salovey, ENVY by Boris, and CINDERELLA AND HER SISTERS: THE ENVIED AND THE ENVYING by Ann and Barry Ulanov.

The anti-HAH posters here are echoed in all of these forums. In each forum you'll find people attacking the vehicle or the technology featured in that forum.

Those who doubt the HAH would say that they're merely showing both sides of the story, or are being logical and rational and utilitarian. But if you carefully read this forum, or any other forum, you'll see that the persistence and the dedication of the doubters is way out of proportion to the topic.

As the Ulanovs say, envy is a signpost of the good. A marker, if you will. Therefore, the more HAH doubters that there are, the more prized and worthwhile the car must truly be!
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Honda's engineering philosophy is keeping its motor vehicles simple (KISS = Keep it simple stupids). In order to keep its products simple Honda indeed has mastered its sophisticated motor engineering technology and has built high performance automobiles. One of the features I am most fond of is the HAH can run by its gas engine only if the battery components is inoperational. In software design/ engineering that feature is called modular independence. It is so cool, so intelligent. On the contrary to the HAH , the Prius runs on its battery at very low speed in city. Some people said the Prius runs like an (electric) toy in the city. I am not impressed with the Prius' shape.
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    Bottom line is I've achived 30 MPG over the last 2 yrs in my vehicles and driven 28,000 miles. Don't have time to WASTE time on the math but it's a lot better than the suburb gas waster. Oh.. did I mention that I drive two people to work every day?
    I seriously doubt people are buying the Prius because Larry David drives one. That is SO OLD NEWS, it's not funny. Perhaps people are smarter than you think.
    Thanks for that post. I could NOT have said it better. As Spock would say, "that is logical". Enjoy your hybrids. I'm not envious, just jealous as I don't have one YET. :)
    The Prius shape, though odd, is better than the Accord. It has MUCH more usable space, more leg room, a hatchback. As far as safety is concerned, you can get it with Vehicle Skid Control. Why Honda omitted this I have no idea. You can get skid control in their CRV but not in the Accord. Silly??
    I think the "weirdness" of the Prius' shape attacts buyers who like something out of the ordinary, and don't mind (or even enjoy) being seen in something that is instantly recognizable as being different. The shape is very functional as well, providing maximum interior space and minimal air resistance in minimal length. HAH buyers (and Accord buyers in general) are more conservative in their tastes, IMO--which is why Honda has been very careful to keep the styling of the Accord inoffensive (some might say "boring") over the years.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Now that this vehicle is slowly becoming available, I'm getting a lot of e-mails from new members looking for pricing information. Anyone seeing ADM on these vehicles, or can it be purchased for MSRP or below?

Since we've just about pounded to death the discussion about whether an HAH is or isn't worth the money, or whether it is or is not clean enough, let's focus on features, pricing, and real-world driving experience so that this discussion is welcoming for new members who are interested in this vehicle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"seriously doubt people are buying the Prius because Larry David drives one"

Ok so much for my attempts to being a comedian. Maybe people are smarter than I think, maybe not?

This is not about intelligence!

There are a lot of geniuses who are trendy, celebrity followers and love showing off their cars at clubs.

Personally I prefer the boring low profile approach of Honda hybrids without trying to make an overt Green statement to everyone. That is my own boring opinion.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Accord is among the most stable cars you can find on the road today. Even on windy days, you would barely notice an additional movement. A Prius is far cry from it (most Toyotas, as a matter of my personal experience in fact). Comparing driving dynamics of Accord to Prius makes no sense to me.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    To add to Kirstie's post...let's keep this discussion specific to driving, owning, features of the Hybrid Honda Accord. We'll soon have a Prices Paid & Buying Experiences discussion for the vehicle to discuss individual shopping experiences (not whether or not those who aren't buying the car think it is worth the price)

If you want to debate whether or not hybrids are worth the price being asked go here > Hybrids at a premium - worth it? Will the resale values - hold?

If you want to explain why you bought a hybrid > What's your reason for buying a hybrid?

And of course for the full selection of all Hybrid Vehicles, look at the list in the Hybrid Vehicles board.

Further posting on anything other than specific to HAH ownership, features, driving will be deleted or moved from this discussion.

Thanks!
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "You can get skid control in their CRV but not in the Accord. Silly?? "

Vehicle Stability Control is standard equipment on the 2005 CR-V, but not even available on previous years. Honda is committed to putting VSC on all vehicles as standard equipment; the Accord will probably get it on the next redesign.
  • westfldudewestfldude Member Posts: 2
    * I bought my Accord Hybrid at its sticker price of $30,505 (lncluding the destination fee). The dealer was not willing to negotiate, due to multiple contract offers on the car (if mine fell through there were three others), but the dealer did not add to the sticker price, either.

* I've gone 500 miles so far. Fuel economy has averaged 30.5 mpg, combined city and HWY. Using the fuel computer onboard, the best HWY mileage I can get is 36.5 mpg at an absolutely steady 65 miles per hour on cruise control and a flat road.

* The car is very quiet and very smooth. The XM radio is excellent. Acceleration is remarkable. Handling is also very good and the ride is stable and predictable. Braking is superb.

* The Auto-stop feature is better than in the 2003 Civic Hybrid I had. The car engages the auto-stop well in stop and go traffic and keeps the engine off more appropriately than the older Civic version.

* The Accord appears to engage the electric motor assist much less than the Civic did, based on the IMA monitor. The V-6 seems seem to rely less on electric motor boost, though the regenerative brakes are very similar to the Civic Hybrid.

* The XM radio is great, as is the electric air conditioning that engages during auto-stop.

* From my early driving, it appears that the Accord Hybrid will have significantly less range on a tank of fuel than the Civic Hybrid did. Fuel range on the Civic Hybrid was a real plus for that car, but it does not appear that the Accord Hybrid will have the greatly extended range of the Civic Hybrid.

My early assessment is that this is a superb choice for the Civic Hybrid owner like myself that wanted a step up in comfort (actually, it is more like of a leap up in comfort). Much of the fuel economy of the Civic is sacrificed, though, as is the apparent range.
  • grantgrant Member Posts: 3
    Glad you like it!

See my message #1626 on the post.
    Hi Westfldude:

___Thank you for the real world ownership experience.

___Please keep us up to date. Can you post your tank over tank FE data into the Real World Hybrid Mileage Database as well? I am very interested in what a former Hybrid pilot can do with the AH as a long term owner.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes